BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-06-23 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2236687

User image

New user
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
I did 1,100 straight for the first time.

That is huge.  Nice job!

2009-06-24 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2237291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn 

key workout

G- what is a key workout?  I hear it talked about a lot.  Is it high volume, high intensity?
2009-06-24 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Not much going on training wise. However, I am now back in the states. Unfortunately we're stuck in the airport in Maine since our plane broke and will probably be here awhile. Hopefully will be getting home sometime tomorrow morning.
2009-06-24 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2239732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
InsertNameHere - 2009-06-24 9:36 AM Not much going on training wise. However, I am now back in the states. Unfortunately we're stuck in the airport in Maine since our plane broke and will probably be here awhile. Hopefully will be getting home sometime tomorrow morning.

When do you plan to get out and train?  Looking at a bike yet?
2009-06-24 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2239486

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-06-24 9:25 AM
GordoByrn 

key workout

G- what is a key workout?  I hear it talked about a lot.  Is it high volume, high intensity?

Check this article -- http://www.endurancecorner.com/gblog/putting_it_together/>
In my week, I have five key workouts -- two swims, long run, a brick, and key endurance day.  That's a fair amount of action and it takes a bit of time to build up to that.

2009-06-24 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2240646

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Link seems to fail -- access via my sig file -- the article is my blog from last week and will be hotlinked off the main home page until Friday.

Edited by GordoByrn 2009-06-24 3:17 PM

2009-06-24 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2239486

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-06-24 9:25 AM
GordoByrn 

key workout

One more thought -- as for high volume / high intensity... a key workout could be neither.  Just a focus workout for what you are seeking to improve.

You can see how I handle/execute my key workouts by accessing my public training diary over at TrainingPeaks...  www.trainingpeaks.com/gordo

2009-06-24 11:11 PM

User image

New user
Hey guys...

Just got back from Denver (Lakewood) to 106 degrees in Phoenix!  WOO HOO!

Quick story...  so I entered this contest on Facebook with the "Athletes for a Cure" page last week.  It was to do a photo caption, and the prize would be a pair of Newton Running shoes... There were 20 or 30 entrants, and they would choose the top 10 and then whoever got the most Facebook friends to vote for them wins.

Some how or another, I got in the final 10, and started to pester my FB friends... I was doing OK in the voting, and Monday morning while heading out to Denver, I figured I couldn't do any "self promotion" while I was away, so I most likely would lose.

WELL, a high school friend of mine posted on the BT main tri forum, and the voting page was flooded with "I vote for Ken Wilkens" posts!!! 

Tuesday morning, I found out I WON the Newton Running shoes!!! I am totally psyched!  I have been wanting to try them, as the are a midfoot striking-specific shoe (www.newtonrunning.com) and this is my opportunity.  I am going over to Tribe Multisport this week to try some on, and then order them from Newton.

Gordo, any 'gotchas' or information on running with them?   I know lots of runners promote them, and mechanically they look like they are on the money.   As I am an over pronator, I am going with the Stability Trainers...

If any of you voted, thanks so much -- wanted to share my fun story with you all!

Back to the grind tomorrow....

ken
2009-06-25 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2241533

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-06-24 10:11 PM Hey guys...

Gordo, any 'gotchas' or information on running with them?   I know lots of runners promote them, and mechanically they look like they are on the money.   As I am an over pronator, I am going with the Stability Trainers...

I would be very careful with using them as many athletes injure themselves by making the transition too quickly.

You want to start using them no more often than every other run for eight weeks -- and no long runs with them in that period.  If all goes well then continue every other run and use them for the long runs for the next eight weeks.  Assuming all is good at that stage (16 weeks), then you should be OK to make the transition over.

As I am a mid-foot striker rarely running faster than seven-minutes per mile in training, I don't benefit from the shoe.

Be very conservative in the application of increased loads on your foot.  

2009-06-25 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2240646

User image

cjhild - 2009-06-24 3:15 PM

When do you plan to get out and train?  Looking at a bike yet?

Made it back this morning about 1:30 AM. Glad to be done traveling.

Wanting to get out  and start training as soon as I can. Probably do some running this weekend and maybe some light swimming if I can find where the pool is. Hopefully the temps here won't cause too many issues (In Texas for a little while before going out to California). Unfortunately I won't be able to get my car for a couple of weeks until I go on leave. Looking at renting one until then and depending on what kind of a car I can get I may try and go down to Austin and look at getting a bike there. Need to see if I can keep it in the barracks or not though as I don't want to leave it sitting outside. If I can then I may try and get a bike next weekend.

Hope everyone  is having a good day.

Rob
2009-06-26 7:19 AM

Expert

Hey all - Justin has a race this weekend; good luck dude! Suzy, what, no race? ;-) Hope all the rest of you have happy training. I'm off for vacation. Sadly, had to change plans so no race for me this Sunday. There is another one later this summer I guess I will do but moving that date forward into summer means dealing with Virginia heat and humidity. Blechhh. I think I lost a bit of oomph and direction when I had to cancel plans for my 6/28 race but perhaps a little time off is good and I'll be back rarin' to go. Surely, I will keep running while out of town, as running is my 'happy place' Take care, all.

2009-06-26 9:35 AM

User image

New user
Have a great race this weekend Justin!!!  Go fast, but most importantly -- have FUN!
2009-06-26 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2244504

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
BabsVa - 2009-06-26 7:19 AM

Hey all - Justin has a race this weekend; good luck dude! Suzy, what, no race? ;-) Hope all the rest of you have happy training. I'm off for vacation. Sadly, had to change plans so no race for me this Sunday. There is another one later this summer I guess I will do but moving that date forward into summer means dealing with Virginia heat and humidity. Blechhh. I think I lost a bit of oomph and direction when I had to cancel plans for my 6/28 race but perhaps a little time off is good and I'll be back rarin' to go. Surely, I will keep running while out of town, as running is my 'happy place' Take care, all.

Justin--You are ready! Just remember to breathe, stay tough andmost of all have fun!  Don't forget to report back in to us!

Babs--going on vacation isn't a bad thing, shake things up and you will return rejuvenated.

Ken/Rob and G-enjoy your weekends!

I did my first super sprint a year ago Saturday.  At the time the 200y swim was a major accomplishment.  What a difference a year can make.   I'm doing my first loop of the IM WI course with several BT'ers so that will be every bit as much fun as a race.  As IM, they are doing three loops, but hey a girls gotta start somewhere!

Suzy
2009-06-26 4:20 PM

User image

New user
Hey Gordo!
I really enjoyed your "Personal Review" article on your website.  For those interested, www.endurancecorner.com.

Question -- do you have a 'template' you use or follow?  I have really been wanting to do this myself, and the midpoint of the year is an ideal time.  For me, it's simplifying life and focusing on a few important things rather than many trivial ones.  Just curious if you have something to keep you on track...

This is one of the reasons I really like the 'stuff' you put out there.  It's not just 'go hard at zone 5, train, train, train....'  -- it's all about life and all of life's challenges, not just triathlon.  After all, for most of us this is a hobby, or at best a lifestyle -- I know I am not going to make any money at racing anytime soon!  Now, maybe if I can invent the next 'tri-gadget' to hit the market... ;-)

Thanks again for everything, G -

ken

Edited by Ken in AZ 2009-06-26 4:21 PM
2009-06-27 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2240660

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn

You can see how I handle/execute my key workouts

Wow, it is impressive to see your workouts.  Thanks for your input, I will be going over the links to see how I can integrate these concepts into my training.
2009-06-27 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2244504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-06-26 5:19 AM

Hey all - Justin has a race this weekend; good luck dude!

Been missing you!  Thanks Barb.

Justin--You are ready!

Thanks Suzy.

I am up early getting ready to head down to San Diego.  Spent yesterday getting everything packed up and reviewing my checklist.  Can't believe it is finally here, have had a lot of anxiety as I have been looking at the date on the calendar.  I feel pretty good today, I can't wait for the excitement of tomorrow.  I will let you guys know how it goes.

Edited by cjhild 2009-06-27 8:01 AM

2009-06-27 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2246298

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-06-26 3:20 PM Hey Gordo!
I really enjoyed your "Personal Review" article on your website.  For those interested, www.endurancecorner.com.

Question -- do you have a 'template' you use or follow?  I have really been wanting to do this myself, and the midpoint of the year is an ideal time.  For me, it's simplifying life and focusing on a few important things rather than many trivial ones.  Just curious if you have something to keep you on track...

This is one of the reasons I really like the 'stuff' you put out there.  It's not just 'go hard at zone 5, train, train, train....'  -- it's all about life and all of life's challenges, not just triathlon.  After all, for most of us this is a hobby, or at best a lifestyle -- I know I am not going to make any money at racing anytime soon!  Now, maybe if I can invent the next 'tri-gadget' to hit the market... ;-)

Thanks again for everything, G -

ken

I have written a stack about this.  I think the specific post you want is below -- this is the Annual Review process.  I just did the semi-annual which isn't as deep but more than the quarterly review.

++

For a few days (I need 7-14), I get myself somewhere with no internet hook-up, no telephone.
I sit down and figure out where I spend my time -- each day, each week, each month.
I write down a plan. Key headers...

• Big Picture (3-4 most important things)
  • Key Likes (3-4 areas that most drive my personal satisfaction)
  • Geography (where I will spend my time — key due to all my travel)
  • Body — key points for my body
  • Mind — key points for mind/knowledge/education
  • Spirit — when and how I will rest (from training, from work, from everything)
  • Places I want to visit
  • Personal Asset Allocation (today, five year, ten year)
  • Next twelve month expense projection
  • Next twelve month income projection
  • Personal Top Ten List — the ten most important things in my life that require focus, effort and time
  • Actions — what actions/habits are most important to me
  • Hazards — what items need to be watched to avoid roadblocks

In the process of doing this review, without distractions, you'll learn a lot about whether your effort is aligned with your goals. As well, you'll learn if your goals are consistent with your main satisfaction drivers.

I build that out annually and review it quarterly. It's been an immensely valuable tool for me.

Lots of folks resist the idea that we create our own reality through thinking about it. I always ask myself “how can I achieve anything without constantly thinking it about it”?

++

Now if you want to access the full series of posts...

http://www.endurancecorner.com/search/node/personal%20planning%20type%3Ablog%20category%3A3

You might have to copy/paste that link because my links have been going a bit weird.

Edited by GordoByrn 2009-06-27 10:54 PM
2009-06-27 10:55 PM
in reply to: #2247910

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Off on a short vacation with Monica -- back at my desk on Wednesday.

Take care,
gordo 
2009-06-30 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

I had an awesome race on Sunday.  I am really happy with how it went and I had a great time.  Here is the race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=167173

Thanks for all your support guys.

G- thanks for all of your input, it helped a ton.

2009-07-01 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2254317

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-06-30 4:50 PM

I had an awesome race on Sunday.  I am really happy with how it went and I had a great time.  Here is the race report:

Hey!

That's a nice race report template they have -- first time I have read one of those.

For next time at this distance -- try to limit your peaks to ~174 on the bike.  That will, hopefully, get your bike average down 2-3 bpm and let you get another 1-2 bpm on the run.  I've found that my best energy split between bike/run happens when I leave myself room to elevate by ~12-15 bpm on average between the two sports.

All in all - looks like a very well-paced effort for you.

2009-07-01 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2254317

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
cjhild - 2009-06-30 5:50 PM

Justin--Great job!  Looks like that deep water start didn't give you any problems at all!  So looking back, what did you do right? what do you want to improve on next time around?

Suzy

2009-07-03 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Well I am back. Ran into scheduling and balancing workouts with family life. The overall benefits outweighed the negatives, but training is going to start slowly again. I just kind of dropped off the site hear. I read through the posts hereI missed and it is looking like everyone is doing well.
Nice job on the duathlon Suzy.  I'll be around more again. Just reading the posts and Gordo's well rounded advice makes it easier to come back.
2009-07-04 1:32 AM

User image

Went for a run yesterday wearing my Vibram Five Fingers instead of the running shoes I have for PT. The run went pretty well and felt good the whole time. It was just a short run (about 15 min) as I haven't run wearing those in a long time. Today my calves are sore as expected, however, the important thing is that my knee feels fine and isn't bothering me like it was when I used my running shoes.

I also bought a bike the other day. Finally got a chance to get out and ride it this morning. First time I've ridden a bike in a few years and the clipless pedals were a big change. The ride went well though and it felt great being out on a bike again.
2009-07-04 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2261012

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I also bought a bike the other day

What did you get?!?
2009-07-04 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2257163

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Justin--Great job!  Looks like that deep water start didn't give you any problems at all!  So looking back, what did you do right? what do you want to improve on next time around?

Thanks Suzy.  Good questions, I think the thing I did best was execute a controlled swim.  In my two previous OWS I came out totally gassed.  This time I felt great and felt like I could have gone even further.  Things I need to improve on include, but are not limited to, my HR on the bike and more fitness for the run at the end. 

I am so jealous of your running proficiency, you are a rock star.

Edited by cjhild 2009-07-04 11:09 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27