BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3514855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Yes, in a short and sweet sense, you cramp because your muscles aren't trained to handle the stress you're putting on them.  If you've never trained at race intensity or for race duration, you may not know if your muscles can handle it.  It happens a lot on first bricks or long runs if you're pushing too long too soon.  It happens specifically to the muscle(s) you are over stressing (if sodium loss was causing it, theoretically every muscle in your body would cramp, but that doesn't happen - it's just the one you're working hardest).

I cramped as I moved to longer distances (my first Oly and mid light "50" I had major quad cramps for the run).  more training (and better training) solved that and I've honestly never cramped in a workout or race for the past 2 years without adding any electrolyte supplements (including during the 100 degree humid summer days in MD).  If you're cramping you solve it by simply increasing duration/intensity slower because something is over stressing your muscles.

Again, this is my opinion on the matter after doing a lot of research and reading about it.  This topic is touchy and you'll find plenty of people who swear by supplements and won't train/race without them.  I'm not saying their wrong, I'm just saying this is what I think happens to me and a lot of triathletes.

I was really hoping taking a pill would help.  My muscles not being able to handle an oly distance tri is a little depressing.  But, to your point, I haven't trained at race intensity.  All my bricks have been bike/easy run.  Sounds like bike/run more at race pace would be helpful.  Thanks.  I'll give it a try.

2011-05-23 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Matt, what a great race!! Congrats!!

A little off topic, but I need some reassurance here, or something..

On the news today they had a story about a woman who was running by herself on some trails. She was nearly sexually assaulted, but was able to get away with minor bruises and cuts.

Why is this significant?? This is the same trail I take my daughter on and jog, by myself. I also ride the same trail. I've never felt uncomfortable there, because there are always several people around. that is not to say the thought has never crossed my mind that someone could be hiding behind trees, and I'm always very aware of my surroundings.

Now I'm not sure if I want to go back, at least until I know this guy is caught (which as of right now, they don't even have a description of him). I would never knowingly put my child in danger like that.

Any suggestions? I really want to avoid going back on the streets through the neighborhood. The route I was taking has a lot of blind spots and turns where I can't see cars coming, which means they can't see me. Also, with out fail, every time I go running it seems like the mowers are out and it's miserable running through dirt and grass floating in the air.

This is really frustrating, and just adds to my mile long list of reasons why I hate Houston!!

2011-05-23 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3514930

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-05-23 8:53 PM

On the news today they had a story about a woman who was running by herself on some trails. She was nearly sexually assaulted, but was able to get away with minor bruises and cuts.

Why is this significant?? This is the same trail I take my daughter on and jog, by myself. I also ride the same trail. I've never felt uncomfortable there, because there are always several people around. that is not to say the thought has never crossed my mind that someone could be hiding behind trees, and I'm always very aware of my surroundings.

Now I'm not sure if I want to go back, at least until I know this guy is caught (which as of right now, they don't even have a description of him). I would never knowingly put my child in danger like that.

Any suggestions? I really want to avoid going back on the streets through the neighborhood. The route I was taking has a lot of blind spots and turns where I can't see cars coming, which means they can't see me. Also, with out fail, every time I go running it seems like the mowers are out and it's miserable running through dirt and grass floating in the air.

This is really frustrating, and just adds to my mile long list of reasons why I hate Houston!!

That is really scary.  Do you have anyone you can run with? Can you drive somewhere to run? It is frustrating, but I would say it's better to be safe.

Christy

2011-05-23 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3514951

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-05-23 9:06 PM

That is really scary.  Do you have anyone you can run with? Can you drive somewhere to run? It is frustrating, but I would say it's better to be safe.

Christy

Not really. Some of the mom's from playgroup get together and run on Wed/Fri, and I used to go with them, but they are all much faster at running than I am, and end up leaving me behind by myself. So I dropped from the group and went to the trails where I thought I felt safer! Meaning, no cars, and more people in sight. The only other option I 'may' have is to join the running group at the Y, but it becomes an issue with my daughter. They often do runs off-site (at a school) and I can't leave my daughter at the childwatch if I'm not on site. 90% of the time, my husband gets home way later than 6:30 from work.

Kind of a downfall of issues here!

2011-05-23 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3514844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-05-23 8:02 PM Matt-sorry to hear of the cyclist's death.  Its always a bit scary.  In a local duathlon 2 weeks ago there were 3 cyclists injured at an intersection where there was confusion between a police office controlling the intersection and a driver.  Nothing too serious but something to think about... You had a great race and sounds like you hung in with some top competitors.  A good start to your season..keep it up.

Christy-improving cycling speed.  Thats a good topic and I am certainly not an expert but I have seen my greatest gains over the last 6-8 months.  You really can't beat time in the saddle.  This calendar year I have made an effort to get in at least 5 hours a week on the bike.  Most months I have been over 400 miles with 500 last month. Having a plan helps and right now I'm kind of winging it but during most weeks I will do 1-2 easy recovery rides of 50 minutes to an hour, 2 interval workouts of an hour to hour twenty minutes and a long workout of 2-2.5 hours with some long intervals.  

With cycling your body can handle more intense workouts and recover quickly.  There is a popular cycling plan by "Jorge" here on BT that many folks use over the winter to increase cycling speed/power.  I have mentioned the swim workouts on www.tripower.com before but Mike Plumb also posts 3 cycling workouts each week.  Each is about an hour and has a variety of intervals.  Do those and add a longer 4th endurance ride and you have a pretty good plan.  My basic thought on cycling workouts, other than the recovery rides, is to "always be working".  By that I mean I try to do as much cycling in Z3 and above as possible.  I don't do alot of Z5 intervals but  feel there is alot to be gained with Z3 and Z4 intervals.  I use a powertap but you can adjust plans to HR or RPE.  I have the luxury of more time since my kids are now in HS but if I were looking at 3-4 hours a week I would do 3 interval workouts.

Another option may be getting some Spinerval DVDS and incorporating those into your workouts.  Just make sure you are working hard when you need to be and taking it easy on easy days.  I do all my workouts during the week on the trainer and that makes it easy to do hard workouts without worrying about traffic/weather.  

For me cycling has been the "low hanging fruit" and I have been able to improve a good bit through added time/miles.

Joe is a strong cyclist and may have some suggestions.  Anyone else??   

Randy

Thanks Randy.  I have a Spinerval dvd somewhere.  I should find it.  I haven't done many interval workouts.  I mostly just ride at the same pace for what every time/distance my plan calls for.   I think I might take out one of my swim workouts and add a bike.  I will add in some intervals too.

Christy

2011-05-23 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3514969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-05-23 9:17 PM
cbrookhart - 2011-05-23 9:06 PM

Christy

Not really. Some of the mom's from playgroup get together and run on Wed/Fri, and I used to go with them, but they are all much faster at running than I am, and end up leaving me behind by myself. So I dropped from the group and went to the trails where I thought I felt safer! Meaning, no cars, and more people in sight. The only other option I 'may' have is to join the running group at the Y, but it becomes an issue with my daughter. They often do runs off-site (at a school) and I can't leave my daughter at the childwatch if I'm not on site. 90% of the time, my husband gets home way later than 6:30 from work.

Kind of a downfall of issues here!

I do a most of my runs on the treadmill at the gym because that's my only option. My son hates the jogging stroller an my husband is never home when the sun is up.  It's not ideal, but it's all I have.  Do you belong to the y? Can you run there?

2011-05-23 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Karla, I agree with Christy that it's better to be safe. If you have to treadmill for a while until they catch the guy, do it. We have a mugger in Oak Park that's been grabbing women (5 attacks so far) at night on my run route. Sad to say, I've had to totally avoid that route for about 1 month now. I hope they catch him, but it's really a big wake up call to stay safe on the road. I don't run with any $$ on me, but my parents really want me to start carrying mace whenever I run now. It's so depressing. 

Matt - Awesome report!!

Joe/Randy - I am intrigued by the run approach. Plan to keep in my notes for future run efforts.

All - you guys are making me kind of worried about nutrition for race day. I haven't had really any nutrition issues during the course of my training yet, but I am not doing anything like what race day will bring. Today was my longest swim so far, and when I got out of the water I was thinking that I don't know how I will manage a bike and a run after what will likely be a 40 minute swim (then again, I got out of the water at 10 p.m. on a Monday after a long weekend). So to that end, when do you start realizing that you need to use gels, ensure, etc.? And, when should I start incorporating BRICK workouts? I don't think I did a ton of them leading up to my sprint tri. (Oly tri is July 16) Thanks for your feedback!

2011-05-24 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3515130

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-05-23 11:00 PM

All - you guys are making me kind of worried about nutrition for race day. I haven't had really any nutrition issues during the course of my training yet, but I am not doing anything like what race day will bring. Today was my longest swim so far, and when I got out of the water I was thinking that I don't know how I will manage a bike and a run after what will likely be a 40 minute swim (then again, I got out of the water at 10 p.m. on a Monday after a long weekend). So to that end, when do you start realizing that you need to use gels, ensure, etc.? And, when should I start incorporating BRICK workouts? I don't think I did a ton of them leading up to my sprint tri. (Oly tri is July 16) Thanks for your feedback!

For my oly last week I had a bottle of water and sports drink (Perpetuem) on the bike.  I drank about 3/4 of both.  I also had 2 gu chomps about 15 min in then again at 45 min and around 1:25 (I think).  I drank a little water at transition and had 2 gu chomps right before the first water station on the run.  Then I had some water at every aid station. Last year I had a sports drink and water on the bike and 1 gu gel and that was it for the bike and run (except water on the run) and I felt fine.  I think I over did it this year just to practice for my next race.   You have plenty of time to figure it out.  You don't need to do too much.  What are you eating/drinking on your rides? As for the ensure, I've never tried it.  I have been just eating a small breakfast a couple hours before the race (or long workout) starts.  That seems to be ok with my stomach.

Are you following a plan?  I would think it would have bricks in there soon.

As far as the mace goes, I've heard to use wasp spray because it sprays a lot farther.  I haven't tried it.  I hate running with something in my hand and I haven't figured out where else I could keep it. 

Christy

2011-05-24 6:59 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

slornow - 2011-05-23 9:02 PM Matt-sorry to hear of the cyclist's death.  Its always a bit scary.  In a local duathlon 2 weeks ago there were 3 cyclists injured at an intersection where there was confusion between a police office controlling the intersection and a driver.  Nothing too serious but something to think about... You had a great race and sounds like you hung in with some top competitors.  A good start to your season..keep it up.

Christy-improving cycling speed.  Thats a good topic and I am certainly not an expert but I have seen my greatest gains over the last 6-8 months.  You really can't beat time in the saddle.  This calendar year I have made an effort to get in at least 5 hours a week on the bike.  Most months I have been over 400 miles with 500 last month. Having a plan helps and right now I'm kind of winging it but during most weeks I will do 1-2 easy recovery rides of 50 minutes to an hour, 2 interval workouts of an hour to hour twenty minutes and a long workout of 2-2.5 hours with some long intervals.  

With cycling your body can handle more intense workouts and recover quickly.  There is a popular cycling plan by "Jorge" here on BT that many folks use over the winter to increase cycling speed/power.  I have mentioned the swim workouts on www.tripower.com before but Mike Plumb also posts 3 cycling workouts each week.  Each is about an hour and has a variety of intervals.  Do those and add a longer 4th endurance ride and you have a pretty good plan.  My basic thought on cycling workouts, other than the recovery rides, is to "always be working".  By that I mean I try to do as much cycling in Z3 and above as possible.  I don't do alot of Z5 intervals but  feel there is alot to be gained with Z3 and Z4 intervals.  I use a powertap but you can adjust plans to HR or RPE.  I have the luxury of more time since my kids are now in HS but if I were looking at 3-4 hours a week I would do 3 interval workouts.

Another option may be getting some Spinerval DVDS and incorporating those into your workouts.  Just make sure you are working hard when you need to be and taking it easy on easy days.  I do all my workouts during the week on the trainer and that makes it easy to do hard workouts without worrying about traffic/weather.  

For me cycling has been the "low hanging fruit" and I have been able to improve a good bit through added time/miles.

Joe is a strong cyclist and may have some suggestions.  Anyone else??   

Randy

For cycling, Randy and I have an advantage in that we both have a powermeter.  A really great instrument if you know how to use it well and commit to it.  It's like a HR monitor on steriods.  It never lies to you - power is power if you're tired, hungry, hot, cold, dyhydrated, going downhill, uphill, with a headwind or tailwind, on cold meds.  That being said, a HR monitor is still a great tool, especially when combined with RPE.  For me, a powermeter was the concrete feedback and performance metric I needed to get to the next level (as you've said Christy, you never seem to get much faster but you may actually be you're just not noticing it because speed is so affected by other things).  But if your Critical Power is 170 W today and in a month it's 190 W, well there's your concrete feetback.  It's very possible that you could have ridden that 190 W ride slower than the 170 W one becuase of winds, terrain etc.  But all things being equal - 190W is faster than 170W.

JorgeM's plan that Randy referenced is GREAT!  (?http://coachjorgem.blogspot.com/p/cycling-plan.html).  He has plans for powermeters and HR/RPE and regular tests to measure gains.  I'd encourage you to read through all the guides he has on there (even if you're not gonna do the plan, the kind of info he talks about is valuable).  Take a look at the table in my blog.  The first test is when I got my PM.  I fooled around a bit with it, getting used to it and started Jorge's plan with the second test (you can see I dropped a little).  Then the next tests are my progress over the 15 weeks of his program (I had to take a few weeks off in Nov/Dec for holidays and work travel).  He has 4 workouts a week - 3 "core" and one long optional ride.  90% of the time I didn't do the optional ride, or did some subset of it (maybe an hour) and that was only towards the end.  At the same time I started this plan, I was doing my run build and running 6-7 times a week so that took precidence (and swimming was a big fat zero).

Anyway, you'll notice with his plan, and that Randy mentioned, there's very little "fluff".  When you get on the bike, especially if you can't spend 7-10 hours a week, you have to make every second count.  Remember running?  How we need to slowly build volume, train our bodies to handle the pounding, be VERY careful etc?  Well, forget that and go the opposite direction for cycling - all hard all the time (well, not really, but you get the idea).  Cycling (assuming your fit is good) isn't a destructive motion/pounding on your body so you can make really big gains (especially early) by jumping in there and really cranking it up.

You're gonna hate this,  but the thing (along with the PM) that really made this possible for me was doing it over the winter on a trainer.  There's no downhills, no stop signs, no turns etc inside (i.e. no cheating!).  An hour is REALLY an hour of work.  You can hit your intervals exactly as you want to and not have hills/stops ruin them.  I'm a convert to doing this type of bike work inside now (like Randy) becuase of how much more effective it is.  Plus, I was heat loading for Eagleman over the winter by doing some workouts without a fan and with longsleeves.  I will still do a lot of rides outside (especially when I move in June out near you and can bike from my front door) but not those "key" ones.  I'm lucky in that I can ride around my work (Army post) and it's flat and pretty good for intervals, but that's almost as boring as the trainer (where I can at least catch up on my DVR shows).

Anyway, I'll end by saying that you probably ARE getting faster, you're just not noticing it since it really is hard to quantify in cycling (w/o a powermeter that is).

2011-05-24 7:09 AM
in reply to: #3514177

User image

Master
Baltimore

slornow - 2011-05-23 2:49 PM Christy-enjoyed the race report.  How you feeling today?

I did a swim at lunch and will do an easy spin on the bike this evening.  Last week, after reading Joe's  3,2,1 run training post, I decided I would try a variation of that.  So, last week I ran for 6 consecutive days.  Did 3 runs in the 2.4 mile range after riding and a 3.5, 4 and 6 mile runs on other days.  Despite doing 3 "brick" runs off the bike my legs never really had that worn out feeling I often have on run only days.  Ended up with 21+ miles for the week and plan to continue with several shorter runs in addition to the longer ones as I build my run fitness back up.  Thanks for the help Joe!

Randy

Cool!  Those shorter runs are great to add milage without over taxing your system.

2011-05-24 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3515130

User image

Master
Baltimore
nmladic - 2011-05-24 12:00 AM

Karla, I agree with Christy that it's better to be safe. If you have to treadmill for a while until they catch the guy, do it. We have a mugger in Oak Park that's been grabbing women (5 attacks so far) at night on my run route. Sad to say, I've had to totally avoid that route for about 1 month now. I hope they catch him, but it's really a big wake up call to stay safe on the road. I don't run with any $$ on me, but my parents really want me to start carrying mace whenever I run now. It's so depressing. 

Matt - Awesome report!!

Joe/Randy - I am intrigued by the run approach. Plan to keep in my notes for future run efforts.

I can eat pretty much anything on the bike if I don't plan to run after.  So if I'm just biking, I'll eat whatever.  When I want to run after or have a long ride I want to practice, I'll only eat raceday stuff (gels, etc).

Go for a test this weekend - 30 mile bike (little longer since you're not doing the swim first) at planned Oly RPE and jump off for a quick 1-2 mile run.  You'll know instantly if you did something wrong (nutrition or pace on the bike).  Use your gels or whatever you want to use for the race.  If you can't do the run will here, you won't be able to in the race either, so you'll need to go back and change something.  If you can do it easily, well go faster on the bike next time!  I like finding that "breaking" point where you biked too hard and can't run - it's very good information to know so you don't do it in the race!

2011-05-24 7:53 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nicole-you have time to dial in your nutrition but its never to early to start.  You can experiment some now with different products to find what you like or what agrees with you.  But, you need to eventually begin training with what you are going to use on race day.  Nutrition for sprints/olympic distance racing isn't nearly as complicated as for HIM/IM.  A test run like Joe describes is always a good idea.  I try to take in all of my fluids/nutrition on the bike before the last 10-15 minutes.  That gives the body a chance to absorb things before you start running-keeps you from getting that sloshing around feeling in the stomach.  Then a little water and part of a gel on the run in sprints/olympic is plenty for me.  Really probably dont need the gel but its what has worked for me.

I would bet that more nutrition/hydration issues are caused by taking in too much rather than too little.  Practice makes perfect.

Forty minute easy run on the treadmill this morning.  May do an easy swim at lunch and an easy spin on the bike this evening.  I'm working my way through the "Lost" TV series on the bike and I am at the end of season 3 and want to see what happens. Still a long way to go until I finish the series.

Randy 

Edited by slornow 2011-05-24 8:39 AM
2011-05-24 8:13 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

Randy, My husband and I loved the Lost series. The last season got a little wierd, though.

I am having trouble deciphering the bike wo's on the site you guys referred us to. It is like greek to me. I read the "how to" and didn't understand it. Sorry, just an old foggie, I guess. Any help is appreciated.

2011-05-24 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3515481

User image

Master
Baltimore
djb45 - 2011-05-24 9:13 AM

Randy, My husband and I loved the Lost series. The last season got a little wierd, though.

I am having trouble deciphering the bike wo's on the site you guys referred us to. It is like greek to me. I read the "how to" and didn't understand it. Sorry, just an old foggie, I guess. Any help is appreciated.

It is confusing.  Did you read the section on "cycling plan notes and how to read sessions"?  If not, read that then make sure to click the pitcures on the bottom as it will explain the lingo. 

Jorge is a professional coach and this is a free program so I'm sure he's protecting the plan somewhat by making them graphics instead of text (so you can't copy/past) and by using short hand so you also have to look up specifics elsewhere (e.g. WU 1 is defined in a different section from the workout).  My advice, just copy down yourself what WU1, WU2, rest A etc mean and keep a cheat sheet for easy reference.

Does that help?

2011-05-24 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3515424

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Forty minute easy run on the treadmill this morning.  May do an easy swim at lunch and an easy spin on the bike this evening.  I'm working my way through the "Lost" TV series on the bike and I am at the end of season 3 and want to see what happens. Still a long way to go until I finish the series.

Randy 

I'm jealous.  My trainer is so loud I can't hear anything.  It sounds like a jet engine is following me.  But...it was free from my father in law, so I try not to complain. 

2011-05-24 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3515559

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-05-24 9:39 AM

Randy 

I'm jealous.  My trainer is so loud I can't hear anything.  It sounds like a jet engine is following me.  But...it was free from my father in law, so I try not to complain. 

??http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/btshs-sports/index.php

I love these.  If you have a headphone out jack on your TV/computer, the bluetooth piece plugs in there and it's wireless to the headphones.  I ruined 2 pairs (the original and the replacement they sent) of non-sport wireless headphones before I got these.  The jack on my TV is hidden and the signal got cut out a bit at first so I got a $5 extension piece at radioshack and the blutooth piece is now in front of the TV and it works perfectly.  I got them refurbished at their site pretty cheap too.  My first pair did not work well (one of the ear pieces was much lower volume than the other) and they sent me a replacement right away, and a pre-paid box to ship the old ones back.  I've been very happy with them so far.

ETA: sorry, I need to correct myself.  The blutooth adaptor that plugs into my TV came with my other headphones - these are just the headphones, not the adaptor.  You need something like this to go with it: http://amazon.com/wireless-bluetooth-stereo-adapter-players/dp/B004B8GF7Y/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF&qid=1306245939&sr=1-15

Edited by jsiegs 2011-05-24 9:10 AM

2011-05-24 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Thanks Joe.  I'm going to check that out. 

What's everyone doing today?  I'm going to try to get in an hour bike while my son takes a nap this afternoon and try to swim tonight after everyone is in bed.  We will see how it goes.  I've been using my foam roller like crazy.  It is so painful.  I hate it.  But I know it will help. 

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Christy

2011-05-24 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Hey Gang! 

Started back Sunday after taking a week off after 1/2 IM.  Did an easy one hour bike ride on trainer Sunday morning, very low gear just to get the feeling back.  It felt good. 

Monday swam 3600 (so much for going easy : ).  Started the 24 week full IM training program on week 3.   A little tired but body felt good, as I start this training, I have begun to realize just how crazy triathletes are.  I am in good company    Kidding aside, it feels good to be back taking it slow and easy this week but still putting distance in following training plan. 

Have a great rest of your day!!!!!!

2011-05-24 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

By that I mean I try to do as much cycling in Z3 and above as possible.  I don't do alot of Z5 intervals but  feel there is alot to be gained with Z3 and Z4 intervals.  I use a powertap but you can adjust plans to HR or RPE.  I have the luxury of more time since my kids are now in HS but if I were looking at 3-4 hours a week I would do 3 interval workouts.

Randy

As far as Z3 and Z4.  Are you talking about heart rate zones?  I read an article on BT that lactate threshold was a better measure than HR.  I don't know my LT.  I saw there is a way to find them, I just haven't done it.  Do you think it is a much better measure? Is it worth figuring it out?

I put my bike on my trainer and was all ready to have a good hard interval ride.  8 minutes in, my legs had different ideas.  I ended up doing an easy 30 min ride and stretching for 15 minutes.  I hope to feel better tomorrow.

Christy

2011-05-24 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3516382

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-05-24 2:45 PM

By that I mean I try to do as much cycling in Z3 and above as possible.  I don't do alot of Z5 intervals but  feel there is alot to be gained with Z3 and Z4 intervals.  I use a powertap but you can adjust plans to HR or RPE.  I have the luxury of more time since my kids are now in HS but if I were looking at 3-4 hours a week I would do 3 interval workouts.

Randy

As far as Z3 and Z4.  Are you talking about heart rate zones?  I read an article on BT that lactate threshold was a better measure than HR.  I don't know my LT.  I saw there is a way to find them, I just haven't done it.  Do you think it is a much better measure? Is it worth figuring it out?

I put my bike on my trainer and was all ready to have a good hard interval ride.  8 minutes in, my legs had different ideas.  I ended up doing an easy 30 min ride and stretching for 15 minutes.  I hope to feel better tomorrow.

Christy

Without getting too complicated - you are talking about the same thing.  You do a test to figure out your LT.  Plug that number into a calculator and it spits out your training zones (5 of them that we care about).  Doing the test is the right way to do it (there are other formulas/calculators, such as 220-age for max HR, that very generalizations and NOT useful for us).

haha, too bad about the bike - happens to us all from time to time though .  next time, I'd really suggest Warming up (I'm assumng you didn't if you went easy after 8 min).  I've gotten the following Warm up I really like from Jorge's plans, it's 20 min total, and I do it for almost all my bikes now.

10 min easy, spin your legs, start Z1, end Z2 

5 min alternating 30 sec @ threshold/Z4 and 30 sec Z2 (if your intervals will be high intensity, Z5 or higher, for the main set, do 20 sec at Z5 and 40 sec Z2 instead).

5 min high Z2/low Z3

If you don't know your zones or don't have a HRM, go to Jorge's blog and click the third chart down on this page for a good idea of what each should feel like: http://coachjorgem.blogspot.com/2008/11/winter-cycling-plan-training-zones-and.html

This warm up seems to work really well for me, but you may need to adjust it for your specific needs.  A good warm up will really help getting your body ready for the much harder work to come.  Lots of times I've felt like it would be impossible to hold a given effort for longer (e.g. I'm getting tired with the 30 second warm ups at Z4, and my Main set has me doing that intensity twice for 20 min each), but it gets EASIER to hold it after a little bit.  Counter-intuitive, I know, but it's true. 

2011-05-24 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3516221

User image

Master
Baltimore
[email protected] - 2011-05-24 1:45 PM

Hey Gang! 

Started back Sunday after taking a week off after 1/2 IM.  Did an easy one hour bike ride on trainer Sunday morning, very low gear just to get the feeling back.  It felt good. 

Monday swam 3600 (so much for going easy : ).  Started the 24 week full IM training program on week 3.   A little tired but body felt good, as I start this training, I have begun to realize just how crazy triathletes are.  I am in good company    Kidding aside, it feels good to be back taking it slow and easy this week but still putting distance in following training plan. 

Have a great rest of your day!!!!!!

Welcome back!  3600 in the pool sounds like a tough way to get back in the groove!

2011-05-24 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3516441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-05-24 2:26 PM
cbrookhart - 2011-05-24 2:45 PM

Randy

Christy

Without getting too complicated - you are talking about the same thing.  You do a test to figure out your LT.  Plug that number into a calculator and it spits out your training zones (5 of them that we care about).  Doing the test is the right way to do it (there are other formulas/calculators, such as 220-age for max HR, that very generalizations and NOT useful for us).

haha, too bad about the bike - happens to us all from time to time though .  next time, I'd really suggest Warming up (I'm assumng you didn't if you went easy after 8 min).  I've gotten the following Warm up I really like from Jorge's plans, it's 20 min total, and I do it for almost all my bikes now.

10 min easy, spin your legs, start Z1, end Z2 

5 min alternating 30 sec @ threshold/Z4 and 30 sec Z2 (if your intervals will be high intensity, Z5 or higher, for the main set, do 20 sec at Z5 and 40 sec Z2 instead).

5 min high Z2/low Z3

If you don't know your zones or don't have a HRM, go to Jorge's blog and click the third chart down on this page for a good idea of what each should feel like: http://coachjorgem.blogspot.com/2008/11/winter-cycling-plan-training-zones-and.html

This warm up seems to work really well for me, but you may need to adjust it for your specific needs.  A good warm up will really help getting your body ready for the much harder work to come.  Lots of times I've felt like it would be impossible to hold a given effort for longer (e.g. I'm getting tired with the 30 second warm ups at Z4, and my Main set has me doing that intensity twice for 20 min each), but it gets EASIER to hold it after a little bit.  Counter-intuitive, I know, but it's true. 

So, it's the same thing, just different ways to figure it out?  I'm guessing my Garmin does the 220-age. So doing the test would be more accurate max HR.  Is that right?  I sware, the more i think I know, the less I know.  Thanks for the warm up.  I'll try it. 

Christy

2011-05-24 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3515289

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
cbrookhart - 2011-05-24 6:35 AM
nmladic - 2011-05-23 11:00 PM

What are you eating/drinking on your rides? As for the ensure, I've never tried it.  I have been just eating a small breakfast a couple hours before the race (or long workout) starts.  That seems to be ok with my stomach.

Are you following a plan?  I would think it would have bricks in there soon.

Nothing, really. It's not hot here, so I just have a bottle of gatorade and some water with me on the bike and I haven't needed to do anything more. On my last 2 hour ride, I did it first thing in the morning with no breakfast first, and that was a mistake. So the next time I just had toast and jam before hand and that did the trick. 

However, yesterday when I got out of pool after a 1 hour swim I was a little shakey but I didn't have water or anything. 

I think as it starts getting hot here I might need to do more. But we're still in the 50's most days so I've been fine. July will be another story though!

Re: Bricks... I'm doing the BT "olympic balanced 2x/week" plan, but it's a time-based plan (no workouts included) so I've been getting the actual workouts elsewhere and applying them to the time. I think I will start incorporating bricks into my plan after this weekend's 10-miler. Thanks!

2011-05-24 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3515338

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
jsiegs - 2011-05-24 7:15 AM
nmladic - 2011-05-24 12:00 AM

Go for a test this weekend - 30 mile bike (little longer since you're not doing the swim first) at planned Oly RPE and jump off for a quick 1-2 mile run.  You'll know instantly if you did something wrong (nutrition or pace on the bike).  Use your gels or whatever you want to use for the race.  If you can't do the run will here, you won't be able to in the race either, so you'll need to go back and change something.  If you can do it easily, well go faster on the bike next time!  I like finding that "breaking" point where you biked too hard and can't run - it's very good information to know so you don't do it in the race!

I can do this! Thanks for the advice! You are awesome!!!

2011-05-24 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3515514

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Joe, thanks! Went back and reread, etc. Understand now. I appreciate it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56