BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 94

2011-12-27 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3943114

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: bigDH's accountability training Open For Business

Ha it seems I have a lot in common with almost everyone on here, overweight, slow, drove 500 miles for one day of Chirstmas, finished last in my first OLY,  but most importantly ethusiastic about the upcoming season! Just saw this on Fb and liked...

2011-12-27 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3956139

User image

Champion
Calgary
SportzVision - 2011-12-27 2:31 PM

rn86314 - 2011-12-27 3:23 PM

what trainer did you get??

The Kinetic by Kurt...get the power meter later this month.

That is super exciting, start putting it to good use!
2011-12-27 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

OK, here's my info:

Name:  Pauline

Story:  I have wanted to do a tri for the longest time, but I can't really swim. Am thinking I'm at the point where I need to find the right swim coach to see what I'm doing and tell me how to do it right.

Family status: Single, dating a wonderful man for four years.

Current Training: My gym is having a challenge this month so I've been doing a lot of bike riding (trying to get the most miles). Also, I'll soon begin training for my half marathon in March. So not really sure when to start "official" tri training. Since I need to improve my swim, I should be able to work on that while I'm training for my half---it will be great cross training!

This year's races: I ran five 5K's and one 10K.

2012 Races: A half marathon in March, at least four 5K's and hopefully my first tri in July!

Weightloss: My pic here is from 2008. Probably one of my best years weight wise. These days, I'm up to about 186. Need to dump this weight and get down to at least 150. Need to really clean up the eating, but have been going back to bad habits (Mt. Dew and Reeses).

On January 1st I plan on starting my weight loss goal of two pounds per week.

Looking forward to learning!

~Pauline

2011-12-27 9:05 PM

Hi I would love to join. <br><br>I'm Linda- <br><br>Never did a race but would love too. I have a hard time finding time but like everyone else need to. <br><br>I lost 50lbs 2 years ago and have gained some of it back so I need to get back on track. <br><br>I love to Spin and have gone to the gym regularly. Everyone seems in such a better place than me, I really need the push and inspiration to feel better.
2011-12-28 5:36 AM

User image

Veteran
hello <br>id like to join this group<br><br>NAME: Jayson<br><br>STORY: ive been doing dragon boat for 11years and represented canada in asia in 2010. i wanted a change and found out about triathlon. i didnt know how to swim but the local triathlon club offered swimming twice a week. i struggled to do 25m swim. nearly drowned a couple of times on my first night. i never owneda road bike until feb last year. i didnt think it was tough until i tried to wave to the other rider and fell off the ditch. i started running last nov. two years ago ii had problems with IT band and knee so jump on wearing a vibrams it served me well in half marathon and full marathon. 9months later i finished a half ironman. greatest accomplishement athletic wise so far!<br><br>Family Status:  married for 18months<br><br>CURRENT TRAINING: training for lake placid ironman 2012<br><br>THIS YEAR'S RACES:chill half marathon, goodlife full marathon, 3sprint tri and muskoka half ironman. and dragon boat national race which qualified me to rep canada again. <br><br>2012 RACES:  chilly half marsthon, goodlifehalf marathon, welland half iron, lake placid full ironman. after that i havent decidedbut possibly muskoka half ironman again. <br><br>WEIGHT LOSS: even though ive been active, my weight is never settle. ive been always above 200lbs. since i started swim bike and run i lost 25lbs!<br><br>heres to exciting 2012!<br><br>jayson<br>
2011-12-28 6:43 AM

User image

Regular
Bronx

Smile Good morning! I said I would do 3 more runs this week and one trainer ride, well, one run down, 2 to go.

What's dragon boat? The name alone makes it sound incredibly fun!

2011-12-28 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Boat 3 is my team and I'm in 2nd seat. <br><br> http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?p=5BD6FDDE71AF5546&v=ZRLlOwRmyQY
2011-12-28 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3957018

User image

Champion
Calgary
Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-28 6:20 AM

Boat 3 is my team and I'm in 2nd seat.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?p=5BD6FDDE71AF5546&v=ZRLlOwRmyQY

I can't get that link to work. I used to do some dragging boating back in the day. More DQ and beer if I recall correctly.... I do remember our coach telling us the best training for dragging boat racing was running though.

Welcome aboard.

Edited by BigDH 2011-12-28 7:58 AM
2011-12-28 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3955373

User image

Champion
Calgary
rn86314 - 2011-12-27 10:27 AM

Hey Big D

I have the time.  Work 3 days a week and can run or trainer ride after... leaves me 4 days a week for me and my boys most of that time they are in school.  So beat me up :p.  Hardest part about it is remembering that i am so far from where i was and keeping that in mind.  Mentally i want to go out and run 10 or bike 60 but physically i would be hurting for a month after that lol.

so this week Sunday to Sunday

Sun - rode the trainer for 1 hour

Mon - off (still have to fit in a date here and there)

Tues - run 5 miles (about 11:00 pace or so... seems to be my pace since starting back)

Wed - Trainer 1:30

Thurs - Swim 20x100  run 3miles

Fri - Swim 20x100  run 5 miles

Sat - Trainer 1:30

That looks like a reasonable schedule to me. Would be better if the swim days were broken up but I am sure you have practical reasons for sorting it that way.

Personally, I find the biggest problem is setting a schedule. For anything. I would highly suggest writing that on a piece of paper or better yet a calender and putting it on your fridge or desk or somewhere. Then everyday after you complete your workout you strike a line through that day. Few things are satisfying as seeing 2 or 3 months with day after day of workout crossed off.

2011-12-28 8:07 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Related to the last post, I highly suggest......nay I demand, that everyone start using their log here. I have stopped by everyone's log and notice some are using it and some are not. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start using it. Start filing those days up with beautiful tri training activity.

Also, consider stopping by other people's logs and seeing what they are up to. Drop an inspire here and there to your fellow group members. Not really a requirement but I do find it helpful to see what other people are up to. Sometimes you will see people doing much more than you, which I find motivates me to do better. Sometimes you find people who are doing much less, which when I see gives me a bit of pride in what I have been doing.

I would also suggest that if you don't work out that you put in a little entry about why. I know life is busy but sometimes just the threat of having to go in and type "little tired today, too busy, couldn't get out" in the log is enough motivation to get a 15 min run or trainer ride in, and that is certainly better than nothing.

So get LOGGING.

2011-12-28 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Hi everyone. Darren was kind enough to save me a spot in his group. I will post a bio when I have access to a computer as I can't seem to format things properly from my phone. I'm away from home for a few more days, will catch up with all of you in the new year. Cathy

2011-12-28 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3956547

User image

Champion
Calgary
pdc33 - 2011-12-27 6:49 PM

OK, here's my info:

Story:  I have wanted to do a tri for the longest time, but I can't really swim. Am thinking I'm at the point where I need to find the right swim coach to see what I'm doing and tell me how to do it right.

Current Training: My gym is having a challenge this month so I've been doing a lot of bike riding (trying to get the most miles). Also, I'll soon begin training for my half marathon in March. So not really sure when to start "official" tri training. Since I need to improve my swim, I should be able to work on that while I'm training for my half---it will be great cross training!

2012 Races: A half marathon in March, at least four 5K's and hopefully my first tri in July!

Weightloss: My pic here is from 2008. Probably one of my best years weight wise. These days, I'm up to about 186. Need to dump this weight and get down to at least 150. Need to really clean up the eating, but have been going back to bad habits (Mt. Dew and Reeses).

~Pauline

welcome Pauline. You are certainly correct in that swimming is great cross training for running. I find that when I have the time to swim am able to run even more. Something about a long swim just helps flush the system of that lactic acid and sooth my legs.

How many days a week are you planning on trying to get to the pool?
2011-12-28 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

10k run this morning, nice to get back into the swing of things.

Focusing on 1/2 marathon training(Feb.6) then onto tri training.

2011-12-28 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3953496

User image

Veteran
Maryland
SportzVision - 2011-12-25 6:44 PM

Had a great group previously and I am looking for a new one.

NAME: Cynthia

STORY: Couch potato for my entire adult life until about 2 yrs ago.  Eating chips watching 2006 IM championship, (for the 3rd or 4th time that summer), and Sister Madonna seemed to run by my t.v. screen and said why aren't YOU doing this?  I tossed my chips aside and said, "Alright Sister Madonna...I'll do it!"  Geez.  So my first year was to see if I could the 2nd was to improve...now?  Its just what I do.  I too hated running, could not swim and did not even own a bike until about 3 weeks before my first tri.  

Family Status: Married to Mr. Supportive, (he gets this and helps me in many ways) for over 27 years.  We have 3 adult daughters, spread coast to coast, and on 12/26/11 we will officially be empty nesters.  We have a punk and half of a grandson that I do believe is the cutest kid in the world of course.

CURRENT TRAINING: Started the off season with a strength training program which has made a big change in physique.  For the past two months I have been grinding out the miles and did not log much.  Will set up a training program for an OLY .  Santa brought a trainer for me and that it going to help soooo much.  I work over 70 miles from home so time is a limiter...but my biggest limiter is when I am a mental midget, as my middlest sometimes reminds me not to be.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Several sprints, Dust Devil, Napa, Donner Lake and my first OLy, the TriRock series in San Diego.  I made small improvements to my times from the previous year but not as big as I should have been made.  Out of my league in the San Diego TriRock but it was pretty cool.

2012 RACES: I will repeat the sprints and definitely the TriRock...last time I finished dead last and want to NOT do that again.  I want to be more prepared and better fueled.  

WEIGHT LOSS: I have lost over 75 pounds; none of it in the past two years, I actually weigh exactly what I weighed when I started "tri"ing.  However, I have gone down two sizes since doing triathlons. I guess a little something called muscle tone.  I have lost the 75 pounds over the years, weighing 235 at my heaviest and now 163.  I would like to get to 145 but not look like a sack of antlers, I want to be strong.

I am looking forward to a new season.  Spending Christmas day getting myself organized for the upcoming season, choosing a new training plan, setting new goals for the month of January, the year and selecting my races.  

Good luck to all!

Love Sister Madonna! And that's right, if she can do it we can do it!

You may have been last in your one tri, but at least you finished! How cool is that?

Good luck!

~Pauline

2011-12-28 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3954268

User image

Veteran
Maryland
thor67 - 2011-12-26 5:04 PM
Okay here is my story. Joined a 6 week weight loss challenge with family and friends in May of 2009...won that but decided to keep going. Dropped around 90lbs. Needed something to stay motivated so I entered a sprint triathlon in June of 2010. Liked it so much I did 1 more sprint and 2 olympics. I plan on doing at least 2 of the same races as i want to use that as a measuring stick.

Along the same lines, I decided to do a 1/2 marathon in February.

I am a clydesdale hovering between 205 and 220(like about now)

I would like to be down under 200 by race season and 190 by the August.

Swim: probably my strongest even though it doesn't feel like it.

Bike: bought a cycle trainer for the winter. have not started using consistently as I am more focussed on run.

Run:did I mention I hate running?? Not the best but not the worst.

I am looking for big improvements in my bike and run this year. Time will tell. 

I train with no one else although  I have invited 2 friends to try a triathlon and join this group. Hopefully they sign up to this group before it is closed!Smile

Wow, great job on the weight loss challenge! Any good tips? I need to lose the pounds!

~Pauline

2011-12-28 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3954290

User image

Veteran
Maryland
thor67 - 2011-12-26 5:36 PM

BigDH - 2011-12-26 3:27 PM Good day everyone. Glad we are filling up. I big welcome to Kathie and Thor. I hope everyone fended better than me over the holidays. 3 giant feasts, multple adult beverages and restless sleep. I did manage to get a pretty killer run out on the 24th though. Got out today again and managed slightly better than a shuffle which was good. Does ANYONE have plans for this week training wise. Dont be shy. Let it out. Tough to be held accountable to a plan if you never set it out! I think I have managed to shake off my brush with excess during my run today so I am really going to try to get some quality training on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Hopefully just run easy the other 2 days.

Oh, yeah I hear you about the giant feasts/adult drinks....too much Big rock Traditional!

On the plus, went for a 10k run yesterday with my wife. Beautiful day but bucking the wind all the way home. Snow was melting.

Will probably do a short run tomorrow.

I will mainly be running for January with bike and swim starting in February after my 1/2 marathon(unless I keel over during it)

For someone who says he doesn't like to run, I think it's great that you're going to do a half marathon! Have fun!

~Pauline

2011-12-28 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3956144

User image

Veteran
Maryland
katieduffy - 2011-12-27 4:32 PM

Hi! If you're still open I'd like in.

I'm turning 37 this Saturday (so I'll be 38 in USAT years, ha ha) and I'm a married mom of 1 teen in my 2nd year of triathlon. I was a (slow, heavy) runner for a few years, including lots of races and one marathon, before being plagued with injuries in 2010 and venturing into triathlon last year.

Last year I raced a mini pool sprint, two regular sprints, a du, and an olympic distance at the end of the season, for which I felt under-prepared and came in last (it was a really small field, about 60 people, but I could have been last regardless at 3:47...) I still had a great time and wound up snagging Athena podium spots twice (the last because I was the only Athena in that Oly, but whatever! I'll take it!) I learned to love my bike, and Santa just brought me a new trainer, so that'll be a nice focus until we get more daylight before and after my workday.

GOALS:

I'm hovering around 190 lbs so I'd like to take small steps toward fixing that, slowly.

Races in 2012: My A race for 2012 is a half iron, Shoreman in Port Republic, NJ, on September 8. I'd also like to give the New York City Marathon another shot for the experience but I'm not anticipating breaking any records there, just building my running aerobic engine.

So far, I'm signed up for a half marathon in May, which will really be more of a training run because I'm accompanying my sister who is kind of a novice runner and slower than I am, but it will make for a strong base. I have a duathlon in mind for the end of April, and two possible Olympic races - one 7/1 and another 8/26. The second one is iffy because it's so close to the HIM. I may throw in a couple of stand alone running races or an aquathlon depending on my $$ situation as the season progresses.

Finally (sorry this is getting so long! Jeeze!) I totally need help keeping accountable, with my training, eating, etc. I don't always have time to post a lot on the forums but I think a focused mentor group would be helpful. With that spirit, my goals for this week are to 1) lose one pound; 2) get in 3 more runs between now and Sunday, 3) get that trainer set up and get at least one good ride in.

Back in the pool (my nemesis!) and the weight room after 1/1/12.

It sounds like you have several goals, so I think that will help! And you're thinking about running the NYC Marathon again? Another of the cool ones! Maybe we'll see you on TV! Wink

~Pauline

2011-12-28 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3956699

User image

Veteran
Maryland

lhayser - 2011-12-27 10:05 PM Hi I would love to join.

I'm Linda-

Never did a race but would love too. I have a hard time finding time but like everyone else need to.

I lost 50lbs 2 years ago and have gained some of it back so I need to get back on track.

I love to Spin and have gone to the gym regularly. Everyone seems in such a better place than me, I really need the push and inspiration to feel better.

Congrats on the weightloss! That's awesome!

~Pauline

2011-12-28 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3957077

User image

Veteran
Maryland
BigDH - 2011-12-28 9:02 AM
rn86314 - 2011-12-27 10:27 AM

Hey Big D

I have the time.  Work 3 days a week and can run or trainer ride after... leaves me 4 days a week for me and my boys most of that time they are in school.  So beat me up :p.  Hardest part about it is remembering that i am so far from where i was and keeping that in mind.  Mentally i want to go out and run 10 or bike 60 but physically i would be hurting for a month after that lol.

so this week Sunday to Sunday

Sun - rode the trainer for 1 hour

Mon - off (still have to fit in a date here and there)

Tues - run 5 miles (about 11:00 pace or so... seems to be my pace since starting back)

Wed - Trainer 1:30

Thurs - Swim 20x100  run 3miles

Fri - Swim 20x100  run 5 miles

Sat - Trainer 1:30

That looks like a reasonable schedule to me. Would be better if the swim days were broken up but I am sure you have practical reasons for sorting it that way. Personally, I find the biggest problem is setting a schedule. For anything. I would highly suggest writing that on a piece of paper or better yet a calender and putting it on your fridge or desk or somewhere. Then everyday after you complete your workout you strike a line through that day. Few things are satisfying as seeing 2 or 3 months with day after day of workout crossed off.

And remember to log it here on BT! I love looking at the month of December and seeing almost every day is peach! And it automatically totals want you do each month! How cool is that!

~Pauline

2011-12-28 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3957113

User image

Veteran
Maryland
BigDH - 2011-12-28 9:15 AM

OK, here's my info:

~Pauline

welcome Pauline. You are certainly correct in that swimming is great cross training for running. I find that when I have the time to swim am able to run even more. Something about a long swim just helps flush the system of that lactic acid and sooth my legs. How many days a week are you planning on trying to get to the pool?

Thanks, Darren!

I think that since I'm such a newbie, I should probably been in the pool at least 3 days a week. However, I'm very concerned about developing bad habits that I might not be able to get rid of. Since it has been so long since I've been in the pool, I need to see where I am. I think checking out the books about Immersion Swimming would also be helpful.

My problem is, I tilt my head up rather than to the side when I'm taking a breath. That really slows me down. I know I also need to work on my balance. And the side drills, how in the world do you get your body parallel with the water surface?

So any way, that's why I'm thinking I'm gonna need to pay the right person to watch me, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and then tell me how to fix it!

Anyone have thoughts/experience with this? Sounds like you all are WONDERFUL swimmers! Smile

~Pauline

2011-12-28 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3958126

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
pdc33 - 2011-12-28 12:50 PM
thor67 - 2011-12-26 5:04 PM
Okay here is my story. Joined a 6 week weight loss challenge with family and friends in May of 2009...won that but decided to keep going. Dropped around 90lbs. Needed something to stay motivated so I entered a sprint triathlon in June of 2010. Liked it so much I did 1 more sprint and 2 olympics. I plan on doing at least 2 of the same races as i want to use that as a measuring stick.

Along the same lines, I decided to do a 1/2 marathon in February.

I am a clydesdale hovering between 205 and 220(like about now)

I would like to be down under 200 by race season and 190 by the August.

Swim: probably my strongest even though it doesn't feel like it.

Bike: bought a cycle trainer for the winter. have not started using consistently as I am more focussed on run.

Run:did I mention I hate running?? Not the best but not the worst.

I am looking for big improvements in my bike and run this year. Time will tell. 

I train with no one else although  I have invited 2 friends to try a triathlon and join this group. Hopefully they sign up to this group before it is closed!Smile

Wow, great job on the weight loss challenge! Any good tips? I need to lose the pounds!

~Pauline

I tracked all my food on livestrong.com. Joined the "dare to lose weight" forum and was active in it.

I never gave up the food I live, I just focused on portion control. Only a 6pack and a 1/2 pizza friday instead of the full dozen and a whole pizza... Smile

With all of this and more fitness, forced me to eat healthier along the way.

2011-12-28 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3958196

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Biked 16+ miles and ran 3 miles today at the gym. While I'm not going very fast, at least I have a good base for my sprint tri in July!
2011-12-28 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3958191

User image

Champion
Calgary
pdc33 - 2011-12-28 1:15 PM

BigDH - 2011-12-28 9:15 AM

OK, here's my info:

~Pauline

welcome Pauline. You are certainly correct in that swimming is great cross training for running. I find that when I have the time to swim am able to run even more. Something about a long swim just helps flush the system of that lactic acid and sooth my legs. How many days a week are you planning on trying to get to the pool?

Thanks, Darren!

I think that since I'm such a newbie, I should probably been in the pool at least 3 days a week. However, I'm very concerned about developing bad habits that I might not be able to get rid of. Since it has been so long since I've been in the pool, I need to see where I am. I think checking out the books about Immersion Swimming would also be helpful.

My problem is, I tilt my head up rather than to the side when I'm taking a breath. That really slows me down. I know I also need to work on my balance. And the side drills, how in the world do you get your body parallel with the water surface?

So any way, that's why I'm thinking I'm gonna need to pay the right person to watch me, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and then tell me how to fix it!

Anyone have thoughts/experience with this? Sounds like you all are WONDERFUL swimmers! Smile

~Pauline

wowza, I step away from the computer to go for a little jog and Pauline explodes the thread. Nice work!

fwiw I learned to swim by reading the Total Immersion Swimming book. I had little or no ability to swim. I weighed 250 lbs. What I did have was a rather strange trust in fundamental building blocks as laid out in the book. I took no lessons. I found it strange that in the book they never really talk about swimming. They talk about all those drills you do, but never about swimming. Like how to swim. Of course, the punchline is that swimming is incredibly technical.

Things I took from reading the book:

1. keep your balance in the water;
2. Reach;
3. Swimming should be no more taxing than walking.

Anyways, I was never a fast swimmer, but I got the job done and I could do it all day long. (or for at least 2 hours which was my longest swim).

The biggest problem I had, that sounds like you are having, is trust. Trust that the water will hold you up. I mean it will. It will push you right back up. I never really was 100 percent proficient at the side drills, I would crumple in the water. But I did not have tons of time for drills.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast. keep at it. I know some people offer courses in TI, maybe you could find one in your area.
2011-12-28 5:45 PM

User image

the bad habits go away with time in the water.  watch youtubes on form and see how it is done.... some people are so natural in the water it is crazy.  I never swam before i started working to do a tri... found my times at the start 2:40 for 100m and after a year of SBR I did 2.4miles in 1:10 and never even thought about it... just like with anything it is time on the road, time in the saddle, and time in the pool.

2011-12-28 7:30 PM

User image

Master
Hey everyone!  Today was my first day back at work after Christmas... I slept about an hour last night which wasn't good for work.  I have no idea why I couldn't sleep.  I even got up and checked on things around the house and went back to bed but just couldn't sleep.  Anyway I'm creating my January schedule now.  Going to try to swim twice a week, run 3 times a week and bike 3 times a week.  Monday's going to be an off day/easy day where I can choose whatever workout I want.  Still tweaking the schedule and who knows what my work schedule will be like so days may need to be switched around but it's looking good so far.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bigDH's accountability training a.k.a Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society Rss Feed  

of 94