Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-01-06 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1115197

New user
North Carolina
Subject: RE: TRI4ALL - Is Now FULL
Hi Tim,
As you know from mountain biking, it takes a a while to get used to a saddle. I recommend the fit kit. They will still tweak your position a bit when it is done but it will save you many trips back and forth to the shop changing this and that until it feels right. You knees will thank you for it too. Be sure to wear you bike shorts when you are getting fit.
If you put your mountain bike on your trainer, be sure to put a slick tire on the back. The trainer will chew up a mountain bike tire real quick. If you don’t want to change a tire in and out, talk to your bike shop. They usually have a used wheel or a cheap wheel sitting around and a used cog. It may be a bit out of true but it will be fine for a trainer.
Also for everyone else thinking about a trainer. Don’t put it on moma’s nice carpet. You will sweat and sling chain grease everywhere. I once had a landlord that wasn’t too happy with me.

Dale

2008-01-06 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Hey Elizabeth!  - Congrats on the Specialized!  I have two Specialized mtn bikes and absolutely love them.  A guy up the street has a Specialized roadie I wish he'd sell... 

Do you have any yard in your area or a park?  Practicing clipping in and clipping out in the yard is a great way to get your timing down and is less painful than falling on concrete or asphalt.  Technically, your seat height, when you are seated on the bike, should (generally speaking - depends on the person) only allow your toes to touch the ground, but you can lower your seat for some "yard time."  Mark your seatpost (scratch, paint, nail polish, tape) where it is now and then lower it some so your feet can touch the ground comfortably (i.e. almost flat).  Clip in, ride several feet, stop, clip out, touch the ground.  Repeat bunches!  This is a great drill to get familiar with the process and especially the timing.  Don't forget to raise your seatpost back to the original position! 

Hope everyone had a good week of working out!  I was able to get some decent ab / core sessions in and finally ran a mile since my knee(s) started giving me problems Christmas Day morning.  Had a few good bike sessions too.  Did a brick today - biked 15 miles then ran a little over two miles.  Left knee began to file a major protest less than a half a mile from the end.  If they don't hurt tomorrow, I'll be a  happy camper!

I snagged some "Perfect Pushup" toys (www.PerfectPushup.com) from Dicks for $39.99 after Christmas.  K-Mart advertised them today for $19.99.   Great item for working out at home!  Comes with a workout chart and a DVD.  Love them!

Dale mentioned bike trainers.  A bike trainer is a great way to get a work out done when it is otherwise too cold to ride outside or rainy.  Or, if you want a consistet 20 or 30 minute workout in the mornings before you go to work!  I generally use my trainer in the garage and Linkin Park on the iPod makes it tolerable.  Some folks will bring them inside and set them in front of the TV, but my current tire on the road bike "sheds" rubber when on the trainer and I'm seeing white threads showing!  (A mtn bike in the trainer is WAY too noisy for me.)  I've ordered some new tires.  A trainer will "eat" your rear tire as it will eventually "square" your rear tire.  On that note, your trainer should only lightly 'touch' your rear tire.  There are rear tires specifically for a bike trainer and you may consider investing in one ($18 - $30), especially if you have more than one bike and you can keep one bike "parked" in the trainer with the trainer tire on that bike.  I was told at a bike shop that a trainer tire is NOT for use on the road.

Let me digress for a second about your pedals.  Buy another set of your clipless pedals or your toe clips if you "park" a 2nd bike in a trainer.  Buying a pedal wrench will go a long way in switching out your pedals.  Practice pedaling in circles when on the trainer.  Let your trainer time be a great place to develop good pedaling habits - it is easier to focus on good pedaling form when not having to look for traffic, etc.  Don't be a "masher", unless you want to stand up and attack a hill.  Standing up is a good way to relieve pressure on your backside though.

I've seen trainers on sale around $90 at www.PerformanceBike.com  and www.BikeNashbar.com .  They make sweat covers to go over your top tube and mats to go under the bike as well.  There are a gazillion (that is a technical term) DVDs that you can watch as you ride (Carmichael Training Systems, www.spinervals.com/).

Rollers are another way to go and generally go for about $100.  You are riding your bike, balanced, on rollers.  I don't have any and have never ridden on a set.  They have a larger footprint than a trainer and I've heard they require excellent balance.  You can see pictures of rollers at the above websites.  I'd almost prefer a set of rollers over a "drainer" (yes, that was a deliberate letter "d" because you are actually balancing on your bike.  I find myself getting very bored on a trainer and not focusing well.  A trainer can still be a decent workout tho - better than none at all!

Timmeh! - Like Dale says, definitely get the fit kit!  No better way to tailor your bike than to let the bike shop do it.  Ask them if they'll throw it in for free since you are spending $$$ on the bike.  If they won't, what about half price?  Can't hurt!

Shout if anyone has questions!

Terry

Edited by orange223 2008-01-06 6:56 PM
2008-01-07 10:44 AM

Veteran
Not to start a debate or anything but why do you need "perfect push ups bars"? Why not just do a normal push up on the ground? What do those things do specail?
2008-01-07 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
For me, regular pushups hurt my wrists, so when I do them I make a fist and then push up against my knuckles in order to keep my wrists straight. I was figuring that the pushup gadgets would just make it more comfortable to do.
2008-01-07 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

The Perfect Pushup things rotate 45° and are supposed to affect more muscles in the shoulders.  I had a nasty mtn bike wreck almost two years ago and my left wrist still hurts in a normal pushup position.  The PP thing allows me to grip a padded bar, so to speak, almost like a bike handlebar.  There is a video on the website. 

Terry

2008-01-07 3:02 PM

Veteran
Okay. Cool. If it works, it works.

2008-01-07 6:52 PM

New user
North Carolina
Speaking of toys, if you have a family history of heart disease or you have a history of heart disease you should get a heart rate monitor. Polar is the leader in heart rate monitors. As with most electronics they have models ranging from basic to extreme that you can download data to your PC. I have used the lower end model of Polar monitors for years. I thought I got a deal on a Timex. I used it for one race, and the watch got kicked in the water. That was the end of the Timex. Heart rate monitors are great for keeping you honest during your workouts.
2008-01-07 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

I would like to know more about heart rate training and HR zones.  I've never delved into that arena and am very interested.  I've seen some threads on HR training on BT.  A friend of mine just bought a (Timex?) watch with an HR monitor for about $70 at REI.  If I do buy one, I'd love to learn how to apply this type of training to benefit my/our training as a group.  Let's Roll!

Am enjoying Jayne Williams' book on the "Slow, Fat Triathlete!"  Something funny, in the recent warmer weather here outside of Nashville, TN, our 11 year old has been playing roller hockey at our neighborhood basketball court.  So far in a few days, he has 3 blisters and a very swollen ankle, another kid has had to have his braces adjusted and one more has a mild concussion.  Hehehehhe.  Later, I'd love to do a thread on how, as Dale said, "Life Happens" and how it affects our training.

Terry

2008-01-07 10:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
I currently use a Polar RS200 heart rate monitor and I credit it for providing me the most improvement in my running. It turns out I am absolutely terrible at gauging my pace and intensity. Once I started using the HRM I found that I was running too fast, spending most of my time anaerobic, and I didn't have any endurance. By monitoring my pace and keeping my heart rate at 75-80% I made incredible (for me) progress. I never work out without it now.
2008-01-08 9:37 AM

Veteran
Okay, question about running since we are talking about HRMs. I don't own one. My philosophy has been to run as fast and hard as possible. I have started an hour long run before doing a 6:55 mile and then by the end of the hour I'll be running right under 10 minute miles. Obviously I slow down as I run. I guess a solid average for my hour run, per mile, would be: 7:05, 7:40, 8:30, 8:40, 9:00, 9:30, 9:30. Is there any detriment or benefit to running like I do, than say just putting the treadmill on 7 mph and staying at that pace for the entire time?
2008-01-08 7:01 PM

New user
North Carolina
Running, like life, is best with variety. In the running lingo you are doing interval training. That’s great for building speed but you need some long slow runs too. All speed work puts a heavy load on your heart and knees and will increase you chance for injury. Your muscles also need time to recover. I am the exact opposite. I would rather trod along at 10 min per mile pace for hours than do intervals any day. But like you, I need to mix it up. Check out http://www.runnersworld.com BTW I am jealous of your sub 7 min miles. It's been decades since I have seen anything that fast .

There are several books on training with heart rate monitors and I sure a bunch of free stuff on the Web. Like all my other suggestions, everyone is different and you have to find what works for you.

2008-01-08 9:31 PM

Veteran
I wish I saw this before I went to the gym tonight. I ran 3 miles in 24:50 (7:10, 8:30, & 9:10). But after that my left knee tweaked up again like last Tuesday and I ended up just walking 1.8 miles in the next 25:10. And again, like last week, my knee had no bearing on my bike as I did a fast (for me) 13 miles in 40 minutes. I think you may be on to something about the slower miles. I am going to "jog" Thursday and try and keep it between 5.5 and 7.2 MPH for as long as I can go.

* One negative thing these online training logs do have an effect on is that when I run I track every stat. Then they post totals for the week, month, etc. and I can see how I progress. I keep thinking it is "bad" to run slower than the previous week or month and I have to get over that mental wall. I am like "I ran 7.5 miles in an hour 2 weeks ago and only 6.5 miles in an hour last week. What is wrong? Why am I not getting faster" and not taking into consideration muscle/joint fatigue and the need to mix it up.
2008-01-09 2:39 AM

New user

Hi Everyone,

Not to much to report.. only that I did sign up at the YMCA, so I could join their Masters Swim program. I will miss my gym, but the Y has quite a few aquatic offerings. I plan to try out my first practice on Thursday.. and then finally I will have something to put in my log.

My knee has really been acting up, so I am hoping that the swimming will make it feel better.

I can't comment on the running discussion to much because I subscribe to the Galloway method. If you are not familiar with it, it is a run/walk routine. I do believe that it is not only for novice runners, but more elite athletes who want to prevent injury. I have known several people to finish a marathon sub 4 using this method.. so I think its great.

I do run with a HRM.. I splurged and bought the Garmin 305 a year or so ago. It was worth every penny. I love it. I do watch my HR zones and I also am able to tell when I haven't been exercising and am a bit out of shape when my HR is high. So, I use it to not only show my conditioning, but watch my fitness level.

Question.. I am wanting to do some spinning classes. Can this make up for time not spent on a bike? How much does this differ?
2008-01-09 9:42 AM

Veteran
I went to Galloway high school - started by Commander Galloway (Jeff's dad). Jeff is a great guy. He was/is a great runner as well. My philosophy is that running is running and walking is walking. I'll admit that stopping for a walk break helps me last longer and gives me a bit of a rest, but that's not really "running". I doubt Jeff Galloway took walk breaks when he won the Peachtree Road Race or went to the Olympics. It's a great marketing idea and it really works in getting people who might normally run to run but i totally see where the old guard gets miffed at all the 5--6 hour marathon walkers out there calling themsevles runners.
2008-01-09 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey Everyone,

Just checking in with my $.02 worth on the running subject. (Actually it's probably not $.02 worth of info because I am a VERY slow runner

I read Jon Bingham's book "Marathoning for Mortals", and it helped me a great deal. Basically the two major principals I came away with were, it is ok to slow down to be able to go long, and a variety of work outs are in order, like what Dale has mentioned. There are also some great training plans in the book as well (running only, not triathlon specific).

Another thing that has worked for me (especially during a race) is the concept of negative splits. I run the first half of the race at a sustainable endurance pace, then at some point I start running at a progessively faster pace, until at the finish your giving it all that you've got. For me any way, it seems to work better than starting off fast and then gradually slowing down. Again, I must emphasize the term "fast" must be taken with a grain of salt in reference to my abilities!

I'm currently reading "The Complete Triathlon Book", by Matt Fitzgerald. He goes much deeper into the variety and periodization of the workout which is way over my head, but I like to leave the book laying around so when people come over they look at it, then at me, and then get a kind of confused look on their face!

John - I feel your pain on the whole logging of training thing. I'm obsessed with it and absolutley do not like to go backwards. I have been doing it all pen and pencil, and just recently switched to using this site. I like what you said, keeping in mind stress/fatigue levels when looking at logged training. This week in particular is even hard on me as I'm flat on my back in bed with the flu, and am not logging any time what so ever. My wife keeps telling me its all about balance.

Elizabeth - Congrats on the Masters swim program. I looked into getting into one here, but there is only one and they meet 30 minutes away from me at 5:30am! I just don't think I can do that right now. I have been taking the "Y" spinning class and am liking it. I can't wait for the weather to clear and to get a bike though! One thing I have noticed is that the spinning class is completely different depending on who is leading it, which is good because I like the variety.

Well, I'm going to go find some more nyquill and dream of being healthy again

Have a good week everyone!

Tim
2008-01-09 2:43 PM

Veteran
This site rocks. I love it. But www.runnersworld.com has a really cool and much easier training log. They are both good. I use the runners world one for raw data. This one is good too though

2008-01-09 6:25 PM

New user
North Carolina
Nice discussion everyone on running. Keep in mind with Galloway that he is trying to encourage new runners to take up long distance running and make a few bucks which is OK by me. Anything that gets people more active benefits us all. Spinning classes can be good for the knees just be careful when they crank up the resistance to go up hill that you don’t put too much stress on your sore knees.

What you guys are talking about with your logs is called being married to your logs. You feel that if you don’t show him/her some love or attention that it will be disappointed in you and that you are not working hard enough. That love is OK as long as you keep it in perspective with everything else going on in your life. The log needs to be balanced with work, family and the rest of your demands. Also, just because the plan and the log say it’s time for a long run and your feeling trashed, remember quality beats quantity.

Tim, see if you can get in touch with the masters coach. Some of them will take a student on the side and give you some stroke pointers. Elizabeth, I hope you have a good group to work with
2008-01-10 6:38 PM

New user
North Carolina
Hi All,
I hope everyone is making progress in finding a training plan. If not speak up. Let’s start talking about nutrition. I am going to cover it in three parts pre race, race day and weight loss. Most books on tris leave nutrition to the end. Unfortunately, bad nutrition before and during a race can destroy months worth of training. So I am recommending that you start experimenting with your pre race and race day nutrition now. Most plans have their hardest parts about half to two thirds of the way through. You want to have your nutrition locked down before this time. This part of your training is as close as you will get to race day conditions during your training. Also if you are going to have a nutrition problem, now is the time to have it while you still have time to make changes. Carbo loading is now considered old school, which I guess is why I still do it. The current trend now is to increase your carbs 4 days before the race. I have pasta the night before with the smallest percentage of fiber content that I can find with grated cheese. Race day breakfast is a bowel of corn flakes and half a bagel. If I have more than an hour and a half drive to the race, I have the other half while I am unloading my stuff. All of my nutrition problems have occurred when I have deviated from my usual. Also, if you are staying out of town for your race, you will need to plan on how you are going to handle your evening meal. I stick mine in a cooler and stay in places that have a microwave in the room or in the lobby.

The main takeaway, start now working on your nutrition plan and don’t make any changes until preparing for the next event.

2008-01-10 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

The lonely and scary wail of tornado sires today.... It was dark as night at 2:15 this afternoon...  almost nuked my swim tonite.... but it was only rotating thunderstorms.

I have a fairly good nutrition plan in place, Hammer Sustained Engery 3 hours before competition (on an empty stomach), GU or Hammer Gel during (1 x hour or 45 minutes), water or Hammer HEED during (dependeng on duration - 16 oz max/hour) Hammer Recoverite immediately afterwards and/or once an hour until a solid meal is consumed. 

Two Questions - Anyone battle leg cramps?  I sweat heavily.  A reputable triathlon store here recommended a capsule called ZMA; Zinc, Magnesium SomethingOrTheOther.  I've tried it over the winter and it seems to work.  Am ready for warm weather to try it in the heat.  I take an extra calcium pill during race week.

- Anyone know how much protien we need daily?  I'm sure age, workout intensity/rest day may all be factors.  After each workout, I do an estimated ratio of 3:1 carbs to protein using powdered whey protein and a glass of fuit juice and/or a banana.  Sometimes after dinner, I'll do a little more whey "to sleep on."

Terry

2008-01-10 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1149082

User image

Northern NY
Anyone have any good resources on the nutrition piece? I really need to get this under wraps but its going to take more than my current level of knowledge.

My workout plan...right now is to do something every other day just to keep anything I gained during the fall and start to build into a plan. I'm not too structured right now..but will need to be soon.

Dave
2008-01-10 10:27 PM

Veteran
The ZMA I take is Zinc/Magnesium and Calcium. Not sure what the 'A' is for? LOL. The funny thing is that Victor Conti - the owner of Balco and a big steroid dealer - made his fortune by introducing ZMA to the supplement market in the 1990's. Small world.

I myself never cramp so I can't help you.

I do not have a training plan or nutrition plan. Consider me the slow kid so someone feel free to point me in the right direction. My plan for the last 6 months is this: go to the gym 3 days a week. Every single time run for 1 hour, bike for 1 hour and then do weights or swim. I am also on a tennis team. That's about it. Now I don't do that same exercise every time. Sometimes I play basketball or racketball or do the eliptical or run outside in the hood - but that is my mainstay as far as my sessions go.

Back in October/November I recreated a local Duathlon's distances in order to see where I stood in comparison with the online results. It was a small one: 2.2 mile run, 12 mile bike, another 2.2 mile run. These are the types of events I will be taking part in in '08. Anyway I trained 1 day a weekand I did the race (indoor of course) on my other day. I increased speed 4 straight weeks.

Week 1 - 1:22:19
Week 2 - 1:21:22
Week 3 - 1:17:07
Week 4 - 1:15:48

Week 4's splits went: 18:35, 37:15, & 19:58. And honestly after 4 straight weeks I got burned out. I may start doing it again but as of right now I'm just trying to do as many miles as I can in the 2 hours or so that I'm there.

Oh, and I never take gels. I took a clif shot before a tennis match and felt sick. Should I be taking something like that? I don't think it is needed for just a 2 hour workout is it?

2008-01-11 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

The need for a gel probably depends on the person, how much and how recently you have eaten, and how intense your workout is going to be.  On a training day, I only do a gel before a long swim or before an hour or more on the bike.  Some gels are loaded with caffiene.

Training Plan(s) - I imported one BT plan a few months ago and quickly found out I couldn't stick to it due to business travel, kids, elderly parents, etc.  My father passed away a little over a month ago and that blew any thougths of training out the window for a good week.  A week before his passing and a few weeks afterwards, I hit 3 PBs, just trying to aliveate stress, I guess.  I'm sure I overtrained a bit.  Hello knee pain.

My current plan is: Sun-bike or run, Mon-weights/core, Tue-swim & yoga, Wed-rest, Thur-swim/yoga, Fri-weights/core, Sat-bike or run.

This schedule is due to the limited amount of daylight in the winter; I get more running and biking in during the week when it is light after 5:30 PM.  I'm trying to incorporate more yoga (just 20 minutes a session) this year to help prevent injuries.  I'm trying to swim in the mornings before work and do my weightlifting in the mornings (I can do weights at home) to leave more time with the kids in the evenings.

Previously, I've been "winging" my training intensity - just doing whatever I feel like my body can handle and/or what I need to get ready for the next mtn bike race.  What I need to research or need help with, is how to track my running, biking, swimming and lifting progress.  When to turn up and when to turn down the intesities.  How do I know when I need a long, easy run?  When should I do "strides?"  Maybe RunnersWorld.com has a plan or chart.  I sort of have a grip on the biking.  But swimming; when should I do sprints and how many?  When to work on form?  Lifting; I know to stay around 12 - 15 reps, but is there a time of year, probably winter, when I should go for muscle gains?  Shouldn't one week a month be a "down" week, like a very light training schedule to avoid overtraining?

Maybe some of the training articles and the message boards on BT have the answers.  I heard one person say, "Never push off of a wall in a pool, or throw a leg over a bike, or lace up your running shoes without knowing exactly what you want to accomplish in that session."  This is something I need to learn and work on, because right now I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish when I swim or run.  When I bike, I kind of know what level I'm trying to get to when there is an upcoming race.  But swimming and running, I'm still "winging it", I guess.

2008-01-11 2:01 PM

Veteran
Dude, I can't even do the flip and kick turn off the wall. I am a klutz. I stop, touch the wall, turn myself around, and start swimming again like lap 1.
2008-01-11 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi Everyone,

I'm still battling a monster case of bronchitis. Just got back from the doc armed with antibiotics and cough medicine. I haven't been able to work out since last weekend. I'm hoping to be back in action soon though

My current training plan is more of a guideline as, like yourselves, life has a tendency of getting in the way of any hard and fast plans that I make. By the way, Terry, sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. That is a very difficult time.

Right now my goal for a week of training is 2 swims, 2 bikes, 3 runs, and a weight session. I'm trying to shoot for an endurance swim on Monday followed by a weights session, a medium paced run on tuesday, a spin class on wednesday, a speed workout run on thursday, a technique/speed swim and spin class on friday, saturday off and sunday a long, slow distance run. The planets need to align just right for me to be able to get all these in, but it occassionally happens.

I got my run workouts from John Binghams "Marathoning for Mortals" book, and they have worked well for me, so I'm going to continue with those. I am stuck inside on the treadmill right now, waiting for dry ground and warmer weather. As far as the bike goes, I am just doing spinning class at the Y due to weather issues and I am still shopping for a bike. I feel the least knowledgeable about the bike workout, any advise is greatly appreciated! I've gathered a bit of info on the swim from Matt Fitzgeralds "Complete Triathlon Book". I plan on getting the Total Immersion DVD's that Dale mentioned earlier, for some more help.

Another area that I'm lacking knowledge in is nutrition. I try to watch what I eat, and stick to whole grains, fruits and veggies, and limit the processed stuff, but thats about the limit of what I know. I would really like to pursue learning more about proper nutrition for training as well as for weight loss, as I need to drop at least 10 more pounds. I did read in several places that one should consume half their body weight in ounces of water per day. For example a 200lb person should drink 100 ounces of water daily. I've started doing that, and I feel pretty good. Years ago, when I did a bit of weightlifting, guys would say to consume half your bodyweight in grams of protien daily. I highly doubt that translates to endurance training though. As far as race nutrition I usually do a bowl of oatmeal and a banana for breakfast. Then a power gel every :45 minutes. Post workout I like to take myoplex light.

Tim
2008-01-11 5:16 PM

New user
North Carolina
I used to battle cramps to until a fellow competitor told me about salt stick

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/electrolytes/product35...

Experiment with how many to take at a time. On really hot and humid days I do 1 every 25-30 minutes with 8 oz + fluids. BTW Zombie Runner is great to do business with.

Here is a suggestion for nutrition.

Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Ryan

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Nutrition-Endurance-Athletes-Monique/d...

I have her earlier edition and it was very good. She also publishes in velo news. You can go to their page and see what she has written if you want to test drive her methodology. As far as protein goes, she can give you some specific guidelines but my guess is that it will be less than you think.

I you take a gel, be sure to drink at least 8 oz of water afterwards. Yes, gels can work on your GI tract if you are not used to them. Definitely experiment close to home.

Here is what I use. It has no caffeine plus it has electrolytes

http://www.gotrisports.com/storefront/Crank-E-Gel-24-Pack-p-16256.h...

I used an earlier version of this for my half ironman. They also have all of the other distances. I liked it.

Training Plans for Multisport Athletes: Your Essential Guide to Triathlon, Duathlon, XTERRA, Ironman, and Endurance Racing by Bernhardt

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Plans-Multisport-Athletes-Essential/...

Triathlon Workout Planner by Mora

Gives you the basics on how to develop your own

http://www.amazon.com/Triathlon-Workout-Planner-John-Mora/dp/073605...

Several people in the forums have used the training plans on this site and seem to like them. Hang in there everybody. This time of year it's tough to stay motivated.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI4ALL - Is Now FULL Rss Feed  

of 10