BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-07-01 10:48 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
...this is barb...under mike's screenname...

sheesh.

2007-07-02 12:07 AM
in reply to: #868260

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Barb Signs up for Florida 70.3 2008
You ANIMAL!!!!

You go girl!

Rich
2007-07-02 10:05 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hi Everyone!  What a busy week.  I just got caught up on the thread.  So much can change in a short time!  Welcome, Felipe!  Nice to have some young meat, I mean young blood in our group!  I've been on vacation with my kids, mom, neighbor (training partner), her kids and her mom...Let's just say, I need a vacation from my vacation!  We spent a week in Vail.  Just beautiful.  Kat, we avoided all the rain in Texas last week.  I'm so glad you're okay.  I was thinking of you.  Anyways, I was able to get 2 runs in...one short, one long.  Not sure of distance though, but lots of hills!  My partner did the Vail pass on a mountain bike.  I wanted to go, but wouldn't be on my own bike.  I would have had to use a mountain bike and I wasn't sure I could get up the mountain without dying!  Anyways, next time, I'm riding the pass too! 

Let's keep our group going...PLEASE!!!  My next race is a 25K run at midnight on July 15.  Then I have my sprint tri in Oct.  I would like to find something for Sept.  So I need you people to help me through the next few months of training.  I begin my tri swim lessons next week. 

All this talk of Ironman!!!  Wow!  I'm just thinking a OLY for spring '08.  Maybe a 1/2 Ironman in the fall '08.  You people...

Christine, good luck on your move!  Rich, just a few weeks until your "A" race...how exciting!  (Thanks for the story...inspiring!)  I bought a shirt this week that says "Run your Run"!  So true...it's not a competition between us, but for ourselves!  

Happy Monday!  

2007-07-02 2:32 PM
in reply to: #868660

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Welcome back Angela
Hey Angela:

Welcome back from vacation..... Vail is beautiful part of the country....... I'm kind of interested on how you do on your next couple of workouts...... coming from a higher altitude will give you a more rich oxygen level in your blood stream and provide you a better performance when you drop down to a lower altitude.

We are all here to cheer you on in the Olympic distance race, too!

Have a GREAT DAY!

Rich
2007-07-03 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Get Your Workout In!
Hey Everyone! Have a GREAT 4th of July and a SAFE one!

Don't forget to get your workout in early...... I know I will..... 110 in the shade today....

Swam this morning 2300 yds and am scheduled to cycle 90 minutes with hills tonight.....(maybe depending upon the heat!). It was 86 last night at 9:00 PM (fortunately no humidity ..... and absolutely no breeze!)

Tomorrow is a swim and a 30 minute run or 30 minute bike ride.....can't remember which. Private note to Caru: Now you know why the "Enhanced Memory Support"..... (I was talking with Caru about my vitamins and purpose of them..... teeheeteeeheee...)

Let's hear your plans...... and remember Barb has a race this weekend! WOOOOOOHOOOOO!

Rich
2007-07-03 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
GUYS!!!!! HAVEN'T HEARD MUCH from anyone, seems like Summer is taking charge!

Rich!! Sounds like an awesome plan for your 4th! Enjoy!!!! I will definately do some research on amino acids and vitamins. My spinn instructor just looked at me with this" ah, you are pathetic" face when we were going faster on the bike, and then said " are you taking your amino acids"? so I was a bit
confussed and surprised!!!! hahahahhaahah i felt like an old woman that forgot to wear her teeth or something!!!

This weekend Felipe is actually going to a race tomorrow in key west, a run. I am not joining him since i have to study!!! I will however, definately enjoy SBR, Im doing a "all disciplines tomorrow". I might ride later tonight since its a beautiful day!!! It's a bit hot! But hey thats why we have sweat glands right!!!

How is everyone doing?? Training? kids? nutrition??? BBQ anyone? hahahahahaha happy 4th!

ok, back to the books!

love ya all.

PS BARB YOU ARE GOING TO ROCK!!!!!! just remember YOU CAN DO IT!!!! you are an ace at clipping on, you have been running for a while,and I haven't heard you complaining about the swim, so you are a natural fishlike woman!!!! hehehe you will be fabulous....maybe a little drill tomorrow???

Edited by carustol 2007-07-03 1:28 PM

2007-07-03 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: Survived the move
We made it through the move - I am exhausted but managed to fit in two swims, a 2.6 mile run and a 26 mile bike ride in between the chaos of the move. I am JUST NOW back on line.

Must sleep soon... Go guys! Go!
2007-07-04 12:09 AM
in reply to: #871393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Survived the move
Hey Christine! Good for you! You survived the move AND got a couple of workouts in! Get some rest and enjoy the 4th of July!

Rich
2007-07-04 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Hope you guys have a great holiday and for those down south, get a break from the rain!

It is cloudy and cool here today with some drizzle (we have had terrific weather lately).

Today we will do the final phase of the move -- get the boat down here and move the last of the office.

I have the last of my OWS clinics this Sunday. I have a chunk taken out of the ball of my foot (moving injury) that really bothered me yesterday during my swim practice. Hopefully it will be significantly better by Sunday. Rich, should I bring something to clean it out immediately post swimming in the lake?
2007-07-04 8:59 AM
in reply to: #871637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Whew! I'm having a rough week so far.  I came down with a stomach bug on Sunday afternoon and I didn't feel totally healthy again until yesterday.  So I missed my workouts on Monday and Tuesday.  I was all set to go get my run in first thing this morning, but had a major emergency upend those plans.  My mother-in-law and her husband are here, and John (her husband) woke up with chest pains and other symptoms that made us suspect a heart attack.  We called an ambulance - he's at the hospital now.  It looks like it is not his heart (thank you, Lord!!) but they're still not sure what's wrong with him.  I'm praying that the blood tests they've taken will be clear and he'll be released soon, but in the meantime, my plans are obviously up in the air.  So...I will have to let you know my plans as soon as I know them! We're winging it for now....
2007-07-04 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Kat!! hang in there, we will all send good vibes your way! Glad its not the heart!
Sometimes your body just needs to rest a bit, you know? you'll get your workout in soon.

Cris- glad you are almost done!! see it wasn't that bad?! one more push and you are done!

I weent riding this morning, did some HILLS!!! yeah! its soo beautiful, i love riding there. There were a bunch of triathletes out there, so it was super fun!!! you can see the addictive bug in them!!!

Anyways, have a great fourth everyone!!!!

2007-07-05 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey folks!  I think the crazies are over for a little while at least....I'm over my stomach bug and actually went out for a run yesterday.  It's still been raining EVERY SINGLE STINKIN' DAY for the last two weeks, so I'll be on my bike trainer for my workout later this afternoon.  My husband's stepfather is still in the hospital, but we're hoping he'll be released to go home later today - he's completely fine, but they don't know what exactly happened to him.  I'm hoping for a more "normal" day today.

On the bright side, I did a weigh-in again, and I lost 8 pounds in the month of June!  That makes me very happy. I could be under 170 for the first time in eight years by this time next week! WOOHOO!   My run and my bike both feel faster/easier with the weight loss, so I have high hopes for my September and October races.

What's on tap for this weekend with everyone?  Barb, I know you have a race (YOU GO GIRL!!!) so I can't wait to hear how that goes! What is everyone up to?

2007-07-05 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Katz....YOU LOST 8 POUNDS!?!?!?!?! Hell yeah!!! That's awesome. No doubt you'll have that 170 in your grasp soon. Congratulations hun I hope you're feeling better, too. Stomach bugs are no fun.

Christine...fantastic job on your workouts.

And Caru...you may have spoken too soon. I did an OWS yesterday (my first...when it hasn't been storming like a mofo, the bacteria has been forcing the beaches to close for treatment)...swimming usually isn't an issue for me, in a pool. OWS is definitely tougher than I imagined it would be. I think my biggest beef was that I tried my husband's OWS goggles and every time I turned my head water would leak in. I couldn't get 10-15 strokes without having to stop to empty 'em. SO ANNOYING. Looks like Sunday I'll be sporting my traditional old speedos. I can only hope they don't get knocked off my face and sink to the bottom.

So here's my race plan for Sunday....

Pre-Race...Quadruple check my transition area. Hydrate. Try and find a quiet place to relax and not get too caught up with watching all of the other waves before me. Suck down a Gu before the first wave goes...try to hold down my breakfast (not sure if I ever mentioned this, but I get severe pre-race anxiety...doesn't matter what the distance is...for larger races, typically I throw up...Saturday evening and Sunday morning I will actually be taking some medicine for it...let's hope it helps).

Swim...position myself in the mid/back of pack, likely on the left side (easier for me w/ sighting and such) and just take it easy. If I have to take a break from freestyle I'll either backstroke or breast stroke.

T1...continue to hydrate...take my time to get everything in order for the bike portion...and start off slow right out of T1...

Bike...take it easy. Don't wear my legs out and just focus on staying moving and keeping my toes not numb. As much as I like coasting along without pedaling....this is not necessarily the time to go overboard on this front. Try to keep myself hydrated and stay around 12-13mph (which will be tough since I don't have a computer on my bike...but still). The course is flat and I know I'm not fast...so I'll relax and simply stay to the right.

T2...hydrate....maybe take another Gu if I feel I need it...and give my legs a minute or so break here.

Run...Take the approach of run a mile (approx 11:30ish pace) and walk 1 minute. Since it's only a 5k...depending how my legs are feeling, I may just run it all and only walk the water stops (though my typical method is the run 1 mile walk a minute thing). I'm not certain of the terrain, but I'll drive the course on Saturday and make adjustments as needed.

Finish...without injury and with a smile.  

Most importantly...do not focus on time. That is my biggest goal. If I'm last....I'm last. I just want to have a good time and get a time on the clock that I can try and beat later on. 

Hopefully all goes well...we'll just have to wait and see! 

The fact I'm signed up for a half IM next year is still sinking in. Caru, I think you should do this one with me since you're local and all. Mike and I have been looking into private coaching for a HIM program...any suggestions on what we should look for in a coach? Training throughout the winter here in Chicago will be a challenge for sure--weather is ridiculously unpredictable and how will our bodies adjust to such warm temps for race day?!

2007-07-05 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Oh...and I hope everyone had a fantastic fourth of july!!
2007-07-05 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Katz -- congrats on the 8 lbs! Good job and that's fantastic that you are feeling the effects already in your training.

Barb -- sounds like a good, solid plan. I did things very similarly and it worked out great. I had a great time at my race!

If I may -- As you are getting ready for your swim wave to start, I suggest you talk to people around you. It helped me tremendously to take my mind off stressing out and I had a great swim. Not fast, but enjoyable and fairly stress-free (which is a HUGE accomplishment for me).

MY TRAINING:
The first week of my new eating plan was the "detox" part. I lost 4 pounds! Eating well during the move week was tough but I am back on target (and managed not to gain any of that 4lbs back during the move).

My goal is to loose 10 more pounds by Steelman (5 weeks). Then another 15 after that.

Swim AM Friday
Bike / run Saturday before renovation work all day
OWS clinic with my brother Sunday. Bike afterwards.

Somehow I need to fit in a distance ride or two in the next week -- I am doing the American Cancer Society ride NEXT Sunday (70 miles) and the biggest distance I've done this year was only 40 miles!
2007-07-05 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Weightloss Working!
Hey Gang!

Great Job on weight loss and working your respective nutrition plans....... Keep it up! KAT...Awesome job on loosing 8 lbs. Christine.......Awesome job also on loosing 4 lbs. I'm sure we will hear about other results!

I'm on target for my 15% body fat by race day!!! Woooo Hooooo!

Keep on working it gang! Maybe we should approach someone to model triathlon apparel after we have met our respective goal weight! :P LOL!

Rich

2007-07-05 11:04 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Man, I swear, I'm gone 2 days and I can't keep up with this thread!!!  I'm just trying to stay afloat in FW!  I love the rain, but 2 weeks solid is enough.  I need some sunshine before serious depression sets in!    I'm trying to work out and stay on schedule, but it's challenging when the weather is crummy and the kids don't want to go to the gym childcare so I can run on the TM.  Hopefully next week will be better and I can get my workouts in.  My race is next weekend.  I just need to run.  I'm feeling a little sluggish.  Okay enough complaining from me...

Barb, Good luck with the tri this weekend.  You'll do great.  I found chatting with the people around me helpful too.  It kept my mind off of thinking too much about the race.  Sounds like you've really throught through your race with transitions and all.  Remember to smile as you cross the finish line.

Kat, congrats on the weight loss and I'm so glad to hear your crazy week is slowing down.  I hope the dr. can find out what's wrong with the step-dad so it doesn't happen again.

Caru, study hard...When's the test?  Christine, you rock for working out during a move...I would be so exhausted!  What are you renovating in new house?

Rich, I'm so excited to hear about your "A" race in a few weeks.  After my run next weekend, I'll need to really amp up my workouts for my next tri.  Rich, I may need you to help me device a good plan to get all the disciplines in during the week.  I'll ask you more about it in a few weeks.  Thanks

2007-07-05 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Dude.

Tonight was one of those runs where I vowed if I made it through I would never run again.

Ten miles from hell.

Seriously.

I just needed to state that. I mean...running is overrated, right?

Carry on, friends. Carry on.
2007-07-06 1:34 AM
in reply to: #873922

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Barb....We are your Cheering Section
Hey Barb!

Good Luck on your race this weekend! We are all behind you! Have a FUN time!

Rich
2007-07-06 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
ANGELA -- Hope things dry out for you guys soon! Training in the rain is a good thing to do, but after 2 weeks, I'm sure you have had MORE than enough. Bad weather is a drag for training.

ANDI -- We are keeping tabs on you via your blog -- get it girl!!! http://energyunplugged.blogspot.com

BARB -- You'll do great at your race this weekend! Think of us somewhere along the way -- cheering you on and with you in spirit.

Congrats Rich on you 15% body fat. Wow! We have to see a before and after for that one!

I am definately ready to get back to a regular training schedule for these last 5 weeks before my "A" race. I swam 40 full laps this morning! (2180 yards)

My husband seems very willing to let me continue to train and fit in helping with both properties as much as I can. What a relief. As long as I pitch in, I think a balance can be achieved.

Angela asked what renovations we are doing: complete renovation of the bathroom, new hot water heater, new baseboard heat in 2 rooms, re-paint 2 rooms, install all new windows, refinish the livingroom wood floor, landscaping...uh, I think that's everything. We hired someone to paint the exterior a new color. A pale sage with white trim and black raisin shutters. Can't wait to see how it looks!

So, yes people, in between that, I'm making my overweight, aged body train and race. So if I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT!!! ;-)
2007-07-06 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Comments from Rich
Hey Gang!

So we have Barb racing; I believe Felipe is racing also this weekend!

Christine, KAT, Angela, CARU and I are training!

Angela: I'd be more than happy to help you with a plan. As we go through the process, perhaps we can do some of our planning in the forum so that others can learn, too! There may be somethings you and I talk offline.....just give me a signal when you want to do that and I'm quite sure that everyone would respect your need to do so.

I hope Texas dries out soon.....we could take some of your rain here.....we have had all of about 2" of rain all year. We are in a 7 year drought cycle right now.....

On a personal training note: I am in my last week of the "hard training". 14 plus hours of training. I rode Wednesday and the heat did me in...... I was suppose to do a 30 minute bike ride and a 2 hour run last night. I did the 30 minute bike ride, but it became quite apparent that I had no legs at all! I got a 1 hour run in, but called it quits last night because of a) darkness and b) stumbling ......... I was cooked!!!!!!! So listening to my body.... I stopped.

Sometimes it is important to listen to your body..... this week I've already put 10 plus hours of training in the last seven days..... here is one of the benefits of a training log...... my last day off was June 27th....... should have taken a day off earlier to let the body recover more appropriately.

I share this info so you can learn too..... the logs can be very helpful to identify where things might have gone side ways or to see if your focus is appropriate!

Enough for now...... let me know if you have questions!

Rich

2007-07-06 12:48 PM
in reply to: #874446

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Subject: RE: Comments from Rich
Sorry I'm not in better touch at times, as you can see I go in spurts!

Good luck on your race, Barb!

Good luck on your last week of hard training, Rich! Glad to hear you are listening to your body. That is a valuable lesson you taught me early on, and it's one I will never forget.

I'll be training this weekend too, though after yesterday's training, I may not go as heavy as I would have. (I'm quite sore today!) I have my first race ever on July 22, just a little 5K run, but a good experience for me in getting into a racing environment. If I can keep pace around 11-11:30 mile, I'll be happy.

My swim coach in the Team in Training program gave me a good running tip yesterday to increase my speed. (Like Rich, she rocks as a coach. She is rather experienced in all three sports and has successfully completed a full ironman. She's quite the inspiration for me.) She suggested that I go to the track, warm up with a couple of laps, and then sprint a quarter mile as fast as I can. Then take the next lap slow. Then sprint, then slow, and so on. Perhaps I'll give this a try over the weekend. (I just hope I don't fall on my face again!)

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and that you are all STAYING HYDRATED in this hot weather!
2007-07-06 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: RICH
Wow, RICH! An hour run after a bike ride is nothing to sneeze at! I will have to check out your log to see more details about your upcoming race.

Do you do any other training besides bike, run, swim? Recommend anything specific for injury prevention?
2007-07-06 1:21 PM
in reply to: #874708

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Sorry Andi!
Hey Andi!

My apologies! I knew I was missing someone when I posted my group update! What your coach is talking about is a sprint workout..... it helps with increasing speed. There are different types of run workouts:

Cardio fitness - slow and low HR
Strides workout - to increase your stride length and feel race speed
Tempo - race pace or to feel a consistent race tempo
Sprints - to increase speed

These are all good types of workouts. When creating a workout plan, each workout should have a specific purpose. You have a wise coach Andi! Kudos!

Rich
2007-07-06 1:24 PM
in reply to: #874752

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Vineman 70.3
Hey Christine:

Here is the website to the Vineman 70.3 This is the race I'm doing. It is attracting 1800 racers. It is a qualifier for Kona, Hawaii!

http://www.vineman.com/index_main.php3?l=h

Rich
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46