General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Diego International Triathlon - International Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Koz Enterprises
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 23m 13s
Overall Rank = 634/939
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 87/101
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 12:30, 2:30, 4:10, and finally got up at 4:30 am. Got the kids going and got on the road to the harbor. Made it into transition around 5:15. I was worried about traffic at the race site parking but we drove right in. I got my transition setup and hung out with the family on a bench overlooking the harbor. It was nice. The kids were petting every dog in sight so they kept busy with that.
Event warmup:

I got up before everyone at the hotel and got in a nice stretching session there. At the race site I stretched my lower legs a bit and was feeling really good. Only had my gels pre-race. I go back and forth with food race morning. I never eat before my morning training so I went without food and feel like I did ok.
Swim
  • 17m 11s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

With the wet suit and the salt water I just floated out there before the horn. I was worried about the deep water start but it was no problem. Some guy cracked me up when he told his friend "you can't sink in a wet suit, but you sure can drown." I lined up at the back and gave it a 6 count before I started (I was going to go 10 count but as always I had to get going). I feel like I had a great swim. My big fear on my first two OW sprints was just finishing the swim. In training I have been regularly doing 2k yards so I knew I could do it. I stayed with my b/l breathing almost all the way through and felt strong and steady the whole way. I think I got a little off course after rounding the bouys swimming in the middle of the bouys but I got it straightened it out.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, try to stay on course a bit more, work on drafting to make the swim easier.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

I came into T1 and my wife was calling me over to her on the other side of the transition area. I ran over and she told me my son was sick, throwing up and that they were going to stay at the transition area instead of getting the bus over to the finish to see me there. I was bummed out! I love seeing them as I come into the finish. So I went back over and got into my bike gear. Got screwed up with my bike computer as I left it in my saddle bag, felt like I needed it so I knew where I was on the course mileage wise so I took it out and popped it in. Sucked too because I had not reset it last time I used it so I stood there getting it reset. The rest of T1 went ok though.

Be sure that the bike computer is reset and in place.
Bike
  • 58m 19s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was really nice. It was closed off with monitored intersections and lots of volunteers. I felt very strong on the climbs and passed dudes as I climbed, then got passed on the downhills, mostly by tri bike guys. There was one guy that I was passing then getting passed by on the whole ride. I seemed to get him on the hills then he got me on the downhills, that was fun, a little race within the race. Got to fly back down the hill at the end which was fast and fun. I put my bike race number on my top tube and it was flapping and getting in my way the whole ride. I need to put it on the seat post next time. I taped my gel to the bike race number and that leaked out and all over my bike, it was a gooey mess. I felt some distress in my hips in the last mile or so of the ride which was strange, was fine on the run though. I let my HR stay too high, I was trying to keep it down but it was up higher than I wanted for too much of the ride.

Work to keep my HR down. I still felt like I had a lot left for the run, so I need to figure out just how much I can push on the bike and still run ok. Put the bike race number on my seat post.
Transition 2
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Fine transition, got my bike gear off and shoes on ok. I did get hung up a little bit when a bike was in my spot when I got back. For some reason I vapor locked and could not figure out what I should do with my bike. There was plenty of room on the other side of both bikes next to my transition setup, so I just put it over there. Not sure why it took me so long to figure out what to do?? Strange. I put on my glasses and race belt and took off, the family was still outside transition and my boy was laying there not looking too good.

Make a quicker decision with the bike, I threw myself off a bit there.
Run
  • 1h 01m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt awesome at the start of the run. I got to mile 3 and was thinking they had placed the markers too close, I could not believe how good I felt at that point. The guy I was playing cat and mouse with on the bike was just ahead of me early in the run and I saw him stop and stretch his calf a bit. He got started running again but was going a bit slow. I caught him and passed him, then he never passed me back. The way I figure it I was racing him and I came in first place!!! (j/k, kind of) I hit mile four and felt a bit of a dropoff in my energy level. The last half of the run was all facing the sun so it started to feel a little hot. I hit the last mile and faded pretty good. After I passed the mile five point and kept hoping the finish would show up pretty soon. Made it in to the finish line and the family was there! My son started feeling better and they were there when I came across the line. It was awesome to see them when I thought they would be back at the transition area, great surprise.

Keep training to improve my fitness level so I can improve the run, I feel like the run is where I can see a lot of improvement
Post race
Warm down:

Got across the line and got some oranges, Powerade, muffin, and banana. I was a little woozy for awhile but felt better after eating. Did a little bit of stretching then headed back over to pick up the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to continue to build my fitness, feel like I put in a great effort based on current fitness level.

Event comments:

I thought the race was very well organized. There were charter style buses to go back and forth from transition to the finish line, very nice buses so that was cool. Largest race for me yet, it was fun to be at a big one like that.

Last updated: 2009-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:11 | 1094 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/101
Overall: 0/939
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU
Course: Deep water start, rectangle down the harbor and back in to the small beach
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:19 | 18.64 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Average HR- 165 Max HR- 180
Wind: Headwind
Course: Leave from the harbor and head up to Point Loma, loop from the top down and back up, then all the way back down to the harbor.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:43 | 06.21 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Average HR- 174 Max HR- 196
Course: The run was flat and went around Harbor Island then down along the Embarcadero to the finish at Seaport Village. It was really nice running along the water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-30 5:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: San Diego International Triathlon - International Course

2009-07-01 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2254301

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: San Diego International Triathlon - International Course
Justin

You had a great race!  Congratulations--your swim and bike times were smoking!

Suzy
2009-07-05 6:38 AM
in reply to: #2254301

Expert
Subject: RE: San Diego International Triathlon - International Course

Justin - Loved the RR. Sorry 'bout the sick kid. My boy is also good at barfing at various family events/trips, example: Library of Congress tour, he puked (into my hat rather than on the marble floor - fast thinking, Mom!) so I'm right there with you on that one - but hey good race dude. I am jealous of your swim pace. And smokin' bike split. I also watch the skinny fast guys and gals on tri bikes blow past me on the down hills. What does that say about our aerodynamic situation, huh? And that was a good run too. Excellent race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed