BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-22 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3942395

Rochester
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
Q,
What does your hubby do in the ER? Me, I am a ER communication nurse at a Level 1 trauma hospital. Basically I get the calls of what's coming in and coordinate all the appropriate teams for whatever comes in.

2012-01-23 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies

Shelly-FitMomma2010

Cheri-CheriFortin

Ted-Sammeg

Tom-TLakatos1259

Michel-Michel.Sutton

Wendy-Emmrald

Matt-mjh1975

Mark-ChicagoMan65

Jacki-DaDooRunRun

Sean-sma777

Yvonne-Ybeal

Kent-kentkillsit

Peter-peterflagg

Lauren-lmo123

Mark-mrkwhittaker

Todd-trei

Dave-oriolepwr

Quincy-quincyf

Here's the new list with Tom's correct handle, sorry 'bout that Tom!!! The link should still work!

2012-01-23 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4005045

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

peterflagg - 2012-01-22 8:37 PM Q,
What does your hubby do in the ER? Me, I am a ER communication nurse at a Level 1 trauma hospital. Basically I get the calls of what's coming in and coordinate all the appropriate teams for whatever comes in.

Aha! DH is an ER physician in our neighborhood hospital. So not Trauma...they send those cases to Stroger...our hospital is more of a knife and gun club with an (over) dose of Heroin thrown in. Charming. They just had a roll and go a few days ago.

I actually make it sound worse than it is...it's actually one of the best places in Chicago to get treated for a heart attack! And I believe that everyone in my family has been treated in the ER at least once by now...I also had my shoulder surgery there.

Did we ever ascertain what Rochester you live in? Minn? NY?

2012-01-23 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4002655

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Opinions on Hrm strap needed....m
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-20 8:53 PM

So I ordered my 910xt and it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I ordered the one without the hrm strap though, because I can get the premium strap less expensive than the 50 extra dollars they wanted with the monitor. In doing some research though, it seems people have trouble with the new premium soft strap. I wear mostly tech shirts for working out so I'm wondering if I'd be better off ordering the older strap.

Any opinions?

thanks for any help.

Shelly

Can't wait to hear ALL about it!

2012-01-23 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

So, what's everyone up to today?

I had a nice streak going, but my son caught a cold at the gym daycare and now my daughter and I have it. I could press through and get a workout done, but I don't really see a reason to do that.

instead I'm going to spend some time working on my off season house projects. For those of you who are planning on their first real season of training and racing, it might behoove you to look around your house and see if there are any places you can "work ahead" now so you don't have to worry about it later...my house tends to get neglected when it's nice out and I want to be runningridingswimmingdrinkingbeeronthepatio...

I have identified 3 major choke points in my home that need to be fixed. Both to make getting to my bike and tri gear easier and make everyone's stuff easier to find/put away. For me it's our office, our mudroom, and our master closet...all of our disorganization stems from those three places, so I'm on a mission to reorganize them now so I can 'play' all summer long. I've got DH on board and we're slowly putting a dent in all three (they have to be done simultaneously). I am being really hard on myself about getting rid of crap we don't need or don't use anymore. (and no Dave, I can't talk Chris into converting the office into a workout room...not yet anyhow)...

What non-training/tri related stuff can you do now so you can spend more time training (relatively) guilt free?

2012-01-23 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oh, and yesterday I was posting in a thread in Iron Distance talk that kind of got out of hand, but some of you might find interesting. Some really deep and heart felt posts despite the snarky OP...if you have a few minutes...

2012-01-23 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4005835

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-01-23 10:41 AM

peterflagg - 2012-01-22 8:37 PM Q,

Aha! DH is an ER physician in our neighborhood hospital. So not Trauma...they send those cases to Stroger...our hospital is more of a knife and gun club with an (over) dose of Heroin thrown in. Charming. They just had a roll and go a few days ago.

I actually make it sound worse than it is...it's actually one of the best places in Chicago to get treated for a heart attack! And I believe that everyone in my family has been treated in the ER at least once by now...I also had my shoulder surgery there.

Did we ever ascertain what Rochester you live in? Minn? NY?

How many cases where someones head was crushed by an ATM machine have you had?   Just wondering? 

2012-01-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4005867

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-01-23 10:51 AM

I had a nice streak going, but my son caught a cold at the gym daycare and now my daughter and I have it. I could press through and get a workout done, but I don't really see a reason to do that.

instead I'm going to spend some time working on my off season house projects. For those of you who are planning on their first real season of training and racing, it might behoove you to look around your house and see if there are any places you can "work ahead" now so you don't have to worry about it later...my house tends to get neglected when it's nice out and I want to be runningridingswimmingdrinkingbeeronthepatio...

I have identified 3 major choke points in my home that need to be fixed. Both to make getting to my bike and tri gear easier and make everyone's stuff easier to find/put away. For me it's our office, our mudroom, and our master closet...all of our disorganization stems from those three places, so I'm on a mission to reorganize them now so I can 'play' all summer long. I've got DH on board and we're slowly putting a dent in all three (they have to be done simultaneously). I am being really hard on myself about getting rid of crap we don't need or don't use anymore. (and no Dave, I can't talk Chris into converting the office into a workout room...not yet anyhow)...

What non-training/tri related stuff can you do now so you can spend more time training (relatively) guilt free?

Working from home today.   Sarah is home from school today due to sore throat/cold  took her to the Doc for a strep test (negative)

Have a bunch of work phone calls and a report to make.  The reality is I will probably hang out on BT for most of the day while <thinking> about working.   

Gonna run later  (5 miles or 4 depending on how it goes)

Plus I need to get the rest of that work crapola/stuff  out of my office so I can stop calling it an office, and start calling it  my computrainer room (pain cave)     

Oh and BTW  I did pick the over/under and which teams would cover the spread perfectly this weekend.  Soooo I am in the running to win the playoff football pool.   They are all Pats fans.  This means If I pick the Giants,  and they upset, I could win the thing!  (I also will need to pick the over/under correct)    If this happens  its like $2k   YAAAA  back to new tri bike if that occurs. (unlikely)

Agree with you.   Later when you are racing, training more,  and the weather turns nice,  you are not going to feel like doing anything but Runningridingswimming and drinking beer on Q's patio         So get those projects done NOW!  or to Pete   STAT!

2012-01-23 12:09 PM

Rochester
Q,
NY.

As far as heads smashed at ATM's. Never, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people shot and stabbed at 3 am "on the way home from church".
2012-01-23 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4006050

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

peterflagg - 2012-01-23 12:09 PM Q,
NY.

As far as heads smashed at ATM's. Never, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people shot and stabbed at 3 am "on the way home from church".

And it's always done by "these two dudes." Nobody ever gets beat up by just one guy...

2012-01-23 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4006045

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 12:08 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-23 10:51 AM

Working from home today.   Sarah is home from school today due to sore throat/cold  took her to the Doc for a strep test (negative)

Have a bunch of work phone calls and a report to make.  The reality is I will probably hang out on BT for most of the day whileabout working.   

Gonna run later  (5 miles or 4 depending on how it goes)

Plus I need to get the rest of that work crapola/stuff  out of my office so I can stop calling it an office, and start calling it  my computrainer room (pain cave)     

Oh and BTW  I did pick the over/under and which teams would cover the spread perfectly this weekend.  Soooo I am in the running to win the playoff football pool.   They are all Pats fans.  This means If I pick the Giants,  and they upset, I could win the thing!  (I also will need to pick the over/under correct)    If this happens  its like $2k   YAAAA  back to new tri bike if that occurs. (unlikely)

Agree with you.   Later when you are racing, training more,  and the weather turns nice,  you are not going to feel like doing anything but Runningridingswimming and drinking beer on Q's patio         So get those projects done NOW!  or to Pete   STAT!

Dude you need to get the basement done so Eileen will let you come race with us!!!

2012-01-23 12:37 PM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Hi Everyone. Hope all is well. I completely feel off track this past week and can feel it. I do have an excuse thoguh. ear ache ( infection in the ear and the canal) in the same ear and a cruddy cough. I thought this type of stuff was only for kids. Going to get back at it tonight and hit the hamster wheel.I did sneak in some bike shopping last week and today so it was not a total loss of a week.

Edited by mjh1975 2012-01-23 12:40 PM
2012-01-23 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4006128

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

mjh1975 - 2012-01-23 12:37 PM Hi Everyone. Hope all is well. I completely feel off track this past week and can feel it. I do have an excuse thoguh. ear ache ( infection in the ear and the canal) in the same ear and a cruddy cough. I thought this type of stuff was only for kids. Going to get back at it tonight and hit the hamster wheel.

It happens to all of us! It's frustrating to have made the commitment to get in shape and then not be able to do it because of a stupid cold! 

Don't worry too much about getting back right away...generally you are not going to make any fitness gains while you are sick, so rest might actually be more productive overall...

2012-01-23 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
quincyf - 2012-01-23 11:51 AM

Hey everybody, long time no post Embarassed

Work's been way crazy the last coupla weeks and has knocked me off track(which by the way, is REALLY easy to do). But, got back at it yesterday w/a 5 mile run in some snow and ice thanks to a small snowstorm we got over the weekend. Last year this storm woulda been blip on the radar with all the snow we had but this weekend, the local supermarkets looked like the zombie apocalypse was upon us and they could only be stopped with bread and milk.

Here's a lil clip of my wifes's running partner enjoying the white stuff over the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9ZJVjsCb4&list=UUedRO_4h-ilEkMFbOk2tf8w&index=1&feature=plcp

As far as taking care of the home stuff, that's awesome advice. I put together 2 lists, one for the stuff that really needs to get done and another listing what tasks buys me the most equity w/the wife. Then I throw the first one away Smile.  Makes for a much happier household if the garage door is working while I'm out running.

I have a 10 mile race on the calendar for Saturday which I have decided to approach like a training run since we're leaving for a ski trip later that day and I want to save my legs for the mountain.

Happy Monday!

2012-01-23 6:05 PM

User image

Sutton

Ahhh! THE LIST... I've debate for sometime and I think, I've resolve this issue. I'm selling the house including THE LIST. Darn Q, you had to remind me...

Where were we, Oh, went for a 6km run at 5:30pm, 36F, windy, rainy, icy roads, slipped, stepped into several pot holes, I decided to shorten it to 4km.

In my sweats, watching the NFL Total Access to see how I'm going to bet the SB (partial to the Pats).

Working from home all week, so my DW has booked meetings for the next 3 evenings, 25 years of marriage. Got to love it, more time to train.

2012-01-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4006909

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-23 6:05 PM

Ahhh! THE LIST... I've debate for sometime and I think, I've resolve this issue. I'm selling the house including THE LIST. Darn Q, you had to remind me...

Where were we, Oh, went for a 6km run at 5:30pm, 36F, windy, rainy, icy roads, slipped, stepped into several pot holes, I decided to shorten it to 4km.

In my sweats, watching the NFL Total Access to see how I'm going to bet the SB (partial to the Pats).

Working from home all week, so my DW has booked meetings for the next 3 evenings, 25 years of marriage. Got to love it, more time to train.

Michel   how do you see the SB going on points?  (50.5 I think it is)    besides training, you can also have beer and pizza every night. 

2012-01-23 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4006343

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sammeg - 2012-01-23 1:53 PM

Work's been way crazy the last coupla weeks and has knocked me off track(which by the way, is REALLY easy to do). But, got back at it yesterday w/a 5 mile run in some snow and ice thanks to a small snowstorm we got over the weekend. Last year this storm woulda been blip on the radar with all the snow we had but this weekend, the local supermarkets looked like the zombie apocalypse was upon us and they could only be stopped with bread and milk.

Here's a lil clip of my wifes's running partner enjoying the white stuff over the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9ZJVjsCb4&list=UUedRO_4h-ilEkMFbOk2tf8w&index=1&feature=plcp

As far as taking care of the home stuff, that's awesome advice. I put together 2 lists, one for the stuff that really needs to get done and another listing what tasks buys me the most equity w/the wife. Then I throw the first one away Smile.  Makes for a much happier household if the garage door is working while I'm out running.

I have a 10 mile race on the calendar for Saturday which I have decided to approach like a training run since we're leaving for a ski trip later that day and I want to save my legs for the mountain.

Happy Monday!

Ted-   Re: list(s)  You are a smart man!    10 mile run then ski?  THAT would be impossible for me.   Good luck with that!    Love that Dog!

2012-01-23 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4006128

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

mjh1975 - 2012-01-23 12:37 PM Hi Everyone. Hope all is well. I completely feel off track this past week and can feel it. I do have an excuse thoguh. ear ache ( infection in the ear and the canal) in the same ear and a cruddy cough. I thought this type of stuff was only for kids. Going to get back at it tonight and hit the hamster wheel.I did sneak in some bike shopping last week and today so it was not a total loss of a week.

That's the way to look at it.   There are lots of ways you need to make progress. Not all of them are training. 

2012-01-24 6:45 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks to some early comments I tried a new route for my running (really walking  LOL) in a developement across the street from my house.  And it is exactly a 2 mile loop.  Plus there are a number of side streets that I'm sure will almost double it when I'm ready.

It's funny, most have commented about the "dreadmil", I go out with no music, concentrate on my body, and enjoy the scenery.  I like the quiet, allows me to think, or not.

Of course I get to hear my thighs and calfs yell at me the whole TIME!  LOL

I also went to Sam's and picked up some wind pants and a jacket.  I think I might have caught something.  This site is contagious hehehe

Edited by TLakatos1259 2012-01-24 6:48 AM
2012-01-24 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4007095

User image

Sutton
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 9:05 PM

Michel   how do you see the SB going on points?  (50.5 I think it is)    besides training, you can also have beer and pizza every night. 

Those numbers look good, haven't looked at the spread though, is it 3.5 for the Giants?

Wine is the preferred beverage (Beer makes me feel blotted), Pizza is always good! Cool

That's it for this mornin'

Back to work...

2012-01-24 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4007101

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 9:08 PM

Happy Monday!

Ted-   Re: list(s)  You are a smart man!    10 mile run then ski?  THAT would be impossible for me.   Good luck with that!    Love that Dog!

Hahaa, My wife has the same sentiments. I think her exact words were, "What's wrong w/you? You're such a jacka$$@!!"

Truth is I'm in it for the free beer, it ends at the Blue Point Brewery and it definitely will not be run at race effort.

2012-01-24 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4007498

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-24 8:31 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 9:05 PM

Those numbers look good, haven't looked at the spread though, is it 3.5 for the Giants?

Wine is the preferred beverage (Beer makes me feel blotted), Pizza is always good! Cool

That's it for this mornin'

Back to work...

I'm thinking the over if Gronkowski is healthy, if he's not then under. He makes that much of a difference.

btw, for the record, this is not a happy SB for a disgruntled Jets fan. Just sayin.

2012-01-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4007840

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 9:36 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 9:08 PM

Happy Monday!

Hahaa, My wife has the same sentiments. I think her exact words were, "What's wrong w/you? You're such a jacka$$@!!"

Truth is I'm in it for the free beer, it ends at the Blue Point Brewery and it definitely will not be run at race effort.

I often think about beer in the last miles of a race...other times I cry a little bit...I like to mix that with some random angry shouting...Oriolepwr and I actually ended up running the last 6 of the Chicago Mary together so he can vouch for me...love the beer at the end....have a great time. And on another note, aren't you glad you are now the kind of guy that drops 10 and then goes skiing. If that's being a , then sign me up!!!

2012-01-24 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4002898

User image

DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-21 7:30 AM
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-20 6:03 PM

Got my run in today, not bad.  Took a cool shower, as per Dave Innocent, felt a little better.  Thanks

We really need to stop texting while driving!  At least 6 drivers passed me while "playing" with their phones.  I kept my eye on them just in case I had to bail.  Cry

"LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE"

How about you experienced runners, any suggestions?

I run in the dark all the time, but I ground myself "on campus" when it's dark.  That means I won't go out of my neighborhood.  I always wear a reflective vest when it's even a little dark.  Having passed runners when I'm driving in the dark, I can tell you the vest makes a big difference.  I always run against the flow of traffic so I can hurl myself out of the way if someone doesn't see me, which I've had to do many times.  You just have to pay special attention b/c most drivers don't.  I'm lucky b/c our town has a great trail system for running and biking.  Something like 50 miles of trails.  So when it's daylight and I'm running long, I run about 2 miles to get on the trail and then stay on it.

You are right, though.  The phone/driving thing is a big issue.  I'll admit I've been a chronic offender.  BUT, my New Year's resolution has been to silence my phone and put it in my purse every time I get behind the wheel.  I'm glad to say I've been pretty good about keeping it so far!

Off to a spin class and then running after.  Have a good day everyone!

I run in the dark all the time also, but I have the "luxury" of living in the boonies, so when I see a car on the dirt road its me that is surprised.

2012-01-24 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4005912

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

quincyf - 2012-01-23 12:10 PM Oh, and yesterday I was posting in a thread in Iron Distance talk that kind of got out of hand, but some of you might find interesting. Some really deep and heart felt posts despite the snarky OP...if you have a few minutes...

Thanks for pointing this out. Some truly inspiring stories of what some of the people in this community have overcome and accomplished. Your story is definitely one of them.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44