Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-02-19 4:57 AM
in reply to: #2680731

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Hugs - February Challenge
rnihill - 2010-02-18 7:45 PM I've had a bad week... Mother in law was visiting (joy, joy). You'd think she's be SOME help with the kids, but she really just makes more work. My husband has worked late every day and last night one daughter had a gushing, bloody nose ALL over her bed and the other peed her bed. Ugh. I have my annual performance review tomorrow at work so this hasn't been the best week to take longer workout lunches either. I'm struggling to get any exercise in week. Grrrr..... Can you tell I'm getting grumpy? And I need to bring cupcakes to work tomorrow for a stupid office bd party. At least the girls had fun making (and tasting) chocolate cupcakes tongiht! Off to make their beds, brush teeth and hopefully not fall asleep with my little angels so I can watch some Olympics on the trainer tonight.

Ugh.  That sounds pretty dreadful.  I can totally relate with your MIL visit.  Mine is the same way!  She doesn't do anything while she's here except sit and make more work for me!  So frustrating!  Hopefully she's headed home soon and things will calm down for you.

2010-02-19 5:00 AM
in reply to: #2644663

User image

Elite
Connecticut
My niece is here for a few days.  Sort of an impromptu stay.  She and Alex are the same age so I thought it might be nice for them to have a sleep over.  So, Alex is staying home from school today and we are headed to the grocery store.  Such fun, no?  Then out to lunch and to Replay Sports.  Alex is playing lacrosse (I love lax!) this year and needs gear.  I don't want to pay out the rear for it all so I am checking around. 

I'll probably hit the trainer sometime today but I am NOT running.  My legs are sore and tired.  I think a short spin might be on my radar for today and that is it!
2010-02-19 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2681143

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
ebshot - 2010-02-19 5:57 AM
rnihill - 2010-02-18 7:45 PM I've had a bad week... Mother in law was visiting (joy, joy). You'd think she's be SOME help with the kids, but she really just makes more work. My husband has worked late every day and last night one daughter had a gushing, bloody nose ALL over her bed and the other peed her bed. Ugh. I have my annual performance review tomorrow at work so this hasn't been the best week to take longer workout lunches either. I'm struggling to get any exercise in week. Grrrr..... Can you tell I'm getting grumpy? And I need to bring cupcakes to work tomorrow for a stupid office bd party. At least the girls had fun making (and tasting) chocolate cupcakes tongiht! Off to make their beds, brush teeth and hopefully not fall asleep with my little angels so I can watch some Olympics on the trainer tonight.

Ugh.  That sounds pretty dreadful.  I can totally relate with your MIL visit.  Mine is the same way!  She doesn't do anything while she's here except sit and make more work for me!  So frustrating!  Hopefully she's headed home soon and things will calm down for you.

Hey, I think we all share the same Monster Mother in Law!!! 

I got a 5 mile treadmill run in this morning.  I'm officially ahead of goal now and plan to stay that way.  My biggest concern with the 1/2 marathon coming up on 3/21 is that I haven't done any outside running yet.  I hate the freaking cold weather.  I think it's going to be quite a shock to the system when I finally do get outside.  Maybe this weekend I can go out for a run to test out the lungs.  Have a great weekend, Huggies!
2010-02-19 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2680731

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
rnihill - 2010-02-18 5:45 PM I've had a bad week... Mother in law was visiting (joy, joy). You'd think she's be SOME help with the kids, but she really just makes more work. My husband has worked late every day and last night one daughter had a gushing, bloody nose ALL over her bed and the other peed her bed. Ugh. I have my annual performance review tomorrow at work so this hasn't been the best week to take longer workout lunches either. I'm struggling to get any exercise in week. Grrrr..... Can you tell I'm getting grumpy? And I need to bring cupcakes to work tomorrow for a stupid office bd party. At least the girls had fun making (and tasting) chocolate cupcakes tongiht! Off to make their beds, brush teeth and hopefully not fall asleep with my little angels so I can watch some Olympics on the trainer tonight.

Hang in there.  I found that those horrible times are usually followed by one of those moments that remind me that it's all worth while.  I hope that moment comes soon for you.
2010-02-19 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2681143

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
ebshot - 2010-02-19 3:57 AM

I consider myself lucky that my MIL doesn't visit very often. The last time she visited she brought her new fiance, which wasn't a good experience.  He inspected our house when we were out for a minute and then told everyone what he thought was wrong with our house as they made the rounds visiting the rest of the family.  He was also commenting on the size of his future DIL chests and making other inappropriate comments considering the role he would be filling.  Luckily there were several people that called her and brought these things to her attention and they ended up calling things off.  In the end I think it was the MIL visit that had the best end results.  Her Christmas card this year was amazing.  It was a picture of her with her ex-fiance and said "Remember how happy you were when we broke up?  I hope you are that happy this Christmas."
2010-02-19 10:31 AM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
Got to go running last night for the first time since surgery.  It was good to get out there.  I had to cut it a little short though since my son had a concert I needed to go to. Went straight in from my run, still in shorts and everything.  Got a few funny looks (especially from my wife) but I was too excited that I got to go running to care.  And my son did an excellent job with his piano solo, which I am proud to say that he composed himself.

2010-02-19 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2681654

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
pdbman - 2010-02-19 10:27 AM I consider myself lucky that my MIL doesn't visit very often. The last time she visited she brought her new fiance, which wasn't a good experience.  He inspected our house when we were out for a minute and then told everyone what he thought was wrong with our house as they made the rounds visiting the rest of the family.  He was also commenting on the size of his future DIL chests and making other inappropriate comments considering the role he would be filling.  Luckily there were several people that called her and brought these things to her attention and they ended up calling things off.  In the end I think it was the MIL visit that had the best end results.  Her Christmas card this year was amazing.  It was a picture of her with her ex-fiance and said "Remember how happy you were when we broke up?  I hope you are that happy this Christmas."

Too funny.  I'll consider myself fortunate.

30 minutes on the treadmill doing walk/run.  Kept pace below 11:30min/mi.  Actually felt good to get on a treadmill.  Knee felt fine.  Am slowly strengthening and trying to get back to 100%.  My swim goal (LOVE) is done since it wasn't my 'original' LOVE goal (I was gonna concentrate on biking and running).  I may revise LOVE goal up a bit.

Edited by sparco 2010-02-19 10:38 AM
2010-02-19 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2681654

User image

Master
Albany, NY
pdbman - 2010-02-19 11:27 AM

I consider myself lucky that my MIL doesn't visit very often. The last time she visited she brought her new fiance, which wasn't a good experience.  He inspected our house when we were out for a minute and then told everyone what he thought was wrong with our house as they made the rounds visiting the rest of the family.  He was also commenting on the size of his future DIL chests and making other inappropriate comments considering the role he would be filling.  Luckily there were several people that called her and brought these things to her attention and they ended up calling things off.  In the end I think it was the MIL visit that had the best end results.  Her Christmas card this year was amazing.  It was a picture of her with her ex-fiance and said "Remember how happy you were when we broke up?  I hope you are that happy this Christmas."

LOL! I am constantly amazed at how many nutty people there are out there... At least they make me look sane! Well, saner...

I haven't quite forgiven my MIL from last New Year's Eve. My MIL HAD to have xmas at her house but none of us (our fam and husbands 3 sibs) wanted to travel and be away from home on xmas day. Our kids all still believe in Santa and we want our own traditions, etc. So we all compromised with having "xmas" at her house on New Years Day. So that day we wake up and are packing and you can tell that my daughter (2 at the time) was not feeling well. I gave her some tylenol and thought that if we could just get going she could rest in the car. Never really thought about NOT going since we knew how important to his mom this was. Needless to say, my daughter spiked a temp fast, had a febrile seizure, choked on her own puke, turned blue, and I had to give her the heimlich while waiting for the amulance ride to the er. Turns out she had strep, which caused her temp to spike so fast and brought on the seizure. The next day we took her to the doc and he thought it was fine to go since she was now on antibiotics and there were no lasting effects from the seizure. So we pack up, thinking the girls will be happy to see the family and we could also use some family support after the ordeal. So we call her to tell her we are on our way for "xmas" and she tells us to turn around and not bother. She uninvited us from "xmas" because it was going to be too stressful for HER to have a sick kid around. In the days that followed she never even called to see how her granddaughter was. More than a year later she still hasn't asked about what happened or apologized for banning us from xmas. And this incident is just the tip of the iceberg with her... When she's around I'm always tense because I try to act pleasant around the kids. They don't need to know that their grandma is a whacko quite yet...

Anyhow, fell asleep with the kids last night as I feared and hubby didn't wake me up when he finally came home. He'll be home late again tonight but I plan to pump lots of coffee into my system so I CAN'T fall asleep and WILL get the the trainer! Boy, how my Friday nights have changed... Maybe as extra incentive to get up and on the trainer I will reward myself with one of the "good" bottles of red instead of one of the "anyday" bottles!
2010-02-19 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2681666

User image

Master
Albany, NY
pdbman - 2010-02-19 11:31 AM

Got to go running last night for the first time since surgery.  It was good to get out there.  I had to cut it a little short though since my son had a concert I needed to go to. Went straight in from my run, still in shorts and everything.  Got a few funny looks (especially from my wife) but I was too excited that I got to go running to care.  And my son did an excellent job with his piano solo, which I am proud to say that he composed himself.

At least no one told you that "you stink"...? If I actually get to run after work and pick my daughter up from school w/o showering usually she thinks it's great to tell me how bad I smell. Usually, "Mom, you STINK!!" Glad you enjoyed your run!
2010-02-19 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Albany, NY
Oh, and if any of you remember my post from a couple days ago - I've decided to go with the Oly for my August race. Working on my training plan now! My husband's work project will be over next week so I shouldn't have that training distraction to worry about. And I think I'm still going to do a local sprint later on with my cousin in law. So I can push myself for the Oly AND have fun in the sprint!
2010-02-19 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi Hugs,

what's for dinner? I need inspiration...

2010-02-19 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
What's for dinner?... as I just told my wife, I'm having an "olive salad with vodka dressing"... AKA a dirty martini.  I have to get through a 3:00 meeting with the division head first, so I'll be ready for it!!!
2010-02-19 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
And I just reached 250 posts... another reason to celebrate!!!Cool
2010-02-19 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2682240

User image

Master
Albany, NY
billsorg - 2010-02-19 2:44 PM

What's for dinner?... as I just told my wife, I'm having an "olive salad with vodka dressing"... AKA a dirty martini.  I have to get through a 3:00 meeting with the division head first, so I'll be ready for it!!!

Love it!
2010-02-19 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2682124

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
rnihill - 2010-02-19 1:04 PM Oh, and if any of you remember my post from a couple days ago - I've decided to go with the Oly for my August race. Working on my training plan now! My husband's work project will be over next week so I shouldn't have that training distraction to worry about. And I think I'm still going to do a local sprint later on with my cousin in law. So I can push myself for the Oly AND have fun in the sprint!

Awesome!
2010-02-19 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2682141

User image

Elite
Connecticut
quincyf - 2010-02-19 2:13 PM Hi Hugs, what's for dinner? I need inspiration...

*sigh*  It's Friday in Lent.  Fish here.  I HATE fish.  Really, I HATE it.  Gross.  But, we had mac and cheese for lunch and pasta last night so it is fish tonight.  But, on the bright side, I am going out to dinner with two wonderful BTers.  So, the family can choke down the fish and I'm off to have some fun.  But, no alcohol for me!!  Diet Coke all night.  Yup, sticking with my plan!  Lent is all about making sacrifices, right?

2010-02-19 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2682124

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
rnihill - 2010-02-19 2:04 PM Oh, and if any of you remember my post from a couple days ago - I've decided to go with the Oly for my August race. Working on my training plan now! My husband's work project will be over next week so I shouldn't have that training distraction to worry about. And I think I'm still going to do a local sprint later on with my cousin in law. So I can push myself for the Oly AND have fun in the sprint!

Good job, Rhoda!  You'll do great. 
2010-02-19 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2682098

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
rnihill - 2010-02-19 1:57 PM
pdbman - 2010-02-19 11:27 AM

LOL! I am constantly amazed at how many nutty people there are out there... At least they make me look sane! Well, saner... I haven't quite forgiven my MIL from last New Year's Eve. My MIL HAD to have xmas at her house but none of us (our fam and husbands 3 sibs) wanted to travel and be away from home on xmas day. Our kids all still believe in Santa and we want our own traditions, etc. So we all compromised with having "xmas" at her house on New Years Day. So that day we wake up and are packing and you can tell that my daughter (2 at the time) was not feeling well. I gave her some tylenol and thought that if we could just get going she could rest in the car. Never really thought about NOT going since we knew how important to his mom this was. Needless to say, my daughter spiked a temp fast, had a febrile seizure, choked on her own puke, turned blue, and I had to give her the heimlich while waiting for the amulance ride to the er. Turns out she had strep, which caused her temp to spike so fast and brought on the seizure. The next day we took her to the doc and he thought it was fine to go since she was now on antibiotics and there were no lasting effects from the seizure. So we pack up, thinking the girls will be happy to see the family and we could also use some family support after the ordeal. So we call her to tell her we are on our way for "xmas" and she tells us to turn around and not bother. She uninvited us from "xmas" because it was going to be too stressful for HER to have a sick kid around. In the days that followed she never even called to see how her granddaughter was. More than a year later she still hasn't asked about what happened or apologized for banning us from xmas. And this incident is just the tip of the iceberg with her... When she's around I'm always tense because I try to act pleasant around the kids. They don't need to know that their grandma is a whacko quite yet... Anyhow, fell asleep with the kids last night as I feared and hubby didn't wake me up when he finally came home. He'll be home late again tonight but I plan to pump lots of coffee into my system so I CAN'T fall asleep and WILL get the the trainer! Boy, how my Friday nights have changed... Maybe as extra incentive to get up and on the trainer I will reward myself with one of the "good" bottles of red instead of one of the "anyday" bottles!
OMG! What a horrible holiday memory.  My family tag line is "we put the FUN in dysFUNctional".  Guess we all have a story...
2010-02-19 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2682452

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
ebshot - 2010-02-19 4:04 PM

*sigh*  It's Friday in Lent.  Fish here.  I HATE fish.  Really, I HATE it.  Gross.  But, we had mac and cheese for lunch and pasta last night so it is fish tonight.  But, on the bright side, I am going out to dinner with two wonderful BTers.  So, the family can choke down the fish and I'm off to have some fun.  But, no alcohol for me!!  Diet Coke all night.  Yup, sticking with my plan!  Lent is all about making sacrifices, right?
My local fish market sells shrimp already stuffed with ritz crackers and crabmeat, just bake for 15 minutes-awesome! I stopped on the way home from work and was surprised at the crowd until I remembered it was the first Friday of Lent.  I'm thinking of having another round of cosmos before doing some PT stuff.  I think vodka is a great joint lubricant!

Edited by KOM 2010-02-19 6:51 PM
2010-02-19 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2681666

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
pdbman - 2010-02-19 11:31 AM Got to go running last night for the first time since surgery.  It was good to get out there.  I had to cut it a little short though since my son had a concert I needed to go to. Went straight in from my run, still in shorts and everything.  Got a few funny looks (especially from my wife) but I was too excited that I got to go running to care.  And my son did an excellent job with his piano solo, which I am proud to say that he composed himself.
Congrats on your run, your license and your son's accomplishments! Sounds like a great week for you and your family!!

Edited by KOM 2010-02-19 6:50 PM
2010-02-19 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey, congrats Sal, first hug to 100%!!!

2010-02-19 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2682452

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
ebshot - 2010-02-19 3:04 PM

We went to the KC fish fry tonight.  I like fish - I like it better when it's salmon, and I grill it.  even better when it's shrimp, and I grill (and season) that too.  I'm doing good on mine - no booze at all - but not for a lack of thinking about it.  No coffee has been the big one so far.  and of course, today turned into another rest day.  Was to do 3 and 6 tomorrow.  I'll get the run in tomorrow, I promise! 
2010-02-19 9:49 PM

User image

Master
Albany, NY
Got almost an hour of quality time in on the trainer tonight... What a Friday night!
2010-02-20 1:00 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
My in-laws live 9 hours away.  We meet up with them and camp together a couple times each year.  It is perfect.  Just when they start to drive me crazy I escape into my own trailor for awhile.  I haven't had to stay with them at their house in a long time.  When that time comes I imagine that I will have a really high training volume week using it as an excuse to get out and away.  haha.
2010-02-20 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2680456

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
pdbman - 2010-02-18 4:53 PM Have some good news today.  
1-Got in a good workout last night and weighed in for the week. Down 2.8 pounds.  First real lose this year.  Excited about that. 
2-Went to the eye doctor this morning and things look good. Forgot to ask so had to call back and ask if I can get back to running and swimming. Ok to run but need to wait another week on the swim. I'm going to try to squeeze in a run between work and my sons concert tonight. If I get a run in tonight I will be caught up with my goal for the month and Saturday's long run will put me ahead.
3-I also got my social security card in the mail yesterday so after the doctor this morning I took some time to go in and renew my drivers license. I am now a legal person and can prove it.  So I drove straight to the HR office and should them my ID so I can continue to work. Really excited to have that off my to do list.

Unlike others, I am not having a problem spending too much time in the office this week (didn't make it in until noon today). I might have to put some time in on Saturday to get things finished up though.

WOW Sounds like a great week for you!
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Hugs - February Challenge Rss Feed  

of 27