of 41

2013-07-28 9:45 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by PsyTri Birthday rest acceptable, but don't let it happen again this year. Birthday? Does that mean you get to jump up age groups? That would be nice! Competitive advantage being youngest in your age bracket?

Thanks everyone!  My birthday was actually Thursday but work has been very stressful lately so we're more celebrating this weekend.  Besides, my wife usually claims her birthday lasts a week, I'm just claiming a weekend.

I turned 31, so no, not entering a new age group.  And I'm not really convinced the 35-39 age group is significantly less competitive than the 30-34 age group.  Though I really have no reason for thinking that.  I do envision the 25-29 age group as more competitive than the 30-34 age group.  I think it's just the 2 in front instead of the 3. 

My wife claims a birthday month :-).

2013-07-28 11:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Happy Birthday Joe. I hope you enjoyed those pancakes. Enjoy the taper too. Will you do some form of carbo loading? That was my favourite part of tapering.

Speaking of tapering I think my body has embraced the taper and refuses to let it go. I went out today to try an easy 1st run after a week of rest and I couldn't run at all. I wound up walking most of the time. I'm planning to head out tomorrow for a long bike ride. I'm planning it to be an easy pace - no racing but then again I don't want it to take too long either.

I was hoping for good news from Kent. I hope he'll let us know how he is doing or feeling.
2013-07-28 11:15 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Happy Birthday Joe. I hope you enjoyed those pancakes. Enjoy the taper too. Will you do some form of carbo loading? That was my favourite part of tapering.

Speaking of tapering I think my body has embraced the taper and refuses to let it go. I went out today to try an easy 1st run after a week of rest and I couldn't run at all. I wound up walking most of the time. I'm planning to head out tomorrow for a long bike ride. I'm planning it to be an easy pace - no racing but then again I don't want it to take too long either.

I was hoping for good news from Kent. I hope he'll let us know how he is doing or feeling.

hi George

glad your recovering well. Theres a Kent at the ag 25-29 who only made it not even halfway the bike ride. If ever thats kent i am
just glad he is on dry land here the sag can get to him or atleast reach a rest stop hopefully he just hit the "wall" and nothing else.

2013-07-28 11:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by miche033Missed updating my stats on time. :P

Maybe I purposefully timed it :sneaky:

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-07-28 11:30 PM
2013-07-28 11:42 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by wenceslaszHappy Birthday Joe. I hope you enjoyed those pancakes. Enjoy the taper too. Will you do some form of carbo loading? That was my favourite part of tapering.Speaking of tapering I think my body has embraced the taper and refuses to let it go. I went out today to try an easy 1st run after a week of rest and I couldn't run at all. I wound up walking most of the time. I'm planning to head out tomorrow for a long bike ride. I'm planning it to be an easy pace - no racing but then again I don't want it to take too long either. I was hoping for good news from Kent. I hope he'll let us know how he is doing or feeling.
Thanks George. I'm not really into carbo loading, though I do get plenty of carbs on a regular basis. At some point this year I decided, or rather came to accept, that I was not going to be "competitive", in my 70.3 this year...I haven't gotten to train as much as I wanted, it's my first, and I had essentially no speed work, as I had to build up mileage to levels I've never done. Not that I'd podium even under the best circumstances (one never knows I guess), but my focus for this race has been just finishing. And I feel confident in that. Still aiming for sub 6 but I'll be happy with a finish. The point is, for a couple months now I've been more or less eating whatever I want. I don't go too overboard, I know what not to eat so I don't get heartburn and can't workout for instance, but generally if I want it I eat it. So I more or less see that continuing through taper.I'm thinking if I can keep up some semblance of this mileage through the offseason next year I can focus more on diet and discipline in sticking to a schedule, and be able to add in speed work and what not, and maybe actually try to get on a podium. Who knows. For now I'm just lazily having fun.
2013-07-29 9:24 AM

User image

Thanks George. I'm not really into carbo loading, though I do get plenty of carbs on a regular basis. At some point this year I decided, or rather came to accept, that I was not going to be "competitive", in my 70.3 this year...I haven't gotten to train as much as I wanted, it's my first, and I had essentially no speed work, as I had to build up mileage to levels I've never done. Not that I'd podium even under the best circumstances (one never knows I guess), but my focus for this race has been just finishing. And I feel confident in that. Still aiming for sub 6 but I'll be happy with a finish. The point is, for a couple months now I've been more or less eating whatever I want. I don't go too overboard, I know what not to eat so I don't get heartburn and can't workout for instance, but generally if I want it I eat it. So I more or less see that continuing through taper.I'm thinking if I can keep up some semblance of this mileage through the offseason next year I can focus more on diet and discipline in sticking to a schedule, and be able to add in speed work and what not, and maybe actually try to get on a podium. Who knows. For now I'm just lazily having fun.

Joe,

Nothing remotely "lazy" about what you are accomplishing and will accomplish come race day, but I'm glad you are having fun.

Staying focused on what "win" means on race day will definitely keep us all hungry and moving forward -- but I just get the sense that mental toughness is something that comes natural to you. Right?

2013-07-29 12:25 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by PsyTri Joe, Nothing remotely "lazy" about what you are accomplishing and will accomplish come race day, but I'm glad you are having fun. Staying focused on what "win" means on race day will definitely keep us all hungry and moving forward -- but I just get the sense that mental toughness is something that comes natural to you. Right?
I don't know about that, but I appreciate the kind words

2013-07-29 4:02 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
i need to get with my friends to help me overcome OWS panic.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-29 4:02 PM
2013-07-29 4:13 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt i need to get with my friends to help me overcome OWS panic. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3...
Hah, yeah that's an oldie but a goodie. 
2013-07-29 9:25 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys

Someone i told me i might find it useful in transitions:

just grabbed one at work.

(WP_000107.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
WP_000107.jpg (25KB - 18 downloads)
2013-07-29 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt Guys Someone i told me i might find it useful in transitions: just grabbed one at work.
I don't get it...

2013-07-29 9:51 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by strykergt Guys Someone i told me i might find it useful in transitions: just grabbed one at work.
I don't get it...

I guess when you got to go you got to go!
2013-07-30 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by strykergt
I don't get it...
I guess when you got to go you got to go!

There's always this: (advice for guys only, sorry)

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2006/01/23/how-to-pee-whilst-riding-your-bike/

2013-07-30 11:17 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by miche033

There's always this: (advice for guys only, sorry)

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2006/01/23/how-to-pee-whilst-riding-your-bike/

Yeah, I have never done that but I've anticipated that I may need to during my 70.3.  I sweat so much that no matter how much liquid I take in while biking even on my longest rides I haven't had to go.
2013-07-30 2:18 PM

New user

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe I guess the first bike cutoff is at the 56 mile mark by 1:30 (presumably EST), so he may be done at this point.
So joe Kent finished it???
No, I think he got taken off the course at the 56 mile point on the bike course.  If you don't reach that point by 1:30 PM EST you get stopped from continuing, and the results page says he hasn't reached that point yet.  It looks like just about everyone else in his age group has passed the 56 mile mark.  Hopefully he's ok.

Got back from LP last night, didn't have internet there so I'm slow to post. Thanks for the support everyone, as you guys guessed I missed the 1:30 cut-off (by 3 minutes, and I was the last swimmer in the water). Sort of a race report that I posted in the clyde board below:

Unfortunately I DNF'ed at Lake Placid, but overall I am pretty satisfied and it was a positive experience.

The swim went really well, I wanted clean water so I was the last person to enter the water and I went wide, I unintentionally slowly moved closer to the line and it got pretty jammed up at the turn around, even though I went wide, the swim back on the first loop was really congested and a ton of faster swimmers were lapping us, I got banged around pretty good and was worried that I was super slow/going to miss cut-off, got out of the water to see that I had done the first lap in ~50 minutes, so I was super happy about that (10 minutes per lap faster than the last time I did the distance in the pool). Lap 2 was great, nice and calm and had my own water most of the time, I tried to stay on the wire and it was busy and people kept stopping etc. so I just went wide again, finished the swim in just under 1:40, more than 20 minutes faster than I had done the distance in the pool.

I know some of the additional speed is from having a wetsuit and some is from not having to turn around at walls, but I can't help but think maybe I should have tried to taken it easier and left more gas in the tank for the rest of the race.

T1 was ~12 minutes, which is fine, I walked up to transition, some people were sprinting by me, which I can't imagine is smart... took my time and mentally prepared for the bike.

Bike: wow, LP is hard, there isn't a ton of hills around me, so I just plain wasn't ready for it, everyone talks about the bears, but that first hill is INTENSE. Descent into Keene is the most fun I have ever had on a bike, the rollers killed me and by the 50k mark I knew I was going to be in trouble for the cut-offs. By 70k I had taken a couple of breaks and was pretty sure I was going to miss the lap 1 time. I thought about mailing it in at one of the aid stations but instead I took a couple minutes, drank another bottle of water and said to myself, I don't care if I miss the cut-off I am NOT getting sagged back into town, I'm going to give it everything I have until they tell me I can't bike anymore.

I attacked the bears, to be honest they weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. the only reason I could distinguish the first two bears from the rest of the rollers was because there was chalk on it. Papa bear was noticeably steeper, but the crowd was awesome, very cool experience, I was worried I would have to walk it, but I made it up! Hammered into town and missed the cut-off by 3 minutes, I was actually pretty surprised because I thought I would have missed it by a lot more. Even if I had made it, I would have had to do lap 2 an hour faster than the first lap, but it was disappointing to be so close.

So at the end of the day I did a 3.8km swim and a 90k bike, a long way from an IM but a good training day. I learned my lesson about how much further I have to go, but it was a great experience to be part of everything. I am hoping to do a local event this season so I can finish a race. It will be a couple of years before I give it another shot, but I know I WILL BE BACK. My GF (sorry fiance as of this weekend, another reason why I can't complain about the weekend!) has already told me that it was amazing to see the spectacle of the IM and asked me when I wanted to sign up for the next one and that she wants to do some of the training with me and be more supportive.
2013-07-30 3:48 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Good job Kent!!!

We were all just glad you came out ok and on dry land. DNFs i what will make you stronger. I was just wondering why take two you years to get back.
I believe with the swim part you got down, you just need to work on your bike and run. Here in Texas I always see IM trainees hop off the bike after a century ride to run/walk and run/walk for 26 miles. It just a matter of time Kent your young and strong.

I am sure after this one you can bag HIM after HIM.

Goodluck on your next one!!!

Cheers

Carl

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-30 3:48 PM

2013-07-30 3:55 PM

New user

Good job Kent!!!

We were all just glad you came out ok and on dry land. DNFs i what will make you stronger. I was just wondering why take two you years to get back.
I believe with the swim part you got down, you just need to work on your bike and run. Here in Texas I always see IM trainees hop off the bike after a century ride to run/walk and run/walk for 26 miles. It just a matter of time Kent your young and strong.

I am sure after this one you can bag HIM after HIM.

Goodluck on your next one!!!

Cheers

Carl

Thanks for the encouragement, couple different reasons for not going for it next year, the next year will be busy because will have to plan wedding etc. With travel plans that we want to do I don't think I would have enough vacation days to do an IM. Cost is also an issue. It is also tough because most IM races you have to register for a year in advance/volunteer at.

I really want to focus on getting my weight down and being healthier for a while rather than pure IM training. I'm also looking forward to doing some shorter tri's and building up to the IM distance.
2013-07-30 5:54 PM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Master
St. Louis
Nice job Kent and congrats on being engaged, specially to a supportive fiancé! Love your positive attitude about the race too.
2013-07-30 5:54 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Nice job Kent and congrats on being engaged, specially to a supportive fiancé! Love your positive attitude about the race too.
2013-07-30 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by kent2233 Got back from LP last night, didn't have internet there so I'm slow to post. Thanks for the support everyone, as you guys guessed I missed the 1:30 cut-off (by 3 minutes, and I was the last swimmer in the water). Sort of a race report that I posted in the clyde board below...
Congrats on the engagement, and congrats on giving IMLP your best.  Glad to hear you're not discouraged and I think you've got a great plan.  
2013-07-30 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by kent2233I really want to focus on getting my weight down and being healthier for a while rather than pure IM training. I'm also looking forward to doing some shorter tri's and building up to the IM distance.
That's a great attitude to have.  I think it's worth noting that just because the sprint, oly, and HIM distances are shorter than IM, they are still great accomplishments.  Keep an open mind and you may find that you really like the sprint, oly, or HIM.  Jumping up from shorter distance to longer distance gives you a better judgement of how much training you're really willing to commit to and what you can do with that time.  I've done a couple sprints and a couple olys, and I'm doing my first HIM in a couple weeks...I'm excited about having done a HIM but frankly I really like the oly distance and long term that distance will probably be my focus.

2013-07-30 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Great job, Kent! Great attitude and plan. And congrats on the engagement! Try a sprint or oly; you'll love it. And a great way to get training in the meantime.

-R

2013-07-30 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Anyone have experience with stress injuries? I have a twinge on the top of my foot after a long run, again, and I'm a little nervous about it...
2013-07-30 11:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Glad to hear from you Kent. Congratulations on your engagement. It sounds like you've got a great supportive fiancé.

Sorry about the DNF but your swim sounds like it was really a pretty positive experience.
When we were worried about you I looked up the course maps for the bike and it looked like there was a lot of climbing so if you weren't prepared for the hills it would be pretty hard.

You've got a great attitude and a good plan. Keep working out and by all means try a Sprint or two. They're fast and fun. For me, for now, I'm thinking Olys and HIM. Lots of fun and a good challenge plus that same great camaraderie and sense of accomplishment. I have the time to train for an IM but I'm not sure I'd be willing to make that much of a commitment.

I hope you'll get in an event or two in this season so we can read your race reports.
2013-07-30 11:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by miche033

Anyone have experience with stress injuries? I have a twinge on the top of my foot after a long run, again, and I'm a little nervous about it...

Its very hard to make a guess about what you're feeling but if you haven't had any incident of injury to cause a problem then it would most likely be a non-issue and resolve itself. (a guess on my part based on you describing it as a "Twinge" although you do say "again" so you do have to rule out an overuse injury).

If it has been coming on for awhile and/or is worsening then maybe you should get it checked out. If it was a sharp pain I'd get it checked out ASAP. Perhaps you could take a running rest for a couple days then try an easy run again and see if it is still there.

I hope it is just a nuisance ache.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41