BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-02-23 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4061971

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed

coolgenes - 2012-02-23 9:13 AM I just got a text from DW, she wants to do a run tonight. I will never turn that down but am a little worried because from experience I have determined that when sore do not run, anything else but do not run because it just ends up tweaking some muscle that is trying to compensate for the sore one and then I have to even that one out, etc. I'm to the point I'm almost superstitious about this now. Am I being weird? Should I just try to do nice slow distance and I'll be ok, or should I say no?

I know I'm too late to help you make this decision but...

When I'm sore I like to get in some sort of easy activity - an easy spin on the bike or a short, easy run.  When it comes to running, one of the hardest things to learn is how to go easy.  The more you run the better you'll get at judging just what "easy" means.  In the case of a recovery run, you should be able to converse freely without feeling out of breath and your heartrate should stay pretty low. 

If my muscles are so sore that even a brisk walk makes me feel uncomfortable then I'll stick with a non-weight bearing workout like a light spin or an easy swim. 

2012-02-23 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4062357

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
plink - 2012-02-23 11:57 AM

Thank you so much for sharing the article.  I admire Chrissy Wellington and I enjoy hearing what she has to say about the sport and how she trains. 

The weather here has been AMAZING!  The sun has come out and it is 40 I even saw some Canidian Geese flying in this morning.  It seems a little early for them but it is a sure sign of spring!  My family is even starting to collect sap from the trees for maple syrup.  Ahhh I love spring

I can't wait to go for a run after work.I plan on running 4 miles today, 5 if I have enough daylight. 

Happy training! 

Great weather here, too.  It was 50 and sunny yesterday.  Crazy.  I was about ready to strip my clothes off on my run because I got so hot!

2012-02-23 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4063385

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jeffnboise - 2012-02-23 5:38 PM

Hi Goonies,

Sorry I've been AWOL for the last week.  First off, my Air Force son decided to come home completely unannounced, so that caused me to 'adjust' my life schedule a bit.  Then I got a stinking cold that wrecked me for a few days.  I have been getting in SOME workouts, but no too much that is a consecutive day-type thing.  But son is leaving tomorrow (SKYPE, text and FaceBook really makes the seperation less painful), feeling much better and got a kid-free, hassle free weekend planned.

Glad you got to spend time with your son....sorry you went down with a cold.

Now kick that kid back to the air force and enjoy your weekend!

2012-02-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4063527

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Tambo1221 - 2012-02-23 7:25 PM

Hello everyone...

It's been catching up on the posts today...lots of interesting stuff happening to everyone...some good, some not so good and you all still manage to step it up and keep on training...even if its not perfect training.  Keeps me very accountable and i thank you.

So, I finally saw a doc today...team doc for the Razorback football team.  Obviously, I was pretty sure I had PF...and he agrees, but he's a little concerned about the pain I'm having in my shin...he's worried there is a stress fracture...which I think is what led to the PF.  Had an X-ray...waiting to hear back.  If its a stress fracture, I'm probably going to have to give up running for a bit...so I suppose I'll be a really good swimmer and a bike rider in 8-12 weeks - with only swimming and biking.  I have to say...at first I wanted to cry, like tears welled up in my eyes.  I took a hiatus from being active for about 5 years - and now, after three months of sticking to training and being so excited...I'm finding out I can't run.  I hope I get good news tomorrow, otherwise I will be heading to the neighbors to borrow his heavy bag...I have wraps and gloves and I'm going over there to take out some of my anger if its a stress fracture.  PF, I can just keep doing the stretches and icing and dealing with the pain...but the stress fracture - I know that will never heal unless I stay completely off it.  Keep your fingers crossed folks.

So, tonight I'm going to hit the pool at 10:30pm...its the only time on T & Th that they have the long course swim...which is much more challenging for me and from what I understand, better for training.  We'll see if this is something I'd be willing to do every Thursday...

Have a great Friday everyone!!  Keep on kickin!

T.

Fingers crossed that it's not a stress fracture.  The good news...even if it is you can add a little aqua jogging to your regimine to at least get some running like activity.  And you'll have plenty of extra time to work on your swimming and biking!

2012-02-23 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4063546

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-23 7:42 PM

Lost Goonie Reporting in..

Well I just back home and completely fell of the wagon the last couple days in SLC.  I had the best intentions, but my schedule was hectic and I just went with the flow.  Well, I'm happy to report the big wigs cancelled their trip and this allowed me to come home a day early.  At this point, I have zero plans to travel until April.  If nothing pops up until then, I will have a good five uninterrupted weeks of training and nutrition - YAY!! 

I'm planning on jumping on the spin bike for a light 1 hour ride tonight and then hit the gym in the morning. 

What's that they say about the best laid plans?

Sometimes it all goes to hell and the last thing on your mind is getting in a workout.  What matters is that you have the motivation to get back to training/eating healthy after the little hiccup. 

2012-02-25 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
SATURDAY!!!

So glade this last week is over..  Good to be back home with the family and back to my normal life.  I just back from the gym, completed a 4 mile run followed by a spin class.  Burned just over 1,500 calories, which feels good.  This past week was just ok on working out and eating.  Now off to get some honey dos completed. 

Last night I think I convinced the DW (hates running) to sign up for the Boulder Boulder in May.  I think her mom is going to take this kids for the whole weekend!  This is one of those, must do races when you live in Colorado.  Looks like it's a ton of fun with 55,000+ of your best friends.  In the euphoria of last years Denver RNR Expo, I got her to sign up for this years 1/2.  She is freaking out a bit.  Currently on a couch to 5K plan.  The 10K at the end of May will help her increase her mileage.   

Nutrition:
M1  Small Coaches Oats Multi-grain pancake with tsp of all natural PB
M2  Recovery protein shake
M3  turkey chili & small salad 
M4  Banana & protein shake
M5  Grilled salmon, steamed veggies & small baked potao (plain)

Training:
4 mile Run
1 hour spin class

2012-02-25 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4066048

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Saturday, indeed!  I just got home from a 4am-4pm shift and am off for the next three days.  I'm getting ready to bundle up for a short run then I plan to sit myself down on the couch with some knitting (and perhaps some beer) and watch a little Boilermaker basketball.
2012-02-26 7:44 AM

User image

Regular
NWA

Saturdays go by way too fast.  Had a great one though!  Much accomplished, plus a good workout.  Started the beginner sprint workout and imported in to my training log Friday night...so I am prepped to continue training for May 19th.

Did my 2000 yd swim...and for the first time I did both the strengthening and core work as recommended in the plan...this morning I feel like I was in a fight!  I'm sorer than I've been in years.  But, in a good way.  Did I mention I used to be a gym rat?  Yesterday, I could wait to get out of the weight area...what's up with that?

So, I have a bike ride and run today...the bike I'm fairly confident will be outside...its really pretty here...may have to fight the wind a bit.  Not sure about the run...still haven't heard back from my doc...been doing the exercises and bought a splint to sleep in and I tried it on...no bueno, returned it.  It didnt do enough to stretch anything...The pain is really very minimal this morning...I may not run today...which makes me sad, but maybe a long walk with the dogs will help me feel better.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2012-02-26 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Greetings Goonies,

Had a good Sat.  Training at work had a good bit of phyical activity; ground fighting, jujitsu.  Afterwards got in the pool for 1200 at a steady paces,  but threw in some surges and breath changes to build my comfort.  Evening went out for 1 hour of trail running with my mutt, KoKo. 

2012-02-26 12:14 PM

User image

Regular
NWA

BTW - I did chop all my hair off...its now a "pixie" cut.  Talk about getting used to something...I keep reaching back and there's no hair.  But, made for a quick transition from the pool to the weight room floor!!

T.

2012-02-27 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4066992

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Tambo1221 - 2012-02-26 1:14 PM

BTW - I did chop all my hair off...its now a "pixie" cut.  Talk about getting used to something...I keep reaching back and there's no hair.  But, made for a quick transition from the pool to the weight room floor!!

T.

Nice.  The first time I chopped mine off I went from hair down to the middle of my back to as short as I could get without using clippers.  It took some getting used to but I saved a ton on hair products!  Now I'm going the opposite direction and growing mine out a bit.  I was already a part of the itty bitty titty committee but since I started triathlon I have run the headlights right off the front of the vehicle.  With the super short hair I was constantly getting mistaken for a boy.  Keeping it a bit long seems to reduce some of the confusion.  Of course, I could always try dressing like a girl but that seems like so much work.

2012-02-27 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4066992

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

hmmm...double post....now I have to come up with something else to say...

Nope...I got nothing earth shattering to add to the conversation.

What does everyone have planned for the week?  Anything exciting?

I'm going to be running, running, running.  The weather has been fantastic recently.  This afternoon I'll be heading out for a short run in the sunshine.  It looks like it should be fairly warm for my long run tomorrow, too.  I can hardly believe that February is nearly over.  Spring is truly just around the corner!

Edited by esc 2012-02-27 9:50 AM
2012-02-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4068234

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

"

I was already a part of the itty bitty titty committee but since I started triathlon I have run the headlights right off the front of the vehicle.  "

ROFLMAO

CRAP!   I just spit coffee on the counter.  "running the headlights off the front of the vehicle"....CLASSIC.  

Please forgive me if I try to make a mental picture of that....

Edited by jeffnboise 2012-02-27 1:02 PM
2012-02-27 2:17 PM

User image

Regular
NWA

Well, God blessed me with J-Lo booty - so I'll not have to worry about being confused for a boy...But, your comment was pretty darn funny.  You may have wiped your front end out with Tri's...but I know I'd like to get rid of my rear spoiler!

My hair was about an inch below the top of my shoulders...so mid-length...again - today at lunch, I swam, then hit the gym floor, showered and made it back looking like I had "fixed" my hair...so as of right now, I'm digging this do!

2012-02-28 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4068731

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jeffnboise - 2012-02-27 2:01 PM

"I was already a part of the itty bitty titty committee but since I started triathlon I have run the headlights right off the front of the vehicle."

ROFLMAO

CRAP!   I just spit coffee on the counter.  "running the headlights off the front of the vehicle"....CLASSIC.  

Please forgive me if I try to make a mental picture of that....

Glad I can provide a laugh. 

Edited by esc 2012-02-28 9:33 AM
2012-03-01 7:59 AM

User image

Regular
NWA

Hey everyone...I just wanted to drop in and say good morning!  I STILL have not heard back about my PF/potential stress fracture...I called the clinic again yesterday - still nothing.  The last two mornings I've awoken (this doesn't seem like a real word to me??) with no pain! Granted I haven't been running...but I have been on the elliptical.  Guessing I'll be there again today...but with no pain it is SOOOO tempting to run...especially with it being 75 and sunny here today!  WHOOOOO HOOOO, spring fever for me.  My bike ride will most definitely be outdoors today...bye bye trainer!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday! Cool

2012-03-01 1:48 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Tambo - good news on no foot pain!  And it's snowing here, so u suck on the 75 degree front

I have not had the energy/desire to get in the pool the last couple days, so I picked up a spin class each day with a run before hand.  At least I'm getting in some great workouts.  I will try to jump in tomorrow...

2012-03-01 6:48 PM

New user

Pueblo
Been a while since I have posted anything.  Just walking about 5-6 miles per day.  Have not been released to ride or swim yet, some setbacks.  A little discouraged but then again, I am walking and not in a wheelchair.  Hopefully by next week.
2012-03-02 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

"BUMP"

Hey ??Goonies,  Weekend here in Boise is looking good, mid 50s and sunny.  I smell a bike ride in my future.  It's kid weekend for me (single dad and all that).  Got soccer games, lacross practice, swim lessons for my daughter who wants to do triathlons.  Should be a busy weekend, put probably won't get too many 'quality' workouts in.  

Hope everyone in the midwest is doing well and safe from the tornados.

Have GREAT weekend!

2012-03-02 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey gang!  Sorry I've been MIA for a few days.  Life has been busy (in a good way) so I haven't had much time for internet gooodness.  All the stormy weather has blown past Lafayette so I'm headed out for a short run.  Tonight I'm meeting a friend and heading to Indy for a Purdue Women's b-ball game.

How has everyone's training been this week?  Any big plans for the weekend?

2012-03-03 10:07 AM

Fairfax, VA
Hi gang!

I had the perfect storm of injuries, project deadlines, and a week off which kept me away for that last 3 weeks. Seems like forever. My training has definitely suffered, but I'm back on he wagon this week.

I was afraid that maybe the mentoring would be over, but so happy to see you're all still here!

Nicole

2012-03-05 10:02 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Seems most of us have been busy and life taking up too much of our time  I have been plugging along, but don't feel like I al in a groove yet.  I'm struggling to get a schedule down and stick to it.  I'm moving a bunch of the workouts around and not getting all of the time and segments in as scheduled. 

This week the miles/time peak, so this will be a challenge. Even so, this week I plan to get in 100% of all the planned workouts.

2012-03-05 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
NWA

Hello gang-

Goonies Never Say Die! EVER!  So, I'm feeling a bit like Chunk today...I had a Bavarian creme filled donut this morning.  It was damn good too.  I immediately fell into a sugar coma.  My first class experienced the high and the low I felt...wonder if they noticed...guessing that 8am class just isn't awake enough yet.  Fingers crossed.

So, the good news...I do not have a stress facture!  So, just plain ole PF.  So, i'll continue with the stretching and rolling of the cold water bottle on the bottom of my foot (I told my hubs about the cold vodka bottle...he thougth that was a FANTASTIC idea, I think rum will do the trick for me!).  I ran too much yesterday - even though it was a walk/run for only 30 minutes...about 6pm yesterday - it really started to hurt...got up and stretched.  That truly seems to be the best thing for it.  How in the world will I ever train for a HIM or IM if I can't even run for < 30 minutes?  Will this ever go away without stopping completely? 

POLL: Should I continue to train, just moderately in the running category? OR Should I stop running altogether for about 8 weeks?

Begs the next question...Will the PF just return after the 8 wks off if I steadily increase my running times and distances again?  I mean, I did the couch to sprint workout...I thought that was plenty slow enough. 

Another question: Has anyone used one of those sleep splints for PF?  I was thinking about getting one...

Thanks ya'll - have a great week...

T.

2012-03-05 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Wow.  I whole-heartedly apologize for my absence.  Life went H.A.Y.W.I.R.E.  I had to assist a friend in need and have barely had time to even sneak in a few runs.  But...I think I should be returning to my normal boring routine this week.  In fact, now that I've got some time to myself, I'm going to go relax with a nice long run. 
2012-03-05 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4080814

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Tambo1221 - 2012-03-05 11:56 AM

Hello gang-

Goonies Never Say Die! EVER!  So, I'm feeling a bit like Chunk today...I had a Bavarian creme filled donut this morning.  It was damn good too.  I immediately fell into a sugar coma.  My first class experienced the high and the low I felt...wonder if they noticed...guessing that 8am class just isn't awake enough yet.  Fingers crossed.

So, the good news...I do not have a stress facture!  So, just plain ole PF.  So, i'll continue with the stretching and rolling of the cold water bottle on the bottom of my foot (I told my hubs about the cold vodka bottle...he thougth that was a FANTASTIC idea, I think rum will do the trick for me!).  I ran too much yesterday - even though it was a walk/run for only 30 minutes...about 6pm yesterday - it really started to hurt...got up and stretched.  That truly seems to be the best thing for it.  How in the world will I ever train for a HIM or IM if I can't even run for < 30 minutes?  Will this ever go away without stopping completely? 

POLL: Should I continue to train, just moderately in the running category? OR Should I stop running altogether for about 8 weeks?

Begs the next question...Will the PF just return after the 8 wks off if I steadily increase my running times and distances again?  I mean, I did the couch to sprint workout...I thought that was plenty slow enough. 

Another question: Has anyone used one of those sleep splints for PF?  I was thinking about getting one...

Thanks ya'll - have a great week...

T.

Glad to hear you don't have a stress fracture.  Sorry the PF is still giving you troubles.

Rather than giving up on the run completely how about you try scaling it back significantly while you work through the PF issues.  I would suggest that you start with an easy 10-15 minute workout 3-4 times per week.  This will keep you on your feet without putting you through too much stress.  If this proves to still be too much then you might want to look at taking time completely off from running.  You could also substitute aquajogging for some or all of your run time while you heal.  It will keep you in fairly good run shape with out the pounding of a regular run workout.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23