BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-07-30 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED

Got my new bike - just had my first ride.  15 miles. Would have gone longer - like all day - but I had to have emergency eye surgery yesterday.  Retinal tears.  Doc said no triathlon for 2 weeks - and take it down a notch.  I'm going to skip running, and lifting, and RIDE!

My LBS had 2 carbon road bikes to choose from: Cannondale SuperSix 5, and the Giant Deft Advanced 3.  Thought I'd like the Cannondale, but the Giant felt way better.  Spent over about an hour on the fit - and I can't believe how much faster it is than my commuoter. I had to pull out the manuals for my Garmin to move over the cadence sensor - and mixed up my old and new HR strap - so today I got no HR data - but at what felt like about level 2 or 3, I was cruising at about 20 MPh. My commuter could go 15, but with much more effort.

The compact gearing is going to take a bit of getting used to.  I found that on the flats, about 15th gear (big front, middle back) was right.

2011-07-31 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
wow, emergency eye surgery one day and new bike ride the next. Good for you. Hope you heal up quickly.
2011-08-03 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I have my first sprint race this weekend. Should be fun.

I am still very undecided on T1, I have a new bike and with it new shoes and pedals. I hate the shoes and pedals! They are road shoes and I am used to mountain bike shoes. with my old shoes I could pretty much run through transition, jump on the bike clip in to the double sided cleats with out looking and get away quick. With the new shoes and the huge plastic cleats I cant run and I find it awkward to clip in because of the one sided cleat. I can TRY to run barefoot with my shoes already clipped in but I havent even tried that yet. Any suggestions?

2011-08-03 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3627089

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-08-03 9:14 AM

I have my first sprint race this weekend. Should be fun.

I am still very undecided on T1, I have a new bike and with it new shoes and pedals. I hate the shoes and pedals! They are road shoes and I am used to mountain bike shoes. with my old shoes I could pretty much run through transition, jump on the bike clip in to the double sided cleats with out looking and get away quick. With the new shoes and the huge plastic cleats I cant run and I find it awkward to clip in because of the one sided cleat. I can TRY to run barefoot with my shoes already clipped in but I havent even tried that yet. Any suggestions?

Never had mountain bike shoes only road shoes so always had to walk funny. I would highly suggest against being the cool cat and keeping your shoes on your bike unless, you actually are that cool. You probably would just end up hitting a pothole and breaking your wrist while you are trying to get your shoes on.

I always did the slow shuffle with my shoes on. Never really felt much like running out of T1 anyways. Alternatively, and if the ground allows it, you could run barefoot and quickly slide your shoes on closer to the mounting line.

Also, pay close attention when you are clipping in. I have only fallen twice on my bike while clipping in, maybe three times, all when coming out of T1. Being light headed with getting out of the water and rushing through T1 and having my family yell at me caused me to lose concentration.
2011-08-05 9:45 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Dave, is the old bike just a mtn or is it a road/tri?  Just wondering for your question.  Personally I think I would rather use my new toy if I were you, but if you think your time will be about the same it might be okay just using the old bike, if you're going to have time gains with the new bike I'd say use that instead.

My week is a little off, Sunday I went to do one more scouting run at my course so I took a couple days off after. My Dad is also in town from Hong Kong visiting this week so I'm spending some time with him as well.  I should get my long workouts in this weekend and then I'll start my taper.

2011-08-05 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3630402

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
nick_318is - 2011-08-05 9:45 AM

Dave, is the old bike just a mtn or is it a road/tri?  Just wondering for your question.  Personally I think I would rather use my new toy if I were you, but if you think your time will be about the same it might be okay just using the old bike, if you're going to have time gains with the new bike I'd say use that instead.

My week is a little off, Sunday I went to do one more scouting run at my course so I took a couple days off after. My Dad is also in town from Hong Kong visiting this week so I'm spending some time with him as well.  I should get my long workouts in this weekend and then I'll start my taper.

I will be riding the new bike no question, I have to get used to the shoes and new pedals thats all. The old bike was a road bike with aerobars but the frame is cracked so I had to get the new one. (it is now in the basement on trainer duty) I also am a long time mountain biker so that why I was using the mountain bike shoes and pedals.

Enjoy your time with your dad

2011-08-05 1:40 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak
Next week my taper starts.  Generally the workouts are shorter, given this, should I continue with the same effort level that I currently put into a workout or should I be trying to push my pace?
2011-08-05 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3630854

User image

Veteran
DaveL - 2011-08-05 2:38 PM
nick_318is - 2011-08-05 9:45 AM

I will be riding the new bike no question, I have to get used to the shoes and new pedals thats all. The old bike was a road bike with aerobars but the frame is cracked so I had to get the new one. (it is now in the basement on trainer duty) I also am a long time mountain biker so that why I was using the mountain bike shoes and pedals.

Maybe a silly question - couldn't you move pedals from old bike to new and use your old shoes? 

Sure don't want to get new gear overload!  I moved the only clip-in pedals I have from my old "Metro" over to my new road bike - and since it's my first road bike since my British Racing Green 1971 Schwinn Super Sport, I had plenty to get use to.

Cheers
Ben

2011-08-09 10:01 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

On my run Sunday I started having some knee pain.  From what I've researched it seems like it's IT band pain in my left knee.  It just came from no where about 1 mile into my run.  I tried to push through it but stopped to stretch and walk a few times and ultimately walked the last 1.5 miles of my run.  So I went to the local running shop and picked up a foam roller and have added some stretches in to try and loosen it up.  I figured since I was there I'd pick up a new pair of shoes since mine are pretty old at this point.  

I'm hopeful that between these things and a little rest since i'm into the taper that I can keep my running up and get through my race without any problems.  I still rode my bike yesterday and didn't have any pain.

2011-08-10 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3635672

User image

Champion
Calgary
nick_318is - 2011-08-09 9:01 AM

On my run Sunday I started having some knee pain.  From what I've researched it seems like it's IT band pain in my left knee.  It just came from no where about 1 mile into my run.  I tried to push through it but stopped to stretch and walk a few times and ultimately walked the last 1.5 miles of my run.  So I went to the local running shop and picked up a foam roller and have added some stretches in to try and loosen it up.  I figured since I was there I'd pick up a new pair of shoes since mine are pretty old at this point.  

I'm hopeful that between these things and a little rest since i'm into the taper that I can keep my running up and get through my race without any problems.  I still rode my bike yesterday and didn't have any pain.

hopefully that clears things up. I have never really had IT band pain. Is there any stretches you can do to loosen it up. I hear that foam roller can be real painful if done right.
2011-08-10 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3637847

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

BigDH - 2011-08-10 1:54 PM 
hopefully that clears things up. I have never really had IT band pain. Is there any stretches you can do to loosen it up. I hear that foam roller can be real painful if done right.

The IT band thing is very strange, really hurt while running (and walking down stairs) but not much any other time and there has been no real swelling.  I've found some stretches to do and I've been using the foam roller for a couple days and my knee is feeling more like normal.  Yes the foam roller is painful if you're tight, but man does it feel a lot better after you do it.  I plan to keep that up, Saturday is my next run so I still have a couple days to rest and continue to do the stretches and roll.  So hopefully running feels okay.

2011-08-12 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran

Undecided
Just came from my 2 week follow-up after the laser eye surgery for retina.  Doc said no Tri's.  I am in shock.

She's fine with marathons, so I am going to switch into that mode. 

I really don't get why, something about going from back and forth of the swim to up and down of the bike/run I guess. 

Fooey!

2011-08-12 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3641350

User image

Champion
Calgary
benjaminjacobso - 2011-08-12 2:46 PM

Undecided
Just came from my 2 week follow-up after the laser eye surgery for retina.  Doc said no Tri's.  I am in shock.

She's fine with marathons, so I am going to switch into that mode. 

I really don't get why, something about going from back and forth of the swim to up and down of the bike/run I guess. 

Fooey!

forever?
2011-08-13 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3641375

User image

Veteran
Pretty much.  I think I'll re-evaluate this winter.
2011-08-14 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3642038

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Ben - I'm sorry to hear that.  You could always go get another opinion - maybe and hopefully your doctor is being overly cautious.  
2011-08-14 9:25 PM

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while.  I've been crazy busy juggling work, my workouts and my family.  I've been fairly successful at making sure I take care of all 3, but every once and a while one of them gets thrown on the back burner for a day or two.  I have the Chicago tri coming up in 2 weeks so I will be starting to get in a little bit of a taper mode.  But I am also in full blown marathon training mode at the same time, so there is even more juggling.  Today was a 20 mile run (of which i completed 18.3).  I fell apart.  I took it out too fast and paid the price.  Been there, done that.  I should know better.  

I got my bike tuned up and cleaned last week.  I have to take it back for an adjustment though.  I'm not 100% happy with the way it is shifting.  Should just take a minor tweak.  

Anyway - have a good week everyone! 

2011-08-16 7:56 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Ben,  that doesn't sound like good news, I hope after some time off or another opinion you'll be able to do Tris again, well that is, as long as you want to.

Have my sprint coming up on Sunday, feeling pretty good, still some lingering IT band pain but I'm doing exercises and keeping it stretched out.  I may or may not do a short Run on Thursday per the plan but I might skip it so my knee has a little more time to rest before the race.

2011-08-16 9:01 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
benjaminjacobso - 2011-08-13 10:12 AM

Pretty much.  I think I'll re-evaluate this winter.

That totally sucks. We are such fragile organisms and it is easy to take everything for granted. Really sucks.
2011-08-16 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Ben, I would give it some time, hopefully heal up a bit then get the doctors opinion again or ask another doctors opinion. Worse comes to worse you can still run and maybe do some duathlons?

I took last week off of training, my first in one year. I did a sprint then took one scheduled day off, then another, then my daughter broke her arm so I was at the hospital most of the night (shes fine). I did sign up for a half marathon for Sunday and did exceptionally poorly, I actually came in DFL for my age group. My quads started to really hurt very early in the race at the 4km point plus I also had to stop to use the washroom twice. It was an out and back course passing through the start/finish at the half way point. I knew it was going to be miserable but I pushed on to finish. At only 1 month to go to my HIM I was extremely disappointed in my performance. At this point I am simply following my plan through and add in a short run or two each week to try and get my legs to cooperate with running. Before I know it its going to be the taper then the big race.

trying to stay possitive

2011-08-21 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

My 1st race is in the books, went fairly well. Here is a link to the race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=265583

I'm thinking about doing the same course again in 2.5 weeks.  What would you guys recommend I do for training in this time.  Take the last 2-3 weeks of my plan and re-run it, maybe, with a shorter taper?  Still deciding if I want to go for it or not.  Still have a little IT band pain but seems to be getting better.

Edited by nick_318is 2011-08-21 2:42 PM
2011-08-22 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3646256

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-08-16 2:55 PM

BI took last week off of training, my first in one year. I did a sprint then took one scheduled day off, then another, then my daughter broke her arm so I was at the hospital most of the night (shes fine). I did sign up for a half marathon for Sunday and did exceptionally poorly, I actually came in DFL for my age group. My quads started to really hurt very early in the race at the 4km point plus I also had to stop to use the washroom twice. It was an out and back course passing through the start/finish at the half way point. I knew it was going to be miserable but I pushed on to finish. At only 1 month to go to my HIM I was extremely disappointed in my performance. At this point I am simply following my plan through and add in a short run or two each week to try and get my legs to cooperate with running. Before I know it its going to be the taper then the big race.

trying to stay possitive

Training for these things quite often turn out to be quite a bit of a grind near the end. It is easy to get started, and easy while you see improvement and easy for 2-3 months. It is that last 4-6 weeks, dude, brutal. Just keep it together. Follow the plan and try to have a good time at the race.

How is the leg doing?

2011-08-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3652667

User image

Champion
Calgary
nick_318is - 2011-08-21 1:41 PM

My 1st race is in the books, went fairly well. Here is a link to the race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=265583

I'm thinking about doing the same course again in 2.5 weeks.  What would you guys recommend I do for training in this time.  Take the last 2-3 weeks of my plan and re-run it, maybe, with a shorter taper?  Still deciding if I want to go for it or not.  Still have a little IT band pain but seems to be getting better.

Nice job on the race. So they have a race on the same course 2 weeks later? What is with that. Does it have a different name?

I suppose your training needs to depend on how hard you raced. You seem to be in pretty good shape so I doubt a sprint tri really taxed you all that much so if it feels right, why not take a couple days easy, put in 8-9 days of solid training and take it easy for a couple days then hit the race.
2011-08-30 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Yes, it's the same race 2 weeks later, same name, same organizers, just a different date and time.  I have decided not to race, I'm taking it easy right now and haven't run in about a week to get some time off and hopefully get the IT band pain taken care of.  Now I'm trying to think about what I should be doing to stay in shape and improve for the future.

Based on the knee pain and what I've read, I'm guessing I built my run volume too fast.  I've been reading a lot on building up a running base and think I may spend some time starting over and reconstructing my run base.  I think I'd like to get out 5-6 times a week and start at a very low weekly mileage and run slower and build up slowly.  The biggest question I have is where should I start, 10 miles a week? less than that since even at the peak of my training I was only doing 8-10 miles a week.

In the meantime (next 1-2 weeks) I think I'll take a little more time off from running and add more time on the bike.  Then I think I'll start working on rebuilding my run base and try to ride a couple times a week too.

2011-10-08 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran

Wish me luck - marathon tomorrow!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21