BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-05 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3483442

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
acv - 2011-05-05 10:35 AM
acv - 2011-04-28 8:54 AM

Recovery Week!

So do any of you plan recovery weeks? I’m not on a set plan yet I’m just base building to get in shape for my 20 week plan which starts in about a month. I usually do a 3 week build 1 week recovery.

Judging by the way I’ve been feeling and the fact that this is my 4th week of building time & distance I think I’m due for a little recovery. I usually just drop the distance by 15-20% and try to add an extra rest day in. Then I pick up where I left off the week before.

So what do the rest of you do? I’m especially interested in people training for longer distances where the miles really do add up quick.

I just wanted to bring this up again. I've cut back a little this week and after my bike ride yesterday I realized I was really tired. Today in fact I slept in. I was going to try and get my run in today but I guess that will have to be tomorrow. I wasn't mentally committed to running this morning although I set my alarm clock for 5:00am. I have it barely audible so I don’t wake up my wife I must have shut it off and I didn’t wake up till 7:00. I have to say I feel pretty rested right now.

I had two other people mentioned that during a recovery week that they feel tired. It’s been a while since I did a “true” recovery week and I just wanted to see if others felt tired during a recovery week. And more importantly any tips on getting back up to speed the next week?

Don't sweat it, you will bounce back.  As AG atheletes, we are probably sleeping less than we should be in most situations, during recovery weeks I find that this is just more noticable.  I find that even during normal weeks, by Thursday I struggle to get out of bed in the morning more than earlier in the week. 

2011-05-05 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3484643

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-05-05 9:46 PM

Hello everyone..Thank You all for the inspires it keeps me going..Feeling good about my race next weekend,bike and run stronger than last year at this time however my swim is down been pushed for time and the ac joint seperation doesn't help matters,but will continue to move forward.. Got a short OWS in tonight but the water was still cool with no wetsuit..

Topic for group: How much if any do you taper the week before an event???

Depends on the race Tim.  There are races that are the focus of my season that I try and follow the plan as much as possible and taper as the plan dictates.  Others, like my HM this past weekend that I train through as it isn't a goal race.  The harder part to me is if the race is not an "A" race and I am using it as a supported training session, is to do it at the appropriate effort. 

The bigger problem, in my mind is when people reach taper time, they drop off too much.  Almost like a phew, training is over mentallity!  It is not a time to quit training, but a reduction in volume.  Some workouts are even more intense than during other times of training for certain workouts.  This is why it is not only important to follow your plans volume but also the intensity.
2011-05-05 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3484665

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-05-05 10:06 PM

Hi All,

So much going on in my life this week. We are under contract for a home and I keep receiving all these documents from the lender, title company, etc etc and it is making my head spin. So I am sorry I have not been as involved as I want to be. That will change though.

My run session with my coach went well. He videotaped me and when I saw the tape I said to him, "yep that is pretty much how I run". We spent a good amount of time working on my lean and pushing off from the back foot. He had me do some things to practice that and when he videotaped me at the end I did seem to be doing a bit better. He also suggested that I hold my arms more bent then I was and that seemed to make sense also. These things I need to work on seem manageble so that is my focus. It certainly  gives me something to focus on!

I need to catch up on the thread and will be more present here from now on.

A lot on your plate Kathleen, I am glad to hear that the feedback from your coach is simple and not trying to change too much. 

Remember, when you get stressed from all the house stuff, a good run or bike ride is a pretty valuable stress releiver!  No prescription required!
2011-05-05 10:26 PM
in reply to: #3484672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-05-05 9:09 PM

Recovery Week!

So do any of you plan recovery weeks? I’m not on a set plan yet I’m just base building to get in shape for my 20 week plan which starts in about a month. I usually do a 3 week build 1 week recovery.

Judging by the way I’ve been feeling and the fact that this is my 4th week of building time & distance I think I’m due for a little recovery. I usually just drop the distance by 15-20% and try to add an extra rest day in. Then I pick up where I left off the week before.

So what do the rest of you do? I’m especially interested in people training for longer distances where the miles really do add up quick.

I just wanted to bring this up again. I've cut back a little this week and after my bike ride yesterday I realized I was really tired. Today in fact I slept in. I was going to try and get my run in today but I guess that will have to be tomorrow. I wasn't mentally committed to running this morning although I set my alarm clock for 5:00am. I have it barely audible so I don’t wake up my wife I must have shut it off and I didn’t wake up till 7:00. I have to say I feel pretty rested right now.

I had two other people mentioned that during a recovery week that they feel tired. It’s been a while since I did a “true” recovery week and I just wanted to see if others felt tired during a recovery week. And more importantly any tips on getting back up to speed the next week?

Don't sweat it, you will bounce back.  As AG atheletes, we are probably sleeping less than we should be in most situations, during recovery weeks I find that this is just more noticable.  I find that even during normal weeks, by Thursday I struggle to get out of bed in the morning more than earlier in the week. 

True that.  My recovery week was last week.  Cut down on time and intensity but didn't stop.  Kept swimming.  Felt sluggish by Sunday, rest day monday and then hard intervals on Tuesday.  Thought I would fall flat.  I exceeded what the targets were.  You will bounce back stronger than ever.

And taper does depend on the distance, but even sprint races deserve a couple of rest days before hand.  If you want to put a bike on a trainer and spin easy with a few short VO2 intervals fine but keep it light.  The idea of taper is not only to rest, but to make you feel so ready to go that they have to hold you back.  Rest, drink, eat, repeat.

2011-05-05 10:28 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I like to inspire in the main forum, but I'll try to do more behind the scenes.  Trust me, I watch what you are doing and I am cheering for you all.
2011-05-06 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Happy Friday!

Would someone explain to me how to put our mentor group list (with the links to everyone's name) in my blog?  I see others have done that but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks!

2011-05-06 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3484681

User image

Pro
Houston
kenj - 2011-05-05 9:14 PM

Hello everyone..Thank You all for the inspires it keeps me going..Feeling good about my race next weekend,bike and run stronger than last year at this time however my swim is down been pushed for time and the ac joint seperation doesn't help matters,but will continue to move forward.. Got a short OWS in tonight but the water was still cool with no wetsuit..

Depends on the race Tim.  There are races that are the focus of my season that I try and follow the plan as much as possible and taper as the plan dictates.  Others, like my HM this past weekend that I train through as it isn't a goal race.  The harder part to me is if the race is not an "A" race and I am using it as a supported training session, is to do it at the appropriate effort. 

The bigger problem, in my mind is when people reach taper time, they drop off too much.  Almost like a phew, training is over mentallity!  It is not a time to quit training, but a reduction in volume.  Some workouts are even more intense than during other times of training for certain workouts.  This is why it is not only important to follow your plans volume but also the intensity.

I couldn't agree more. I remember when I was training for my HIM distance and was in the iron beginner forum and noticed so many folks doing NOTHING in the week leading to their HIM. Everybody has to do what is right for them but I think keeping moving is important. Obviously everything is decreased - time and intensity but running, biking and swimming the week of your event is a good thing.

At the beginning of the season my coach and I sit down and discuss my upcoming races and the plan for each of them. I have a sprint next weekend - B race, two relays with the family in June and July where I swim, both are basically C races, there will be no taper at all. My next A race is a sprint in August, then I have an Oly-B race in September and my HIM in November is an A race. I don't taper for anything but an A race. A races usually land on Sunday, I generally take Friday off and do something Saturday either OWS or a short run. I train every day except the Friday before. Again, less intensity and time but still training.

QOTD - What are your weekend plans?

Hopping on the trainer when the girls and I are done with school. Tonight we are meeting the prom date! Our oldest asked a girl to prom we have not met so this evening we are meeting her and her parents at a local restaurant.

Saturday our 8 year old daughter has a swim meet in the morning and I am hoping to get a swim or run in between races.

Sunday one of my best friends is doing her very first Tri - the same one I did 2 years ago. The 8 year old and I will be volunteering and husband and 7 year old will be cheering. We are letting the teenagers sleep in and keep an eye on the 4 year old. Then we will head home to pick them up and go somewhere to celebrate Mother's Day.

2011-05-06 1:41 PM

User image

Regular

Weekend plans:

Swim and run Saturday and a nice long ride Sunday and of course some family time with the mom

2011-05-06 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
I'm so guilty of the do nothing taper as I said above...I'm going to work on that...

Weekend plans.

Long ride tomorrow morning
Long run Sunday...hopefully getting the teenage boys to have a nice pancake breakfast waiting for me when I get home.
Need to fit in a long swim sometime too as well as the usual shopping and laundry and a visit to my Mom..
2011-05-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3484748

User image

Expert
IceManScott - 2011-05-05 11:26 PM
kenj - 2011-05-05 9:09 PM

Recovery Week!

True that.  My recovery week was last week.  Cut down on time and intensity but didn't stop.  Kept swimming.  Felt sluggish by Sunday, rest day monday and then hard intervals on Tuesday.  Thought I would fall flat.  I exceeded what the targets were.  You will bounce back stronger than ever.

And taper does depend on the distance, but even sprint races deserve a couple of rest days before hand.  If you want to put a bike on a trainer and spin easy with a few short VO2 intervals fine but keep it light.  The idea of taper is not only to rest, but to make you feel so ready to go that they have to hold you back.  Rest, drink, eat, repeat.

I definitely agree with  Scott. I always feel a little tired and sluggish during a recovery week, get a little worried, and then come back stronger the following week.

Yes, taper does depend on the distance, but I have a pretty standard routine. Cut back the mileage, but do some intervals on one of my rides. On Thursday (for a Sunday race) I do a short tempo run: 1 mile WU, 2 or 3 miles at HM pace, 1 mile cool down. Friday I take off completely, and then on Saturday 20  minutes on the bike but very easy. Mostly really to check the bike, run through all the gears, and make sure the race wheels are OK. If I have time I will also run and swim for 10 minutes each, but very slow and easy. The whole week I rest as much as I can and make sure to stay well hydrated.

My plans for the weekend are an 8 mile run on Saturday with as many hills as possible, and if I start early enough, a short swim. I work Saturdays, so my time is limited. Sunday 30-40 miles on the bike, also as hilly as possible. Then we will go to visit my MIL.

Happy Mother's day to all the moms, and have a great weekend, everybody!

Anthony

2011-05-06 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Weekend plans - packing boxes and moving them to storage shed - Happy Mother's day to me. Cry

Hopefully will get at least 1 workout in, not sure what.

2011-05-06 3:57 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

This weekend:

today: go home.  Eat grilled chicken, aspargus and couscous.  Drink an Arrogant Bastard.  (22 oz. = 343 calories)

Tomorrow: Work with Hubby in the yard.  Tree to chop up, lawn to mow, house to powerwash, garden to weed, mulch to put down... the list goes on (all while keeping an eye on my 2 yr old).  I am counting all that as exercise.

Sunday: I think I am going to try to squeeze in a swim... or at least a run.  Then off to the in-laws, where I SWEAR I won't over-eat.

2011-05-06 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Last year I would just reduce the volume for my taper.. I was just curious what others do??

Weekend Plans:

5k race in the morning

Get in a long bike ride..

Celebrate Mother's Day on Sunday....

2011-05-06 6:19 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Wow! A lots of good conversation going on here today!  No internet for me, but I am home now which feels good!

The wife has gone to Florida for a long weekend with her parents so it is just me and an annoying cat.  So tomorrow will be a run and a ride with some friends.  Probably in the 40 - 45 mile range.  Some spring clean up work after that. 

Sunday a medium/long run and some more clean up then a late dinner for Mothers day at my sisters. 

Good conversations on taper, there is no one size fits all!

2011-05-06 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3485984

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-05-06 5:01 PM

Last year I would just reduce the volume for my taper.. I was just curious what others do??

Weekend Plans:

5k race in the morning

Get in a long bike ride..

Celebrate Mother's Day on Sunday....

Have fun and race well for your 5K!!
2011-05-06 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3485206

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-05-06 10:34 AM
kenj - 2011-05-05 9:14 PM

I couldn't agree more. I remember when I was training for my HIM distance and was in the iron beginner forum and noticed so many folks doing NOTHING in the week leading to their HIM. Everybody has to do what is right for them but I think keeping moving is important. Obviously everything is decreased - time and intensity but running, biking and swimming the week of your event is a good thing.

At the beginning of the season my coach and I sit down and discuss my upcoming races and the plan for each of them. I have a sprint next weekend - B race, two relays with the family in June and July where I swim, both are basically C races, there will be no taper at all. My next A race is a sprint in August, then I have an Oly-B race in September and my HIM in November is an A race. I don't taper for anything but an A race. A races usually land on Sunday, I generally take Friday off and do something Saturday either OWS or a short run. I train every day except the Friday before. Again, less intensity and time but still training.

QOTD - What are your weekend plans?

Hopping on the trainer when the girls and I are done with school. Tonight we are meeting the prom date! Our oldest asked a girl to prom we have not met so this evening we are meeting her and her parents at a local restaurant.

Saturday our 8 year old daughter has a swim meet in the morning and I am hoping to get a swim or run in between races.

Sunday one of my best friends is doing her very first Tri - the same one I did 2 years ago. The 8 year old and I will be volunteering and husband and 7 year old will be cheering. We are letting the teenagers sleep in and keep an eye on the 4 year old. Then we will head home to pick them up and go somewhere to celebrate Mother's Day.

Good luck to your friend!!  Nice of you and your family to get involved and volunteer!!

2011-05-07 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

Got a run in this morning.  Dear daughter (10 yo) is having a playdate here this afternoon, might be a good time for bike ride, if weather brightens up...cloudy showers now!

Hopefully long run tomorrow!

Hope everyone else has a good weekend!

2011-05-07 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Finally wrote up my RR from Sunday's HM.

For those interested:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=251169

Have a happy Saturday!

2011-05-07 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Had a great race this morning missed third overall by 1:00 minute.. 5K time 24:25... Loading up bike going for last long ride before my first tri race of the season next weekend..can't wait...Run times have improved greatly over the past year hope to keep it up...

Hope everyone has a great weekend..

2011-05-07 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3486664

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-05-07 12:32 PM

Had a great race this morning missed third overall by 1:00 minute.. 5K time 24:25... Loading up bike going for last long ride before my first tri race of the season next weekend..can't wait...Run times have improved greatly over the past year hope to keep it up...

Hope everyone has a great weekend..

Congrats on a great race!!

Enjoy the ride!  I enjoyed mine, other than the brief thunderstorm!
2011-05-07 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3486580

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-07 10:17 AM

Finally wrote up my RR from Sunday's HM.

For those interested:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=251169

Have a happy Saturday!

Looking forward to reading it!

2011-05-07 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3486664

User image

Expert
Canada
shake-n-bake - 2011-05-07 1:32 PM

Had a great race this morning missed third overall by 1:00 minute.. 5K time 24:25... 

That is a fantastic time, Congrats!!

2011-05-07 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Bike: 2 hours.  Did 4 X 30 secs @ 140%, 4 X 1 min @ 130% and 4 X 90 secs @ 120%, then did 1 X 30 @ 85%. 

I slayed the running course before that.  One of my running club mentors paced me.  Asked me what I wanted to do.  9:15 I said.  We did a bit better.  Official said 9:13 for 1:08 for the 7.54 miles.   My first 5K was a pr under 27.  Great for me.  Lighter and faster.   Great day of workouts
2011-05-07 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3486982

User image

Veteran
Georgia

IceManScott - 2011-05-07 6:03 PM Bike: 2 hours.  Did 4 X 30 secs @ 140%, 4 X 1 min @ 130% and 4 X 90 secs @ 120%, then did 1 X 30 @ 85%. 

I slayed the running course before that.  One of my running club mentors paced me.  Asked me what I wanted to do.  9:15 I said.  We did a bit better.  Official said 9:13 for 1:08 for the 7.54 miles.   My first 5K was a pr under 27.  Great for me.  Lighter and faster.   Great day of workouts

Great Job Iceman..Keep up the great work...

2011-05-07 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Went for a bike ride with a couple of friends..Keeped having to wait for them so reset the watch after the first 25 miles 18.70 average.. We agreed to meet back at the cars The next 25 miles I had a 20.4 average....Got a good ride in,great weather..Going to get some dinner with the family...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72