BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-15 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3301922

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
mackjenn - 2011-01-15 5:51 PM

Does anyone have a tough time splitting up workouts?  I always have intentions of a workout in the morning and if I don't have time to fit it all in, I'll do a little workout in the afternoon.  Well, when afternoon comes, I just never am in the mood to workout.  So I have done most of my workouts all in the morning.   I'm just afraid when I ramp up my training for HIM, I know I'm going to have to split my workouts.  

I have no trouble splitting my workouts.  I usually end up splitting them in two and just throwing one out - like bad leftovers.  Wink   Acutally same issue here - can't seem to get the 2nd one in on a regular basis, but I'm hoping it is due to needing to do it inside Vs outside, how dark it gets so early, etc.  Once summer gets here and I get into longer runs and rides, I will want to be doing the outside after work.  One helpful hint - do the hard one alone in the AM and get a workout partner for the afternoon sessions. 

There are some people who run on a regular basis at lunch and I'll join them for a 2nd workout even though it is not the length or intensity called for.  As a 2nd, it is not what was planned, but it is better than nothing.  Then if I can get the full run in at night as a 3rd. 

All the stuff I read on busy schedule training indicates keep as much as possible in the AM before starting day.  Not sure how I'm going to do it (also looking at HIM this year and FIM next), but if others can do it - so can I.

I can't split my workouts - or the second one never happens.  Right now I (almost) always do it all in the morning and worry about getting further into my training and not having the time to finish it all in one go.  Actually, I have a lot of trouble doing any training other than in the morning - if I don't get up and go, it is a struggle to make it happen later.   

2011-01-16 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3301815

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio

It is always an issue when add in all your other commitments.   Hopefully, to aid towards your success is good support from family, friends, co-worker and they realize this is important and will work with you.  A suggestion: before the week try to plan your w/o times.  There will be times when something when something has to give so try to have one KEY w/o for the week in each area. 

2011-01-16 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Hey all - thanks for the inspires and questions on my status.  All is well, just that I had a killer week at work and expect another this week.  My boss came in for orientation, and I was meeting with my employees on a culture survey results, and my girls mother was traveling all week, so I had the little ones 100% of the time - difficult when considering we also had late starts at school a few days because of the cold.  UJp at 3:30 and home after 6, so just beat - few business dinners.  No energy to work out.  Went so well, my boss is coming back this week - yea! Yell . 

Going to be able to hit sheets earlier and maybe be able to get up for those am workouts.

On the up-side, I told our VP that I was training (my dotted line boss) and asked that I be able to swim a few days during our lunch - which will make me late coming back.  He was good with it - plus Wellness was a focus point at the Sr. Managers conference earlier this month, so I'm working a major objective for our corporation.

Thanks again!!
2011-01-17 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

It takes 3 weeks to make a habit.  I have 3 weeks until my HIM training plan starts.  I am going to try to start going to bed earlier and getting up for 30 minutes of some cardio in the morning, either treadmill or bike for now.  My HIM plan calls for 3 days of a.m. swimming.  I am not that good to make that a habit before I have to.  For right now, working on just getting my butt moving in the morning. 

2011-01-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3303754

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
jogo - 2011-01-17 6:24 AM

It takes 3 weeks to make a habit.  I have 3 weeks until my HIM training plan starts.  I am going to try to start going to bed earlier and getting up for 30 minutes of some cardio in the morning, either treadmill or bike for now.  My HIM plan calls for 3 days of a.m. swimming.  I am not that good to make that a habit before I have to.  For right now, working on just getting my butt moving in the morning. 

year before last I kicked off my training by taking a boot camp class January - March - it started at 5 am and was about 20 minutes from my home. The real benefit I received from that class was the ability to actually wake and function at that hour(and still function the remainder of the work day)

Once class was over I continued to wake early (not at 4, I slept "late" until 5) and would get a few laps in at the gym and later when the sun was actually out would go for a ride or two. I did this for months- and it was still a struggle each and every time to get out of the bed...I think what would do it was a combination of 1) knowing that even at 5 am I would have to pray for a lane at at the pool and 2) not wanting to die at my tri and mostly 3) knowing that if i did nothing else for the rest of the day, I was done

2011-01-17 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3299722

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
lounav - 2011-01-13 1:01 PM
TriAya - 2011-01-13 3:29 AM ON SWIMMING

If you haven't skimmed, read, perused, ruminated, memorized, and done everything in this little guide ... you're missing out on the BEST SWIMMING INFO/TIPS ever.

I *still* use these little points to plan and do my swim coaching clinics.

Bigfuzzydoug's 10 Points to Swimming

Thank you so much for sharing this!  I started using some of it today and it was incredibly helpful for me.  It is so hard (as a new swimmer) to understand what is being described when just reading something, but this post did a great job of helping me really be able to visualize it.  Thanks!!

Okay. So, apparently my stroke isn't as good as I thought it was. Last Friday I was swimming and asked a gentleman who is often there swimming (and is fast and appears to know what he's doing) to watch me swim. I've never had any lessons or feedback from a trained eye, so I was a bit anxious. Wow! I suck! He immediately said I am doing three things wrong.

1. I am extending my arms all the way out in front of me on the recovery stroke, and it's best to keep my elbows bent a little all the time.
2. I am starting my pull too soon with straight arms which is resulting in me pushing down on the water during the first part of my stroke, and thus lifting-up my position in the water.
3. I am not stopping my stroke at my hips, but instead following through. He told me to exaggerate pulling my elbows up from my hip out of the water then on to entry.

I'm confused because Bigfuzzydog's link states that our entry arm should be as long and extended as far as possible, and this guy is telling me the opposite. Now, this guy just set the state record for the 500 in his age group, so I'm inclined to think he knows what he's talking about. He's also a triathlete. I'm just confused. 

2011-01-17 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3304882

User image

Melon Presser
kickitinok - 2011-01-18 4:54 AM
lounav - 2011-01-13 1:01 PM
TriAya - 2011-01-13 3:29 AM ON SWIMMING

If you haven't skimmed, read, perused, ruminated, memorized, and done everything in this little guide ... you're missing out on the BEST SWIMMING INFO/TIPS ever.

I *still* use these little points to plan and do my swim coaching clinics.

Bigfuzzydoug's 10 Points to Swimming

Thank you so much for sharing this!  I started using some of it today and it was incredibly helpful for me.  It is so hard (as a new swimmer) to understand what is being described when just reading something, but this post did a great job of helping me really be able to visualize it.  Thanks!!

Okay. So, apparently my stroke isn't as good as I thought it was. Last Friday I was swimming and asked a gentleman who is often there swimming (and is fast and appears to know what he's doing) to watch me swim. I've never had any lessons or feedback from a trained eye, so I was a bit anxious. Wow! I suck! He immediately said I am doing three things wrong.

1. I am extending my arms all the way out in front of me on the recovery stroke, and it's best to keep my elbows bent a little all the time.
2. I am starting my pull too soon with straight arms which is resulting in me pushing down on the water during the first part of my stroke, and thus lifting-up my position in the water.
3. I am not stopping my stroke at my hips, but instead following through. He told me to exaggerate pulling my elbows up from my hip out of the water then on to entry.

I'm confused because Bigfuzzydog's link states that our entry arm should be as long and extended as far as possible, and this guy is telling me the opposite. Now, this guy just set the state record for the 500 in his age group, so I'm inclined to think he knows what he's talking about. He's also a triathlete. I'm just confused. 

If it makes you feel any better, points 1 and 3 are not critical points of form debate, and if those were the first three things that were obvious, you're doing okay.

1. Unless you've spent a bunch of years doing 5-10k a day, don't worry about this. IN GENERAL, for people who may be good swimmers but are relatively new to competition swimming, your form and rotation are going to be much better off if you do stretch your arm out as far as possible on the recovery. Two exceptions: if you're over-rotating (highly unlikely, but possible) and if your reaching out is the primary cause of your arms crossing over the midline (if they do. they may or may not, i don't know).

2. This is a critical point. You want as much of your stroke as possible to be pulling back. The swimming term for this is Early Vertical Forearm. In other words, you want to get your forearm vertical as quickly as possible. I'm actually glad you mentioned this because there's a lot of good info out there and I want to review it and post (and continue to use) the best of it.

The drill I use to teach this is 'swimming over barrels.' when your arm is extended in front of you, pretend you are swimming over barrels. To do that effectively, you have to get your forearm straight down BETWEEN the barrels and push yourself forward. It also doesn't work to stick your whole arm down in the barrel -- just your forearm-- otherwise you can't move forward at all.

3. again, he's right, but i wouldn't call this a major point. This also depends on your anatomy. I have orangutan arms and they nearly go down to my knees. The point is not to FINISH your stroke with your arm straight down ... the small and debatable amount of propulsion you get from following through to a straight arm isn't as important as getting your arm through a quick recovery for the next stroke.
2011-01-17 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Thanks, Yanti. I can certainly see where #2 would be critical. The logic behind it seems obvious, and when I adjusted my stroke I did notice that my I was swimming faster.....although I must say that altering one's stroke seems to take a lot more energy - I was exhausted afterwards. Or maybe I was just tired that day.

Anyway, this is going to take some getting used to. How long until I am feeling not as awkward with the change in my stroke? 
2011-01-18 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3305369

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
kickitinok - 2011-01-17 8:26 PM Thanks, Yanti. I can certainly see where #2 would be critical. The logic behind it seems obvious, and when I adjusted my stroke I did notice that my I was swimming faster.....although I must say that altering one's stroke seems to take a lot more energy - I was exhausted afterwards. Or maybe I was just tired that day.

Anyway, this is going to take some getting used to. How long until I am feeling not as awkward with the change in my stroke? 

It takes me about 6-10 sessions of concentrating on technique to incorporate a new move into my stroke.  Initially, it took a lot more.  Be patient, and use your warm up laps to really focus on technique.
2011-01-18 8:21 AM

User image

Champion
7 hours training in the last 3 days.  I need to stretch.
2011-01-18 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3305898

User image

Melon Presser
pga_mike - 2011-01-18 9:21 PM
kickitinok - 2011-01-17 8:26 PM Thanks, Yanti. I can certainly see where #2 would be critical. The logic behind it seems obvious, and when I adjusted my stroke I did notice that my I was swimming faster.....although I must say that altering one's stroke seems to take a lot more energy - I was exhausted afterwards. Or maybe I was just tired that day.

It takes me about 6-10 sessions of concentrating on technique to incorporate a new move into my stroke.  Initially, it took a lot more.  Be patient, and use your warm up laps to really focus on technique.

I'd say that's about right. For one thing, there are some developments/changes in musculature that need to build up, so you will feel like it takes more energy at first (because it does).

Ditto on the warm-up laps, and use parts of long sets as reminders (say if you're doing 4x200, really focus on form that last 50 of each).

Ever take piano or music lessons? It's like that. Takes a few lessons to learn to play in a new key or adopt a new rhythm.

2011-01-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3305899

User image

Melon Presser
pga_mike - 2011-01-18 9:21 PM 7 hours training in the last 3 days.  I need to stretch.

platydude. what's the pop tart equivalent of 7 hours of training? sheeeeeee ... good work!!!
2011-01-18 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3306358

User image

Champion
TriAya - 2011-01-18 10:57 AM
pga_mike - 2011-01-18 9:21 PM 7 hours training in the last 3 days.  I need to stretch.

platydude. what's the pop tart equivalent of 7 hours of training? sheeeeeee ... good work!!!

2011-01-18 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3302137

lounav - 2011-01-15 9:45 PM
mackjenn - 2011-01-15 5:51 PM

Does anyone have a tough time splitting up workouts?  I always have intentions of a workout in the morning and if I don't have time to fit it all in, I'll do a little workout in the afternoon.  Well, when afternoon comes, I just never am in the mood to workout.  So I have done most of my workouts all in the morning.   I'm just afraid when I ramp up my training for HIM, I know I'm going to have to split my workouts.  

I have no trouble splitting my workouts.  I usually end up splitting them in two and just throwing one out - like bad leftovers.  Wink   Acutally same issue here - can't seem to get the 2nd one in on a regular basis, but I'm hoping it is due to needing to do it inside Vs outside, how dark it gets so early, etc.  Once summer gets here and I get into longer runs and rides, I will want to be doing the outside after work.  One helpful hint - do the hard one alone in the AM and get a workout partner for the afternoon sessions. 

There are some people who run on a regular basis at lunch and I'll join them for a 2nd workout even though it is not the length or intensity called for.  As a 2nd, it is not what was planned, but it is better than nothing.  Then if I can get the full run in at night as a 3rd. 

All the stuff I read on busy schedule training indicates keep as much as possible in the AM before starting day.  Not sure how I'm going to do it (also looking at HIM this year and FIM next), but if others can do it - so can I.

I can't split my workouts - or the second one never happens.  Right now I (almost) always do it all in the morning and worry about getting further into my training and not having the time to finish it all in one go.  Actually, I have a lot of trouble doing any training other than in the morning - if I don't get up and go, it is a struggle to make it happen later.   

If I try to split mine up the AM workout rarely happens. I have no problem in the evening. Coem spriong/summer morning workouts will get better, but this time of year i can't get myself out of bed.
2011-01-18 1:05 PM

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70E1Y720110115

Article regarding a runner being hit.......by a train.

Edited by Tucker_lr 2011-01-18 1:05 PM
2011-01-18 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Man - I don't think I'm going to have time to go back and catch up on all the great posting that's been going on over the past week - would probably take me quite awhile.

This last week was a total bust - work was kicking my butt and totally draining me of any energy I had left so I was collapsing into bed immediately after tuck in of my 5 kiddos.  Then Friday I came down with a cold and it blew my whole weekend.  Today I'm finally feeling good enough to attempt 'something' - just not sure what it should be.

I feel like I go strong for a week, and then am down for a week for one reason or another - so that when I pick back up again the following week, it's like starting over.  I just need to get over the hump and make it two full weeks in a row.  I have 2 months to my first Tri, and I really need to get my butt in gear.

2011-01-18 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3306722

User image

Melon Presser
Tucker_lr - 2011-01-19 2:05 AM http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70E1Y720110115

Yes, I saw that earlier on another forum ... horrible and sad.

Please, please, please, pleeeaaaaaase always be aware of your surroundings. Always. For every possible reason there is, safety, yourself, others, and even just to not miss the gifts of what you might otherwise notice.

Be extremely careful if you run with music. I suggest one earbud only and keeping it low.
2011-01-18 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3306814

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-01-18 1:44 PM
Tucker_lr - 2011-01-19 2:05 AM http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70E1Y720110115

Please, please, please, pleeeaaaaaase always be aware of your surroundings. Always. For every possible reason there is, safety, yourself, others, and even just to not miss the gifts of what you might otherwise notice.

Be extremely careful if you run with music. I suggest one earbud only and keeping it low.

If I run with music, this is my go to - it works great, I also recommend it to anyone that is running with music! 
2011-01-18 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3306822

User image

Champion
lounav - 2011-01-18 1:46 PM
TriAya - 2011-01-18 1:44 PM

If I run with music, this is my go to - it works great, I also recommend it to anyone that is running with music! 

I run to the music of nature and my body.  It is enough for me.
2011-01-18 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3306814

User image

Expert
Cambridge
TriAya - 2011-01-18 7:44 PM

I've said this so many times to my friends etc, they  never listen
Its so annoying when you are cycling or something, and some prat is cycling slowly/fully earphoned up, but doesn't notice. Same with joggers on the bike paths, I have a bell, if you can't hear me ringing the bell behind you... whats the point....  
2011-01-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3307107

User image

Expert
Cambridge
SteveyD - 2011-01-18 9:15 PM
TriAya - 2011-01-18 7:44 PM

I've said this so many times to my friends etc, they  never listen
Its so annoying when you are cycling or something, and some prat is cycling slowly/fully earphoned up, but doesn't notice. Same with joggers on the bike paths, I have a bell, if you can't hear me ringing the bell behind you... whats the point....  

In fact, I remember there was another one, a jogger on a beach...

http://www.examiner.com/airlines-airport-in-national/freak-plane-crash-kills-jogger 

The unfortunate jogger, Mr. Jones, was listening to music on his iPod and was unaware that he was in danger

[/quote 

2011-01-18 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge

How is everyone? I'm a bit bruised and battered from football yesterday, but holding up!
Haven't updated logs in ages. Will do soon!

2011-01-18 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Hi fellow Mad Manatees.  Hope everyone is well.  I've hopped off of the lazy train I've been riding for a week!!

Saw this today and had to share:

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the less you have left the faster it rolls.
2011-01-18 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3307225

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
crews - 2011-01-18 4:09 PM Hi fellow Mad Manatees.  Hope everyone is well.  I've hopped off of the lazy train I've been riding for a week!!

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the less you have left the faster it rolls.

Ha ha, nice quote.

In regards to running with music.   I might be in the minority here, but I love listening to my music while I exercise.   There's something about hearing that "one" song that gets you moving a little faster, or gets you motivated to go on when you think you can't.  I completely agree that you have to be responsible when you do choose to workout with music.  For me I run with the volume low so that I'm aware of my surroundings.  When I'm on the treadmill though....crank it up!

2011-01-18 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3307417

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
cggale - 2011-01-18 5:59 PM
crews - 2011-01-18 4:09 PM Hi fellow Mad Manatees.  Hope everyone is well.  I've hopped off of the lazy train I've been riding for a week!!

Ha ha, nice quote.

In regards to running with music.   I might be in the minority here, but I love listening to my music while I exercise.   There's something about hearing that "one" song that gets you moving a little faster, or gets you motivated to go on when you think you can't.  I completely agree that you have to be responsible when you do choose to workout with music.  For me I run with the volume low so that I'm aware of my surroundings.  When I'm on the treadmill though....crank it up!

I run with music too, its probably the only reason why I look forward to (and make it through) alot of runs.  Love it.  I just got a swimp3 and cant wait to play with that esp when I start doing longer swims on a regular basis..
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38