BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-03-18 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1279498

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CONGRATS THE TERP!!!
pshorty - 2008-03-18 9:07 PM
TheMaz - 2008-03-18 9:18 PM

Phone call from Klarsfeld's Cycles across town this afternoon -- my bike is assembled and ready to go. I've gotta buy pedals and a rack for the car, but aside from that, the bike will be in my living room tomorrow. (Bad news: just in time for the snow thats beginning to fall. Good news: I have a four day weekend!)

Anyone want to weight in on the difference between plastic and carbon soles for bike shoes? Is the latter worth $50 more?

I have plastic. They are tri-shoes in that they just have the single strap. They are Pearl Izumi and for bike shoes they are extremely comfortable. For pedals I use Look el cheapos. They are a bit heavy but I didn't want to spend a lot when I got them thinking I would get better ones when I knew what I wanted. I like 'em though so I have kept them. Speedplays like Nathan would be nice and I understand that they are much better for your knees.

Oh yeah... let it be known there are definitely different levels of plastic and carbon.  If it's down to some shoe you've never heard of advertising it's carbon sole or a pair of plastic PIs, I'm going Pearl Izumi.  It's just a better shoe.

In the end, it's really going to come down to fit, much like running shoes.  Sidi makes some SWEET shoes, but I just cannot wear them.  Specialized, on the other hand, feels like they were custom made for my feet.  I would love to run in Brooks shoes, but the Mizunos I have just feel better.

Try on LOTS of shoes.

2008-03-19 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Regular
Ditto on what Bill said. Hopefully you have a chance to try on several pair. In the end, I think the most important factor is whether they are stiff (which they all will be) and whether they are comfortable. You can find this in the cheapest pair of shoes the store has if you are lucky.

That being said, I think my Pearl Izumi's are much more comfortable than they need to be. They feel like very sturdy well fitted slippers.

Incidentally, I am listening to Thurston Moore's new album and the exact second that I typed "pearl" in Pearl Izumi he said "pearl" in the song that was playing (Silver>Blue).

Weird, huh? It happens to me a lot. I wonder what it means.

2008-03-19 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
You could also go with tri-specific shoes but it is not at all necessary, IMO. The main difference is the strapping which should be a single strap that starts from the outside of the foot, goes over the top of your foot and attaches on the inside. The advantage comes in the first transition if you keep your shoes clipped to your pedals and do a running type of mount to your bike. It's then easier to get your foot in your actual shoe and get it strapped up, etc. Also, with the strap coming from the outside, it has less chance to get all mixed up in your chain, etc.

That being said, all last year I did running mounts and used a very basic specialized shoe with three straps and never had any problems. I got new shoes, though, because the specialized shoes were too big.
2008-03-19 9:33 PM
in reply to: #1279648

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Alright -- got the next part of the package: Sidi Titan 2's, half off list price. Right fit, right price -- and BLUE! Don't quite match the new wheels, but fit like a glove and they're my first pair of Italian leather shoes!

The plastic soles will have to do for now. Went and checked out my bike in the store today, and have an appointment to have it fit on Friday! I'm already thinking about the weekend. Anyone else have plans to get out on the road?

2008-03-19 10:28 PM
in reply to: #1282050

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
TheMaz - 2008-03-19 9:33 PM

Alright -- got the next part of the package: Sidi Titan 2's, half off list price. Right fit, right price -- and BLUE! Don't quite match the new wheels, but fit like a glove and they're my first pair of Italian leather shoes!

The plastic soles will have to do for now. Went and checked out my bike in the store today, and have an appointment to have it fit on Friday! I'm already thinking about the weekend. Anyone else have plans to get out on the road?

Paint the shoes white!!!!!

That is awesome.  I know how bad you're itching to get out there.

This weekend is all for college basketball.  The Mississippi State Bulldogs got Oregon on Friday night, and if they beat them then they have a shot at Memphis.  It'll be interesting since my fiancee's dad is a HUGE Memphis fan.

So how are the Terps doing in the NIT, Grace?

Other than that, I'm in the midst of my biggest training week to date, so Saturday will be full blown recovery.  I'm hoping the weather cooperates for a 30 mile Easter Sunday ride, though.

2008-03-20 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Snow banks are still 3 feet tall here, it`s cold and wet outside. SO no biking outside yet
I have my 30k race next weekend so I will be tappering this coming week. I know I can do the distance but I`m not sure about the time. I haven`t been able to run outside yet (I hate the cold) so I don`t have an accurate gauge on how far how fast. I hope to get outside twice next week ( its suppose to be +4 C (~40F) to get use to running on pavement and to run a 10 km to see what time zone I will be in. All my training this year so far has been according to my heart rate so it should be interesting to see if my times have improved. For the race I`m aiming for 2:20 to 2:25 thats were I want to be anyhow. I`II post my 10 km next week.

2008-03-21 8:21 AM

User image

Regular
Help me out, Nathan 'cuz I am American. 30k is about 147 miles, right?

Seriously, no one is racing this weekend, right?

Next weekend is a big one, though, with one 30k (roughly 147miles), 2 half-marathons, and a HALF IRONMAN!!! Am I missing anything?

-Paul
2008-03-21 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
lol, 30 km is 19 miles, sorry I usually put in both distances for you guys. Anyone else still have a crap load of snow?
2008-03-21 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1285596

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

natebs - 2008-03-21 2:08 PM lol, 30 km is 19 miles, sorry I usually put in both distances for you guys. Anyone else still have a crap load of snow?

Good luck to everyone on your races this weekend! Me, I'll be cuddled up with my new love:

Great Odin's Raven 

(fara3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fara3.jpg (49KB - 22 downloads)
2008-03-21 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1282101

User image

DC
sesh - 2008-03-19 11:28 PM

TheMaz - 2008-03-19 9:33 PM

Paint the shoes white!!!!!

That is awesome.  I know how bad you're itching to get out there.

This weekend is all for college basketball.  The Mississippi State Bulldogs got Oregon on Friday night, and if they beat them then they have a shot at Memphis.  It'll be interesting since my fiancee's dad is a HUGE Memphis fan.

So how are the Terps doing in the NIT, Grace?

Other than that, I'm in the midst of my biggest training week to date, so Saturday will be full blown recovery.  I'm hoping the weather cooperates for a 30 mile Easter Sunday ride, though.

Let's not talk about it.

Glad everyone is doing well. I went MIA for a few days because I'm in OREGON. It's so beautiful out here, so different from the east coast. We rented bikes and rode all over the cities for a few hours, and yesterday we hiked all over the beaches and woods and pretty much every nature trail we could find. Tomorrow we're doing the Columbia River Gorge.

Chris- beautiful bike!!!!!
2008-03-21 9:36 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Wow - next weekend IS going to be a big weekend of races!!!

I posted my bib number 1879. I guess you can get some info from Ironmanlive.com on race day.

Here are some other BT folks doing the same race. I posted my info there too.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2008-03-21 11:42 PM
in reply to: #1286676

User image

DC
wyndswept - 2008-03-21 10:36 PM

I posted my bib number 1879. I guess you can get some info from Ironmanlive.com on race day.

So exciting!!!! I've never finished a really big race, so I can't even imagine how you feel
2008-03-22 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
I need to vent...
I just finished my 10 km run outside. Yes I sucked it up and ran outdoors for the first time since Oct/Nov of 07. It was cold -4 (25 F) but I was dressed for it, I did warmed up after 7km as I had on two shirts a sweater and my running jacket. Also gloves, a hat and warm socks. This is good info for my race next week. I will however go with one less shirt.
As I started the run I wanted to maintain 80 avg with my heart rate. At the 2 km mark the band around my chest fell down and I could not get a reading for the rest of the run. I had too much clothing on to try to pull it up so I just left it. Then at km 3 my mp3 stopped working so I just left it off. At km 5 I knew my time was not going to be where I wanted it to be so the last 5 km was hard to keep on running, I was so unmotivated for those last 5 km. I was hopping for 23:00 for 5 km ( I was 24:30 ). The first km of the run is a little uphill, the the next 2km is downhill then flat for the next 4km but into the wind (it was hard to breath at some points cause of the wind), the last 3km is up hill back to my house.
So that would put my 30 km race at about 3:30, ten minutes slower then I had wanted. I guess I will have to just start working harder to get my speed down. I had though I would see some improvement over last year with all the running I have done over the winter.
Thanks for listening all, going for a swim tonight at a new pool that opened around the corner from my place.
2008-03-22 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1287286

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

natebs - 2008-03-22 3:28 PM I need to vent... I just finished my 10 km run outside. Yes I sucked it up and ran outdoors for the first time since Oct/Nov of 07. It was cold -4 (25 F) but I was dressed for it, I did warmed up after 7km as I had on two shirts a sweater and my running jacket. Also gloves, a hat and warm socks. This is good info for my race next week. I will however go with one less shirt. As I started the run I wanted to maintain 80 avg with my heart rate. At the 2 km mark the band around my chest fell down and I could not get a reading for the rest of the run. I had too much clothing on to try to pull it up so I just left it. Then at km 3 my mp3 stopped working so I just left it off. At km 5 I knew my time was not going to be where I wanted it to be so the last 5 km was hard to keep on running, I was so unmotivated for those last 5 km. I was hopping for 23:00 for 5 km ( I was 24:30 ). The first km of the run is a little uphill, the the next 2km is downhill then flat for the next 4km but into the wind (it was hard to breath at some points cause of the wind), the last 3km is up hill back to my house. So that would put my 30 km race at about 3:30, ten minutes slower then I had wanted. I guess I will have to just start working harder to get my speed down. I had though I would see some improvement over last year with all the running I have done over the winter. Thanks for listening all, going for a swim tonight at a new pool that opened around the corner from my place.

Nate, I can relate to being disappointed with a trial time. There is some good news, however. first of all, it was your first run outside. Second of all, it seems like everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. While that may not seem like good news, you've got nowhere to go but up. (Especially if there are no wardrobe malfunctions next time). On the next outdoor run with the benefit of the HRM, you'll be able to stick closer to your zones and maybe improve your time as a result. Add to that your trusty mp3 and all of the positive mindset that can come of that, and you'll probably find the motivation you were missing for the second part of that run. Lastly, I ran dead into the wind for 3.5 miles yesterday, and on the way home going with it I was 3 minutes faster. Don't discount the difficulty posed by that wind you ran into.

And When the outdoor temperature cracks 35F in a couple of weeks, you'll feel like you're in Florida.

The difficulty with running outside is the translation from running on the tready -- you haven't been dealing with the temperature and the wind difference. I've heard that when running on the tready, increasing the incline by 1% or putting a couple of books under the front end helps simulate the slightly added difficulty of running outdoors.

You're probably in better shape than you think. Maybe its just a matter of changing some of the treadmill runs to outdoor runs?

Have fun in the pool tonight -- sounds convenient. 

2008-03-22 11:30 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
natebs - 2008-03-22 12:28 PM

I need to vent...
I just finished my 10 km run outside. Yes I sucked it up and ran outdoors for the first time since Oct/Nov of 07. It was cold -4 (25 F) but I was dressed for it, I did warmed up after 7km as I had on two shirts a sweater and my running jacket. Also gloves, a hat and warm socks. This is good info for my race next week. I will however go with one less shirt.
As I started the run I wanted to maintain 80 avg with my heart rate. At the 2 km mark the band around my chest fell down and I could not get a reading for the rest of the run. I had too much clothing on to try to pull it up so I just left it. Then at km 3 my mp3 stopped working so I just left it off. At km 5 I knew my time was not going to be where I wanted it to be so the last 5 km was hard to keep on running, I was so unmotivated for those last 5 km. I was hopping for 23:00 for 5 km ( I was 24:30 ). The first km of the run is a little uphill, the the next 2km is downhill then flat for the next 4km but into the wind (it was hard to breath at some points cause of the wind), the last 3km is up hill back to my house.
So that would put my 30 km race at about 3:30, ten minutes slower then I had wanted. I guess I will have to just start working harder to get my speed down. I had though I would see some improvement over last year with all the running I have done over the winter.
Thanks for listening all, going for a swim tonight at a new pool that opened around the corner from my place.

Congrats on an outdoor run! 25 F is really cold!!! I don't think I could suck it up and deal with that cold, you should be proud of yourself for getting out the door. I think all the environmental factors will mess with your pace so go easy on yourself. The good thing is that during a race everyone will have the same environment to deal with so the playing field will be level.

I agree with Paul, it is good you have equipment failure now instead of at your race. I experienced the same thing today. I just got my bike tuned and I couldn't shift into my large chain ring my entire ride. I cannot even describe how frustrating that was. But looking back I am so glad I have time to fix it before my race.
2008-03-23 3:22 PM

User image

Regular
natebs - 2008-03-22 3:28 PM

I need to vent...

Nathan, I would not take this run as an indication of any improvements you've made over the winter. Everything that went wrong, went wrong. This happens sometimes. On top of that, it's one run. One run, where it was freezing, where everything went wrong, where you wanted to quit half way through is not a good measure of where you are physically.

That being said, weather can be a pain in the a$$. It adds time, sometimes a lot. Plus the fact that you all bundled up with added weight, restricted movement, snow, etc. cause times to climb. Best thing to do is get used to it. Do more of your runs outside. It can suck, I know. Good news, though, today is the third day of spring (although it did snow here yesterday.)

I had the opposite problem last summer at a half marathon where I wanted to run a certain time to see where I was at for a marathon a few weeks later. I had no idea that the course was extremely hilly and that day was around 90 with 95% humidity. I did not adjust my plan at all. I just about died at the 10 mile mark. I was massively dehydrated to point where I was a little loony. I ended up walking a lot, mumbling to myself I got done, drank my water or whatever and chalked the whole thing up as a learning experience and not an indication of how I would do in the marathon. I ran the marathon 4 weeks later and finished 3 minutes faster than I needed to.

So put more trust in your training and not this one run.

2008-03-23 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1285734

User image

Regular
TheMaz - 2008-03-21 3:15 PM

natebs - 2008-03-21 2:08 PM lol, 30 km is 19 miles, sorry I usually put in both distances for you guys. Anyone else still have a crap load of snow?

Good luck to everyone on your races this weekend! Me, I'll be cuddled up with my new love:

Great Odin's Raven 

This may not be appropriate on Easter but I covet your bike.

Are those deep wheels? Man, that is a nice deal. In this month's Triathlon or Triathlete (the thicker one) there is Javelin bike for $28,000. I waiting for the closeout on that one.

2008-03-24 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Sorry about your Bulldogs, Bill.
2008-03-24 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

25 degrees?  Damn.  That sounded like a Murphy's Law race if there ever was one.

Ten minutes off your pace doesn't seem too bad given all those variables.  You've still got the training in you, it will take over.

2008-03-24 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1285734

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
TheMaz - 2008-03-21 2:15 PM

Great Odin's Raven 

LACES OUT (drive train), DAN!!!! 

Seriously... that looks sweet.  You're gonna love it.  Love the way the frame looks, and the red in the wheels makes it look fast just sitting there.

(take the reflectors off)

2008-03-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1289161

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

pshorty - 2008-03-24 8:46 AM Sorry about your Bulldogs, Bill.

It was a good effort.  It'd be nice to still be playing, but they definitely went down fighting.

2008-03-24 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
thanks for the encouragement guys.
I will be going outside twice more this week to get used tothe weather as it is suppose to be the same temperture all weekend.
I went down to go for a swim and when I got there the pool didn`t look like it was any bigger then one in someones back yard. There was no lane swimming at the time I went. This new pool was a very short sited design for the city to build (way too small).
Have a good week all
thanks again
Nathan
2008-03-25 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone goes over and visits letsrun.com. It is the antithesis of BT. Where BT can be a sugary lovefest, letsrun can be brutal. It's not moderated (as far as I can tell) and its not separated into subcategories. It can be pretty funny and (every now and then) can be very informative.
2008-03-25 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1286845

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
gracetheterp - 2008-03-21 9:42 PM

wyndswept - 2008-03-21 10:36 PM

So exciting!!!! I've never finished a really big race, so I can't even imagine how you feel

Terrified!!!
2008-03-25 9:11 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Since we are all posting pictures of our bikes. I cleaned mine up and decided to take a photo. This is what will be getting me through most of this weekend.

As a side note: I heard a triathlon podcast and thought this was good advice. Mental preparation for race day...
1) Train in a box. This means break your race up into small segments and concentrate only on how you feel for that segment. Forget the last part and forget the stuff coming up. This applies to any distance triathlon and even long distance running and swimming. Think of the box as each buoy or each 5 miles.
2) Know the answer to, "Why am I doing this?" You will be asking yourself that question and you better have figured out the answer before race day. Don't wait till 1/2 way through the run to try and figure it out!

Now I need to hurry up and figure our why I am racing this weeknd! I came up with things like. I want a challenge. I want to be healthy. I want to test out a new distance. And I just wasn't feeling it. I even tryed to think about dedicating the race to my late aunt but that just makes me nervous if I don't finish. So, the best I can come up with is BEER! I stopped drinking for the month of March. Not even a sip on St. Patrick's Day or my birthday. I think I figured it out. I am racing for that post race nutrition --- BEER!

(bike2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike2.JPG (30KB - 11 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33