BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-02-25 10:46 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED
Great job Helen! Looks like you are on a roll.
Originally posted by mtrunner6

Last week was pretty solid all told my numbers are, swim: 10,400 yds, bike: 6hr30 min, run: 3hr 45mins with 2 strength training sessions. This week is off to a rough start, so here's hoping I can turn it around. Also I finally got my bike fit done so I get to start riding my first TT bike ever! I hope everyone has a great week!

P.S. random question (ulterior motive, long ride coming up this weekend) everyone's favorite tv series or movies to watch while on the trainer?

Helen

2014-02-26 1:39 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
WOW NICE WORK

Just started watching breaking bad - sure helped my 3 hour trainer ride last weekend.

KC

Last week was pretty solid all told my numbers are, swim: 10,400 yds, bike: 6hr30 min, run: 3hr 45mins with 2 strength training sessions. This week is off to a rough start, so here's hoping I can turn it around. Also I finally got my bike fit done so I get to start riding my first TT bike ever! I hope everyone has a great week!

P.S. random question (ulterior motive, long ride coming up this weekend) everyone's favorite tv series or movies to watch while on the trainer?

Helen
2014-02-26 1:40 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

Week got off to a slow start but hope to build it back up with a nice run this evening.

Hope everyone is doing well.

KC
2014-02-26 2:54 PM

User image

Regular
Slow start for me as well. I missed my masters swim last night....

Todd
2014-02-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Man...it must be going around. I am having a hard time this week, super low motivation and I just feel fatigued. I am going to force myself to go to the pool though, I know I will feel better after. This too shall pass! (if all else fails, blame it on the weather).

Helen
2014-02-26 5:44 PM

User image

Regular
Helen...for me, I think it is the weather and a slight case of burn out

Going to cycling class tonight!

Todd

2014-02-26 7:13 PM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Originally posted by IceManScott

Originally posted by pnwdan

Hello Team RFP,

I need some advice. I have the opportunity to run in a half marathon in 2 weeks but I'm not sure if I should risk it. With my sore ankle in late Jan and travel in early Feb I missed my volume targets for a month.

Mid November to mid January -- 15 miles per week
Mid January to mid February -- 5 miles per week
Last week -- 18 miles

My runs are around 4 miles and my ankle feels normal now. I think I could safely do 20 miles this week before tapering, but my long run would only be 8 miles. Is that enough, or is the gulf between 8 and 13.2 too large? Goal is to run the entire half mary and enjoy it.

Then run/walk if you have to... The suggestion is we work to a long run one mile at least longer than the race. Run coaches use that even for marathons for lordy sake. Why? I do not know. But if you are not too committed to PR, what the hell. Go get the shirt. Just run walk. The proviso is if you are hurt in any way, forget it. Not worth hurting yourself on a B race this early on. I'm assuming you've done halfs before and know the drill and distance.

This is more of a C race for me. I've never raced a half marathon so this would definitely be a PR :-) I'm still on the fence, leaning towards not going. The tapering and recovery will mess with my training.

I did get a new PR in the pool. I swam a 100 (y) in 1:27. That's my first time swimming 100y in less than 1:30. Woohoo!
2014-02-26 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Man...it must be going around. I am having a hard time this week, super low motivation and I just feel fatigued. I am going to force myself to go to the pool though, I know I will feel better after. This too shall pass! (if all else fails, blame it on the weather).

Helen

You have been training really hard. Feel good about that. Listen to your body. If you are tired, rest.
2014-02-26 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4920811

User image

Also having a slow week. Got 1800 yards in the pool yesterday. Up to 250 on the continuous freestyle. Almost there
2014-02-26 9:56 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Regular
Progress is good, my friend!

Good job!
2014-02-27 10:08 AM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I'll buck the trend and say I'm having a great week. Thanks to my new running pants, jacket, and shoes I can comfortably run in the rain, so I'm now on day 9 of SBR.

2014-02-27 10:28 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I am finishing up my workout week in a bit with an intense bike. I've done 4000 in the pool, 5X bike including 3 intense, 1 recovery, 1 long and 3X run with 2X on the treadmill for 45 minutes for hills and sped and one time outside mentoring the running club group. It was 10 below with the wind chill. Blah. More winter coming Sunday. It will not quit. Endurance will take some time when the thaw gets here but so what? It is what it is. Life is sweet.
2014-02-27 10:43 AM

User image

I'll buck the trend and say I'm having a great week. Thanks to my new running pants, jacket, and shoes I can comfortably run in the rain, so I'm now on day 9 of SBR.

NICE!!! Gotta love new gear. Plus, running in the rain always makes me feel like I a total badass (maybe it's just me, hahaha).Thanks for the motivation, I will carry that attitude into my workouts today!
2014-02-27 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I think (hope) I am on the other side of this, too. I have been getting the majority of my workouts done, though skipping some swimming :-/ as it's just so cold and I'm fed up with a pile of long frozen hair going to my car afterwards lol but other than that I feel pretty good. My back injury is so much better, so I'm back running and riding as before. Home life is a bit bonkers right now, so my workouts are a fabulous escape. Now if I could just find spring!!

As I type this it's just started freaking snowing again. Enough already!
2014-02-27 8:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bike I borrowed to use for my tri fell thru (needed a lot of work and was about 25 years old). I haven't been able to find a rental. I did find a Trek 1.5 2012 model on craigslist for $550. It is 58cm. I'm 5' 9.5" with a 32" inseam. Think this will work? It would come with clips and shoes (half a size to big) or should I just buy a Trek 1.1 new (last years model) for a hair under $700 and have it fitted.

Nate

Edited by nrpoulin 2014-02-27 8:12 PM
2014-02-27 10:48 PM

User image

Regular
Nate,

I will let Scott chime in on this one, as I am no bike expert

3.7 mile tempo run, some core, and 2300 yards in the pool tonight. Good to be back at Masters Swim!

Looking forward,

Todd

2014-02-28 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Team,

I am having an interesting year, one I already do not like. I guess since I am not really racing this year I have gotten relaxed and lack of focus with training. I am now wondering if I am over booking myself thinking since I don't need to train like I use to I will do more work, work.....While before I figured out how to balance it. Then again since I don't have to report back to anyone (coach) I can skip a workout here etc.

I do have a 10 mile race coming up in April that I feel like I am training well for that. Then I have an Olympic tri in June and I don't feel ready for that at all. I will have to find a time to get back in that pool.

Thank you for letting me rant.

Hope everyone has a great weekend,
Kathy
2014-02-28 1:32 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
DAN - wow that is fast - nice work. What are you trying to do when you swim that fast? Are you thinking technique? Body position? Breathing? That's fast dude - nice work.

KC

Hello Team RFP,

I need some advice. I have the opportunity to run in a half marathon in 2 weeks but I'm not sure if I should risk it. With my sore ankle in late Jan and travel in early Feb I missed my volume targets for a month.

Mid November to mid January -- 15 miles per week
Mid January to mid February -- 5 miles per week
Last week -- 18 miles

My runs are around 4 miles and my ankle feels normal now. I think I could safely do 20 miles this week before tapering, but my long run would only be 8 miles. Is that enough, or is the gulf between 8 and 13.2 too large? Goal is to run the entire half mary and enjoy it.

Then run/walk if you have to... The suggestion is we work to a long run one mile at least longer than the race. Run coaches use that even for marathons for lordy sake. Why? I do not know. But if you are not too committed to PR, what the hell. Go get the shirt. Just run walk. The proviso is if you are hurt in any way, forget it. Not worth hurting yourself on a B race this early on. I'm assuming you've done halfs before and know the drill and distance.

This is more of a C race for me. I've never raced a half marathon so this would definitely be a PR :-) I'm still on the fence, leaning towards not going. The tapering and recovery will mess with my training.

I did get a new PR in the pool. I swam a 100 (y) in 1:27. That's my first time swimming 100y in less than 1:30. Woohoo!
2014-02-28 1:34 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Nate - buy the bike

KC

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Bike I borrowed to use for my tri fell thru (needed a lot of work and was about 25 years old). I haven't been able to find a rental. I did find a Trek 1.5 2012 model on craigslist for $550. It is 58cm. I'm 5' 9.5" with a 32" inseam. Think this will work? It would come with clips and shoes (half a size to big) or should I just buy a Trek 1.1 new (last years model) for a hair under $700 and have it fitted.

Nate
2014-02-28 1:34 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Way to get it done Todd.

KC

Originally posted by ettringite23

Nate,

I will let Scott chime in on this one, as I am no bike expert

3.7 mile tempo run, some core, and 2300 yards in the pool tonight. Good to be back at Masters Swim!

Looking forward,

Todd
2014-02-28 1:36 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Rant away KTC - I love ranting - I am about to go on one

You will be ready for the Oly and you will find the time.

KC

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Hi Team,

I am having an interesting year, one I already do not like. I guess since I am not really racing this year I have gotten relaxed and lack of focus with training. I am now wondering if I am over booking myself thinking since I don't need to train like I use to I will do more work, work.....While before I figured out how to balance it. Then again since I don't have to report back to anyone (coach) I can skip a workout here etc.

I do have a 10 mile race coming up in April that I feel like I am training well for that. Then I have an Olympic tri in June and I don't feel ready for that at all. I will have to find a time to get back in that pool.

Thank you for letting me rant.

Hope everyone has a great weekend,
Kathy

2014-02-28 1:43 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

Been a busy week - started slow but is finishing decently. Got to pool early for my swim this morning but the life guard decided to sleep in She showed up 20 minutes late so I did not get all 3000 meters in but I managed to RFP and get 2600 in . Although, it was a tough 2600 - felt lethargic and week but I know why - I started doing some strength training again last night. I have this real cool home gym and promised myself yesterday I was going to get back on it at least twice a week so I set up a quick circuit after my trainer ride - which worked out great - chest, shoulders, lats, triceps, biceps, squats and calf raises followed by some planks. It take me about 20 mins to complete the circuit 3 times so it should work out good if I stay with it that is lol.
It may not be much but let me tell you I felt it this morning in that pool

I also got my 70 minutes run in on the mill - I would kill right now for an outside run but until this winter moves over for spring, thank god I made the decision to purchase the treadmill this winter.

Long trainer ride tomorrow and I will cap off a week that started slow but got better everyday - except if you want to count the 2 trips to the dentist (having some dental issues) which are not fun but that is a story for next week.

Stay safe team and thanks to everyone for stopping in to say hello. Lets cross our fingers and say a prayer that the weather will start to change for all of us real soon.

KC
2014-02-28 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Nate

I ride a 57-58 and I'm 6 feet. So I think that might be big. If you can, go with the one they can fit you on, the new one. At the very least BEFORE you buy something on line, go to an LBS and ask them to fit you on a bike so you know what size you are.
2014-03-01 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
Way to get it done KC!
2014-03-01 6:27 PM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nate

I ride a 57-58 and I'm 6 feet. So I think that might be big. If you can, go with the one they can fit you on, the new one. At the very least BEFORE you buy something on line, go to an LBS and ask them to fit you on a bike so you know what size you are.

I am agreeing with the Iceman. Go to a LBS to have them fit you. For my first road bike I got (can't remember the size) but I was on the end of fitting it. My measurements said I would fit but I didn't feel like I was balance on it as my seat post was all the way up. On the next bike I went up a size and felt better on it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 30515 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.