BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: Craftyviking

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Originally posted by Craftyviking Now that I am back home I am getting very ready to start training for real. Did a long run yesterday of 8km and today I have a short bikeride on the plan. The trip was both great and not great. I ran quite a bit and saw a fair bit of Riga, also I got some inspiration from one of my danish collegues who is training for his first ironman in 5 weeks. The down side was that I didn't run as much as I wanted as high heels every day did its number on my ankles. As mentioned I had a lot of good beer, particulary a nice honey beer at this medival inspired place in the old town. I also have 3 bottles of Nøgene Ø IPA that I got in the duty free. It happens to be one of my favorite beers. Oh and on Wednesday I will be skipping training. Because I will be at a Brewing course. Well that is if they got my signing up.

A brewing course is an allowable excuse for missing a training session!

2014-06-16 8:46 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well a lacklustre end of the training week due to:

a)birthday

b)wife had an out of town tri race

c)father's day

d)lazy

Did manage to go for a great bike Saturday afternoon though.

Sunday morning went out for brekkie followed by a mountain bike ride with my family!

Forced myself out for a swim this morning. Run scheduled for lunch.

Sitting at 18/28(19 with my lunch run)

2014-06-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Jeakins Well Earned Treat! Gas Lamp Seasonal! Sadly only available at one of "Calgary's Best Pubs" I had it at the Seanachie.

Seanachie? brewpub? geez, I have to get to Calgary more often!!

Yes the pub is called the Seanachie. Part of a group of 6 pubs in Calgary. They aren't brew pubs but a "local" brewery makes special batches for them. I suspect this is Big Rock Brewing but they won't say.
2014-06-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm back from the north and even got a run in. it rained the whole time so I luged my bike and gear up for no reason, but hey I got a good run in the rain. on the bright side my daughter (5) also asked to do a run to train for her first kids tri. Got in a great bike today and saw chiropractor to resolve the back pain.

I also had a great local IPA from a local brewery in Lake George

Scott

PS I lost count so ill go back and add up my workouts.

Edited by b2b14 2014-06-16 12:54 PM
2014-06-16 1:49 PM
in reply to: Qua17

Bismarck, ND
I really need to work on my swim.

Anyone do any "strictly open water" workouts? I have limited access to a pool but have a lake in my back yard. I haven't been "taught" how to do the freestyle since swimming lessons as a child. I know technique is super important. Not sure how to work on technique in a lake.

Any suggestions?
2014-06-16 3:25 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, Vermont
Was the beer from Davidson's or Adirondack Brewer by any chance?
You were about 2 hours from me down there.
Cheers,
Jenn

2014-06-16 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Weekend wrapup:

Saturday: 22 mile bike ride

Sunday: 8 mile run.

Monday: 1000m swim

On Sunday I rented a SUP (Stand Up Paddle-board) and gave paddle boarding a try. Conditions were good to start and I met up with my OWS group at our usual starting buoy. The more adventurous swimmers wanted to swim out to "Avila rock" since I was above the water and would be able to navigate them through and around the kelp beds. Being my first time on a SUP I agreed to go as far as I felt comfortable. We made it about half-way out there and the conditions started getting rough as the wind picked up and I no longer felt safe, especially for my first SUP outing. The swimmers agreed and headed back towards the pier and I tried my best to keep up with them however fighting the headwind slowed me down considerable and I cut back in towards the beach to hopefully get some shelter from the wind. The paddle back to the pier and the beach landing was a long and arduous battle against the headwind but I made it! Surprisingly I'm not as sore as I expected given the core workout I got while paddling.

This link is to the Garmin track I recorded on the water. If you zoom out a click you can see Avila Rock and where we turned around. So close yet so far away...

Edited by MOlsen 2014-06-16 3:43 PM
2014-06-16 4:40 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by SportzVision

OMG! Can 2014 get any worst...wait I am sure it can i do NOT want to test fate! So raising three girls has always been a challenge. As kids they were great and a lot of work but fun. then they became adults...don't get me wrong, they are hard workers and are still pretty good...well most of the time. Out of the three one (it can be any of the three), one always has to be my woe. This week it was my youngest. Last night my middle daughter came to me and told me, with a shaky voice and frightened eyes, that the youngest was having a miscarriage and needed me. They live together 70 miles from our home and the middlest was here to do laundry and spend time with the g-son. So I put my mom cape on and head out 10 at night to be with her. I spent the night, took the day off work and we strolled along the river most of the day. She dodged a bullet this time but we are also both still sad at the loss of a baby. My daughter is fine and as I type I can hear her laughing with her sisters in the living room; they are all here tonight, safe and sound. GWAD sometimes I wonder where we went wrong and then remember oh yeah they are adults and can make their own bad decisions.

Work sucks and I am beginning to dread going into the office. However, someone I worked with previously called me and asked if I would apply to be her boss. I did and I hope something comes along soon because I feel my season in my current position is quickly coming to an end. I love my work but I feel I am swimming against the current and when I swim with the current the tides change and I am going the wrong way again. Well gotta get to sleep alarm goes off in 3 hours. Prayers please.

Oh training, thats lost...well a good run and actual to goodness run without walking an entire 5K this week and yoga 2x. Other than that it was a bust. But no worries you know me the Queen of starting over! I start again tomorrow, shoes are packed plan in hand.

Wow, hope your she (and you) are feeling better now!
2014-06-16 4:42 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

New user
Madrid
Ouch! Good thing is that surgery in that area is very rewarding....hope you heal quick, we are waiting for you here training! (and drinking!)

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

All it takes is not paying full attention, trying to clip back in, intersection, looking the wrong way, and taking one hand off the handle bars.  My season is over!  Surgery on Tuesday.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!!!

2014-06-16 7:56 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Was the beer from Davidson's or Adirondack Brewer by any chance?
You were about 2 hours from me down there.
Cheers,
Jenn

It was Adirondack. tried the amber and the IPA.
2014-06-16 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Oh birthdays and Father's day usually have a negative impact on training. . . but I did have a great time with family. Got back at it today with Rushfit this morning and a bike ride this afternoon. Need to get to the pool and get some laps in! Hope everyone is doing well.

2014-06-17 12:19 PM
in reply to: jlangene

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Finished my first Tri of the season on Sunday.  A little over a minute faster than last year.  I don't think I'm as well trained this year so shaving any time off is a plus.  It did make me realized how much work I have ahead of me to be ready for Augusta 70.3 in September.  It's good I have a few months still to train!

Had a Dogfish Head 90 min IPA as a celebration beer.  Good stuff!

2014-06-17 12:37 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by podemma

Finished my first Tri of the season on Sunday.  A little over a minute faster than last year.  I don't think I'm as well trained this year so shaving any time off is a plus.  It did make me realized how much work I have ahead of me to be ready for Augusta 70.3 in September.  It's good I have a few months still to train!

Great job! Race report??

Stay consistent on the training and you will do great!

2014-06-17 12:40 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

so how did like the paddleboard? Buying one soon? Have been pondering one for family but leaning towards a 2 man kayak...

Originally posted by MOlsen

Weekend wrapup:

Saturday: 22 mile bike ride

Sunday: 8 mile run.

Monday: 1000m swim

On Sunday I rented a SUP (Stand Up Paddle-board) and gave paddle boarding a try. Conditions were good to start and I met up with my OWS group at our usual starting buoy. The more adventurous swimmers wanted to swim out to "Avila rock" since I was above the water and would be able to navigate them through and around the kelp beds. Being my first time on a SUP I agreed to go as far as I felt comfortable. We made it about half-way out there and the conditions started getting rough as the wind picked up and I no longer felt safe, especially for my first SUP outing. The swimmers agreed and headed back towards the pier and I tried my best to keep up with them however fighting the headwind slowed me down considerable and I cut back in towards the beach to hopefully get some shelter from the wind. The paddle back to the pier and the beach landing was a long and arduous battle against the headwind but I made it! Surprisingly I'm not as sore as I expected given the core workout I got while paddling.

This link is to the Garmin track I recorded on the water. If you zoom out a click you can see Avila Rock and where we turned around. So close yet so far away...

2014-06-17 12:43 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Expert
Originally posted by podemma

Outstanding! I look forward to reading the race report. And don't stress about the HIM. You have a ton of time to train and the race is more mental then physical. You could do it today if you really had to. (Thor told me that before I did my first and I didn't believe him at the time. Hard to admit that my Molson drinking friend was right )
2014-06-17 12:49 PM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Expert
Originally posted by brreems

I really need to work on my swim.

Anyone do any "strictly open water" workouts? I have limited access to a pool but have a lake in my back yard. I haven't been "taught" how to do the freestyle since swimming lessons as a child. I know technique is super important. Not sure how to work on technique in a lake.

Any suggestions?

I try to do an OWS at least 1x per week as part of my training and there are tons of benefits - the most important being the confidence it gives you when you swim in open water during a race. So, I would just dive right in and take advantage of the lake in your backyard. Also, I wouldn't worry about perfecting your stroke either. Sure, do a little reading to familiarize yourself with the basic elements and work on those. You will be able to fine tune as you go! Good luck and enjoy!

Dave

2014-06-17 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by brreems I really need to work on my swim. Anyone do any "strictly open water" workouts? I have limited access to a pool but have a lake in my back yard. I haven't been "taught" how to do the freestyle since swimming lessons as a child. I know technique is super important. Not sure how to work on technique in a lake. Any suggestions?
I try to do an OWS at least 1x per week as part of my training and there are tons of benefits - the most important being the confidence it gives you when you swim in open water during a race. So, I would just dive right in and take advantage of the lake in your backyard. Also, I wouldn't worry about perfecting your stroke either. Sure, do a little reading to familiarize yourself with the basic elements and work on those. You will be able to fine tune as you go! Good luck and enjoy! Dave

Technique is technique whether you are in pool or lake.

Swimsmooth.com is a pretty good resource with good animated demos.(at least last time I was there....)

2014-06-17 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
So much to tell the group. It was a busy weekend but here are the highlights:

On Friday I went out in the rain and was having a great ride until I rode through a puddle that turned out to be an enormous pothole. When my front tire blew - I just missed hitting a car as it passed me and the driver behind me was able to put on his breaks in time. While I was fine, the poor 17 year old girl who passed me had thought he had hit me and completely lost it. I got even more lucky when the owner of the house where the accident happened came out and offered to drive me the 20 miles home. Can't beat that kind of kindness.

On Saturday, more than 40 people ran with our family in a 5K race to raise money for the rehab hospital where my son recovered from his TBI ten years ago. It was awesome to have some many people come out in support and we raised more than 2,000 of the ten grand we pledged to raise this year. I used the race to complete an 11 mile long run I had begun earlier that morning and felt great despite the distance. The best part was my son's decision to cross the line on his own. When we asked if he wanted us to run with him, he replied, "No mom, I've got this."

On Sunday, I did a 85 mile ride that took over 11 hours to complete due to the fact that my training partner had 4 flat tires during the first 55 miles of the ride. It turned out he had a hole in the side of his tire.... So, after he gave up the ghost and drove me home, I was able to complete the ride by doing 20 miles. When I was done, I was beat. But I celebrated with a Jack's Abby Session Rye - so good!

Yesterday was a rest day. Then I woke up this morning and almost cried when I saw my training schedule for the week. I'm still tired and sore from the work from last week's workouts that I didn't think it would be possible to do almost 200 miles of biking this week. Luckily, I listened to Alex's "Rise and Shine video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzm6TEManmQ- on the way to my swim workout, which got me so fired up I did cry. I had a great swim "Suck it up Nancy Boy!" and then had a good PT session with my coach. It was like a gift from God. This afternoon, I've got a 45 mile ride planned. Should be a good time.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Dave
2014-06-17 2:26 PM
in reply to: thor67

Bismarck, ND
Thanks!

I will check it out. I think my kick is useless. I have used a kick board in the past and I move as fast as a snail.

I have fairly decent endurance. Especially for as little swimming as I have done. Just sick of being the last ones out of the water.
2014-06-17 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Honestly, my kick is probably just as bad. That being said, I swam swim club growing up and part of a year in college. For me, my kick is just there to stabilize and keep my back end from dragging me down. I prefer to think of it as "saving my legs" for the bike and run!

Like the bike you need to put in time in the water and practice technique.

Cheers!

Originally posted by brreems Thanks! I will check it out. I think my kick is useless. I have used a kick board in the past and I move as fast as a snail. I have fairly decent endurance. Especially for as little swimming as I have done. Just sick of being the last ones out of the water.

2014-06-17 3:53 PM

User image

Thanks!

I will check it out. I think my kick is useless. I have used a kick board in the past and I move as fast as a snail.

I have fairly decent endurance. Especially for as little swimming as I have done. Just sick of being the last ones out of the water.

WHAT.......Your suppose to kick, that's what I'm doing wrong

I too am one of the last out of the water. My issue is that in the ocean I fail to put my head in the water I swim "Tarzan" style. I don't do it in the pool but only open water.

2014-06-17 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Nice job on gutting it out on your training! Inspiring!

Great to see everyone out for the race Saturday! Even better hearing about your son crossing the line on his own!

4 freakin' flats?? Sheesh, that sucks for him and you!

Funny, I just had a flat at lunch about 10 minutes into my ride. chunk of metal impaled in by tire...good thing I checked...

Keep up the good work!

Originally posted by Qua17 So much to tell the group. It was a busy weekend but here are the highlights: On Friday I went out in the rain and was having a great ride until I rode through a puddle that turned out to be an enormous pothole. When my front tire blew - I just missed hitting a car as it passed me and the driver behind me was able to put on his breaks in time. While I was fine, the poor 17 year old girl who passed me had thought he had hit me and completely lost it. I got even more lucky when the owner of the house where the accident happened came out and offered to drive me the 20 miles home. Can't beat that kind of kindness. On Saturday, more than 40 people ran with our family in a 5K race to raise money for the rehab hospital where my son recovered from his TBI ten years ago. It was awesome to have some many people come out in support and we raised more than 2,000 of the ten grand we pledged to raise this year. I used the race to complete an 11 mile long run I had begun earlier that morning and felt great despite the distance. The best part was my son's decision to cross the line on his own. When we asked if he wanted us to run with him, he replied, "No mom, I've got this." On Sunday, I did a 85 mile ride that took over 11 hours to complete due to the fact that my training partner had 4 flat tires during the first 55 miles of the ride. It turned out he had a hole in the side of his tire.... So, after he gave up the ghost and drove me home, I was able to complete the ride by doing 20 miles. When I was done, I was beat. But I celebrated with a Jack's Abby Session Rye - so good! Yesterday was a rest day. Then I woke up this morning and almost cried when I saw my training schedule for the week. I'm still tired and sore from the work from last week's workouts that I didn't think it would be possible to do almost 200 miles of biking this week. Luckily, I listened to Alex's "Rise and Shine video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzm6TEManmQ- on the way to my swim workout, which got me so fired up I did cry. I had a great swim "Suck it up Nancy Boy!" and then had a good PT session with my coach. It was like a gift from God. This afternoon, I've got a 45 mile ride planned. Should be a good time. Hope everyone is doing well! Dave

2014-06-17 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by b2b14
Originally posted by brreems Thanks! I will check it out. I think my kick is useless. I have used a kick board in the past and I move as fast as a snail. I have fairly decent endurance. Especially for as little swimming as I have done. Just sick of being the last ones out of the water.
WHAT.......Your suppose to kick, that's what I'm doing wrong I too am one of the last out of the water. My issue is that in the ocean I fail to put my head in the water I swim "Tarzan" style. I don't do it in the pool but only open water.

had a swim coach how would walk along with a pole...would poke you in the back of the head if you lifted it up...back in the days when you could get away with that.

2014-06-17 8:27 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks!

I'm with Thor - I don't spend a whole lot of time working on my kick - I just take what I get. However - if I wanted to get faster in the pool - that's where I would start. I'm sure if you were to work on it and get some help from a video or two - you'd get better at it.
2014-06-17 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
Rode 45 this afternoon. I learned 2 things: 1) I sweat a lot more than I thought I did. Back in May, I did a sweat rate test when temps were in the 70's and I was losing 23 oz and hour. When I did the test today with the temps hitting 85 - my rate had gone up to 37 oz. No wonder I've felt dehydrated. 2) I still need to eat more. I had my 3 meals and my snacks as well as my 300 calories per hour on the ride and I still finished in negative calories. Not even close to breaking even. I'll try again tomorrow but clearly, I need to eat and drink more! Better to learn these things now rather than in the ironman...

On a positive note, I took a look at the mapmyrun info and was pleased. My 45 mile ride, which is about 40% of IMMT's distance, chalked up 2500 feet of elevation gain, which is 70% of the IMMT's total. The good news - I was able to maintain my goal pace on a course that was a lot harder than the one I will be facing in 62 days...

Edited by Qua17 2014-06-17 8:47 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51174 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19852 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.