General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-07-10 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3589984

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Good that we are discussing nutrition setups.

In the past I have gone with what I now feel like is overboard. 2 in the rear and a torpedo mount, all 3 full. The extra weight was a bit cumbersome, and I didn't really utilize the on course nutrition at its best. I think I will be going with 2 bottles this year: 1 downtube for water and 1 toruhans with perform, both to be refilled on course.

Here is my question, if slightly tangent: How do you manage your flat kits/spares? I am having trouble deciding weather to go with tubular or clincher this year, and how to store kits for either one. How do you guys do it? For tubes, just a bottle of fix a flat? or the whole 9 yards with a spare and all that stuff. Where do you keep it? Bento box, under the seat, in a spare bottle?

2012-07-10 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4303197

User image

Tough question to answer as everyone is different, with different bikes and needs. I find that using a bottle to store all the extra stuff works well for me. Reasons; it keeps things aero, keeps me from having to attach a bag to my bike, allows more room for race number stickers, easy to remove from the bike when needed, can hold more than the small bags, can use a clear bottle so you know all the important stuff is there. Good luck!
2012-07-10 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

15step - 2012-07-10 9:12 AM Good that we are discussing nutrition setups. In the past I have gone with what I now feel like is overboard. 2 in the rear and a torpedo mount, all 3 full. The extra weight was a bit cumbersome, and I didn't really utilize the on course nutrition at its best. I think I will be going with 2 bottles this year: 1 downtube for water and 1 toruhans with perform, both to be refilled on course. Here is my question, if slightly tangent: How do you manage your flat kits/spares? I am having trouble deciding weather to go with tubular or clincher this year, and how to store kits for either one. How do you guys do it? For tubes, just a bottle of fix a flat? or the whole 9 yards with a spare and all that stuff. Where do you keep it? Bento box, under the seat, in a spare bottle?

Check out this video on a setup.

2012-07-10 10:38 AM

I'll be running clinchers and I've been keeping spare tubes and supplies in a under mounted bag beneath my rear bottle cages. I use the xlab carbon wing. It's worked great in past races. Not alot of extra weight and keeps my cages free for extra bottles.
2012-07-10 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

15step - 2012-07-10 9:12 AM Good that we are discussing nutrition setups. In the past I have gone with what I now feel like is overboard. 2 in the rear and a torpedo mount, all 3 full. The extra weight was a bit cumbersome, and I didn't really utilize the on course nutrition at its best. I think I will be going with 2 bottles this year: 1 downtube for water and 1 toruhans with perform, both to be refilled on course. Here is my question, if slightly tangent: How do you manage your flat kits/spares? I am having trouble deciding weather to go with tubular or clincher this year, and how to store kits for either one. How do you guys do it? For tubes, just a bottle of fix a flat? or the whole 9 yards with a spare and all that stuff. Where do you keep it? Bento box, under the seat, in a spare bottle?

I use cllinchers  Having to carry a knife glue and a new tire etc for a tubular seems a bit crazy to me.  I have a saddle bag with a spare tube and 2 CO2s then I duct tape a fix a flat to the bottle on the bag.  I usually have all that in back up in my bike SN too.  I carry a lot of fluid with me on the bike but I prefer my own nutrition to that on the course and quite frankly an carrying extra 20 oz is not going to makeor break me.  Taking 20# off my butt would help a lot more

Edited by Socks 2012-07-10 10:52 AM
2012-07-11 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

I will be rolling with two bottles this year as well and losing my entire wing. Both of my bottles will be nutritional and all my water will be gotten from aid stations.

I will have a mini bag tucked up as tight as can be behind my seat holding a tube and i will wear a bike jersey (or cycling vest over the jersey) for the bike and will have a ziploc bag with my tools/co2's/crack pipe/ levers etc) in it.

Yes, I am going with clinchers. 

2012-07-11 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4305524

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

Interesting enough, my nutrition plan only called for two bottle of nutrion this year, so it only made sense to ditch two other bottle which were only water anyway sinc I can get water every 30 minutes.

Hour 1 - one bottle of nutrional mix containing about 320 calories and about 75 carbs

Hour 2 - water and one 5oz bottle of berry EFS liquid shot (400 calories and 100 carbs) consumed throughout the hour

Hour 3 - water, one full bonk breaker and one gel

Hour 4 - Seocnd nutrional bottle which has been on my frame the whole race

Hour 5 - (repeat hour 3) water, one full bonk breaker and one gel

The last 30 minutes or so I will be drinking water and maybe take a 1/2 bonk breaker and a gel to start the run.

Since special needs comes at mile 56, somewhere before hour three if I lose a bottle on the front, I can get another at SN.  I also plan on carrying a sandwich bag with my powder nutrional mix (gu brew & carbo pro) in one of my jersey pockets just in case.  All my food, gels and salt tabe will be on my bike so my pockets will be free for two bags - bike tools and extra nutrional mix.

Edited by LSUfan4444 2012-07-11 9:42 AM
2012-07-11 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4305556

My setup:

Zipp 1080 tubulars

I will use aerobottle with 2 compartments, one just for water and the other for Infinit Nutrition (that I mix with Powder Lime Gatorade). To refill the Infinit, I will have 4 x 25 oz bottles concentrated x2 (adding water from the Aid Stations). I will carry 2 of them on the frame, and in the HydroTail behind the seat I have space for 3 bottles, so 2 with the concentrated Infinit, and in the center position a canister with all kind of tools, 2 Vittoria Pitstop, etc. Also, a spare tire (Conti Sprinter), but I may change this spare tire for a track tubular tire if is small enough to go inside the canister (got the idea from a post on ST)

Also around 7 GUs taped on the top tube and Endurolites on a TicTac box on my pocket

2012-07-14 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4306046

Extreme Veteran
imiranda - 2012-07-11 12:53 PM

My setup:

Zipp 1080 tubulars

I will use aerobottle with 2 compartments, one just for water and the other for Infinit Nutrition (that I mix with Powder Lime Gatorade). To refill the Infinit, I will have 4 x 25 oz bottles concentrated x2 (adding water from the Aid Stations). I will carry 2 of them on the frame, and in the HydroTail behind the seat I have space for 3 bottles, so 2 with the concentrated Infinit, and in the center position a canister with all kind of tools, 2 Vittoria Pitstop, etc. Also, a spare tire (Conti Sprinter), but I may change this spare tire for a track tubular tire if is small enough to go inside the canister (got the idea from a post on ST)

Also around 7 GUs taped on the top tube and Endurolites on a TicTac box on my pocket

Never done a Full before, but seems like an AWFUL lot of gear to be toting around with you.. gotta be adding 10lbs to the bike?

2012-07-14 5:33 PM

Harker Heights, TX
i haven't read much here about this, but can anyone say what the weather typically is that time of year. of course i am mostly curious about the winds and the air temps. i am so used to racing in the heat that i am concerned about being cold! thanks for the help!
2012-07-14 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4311634

Yes is a lot. Bad thing is I just can't drink IM Perform, that would solve most of the problem. Will see what I can change. Thanks

2012-07-14 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4311665

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

armckenzie - 2012-07-14 5:33 PM i haven't read much here about this, but can anyone say what the weather typically is that time of year. of course i am mostly curious about the winds and the air temps. i am so used to racing in the heat that i am concerned about being cold! thanks for the help!

Usually its pretty chilly.  Worst year 2006 31 degrees on the beach race morning.  Best I raced was 2008 no wind and in the 70s all day.  2007 was nice too but I didn't race.  Be prepared for the cold.  Bring lots of layers and put something long sleeved in your special needs bag.  Throw away gloves for the bike.  Usually at least parts of the course can be windy.  ITs rare for it to NOT be windy actually.  On the upside the water is usually comfy yet wetsuit legal in the mid to low70s

2012-07-14 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4311690

Veteran
Vicksburg
Socks - 2012-07-14 6:03 PM

armckenzie - 2012-07-14 5:33 PM i haven't read much here about this, but can anyone say what the weather typically is that time of year. of course i am mostly curious about the winds and the air temps. i am so used to racing in the heat that i am concerned about being cold! thanks for the help!

Usually its pretty chilly.  Worst year 2006 31 degrees on the beach race morning.  Best I raced was 2008 no wind and in the 70s all day.  2007 was nice too but I didn't race.  Be prepared for the cold.  Bring lots of layers and put something long sleeved in your special needs bag.  Throw away gloves for the bike.  Usually at least parts of the course can be windy.  ITs rare for it to NOT be windy actually.  On the upside the water is usually comfy yet wetsuit legal in the mid to low70s

I haven't raced it but just like posted above I have read of cold and nice days.  I volunteed last year and it was beautiful. 

2012-07-14 10:22 PM

Veteran
Vicksburg
Just trying to get a feel where everyones long rides and runs are at.  This morning I got my longest ride in at 75 miles.  Plan on increasing each week.  My long run this week was going to be around 13.5 but my training partner wants to run a hilly 12.5 mile route.
2012-07-16 10:56 AM

User image

Expert

First of all I thought it was pretty darn cold last year.  Wore socks, flip flops and a hat to the swim start.  Long pants, long sleeve shirt, jacket and gloves on the bike.  Run was just a long sleeve shirt, it was nice weather for the run. 

As for training to date.  I did an 81 mi bike Saturday and a 1 1/2 hr interval run on Saturday. The ride was longer that it was supposed to be but we were a ways from home and ya gotta get home   Kind of miscalculated.

Will slowly build over the next few weeks.  Another 4 hr ride this Saturday followed by a Sunday 1.5 hour run.  By the time we get done I will have probably three 5.5 hour rides and a couple of 3+ hour runs.  Plenty of time to build as I want to peak in November, not early October.

enjoy,

Duane   

2012-07-16 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I trained with Perform for 2010 and it worked out ok.

Had a bad experience this year at Buffalo Springs Lake, the perform flavor they had on the run is the one flavor I cannot tolerate, so I took no electrolytes on the run.  Didn't work out too well.  So this year I'm planning on carrying my own, depending on which flavors they will have on the bike and run.

Current long bike ~ 100 miles

Current long run 12 miles. - but it hurts.  Any ideas on what to do so that the long runs don't leave my legs so sore? -- It's not like I'm running fast either - ~ 11min/mile

2012-07-16 2:20 PM

User image

Regular
Marlton, NJ

Question about the swim portion of IMFL - currently I breath on my right side while swimming. I'm wondering if there is a need to practice on my left side as well, just in case there are any issues w/ waves coming in towards my right side. I should practice bilateral breathing either way, but just curious to know if waves would be a factor coming in sideways. A friend mentioned that the water should be coming in directly into shore, but I guess we can't really tell until race day.

Not sure if anyone who has raced IMFL in the past may have some insight on this.

2012-07-16 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
I would recommend going ahead and practicing/learning how to bilateral breathe in the pool. Benefits will be 2 fold. First, you learn you can breathe on either side, so regardless of the water conditions you can get a good breath in. Secondly, bilateral breathing improves your stroke and form in the water. Practicing form in the water is what will make you faster.

That being said, in a race, I do notice I tend to breathe on one side every other stroke pretty often, this keeps me from going anaerobic if possible.
2012-07-16 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4314276

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
ryanone - 2012-07-16 2:20 PM

Question about the swim portion of IMFL - currently I breath on my right side while swimming. I'm wondering if there is a need to practice on my left side as well, just in case there are any issues w/ waves coming in towards my right side. I should practice bilateral breathing either way, but just curious to know if waves would be a factor coming in sideways. A friend mentioned that the water should be coming in directly into shore, but I guess we can't really tell until race day.

Not sure if anyone who has raced IMFL in the past may have some insight on this.

Learn it.  It will always be a valuable skill at anyrate.  As to as it pertains to this race...I have down IMFL 5 times plus I've done gulf coast (same venue) and I have gone to spectate IMFL one year as well so between the racing and teh practice swim I have had probably 10-12 goes on the course.  It can be pancake flat or 5 foot waves.  As its a rectangle at some point it WILL be coming at you from your breathing side and most likely you will get a snoot full of water.  the waves usually go diagonal across the course but it is the ocean so anything can happen.  Another useful skill is the ability to turn on your back and backstroke a few strokes of you do get a face full of water and need to clear your airway.  I can show you haow to do that pre race but if you practice before hand it will MUCH easier.  Basically if you watch the how the olympic swimmers who are backstroking come into the wall that is how to do it but in reverse to get from from front to back.

2012-07-16 4:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

IMFL swim is ideal for left breathers. As you swim out tide tends to push to the left. As a right breather you are always looking away from the rectangle shaped course. On way back, tide can push you quite a bit to the right and breathing right only can make it worse.

I'm a right breather and force myself to practice left breathing but still stink at it.  It was a disadvantage to not be able to breath both sides.

2012-07-16 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4314187

Veteran
Vicksburg
jashac - 2012-07-16 1:50 PM

I trained with Perform for 2010 and it worked out ok.

Had a bad experience this year at Buffalo Springs Lake, the perform flavor they had on the run is the one flavor I cannot tolerate, so I took no electrolytes on the run.  Didn't work out too well.  So this year I'm planning on carrying my own, depending on which flavors they will have on the bike and run.

Current long bike ~ 100 miles

Current long run 12 miles. - but it hurts.  Any ideas on what to do so that the long runs don't leave my legs so sore? -- It's not like I'm running fast either - ~ 11min/mile

I really wish WTC would listen to its customers and find another drink. Perform just taste horrible, especially in training if it is hot.

2012-07-17 12:51 AM

User image

Santa Maria
I started my IM plan last month. I came off of a marathon plan so I feel my run is up to par, but after reading how others are training I feel I am a little behind. My marathon time was 3:36 for the San Diego Marathon. So far my long swim is 3200 meters, 3 hour bike 50-55 miles, and long run is about 1 hour 30 minites about 12 miles. My bike would be better but I live on the central coast of cali where it is always windy in the afternoon and some good hills. I am renting some good wheels for the race and training on my heavy BOS stockers. I rode tubulars in Cozi and got a flat. The tire change went well as I had a razor blade taped to my frame. But I only carried one spare tire as they are very bulky. Pretty unnerving since I got the flat on mile 30 or so. This year I am renting clinchers and plan on taking 2 tubes. I did IM Cozi on 09 and averaged about 19 mph. I am looking for 20+ this year. This year will be fun, I am bringing my wife, 2 small kids, and my mom to the race. We are staying at the Shores of Panama. Can't wait to see how my training progresses and racing with all the others on this forum!
2012-07-17 7:23 AM

User image

Regular
Marlton, NJ
Thank you all for the feedback on swim breathing. I was going to plan to practice bilateral breathing down the line, but it seems that if it may affect my swim at IMFL, I need to start NOW - as in during my work lunch break today
2012-07-17 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4315343

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

ryanone - 2012-07-17 7:23 AM Thank you all for the feedback on swim breathing. I was going to plan to practice bilateral breathing down the line, but it seems that if it may affect my swim at IMFL, I need to start NOW - as in during my work lunch break today

eventually it will become a non issue.  Its nice because you never have to think about when to breathe,  If you need a breathe turn your head and breathe.   I was a former right side breather and I was working on Bilat but it was awkward until I injured my neck and could not turn my head tot he right at all.  I HAD to learn to breathe left.  Now its second nature.  Good drill is to alternate breathing every 3rd and 5th stroke.

2012-07-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4315194

Veteran
Vicksburg

drw94 - 2012-07-17 12:51 AM I started my IM plan last month. I came off of a marathon plan so I feel my run is up to par, but after reading how others are training I feel I am a little behind. My marathon time was 3:36 for the San Diego Marathon. So far my long swim is 3200 meters, 3 hour bike 50-55 miles, and long run is about 1 hour 30 minites about 12 miles. My bike would be better but I live on the central coast of cali where it is always windy in the afternoon and some good hills. I am renting some good wheels for the race and training on my heavy BOS stockers. I rode tubulars in Cozi and got a flat. The tire change went well as I had a razor blade taped to my frame. But I only carried one spare tire as they are very bulky. Pretty unnerving since I got the flat on mile 30 or so. This year I am renting clinchers and plan on taking 2 tubes. I did IM Cozi on 09 and averaged about 19 mph. I am looking for 20+ this year. This year will be fun, I am bringing my wife, 2 small kids, and my mom to the race. We are staying at the Shores of Panama. Can't wait to see how my training progresses and racing with all the others on this forum!

I think if you bring your bike up you will be right in line where you need to be.  Obviously you are in good shape so that should be no prolblem.   How old are your kids.  I am staying at the Shores of Panama also and will have a 4 year old boy and 7 year old girl with me.  They may need playmates ; )  I plan taking them trick or treating down there somewhere.  We may even drive out to Seaside, I think that would be awesome.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64