Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-02-09 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2662764

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Lumber Dad's Group - Closed
jgerbodegrant - 2010-02-09 6:29 AM For all of you runners:  I have been switching to forefoot running for the past three or four runs.  This was mostly because my new orthodics were trashing my arches and I couldn't put pressure on them or they would crack and bleed.  I have really enjoyed it.  I sort of worked my way up in terms of time.  The first day I did about 20 minutes, then 35, then 50 etc.  My run on Sunday was 1:15 and felt just fine, but my calves are quite sore right in the middle where your achillies attaches to the muscle.  It's not all the time, just when I flex them, so it's not injured, just sore.  I have a 40 minute tempo run today that I am thinking about not doing because I don't want to overdo it.  Any suggestions?  I'm trying to "listen to my body." But it's not speaking the same language right now, so it's tough.

I would not do it...I am all for forefoot running because I am pretty much at the extreme when it comes to toe running but I would work on some calf/achillles strenghting exercies before you decide to forefoot run all runs.  Lots of stretching too. 

Did you switch to a different type of shoe or same shoe and same orthodics? I am curious because I made a shoe switch in November that really helped my running.

2010-02-09 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2664050

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
lrunfit - 2010-02-09 3:59 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-02-09 6:29 AM For all of you runners:  I have been switching to forefoot running for the past three or four runs.  This was mostly because my new orthodics were trashing my arches and I couldn't put pressure on them or they would crack and bleed.  I have really enjoyed it.  I sort of worked my way up in terms of time.  The first day I did about 20 minutes, then 35, then 50 etc.  My run on Sunday was 1:15 and felt just fine, but my calves are quite sore right in the middle where your achillies attaches to the muscle.  It's not all the time, just when I flex them, so it's not injured, just sore.  I have a 40 minute tempo run today that I am thinking about not doing because I don't want to overdo it.  Any suggestions?  I'm trying to "listen to my body." But it's not speaking the same language right now, so it's tough.

I would not do it...I am all for forefoot running because I am pretty much at the extreme when it comes to toe running but I would work on some calf/achillles strenghting exercies before you decide to forefoot run all runs.  Lots of stretching too. 

Did you switch to a different type of shoe or same shoe and same orthodics? I am curious because I made a shoe switch in November that really helped my running.

I decided I'm going to "start over" because I never did establish good form for running and in order to do it right, I think the general concensus is to start slow, high frequency, low volume and work my way up in distance.  This form feels so much more natural that I want to continue it, but do it the right way.  I am running in a different pair of shoes than I had with my orthodics...mostly because those were neutral and the ones I'm in now are partial motion control. 

How does this method sound to you?  I want to be able to confidently run my HIM in August, and was planning on doing a half mary in april or may, but that might not be in the cards now.
2010-02-09 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2662764

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
jgerbodegrant - 2010-02-09 6:29 AMFor all of you runners:  I have been switching to forefoot running for the past three or four runs.  This was mostly because my new orthodics were trashing my arches and I couldn't put pressure on them or they would crack and bleed.  I have really enjoyed it.  I sort of worked my way up in terms of time.  The first day I did about 20 minutes, then 35, then 50 etc.  My run on Sunday was 1:15 and felt just fine, but my calves are quite sore right in the middle where your achillies attaches to the muscle.  It's not all the time, just when I flex them, so it's not injured, just sore.  I have a 40 minute tempo run today that I am thinking about not doing because I don't want to overdo it.  Any suggestions?  I'm trying to "listen to my body." But it's not speaking the same language right now, so it's tough.
A couple years ago I attended a tri camp. The one thing I got from the running was that I needed to increase my leg turn over, in order to do this you would need to shorten your stride and keep off your heels. I try and do this, but I have been running for over 25 years and it is hard to change.
2010-02-10 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2664798

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Lumber Dad - 2010-02-09 10:20 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-02-09 6:29 AMFor all of you runners:  I have been switching to forefoot running for the past three or four runs.  This was mostly because my new orthodics were trashing my arches and I couldn't put pressure on them or they would crack and bleed.  I have really enjoyed it.  I sort of worked my way up in terms of time.  The first day I did about 20 minutes, then 35, then 50 etc.  My run on Sunday was 1:15 and felt just fine, but my calves are quite sore right in the middle where your achillies attaches to the muscle.  It's not all the time, just when I flex them, so it's not injured, just sore.  I have a 40 minute tempo run today that I am thinking about not doing because I don't want to overdo it.  Any suggestions?  I'm trying to "listen to my body." But it's not speaking the same language right now, so it's tough.
A couple years ago I attended a tri camp. The one thing I got from the running was that I needed to increase my leg turn over, in order to do this you would need to shorten your stride and keep off your heels. I try and do this, but I have been running for over 25 years and it is hard to change.

I am actually excited to hear this because I actually have only been running for about a year...and it's been very off and on with several issues.  And I never really established any form at all.  I am reading about the right way to do it and we'll see how it goes.  I already have very quick turn-over and run at about 40-45 spm.  We'll see how it goes.  Like I said, I'm going to wait a couple days until my calves are no longer sore and start out at 15 min. increments and work up like five minutes or so every 10-14 days.  I plan on keeping frequency higher...around 3 days the first week, four the second week and so on.
2010-02-10 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2558347

User image

Expert
Illinois
While we are on the topic of running form, what's the consensus on treadmill running? I have a hard time getting comfortable on the darned thing, it seems to force a change of form. The people I see at the gym who seem to be most comfortable seem to be lengthening their stride quite a bit and almost heel striking.
2010-02-10 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2665596

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
abake - 2010-02-10 11:15 AM While we are on the topic of running form, what's the consensus on treadmill running? I have a hard time getting comfortable on the darned thing, it seems to force a change of form. The people I see at the gym who seem to be most comfortable seem to be lengthening their stride quite a bit and almost heel striking.

I obviously should not be answering this question in my current "run state", but I will say that I tend to run way too far forward up near the computer of the mill instead of running in the middle of it.  This more or less forces you to increase your cadence and land under your body instead of out in front.

2010-02-10 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2665630

User image

Expert
Illinois
jgerbodegrant - 2010-02-10 10:26 AM
I obviously should not be answering this question in my current "run state", but I will say that I tend to run way too far forward up near the computer of the mill instead of running in the middle of it.  This more or less forces you to increase your cadence and land under your body instead of out in front.

See, I think I do this too (run too close to the front).  It feels very uncomfortable in the confined space of the treadmill.  Maybe it's the fear of getting too close to the back of the belt and flipping off the back.
2010-02-10 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2665721

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
abake - 2010-02-10 11:56 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-02-10 10:26 AM

See, I think I do this too (run too close to the front).  It feels very uncomfortable in the confined space of the treadmill.  Maybe it's the fear of getting too close to the back of the belt and flipping off the back.

That's DEFINITELY the case for me.  I'm 6'4" in my sneakers and my long legs actually come very close to the back when I'm not right against the bar.
2010-02-10 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2665596

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
abake - 2010-02-10 10:15 AM While we are on the topic of running form, what's the consensus on treadmill running? I have a hard time getting comfortable on the darned thing, it seems to force a change of form. The people I see at the gym who seem to be most comfortable seem to be lengthening their stride quite a bit and almost heel striking.

Haven't been on a treadmill for couple years now. I know I used to stay up to the front, some times I would end up kicking the front I got so close.

If there is still snow on the ground this sping when it comes time to start speed work I might do my speed work on the treadmill, I don't think Brewer will like that though.
2010-02-10 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI

Yay! Running..this is my area of expertise (maybe )

First of all ...form...I wish I was able to see you guys run and do some workouts with you. I think it is great that you are thinking about form from the get go.  A couple of things..work on landing on the forefoot and letting the rest of the foot follow - think about smooth strides and minimizing any bounce.  Sometimes when you try too hard to land on the forefoot you spend more time going up than foreword. 

I would not encourage you to shorten your stride except on a hill.  Try to to keep it comfy and natural.  Now to hills...hills are a great place to practice form.   As you stride up the hill make sure to keep your chest open..don't let your shoulders round out.  That will help with breathing.  Also think about how your hands and arms are.  Are they crossing your body?  They should be staying at the sides.

Speedwork...this is another place to practice form even if it is just for a couple of minutes.  Speed and efficiency go hand in hand and we all want to be efficient runners.  The more efficient we are the less energy we waste.

Ok so that was a lot of info.  As for treadmills...I don't like them at all.  I do the same thing getting close to the front and my stride doesn;t feel right.  If you are going to use a treadmill be careful especially if you do hill work on it.  I have had numberous friends who have had calf issues from using the treadmill.  I can see doing speework on it though because that would be short bursts with easy recovery in between.

That is my 2 cents (maybe more like 25 after all of that typing.)

2010-02-10 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2666277

User image

Expert
Illinois
lrunfit - 2010-02-10 2:18 PM

...As for treadmills...I don't like them at all.  I do the same thing getting close to the front and my stride doesn;t feel right.  If you are going to use a treadmill be careful especially if you do hill work on it.  I have had numberous friends who have had calf issues from using the treadmill.  I can see doing speework on it though because that would be short bursts with easy recovery in between.

Thanks for the advice, I find that my calves are always sore after using a treadmill. It just feels unnatural. We had another winter storm here so running outside on the ice seemed like a bad call. I'm taking my act back to the Y and run on the little indoor track!

2010-02-11 6:46 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
lrunfit - 2010-02-10 3:18 PM

Yay! Running..this is my area of expertise (maybe )

First of all ...form...I wish I was able to see you guys run and do some workouts with you. I think it is great that you are thinking about form from the get go.  A couple of things..work on landing on the forefoot and letting the rest of the foot follow - think about smooth strides and minimizing any bounce.  Sometimes when you try too hard to land on the forefoot you spend more time going up than foreword. 

I would not encourage you to shorten your stride except on a hill.  Try to to keep it comfy and natural.  Now to hills...hills are a great place to practice form.   As you stride up the hill make sure to keep your chest open..don't let your shoulders round out.  That will help with breathing.  Also think about how your hands and arms are.  Are they crossing your body?  They should be staying at the sides.

Speedwork...this is another place to practice form even if it is just for a couple of minutes.  Speed and efficiency go hand in hand and we all want to be efficient runners.  The more efficient we are the less energy we waste.

Ok so that was a lot of info.  As for treadmills...I don't like them at all.  I do the same thing getting close to the front and my stride doesn;t feel right.  If you are going to use a treadmill be careful especially if you do hill work on it.  I have had numberous friends who have had calf issues from using the treadmill.  I can see doing speework on it though because that would be short bursts with easy recovery in between.

That is my 2 cents (maybe more like 25 after all of that typing.)

Thanks for the info!  I'm starting my 15 min run sessions today.  15 minutes sounds like such a short period of time compared to the hour and fifteen last Sunday.  I guess it's good if you're just starting new form.  What intensity should I be doing these short sessions at?  I plan on doing my swim or bike after so there's not much of a warm up.
2010-02-11 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI

What is the purpose of the 15 minute run?

2010-02-11 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Forgot to do the Wednesday weigh-in, 177.2, think that is down a little from last week. Must have been since I didn't write last weeks weight down.

Go in for sinus surgery tomorrow, hope the third time takes care of it. So that means no workout for 7 - 10 days, by Monday I will be able to take Brewer for a short walk. So I looks like I will spend the weekend sitting on the couch watcing the Olympics.
2010-02-11 11:54 AM

Freeland
Thanks for the info greatly appreciated.

Weighed in at 250lbs, so a little inprovement form the last time.  Has anybody tried P90x?  Just curious.  Looking for something different.  Thanks.

Jon
2010-02-11 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2667460

Freeland
Good luck on the surgey.

2010-02-11 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Good luck on the surgery. Keep us updated!
2010-02-11 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Good luck with your surgery!
2010-02-11 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2667460

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lumber Dad - 2010-02-11 8:10 AM Forgot to do the Wednesday weigh-in, 177.2, think that is down a little from last week. Must have been since I didn't write last weeks weight down.

Go in for sinus surgery tomorrow, hope the third time takes care of it. So that means no workout for 7 - 10 days, by Monday I will be able to take Brewer for a short walk. So I looks like I will spend the weekend sitting on the couch watcing the Olympics.

Good luck with your surgery and enjoy the break! 
2010-02-12 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Thanks all!

2010-02-12 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Weekend plans..What is everyon up to?

I get to go to my daughters school this afternoon for their classes valentine's party. Then tonight we are going back for family  night.  Games, dancing..I think I might have seen something about doing the macarena Surprised

Other than that teaching spin as usual, some running and maybe a swim. 

2010-02-12 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2670248

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI

Wknd plans: Got my long run in yesterday and I am feelin' BEAT UP. Giving my legs a rest today and then tomorrow planning an early AM "recovery" run. Plan to add some other cardio & weight training fun this wknd, too. 

My daughter has another basketball tourney this wknd. We'll be in Shiocton on Sunday. The girls are ready. It's fun to watch this team play. They work really hard and play well together.

And dancing to the Macarena tonight? Not in my plans. But sounds like fun! When the DJ plays it tonight don't be afraid to lead the dance and pick up the tempo a little. Song length is about 4-5 minutes - work everyone's heart rate up to Zone 3?  

"Hey Macarena!"

2010-02-12 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Well made it through sinus surgery, now I spend the next 3 days sitting on the couch. Have to try to keep my head up so my nose doesn't drain. They put packing in my nose so i have strings hanging out, which are very annoying. Have some good drugs but haven't had to use them yet.
2010-02-13 6:42 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Glad to hear that you got through it ok. 

Randy

2010-02-14 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Spent another day on the couch, driving me crazy. I don't go back to the doctor until Feb 23rd, so that means no working out until after that :-(

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lumber Dad's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 28