BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-21 10:50 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Actually taking the family camping for the first time in a long time so this week is bit hectic, and I'm suffering from the its 2.5 months until my next race blues. I'm finding hard to get motivated to train this week planning on a run tomorrow at lunch followed by masters, just need to talk myself into it now.

2013-05-21 11:56 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
Suzy: It's a good thing to know what is going on, and now you can focus on getting better! Amazing you ran 15 miles with broken ribs. Ouch! May the recovery be smooth and quick as possible.

Thank you all for the kind words. I know it's not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but it was a blow. All my qualified friends are registering and it hurts to watch. I'm celebrating them, of course. A few first timers in there! Stoked for them.

I finally got out and did a true open water swim just off the reef, and it was beautiful. I saw a sea turtle and it was an effort to take my face out of the water to breath. I wanted to stay in that one spot and watch it swim around! That was when I decided that I needed to keep training at some level just to stay this close to nature. I was going to skip out on the Cocos Crossing this weekend, a 2.5 mile swim from island to island, but after a successful swim in conditions that would normally scare the swimsuit off of me, I figured I need to do it. Everyone that's done it says it's an experience they'll never forget.

Happy training!
2013-05-22 12:09 AM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by thirdstation

Originally posted by slornow

thirdstation/Mark-how did you set your HR zones? The standard 220-age is not very accurate. I think there is an article somewhere here on BT about the problems with that approach and some alternative ways to calculate HR zones.

Busy day with work but was able to get in a bike session this evening. Tomorrow will be early treadmill run before heading out on the road for work again then another bike session tomorow night.

Anyone have big plans for the Holiday weekend?

I used the Maffetone formula of 180-age. It is, by his admission, a "good enough" measurement. I'm OK with that. The 220-age gets me 125-142 which is not too far off Maffetone.

I'll try to do a LT test. My monitor can do average HR but, it doesn't have a lap function so I'll just have to restart it - no biggie.

I'd be surprised if an LT test told me I should be training in the 155-170 range. That would be too convenient :-)

What does your MAF HR work out at (or to ask a more personal question - how old are you)? From your description of your first attempt, it sounds like you need to try to slow down your run, but without quite dropping to a walk. I know this will feel VERY slow and probably a little uncomfortable to start with, but as previously stated, you'll find you get faster once you get it right. When I first started I went from what I thought was an "easy" run to a very slow plod. But you kind of need to go through the plodding stage to get to the rest.
2013-05-22 12:12 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by Blanda

Suzy: It's a good thing to know what is going on, and now you can focus on getting better! Amazing you ran 15 miles with broken ribs. Ouch! May the recovery be smooth and quick as possible.

Thank you all for the kind words. I know it's not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but it was a blow. All my qualified friends are registering and it hurts to watch. I'm celebrating them, of course. A few first timers in there! Stoked for them.

I finally got out and did a true open water swim just off the reef, and it was beautiful. I saw a sea turtle and it was an effort to take my face out of the water to breath. I wanted to stay in that one spot and watch it swim around! That was when I decided that I needed to keep training at some level just to stay this close to nature. I was going to skip out on the Cocos Crossing this weekend, a 2.5 mile swim from island to island, but after a successful swim in conditions that would normally scare the swimsuit off of me, I figured I need to do it. Everyone that's done it says it's an experience they'll never forget.

Happy training!

That open water swim sounds like a great experience. We did a swim at the end of last year from Lindisfarne (an island) to the mainland and back. We were swimming with seals for quite a lot of the time, which just made it magical. I'd rather have sea turtles, but unfortunately we don't have the climate for it ;-)

It's a real shame you won't be going to Maui, but hopefully there will be other opportunities. And just think of all the quality training you've got done because of it. Keep it going and you'll definitely have another chance. Do you have another race you can put in for this year to give you something to aim for?
2013-05-22 12:17 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by Hoos

Anyone have big plans for the Holiday weekend?

First HM!

Followed by recovery from first HM.  Smile

Good luck! Do you have a target time you want to share with the group?

I've had a rest day from work cancelled on Saturday because there's a big demonstration planned in the city I work in. So I thought I was going to have to miss out on the local cycling sportive that I wanted to do this year. Then I realised yesterday that I don't start work till 4pm, and because the sportive has different distances (50/80/100miles) I can probably fit it in after all. The cost is the same for all 3 distances, and they start on the same route then turn off. So I'm thinking about registering for the 80miles, and then see how it goes and if necessary drop off onto the 50 route to make sure I get to work. I've still got the end of my cold, so final decision will be made tomorrow night based on how I feel (entry closes Friday). I'm really hoping I feel up to doing it...
2013-05-22 12:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Calgary, AB

Feels a bit weird to have missed this... but did anyone notice that one of the members of our little group completed a freakin' IM last weekend?

Way to go jimmyb!    (why didn't you remind us to cheer?!?)

His race report is up..

Scott.

HA!  Never mind...   that was an old race report from IMTX 2011 -- somehow floated up to the recently posted race reports list -- I blame the site upgrade ... yeah, that's it Smile

Edited by Hoos 2013-05-22 12:42 AM

2013-05-22 5:35 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
How about a question for the group before everyone gets obsessed with the upcoming weekend? What are some things you do or tell yourself when one of your disciplines is lagging in progress? how do you keep going? I tell myself every time I go to the pool, today's the day I am going to follow the workout to a T and really work hard on technique. I often find that i have so many things to work on from instructor that I get frustrated and start messing with the workout itself. I've tried focusing on one issue at a time, but even that doesn't work. I would never think to do this with running or biking where I am more proficient. HELP!

We're heading to our Lake House today in Northern Wisconsin to kick off the Summer. Highly doubt I will get to do any OWS quite yet with the H20 temps in the mid to upper 40s (brrrr), but I do have a couple of rides on the plan. One of my routes takes me by an area where I typically see black bear so almost as good as a sea turtle in beautiful waters.

2013-05-22 6:50 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Dang! Lots of good stuff to discuss/comment on but I'm on the road all day. Will check in this evening. Intervals on the treadmill done.

Mark/thirdstation-any chance you could run on a treadmill during the early phase of switching to Maffetone method. Much easier to control terrain and speed. May not be feasible but just a thought.

2013-05-22 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by SSMinnow

How about a question for the group before everyone gets obsessed with the upcoming weekend? What are some things you do or tell yourself when one of your disciplines is lagging in progress? how do you keep going? I tell myself every time I go to the pool, today's the day I am going to follow the workout to a T and really work hard on technique. I often find that i have so many things to work on from instructor that I get frustrated and start messing with the workout itself. I've tried focusing on one issue at a time, but even that doesn't work. I would never think to do this with running or biking where I am more proficient. HELP!

We're heading to our Lake House today in Northern Wisconsin to kick off the Summer. Highly doubt I will get to do any OWS quite yet with the H20 temps in the mid to upper 40s (brrrr), but I do have a couple of rides on the plan. One of my routes takes me by an area where I typically see black bear so almost as good as a sea turtle in beautiful waters.

I really try not to focus on "progress." In the short run of my training, it's hard to see a lot of progress. I can never tell if yesterday's workout is impacting today's, or maybe it's just an off-day. I really try to keep a long range perspective with my workouts: there are some off days, but I try to focus on long-term progress, more than how a particular day went.
2013-05-22 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton
It has been pretty quiet on my front. I had a very enjoyable kayak trip on the Brazos river this weekend and my shoulders and back are still thanking me for it. Enjoyed a nice and easy run on the treadmill yesterday. Running outside was out of the question since we were under a Tornado watch again.

I got a one hour bike session today that I am not looking forward to because my coach asked me to keep it above 95rpm. That'll be a challenge since I am more of a big gear masher as opposed to a fast cadence guy. What type of cadence are you guys used to? Fast High Cadence or Slow Low Cadence? I was listening to Zen and the Art of Triathlon and Brent was interviewing Jordan Rapp who says his perfect cadence is at 78-79.

My other question is what podcasts are you guys listening to or watching? Here is the list of the podcasts that I try to keep up with:

Ben Greenfield Fitness
Cycling 360 Media
Endurance Planet
First off the Bike
IM Talk
The Rich Roll podcast
Training Bible Coaching Podcast
Zen and the Art of Triathlon

Happy Training!
2013-05-22 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Suzy to say I am deficient in running would be an understatement. What helped me was the advice I got from this group. I slowed down and worked on consistency. Speed was irrelevant. I just went out on run days and concentrated on form over a defined distance and then I was done. I was seeing progress.

As a swimmer, your task is not dissimilar. First and foremost you need to master the form and rhythm of your stroke. Until you have that and can hold it throughout a workout your efforts will be battling your own body. Use your warm up to focus on form. You will find that if you do 1000 yard workout in proper form you will get more out of it than 3000 yards struggling to find your rhythm.

You might want to try doing an EASY swim on your rest days. All my rest days are active rest except right before a race. Just get in the water and swim. With no expectation of speed or distance you might be able to relax and find a nice easy rhythm. Once you find it and do it a few times your body will naturally go there because the machine that is your body loves efficiency.

Good luck.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
[Sorry ... double post. Got an error message and tried again.

Edited by Stuartap 2013-05-22 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Really this posted three times! If it shows up a fourth time I will stop trying to edit and back away from the computer.

Edited by Stuartap 2013-05-22 10:00 AM
2013-05-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4724546

Solid short workout today: 1 hour bike & 2 mile transition run. Watts averaged 10 higher and the run about 1.5 mpm faster. Life is Good!! Question: how do you train/race on a hilly terrain? I moved to the foothills last summer and still am not sure what to do on the hills. If I put some effort into it my watts go thru the roof, if I spin up them and monitor power then my overall watts seem off. I do not pedal down most of them because I am not crazy about cruising more than 25/30 mph. I am still new to the power meter and confused a lot.
2013-05-22 10:13 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Like Stuart said....I come here when I feel like I'm lagging

Enjoy your weekend! Get your butt in the water - it's good for ya!

Michael thanks for your podcast list - that's a great idea. Anybody else?
2013-05-22 10:13 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
ggrrrr double post

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-05-22 10:14 AM

2013-05-22 10:37 AM

Hudson Valley Region

Dang! Lots of good stuff to discuss/comment on but I'm on the road all day. Will check in this evening. Intervals on the treadmill done.

Mark/thirdstation-any chance you could run on a treadmill during the early phase of switching to Maffetone method. Much easier to control terrain and speed. May not be feasible but just a thought.

The trail I ran on is very flat so I don't think that skewed the test much. The weather was nice too so heat wasn't a problem.

I have access to treadmills and when I use one 4.0-4.5 mph is an easy run for me. Whenever I check my HR on the treadmill's monitor I'm in the 150-175 range depending on where I am in the workout. Oh, I should mention that my resting HR seems normal. It's anywhere between 60-80 depending on what I'm thinking about.

One thing that I haven't seen explicitly accounted for in any of the methods is body weight. Of course, it asserts itself by limiting my speed in order to stay under my target HR. I wonder what would happen if you took a healthy-weight person my age (42) and had them perform a MAF test while wearing a 50lb. weight vest. I'm pretty confident their HR would be much higher than usual and they may have to walk (any takers?:-) ). Conversely, I wonder if there are any 50lb+ overweight persons who have low HR's while training.

So, excess weight seems built-in to the methods I've seen. If you are overweight your HR will be higher and you'll need more patience.

And this brings me to another crossroads: Do I postpone cardiovascular training for weight loss by training at the higher HR or, do I train cardio and lose weight at a slower pace by staying with Maffetone? I need to think about this.
2013-05-22 10:37 AM

Hudson Valley Region
i guess this explains all the site errors during lunch.

Edited by thirdstation 2013-05-22 11:36 AM
2013-05-22 10:38 AM

Hudson Valley Region

2013-05-22 10:38 AM

Hudson Valley Region
Wow.

2013-05-22 10:57 AM

User image

How about a question for the group before everyone gets obsessed with the upcoming weekend? What are some things you do or tell yourself when one of your disciplines is lagging in progress? how do you keep going?

I'm in the same situation with the bike, and it seems that I can never fit in the whole workout. So I just decided that I'll focus on the total time on the bike for the next couple of weeks, which might mean jumping on the spin bike for 20min here and there to add the time up.
It always works with the running for me - breaking it down to shorter/ 'bitesize' workouts until my head is back on track.
I don't know how you would do that with the swim since the whole getting changed etc can take up quite a bit of time.

2013-05-22 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4724546

Sometimes I think the "lack of progress" is just progress not measured by all our devices. A good check can be a down week off a build. If you step back on distance-how do you feel doing the same speeds? Sometimes if you aren't getting faster, your body may be adjusting to the current speed and you won't see the gains on your watch but in how you feel, which is hard to measure and often even recognize.
2013-05-22 1:58 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I really try not to focus on "progress." In the short run of my training, it's hard to see a lot of progress. I can never tell if yesterday's workout is impacting today's, or maybe it's just an off-day. I really try to keep a long range perspective with my workouts: there are some off days, but I try to focus on long-term progress, more than how a particular day went.

Jamie.

I think that is a brilliant response. Improvement in triathlon can be a glacially slow process. I just have to have faith that if I follow the program that I will make progress. I have spent months at a time at almost complete standstill when it comes to improvement only to make a big leap in a week. I have never really felt myself getting faster on the run but I am running faster now in a half marathon than I used to in a 5K. Swimming is the most frustrating of all. I want to improve. I want to be faster. I have swam hundreds of hours for only a few seconds improvement in my 100 times. It makes me crazy. But, if I wasn't working at it and getting those few seconds faster, I would certainly be getting more than a few seconds slower.

Suzy.

I truly feel your pain on the swim progress. Sometimes I want to become a duathlete or even a single sport runner but somehow the challenge of improving in something that I am so bad at keeps me working away. I just have faith that more swimming is good. Even if I am not able to concentrate on form during THIS workout, the time in the water has to be making some difference, right?

I am headed up to Northern MI (probably about the same latitude as Northern WI) for the weekend. I think I will bring my wetsuit along but I can't imagine that the water will be warm enough to spend more than a few minutes in it. I will get in some good biking and running while I am up there.
2013-05-22 4:36 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Suzy...I feel the same way in the pool. I have never in my life done any swimming except as a kid playing in the pool with friends. I took swim lessons as a kid, but I have never been a lap swimmer. I took 4 weeks of lessons when I decided to jump into triathlon. My instructor was FANTASTIC (even though he made me meet him at 5:00 a.m.). He left me with 4 main drills that focus on body position and catch/pull. Once I warm up, I spend about 400-500 yards doing just drills. I then swim laps. If all feels good, I just swim and don't try to think about technique. If something feels off, though, I'll focus on ONE aspect for 50-100 yards, then switch to another. It's simply too much to try to focus on too many things...if you do, you wont' do any of them well.

Got my hour of running in this afternoon. It's officially summer here in South Cackalacky...86 degrees felt like 100. My pace is SO slow compared to where I was 3 months ago before my marathon. Shame on me for bailing on the running for 2 months post marathon.
2013-05-22 7:45 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Jamie.

I think that is a brilliant response. Improvement in triathlon can be a glacially slow process. I just have to have faith that if I follow the program that I will make progress. I have spent months at a time at almost complete standstill when it comes to improvement only to make a big leap in a week. I have never really felt myself getting faster on the run but I am running faster now in a half marathon than I used to in a 5K. Swimming is the most frustrating of all. I want to improve. I want to be faster. I have swam hundreds of hours for only a few seconds improvement in my 100 times. It makes me crazy. But, if I wasn't working at it and getting those few seconds faster, I would certainly be getting more than a few seconds slower.

Suzy.

I truly feel your pain on the swim progress. Sometimes I want to become a duathlete or even a single sport runner but somehow the challenge of improving in something that I am so bad at keeps me working away. I just have faith that more swimming is good. Even if I am not able to concentrate on form during THIS workout, the time in the water has to be making some difference, right?

I am headed up to Northern MI (probably about the same latitude as Northern WI) for the weekend. I think I will bring my wetsuit along but I can't imagine that the water will be warm enough to spend more than a few minutes in it. I will get in some good biking and running while I am up there.

That's funny. I have thought more than once that I could be a more competitive AG'er if I were strictly a duathlete. I keep thinking that if I was able to get over my fear of water after nearly drowning in HI, I will eventually have a break-through in the H20. It isn't for lack of trying or having qualified coaches work with me. So many people tell me I need to feel the H20 and I haven't found it. While most of you are agonizing over achieiving that <1:30/100, I am struggling to hit 2:00/100 in the pool. Enough boo-hooing.

We arrived in MInocqua. It is a balmy 51F and our water temp is 46F. If I can get the wetsuit on without killing the ribs I'll jump in for good measure and swim a few strokes. Maybe I'll actually feel that water!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88