BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-04-05 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3269333

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!

Oh my....hearing you GUYS talk about getting under 140 makes me hope you are really short and small boned.  Because if not....well, I just got back under 140, and I'm 5 ft 4 on a good day (muttering to self...will not compare with others...just be happy with progress).  Seriously, very happy for anyone reaching or making progress towards their goals, so GO TEAM!

OK, so my tri buddy got the go ahead to actually RUN in our tri this weekend.  Spine doc was/is into tris and understands the desire.  Due to the situation with my father-in-law my workouts for the last week and a half have been catch as catch can.  So plan now is....bike/run brick tomorrow, run Thurs, swim Friday (and lift and stretch real good), off Saturday, race Sunday.  It's hard to taper from not much for a sprint, which probably doesn't need a taper anyway .   

2011-04-05 9:36 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
I'm 5'9" , but being at the point where you can workout 15 hours a week helps burn off some extra calories.  I have averaged around 1 pound per week, so a reasonable decrease.  I was 180... before I started doing triathlons.  When I was injured I just wasn't able to burn anything off and had more time around food.  I also haven't had a candybar in a couple months.  I do not lose weight easily, so there is hope 8). 
2011-04-05 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

I am also 5'9 and I cannot really ever imagine myself getting under 160 and that isn't my goal to be honest.  I would be very happy with 170, building some muscle to replace the fat, 165 would be pretty shredded and I doubt I could keep that weight for long.  I don't really intend to get the body of a long distance athlete but I guess we will see what happens as the miles start adding up ;P

Marcus

2011-04-06 11:38 AM

User image

I am almost there and I am really trying not to get nervous! my plan this week is today run/bike, tomorrow swim, rest Friday and race is Saturday!

I think I have everything I need, wet suit, tri suit, tennis shoes, race belt, bike shoes, helmet, googles and bike! and with all the $ I spent I don't think this will be my only one, so I hope I do well

2011-04-06 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Ariasx, looks like we have similar race week plans going on .  Good luck on Saturday.  I'm sure you'll do great.  Is this your first tri?

Another very windy bike ride today (25-30 mph for the wind, not me).  At least the wind was in my face on the way out, and at my back on the way home. 

2011-04-06 11:53 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Don't forget a really loud towel to put near your bike for your transition area so you can find it.  I like my rainbow colored one.  It all depends on whether you have assigned transition areas or not.  Good luck and enjoy!

2011-04-06 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
Minnesota

Good luck Ariasx and Squirt for your Sat tris! 

I got outside and biked for the first time this season! That's my indication that spring is here.

2011-04-06 7:34 PM

Hey Jenny - My name is Megan. I just quit smoking and just like you realized that I was holding on to my baby weight as a security blanket. I am training for my first sprint triathlon for August 27th.

What are my essentials?

2011-04-06 11:46 PM

New user

Alright Crew, need a quick piece of advice.  Going on an overnight family trip next week and trying to fit in my workouts.  Easy question....can I run two days in a row if I respect the normal boundaries?  I try to skip a day in between but mostly just because I want to, not sure if that is a "rule" or not.  Now keep in mind, training for a sprint....

Help?

2011-04-07 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Sounds like some great things are going on...

First of all, good luck to Squirt and Ariasx2 in their races this weekend.  Will they be your first?  If so, relax and enjoy and try not to worry too much about the clock! 

Baowolf - I like the new avatar.  When do you leave for the east coast?  I have 2 friends who are doing Boston for the first time who are freaking out (taper madness).  Two others are doing it as well but not for the first time and they don't seem quite so uptight!  I'm interested to hear more about how you dropped to what seems like close to "racing weight".  I have creeped up ~5 lbs from where I got last year after doing P90X and was thinking that getting back there might help epsecially in the long distances and of course on the bike.  I think I just need to get back to more core work and being good about what I'm eating.  I'm one of those that can't have just one cookie becasue I'd eat 10!

Todd - Great job on your HM.  That's faster than me.  And yes, you are right, mile 11-13 is not fun!  We have a half here that has a downhill section from ~mile 5-10 or so and when you get back on the flat it feels like you might as well be going uphill again.  The only times I have not felt like that from mile 11-13 is when I was marathon training.  And just so you know, it's the same sort of feeling at the end of a marathon!

tjcin - Way to go!  Great job at a new distance.  Sounds like a fun day!

ewengler - definitely a sign of spring when the bike comes outdoors!  I am a fair weather cyclist, so it's not quite warm enough for me outside yet.

peteacher - I'm the wrong one to ask.  I don't see a problem with running back-to-back days, but I'm used to that.  I think you'll be OK if the distances aren't too far (as in not significantly longer than you are used to) and that you aren't trying to go all out both days.

I have actually been riding some on the trainer and have gotten back to running.  I am somehow considering a June marathon - apparently I've gone insane!  I am signed up for a sprint in July and am hoping to do an Oly in Aug if it fits with our vacation schedule.

2011-04-07 10:31 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Courtney, aside from workout 13 to 15 hours a week, my daily calorie intake has been around 1500 with no chocolate, donuts, and not too many cookie binges for 4 months. I did have birthday cake in march.  So for me I have to workout and keep my calories very low. 

Wow a June mary.... I guess that is not too much worse than me with an April mary and a July IM.  Don't sign up for a 3rd mary before Christmas though 8). 

Running back to back days is not a problem, just don't do speedwork back to back.  In marathon training you really only have 1 or possibly  2 days of not running back to back per week.

Cortney you must have a lot of fast friends to have 4 of them going to Boston.  You can probably join them in a year or two, you have the speed, it is just getting that last 5 miles of conditioning in.  I leave a week from Saturday.  I will be getting in late Saturday, picking up my race number Sunday, racing Monday and then leaving right away to get back to work.  I will be shooting for a 3:15:00 mary, but we see how the hills from mile 17 through 21 treat me.  Everyone says the course saps your strength and I would have liked another month to train for this one. 

My bike is still on the the trainer as it snowed last night with ice on the roads this morning.  It appearantly isn't spring here yet after all.

2011-04-07 11:33 AM

User image

Yes! this is my first tri!Surprised

Ana

2011-04-07 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3434342

User image

Las Vegas

Good Luck this weekend Ariasx2.  Remember to smile at the finish line (through the tears). It's very emotional to "have made it" on your first Tri. It's an awesme feeling to have come this far and have something to prove to those who are wishing they had the guts to do what you are doing! Have fun!

My first race is on the 16th.  Just got all the race info in the email today.  I am one of 10 Clydes in the 40 and over.  At least I won't finish 11th!

Heading to gym now to swim in full gear.

Mike

2011-04-07 3:30 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Yay snow today and 20mph winds.  Here is today's workout, after 6:34 I turn into the headwind for 2 miles ish.

tempo run

Pace, Heart rate
8:15, 135 (wu mile & the rest are quarter mile increments, jumped out too hot on the first quarter was sposed to be 7:45)

7:24, 140
7:30, 145
7:19, 148
6:42, 157
6:34, 162
7:05, 165
7:20, 166
7:44, 162
7:57, 160
8:17, 156

Goal Marathon HR will be 165 +/- 3.  Swim tonight and then a day off Yay, well from exercize not work.  Hope others had better weather today.

2011-04-08 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

The tri on Sunday is actually my second tri.  I did one in October 2009, but had an arch tear that needed some time to heal after that.  Then did a half in Feb 2010, but IT band issues made for a lousy time on that and more down time afterwards, which slid into more than it needed to be.  So I didn't do any more tris 'till now.  Trying to be more proactive on the IT band, arch, etc.  and have been going to a new podiatrist (who runs and does tris), a sports chiropractor that does ART and also PT to hopefully learn to do a better job on stretching/strengthening/etc. 

Baowolf - I hear you on the wind, been crazy w/ that here too.  Awesome job on the diet...nice to see such incredible success for someone who the weight does not just "fall off".  Hope spring comes soon!

Mike - you are so right, and good luck in your tri!

Ana - the towel advice is good!  Hope you have a great time tomorrow.

PETeacher - best advice, and hardest to figure out I think is to listen to your body.  OK to run a little tired or 2 days in a row if you're feeling good otherwise.

Megan - welcome, and tell us a bit about yourself.  I'm not sure what's up with the group archiving and such, but would guess many of us will stick around to encourage each other

Beth - glad spring arrived! 

Hey to everyone else.  If I missed you...it's not intentional...just a middle aged brain at work!

2011-04-08 10:00 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

They are starting up new groups for the spring.  They mix it up 3 or 4 times a year to get people a chance to join and such.  It also allows our fearless leader to have a break. 

More snow today. .... at least it is an off day. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-08 10:01 AM

2011-04-10 5:25 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey guys... sorry I was MIA last week - busy with kid stuff mostly.... Looks like the "summer" mentor group has begun and we've been archived! Feel free to keep posting here, and I'll keep checking in! I probably am not going to sign up for a new mentor group this time around, I'm feeling a bit like I don't quite have the time to to do it justice right now. For any of you who decide to bow out at this point, good luck with the rest of your season!

Jenny
2011-04-10 8:42 AM

User image

Regular
Minnesota
GOOD LUCK ANA AND SQUIRT! We want to hear all about your tris this weekend!
2011-04-10 5:05 PM

User image

Hi everyone! I survived! actually it was awesome I had so much fun!

thank you for all your advice everything helped from the towel to the swimming and brick workouts and everything else you guys helped me with.

the swimming actually went pretty good at the beginning, at the end I had trouble swimming in a straight line and kept going into the ocean so I started getting aggravated and tried swimming breast but felt like I wasn't moving fast enough so went back to free style until I finally was out of the water, but even with that my time was better than when I practice at the pool!  the wetsuit definitely helped.

The bike ride was great we were riding by the ocean so the view was really nice eventhough it was windy I enjoyed it.  My running was good too I remember that you all told me to enjoy it so I just kept my pace and got excited when I passed younger people  it was great, I also remember to smile every time they were taking pictures

My family was there cheering for me and I realized that after all the football, volleyball, basketball games and karate and cheering competitions that I have gone and cheer for both my kids this was the first time that they were cheering for me! amazing!

Now my 16 year old daughter and my 20 year old son are talking about doing one too!

I am so excited I am ready for the next one!

2011-04-10 5:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Ariasx2: good for you, some on the main reasons most of us are doing these things too!I just did my first Duathlon of the season, 11:00 minutes better than last year, and that WITH bronchitis this year. Had some really bad legs and foot cramps after during my swim at the Y. Must be low on something.
2011-04-10 7:02 PM

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Awesome job Ana and Todd. I'm impressed that you did an ocean swim, Ana. That is tough! And 11 min faster, Todd, is very inspiring. Great job guys!

Edited by ewengler 2011-04-10 7:02 PM

2011-04-10 7:02 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Grats on your Tri, sounds like the kids don't want to be outdone by Mom.  Very impressive and it sounds like you got what you were supposed to from a first try.  How awsomely fun they are.  It is great to be able to compete with my 16 year old in running races and he will catch me sooner or later, but it gives us something to share.  The good news is that if he can beat me in a 5k he has a decent shot at a college scholarship. 

Really stoked that you both had a blast. 

I have signed up to run a mentor group for the spring if anyone wants to tag along there.  It isn't on the boards yet, but hopefuly will be soon.  I am in full taper mode, spare time, spare energy eatting too much, looking at the weather, all that stuff.  My run went well today, it turns out my current z2 effort is where my LT effort was 1 year ago. Very cool.  I can't wait until my shorter runs are in the 6:59 or lower range without my HR up too high.  Probably another 6 months, we will see.  All very exciting though.  Keep at it, it takes time to overcome 20 years of not so much activity, but it is definately better than watching TV!

2011-04-10 9:02 PM

User image

@Ana and CobraTodd CONGRATS! You guys are an inspiration to keep on truckin.

@baowolf Keep us posted on the new group-you'll be a great mentor!

I'm in quite a rough patch of my training right now. Seeing a PT about my rotator cuff and shin/bursitis problems. Biking is going well-I LOVE my bike so much! Running is so-so and swimming is non-existent. The good news is, I should finally be getting back into the pool this week and hopefully, my leg strengthening, icing and stretching will improve over the next few weeks. Tris are no joke! Congrats to everyone for taking on this sport!
2011-04-10 10:26 PM
in reply to: #3438797

New user

THAT'S AWESOME!!

Ariasx2 - 2011-04-10 5:05 PM

Hi everyone! I survived! actually it was awesome I had so much fun!

thank you for all your advice everything helped from the towel to the swimming and brick workouts and everything else you guys helped me with.

the swimming actually went pretty good at the beginning, at the end I had trouble swimming in a straight line and kept going into the ocean so I started getting aggravated and tried swimming breast but felt like I wasn't moving fast enough so went back to free style until I finally was out of the water, but even with that my time was better than when I practice at the pool!  the wetsuit definitely helped.

The bike ride was great we were riding by the ocean so the view was really nice eventhough it was windy I enjoyed it.  My running was good too I remember that you all told me to enjoy it so I just kept my pace and got excited when I passed younger people  it was great, I also remember to smile every time they were taking pictures

My family was there cheering for me and I realized that after all the football, volleyball, basketball games and karate and cheering competitions that I have gone and cheer for both my kids this was the first time that they were cheering for me! amazing!

Now my 16 year old daughter and my 20 year old son are talking about doing one too!

I am so excited I am ready for the next one!

2011-04-11 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

It is pretty awesome to hear that people are starting their Tri seasons already!  I checked today when I got home and I still have a sliver of snow about 4x1x1 feet from my massive snowbank that was in my front yard this winter.  June 5th cannot come soon enough for me!

Baowolf I am joining your group for sure!  Just post on here when it is up and running!

Marcus

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  

of 23