BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RFP GROUP - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2012-04-14 5:31 AM
in reply to: #4145781

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: RFP GROUP REV 3 - OPEN

Matt and Diane - welcome.  2 notes -1) listen to Ice Man Scott and be ready to be motivated by his training.  2) learn as much as you can about swim strokes.  Then you will be able to mentor KC as he is having panic attacks after one of his workouts.Tongue out

2012-04-14 5:39 AM

User image

Veteran

SO, reason #17 why this group needed to get off of the archive section and back on top...

The night before Tim started this up my wife said,"OK I have a confession to make.  You know when KC and Dave came to see you at Ironman Louisville?  Well, I thought that was crazy.  I mean, you did not even know those people, and they were coming from Ohio and Canada to watch you race?!?"  I told her "Yes, they were in my mentor group.  We all support each other."

So she says, " Well, now that I am in a BT group, I understand.  I know the people in my group after the last 4 months of the mentor group.  I wish I could get together and party with my group."

TO the newcomers - welcome, I hope you enjoy and get as much out of this group it as much as I have.  To the returning guys - I look forward to another great season of motivation and support racing with you. 

I will leave my story later today.

2012-04-14 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4149851

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Matt - great to have you with us. I know for sure Tim and Brian will chime in on HR training and give you some great tips.

Hope you have a great ride this morning.

KC

mfoster73 - 2012-04-13 10:51 PM

Hi Everyone - wow, it's great to be part of this group that is so active!  I hope I can keep up!  

Diane, it will be great to share our newbie experiences.  For the half marathon I used an iPhone app called Hal Higdon's novice half marathon, which helped substantially.  I've now cut back on my running distances since i'm trying to change my form in an effort to avoid future injury (trying 'pose' or mid-foot/forefoot running).  It really takes a toll on your calf and achilles, so i'm trying to work up the milage slowly.  As for tri training, as it's my first attempt I thought i'd try the sprint near me that a friend in the neighborhood does, and I was searching for online training plans, which is what led me to BT.  I am currently using the basic sprint 12 week training, though i have to admit that fitting everything in is a challenge - but i'm sure i'll be able to figure out a pattern soon.  It's a heart rate training program, and while I use a HR monitor all the time (aside from swimming), I feel like the suggestion to keep it in zones 1-2 doesn't give me enough workout, and it's difficult not to end up near my max HR on the hills we have in central Virginia (so I have to chuckle when it says to do the workout on a flat course - i figure if it's hillier i just get more workout).  I do make sure to keep my HR well below my max (184) most of the time (normally don't get over 175 but hover there for the majority of most workouts).

It's been chilly this past week which was nice for outdoor runs and bike rides, and it's going to be gorgeous here in Charlottesville tomorrow (77 degrees!), and then we hit 90 on Sunday!  They may have to open the lake for open water swims early!

I'm really looking forward to being part of this group and hearing suggestions and such from all the members.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, but need to get some sleep at the moment to get out on my bike early tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Matt

2012-04-14 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4150017

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Thanks Brian Tongue out

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-04-14 6:31 AM

Matt and Diane - welcome.  2 notes -1) listen to Ice Man Scott and be ready to be motivated by his training.  2) learn as much as you can about swim strokes.  Then you will be able to mentor KC as he is having panic attacks after one of his workouts.Tongue out

2012-04-14 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4150027

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Brian - it was awesome and I would do it again. Is your wife thinking full IM?

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-04-14 6:39 AM

SO, reason #17 why this group needed to get off of the archive section and back on top...

The night before Tim started this up my wife said,"OK I have a confession to make.  You know when KC and Dave came to see you at Ironman Louisville?  Well, I thought that was crazy.  I mean, you did not even know those people, and they were coming from Ohio and Canada to watch you race?!?"  I told her "Yes, they were in my mentor group.  We all support each other."

So she says, " Well, now that I am in a BT group, I understand.  I know the people in my group after the last 4 months of the mentor group.  I wish I could get together and party with my group."

TO the newcomers - welcome, I hope you enjoy and get as much out of this group it as much as I have.  To the returning guys - I look forward to another great season of motivation and support racing with you. 

2012-04-14 6:57 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Ok team - this is probably my last post until Monday.

Have a great weekend.

KC

2012-04-14 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4149674

User image

Expert
kcgolf - 2012-04-13 7:30 PM

OK - I have a question for the more experienced members here - Scott, Brian, Sarah, Tim - I am the rookie Wink. I had to shuffle a few things around regarding my workout schedule this weekend and based on a real busy day yesterday and a late evening spent at the college athletic awards dinner I decided to skip my early morning swim. This is the first swim I have missed since my plan started and I feel bad about it. I know all of you know I worry about my swimming anyway but I was wondering if you had some tips on how you should approach missed workouts? I also moved my long bike from Sunday to today because I will be away Sunday and I am just wondering, because that means I will miss a medium bike and a medium run - should I try to make them up or just keep with my normal plan at the start of next week? Thanks.

KC - I wouldn't worry about missing a swim or even a 1 or 2 medium workouts.  Come August it is not really gonna have any impact on your fitness on race day and actually trying to cram a bunch of medium workouts late in the week is increasing your risk of injury.  I would just try to get in what you can and then resume your training on Monday.  I have also found that I am constantly shuffling workouts around and and due to that I am in the same boat and have missed a few workouts (usually my run).  In my opinion if you are going to miss something I would skip a run - you can recover so much more quickly with biking and swimming.  Like David always says - we are not professionals and do this for fun.  Now if you were training for a Kona slot might be a different story... haha

2012-04-14 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4149851

User image

Expert

Matt - Brian is the HR guy and I have learned a lot from him over the past year but here is my two cents....

HAVE FAITH!!!!

The main reason for the HR training is to build your aerobic base.  I would suggest doing most of your workouts in Z1-Z2 and then 1-2 workouts with some time in Z4-Z5.  While those higher HR workouts are helping to build your speed and anaerobic system you also want to build your overall fitness and aerobic system.  I am a crazy obsessed with staying injury free and if you do all of your workouts in Z4/Z5 you are  eventually gonna get hurt.  You need to let your body recover with those Z1/Z2 workouts.

For my IM training the past 9 weeks EVERY workout has been in Z1-Z2 and I have never felt in better shape than I am right now.  When I started I was doing my Z2 runs at 10:15/mile pace and now I am doing them around 8:50/9:00 pace. That is proof enough for me that it works - but it takes patience and faith.

Good luck and if you have any questions let us know!

mfoster73 - 2012-04-13 9:51 PM

Hi Everyone - wow, it's great to be part of this group that is so active!  I hope I can keep up!  

Diane, it will be great to share our newbie experiences.  For the half marathon I used an iPhone app called Hal Higdon's novice half marathon, which helped substantially.  I've now cut back on my running distances since i'm trying to change my form in an effort to avoid future injury (trying 'pose' or mid-foot/forefoot running).  It really takes a toll on your calf and achilles, so i'm trying to work up the milage slowly.  As for tri training, as it's my first attempt I thought i'd try the sprint near me that a friend in the neighborhood does, and I was searching for online training plans, which is what led me to BT.  I am currently using the basic sprint 12 week training, though i have to admit that fitting everything in is a challenge - but i'm sure i'll be able to figure out a pattern soon.  It's a heart rate training program, and while I use a HR monitor all the time (aside from swimming), I feel like the suggestion to keep it in zones 1-2 doesn't give me enough workout, and it's difficult not to end up near my max HR on the hills we have in central Virginia (so I have to chuckle when it says to do the workout on a flat course - i figure if it's hillier i just get more workout).  I do make sure to keep my HR well below my max (184) most of the time (normally don't get over 175 but hover there for the majority of most workouts).

It's been chilly this past week which was nice for outdoor runs and bike rides, and it's going to be gorgeous here in Charlottesville tomorrow (77 degrees!), and then we hit 90 on Sunday!  They may have to open the lake for open water swims early!

I'm really looking forward to being part of this group and hearing suggestions and such from all the members.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, but need to get some sleep at the moment to get out on my bike early tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Matt

2012-04-14 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4150027

User image

Expert

So true.  I have been involved with 3 groups over the past few years and this is the only group where I have actually met some of the members.  Glad that your wife understands that Brian - my wife is still skeptical of how I can be good friends with people online haha

Brian - how are you feeling? 

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-04-14 5:39 AM

2012-04-14 11:02 AM

User image

Expert

Diane - This is a mentor group for everyone to help each other out - regardless of your experience.  Stick with us and you will learn a ton and we'll help you get through your training - and although you doubt it now I guarantee we will all learn a bunch of stuff from you

We continued this group because we wanted to get some new blood and fresh opinions.

BTW - nice work on the 7 mile run in the rain and cold and after giving blood - Just so you know "RFP" stands for "Relentless Forward Progress" so you fit in this group nicely-haha

2012-04-14 11:13 AM

User image

Expert

Had a show last night downtown Chicago in this real popular area (real clubby area).  There are always girls jumping on stage and dancing and I have never had any issues but last night this girl in stiletto heels decided to dance (step) on my foot -ouch!!  I need to watch out for that inthe future. I am always worried about getting hurt running or biking and never worried about getting hurt at a show - one more thing to add to my worry list -haha

I am curious to see what my HR gets up to at shows and might actually wear my monitor once to see.  I get a great workout in and even last night about 3/4 thru the show I was doubled over trying to catch my breath before we started the next song -If KC can log housework then I should be able to log that right-haha ?

2012-04-14 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi everyone! Do you have room for one more? If so I will post my bio later. Thanks!
2012-04-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4150443

User image

Expert

Welcome aboard - looking forward to your bio!

krazytallchick - 2012-04-14 11:37 AM Hi everyone! Do you have room for one more? If so I will post my bio later. Thanks!

2012-04-14 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

NAME: krazytallchick/Kathy

STORY: I started out running about 10 years ago after I was asked to be the race diector for the St Louis Race for the Cure and I had no clue how 5k races worked. So I started running races to get ideas. Let's just say I enjoyed it and started running HM and Marathons. Then about 6 years ago I wanted something different so I bought a bike and joined a weekly bike ride. Year after that a rider was talking about doing a sprint triathlon and I thought why not give it a try. I remember after the race I felt like crap and told my husband I would never did that again let alone go longer.  It took me 2 years later to do it again.  Let year another rider and I were talking about our ultimate dreams of completing a IM that we signed up for a HIM.

FAMILY STATUS: Married too a very supporting husband (17 years), a very active black lab named Raven. No kids unless you count the husband and dog and something they do act like kids.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2 Olympics triathlons and Augusta 70.3

CURRENT TRAINING: I am working with a coach and together we are working on me to cross that finish line in Louisville.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 26.2 with Donna marathon in Feb, HIM in June and IMKY in August.  I managed to cut 20 minutes off my marathon time.  

WEIGHTLOSS: I like to eat!! I have been lucky with my weight and never really had to worry about it. I would like to lose about 10 pounds that I seemed to put on over the holidays.

Edited by krazytallchick 2012-04-14 12:04 PM
2012-04-14 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran

Krazy Tall -welcome.  I did IMKY last year.  I will be doing a group ride or 2 with the I Am Tri club in Louisvile and supporting a few friends on race day.  Can't wait to see you on 4th street also.

KC - feel free to rearrange a workout or 2 if you need to.  Keep in mind the intensity of those workouts though.  You don't want to do a hard tempo run the day before a hard bike ride or recovery will be limited.  As for trying to make up as missed workout - not advised.  Missed it (especially 1 of your 3 weekly swims) - no porblem.  Just get back on track the next week.

Tim - I would love to know your HR onstage.  I am so HR geeky that I wore it to Busch Gardens to see how it went up on the coasters.

Matt - lower HR during easy training runs will earn you faster times on speedwork / tempo days and consequently on race day.  I fought a buddy to try it for his half marathon training.  He was peaked at about 7:45 per mile for his last few races.  After doing a slower HR based training for the past 5 months, he is primed to go for next race (2 weeks) in 7:10 or faster.  He just told me about his recent runs this morning - so I am happy to share his good news.

supporting my wife and 2 daughters in sprint tri tomorrow morning.  wife 400yard swim, 10 mile bike, 3 mile run.  Kids 200 yard swim, 3 mile bike, 1 mile run.

2012-04-14 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

I'm in again too! 

Here's a little background on me:  I live in Milwaukee, WI with my husband and our little lizard named Mojo.  I am an athletic trainer/instructor at a small university just outside Milwaukee.  I have played soccer since I was 5, and about five years ago while recovering from ACL reconstruction surgery on my knee (soccer injury), I decided I wanted to try a triathlon.  My first one was the Chicago Triathlon Supersprint, and I have been hooked on the sport ever since.  I have completed many sprints, a couple Olympic-distance races, one half-ironman and a marathon, and have now "walked the plank" and will be attempting my first Ironman this September (Ironman Wisconsin). 

It has been an interesting road for me, I have made many rookie mistakes along the way (swam Chicago with a snorkel; lost my bike in transition; had to ask a friend how to inflate my bike tires right after I got my road bike; etc.) but I have loved every moment of it.  I am learning how to effectively balance my time this year, with all the Ironman training, working full-time (well, actually more than full-time) and taking three classes towards my doctorate.  I guess you can say I like challenges.   But, I love the journey and pushing myself to do things I previously thought I couldn't do. 

I'm looking forward to continuing with this group and meeting everyone who is new!

Jenny

2012-04-14 6:17 PM

New user

Hi everyone.  Did a gentle 14 mi ride on rolling hills today with a friend and just took a look at my times in HR zones.  

Tim, Brian --- First, I'm not sure that I have them set up correctly.  At the moment i have it set for Z1 at 60-70%, Z2 at 70-80% and Z3 at 80-90%.  I have my max HR set at 186.  According to http://www.sarkproducts.com/targetzonecalculator.htm using my resting HR (75) and age (39) I should have max HR of 183.  I know if I want to be more accurate I should do a LT test of some sort, but I haven't gotten there yet.  Anyhow, based on my current (probably wrong) settings described above, on this ride I was in Z1 (60-70%) for 18 min, Z2 for 33 min, Z3 for 11 min, and over Z3 for 1 minute.  I'm wondering:

1. are my zone settings on my watch completely wrong and should the percentages be changed, and

2. was this bike ride putting me way above the zone 1/2 workout I was supposed to do today

We have lots of hills around the area where I ride so it's hard for me not to hit 175 or so on some of the steeper uphills.  With the running it's a bit easier to control and i can slow my pace down.

Thanks so much already for people's input! 

Best,

Matt

2012-04-14 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Welcome everyone.  LOTS of experience here.  Looking forward to learning.

Iceman

2012-04-14 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I did 2 hours on the computrainer with 4 X 1 min VO2 @ 135%, 2 X 15 mins LT at 95% and then 4 X 1 min VO2 followed a endurance pace and single pedal drills.  Did 30 mins brick. Then took a break and went to gym for 30 mins of kettlebells and a hot tub. Ahhh.  Tomorrow is a 2 hour endurance pace on the CT due to expected rain and an hour semi private swim lesson.  They have worked wonders.

Recovered 95% from a nasty cramp in my lower leg from coming off the pool wall with my toes.  Not a good thing.  The training is going well.  Probably will add Racine 70.3 to the half at Branson.  All good.

Coaching course is HARD, but fun to learn. 

Loving this stuff. 

Ice.

2012-04-15 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4150894

User image

Expert

Yeah I would recommend doing the LT test - I have used the one on this site for a couple of years and find it to be pretty accurate.  Also remember your zones are gonna different for your bike and run. For example my bike Z2 is 134-146 and my run Z2 is 154-164.  The zones on your watch are probably somewhat accurate but I would recommend just taking the time to do the testing - here is the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633 - then plug these numbers into the training log HR settings.

If you are riding a lot of hills make sure you use your gearing correctly and spin up those hills the best you can.  Focus on your HR not your pace.

mfoster73 - 2012-04-14 6:17 PM

Hi everyone.  Did a gentle 14 mi ride on rolling hills today with a friend and just took a look at my times in HR zones.  

Tim, Brian --- First, I'm not sure that I have them set up correctly.  At the moment i have it set for Z1 at 60-70%, Z2 at 70-80% and Z3 at 80-90%.  I have my max HR set at 186.  According to http://www.sarkproducts.com/targetzonecalculator.htm using my resting HR (75) and age (39) I should have max HR of 183.  I know if I want to be more accurate I should do a LT test of some sort, but I haven't gotten there yet.  Anyhow, based on my current (probably wrong) settings described above, on this ride I was in Z1 (60-70%) for 18 min, Z2 for 33 min, Z3 for 11 min, and over Z3 for 1 minute.  I'm wondering:

1. are my zone settings on my watch completely wrong and should the percentages be changed, and

2. was this bike ride putting me way above the zone 1/2 workout I was supposed to do today

We have lots of hills around the area where I ride so it's hard for me not to hit 175 or so on some of the steeper uphills.  With the running it's a bit easier to control and i can slow my pace down.

Thanks so much already for people's input! 

Best,

Matt

2012-04-15 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4151558

New user

Thanks Tim.  I'll try doing the LT test this week.  Luckily I put a 'granny gear'/small chain ring on my bike a couple years back for the hills, which allows me to spin quickly even up the hills.  Thanks for the tips!  I'll take a look at the link you sent.

2012-04-15 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Hey Guys,

Tim, Thanks for the message. I tapered off at the end of the last group. way too much going on at home, but I'm in again if you'll have me Embarassed

I got my longest run to date in today - 17 miles. It was slow and I had some trouble keeping my HR in Z2 and my legs were toast by the end, but I'm glad I got it done. I have 9 weeks to go for the mary and a 1/2 may in 2 weeks.

Welcome to all the new folks. This is a GREAT group.

2012-04-15 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran

Good job Deb - Cant wait to hear how your 1/2 Mary goes.  What one are you doing?

I watched my wife panic through another pool swim today.  She just cannot swim in races - came in 8th from last. She did make up for it by beating 100 plus on the bike and 200+ on the swim.  My girls raced as well today.  Both had tough swims, one had a tough bike as well.  But they kept going and finsihed strong.  When I am at the othere computer I will send a photo of my 8 year old fininshing.

I had a tough time watching them, it is usually me racing with them supporting me.  so, after we got home I went to the pool for a 1500 yard swim at 75-80% pace, then right out to the trail for a 3 mile run.  Felt good throughout, we will see how the hip feels tomorrow. 

I think I am going to take this recent slow down in running to change shoes.  I tried on some Brooks Pures - their minimalist shoes - and really liked them.  I was hesitant to buy, but think I will try out the different running style they provide.  Has anyone made the switch to minimalist shoes?  (Newtons, 5 fingers, etc)

2012-04-15 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4152167

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Brian- I currently run in Newtons (i think they are called distancia or something like that). I LOVE them. I am naturally more of a forefoot runner, and I love having the lugs on the ball of the foot. They definetely take some getting used to, you will feel your calves burning after the first couple runs. But, I have felt that they have helped to improve my running form from the rocking motion created by the lugs. My other favorite minimalist shoe is the Saucony Fastwitch shoe- Kate Major (female pro who took 2nd at Racine 70.3 in 2010) wears them and I talked to her after the race about them, and decided to give them a try- I love those shoes as well and keep a pair handy in case I need a break from the Newtons. I wore the Fastwitch for the Lakefront Marathon and for Racine last year and they were awesome.Deb- nice work on the long run- very impressive! When is your race? I am doing the Door County half marathon with my husband on May 5th- it will be his first half marathon, so I am excited to run it with him.I got 35 miles in on the bike yesterday- the wind was insane. I felt like the entire ride, I was going into the wind. The worst of it was on the way back in- and then when I got back, I realized I lost my pack with my tire levers, CO2 cartridges, spare tube, multi-tool, etc. on the ride. Thankfully I didn't need to use it on my ride, but that was not a cheap replacement. I did a brick so did 20 minutes run after- wow, it's amazing how slow and sluggish my legs feel coming off the bike. It took half a mile for me to feel like I was running with a normal stride.Tomorrow is a day off for me- it will be a stressful day, I have a meeting at school regarding my doctorate which is causing me some anxiety, so I may need to enjoy a glass of wine tomorrow evening to unwind!Have a great night everyone!Jenny
2012-04-15 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Everyone!  Thanks so much for making me feel part of the group already.

Jennifer, it looks like we will be experiencing our first IM together.  I don't know about you, but I have already had anxiety attacks about it.  

Deb, one thing I keep reminding myself on those long runs is that it is suppose to be slower then your race pace.  So don't worry (easier said then done but it is true).

Brian, congratulations on your families tris this weekend.  I am going to do one of the group training events with the I am Tri. 

Kathy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RFP GROUP - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 39