BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-05-04 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2835422

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
I also say go for it Karen.  Before my 1st tri I looked at the previous year's list and saw 400 people that finished.  I could assume that the same # of people would do it again when I raced but that was no guarantee that 1000 people wouldn't show up or maybe only 20 would. 
Plus it would be exciting down the road if you race that tri again to say, "I did this in it's inaugural season!"  Like someone else said maybe they will pay attention to every detail and it will be amazing or maybe they will still need to work out a few kinks for next year and you can give helpful feedback.  Plus it's cool that you have one so close by.  The Chicago Tri is one of the largest in the world (around 9000 participants).  It was a bit overwhelming but I mainly did it because it was less than 1/2 mile from my condo!

2010-05-04 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2835422

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
gadgetlaw - 2010-05-04 8:33 AM   There is a new Sprint tri scheduled at a state park that is about 15 minutes from my house.  It is where I do my open water swim practice.  

Karen

It's your 'hood, your territory, you will own it!!!  Do it!!! 
2010-05-04 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey all, I've been in receive mode only lately, busy busy, thought I would update a bit...

Training is going well...had to take a day off in addition to my rest day because I had this nagging cold-like thing.  It wasn't enough to take to my bed (like the children would allow that anyway) but it was definitely a warning sign to back off a bit.  Fortunately I was able to do my Sunday ride...I get such a happy feeling after I bike...I am almost addicted to it...biker's high?

Anyway, training is good, staying on my little program (for the June Oly) pretty well and even caught up from my day off...moving things around a bit this week because I pulled the trigger on a two-person time trial for Saturday.  I wasn't expecting to do it, but the girls on my cycling team encouraged me and one of them volunteered to be my partner.  It will be interesting to see how it goes...it's 40k...and we worked on lead change, wind, hill, and cornering strategies.  My partner is an experienced TT'er (not a triathlete) so that is good from a learning standpoint, but hard for her because she has to teach me a lot.  AFA the cycling in general, I look at racing with a team as a great way to get time in the saddle and learn as much as I can about cycling...it can only help with triathlon and it seems to be turning into a new obsession all its own.  Oh, and DH got a bike, so the sickness is spreading.  I love it.

After this, I am going to ramp the running up a bit.  I was feeling tired in the first few weeks of training but I think I am acclimating to the periodization and I want to make sure I don't let the run slip away with all the cycling and swimming.

Swimming is somewhat frustrating, but I am going to a swim clinic on Sunday (my mother's day present to myself) hoping to pick up some technique tips there, and I might go ahead and see if I can get a coach for maybe 3 sessions to give me some specific pointers.  I am maxed out at around 1:45-1:50/100 right now, which is fine, but I'd like to get faster.  This may be where I have to be patient and really put the time in the water in...I haven't been doing any of this stuff for long...

Anyway, I'll report back about the time trial...I enjoyed hearing about y'all's races, what's coming up this weekend?

Q

2010-05-04 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2836113

User image

Master
Vista, CA

quincyf - 2010-05-04 10:19 AM
gadgetlaw - 2010-05-04 8:33 AM   There is a new Sprint tri scheduled at a state park that is about 15 minutes from my house.  It is where I do my open water swim practice.  

Karen

It's your 'hood, your territory, you will own it!!!  Do it!!! 

Must agree with the group here, Karen. I would also just keep in mind if it's a company that hasn't done many tris everything may not go like clockwork. Just roll with it. It would be very nice to have it so close to home. Cuts down expenses, increases sleep and kind of gives you as an athlete a sense of ownership. Then you can tell everyone else next year what a great event it was.

2010-05-04 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Hi Manatees!  Sorry to be so quiet -- hubby and I snuck in a weekend away for our anniversary this past weekend, and I was blissfully unplugged.  And then there was work to be done.  It's just been crazed.  The good news is, we didn't blow off training -- I ran both days, we borrowed rickety beach cruisers and did 4 miles on those (and we were slow, but I swear it was harder than doing twice the distance on my normal bike!) and I attempted two OWSs in the Gulf (no oil in sight; hasn't gotten to us yet).  I am racing this weekend -- finally, my very first triathlon!  I am nervous as heck, but I am hoping that a lake swim is going to be a lot easier than my ocean swims were this weekend.

Lynn. CONGRATS on an awesome Marathon.

Karen, I've volunteered at a small local tri (did that to get an idea of what to expect at my upcoming first real race).  It was small, but really personal and well done.  DO IT -- and of for whatever reason you can't, then at least volunteer.  You will get a lot out of being involved!

Emily, rest that ankle!

I know I am missing a lot -- will review and come back.
2010-05-05 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2837450

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Dineen - Isn't it great to be unplugged from the world for awhile sometimes?  I am so excited for you for your first tri this weekend!  You will be great!  Remember to smile and have fun and thank the volunteers.  Your first one is always quite memorable.  And get plenty of sleep on Friday night since your race is on Sunday. Of course try to sleep on Sat night too   But I kept waking up the night before my first tri so that's why I recommend focusing on a really good night's rest on Friday.

2010-05-05 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Dineen - you have to be so excited about your first race this weekend...you will have a blast!!!  And, you'll be completely addicted!  Can't wait to read your RR.
2010-05-05 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Hope everyone has a fun Cinco de Mayo.  Have a margarita and celebrate Mexico's victory...many years ago Laughing
2010-05-05 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

How exciting, Dineen!! Your first tri will be memorable. I remember thinking that I'd probably have to be taken away in an ambulance! Thankfully, that didn't happen. I'd suggest practicing your transitions this week, too. Good advice about the sleep, too.

2010-05-05 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Dineen Good Luck in your first tri this weekend!!  Ditto what others said about getting a good nights sleep a couple days before the race.  Chances are you are going to  be excited the night before the race.  I know I still have trouble falling/staying asleep the night before a race.  

2010-05-05 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Hello Manatees (particularly those in the Chicago area)-

My wife is a school teacher and she is trying to get her colleagues to sign up for the American Brain Tumor Association 5k at Soldier Field on May 22nd.  One of her teacher friends (who is a long-time runner) just had brain surgery last month to have a tumor removed.  She is already back and teaching again and will be running with us that day. 

Before my wife started a team, many of her colleagues said that they would run with us but now everyone is backing out!  She is very disappointed and frustrated.  And it is kind of sad for the lady with the brain tumor to see that her friends/colleagues are not running for her cause.

My wife is not a natural runner but she did her own version of a couch-to-5k program last year.  Before starting she could barely run a block without being winded but during the summer (2009) she ran in her 1st two 5ks! 

I am not asking for donations but if anyone wants to join her team (I am running with her) then her team name is "Sweaty Spartan Sprinters" (school mascot is a Spartan).  It is a $30 entry fee which most of it goes towards the American Brain Tumor Association. 

She is a great supporter during my races and in my training.  She has always commented on how friendly all of the other triathletes are. She did a Cancer 5k last year and the support/cheer sections were really small but with about a mile left in the run she heard a cowbell and it was being waived by a woman wearing a triathlete shirt.  She still believes that we are the friendliest and most supportive athletes out there! 

Ok I am done rambling now...sorry for the long-winded post

2010-05-05 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I wish I could be a fly on the wall at everyone's first tri.  It's so overwhelming and exciting and absolutely the best feeling in the world.  My husband and kids were waiting for me at the finish line and once I crossed they all hugged me and I burst into tears.  The only time I've felt stronger and more accomplished was after delivering my babies.  You're going to have such a great time Dineen!

Definitely get lots of sleep this week because the closer you get to the race the harder it will be.  For some reason I'm already having multiple race/training dreams a night and my first tri of the season isn't until the end of June.
2010-05-06 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2839304

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
blackledge - 2010-05-05 2:31 PM Hello Manatees (particularly those in the Chicago area)-

My wife is a school teacher and she is trying to get her colleagues to sign up for the American Brain Tumor Association 5k at Soldier Field on May 22nd.  One of her teacher friends (who is a long-time runner) just had brain surgery last month to have a tumor removed.  She is already back and teaching again and will be running with us that day. 

Before my wife started a team, many of her colleagues said that they would run with us but now everyone is backing out!  She is very disappointed and frustrated.  And it is kind of sad for the lady with the brain tumor to see that her friends/colleagues are not running for her cause.

My wife is not a natural runner but she did her own version of a couch-to-5k program last year.  Before starting she could barely run a block without being winded but during the summer (2009) she ran in her 1st two 5ks! 

I am not asking for donations but if anyone wants to join her team (I am running with her) then her team name is "Sweaty Spartan Sprinters" (school mascot is a Spartan).  It is a $30 entry fee which most of it goes towards the American Brain Tumor Association. 

She is a great supporter during my races and in my training.  She has always commented on how friendly all of the other triathletes are. She did a Cancer 5k last year and the support/cheer sections were really small but with about a mile left in the run she heard a cowbell and it was being waived by a woman wearing a triathlete shirt.  She still believes that we are the friendliest and most supportive athletes out there! 

Ryan, if I don't have anything on the calendar, I'll come do it with you guys...probably with my spawn in the baby jogger.  I'll let you know later today.  Cheers.  Q 
2010-05-06 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2839319

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-05-05 2:37 PM  

Definitely get lots of sleep this week because the closer you get to the race the harder it will be.  For some reason I'm already having multiple race/training dreams a night and my first tri of the season isn't until the end of June.

I am having these.  But they're nightmares...last one involved missing goggles which lead to missing the start...and in true dream fashion, it was all confused so I was searching for my goggles in my room but could see the swimmers coming towards me at the same time...makes no sense I know.  

I think I am having angst about my current pair which have started leaking.  I went and got a second pair of goggles the next day.  
2010-05-06 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Thanks everyone!  Ryan, I wish I were local and could support you guys in that race.  I feel bad for your wife's co-worker.  Hooray, Quincy for stepping up!

Feel like I have so much to do to be ready for this weekend, and this is just a piddly little sprint.  It doesn't help that my washing machine broke last Friday, and since we were on our way out of town for the weekend, couldn't get repair person in until yesterday, and it won't be fixed until tomorrow.  I broke down and paid someone $1.15 a pound to attack 40+ pounds of laundry and it's not even all of the laundry I had to do.  But at least my kids will have underwear tonight.  Hopefully.  So much packing and coordinating and supposed to be doing a full time job in between.  Ack!
2010-05-06 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2840759

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks Quincy!

2010-05-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2840759

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
quincyf - 2010-05-06 8:34 AM
blackledge - 2010-05-05 2:31 PM Hello Manatees (particularly those in the Chicago area)-

Ryan, if I don't have anything on the calendar, I'll come do it with you guys...probably with my spawn in the baby jogger.  I'll let you know later today.  Cheers.  Q 

I need to check with my husband but I think I can probably come down for the race.  No spawn for me though. 
2010-05-06 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I have a question for our running gurus.  Lately my run training has either been outside pushing the jogger or inside on the treadmill except for my long run each week which I get to do outside and alone.  My outside times pushing the jogger are improving significantly but my long run and treadmill runs aren't.

Should I be pushing harder on the treadmill and on my long run?  I know on the treadmill I'm paying way too much attention to my speed, time and heartrate and since I have to set the speed I'm probably erring on the side of too conservative.  With the long run I'm just afraid of pushing too hard and not being able to make the distance. 

Hubs thinks that with my cardio base and the amount of miles I put in he really thinks I should be training at 10 minute miles and racing between 8 and 9.  Any insight or advice would be appreciated.
2010-05-06 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2841669

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I am no expert, but my "What Would Yanti Say?" instincts tell me that for the long runs, just go at a comfortable, conversational pace and don't worry about being faster.  The "long slow distance" run is a proven training concept, and will help your endurance and speed at shorter distances.   I know what you mean about fearing not finishing at a longer pace.  Who wants to get stuck and winded a mile or more from home?

On the treadmill, I would say either continue to stay comfortable/conversational, or else beat off boredom by doing intervals.
2010-05-06 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Okay, thanks for all the convincing!  I officially signed up for the race.  I am excited that it is so close and at the park where I go every weekend in the summer!!  It is July 11, the weekend before we leave on vacation.  It should be a crazy weekend!  But fun!

Have an awesome time this weekend Dineen.  My first race was exciting, and scary, and fun.   You will have a blast.  I can't wait to hear about it.

My week of training has been a little crazy.  I have a church meeting tonight, so no workout after work.  I did get in a short run this morning, after the thunder and lightening stopped.  Rain I don't mind, but a storm is a bit much!  Tuesday I didn't do my bike ride because I went with my husband to decal a race car.  He does some graphic design work, mostly doing race cars.  Usually somebody else will actually put the wraps on the car, but we did this one.  It was actually fun, and, don't tell anyone, but I am glad that I did that instead of my work out!!!  This weekend is supposed to be cold and rainy, so I don't know that I will get it made up.

My longer runs are always at a slower pace.  That is the only way I think I could finish them!!  I don't worry about it, and always expected it to be that way.  But, it has definitely helped my pace on shorter runs.

Karen
2010-05-06 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2841643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
That would be awesome if you could come down for the race Allison.  We can have a mini-BT manatee get-together.  But if not no worries either and I appreciate the thought.  If you and/or Quincy can make it down let me know and I can give you directions on cheap parking if you want.  I actually might have some residential permits that I can give you for a free day of street parking near Soldier Field.

2010-05-06 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2841669

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Allison - I would not call myself a running guru but I will attempt to add some insight as well.
How far do you typically run on the treadmill? With the jogger? Long run?  Ok, I'm lazy but I will look at your logs and answer this for myself
Does your long run include hills that your jogger runs do not?
You'll be able to figure out which pace works best for you on your long runs.  It may take some time and some walking intervals at first but it will come . I agree that long runs will definitely help cut time off of your shorter distance runs though so keep doing them. 

Here is a link to a pacing thread....Scout gives very good running advice so I thought that some of this might pertain to your training Allison.
https://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=206536&posts=19&start=1

Edited by blackledge 2010-05-06 3:11 PM
2010-05-06 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Allison -- Again, not a running "guru" but here's what I'd look at. First, what are your goals? Are you training for a triathlon? If so, what distance? Are you training for a run? Again, what race/distance? Then, from there I'd look up a plan that gives you detailed training. There are some good ones here on BT.

Generally speaking for running, you do like Dineen said, long runs are at a slower conversational pace. You don't increase mileage by more than 10% each week,  do that for 2 weeks, then drop back down 10%, the repeat the cycle. The good plans figure all that out for you. One run is usually a tempo or faster run, with 10 minutes warmup, 10-20 minutes faster pace, 10 minute cool down. Again, depends on your fitness level. Do not attempt to do tempo runs until you can run a few miles at a time continously to prevent injury. The third run workout is usually some kind of track workout or intervals on the treadmill or early in training, sometimes hill repeats. It depends on your goals with the running. I've also read not to do "junk" miles. Meaning to always have a purpose with each run.

There's a Macmillan running calculator that will give you your paces based on a race time.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Also, check out

http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-238-0-0-0,00.html

Runner's world has some great articles on running.

My DH told me on the way home from my marathon on Sunday how he doesn't understand that I never run as fast in training as I do in a race. My long runs are 1 minute per mile slower, but my interval training is way faster. That helps with the leg turnover and building a quicker cadence.

I hope that helps you somewhat. Please let me know. I'm sure Yanti would have words of wisdoml. :-)

2010-05-07 8:06 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Hey Manatees!

Unfortunately, I'm still not back at it. I went to dance class last night and by the end of my modern class, my ankle had swollen to about 50% bigger than the other one. I also had pain in my achilles, which is new and troubling. I iced it, took some Advil, braced it, and stayed off it the rest of the night. It's feeling a bit better today and I kept it braced during camp this morning.

What I really need to do is take like 2 weeks off everything and let it heal, then rehab it and ease myself back into my current activity level. Of course, that would be like Chinese water torture.

I hope everyone's training is going well. I'm walking the Susan G Komen 5k tomorrow. I'd prefer to run it, but after last night, I know that's pushing fate.
2010-05-07 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2843195

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Sorry about your ankle, Emily. Might want to consider, just consider, staying off it completely and not walking the 5K...I'm just saying....

Saw this quote this morning and thought it was interesting:

"Why should I practice running slow? I already know how to run slow. I want to learn to run fast. Everyone said: 'You are a fool!' But when I first won the European Championship, they said: 'You are a genius!'"

Emil Zatopek on interval training. He won the 5000, 10,000, and the marathon at the 1952 Olympics

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60