BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-03-05 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4078561

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed

No Mayo - 2012-03-03 11:07 AM Hi gang! I had the perfect storm of injuries, project deadlines, and a week off which kept me away for that last 3 weeks. Seems like forever. My training has definitely suffered, but I'm back on he wagon this week. I was afraid that maybe the mentoring would be over, but so happy to see you're all still here! Nicole

Glad to have you back!

2012-03-05 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Tambo - Indeed good news on the no stress fracture!!

Will this ever go away without stopping completely? From my experience the possibility of pain will never go away.  I can tell if I don't stay on top of stretching the stiffness/soreness starts to creep back. 

POLL: Should I continue to train, just moderately in the running category? OR Should I stop running altogether for about 8 weeks?  I would listed to your body.  Keep in mind, you need the inflammation to go down.  I would run moderately while picking up your stretching.  If you keep having pain after running, I'm afraid the answer is to stop until you get the inflammation down or gone completely. 

Begs the next question...Will the PF just return after the 8 wks off if I steadily increase my running times and distances again?  Not if you have completely rehabbed your PF?  After dealing with this for several years, I have been pain free for over three years now.  

Another question: Has anyone used one of those sleep splints for PF?  I would ship you mine free of charge, but I chucked it in the trash.  Early on when I knew I needed to stretch I tried one to help with the morning stiffness, but could not sleep.  I normally toss and turn all night and this does not bod well with your foot propped in a 90 degree angle..  Not too fun using them.  

I literally stretched my legs (hamstrings, glutes and calfs) constantly throughout the day.  I think the people at work thought I was a nut job at times, but I didn't care.  Not sure if you have an office job like me, but I think this is a big cause of my PF.  They say if you are sitting all day your hamstrings tighten up considerably.  At night when the kids are in bed and the wife and I are watching our TV shows, I would lay/sit in front of the couch and use Pilates bands and just stretch for over an hour.  

After stretching I too would roll my arches with a frozen water bottle.  Helps get the inflammation down.  Might want to get on a regular dose of ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory.       

Edited by Joeyj1974 2012-03-05 3:35 PM
2012-03-05 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4080684

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-03-05 11:02 AM

Seems most of us have been busy and life taking up too much of our time  I have been plugging along, but don't feel like I al in a groove yet.  I'm struggling to get a schedule down and stick to it.  I'm moving a bunch of the workouts around and not getting all of the time and segments in as scheduled. 

This week the miles/time peak, so this will be a challenge. Even so, this week I plan to get in 100% of all the planned workouts.

Five years into my triathlon journey and I've yet to ever find a perfect training groove.  The fact of the matter is that all of us have other priorities.  We're not getting paid to swim, bike, or run.  And our families, while generally supportive, probably wouldn't appreciate it if we ignored them for the sole purpose of being a faster triathlete.

Part of making and following a training plan is setting priorities.  Try the following exercise: make two lists.  One of all the things in your life that you can't or don't want to neglect (work, family, other hobbies, etc) and one of all of the daily "time-wasters" in your life (TV, internet, video games, etc).  Now prioritize how important all those things are to you and think about where swim, bike, run fits into that picture.  It helps if you take the time and really think about what your motiviation is for training.  Are you just in it to stay healthy and have fun or are you trying to finish tops in your age group?

Once you have your priorities figured out it's much easier to look at a training plan and see if it realistically fits with your goals and your available free time.  And it also makes it easier to modify a training week to fit your life.  I try to sit down every Sunday and plan out the upcoming week.  I plop work and home commitments down first, I add in any fun stuff I may have planned, and then I work the training into that.  When conflicts arise I always know what's most important to me because I've already thought it out.  Sometimes I drop a workout that doesn't fit my shedule.  Sometimes I can simply rearrange.  Sometimes a fun activity gets dropped for training.  Sometimes training gets dropped for fun.

Prioritize.  Prioritize.  Prioritize.

edit: I just wanted to add that I realize we all need a little down time.  TV, movies, internet, etc are all great ways to relax and unwind and aren't always a waste of time.  But sometimes we're all guilty of sitting around and doing nothing then complaining that we don't have time to workout.  You should certainly include some relaxation time in your weekly schedule.  It will be up to you to decide how much down time you need.

Edited by esc 2012-03-05 3:49 PM
2012-03-06 8:03 AM

New user
Woolwich, Maine

Hey there!  I just wanted to drop in and say hello and ask a question. 

First, I had a great weekend... I ran a 5k with my Mom and a few of her friends.  It went well,  I ran a 10 minute mile and my mom did 11 1/2 minute miles.  I'm so proud, she just started running last year and loves it! 

I got to the pool once so far... I'm planning on going back this weekend and buying a pass so I'll go at least twice a week if not 3 times and I hope to start biking outside in a few weeks the roads should be cleared up by then from all the salt and sand. 

Okay, my question is.... has anyone here done a Rev3 triathlon? I'm thinking of signing up for the one here in Maine, I would do the Oly distance.  I've only ever done 1 full sprint and I'm signed up for the same sprint tri in June.  The Oly is in August.  I'm not sure if I'm biting off more then I can chew with going to a Oly distance this year.  My only real worry is the swim 0.9 miles in the Atlantic Ocean seems scary. 

I must get back to work now... no more fooling around.  Happy Tuesday!

Dawn

2012-03-06 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4081445

User image

Regular
NWA
Joeyj1974 - 2012-03-05 3:34 PM

After dealing with this for several years, I have been pain free for over three years now.   SO, you're saying there's a chance! (thanks Jim Carrey and Dumb and Dumb for allowing me to have such an expansive vocabulary)  Thank goodness! 

Another question: Has anyone used one of those sleep splints for PF?  I would ship you mine free of charge, but I chucked it in the trash.  Early on when I knew I needed to stretch I tried one to help with the morning stiffness, but could not sleep.  I normally toss and turn all night and this does not bod well with your foot propped in a 90 degree angle..  Not too fun using them.  I am a pretty good sleeper (well, until last night when the PF literally woke me up) and I've got dogs always crunched against me, so I can sleep pretty much anyway with anything. I think I might buy one at Fleet Feet and see what happens.  Like you, I suppose I can always chuck it!

I literally stretched my legs (hamstrings, glutes and calfs) constantly throughout the day.  Ok, so I also need to focus on glutes and hamstrings...I will definitely do that now...been doing the calves religiously.

Not sure if you have an office job like me, but I think this is a big cause of my PF.  They say if you are sitting all day your hamstrings tighten up considerably. Sort of...I teach twice a day, so I get to walk to class 2x's...but the rest of the time I'm sitting behind my desk researching/writing for my dissertation (6hrs yesterday).  I placed an old hand towel to keep on the floor beneath my desk for the toe curl exercise.  I also have an office pretty much to myself (actually, I have an entire apartment on campus...they are renovating our building and they are so limited on space that they actually leased apartments for employees and turned them into offices...so I've got space to do whatever I want, really and with no one to look over and think I'm nuts

Pilates bands and just stretch for over an hour.  Great idea - will pull out the old yoga straps I have and get on that right away.

Might want to get on a regular dose of ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory.    Using Aleve...and it does help.  Doc said he'd give me something stronger if I wanted it, but I really don't.  I need a clear head to teach and write. 

Quick question(s): I was thinking of getting one of those larger stability balls to sit on behind my desk with the thinking that it would make me a more "active" sitter???  Maybe that would help with the tightening of the muscles?  I have thought about just standing but my desk is too low and that would wreck havoc on my back. Also, is it unusal for only one heel to hurt?  My right foot feels great and not an ounce of pain...(although, I have chosen to stretch that side equally for preventative measures). 

I am also regretting decisions I made in my first "career"...I used to walk about 7 miles 2-5x's a week in high heels on concrete & travertine floors...STOOOOOOPID - as I am beginning to realize that it really weakened my plantar fashia...and now, five years later, when I finally get motivated to be active again I'm dealing with the repercussions...as least that's what I kept thinking in my "awake from pain stupor" last night. 

I really do appreaciate your guidance Joey...its been very helpful...and even a bit hopeful.

Thanks to everyone else for chiming in and reading my posts about pain.

T.

2012-03-06 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4082391

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
plink - 2012-03-06 9:03 AM

Hey there!  I just wanted to drop in and say hello and ask a question. 

First, I had a great weekend... I ran a 5k with my Mom and a few of her friends.  It went well,  I ran a 10 minute mile and my mom did 11 1/2 minute miles.  I'm so proud, she just started running last year and loves it! 

I got to the pool once so far... I'm planning on going back this weekend and buying a pass so I'll go at least twice a week if not 3 times and I hope to start biking outside in a few weeks the roads should be cleared up by then from all the salt and sand. 

Okay, my question is.... has anyone here done a Rev3 triathlon? I'm thinking of signing up for the one here in Maine, I would do the Oly distance.  I've only ever done 1 full sprint and I'm signed up for the same sprint tri in June.  The Oly is in August.  I'm not sure if I'm biting off more then I can chew with going to a Oly distance this year.  My only real worry is the swim 0.9 miles in the Atlantic Ocean seems scary. 

I must get back to work now... no more fooling around.  Happy Tuesday!

Dawn

I did Rev3 Cedar Point HIM in 2010.  It was a well run race and I had a pretty darn good time.  The prices are comparable to a WTC run race and the swag bags and post race festivities were pretty comparable.

If you go to the "races" icon in the BT header you can look up the upcoming Maine Rev3 race.  The race details should include links to race reports from 2011.  That might give you a better idea of what you can expect as far as the course difficulty.  I would say that if you feel capable of completing a sprint race by June than you can probably be prepped for an Oly by August.

2012-03-07 9:01 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Big win for me!

Back on the road (Omaha/Lincoln) and I have not wavered yet on nutrition or training.  After landing last night, I checked into the hotel, then ran to the gym for my PM 30 min swim, and then went grocery shopping for the next couple days.  Cooked Dinner and breakfast in the room. 

Progress, progress, progress!!

2012-03-08 5:17 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Happy Thursday!  It's actually Friday for me and boy am I ever looking forward to three days off.  I feel like I haven't slept in weeks.  I got home from the gym last night, had some dinner, and then passed out on the couch trying to watch some TV.  The Dude woke me up and put me to bed.  I slept like a rock until the alarm went off at 4:30.  Tonight after work I plan to get in an 8-miler then I plan to sleep until I can't sleep no more.  (Or until 5:30 when The Dude's alarm goes off.)  I've got a big 12-miler on the schedule for the weekend.

Anyone else have any big plans?

2012-03-08 5:19 AM
in reply to: #4084478

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-03-07 10:01 AM

Big win for me!

Back on the road (Omaha/Lincoln) and I have not wavered yet on nutrition or training.  After landing last night, I checked into the hotel, then ran to the gym for my PM 30 min swim, and then went grocery shopping for the next couple days.  Cooked Dinner and breakfast in the room. 

Progress, progress, progress!!

Fantastic!

How do you handle swim workouts when you're on the road?  Do you just pay for a 1-day pass?

2012-03-08 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Esc -

I'm a 24hour fitness member.  Luckily there is usually a 24hour near my hotel.  I usually travel to SLC, Phoenix/tucson and Omaha(all have 24hour).

2012-03-08 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Whew.  Survived the work day.  I'm headed to the gym where I will attempt to survive 8 miles on the treadmill.

On a completely unrelated to triathlon note: I ran across this great youtube video from the Stanford Women's Basketball team.  Seems fitting as we head into March Madness.  Nerd City Kids.  Smart, talented, and pretty darn good at basketball.

2012-03-12 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Great Weekend (for me anyway)

Sat:  Daughter scored winning goal in soccer.  dad went for glorious, sunny, warm barefoot run in the foothills (7 miles in VFFs)

Sun:  Good evening swim workout.  I'm finally making some progress with catch/pull and the whole 'press the water', don't cross center etc. etc. blah blah. 

2012-03-12 8:27 PM

New user

Pueblo

Hi all,

Its been fun reading all your posts lately. Big setback, more surgery coming up, very disappointed in all this.  Will not be able to run for another year, I can ride in another 3 months if the surgery is successful.  So looking forward to another year of competing until all this crap happened.  To all, I wish you luck and have a great time.

2012-03-14 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4093144

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jross64 - 2012-03-12 9:27 PM

Hi all,

Its been fun reading all your posts lately. Big setback, more surgery coming up, very disappointed in all this.  Will not be able to run for another year, I can ride in another 3 months if the surgery is successful.  So looking forward to another year of competing until all this crap happened.  To all, I wish you luck and have a great time.

Sorry to hear that things aren't going as planned.  Stay positive and focus on recovery.  I'm sending positive vibes your way.  Good luck with surgery and recovery.

2012-03-14 6:22 AM
in reply to: #4092392

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jeffnboise - 2012-03-12 2:09 PM

Sat:  Daughter scored winning goal in soccer.  dad went for glorious, sunny, warm barefoot run in the foothills (7 miles in VFFs)

Sun:  Good evening swim workout.  I'm finally making some progress with catch/pull and the whole 'press the water', don't cross center etc. etc. blah blah. 

I love that you distilled swimming technique down to "etc, etc, blah, blah".  Made me laugh out loud.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to buy into the VFFs.  I know lots of people use them and love them but I can't get past the look of them.  They remind me of an old SNL skit where they spoofed Jack Johnson.  He was selling "barefoot shoes" which were basically a pair of VFFs that looked just like bare feet - and hairy feet at that!

2012-03-14 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

It's been really quiet in here lately so I haven't said much either.  I'm always happy to blather away but I'm not sure what y'all would like me to blather about.

Anyone have any questions, concerns, or topics they'd like to discuss?  Or maybe you have a good story to share?  Or you'd like me to share some stories?  Anything? 

2012-03-14 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4095465

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
esc - 2012-03-14 5:22 AM
jeffnboise - 2012-03-12 2:09 PM

I love that you distilled swimming technique down to "etc, etc, blah, blah".  Made me laugh out loud.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to buy into the VFFs.  I know lots of people use them and love them but I can't get past the look of them.  They remind me of an old SNL skit where they spoofed Jack Johnson.  He was selling "barefoot shoes" which were basically a pair of VFFs that looked just like bare feet - and hairy feet at that!

Yes, they are COMPLETELY ridiculous looking. But they feel soooooo goood. It's funny, you see so many people try them on, but the longer they stare down at their feet, the less convinced they are. But I've never been one to give a hoot about people's opinions of me (not in a BAD way, just sayin...)
2012-03-15 10:28 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

jross - Sorry to hear about the set back!!

For me, I have been mia in posting and training Sun - Tues...  Not happy about it and glad to be back on track.  I really need to work on planning my training around life when I know time is going to be scarce..  I.e. no sleeping in and hopping to squeeze it in later in the day business!

Back to work - just wanted to check in real quick.

Joey

2012-03-16 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

HAPPY FRIDAY, Goonies!

I skipped my evening workout, ate a cheeseburger for dinner and slept in this AM. 

So...how are YOUR workouts going????

Discuss...

2012-03-16 6:47 PM

Middle Tennessee

So sorry to fall of the edge of the WWW.    I didn't mean to abandon the group, but it was like Emily said about priorities, and I discovered that when I turn on the computer for "a few minutes" - hours seemed to disappear. 

Training has been rocking for me the past 3 weeks.  I am getting in 3 -5 hrs of training 5 days per week.  I swim 2 miles 2x per week, run 4x per week, and bike 3x per week.  Throw in the 2 days of Pump class, and a yoga class and I am a training machine!

The bike has gotten much better now that the weather is wonderful, and I can get outside.  I got in a 30 mi ride on Tuesday, and I can hold about a 14 mph average speed for the entire time.   Climbing is still very weak for me, which is hard because all of my back country roads are filled with rolling hills.  I am just so slow getting up them.  But the really exciting news is that I found a 1.3 mi stretch that is relatively flat, and I can do 20 mph on it, even when I am exhausted.  Also another great thing is I am over my fear of downhill, and will let myself fly.  I managed to break the speed limit on one hill by hitting 31 mph!!!!  

I am running with a new group tomorrow morning.  I am excited and nervous about it.  I get uncomfortable and awkward when I meet new people, but I am so looking forward to meeting some people who love the same things I love.  So I am just going to jump in and hope for the best!

In non tri news- I am sooooooo proud of my son!  He is going into 4th grade and he got the 1 open spot for the gifted magnet school.  I want to shout it all over Facebook, but I have some friends who I know applied to, and I don't want to brag to them.  So I will just brag to all of you all

Hope the rest of the Goonies are having a great weekend too! 

2012-03-16 6:51 PM

Middle Tennessee
Dawn - I don't really have anything productive to say about the Rev 3 series.  Except that Rev 3 Knoxville half was on my list for this year.  Then I remembered I grew up in East TN, and there is not one single stretch of flat area in Knoxville, and with my struggle to climb, I would have been walking the bike more than riding it, so I scrapped that idea

2012-03-17 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4099140

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jeffnboise - 2012-03-16 11:01 AM

HAPPY FRIDAY, Goonies!

I skipped my evening workout, ate a cheeseburger for dinner and slept in this AM. 

So...how are YOUR workouts going????

Discuss...

Hmmmm...I ran 12 miles THEN had a cheeseburger (and some awesome loaded tater tots and a beer or three).  Not sure how the math works out on the calories in/calories out but I'm guessing I needed to run about 40 miles to cover all that "nutrition".

Looks like we have another beautiful day on tap here in Lafayette.  I'm going to put in a short 4-miler then head over to watch the Purdue women in the first round of the women's NCAA tourney.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

2012-03-17 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4097596

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-03-15 11:28 AM

jross - Sorry to hear about the set back!!

For me, I have been mia in posting and training Sun - Tues...  Not happy about it and glad to be back on track.  I really need to work on planning my training around life when I know time is going to be scarce..  I.e. no sleeping in and hopping to squeeze it in later in the day business!

Back to work - just wanted to check in real quick.

Joey

You'll figure out a good schedule eventually.  Just keep plugging away.  I have ruined many a training plan with the old "I'll just do it later today" excuse.  I've had to learn to set aside my procrastinating ways when it comes to training.  Now I just save the housework for "later in the day".

2012-03-17 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4100081

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
KatNWater - 2012-03-16 7:47 PM

So sorry to fall of the edge of the WWW.    I didn't mean to abandon the group, but it was like Emily said about priorities, and I discovered that when I turn on the computer for "a few minutes" - hours seemed to disappear. 

Training has been rocking for me the past 3 weeks.  I am getting in 3 -5 hrs of training 5 days per week.  I swim 2 miles 2x per week, run 4x per week, and bike 3x per week.  Throw in the 2 days of Pump class, and a yoga class and I am a training machine!

The bike has gotten much better now that the weather is wonderful, and I can get outside.  I got in a 30 mi ride on Tuesday, and I can hold about a 14 mph average speed for the entire time.   Climbing is still very weak for me, which is hard because all of my back country roads are filled with rolling hills.  I am just so slow getting up them.  But the really exciting news is that I found a 1.3 mi stretch that is relatively flat, and I can do 20 mph on it, even when I am exhausted.  Also another great thing is I am over my fear of downhill, and will let myself fly.  I managed to break the speed limit on one hill by hitting 31 mph!!!!  

I am running with a new group tomorrow morning.  I am excited and nervous about it.  I get uncomfortable and awkward when I meet new people, but I am so looking forward to meeting some people who love the same things I love.  So I am just going to jump in and hope for the best!

In non tri news- I am sooooooo proud of my son!  He is going into 4th grade and he got the 1 open spot for the gifted magnet school.  I want to shout it all over Facebook, but I have some friends who I know applied to, and I don't want to brag to them.  So I will just brag to all of you all

Glad to hear things are going so well!  Time in the saddle will work wonders for your biking skills.  I live in flat farmland but I love when I get a good downhill and can let fly!

2012-03-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4100423

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
esc - 2012-03-17 6:40 AM
KatNWater - 2012-03-16 7:47 PM

Glad to hear things are going so well!  Time in the saddle will work wonders for your biking skills.  I live in flat farmland but I love when I get a good downhill and can let fly!

Sounds like your bike skills are really improving.  The more 'time in the saddle' the better; your bike fitness and confidence will grow together.  

BRAVO to you and your son.   My daughter is in 4th grade, too.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23