BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-07-15 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2982146

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
I am a horrible example because I only stretch for swimming, NEVER for biking or running.  I just expect my muscles to warm up and do what they are supposed to.  I do have to do some stretching in the middle of the night occasionally when I get leg cramps... probably because I don't stretch before a workout!

2010-07-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Veteran
In my best PT voice....stretching is one of the keys to preventing muscular imbalance and muscular imbalance is what leads to injury...YOU MUST STRETCH!!!!! OK, off my soapbox now. I do a quick 5 minutes or so of stretching after my S/B/R's but I also do about 15 minutes before bed almost every night (except for the nights I pass out on the couch before it happens! LOL!)

So - I'm stressed and overdosing on Vitamin C as we speak...My son got sent home from daycare today with a 102 fever and a sore throat. My daughter and I shared an ice cream sundae with him last night (when he had no symptoms - YET!) I sooooooooo don't want to get sick before my race on Sunday! UUUGGGHHH! Keep your fingers crossed for me!
2010-07-15 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2983294

User image

Expert
PTWykes - 2010-07-15 1:31 PM In my best PT voice....stretching is one of the keys to preventing muscular imbalance and muscular imbalance is what leads to injury...YOU MUST STRETCH!!!!! OK, off my soapbox now. I do a quick 5 minutes or so of stretching after my S/B/R's but I also do about 15 minutes before bed almost every night (except for the nights I pass out on the couch before it happens! LOL!)

So - I'm stressed and overdosing on Vitamin C as we speak...My son got sent home from daycare today with a 102 fever and a sore throat. My daughter and I shared an ice cream sundae with him last night (when he had no symptoms - YET!) I sooooooooo don't want to get sick before my race on Sunday! UUUGGGHHH! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Yikes! Hope you're ALL feeling perfectly healthy ASAP, and that you yourself remain blissfully illness-free! *crosses fingers and toes for you*
2010-07-15 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
So a quick stretch is okay right after. Good. I just need to add the longer one at night. I'll try. Thanks all. MARSHA, WILSON, and HILDE - can't wait to hear how great you do this weekend! Knock em dead! Marsha, hoping you don't get sick ( at least not before Mon,right?)
2010-07-15 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
My theory on the stretching is to always start out slow in whatever activity I'm doing.  So if I'm running, I might jog a quarter mile or so before I start my run, likewise I swim really slow for a lap or so before my workout.  The time (for me at least) to stretch is after my workout when everything is loose and warm.  I also stretch before bed.  I'm thinking of getting a foam roller to try to work my hamstrings a bit more.  I'm not injured, just really, really tight.
2010-07-15 10:55 PM

User image

I stretch for around 15 minutes before running - about the same amount of time I spend running these days.  I also stretch after running for another 5-10 minutes.  May be weird, but I like the feel of my legs when they are warm from running.  For swimming, I just start slow for the first couple of laps.  

2010-07-16 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2984043

User image

Expert
jcarmody - 2010-07-15 7:11 PM My theory on the stretching is to always start out slow in whatever activity I'm doing. So if I'm running, I might jog a quarter mile or so before I start my run, likewise I swim really slow for a lap or so before my workout. The time (for me at least) to stretch is after my workout when everything is loose and warm. I also stretch before bed. I'm thinking of getting a foam roller to try to work my hamstrings a bit more. I'm not injured, just really, really tight.

I do love my foam roller-- it makes a world of difference on my calves, hamstrings, and IT bands in particular. Hope you get everything loosened up and more comfy soon!
2010-07-16 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
I ordered the roller today at lunchtime.  I'll keep you posted.
2010-07-17 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

I've been watching the Lake Huron water temps for about a week and am getting a bit concerned about next week's tri.  Right now the temps are in the low 60's.  I really don't want to wear a wet suit, but I think I probably will have to.  What do you guys think?  Hopefully I can get up there Wed or Thur after work to check it out myself.

2010-07-17 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2987148

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Low 60's is pretty cold.... but I think you COULD do it without a wetsuit if you HAD to.  I'd go check it out and see how you feel if you can.  How long is the swim?  If you are having a heat wave, it could go up a bit before next week, even though that's a huge chunk of water.  65 and I'd probably go without, but low 60's, you would probably feel better having one on hand, just in case.  And you'll want to practice in it at least once because it is different than without one!
2010-07-18 6:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Great job to Hilde and Wilson on their races and good luck to Marsh today! Can't wait to read the results!

I'm pretty excited today. There is a Half Iron Man going on here in Racine today. I have to work for a bit, but am going to go check it out afterwards. They should be ending the bike/starting the run by then. Talk about inspirational!

2010-07-18 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2987753

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Wilson is a TRIATHLETE!!!!

sd

Way to go my man!!  It only gets better from here....
And DUDE, you have some SERIOUSLY sexy legs, just sayin'!

Edited by hildekq 2010-07-18 7:23 AM
2010-07-18 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go WILSON!     :cheer:

My sprint went well - I placed 6/27 in my AG and my time was only 2 minutes off 3rd and 4 minutes off 1st in my AG so it was a GOOD race! My race report is here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217881

My bike pace was FAST for me and my run was a PR for a 5K (even vs stand alone 5K's that I've done)!!!!!!!!! Overall it was a great race! It was awesome to get familiar with the course as it is the same course for the OLY I'm doing in a few weeks - for that one the swim loop will be repeated and the bike loop will be repeated, the run (out and back) will just go a bit further out - so all in all I will be familiar with the course!

Thank you all SO much for your encouragement and support! You rock!
2010-07-18 9:12 PM

Veteran
Woo hoo Wilson!

Just remember NEVER stretch a cold muscle, study after study has shown this causes more injuries than it prevents. Start slow with desired activity for a few minutes, then stretch a bit once your muscles are warm. Dynamic stretching is safer and more effective than static stretching.

-k
2010-07-18 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2987768

User image

Extreme Veteran
hildekq - 2010-07-18 5:13 AM

X 2!! Way to go, Wilson!! And I agree, those are some mighty perty legs for a big man!

Marsha, awesome job on your sprint! A 5K PR in a Tri? Unbelievable!!

2010-07-18 10:50 PM
in reply to: #2988761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2010-07-18 10:51 PM
hildekq - 2010-07-18 5:13 AM

X 2!! Way to go, Wilson!! And I agree, those are some mighty perty legs for a big man!

Marsha, awesome job on your sprint! A 5K PR in a Tri? Unbelievable!!

LMAO big time..haha... Nice bird legs huh...now you know why I don't run fast.. haha

2010-07-18 10:52 PM
in reply to: #2987768

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2010-07-18 8:13 AM Wilson is a TRIATHLETE!!!!

sdT

Way to go my man!!  It only gets better from here....

I should have known you'd notice my sexy bird legs.. haha... I'm LMAO right now!!!

Thanks!!! I think.. haha

2010-07-19 6:11 AM
in reply to: #2988846

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Umm, Wilson??  Contrary to popular belief, I WASN'T being sarcastic... I was serious about your legs!!  check out the quads!

sdf

Now, the FACIAL expression... ha ha!
2010-07-19 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
WAY TO GO, Wilson, Hilde, and Marsha!!! You all ROCKED your races, and that's so wonderful to hear!!

(And I agree with Hilde on the purtiness of your legs, Wilson-- quads are a happy thing! Laughing)

The day off with my sis was a BLAST-- if any of you get the chance to go to this year's Lilith Fair, I'd highly recommend it. Lots of great music, interesting booths to wander through, and the headliners REALLY delivered. Great fun!
2010-07-19 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2988981

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2010-07-19 7:11 AM Umm, Wilson??  Contrary to popular belief, I WASN'T being sarcastic... I was serious about your legs!!  check out the quads!

sdf

Now, the FACIAL expression... ha ha!

If I blushed, I'd be blushing now.. haha... Thanks - maybe I can be a leg model some day..haha...  YOU DA BOMB! 
2010-07-19 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2991240

User image

Extreme Veteran
And can I also say, Wilson, you've set a VERY high bar for race reports! A full album of photos taken by a pro- our finish line snapshots are gonna look sad next to that! Thanks for sharing them; I felt like I was there, cheering you on!

2010-07-22 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2991310

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
We have racers this weekend!!

On Saturday, July 24th:

Janet has a sprint tri... she is so good she says she is using it as a training session, ha ha!!  We know she will ace the run for sure, GO GIRL!!

Wilson has a 5k run after completing his first tri last weekend... putting those sexy legs to good use... if you haven't already, go check out his album, he had his own personal photographer who even got close up shots of him swimming around a buoy!

Jen McConnell has a 5K run listed on her blog, but I'm not sure if she's actually doing it.  She's been neck deep in some remodeling, I think she's trying to get her own show on HGTV!!

And yours truly has a sprint tri on Sunday... this is my first repeat tri and I won my AG last year!!  It's in Waco, not far from where the dead bodies were recovered last month, but I'll try not to think about that as I'm swimming... the OLY people will actually be much closer!  Best part will be the bike, super fast, flat, smooth bike route.  I'm really hoping to come in under an hour and 30 minutes, last year's time was 1:33something.

Keep up the training, some of you are so inspirational to ME!!
2010-07-22 2:30 PM

Veteran
High bar winning your AG last time Hilde! Best of luck to all our racers . . .

So I used to dread my run sessions, but I'm beginning to tolerate them better and even enjoy some of them. I work closely with and help organize a local support group for a common genetic disease. They have a few unused charity slots for the upcoming Portland Marathon on 10/10/10. These are slots for the 1/2 marathon and I'm thinking about it.

I'm a very slow runner, usually around 12 min/mile so I certainly wouldn't be a speed demon and would likely follow a planned run/walk schedule. I'm up north in Oregon so our tri season ends early and I'll like to have one more big thing to look forward to since my last scheduled tri is quick approaching.

Does anyone have an insights or comments? I know we have some serious runners in our group. How does it go following a tri training plan and adding in some extra running?

Thanks
2010-07-22 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Kory -

I would encourage you to go for the 1/2 marathon.  I'm certain there will be people at all levels including those that plan on walking the whole way!  As far as training goes, depending on your goals you will probably need to add 1-2 more run sessions per week.  I like to run at least 4 times a week and preferably 5 times as I train for longer distances.  You will still need a few rest/recovery days in there so don't be tempted to just fill your recovery days with extra runs.  Follow the 10% rule and gradually increase your mileage so you can be sure of the distance.  I would recommend finding a training program for the run and seeing how closely you can make it work with your triathlon program.  I found that I stopped biking for several weeks before my marathon because the biking was trashing my running legs, or maybe I was just a weenie!Smile

After my tri on Saturday I will be working more on my running since I'm pretty sure I'll be running a 1/2 marathon in September.  (Of course I will continue to be a slave at the pool)
2010-07-22 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2996637

User image

Expert
MMM RACERS ROCK!!!

So glad to hear about everyone's upcoming events: you'll all be fantastic! Enjoy yourselves!!

Just a quick note: I'll be driving up to Canada on Sunday to visit with my family at the cottage for two weeks-- happily, the lake's right outside our front door, so plenty of OWS will occur! I'm bringing my bike and my running shoes-- the quest to Rock The Oly continueth internationally... I'll update as often as I can (we do have internet access up there, hurrah).

Swim, Bike, Run, Veg Out. That's the plan for two weeks...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41