BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-05-22 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3512241

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-22 10:13 AM I made it through a whole weekend without an almost drowning and no bike crashes.  Of course, I wasn't racing but did do a hard run/bike brick.  My A race is in 2 weeks.  Think I"m getting shin splints.  Besides ice, which I am really bad at doing (it's cold you know!), any advice?

Shin splints -- yes ice and also massage the muscles on either side of the shin bone. Also flexing and pointing the foot/toes will help gently stretch your shins.

Back in the old days we used to put athletic tape around our calves in wide strips. Kind of looks like striped socks and makes for a very funky tan if you're in the sun!

2011-05-24 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

"You know you are a triathlete when you have an ice pack wrapped around your leg while at lunch at work."  LOL

I dragged myself yesterday running outside. Argh.  Not running outside anymore for a while anyway.  Inside of the left leg hurting this morning even though I was going at the speed of molasses.  First time I've experienced some 'weird' pain after running.  Will hit the bike and maybe pool tonight.  Major penitence weekend coming up to catch up with swimming LOL

How's everyone else doing? 

2011-05-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3515935

Charlotte, North Carolina
Do you typically run more on treadmills? I always feel more pain after running outside! Headaches, achy knees, sunburn aghhh. I guess that's what I get for living in texas
2011-05-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3512241

User image

Melon Presser

GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-23 2:13 AM I made it through a whole weekend without an almost drowning and no bike crashes.  Of course, I wasn't racing but did do a hard run/bike brick.  My A race is in 2 weeks.  Think I"m getting shin splints.  Besides ice, which I am really bad at doing (it's cold you know!), any advice?

At two weeks out, the hay is in the barn. You can't build any run fitness, just maintain, so I'd back way off the running. Very easy, keep running 3x/wk (is that what you're currently doing)? but really dial down the speed and volume.

Anything else that helps--ice, compression, stretching your calves--go nuts.

Shin splints are symptoms of overuse.

2011-05-24 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3512226

User image

Melon Presser
cggale - 2011-05-23 1:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I did a 42 mile ride today and I actually enjoyed myself.  I put aside the pressure of speed and time and just rode.  I was by myself, so I think that helped.  I'm a little tired, as to be expected, but am proud that I put in my miles.  I have a waaaays to go before I'm ready to tackle the HIM, but If I'm consistent, I can do it without a lot of suffering.  

That and all the above ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! And true. 40+ and you are really in the ballpark. Just need to keep running around the bases.

My husband suggested I would benefit from a spin class once a week to change things up and to have a ride that is about intensity.  I've taken plenty of spin classes, but am NOT consistent with them.  Sooo I'm going to put that on my agenda as one of my bike rides every week.

Sounds like a great idea! Just remember to benefit from indoor cycling classes--don't do anything you wouldn't do on a road bike. Otherwise, it's neither specific nor useful training for your HIM.
2011-05-24 11:24 AM

Charlotte, North Carolina
Do I need to wear a wetsuit in a 400m swim if the water is 67 degrees? I've never trained in one and I don't wanna panic anymore than I already do..

2011-05-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3516022

User image

Melon Presser

deliriousxix - 2011-05-25 1:24 AM Do I need to wear a wetsuit in a 400m swim if the water is 67 degrees? I've never trained in one and I don't wanna panic anymore than I already do..

Do you NEED to wear one? Not at all. If you do have one, though, I'd definitely use it. Use it in the pool a couple times before race day if you can ... just rinse super super well after.

2011-05-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3515981

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
TriAya - 2011-05-24 11:06 AM
cggale - 2011-05-23 1:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I did a 42 mile ride today and I actually enjoyed myself.  I put aside the pressure of speed and time and just rode.  I was by myself, so I think that helped.  I'm a little tired, as to be expected, but am proud that I put in my miles.  I have a waaaays to go before I'm ready to tackle the HIM, but If I'm consistent, I can do it without a lot of suffering.  

That and all the above ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! And true. 40+ and you are really in the ballpark. Just need to keep running around the bases.

My husband suggested I would benefit from a spin class once a week to change things up and to have a ride that is about intensity.  I've taken plenty of spin classes, but am NOT consistent with them.  Sooo I'm going to put that on my agenda as one of my bike rides every week.

Sounds like a great idea! Just remember to benefit from indoor cycling classes--don't do anything you wouldn't do on a road bike. Otherwise, it's neither specific nor useful training for your HIM.

You mean I can't do this?.......LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx9SIyFMfcY&feature=player_embedded

2011-05-24 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3515948

User image

Veteran

deliriousxix - 2011-05-24 11:55 AM Do you typically run more on treadmills? I always feel more pain after running outside! Headaches, achy knees, sunburn aghhh. I guess that's what I get for living in texas

I started this year to do so.  Last year (1st year running) I did it all outside.  I was 15# lighter which of course helped. LOL  This year I started in the dreadmill but I wanted to mix things up.  But after this weird pain I guess I'm sticking with the dreadmill. Still not sure what's up.  Ran a 5k 2 wks ago in the same route with no problems.  This business of being 40something can tri-ying is too much sometimes! LOL

2011-05-24 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran

HAHAHAHA!  OMG!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!  That video is INSANE!!! but it looks like an easy way to hurt the knee though.

2011-05-25 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3516794

User image

Melon Presser
trainforacure - 2011-05-25 7:29 AM

deliriousxix - 2011-05-24 11:55 AM Do you typically run more on treadmills? I always feel more pain after running outside! Headaches, achy knees, sunburn aghhh. I guess that's what I get for living in texas

I started this year to do so.  Last year (1st year running) I did it all outside.  I was 15# lighter which of course helped. LOL  This year I started in the dreadmill but I wanted to mix things up.  But after this weird pain I guess I'm sticking with the dreadmill. Still not sure what's up.  Ran a 5k 2 wks ago in the same route with no problems.  This business of being 40something can tri-ying is too much sometimes! LOL

AAAAAAARGH don't tell me that

I heart you big-time {{{{MELON PRESS}}}}. I predict you're going to stay young forever anyway because you simply insist on it.

2011-05-25 2:16 PM

User image

Seattle

So...I have a question. I am reeeeaaaally itching to run a marathon. There is one in November that I am going to train for and I am going to train to finish it in 3:40. I would REALLY like to do a marathon before that just to see what it is like to run the full distance. There is one at the end of June that I would like to do. I would have no time goals and if I needed to walk for some reason, I would have no problem doing so. Do you guys think this is a bad idea?

A little info about myself: I have a pretty strong foundation in running. I completed a half marathon a few weeks ago in 1:52 ish and it was VERY hilly (approx 1000 ft elevation gain) I've run 20 miles before when I was less fit (since then I have shed about 15 lbs.) My weekly miles seem to be around 20 but that is in addition to my other triathlon training. I know the biking and swimming don't translate into running miles but I think they have an impact on my fitness.  I haven't had any running injuries to date.

So Manatees, what do you think?

2011-05-25 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3518530

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-05-26 4:16 AM

So...I have a question. I am reeeeaaaally itching to run a marathon. There is one in November that I am going to train for and I am going to train to finish it in 3:40. I would REALLY like to do a marathon before that just to see what it is like to run the full distance. There is one at the end of June that I would like to do. I would have no time goals and if I needed to walk for some reason, I would have no problem doing so. Do you guys think this is a bad idea?

A little info about myself: I have a pretty strong foundation in running. I completed a half marathon a few weeks ago in 1:52 ish and it was VERY hilly (approx 1000 ft elevation gain) I've run 20 miles before when I was less fit (since then I have shed about 15 lbs.) My weekly miles seem to be around 20 but that is in addition to my other triathlon training. I know the biking and swimming don't translate into running miles but I think they have an impact on my fitness.  I haven't had any running injuries to date.

I'm going to against all logic and tradition and say GO FOR IT.

SLOWLY. In fact, I'd advocate doing at least 2min/mi slower than your LSD pace.

I'd also advocate STARTING on a run:walk ratio. If at say, 16 mi or so, you're feeling fresh as a daisy, by all means run the rest.

I would NOT change anything about your current run training (with a month to go), except to not ramp up at all two weeks before and run only to maintain.

2011-05-25 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3518649

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2011-05-25 2:57 PM
Asalzwed - 2011-05-26 4:16 AM

I'm going to against all logic and tradition and say GO FOR IT.

SLOWLY. In fact, I'd advocate doing at least 2min/mi slower than your LSD pace.

I'd also advocate STARTING on a run:walk ratio. If at say, 16 mi or so, you're feeling fresh as a daisy, by all means run the rest.

I would NOT change anything about your current run training (with a month to go), except to not ramp up at all two weeks before and run only to maintain.

I like your style : )

2011-05-25 3:40 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Asalzwed - 2011-05-25 2:16 PM

I would say go for it too but......

Stay focused that this is only for the experience to see what a marathon feels like.  Sometimes we go into a race and think that this is only for training purposes but than the atmosphere gets the adrenaline going and you end up going harder than you should.  26 miles is a long way.  I did one last year and a handful of half marathons and the difference is very large!  Don't hurt yourself. 

You have a great base of overall fitness, so that will help a little.  Your run volume is on the low side to tackle a marathon, but you know this.  You have time to slowly build up to a 10 or 11 mile run before the marathon, but I'm with Yanti, do not try and tackle runs longer than this.  This is a recipe for injury and that is the last thing you want for yourself.

Lastly, accomplishing a marathon is an exiting and fun experience.  I did one last November and will do one again this November.  Have fun if you decide to do this, but more importantly, be safe and smart about it. 

2011-05-25 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3518750

User image

Seattle
cggale - 2011-05-25 3:40 PM

Stay focused that this is only for the experience to see what a marathon feels like.  Sometimes we go into a race and think that this is only for training purposes but than the atmosphere gets the adrenaline going and you end up going harder than you should.  26 miles is a long way.  I did one last year and a handful of half marathons and the difference is very large!  Don't hurt yourself. 

You have a great base of overall fitness, so that will help a little.  Your run volume is on the low side to tackle a marathon, but you know this.  You have time to slowly build up to a 10 or 11 mile run before the marathon, but I'm with Yanti, do not try and tackle runs longer than this.  This is a recipe for injury and that is the last thing you want for yourself.

Lastly, accomplishing a marathon is an exiting and fun experience.  I did one last November and will do one again this November.  Have fun if you decide to do this, but more importantly, be safe and smart about it. 

This is great advice, I 100% understand and agree with what you are saying.  I then ask you this: Do you think it's better that I get out there and feel the distance (taking all the advice and going slowly) or just training hard for a full in November and trying to make my time goal without having experienced the distance?

2011-05-25 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3518256

User image

Veteran
TriAya - 2011-05-25 1:33 PM
trainforacure - 2011-05-25 7:29 AM

AAAAAAARGH don't tell me that

I heart you big-time {{{{MELON PRESS}}}}. I predict you're going to stay young forever anyway because you simply insist on it.

LOL! you betcha! I'll be in denial of getting old until the end

2011-05-25 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3518917

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-05-26 7:12 AM

This is great advice, I 100% understand and agree with what you are saying.  I then ask you this: Do you think it's better that I get out there and feel the distance (taking all the advice and going slowly) or just training hard for a full in November and trying to make my time goal without having experienced the distance?

^^^^^^^^^

I know you weren't asking me, specifically, but unless you're doing one of the rare (and these are almost always for beginners, oddly enough) plans that calls for a near-marathon run before the marathon, you are much better off training well and lots for the full.

But if you're just dying to do a marathon for the experience (not with what's best for your November mary in mind, and very much not what's best for tri training), and/or other compelling reasons (like dressing as Elvis and breaking a world record) ... most people, and definitely most people on this board, could WALK a marathon tomorrow, and while the recovery would suck, probably with no lasting ill effects.

2011-05-25 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3518939

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2011-05-25 5:30 PM
Asalzwed - 2011-05-26 7:12 AM

^^^^^^^^^

I know you weren't asking me, specifically, but unless you're doing one of the rare (and these are almost always for beginners, oddly enough) plans that calls for a near-marathon run before the marathon, you are much better off training well and lots for the full.

But if you're just dying to do a marathon for the experience (not with what's best for your November mary in mind, and very much not what's best for tri training), and/or other compelling reasons (like dressing as Elvis and breaking a world record) ... most people, and definitely most people on this board, could WALK a marathon tomorrow, and while the recovery would suck, probably with no lasting ill effects.

So, what I am really getting from this is that I need to dress as Elvis and I'm set Tongue out

Thank you for the response, I have something to ponder over for the next few days.

2011-05-25 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3518917

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Asalzwed - 2011-05-25 3:12 PM

I'm going to chime in here. I understand wanting to "know" the unknown as far as what the distance will feel like. A full mary is NOT like 2 1/2's. If you must show yourself what it will be like and do it and can hold back and not push -- doing the run/walk thing like Yanti said, then okay. But, if you're a runner,you're going to have a really hard time holding back in the marathon and then you're going to need a fair amount of recovery afterwards. I think you could still ramp up to do a full afterwards though.  Have you heard of the FIRST plan? It utilizes swimming and biking as recovery and cross-training. It's subtitle is Run Less, Run Faster. It's from the guys at Fordham University.

Let us know what you decide.
2011-05-26 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Hey Peeps!  Been MIA for awhile with kiddos illnesses and some life issues in general.  So, I'm probably going to be easing off of tri-specific training for a couple months.  I'm starting the Body for Life program up again on Monday.  I did this back in my early 20's with great results.  I really want to get some of this weight off, and gain some muscle strength.  I'll probably be fitting in some swims, bikes, and definitely runs in there somewhere, but I don't think I'll be ready for the Tri I was thinking about in July, so I'm just going to hold off for the one in November.  But I'll definitely be checking in here, and logging my workouts still -- and encouraging everyone else! 

2011-05-26 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3520290

User image

Melon Presser

crystalashworth - 2011-05-27 3:11 AM Hey Peeps!  Been MIA for awhile with kiddos illnesses and some life issues in general.  So, I'm probably going to be easing off of tri-specific training for a couple months.  I'm starting the Body for Life program up again on Monday.  I did this back in my early 20's with great results.  I really want to get some of this weight off, and gain some muscle strength.  I'll probably be fitting in some swims, bikes, and definitely runs in there somewhere, but I don't think I'll be ready for the Tri I was thinking about in July, so I'm just going to hold off for the one in November.  But I'll definitely be checking in here, and logging my workouts still -- and encouraging everyone else! 

Don't leave meeeeeeee what, you up to 12 kids now or something?

Definitely hang out ... I've been finding out that an enormous proportion of "tri" actually has nothing to do with triathlon. BTW there are a bunch of people on this board who have never done a tri, or done one once and not again.

As for me ... really heavy last 5-6 weeks mostly in Jakarta ... with pneumonia ... and now back in Bali I've put in a murderous couple days of work.

So tomorrow I'm running away to a nearly-deserted, breathtaking tropical island until Tuesday. Stay tuned.

2011-05-26 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Asalzwed - 2011-05-25 3:16 PM

I am reeeeaaaally itching to run a marathon.

"Dear Goddess of the Manatees of the Seas---

Hear my prayer. 

Please make me itch like this;

just like my sister manatee. 

Flap, flap, flap. 

Run, run, run.

Thank you."

2011-05-26 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3520290

User image

Veteran

crystalashworth - 2011-05-26 2:11 PM Hey Peeps!  Been MIA for awhile with kiddos illnesses and some life issues in general.  So, I'm probably going to be easing off of tri-specific training for a couple months.  I'm starting the Body for Life program up again on Monday.  I did this back in my early 20's with great results.  I really want to get some of this weight off, and gain some muscle strength.  I'll probably be fitting in some swims, bikes, and definitely runs in there somewhere, but I don't think I'll be ready for the Tri I was thinking about in July, so I'm just going to hold off for the one in November.  But I'll definitely be checking in here, and logging my workouts still -- and encouraging everyone else! 

Not possible.  Once a tri manatee, always a tri girl.  We're a cult, have you not noticed LOL?

Good luck with BFL.  I did it too in my 30's to great results.  I was thinner too so it was easier Laughing

2011-05-26 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3520702

User image

Melon Presser
trainforacure - 2011-05-27 5:41 AM
Asalzwed - 2011-05-25 3:16 PM

I am reeeeaaaally itching to run a marathon.

"Dear Goddess of the Manatees of the Seas---

Hear my prayer. 

Please make me itch like this;

just like my sister manatee. 

Flap, flap, flap. 

Run, run, run.

Thank you."

You are like Slowtwitch in that nearly every single post of yours makes me scream with laughter and learn something new.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43