BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-03-06 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4082264

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL

shellback1998 - 2012-03-06 8:07 AM Vertical kicking with a 6 pound weighted object raised above your head sucks.... Just saying!

Today's workout sucked. I would so much rather do fast intervals than all of that kicking she had us doing. The 200 dolphin alone left me exhausted. I'm not used to doing 200 of that straight, my core was pretty tired after that. Throw in all the back and breast and then that medicine ball kick drill and I'm beat. My legs were smoked going into class.

2012-03-06 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4082343

User image

Expert
everlong - 2012-03-06 8:50 AM

shellback1998 - 2012-03-06 8:07 AM Vertical kicking with a 6 pound weighted object raised above your head sucks.... Just saying!

Today's workout sucked. I would so much rather do fast intervals than all of that kicking she had us doing. The 200 dolphin alone left me exhausted. I'm not used to doing 200 of that straight, my core was pretty tired after that. Throw in all the back and breast and then that medicine ball kick drill and I'm beat. My legs were smoked going into class.

Yeah I didn't mind 100 dolphin kick, but the 200 sucked... I didn't even do the breast kick... I just went back to swimming free style. the Backstroke, wasn't that bad at least you could breath but I am in total agreement today's workout sucked! Also, the lanes seemed packed this morning....

2012-03-06 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3950785

User image

Expert
Tuesdays have been super crowded lately. Every lane had 7 and one lane had 8. It's great tri training with everybody wearing fins the wake is insane and you're getting clubbed by people in other lanes doing breast.
2012-03-06 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4082404

User image

Expert
everlong - 2012-03-06 9:09 AM Tuesdays have been super crowded lately. Every lane had 7 and one lane had 8. It's great tri training with everybody wearing fins the wake is insane and you're getting clubbed by people in other lanes doing breast.
Agreed, someone in your lane, every day we either hit arms or kick each other.... I wonder who it is... I feel bad for the lane next to me on the way back when I'm doing the backstroke kick Man my wake was huge... Hope they weren't breathing to the right or they would have had a great gulp of pool water. 
2012-03-06 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
You and I have only hit once and it wasn't today. It was one of the days last week. We locked arms as you were about ten feet off the wall starting a new lap and I was on the return trip. Doing the breast stroke today I nailed somebody in your lane twice with a drop kick.
2012-03-06 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4082492

User image

Expert
everlong - 2012-03-06 9:46 AM You and I have only hit once and it wasn't today. It was one of the days last week. We locked arms as you were about ten feet off the wall starting a new lap and I was on the return trip. Doing the breast stroke today I nailed somebody in your lane twice with a drop kick.
Lol yeah that wasn't me... When we were doing the finger drag, then 25 yards no free... I did the butterfly, but had to switch to breast because I caught the guys ahead of me... 

2012-03-06 3:08 PM

User image

Just signed up for the Westchester Tri.  That should add some motivation.  I'm now signed up for 2 - NYC (7/8) and Westchester (9/23). Both Olympic.

I am also contemplating the Rev3 Quassy Olympic Tri (Middlebury, CT) on June 2 and a Sprint Tri at Westpoint in mid-August.  That appears to be good spacing between events.

Any thoughts about # of events and spacing between events?

-----
Nautica NYC Traithlon (7/8/2012)
Jarden Westchester Triathlon (9/23/2012)

2012-03-06 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4083499

User image

Expert
CraigS - 2012-03-06 4:08 PM

Just signed up for the Westchester Tri.  That should add some motivation.  I'm now signed up for 2 - NYC (7/8) and Westchester (9/23). Both Olympic.

I am also contemplating the Rev3 Quassy Olympic Tri (Middlebury, CT) on June 2 and a Sprint Tri at Westpoint in mid-August.  That appears to be good spacing between events.

-----
Nautica NYC Traithlon (7/8/2012)

Your spacing will be fine. I did two Olympics last year 14 days apart. If you do Quassy be aware it's quite hilly on the bike.

I did NY last year.

You must attend one of the briefings the day before and drop your bike at transition. It's a bit of a logistical nightmare. I'd get a room in the city and go down two days in advance if you can.

The chop on the Hudson last year was one to two foot waves with the wind. Be prepared for it. I've never seen so many people letting the current take or doing back or breast. It didn't bother me because I trained for it. One cool thing is the distances are painted on the retaining wall. So you know when you've gone each 250 meters. When you get to the end there's about 20 volunteers who are ripping people out of the water. You will need their help. The ramp is steep and the current keeps you off balance. Make it easy for them.

It was hot as he!! and one thing I wish I did differently was ripping my wetsuit off after exiting the water. It's a 5 minute jog back to transition and I ran it with the wetsuit on from the waist down. I took the shoulders out while running. Take the minute to take it off. It's not worth over heating.

The bike starts on Riverside and you go up a really steep and tight path. Be very aware of other riders. One guy didn't have the power to keep a straight line and nearly took out several people several times including me. The bike itself is awesome. One thing to be aware of is the wind will effect you on the bridges of which there are several. At the turn around be careful and take it slow.

Coming back out of transition on the run it is again up a really steep hill. Be careful not to blow your heart rate out. Central park has a couple of huge hills. Be careful of pacing.

It was 93 and humid. It really affected me on the run. Careful of your pacing.

2012-03-07 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4083919

User image

everlong - 2012-03-06 9:00 PM
CraigS - 2012-03-06 4:08 PM

-----
Nautica NYC Traithlon (7/8/2012

Your spacing will be fine. I did two Olympics last year 14 days apart. If you do Quassy be aware it's quite hilly on the bike.

I did NY last year.

You must attend one of the briefings the day before and drop your bike at transition. It's a bit of a logistical nightmare. I'd get a room in the city and go down two days in advance if you can.

The chop on the Hudson last year was one to two foot waves with the wind. Be prepared for it. I've never seen so many people letting the current take or doing back or breast. It didn't bother me because I trained for it. One cool thing is the distances are painted on the retaining wall. So you know when you've gone each 250 meters. When you get to the end there's about 20 volunteers who are ripping people out of the water. You will need their help. The ramp is steep and the current keeps you off balance. Make it easy for them.

It was hot as he!! and one thing I wish I did differently was ripping my wetsuit off after exiting the water. It's a 5 minute jog back to transition and I ran it with the wetsuit on from the waist down. I took the shoulders out while running. Take the minute to take it off. It's not worth over heating.

The bike starts on Riverside and you go up a really steep and tight path. Be very aware of other riders. One guy didn't have the power to keep a straight line and nearly took out several people several times including me. The bike itself is awesome. One thing to be aware of is the wind will effect you on the bridges of which there are several. At the turn around be careful and take it slow.

Coming back out of transition on the run it is again up a really steep hill. Be careful not to blow your heart rate out. Central park has a couple of huge hills. Be careful of pacing.

It was 93 and humid. It really affected me on the run. Careful of your pacing.

Thanks for the advice.  How did you train for the choppy Hudson?

-----
Nautica NYC Traithlon (7/8/2012

2012-03-07 8:54 AM

User image

Expert

I did several OWS in choppy conditions. I live a mile from the ocean so that's easier for me to do but if you have a lake or river near you and you get a windy day take advantage of it. The thing that I got good at was using the waves to my advantage by timing them. I would take a stroke at the top of the wave and ride the next one back to the top trying to elimiinate resistance and do it again. It took me several sessions to iron it out but that day in the Hudson it was seamless. My time was 18 minutes and change and I finished in the top 100 for the swim out of 3600 or whatever it was.

2012-03-07 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4084468

User image

everlong - 2012-03-07 9:54 AM

I did several OWS in choppy conditions. I live a mile from the ocean so that's easier for me to do but if you have a lake or river near you and you get a windy day take advantage of it. The thing that I got good at was using the waves to my advantage by timing them. I would take a stroke at the top of the wave and ride the next one back to the top trying to elimiinate resistance and do it again. It took me several sessions to iron it out but that day in the Hudson it was seamless. My time was 18 minutes and change and I finished in the top 100 for the swim out of 3600 or whatever it was.

Great.  I do some OWS with my Tri Club that I will take advantage of when it starts up.  Hopefully some of those will prepare me for some choppy conditions.  Great job

2012-03-07 7:44 PM

first time back in the pool after 2 weeks of no pool due to the bike crash.  30 minutes easy just to get back into things.

Do you guys have dry throat issues when you swim. I'm working so hard on breathing in and out constantly that I never have time to swallow my own spit.

2012-03-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4085692

User image

DropSquad - 2012-03-07 8:44 PM

first time back in the pool after 2 weeks of no pool due to the bike crash.  30 minutes easy just to get back into things.

Do you guys have dry throat issues when you swim. I'm working so hard on breathing in and out constantly that I never have time to swallow my own spit.

The dry throat could be due to the chlorine in the pool.  Are you getting water in your mouth?  You should keep a bottle of water on deck and sip from it occasionally.

2012-03-08 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4086259

CraigS - 2012-03-08 8:11 AM 

The dry throat could be due to the chlorine in the pool.  Are you getting water in your mouth?  You should keep a bottle of water on deck and sip from it occasionally.

thats what i'm doing now, but im concerned if this is something i'm just going to have to deal with during the actual tri.

2012-03-08 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4086293

User image

Expert
DropSquad - 2012-03-08 9:27 AM
CraigS - 2012-03-08 8:11 AM 

thats what i'm doing now, but im concerned if this is something i'm just going to have to deal with during the actual tri.

Yeah, as Craig said it's the Chlorine... During the tri, depending on the water either salt or lake, you'll be thirsty as your pretty much going all out. Don't drink the water

2012-03-09 6:53 AM

User image

Regular

Really frustrated with myself.  Poor choices lead to poor choices lead to poor outcomes.  I was at a conference yesterday and overate.  So I came home and swam, but not the usual swim--I went longer and harder to make up for overeating.  This morning, hopped on the treadmill for my run and felt like warm brown stuff and my heart rate was all over the place.  I modified my plan to keep from compounding the problem; went easier and without the tempo stretches I'd planned, but did the time.  Running is my weak link and I screwed it up for a swim.  I screwed it up because I wouldn't stop eating.  I HATE that.  It is incredibly frustrating to me that I can't keep anything even resembling crap food in the house because I eat ALL of it. 

Now that I've said that, I'm wondering something else:  I wasn't always quite this bad about that.  I used to be better about eating the unhealthy stuff in small amounts.  I'm using Nutrimirror to keep track of nutrition info stuff and I'm doing what I think is reasonable and good.  How would I know if I was screwing up nutrition and therefore setting myself up to binge on rice krispie treats? 

2012-03-09 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4088083

User image

Expert
peregrinesgirl - 2012-03-09 7:53 AM

Really frustrated with myself.  Poor choices lead to poor choices lead to poor outcomes.  I was at a conference yesterday and overate.  So I came home and swam, but not the usual swim--I went longer and harder to make up for overeating.  This morning, hopped on the treadmill for my run and felt like warm brown stuff and my heart rate was all over the place.  I modified my plan to keep from compounding the problem; went easier and without the tempo stretches I'd planned, but did the time.  Running is my weak link and I screwed it up for a swim.  I screwed it up because I wouldn't stop eating.  I HATE that.  It is incredibly frustrating to me that I can't keep anything even resembling crap food in the house because I eat ALL of it. 

Now that I've said that, I'm wondering something else:  I wasn't always quite this bad about that.  I used to be better about eating the unhealthy stuff in small amounts.  I'm using Nutrimirror to keep track of nutrition info stuff and I'm doing what I think is reasonable and good.  How would I know if I was screwing up nutrition and therefore setting myself up to binge on rice krispie treats? 

Lisa, 

There is nothing wrong in your decision to go for a hard swim, but you should have waited 3-4 hours before you decided to run. Also, don't kick yourself in the but about the food. You're human, just make sure you eat this food within your workout window. What I mean is if you swim hard for an hour, you basically, have an hour after your swim to eat pretty much anything you want. However, remember to do this in moderation. If you are trying to lose weight, that would be a perfect calorie deficit for you and to eat within your core.  My Nutritionist, who is part of the QT2 Systems, has a formula that you use for process food. So this formula is not used for Vegetables and Fruits. However, it's ((Carbs + Sugars)-(Fiber))/(Fat + Protein) if the ratio of that is below 2.0 it's considered core friendly.  So in closing don't beat yourself up on it. You'll be fine... example of foods that are core friendly, Luna Bars for woman, Cliff Builder Bar's for Men, Nature Valley Bars eat one of them before your exercise. But only then.  Have some chocolate milk to recover from your hard work outs. Greek Yogurt and of course plenty of fruit and vegetables. Also, to curve hunger pains at night. Make sure you have a 1 scoop of whey designer protein before you go to bed.  Anyway keep up the good work.

2012-03-10 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4088208

User image

Regular

Lisa, 

There is nothing wrong in your decision to go for a hard swim, but you should have waited 3-4 hours before you decided to run. Also, don't kick yourself in the but about the food. You're human, just make sure you eat this food within your workout window. What I mean is if you swim hard for an hour, you basically, have an hour after your swim to eat pretty much anything you want. However, remember to do this in moderation. If you are trying to lose weight, that would be a perfect calorie deficit for you and to eat within your core.  My Nutritionist, who is part of the QT2 Systems, has a formula that you use for process food. So this formula is not used for Vegetables and Fruits. However, it's ((Carbs + Sugars)-(Fiber))/(Fat + Protein) if the ratio of that is below 2.0 it's considered core friendly.  So in closing don't beat yourself up on it. You'll be fine... example of foods that are core friendly, Luna Bars for woman, Cliff Builder Bar's for Men, Nature Valley Bars eat one of them before your exercise. But only then.  Have some chocolate milk to recover from your hard work outs. Greek Yogurt and of course plenty of fruit and vegetables. Also, to curve hunger pains at night. Make sure you have a 1 scoop of whey designer protein before you go to bed.  Anyway keep up the good work.

Thanks, Scott.  I've never seen that formula before--that's really useful!  I hate waking up hungry; I'll start doing the protein evening "snack"!  And I didn't run til the following morning-- might there be something else going on then?  I am trying to lose weight, not much, just a few more pounds.  But I'm beginning to think I really don't know how to do that well while training.  For example, I'm pretty sure that the time I couldn't finish that swim workout was actually a bonk, not that I couldn't hold the speed--I did it a different time, having eaten within a reasonable time beforehand, and did it with effort but no problem.  I know how to lose weight, but I don't know how to do it while genuinely working--when I lost 50 pounds, I was working out solely to lose weight, not to make performance gains.  I'm going to use that formula and start eating a little more, but carefully.  Thanks again--glad I'm in this group!

2012-03-11 12:47 PM

User image

Regular
Chris--they changed the indoor tri from March 18 to the 25th.  It means I'm definitely out, but may now work for you.  Looks like they did decide to go with the same format as last time, which I really liked because everyone finishes at the same time--you know they're kicking your butt, but you're still right there with them   Seriously, everyone--this is a great practice or first tri:  lovely people, unintimidating setting, no one is last across the line.  Just a thought...
2012-03-12 8:06 AM

User image

First of all, sorry for the absence for the past 2-3 weeks.  its been a crazy bit of time for me.  I've managed to maintain my training (I hope), but have not got in as many workouts as I would like.  My first triathlon was completed yesterday in Orlando, FL.  It was full on downpour the whole time.  I think the swim distance was not the 750m as the conditions were horrible and I managed to drop 8 minutes off my normal time for that distance.

Scott-  I think I am in for Pumpkinman... looks like I will be in New England during that timeframe as well as most of the summer.

Swimsoft - That weekend doesn't work for me either unfortunately... sorry you'll miss it too!

Swim: 0:15:36.184                    OVERALL: 1:30:00.832

T0: 0:02:10.115 (.5mile transition from swim to T-area)

T1: 0:02:21.037

Bike: 0:43:06.139

T2: 0:01:14.122

Run: 0:25:33.235 (2.6mile - add T0 for full run time)

2012-03-12 12:07 PM

Two weeks left until my first event. I'm pretty pumped. I have been doing bike to run transitions and have found that my legs regain feeling after about half a mile into my run and feel good. I rode 15 miles then ran my 5k on Sat. without any problems. Did my 5k in 24 minutes. 

How should I train the week before my sprint? Should I still train hard or take it easy the week before so I will be ready. I have read that sometimes it is good to taper your workouts the week prior to your event.

2012-03-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4092218

User image

Expert
dkhickman - 2012-03-12 1:07 PM

Two weeks left until my first event. I'm pretty pumped. I have been doing bike to run transitions and have found that my legs regain feeling after about half a mile into my run and feel good. I rode 15 miles then ran my 5k on Sat. without any problems. Did my 5k in 24 minutes. 

How should I train the week before my sprint? Should I still train hard or take it easy the week before so I will be ready. I have read that sometimes it is good to taper your workouts the week prior to your event.

If I were you, I'd do the following

Monday - Swim Hard

Tuesday - Get a massage

Wednesday  Hard bike as follows 

Set 1: 3min Z1 @ 85

RPM

Set 2: 3min Z2 @ 90

RPM

Set 3: 5min Z3 @ 95

RPM

Set 4: 3min Z1

Repeat 2x:

Set 5: 2min L4 @ 95

RPM

Set 6: 1min L1 @ 85

RPM

Set 7: 30sec L5 @ 100

RPM

Set 8: 2min L1 @ 85

RPM

Finish with:

Set 7: 5min Z1 @90

Thursday Day off

Friday Hard Run  as follows  5 x  ( 5:00@Z1, 2:30 second picks up in z4, 1:30 @z2,  5:00@z1) Run in your race shoes if possible

Saturday Easy Swim

Sunday - Race Day

2012-03-16 10:16 AM

User image

Expert

15 Days and counting until my first race of the Season! 

2012-03-16 7:44 PM

User image

Regular

Scott--excellent!  Enjoy   I'm assuming a tri--what're the distances?  Where is it?

Weird question:   Is anyone else on the down-low about their tri addiction at work?  When my trainer arrived at work (cheaper shipping!), and my boss and a co-worker looked at me like, "Well?" I just said that I hated the bikes at Planet Fitness and it was easier at home.  My co-worker chimed in that her son had one, so I was off the hook.  No one there knew I was doing a marathon last fall until two days beforehand when my boss asked specifically what I was doing that weekend.  They seemed to think it was kind of spur of the moment because I hadn't talked about training.  I'll have to come clean at some point, definitely when I ask for the vacation time for IMFL, but in the meantime... 

2012-03-17 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
Why are you on the low down? Would it be frowned upon? My boss runs so it's a constant topic between us.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 23