BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-02-19 11:39 PM
in reply to: #2682360

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.

wbayek - 2010-02-19 3:24 PM
bfoyle - 2010-02-19 12:26 PM I don't understand the tie-wraps on the rails thing. Can you explain another way? Sorry I'm a visual person and I can't picture this.

The Adamo has two noses rather than one, and from outside to outside of the two of them is a bit wider than a "normal" performance saddle. 

I'm assuming he means to individually tie wrap the two nose fronts and pull them a little closer together so the total width is smaller across the front.  I have a very small amount of rubbing at the front (due to my massive thighs!  Smile ) so if I could pull them in even just a tiny bit it might help a lot.  It's not really an issue for these 1 hours rides on the trainer, but I'm thinking when I get outside and start going longer it might add up to a problem if I'm rubbing at all.

Exactly. Underneath has too much room for the tie wraps to slip back or expand.

2010-02-19 11:40 PM
in reply to: #2682808

User image

Elite

bfoyle - 2010-02-19 7:59 PM ok, thanks that makes sense on the saddle.

My sister-in-law put's body glide on her feet to prevent blisters and she says it helps. I told her to stop buying cheap socks...but then I can be a jack...er...donkey sometimes. ;-)

On a side note...clip-on aero bars arrived today. Should make for some fun installation and learning to ride again. If I fall, I blame you guys for making me think it was necessary ;-)

Or ill fitting shoes. When I go sockless I sometimes get blisters, but shoes from Pearl Izumi and Zoot and those nice single mesh uppers to help prevent blisters.

2010-02-19 11:44 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Elite

Here is some nice running calculators for you guys to use. I do use them to 'know' what pace I should run at.

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp

and then help to calculate sweat rate:

http://www.trihardermultisports.com/THM_SwRate.aspx

Running calculators are nice because they are a very excellent judge of where you are at and what sort of paces you need to run to do a 4hr or 3hr marathon. Helps to show current potential.

2010-02-20 8:05 AM

User image

NH
Those yield slower easy/long run paces than I am used to seeing.  I did see a note which said the long run pace is slower than previous versions (about 20 secs/mile for my pace). 

In either case, I'm going too fast for my long runs per these calculations.  I tend to gravitate toward the nether regions on the long run - a little slower than marathon pace.  One of my goals this month is to slow down and check the ego at the door.

This kind of goes back to Jennifer's questions a few pages back about different paces, and how we need to run at different speeds so the slow paces seem way too slow.  As an athlete used to pushing, it's hard to believe running miles at those E paces is going to be beneficial, but I guess we should trust the experts.
2010-02-20 10:45 AM

User image

NH
Ok, extremely long post so bear with me.  I'm gonna post some advice I got from a very prominent coach, whom I happened to run into sort of randomly and was kind enough to spend a significant amount of time with me.  Push back on what I'm saying here.

First, since I'm a TOTAL beginner runner (< 4 months running), and I'm training for 70.3, he really wanted me to spend almost all my running time at easy pace, monitoring my HR but not being a slave to HR.  The paces he recommended coincide with the VDOT stuff Aaron just posted.

If I choose to do tempo pace running, limit that to about 20-25 minutes total per week at my weekly mileage.  He suggests not to do any real speed work for now.  More runs at lower per run mileage are also better - ideally 5-7 runs per week if at all possible, even if some are very short.  Running is by far the hardest activity from a recovery and injury perspective, especially for us older athletes, so of utmost importance is staying healthy and being able to repeat whatever running routine you settle into.

As time goes on I should be able to lower the pace at the same HR.  When the pace at the same HR stops getting better, it may be time to change the protocol a bit to include more tempo and maybe some speed work.

Second, make the bike the primary event in terms of training quality and time.  Bike is the most important tri event, and it's not really close.  If you want to run better in 70.3, bike more.  Hmmm, I've heard that before but maybe I need to really let it sink in.  Meaning even though I plan to run a half marathon this spring, don't train for the half marathon and don't let up too much on the bike even now.

Running at easier pace should allow for more intense biking sessions.  He loved Jorge's offseason plan, by the way.  Biking can be done more intensely this far out from the event, and especially indoors on a trainer.  Once biking gets outside, add more volume and spend a lot of the total biking miles at a slower pace than I'm used to.  Make sure to build bike strength by doing plenty of hills and try to negative split long rides to get used to pacing.  There were some other ideas like adding short tempo efforts toward the end of longer rides as the year goes on.

Third, in terms of swimming, technique, technique, technique.  And as Aaron has often said, even though the swim is a smallish portion of the races, the key is to be near 100% when you leave the water.

Essentially, at my level for a 70.3 training plan, spend this first year staying consistent in training and focusing on finishing, and re-evaluate and race these events next year if the 70.3 remains the distance I'm choosing.  If I switch to move to sprints or Olympic distance, some of this advice would change.  Also, if I had a significant background in any of the events like some of you do, everything would be a little different as well.

So my thought is to modify my training to slow down the runs, just do a few miles at tempo pace per week, and go to more biking.  As the off season turns to race training in a few months, just keep the runs at the same pace (adjusting as my HR at that pace dictates), add more biking volume at relatively slow pace (as opposed to my typical TT type cycling) with some speed and hill work, and swim for technique and fitness so my bike and run are not affected too much by the swim.

A lot of this advice sounds exactly like what Aaron has been suggesting, and it resonates with me.  It will make me change my overall training plan a bit, and I'm already settling into my comfort zone (rut?), so I'll need to adjust.  I admit part of my resistance to change is my ego since this would be forcing me to slow down my training, and my logs may look pitiful to me!

What do you think?
2010-02-20 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Warren,

I agree with everything - which is exactly how I've set up my training plan for this year. It's all about base mileage for running. The last 1.5 years I had one pace when I ran - but having the HRM/Garmin 305 has helped me vary my runs throughout the week. I've also bumped up my # of runs per week and don't do race pace that often. And I've seen some improvements on my times with my HR staying about the same.

As for the bike - it's my favorite of the three sports, so I do it more. But like what was said a few weeks back - the more you swim, the better off you are getting to the bike, the more you bike, the better you are going into the run.

so, I like everything that you stated. I think as we train more, we gain more experience and begin to modify our plans. I know that's how I've been and it's helping.

again - thanks for the post. it just makes me think more about my plan when I start for the OLY distance later this year.

2010-02-20 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2683378

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-02-20 11:45 AM Ok, extremely long post so bear with me.  I'm gonna post some advice I got from a very prominent coach, whom I happened to run into sort of randomly and was kind enough to spend a significant amount of time with me.  Push back on what I'm saying here.

First, since I'm a TOTAL beginner runner (< 4 months running), and I'm training for 70.3, he really wanted me to spend almost all my running time at easy pace, monitoring my HR but not being a slave to HR.  The paces he recommended coincide with the VDOT stuff Aaron just posted.

If I choose to do tempo pace running, limit that to about 20-25 minutes total per week at my weekly mileage.  He suggests not to do any real speed work for now.  More runs at lower per run mileage are also better - ideally 5-7 runs per week if at all possible, even if some are very short.  Running is by far the hardest activity from a recovery and injury perspective, especially for us older athletes, so of utmost importance is staying healthy and being able to repeat whatever running routine you settle into.

As time goes on I should be able to lower the pace at the same HR.  When the pace at the same HR stops getting better, it may be time to change the protocol a bit to include more tempo and maybe some speed work.

Second, make the bike the primary event in terms of training quality and time.  Bike is the most important tri event, and it's not really close.  If you want to run better in 70.3, bike more.  Hmmm, I've heard that before but maybe I need to really let it sink in.  Meaning even though I plan to run a half marathon this spring, don't train for the half marathon and don't let up too much on the bike even now.

Running at easier pace should allow for more intense biking sessions.  He loved Jorge's offseason plan, by the way.  Biking can be done more intensely this far out from the event, and especially indoors on a trainer.  Once biking gets outside, add more volume and spend a lot of the total biking miles at a slower pace than I'm used to.  Make sure to build bike strength by doing plenty of hills and try to negative split long rides to get used to pacing.  There were some other ideas like adding short tempo efforts toward the end of longer rides as the year goes on.

Third, in terms of swimming, technique, technique, technique.  And as Aaron has often said, even though the swim is a smallish portion of the races, the key is to be near 100% when you leave the water.

Essentially, at my level for a 70.3 training plan, spend this first year staying consistent in training and focusing on finishing, and re-evaluate and race these events next year if the 70.3 remains the distance I'm choosing.  If I switch to move to sprints or Olympic distance, some of this advice would change.  Also, if I had a significant background in any of the events like some of you do, everything would be a little different as well.

So my thought is to modify my training to slow down the runs, just do a few miles at tempo pace per week, and go to more biking.  As the off season turns to race training in a few months, just keep the runs at the same pace (adjusting as my HR at that pace dictates), add more biking volume at relatively slow pace (as opposed to my typical TT type cycling) with some speed and hill work, and swim for technique and fitness so my bike and run are not affected too much by the swim.

A lot of this advice sounds exactly like what Aaron has been suggesting, and it resonates with me.  It will make me change my overall training plan a bit, and I'm already settling into my comfort zone (rut?), so I'll need to adjust.  I admit part of my resistance to change is my ego since this would be forcing me to slow down my training, and my logs may look pitiful to me!

What do you think?

I agree with most of what you said. A lot of good stuff. As a multisport athlete you have to know when to take it easy so you can get a hard work out in later.

2010-02-21 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Warren - great post - I agree with a lot of it...but am still struggling with slowing down on the runs. I'm going to give it an honest effort leading up to the half Marathon in May and see if that works for me.

The good news is bike is my favorite of the three - now I have even more reason to bike!

We're back from Florida. Unfortunately while there, I came down with an acute case of bronchitis and have been instructed to take it very easy until Tuesday at the least. Looks like February is a "down" month for me, but I am getting excited to start back for a strong March. I am very glad to see some good chatter on this thread!
2010-02-21 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Is watching the Olympics inspiring or what!  USA v. Canada in hockey playing tonight!  My wife is Canadian, so it makes it even more interesting.  Hockey is like a Canada's religion, they are nuts about that sport.

Glad your back Jennifer, hope you enjoyed Florida and sorry about your illness.

Ran for the first time with a HRM, I kept it at an easy pace and I was in mid-zone 3.  I swam for an hour earlier that morning, not sure if that matters or not.
2010-02-21 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Do you guys rent or own a wetsuit? why?
2010-02-22 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2684969

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I own a wetsuit - so I can practice with it...also living in a colder area - it means I can swim outside longer.

Just found out that a good friend of mine qualified for Boston this weekend! I'm pretty excited for her. I hope to go down and watch her race.

Matt - how did your wife take the Canadian loss in hockey? Big upset, eh?

2010-02-22 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I own a wetsuit (2, actually).  ProMotion has some really affordable suits and BT members get a 10% discount.  I just prefer having it on hand rather than renting one and hoping it arrives ontime and having to ship it back etc.  I think I paid $119 for my sleeveless.  I'm not sure how much they cost to rent, but just seems like a small price to pay for the convenience.  I also got one when I did Team in Training to raise money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society last year (they give it to you in exchange for raising funds for the society).

I need to get a lot of running in this week.  I'm shooting for 26-30 miles.  My weekend got a little crazy (as one of my kids got a lot sick), so I wasn't able to get a long run in.  Half mary is quickly approaching, so no time for excuses, just "RUN FORREST RUN!"

Have a great week, Team!
2010-02-22 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I posted my last message, then read Warren's post... great stuff.  I'm still going to have a run-heavy week, but will try and get some long bike sessions in on the trainer.  Swimming is just going to have to wait until sometime in March.  I'll just try and get one swim session in per week to keep the rust off.
2010-02-22 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2685354

User image

Veteran
Richmond
She did not take it well at all!  I guess it's the one thing that country believes it should own and when it doesn't it's a pretty bad day for them, especially losing to the "Americans".  She wouldn't come and sit with me and watch it on the couch the entire game!  Great game, very close and exciting to watch.  Miller was unbelievable with 42 blocked shots, it was like a shooting gallery there at the end, couldn't believe he fended them off like that. 
2010-02-22 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

I own my own wetsuit.  The only reason is.......At the Buffalo Springs Lake HIM expo, my wife said I should buy one.  Laughing

2010-02-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2685769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
ray6foot7 - 2010-02-22 9:04 AM

I own my own wetsuit.  The only reason is.......At the Buffalo Springs Lake HIM expo, my wife said I should buy one.  Laughing

haha! and when the wife says we should do something, we do!

2010-02-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2685769

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-02-21 8:04 PM

LOL!  She must have really twisted your arm for that!

I don't have a wet suit but plan to purchase one in the very near future.  Due to the weather and temperatures of water out here I will need to get a full wet suit.
2010-02-22 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2683085

User image

Expert
WA
aarondavidson - 2010-02-19 9:44 AM

Running calculators are nice because they are a very excellent judge of where you are at and what sort of paces you need to run to do a 4hr or 3hr marathon. Helps to show current potential.

Thanks for the calculators Aaron!  I am liking this VDOT calculator!
2010-02-22 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2682276

User image

Expert
WA
billsorg - 2010-02-18 11:54 PM

Here's a question to the group.  I've been reading some IM and HIM race reports and some of the people are putting body glide on their feet prior to putting their shoes on.  I understand the hole body glide thing with the wetsuit, but I've never heard of putting it on your feet.  I would think that it would just cause your foot to slip around inside your shoe.  What's the deal?  I've been having some issues with rawness and some blistering on my feet lately and am willing to try anything, but this sounds suspect to me.  Thoughts?

Have a great weekend team!!!!

I don't get blisters.

I use to get a runners toe and it seems to have subsided because now I run with shoes a half a size larger than shoes I regularly wear. 

I also wear wigwam running socks I picked up at REI, to help prevent moisture/rubbing/blisters.  This isn't the exact pair but close to it. http://www.rei.com/product/782010
2010-02-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2685354

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-02-22 8:22 AM I own a wetsuit - so I can practice with it...also living in a colder area - it means I can swim outside longer.

Just found out that a good friend of mine qualified for Boston this weekend! I'm pretty excited for her. I hope to go down and watch her race.

Matt - how did your wife take the Canadian loss in hockey? Big upset, eh?

First.. USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Boston is full this year. So if she qualified its for 2011.

2010-02-22 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2684969

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-02-21 8:15 PM Do you guys rent or own a wetsuit? why?

Own. Had it for 2 years, tons of use because it is colder. I love swimming outside and its nicer/easier in the suit.

2010-02-22 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2685577

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-02-22 9:53 AM
I need to get a lot of running in this week.  I'm shooting for 26-30 miles.  My weekend got a little crazy (as one of my kids got a lot sick), so I wasn't able to get a long run in.  Half mary is quickly approaching, so no time for excuses, just "RUN FORREST RUN!"

Have a great week, Team!

Good luck hitting those miles. Hopefully everything aligns. If you need to get in extra 3mi runs later or earlier in the day.

2010-02-22 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2686106

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-02-22 1:09 PM
billsorg - 2010-02-18 11:54 PM

Here's a question to the group.  I've been reading some IM and HIM race reports and some of the people are putting body glide on their feet prior to putting their shoes on.  I understand the hole body glide thing with the wetsuit, but I've never heard of putting it on your feet.  I would think that it would just cause your foot to slip around inside your shoe.  What's the deal?  I've been having some issues with rawness and some blistering on my feet lately and am willing to try anything, but this sounds suspect to me.  Thoughts?

Have a great weekend team!!!!

I don't get blisters.

I use to get a runners toe and it seems to have subsided because now I run with shoes a half a size larger than shoes I regularly wear. 

I also wear wigwam running socks I picked up at REI, to help prevent moisture/rubbing/blisters.  This isn't the exact pair but close to it. http://www.rei.com/product/782010

The body glide also helps get your foot into the shoe. More helpful in short races where seconds count more.

2010-02-22 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2686464

User image

Expert
WA
aarondavidson - 2010-02-22 12:24 AM

The body glide also helps get your foot into the shoe. More helpful in short races where seconds count more.

Do recommend shoes with no socks for sprints and olys?  If so, what make/model of shoes do you recommend?
2010-02-22 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2686882

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-02-22 5:38 PM
aarondavidson - 2010-02-22 12:24 AM

Do recommend shoes with no socks for sprints and olys?  If so, what make/model of shoes do you recommend?

Yes. I am sponsored by Brooks, so I have to say Brooks. With that in mind, I had a pair of Pearl Izumi that were awesome. Zoots always work from what I have heard, because of the single liner with no seams.

The two things to be aware of minimal seams, and to wear the shoe for 'awhile' before you go sockless unless like the Zoots they are designed for sockless wear.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76