BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-24 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Joe, did you see the new BT article on training with Meniere's and vertigo?

2011-05-25 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3517099

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

djb45 - 2011-05-24 9:24 PM Joe, did you see the new BT article on training with Meniere's and vertigo?

I was going to ask the same thing. 

I'm going to make myself go to a spin class this morning.  I have NO motivation.  I hope things change soon. 

What's everyone else doing today?

2011-05-25 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3517099

User image

Master
Baltimore

djb45 - 2011-05-24 10:24 PM Joe, did you see the new BT article on training with Meniere's and vertigo?

I have now!  Thanks for the heads up.  Unfortunately (or fortunately probably), I don't seem to have meniere's.  I forget what exactly ruled it out, but I think it was a combo that I'm not losing hearing and the inner ear balance tests they did.  The latest doc (a neurologist) said its most likely vestibular something-or-other.  Probably not migraines though (my cousin, and ENT, thought it might be migraines presenting w/o the pain I'm used to) but a viral infection that just needs time to clear up and heal.  No structural damage is evident.  I did try my migraine meds before playing softball the other day and it didn't seem to help.?

Although...I don't know why, but yesterday I woke up feeling well...I felt like if I went for a run, I'd be OK (I've haven't felt like that in a long time).  I think I'm finally over the migraine (regular type) I had a week ago and that's part of the reason.  I'm getting back on the biking horse, so to speak, after all the talk yesterday, I got motivated to copy all of Jorge's workouts from last fall winter into my plan and start following it again (I've been struggling to maintain focus w/o a plan), so I only had time to do the bike last night.  Tonight, I've got engagement photos (what fun!) so I think I'm gonna try a run tomorrow.  I got a death stare from my fiancee yesterday when i said I wanted to try at lunch today...I believe her response was something to the effect of "do stupid things and get dizzy on your own time, you better not ruin the photos by being sick tomorrow".  Yikes!  Happy wife, happy life, right???  No run today

2011-05-25 7:47 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Busy day at work today so I'll probably do a run this evening.

Joe-glad to hear you are feeling somewhat better.  Hope the run goes well.

Randy
2011-05-25 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3516715

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-05-24 5:27 PM
jsiegs - 2011-05-24 2:26 PM
cbrookhart - 2011-05-24 2:45 PM

By that I mean I try to do as much cycling in Z3 and above as possible.  I don't do alot of Z5 intervals but  feel there is alot to be gained with Z3 and Z4 intervals.  I use a powertap but you can adjust plans to HR or RPE.  I have the luxury of more time since my kids are now in HS but if I were looking at 3-4 hours a week I would do 3 interval workouts.

Randy

As far as Z3 and Z4.  Are you talking about heart rate zones?  I read an article on BT that lactate threshold was a better measure than HR.  I don't know my LT.  I saw there is a way to find them, I just haven't done it.  Do you think it is a much better measure? Is it worth figuring it out?

I put my bike on my trainer and was all ready to have a good hard interval ride.  8 minutes in, my legs had different ideas.  I ended up doing an easy 30 min ride and stretching for 15 minutes.  I hope to feel better tomorrow.

Christy

Without getting too complicated - you are talking about the same thing.  You do a test to figure out your LT.  Plug that number into a calculator and it spits out your training zones (5 of them that we care about).  Doing the test is the right way to do it (there are other formulas/calculators, such as 220-age for max HR, that very generalizations and NOT useful for us).

haha, too bad about the bike - happens to us all from time to time though .  next time, I'd really suggest Warming up (I'm assumng you didn't if you went easy after 8 min).  I've gotten the following Warm up I really like from Jorge's plans, it's 20 min total, and I do it for almost all my bikes now.

10 min easy, spin your legs, start Z1, end Z2 

5 min alternating 30 sec @ threshold/Z4 and 30 sec Z2 (if your intervals will be high intensity, Z5 or higher, for the main set, do 20 sec at Z5 and 40 sec Z2 instead).

5 min high Z2/low Z3

If you don't know your zones or don't have a HRM, go to Jorge's blog and click the third chart down on this page for a good idea of what each should feel like: http://coachjorgem.blogspot.com/2008/11/winter-cycling-plan-training-zones-and.html

This warm up seems to work really well for me, but you may need to adjust it for your specific needs.  A good warm up will really help getting your body ready for the much harder work to come.  Lots of times I've felt like it would be impossible to hold a given effort for longer (e.g. I'm getting tired with the 30 second warm ups at Z4, and my Main set has me doing that intensity twice for 20 min each), but it gets EASIER to hold it after a little bit.  Counter-intuitive, I know, but it's true. 

So, it's the same thing, just different ways to figure it out?  I'm guessing my Garmin does the 220-age. So doing the test would be more accurate max HR.  Is that right?  I sware, the more i think I know, the less I know.  Thanks for the warm up.  I'll try it. 

Christy

not quite - You're looking for your lactate threshold HR, not your Max HR.  There are formulas that use Max HR but it's much harder to figure out and pretty widely considered a useless number for setting training zones.  There's lots of mis-information about Lactate Threshold, it's definition, etc, but suffice it to say when people refer to LT or threshold anything, it's an effort you could do for about an hour (an arbitrary time, but it somewhat correlates to a physological phenomena going on in your body that defintes the boundary between a sustainable effort and unstustainable effort, caused by your body's ability to clear lactate faster than it is produced).

There are test protocols on BT for finding your LT HR for the bike and run (they will be different) but I need to run right now to a meeting so I'll post later (unless someone else knows them and can post).

2011-05-25 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3516445

User image

Veteran
Naples
jsiegs - 2011-05-24 3:30 PM
[email protected] - 2011-05-24 1:45 PM

Hey Gang! 

Started back Sunday after taking a week off after 1/2 IM.  Did an easy one hour bike ride on trainer Sunday morning, very low gear just to get the feeling back.  It felt good. 

Monday swam 3600 (so much for going easy : ).  Started the 24 week full IM training program on week 3.   A little tired but body felt good, as I start this training, I have begun to realize just how crazy triathletes are.  I am in good company    Kidding aside, it feels good to be back taking it slow and easy this week but still putting distance in following training plan. 

Have a great rest of your day!!!!!!

Welcome back!  3600 in the pool sounds like a tough way to get back in the groove!

Yeah, now that I have had a day to think about it, it was silly and I did feel tired doing it, yeah, it was silly, but after having a week off I was excited to do anything and as much as I hate it, I am a 'stick to the plan' kind of guy.  Still trying to break that habit.  My next swim (thursday or friday) isn't so tough, easy day just 30 mins open water.  See how I feel, also Saturday running an hour and Sunday a ride with group about 30 miles. 

2011-05-25 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3517476

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-05-25 7:50 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-05-24 5:27 PM
jsiegs - 2011-05-24 2:26 PM
cbrookhart - 2011-05-24 2:45 PM

not quite - You're looking for your lactate threshold HR, not your Max HR.  There are formulas that use Max HR but it's much harder to figure out and pretty widely considered a useless number for setting training zones.  There's lots of mis-information about Lactate Threshold, it's definition, etc, but suffice it to say when people refer to LT or threshold anything, it's an effort you could do for about an hour (an arbitrary time, but it somewhat correlates to a physological phenomena going on in your body that defintes the boundary between a sustainable effort and unstustainable effort, caused by your body's ability to clear lactate faster than it is produced).

There are test protocols on BT for finding your LT HR for the bike and run (they will be different) but I need to run right now to a meeting so I'll post later (unless someone else knows them and can post).

Is this it? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

Good luck with the pictures tonight.  You're a smart man for not running today.  Hope you can try tomorrow.

2011-05-25 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

That's the one.  Jorge has a slightly different one on his blog (take the avg of the whole 30 min and multiply by 0.97, hence it will be lower).  Either is probably fine, a few bpm in either direction isn't a big deal.  What's more important is to correlate to RPE (the chart at the bottom of the BT article is great) and make sure you use that feedback.

Just remember: the quality of the test dictates the quality of the data.  If you mess up (go too hard or too easy) plan to try again.  One thing I bet Randy can attest to with power, is that half of your improvement when starting to train with power is just due to being able to do the tests better.

2011-05-25 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3518098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-05-25 11:43 AM

That's the one.  Jorge has a slightly different one on his blog (take the avg of the whole 30 min and multiply by 0.97, hence it will be lower).  Either is probably fine, a few bpm in either direction isn't a big deal.  What's more important is to correlate to RPE (the chart at the bottom of the BT article is great) and make sure you use that feedback.

Just remember: the quality of the test dictates the quality of the data.  If you mess up (go too hard or too easy) plan to try again.  One thing I bet Randy can attest to with power, is that half of your improvement when starting to train with power is just due to being able to do the tests better.

Thanks.  I'm going to give it a try. 

2011-05-26 5:36 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning everyone-have to be on the road today for work.  Ride and then a short run on tap this evening.

Randy
2011-05-26 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Good morning everyone.  I have no idea what to do today.  I think I'm going to try an easy run to see how my hip and knee feel.  But I'm not sure.  Spin class yesterday was good.  I didn't have the motivation to do anything on my own.  Not sure what my deal is.  Post race hangover?  I feel like this week is a wasted week, as far as training goes.  I hope this long weekend helps me get my act together. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

Christy

2011-05-26 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

Figured I would drop and say 'Hey' to everyone.

The last few weeks have been good for training, not near as many swim/bike/run sessions as I would of liked, but the quality of each one has been good.

The last week however has been brutal, only had the chance to work out once this week. Did an hour of strength training, and then did an hour run on the treadmill. Felt since I missed my strength session on Monday, I'd combine it on Tuesday with my run. Needless to say, my legs hate me now.

I am trying to get my local bike shop to get some trainers in so I can finally buy one, they keep selling before I can get one...GRRRR

I definitely feel like this will help, as for me to get in a solid training ride (little traffic, etc) I have to drive about 12 miles and park, adding about 30 minutes on each side of  my ride. So an hour ride (for example), turns into a 2 hour session.

2011-05-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3519469

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

What a crazy week this has been. I'm back on the training wagon today and I have a full couple days ahead of me. Starting with spin today, Tri Training tomorrow, a group ride on Saturday... Sunday I'll probably enjoy the day off! I hate scheduling things in the middle of my workout times, but sometimes life happens. I can only imagine what will happen when I have two kids to tend to on a daily basis!

2011-05-26 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3519810

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-05-26 9:53 AM

I can only imagine what will happen when I have two kids to tend to on a daily basis!

You will be busy!  It is really hard to find time for yourself.  I wasn't able to do anything today (as far as training goes).  Like you said, life happens.   We can only do so much.  I was going to try to do something tonight, but  I just stuffed my face with Five Guys.  Not sure I can do anything but lay on the sofa. 

I did cut the grass and plant some flowers today.  That should free up some time this weekend for training.

2011-05-27 6:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

It is amazing how depressing it can be to look at your training logs when there isn't much in them.  I'm REALLY hoping to change that this weekend.  My husband "thinks" he can be home early enough for me to do a long run tonight.  We have a babysitter coming at 6 so we can go to dinner.  I don't think he will really get home in time for me to run for 2 hours, shower, and be ready to go out at 6.  So...not sure if i do a long run on the treadmill Frown, or try to do it tomorrow.  I'm leaning towards tomorrow. I'd be so pissed if I ran on the treadmill and he actually made it home in time for me to run outside.

Does everyone have big plans for the long weekend?  Anyone racing?

Christy

2011-05-27 7:49 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
No big plans here.  Weather looks good but getting hot with highs around 90 through the weekend.

Swim at lunch then an easy spin and short run this evening.  Will shoot for 2-2.5 hour ride tomorrow, an hour or so run on Sunday and then back on the bike on Monday.  Maybe an easy swim tucked in somewhere over the weekend.  My next race is a week from tomorrow so I will dial it back a bit next week.  Its a local sprint but always well attended.

Looking forward to a long weekend.

Randy

2011-05-27 8:11 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Hey, all. I hope to get in a swim today. My hubby and I are volunteering at a special olympics event from 12-5. Tomorrow I plan on an open water swim and bike. We'll be in Austin Monday watching the "boys" race at the capitol triathlon--pretty big deal. My next race is next week. It will be my first open water--short at 300 meters. Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!
2011-05-27 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi guys: Looking for some advice here... I have my 10-miler race tomorrow (woot!). 

My hip/pirformis has been bothering me for the past 2 weeks. It's been tight and aggravated ..."fired up" as my PT used to call it. And my runs have been hurting like hell because of all the tightness - plus, I'm pretty sure it's pressing on a nerve. I have been stretching and foam rolling like CRAZY to relax it, and using heat therapy to get blood flowing to those tissues.

Last night I was using a tennis ball and I found a knot that I couldn't get out right where the hip joint and pirformis meet. I think this is causing some of the problems. However, when I tried to massage the knot, I was getting pain all down the back of my leg.

So here's my question. Given that race day is tomorrow, should I try to get a chiro/massage appt this afternoon? Is the day before race day bad to get treatment? I am not planning on going crazy tomorrow, I'm just racing to finish the race. My pace will be rather slow I think, so no worries there about affecting my time.  My bigger question is whether you should avoid massage the day before a long run (does it damage the tissues)?

2011-05-27 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3521442

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

I went to Tri training this morning - 11 mile spin, 1.75 jog/walk, roughly 700 yard swim. I had planned on a group ride tomorrow, but they aren't meeting.. grr!! I got on the email list so I know when they are going out again. I may hit the pavement and get some running in instead.

Since I like to go off topic a lot, :P I thought I'd share this:

A lady in my Tri class who is 70, did the same Tri I did, it was also her first one. She started training in September, she didn't know how to swim. She took some Masters classes (still does), took the info Greg (Tri instructor) gave her, and learned. She does very well.

This morning we were talking to Greg about his IM (wow, what a story!) and he turned to her and said, so you are thinking about doing an IM? She said yes. I about died. All kidding aside, my jaw literally dropped!! We talked for a while after class. This lady just became a HUGE inspiration to me. She is incredible.

She is very serious about doing an IM one day. On my ride home I thought to myself: What the heck, Karla... if she desires to do one... so should you! I may be 70, I may be 40. Who knows. I think the more I'm surrounded by people who have done one, or read these stories, or do more tri's... the more I think about it.

I love reading your reports, they are really inspiring. I truly bow down to those who have done HIM, or have done and IM, or thinking about one - really, very inspirational!

Thank you Joe and Randy for this group! Have a great LONG weekend!!

2011-05-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3521578

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-05-27 8:59 AM

Hi guys: Looking for some advice here... I have my 10-miler race tomorrow (woot!). 

My hip/pirformis has been bothering me for the past 2 weeks. It's been tight and aggravated ..."fired up" as my PT used to call it. And my runs have been hurting like hell because of all the tightness - plus, I'm pretty sure it's pressing on a nerve. I have been stretching and foam rolling like CRAZY to relax it, and using heat therapy to get blood flowing to those tissues.

Last night I was using a tennis ball and I found a knot that I couldn't get out right where the hip joint and pirformis meet. I think this is causing some of the problems. However, when I tried to massage the knot, I was getting pain all down the back of my leg.

So here's my question. Given that race day is tomorrow, should I try to get a chiro/massage appt this afternoon? Is the day before race day bad to get treatment? I am not planning on going crazy tomorrow, I'm just racing to finish the race. My pace will be rather slow I think, so no worries there about affecting my time.  My bigger question is whether you should avoid massage the day before a long run (does it damage the tissues)?

I don't know the right answer to this.  But..I got a massage the Monday before my Sunday race.  I think it was a bad idea.  I was really sore.  I'm not sure if it was the massage or not, but I won't get one that close to a race again.

Good luck tomorrow!

2011-05-27 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Nicole - I don't have any advice for you, I wish I did Are you sure it's not sciatica? (I don't know if that's been mentioned or not) I have that, and the pain down your leg sounds similar. Is it your right leg by chance? I actually ended up having two outpatient surgeries on my back - steroid injections really, but the second one he really did a number on me. Saying that, I did or still do, have two bulging discs that were pressing on the sciatic nerve.

Anyway. Have you had an MRI done or anything?

Good luck on your race!!

2011-05-27 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
I was pitching in the championship intramural softball game last night and took a line drive shot right off the top of my left ankle. It hurt pretty bad initially but I was eventually able to walk around and not feel much pain at all with moving it and was able to finish out the game. This morning I woke up to some swelling, lots of stiffness, and pain both to touch and move my ankle. I am hoping that it will go away for Sundays big race but we'll see I guess.
2011-05-27 9:31 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
nmladic - 2011-05-27 8:59 AM

Nicole-I am a big believer in ART "Active Release Therapy".  Met a local chiropractor at a race last December that is certified in ART.  He worked on a few spots after the race and it really helped.  Fortunately he is less than 5 minutes from my house.  He has helped me get through lots of issues including somethings right before races.  Some issues may take a few sessions and others he has been able to help significantly in only one visit.  He works with alot of triathletes and runners.  For what it is worth I have always been a skeptic about these types of treatment but am a big believer now.  May not "fix" you for your race but may be a long term option.

Randy
2011-05-27 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3520831

User image

Veteran
Naples
cbrookhart - 2011-05-26 6:11 PM
khharms - 2011-05-26 9:53 AM

I can only imagine what will happen when I have two kids to tend to on a daily basis!

You will be busy!  It is really hard to find time for yourself.  I wasn't able to do anything today (as far as training goes).  Like you said, life happens.   We can only do so much.  I was going to try to do something tonight, but  I just stuffed my face with Five Guys.  Not sure I can do anything but lay on the sofa. 

I did cut the grass and plant some flowers today.  That should free up some time this weekend for training.

Five Guys Rocks!!!!  it is a stuff your face experience and yummie : )  In the big scheme of things it's probably great to enjoy a day like today, don't freak out, and don't make it a habit : )  If you do you end up 20 pounds over what u want to be, like me.

2011-05-27 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3521655

User image

Veteran
Naples

MattCan - 2011-05-27 10:31 AM I was pitching in the championship intramural softball game last night and took a line drive shot right off the top of my left ankle. It hurt pretty bad initially but I was eventually able to walk around and not feel much pain at all with moving it and was able to finish out the game. This morning I woke up to some swelling, lots of stiffness, and pain both to touch and move my ankle. I am hoping that it will go away for Sundays big race but we'll see I guess.

Ouch!  man bummer, hope it goes away for Sunday

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56