BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's 2012 Awesome Mentor Group-Full up Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2012-01-31 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4020060

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: KathyG's 2012 Awesome Mentor Group-Full up
kaburns1214 - 2012-01-31 7:59 AM

I saw some youtube videos previewing them and I especially like that there are no grippers on the legs.  I have some shorts that are so tight my thighs bulge very unflatteringly - i save those ones for trainer sessions.  The soft waistband was very appealing too.  Now I just have to wait for a week for them to arrive after being trucked for three days across the Nullarbor desert.

Leg grippers are the worst.  I really like LG shorts because they have a nice, soft unfinished leg.

Which tri shorts are you referring to in the youtube videos that you ordered?

I too like no grippers. My favorite shorts to ride in are Terry Euroshorts (bike shorts though) have no grippers and no waistband.

2012-01-31 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3972843

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Me, I'm a big gripper fan. To each their own, I guess!

We just had layoffs at my office 2 weeks ago, and it is miserable for everyone. The theme here is "do more with less". Oh, and not give raises, too.

Realized last night I have a BIG training headache coming up in late May/early June. For Memorial day weekend, and the following, I need to travel for unavoidable family events. This also coincides with the 2 peak weekends for long bike & long run for my HIM plan. I think its good that I realize this now, and can work out some sort of solution, hopefully. I can't miss them at that juncture of training, though. Ugh. Guess it all comes with having a life and doing this sport .

Had a great run this AM. did just shy of 5 miles, and felt strong the whole way. Even having just started week 3 of training, I can tell its having very positive physical impacts on me. I've moved down a notch on my belt, my resting heart rate is now mid 40's (was 52 or so prior), and I can feel and see some new muscular development in my legs & upper body. I don't think I've felt better physically in my entire life, including when I was in high school playing 3 sports. Its awesome!

2012-01-31 8:13 AM

Regular

Mike D/ Happy belated Bday, looks like you made out like a bandit on the gift front

Daisymouse/ De Soto Carrerra tri shorts are my favorites for races and when its hot out, esp the micro ones...

Kathy/ Great job on your steady progress  very happy for you.  am a strong believer you cannot "short cut" recovery as you will always pay for it on the back end

I hope everyone is feeling better, between illnesses and work stresses, everyone has issues to deal with.  

We got some bad news on the work front Friday.  Our company's burn rate needs to be cut way down to stretch the fund we have; 3/4 of the company will be laid off and i was asked to go part time.  Apparently they are trying to bridge the gap with just 5-6 people.  Guess I am lucky to be one of them and still have a job even if its one half of one.  I am in the process of finding short term consulting projects and a long term job change.  Dang, just when things were looking better

Bright side: all of a sudden I have all this time to work out and luckily I bought pretty much all I needed so no extra expenses for me on the tri front.  Except maybe an entry fee here or there.  Plus I love working out as a stress relief...

Hope you guys are having a good week

Edited by pedmpa 2012-01-31 8:13 AM
2012-01-31 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Lake Monticello, Virginia

Had a great swim last evening. Toying with the idea of doing the local Y indoor Tri in 3 weeks. 1/4 mile swim, 5 mile bike, 2.5 mile run. May be a decent intro to how a Tri works in a controlled environment. The downside is I am working 12 hours the night before and would have to go straight from work to the event.

Have a great week one and all!

2012-02-01 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Hello??? Anyone out there?

Masters class this AM was fun. We had a 400 yard time trial as part of our set. I surprised myself and came in at 6:30 on the nose. I had thought I'd end up somewhere over 7 minutes.  I was fairly consistent with my splits as I had 5 consecutvie 50 yard splits all within .5 seconds of each other. Final 50 was fastest of the set by over 2 seconds. Felt great

As expected, my appetite has come roaring back as my workouts ramp up. I've been good about eating good food, although I do have the occasional small indulgence (like 1 cookie, etc). I've given up on trying to track my food. I'm just not consistent enough in doing it to make it worth while. I'm also putting away the scale for a while, and just concerning myself with sticking to my plan. If I eat right, hit the workouts consistently, the weight will come off.

What is everyone up to today? What is everyones 'A' race this year?

2012-02-01 7:06 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

So I sucked it up and went to to Doctor yesterday.  I have asthmatic bronchitis.  My airwaves are pretty constricted (I'm at about 50% lung capacity) so I can't train until I get some lung volume back and can take a deep breath without coughing.  The doctor gave me a new long acting inhaled steroid (plus my rescue inhaler) and an antibiotic. 

I am not good at resting.  So much of my identity comes from training, I tend to get really bummed out when I can't do anything.

2012-02-01 7:23 AM

Hello everyone!  I've been taking care of a sick child since Friday.  Overall, Jan was not a good month for her and it looks like it is continuing to Feb.  I've been cleaning everything to ensure the rest of us stay healthy.  I can't imagine the husband getting this...I'm not sure I could handle the catering he would require.

I've been able to bike and run; however not able to leave for the swim (the Y is a 40 min drive for me).  Hopefully, the child will return to school on Thursday.  I miss my time at the pool.

Mike, Happy Belated Birthday!!

Kelly, hope you start feeling better.

Kathy, way to go on your recovery and walking!

Hope everyone else is doing well! RJ

2012-02-01 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Fortunately for me, my whole family is very understanding of my desire to race and train. As we were getting ready for supper tonight, my youngest daughter (she's 9) made me a workout plan for next week.

(workoutsmall.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
workoutsmall.jpg (23KB - 22 downloads)
2012-02-01 8:26 PM

Maine (Jennifer?):  I love your daughter's sense of spirit!  I am totally impressed with your bike mileage.  Is that on a trainer?  Most I can manage due to time constraints is 15 miles.  No way is 45 even a glimmer on my radar.  You rock!

So sorry to read about everyone's lingering sicknesses.  I suppose this is the time of year for colds.  Take lots of vitamins and eat oranges.

This week so far has been consistent.  Monday ran a hard 6 on the mill.  I started with a .25 to .5 mile warm up.  Then I increase dthe speed to 6.5 for .25 and bump it up .10 each quarter mile.  After a mile I go back down to to 6.5 for a .25 and repeat the pattern.  But at subsequent miles I reduce to 6.6 and increase from there and so on. By the end I was up to 7.0.

Monday was a long, long day of blood work, scans, and oncology visit.  Go back in four months.  The "bucket list" certainly has immediacy.

Yesterday's swim workout was as follows:  200 warm up, 200 various skills, the the main set was 3x (300 hard, 2x75kick, 2x100: R,L,CU,swim, 2x50: 25easy/25 fast then 25fast/25 easy) 100 cool down.  Felt so good.  Yoga last night.

Today was 15 on the bike trainer with a few sit up sets.

Tomorrow is swim and yoga.  Might run over lunch.  I am totally loving swimming.  I look forward to it so much.

Tomorrow registration opens for the Twin Cities Marathon, which is October 7.  It's a well run, medium size marathon that winds from MPLS to St. Paul.  I am already registered for Grandma's Marathon in Duluth in mid June.  I am pretty certain I will register on the assumption, leap of faith, that my health will not take a precipitous nose dive.  Likewise, I am going to pull the trigger on the HIM registration.  I am confident I will get to the start!  One must go forward in life.

Edited by sthoresen 2012-02-01 8:27 PM
2012-02-01 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Had a great raquetteball session with the boss. And yes I let him win! Yoga was rough tonight. Just could not get stretched out. Right hip is barking something fierce. Going to take tomorrow off to rest it. Scheduled a massage after work to hopefully get things back to right. Hope everyone is having a great week and getting over the various bugs that have been going on.
2012-02-01 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
A topic especially for all of the experienced Tri folks: I am going to sign up for the indoor at the local Y. It is a pretty minor event by all standards so I feel this will be a good intro for me. The topic: what has been bouncing around the vacuum above my shoulders is TRANSITIONS. Any ideas/tips/advice for how to get from swim to bike? Thanks.

2012-02-02 1:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Hi Everyone,

After 5 very busy days in Germany I am back in Iceland for 2 days and tomorrow Evening I am flying out again for the weekend and come home Monday morning. But after that the schedule for now looks like as I am going to be in the office until we leave for Abu Dhabi which will be good for getting a routine and getting the workouts in.

Other than work over the weekend, exercise was my top priority and thats where I did not cut any corners. But unfortunately I did not do so well on the eating and drinking front and I am now dealing with some serious damage on the scale. But I won't beat myself up over it but got right back on track and next weekend I will be more focused and determined!

I did not have time yet to catch up and probably won't be able to until after the weekend but I am already looking forward to be more involved in this group again!

I hope you all have a great day

2012-02-02 1:24 AM
in reply to: #4024613

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
T1 rider - 2012-02-02 5:05 AMA topic especially for all of the experienced Tri folks: I am going to sign up for the indoor at the local Y. It is a pretty minor event by all standards so I feel this will be a good intro for me. The topic: what has been bouncing around the vacuum above my shoulders is TRANSITIONS. Any ideas/tips/advice for how to get from swim to bike? Thanks.

Hi Patrick,

I have done a few indoor Tris and they were all really fun! And it sure is a good way of getting into things!

On what kind of bikes are you biking? stationary bikes? Spinning bikes?

Transition was pretty much just getting out of the pool, drying myself off just a tad, getting into running shoes and then it was off to get on the bike as fast as possible. We were allowed to pretty much bike and run dripping wet after the pool but I am not sure thats allowed everywhere. Check on that.

Is this the first time they are holding the event? If not then just ask everything you want to know. I always feel I need to know al lot to be well prepared and I am not hesitant to ask!

2012-02-02 6:45 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Hey everyone! Sorry so scarce around here - I've been slammed with work, which is a good thing! (web developer with my own consulting biz) but keeps me sitting at the computer coding away far too much. I'll try to touch on a few posts here and then go with the flow...

I hope everyone who is feeling poorly mends up real quickly - especially you Kelly - 50% oxygen doesn't leave much for moving around! I've been lucky to avoid anything major, but our pollen counts are off the charts lately, and that always makes me feel a little flu-ey (neck/head ache and sore throat for my symptoms)

i LOVE LOVE LOVE DeSoto Carrera shorts without gripper elastic. I have three pair, they are the only ones I will race in. And they stay down on my thighs just fine, they never creep up. The soft waistband is a plus, too, especially when you are hunched down over the bike.

As for me, my running zero to thirty minute plan has me at run 7 walk 3 x 3 this week, and I'm really enjoying it, it's been a nice way to transition back to running again.

Now to get on the bike, the BikeMS ride is moved up a month to April this year, so I need to get pedaling.

HAPPY TRAINING everyone - it's almost the weekend!!!
2012-02-02 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Jennifer -- you have a tough coach! Not much room for rest in that plan!!

sthorsesn -- I am getting tired just reading about all the things you have going on. When do you sleep?

Patrick -- Good idea to let the boss win. Hope the hip clears up asap. As for the indoor tri transitions, Joblin gives some great advice. You can likely just wear your tri shorts/top for the swim, then quickly get to the bike & run w/ only needing to put on shoes. Good luck with the race!!

Joblin - so much travel! Is it all work related? Good of you to stil get the workouts in. As for weekends of too much food & drink, the upcoming one here in the US is a semi-national holiday-- The Super Bowl! I'll be posting something similar about overindulgence next Monday

Kelly -- Rest up and get well! Bronchitis is miserable, and hopefully the doc will get you straightened away soon. Being unable to train & work out is a drag, but you'll be back at it in no time, no doubt

Ann -- Feel better soon.

Kathy -- when is the next PT? Are things still progressing as you hope? Made any decisions about Patriot?

I'm feeling good, but a bit tired. Even thought I'm only on week 3 of my plan, I can tell I'm going to need some extra sleep now and again. The swim workout yesterday really emptied my tank for the day, and my bike workout last night was good, but I was cooked when done. My AM workout today will happen after work tonight just to give a bit of a rest.

Went to the doc yesterday for a check up, and the nurse was a bit concerned that my pulse rate was only 44. She went to find the doc, and he came in, asked me if I was a runner/working out alot, and I said yes. He said "Good - keep it up!" and left. ;^)

I'm looking for a fun September race, and am looking at possibly doing the Nations Tri in DC. Could not pick a more scenic bike/run (by all the monumnets, the Mall, reflecting pool, etc). Anyone done this race?

2012-02-02 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

And one other thing -- the question of the week around here, right Kathy? :

Who you rooting for in the Super Bowl??

As a Boston area born & bred football fan, I'm all in for the Pats (although I have to admit some deep, dark concerns about how well the Giants are playing). Sunday night will be stressful no doubt..

2012-02-02 9:53 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Hi Everyone!  I've been busy, busy, busy!  I'm going to be away from my computer for several days and unable to record my workouts.  It's yoga weekend again!  This is the last one!  Woo hoo!!!!  The learning will never end, though.  Isn't that the beauty of doing something you love.  There is always something new to learn. Smile

Anyway, I'll try to check in with everyone today before I take off.  Happy training over the weekend!  Cheers!

2012-02-02 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4025055

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

September race? What distance? There is always Pumpkinman HIM in South Maine, the new Rev3 HIM in Old Orchard Beach, a really nice, small, local Oly in my hometown (MaineSport Tri), the Mainiac sprint in Biddeford...

Haven't done the Nation's Tri - but sounds fabulous. I did a half marathon in Arlington a couple of years ago - we got to run past the Pentagon, down the banks of the Potomac, near the Mall. Very fun.

Mike_D - 2012-02-01 9:46 AM

As a Boston area born & bred football fan, I'm all in for the Pats (although I have to admit some deep, dark concerns about how well the Giants are playing). Sunday night will be stressful no doubt..

<Sigh> I'm for the Steelers, but since they blew it...I guess I'll go for the Patriots since I live in New England and rooting for anyone but the Patriots and the Sox can get you in a lot of trouble here.

2012-02-02 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4025055

User image

Champion
MA
Mike_D - 2012-02-02 9:46 AM

Patriots of course!

I just don't like either of the Manning brothers...to prideful quite different than how Patriot players behave in my opinion.

My PT is located at the Brigham and Women's building next to Gillette Stadium.

2012-02-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4025383

User image

Champion
MA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2012-02-02 12:19 PM

September race? What distance? There is always Pumpkinman HIM in South Maine, the new Rev3 HIM in Old Orchard Beach, a really nice, small, local Oly in my hometown (MaineSport Tri), the Mainiac sprint in Biddeford...

I'm for the Steelers, but since they blew it...I guess I'll go for the Patriots since I live in New England and rooting for anyone but the Patriots and the Sox can get you in a lot of trouble here.

Jennifer, I have been considering Pumpkinman or the new Rev3 in Old Orchard Beach. Both offer aqua bike option.

Do you know anything about the swims or the bikes? If you know the bike courses how would you compare them? Terrain and road conditions?

2012-02-02 1:33 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Mike and Jennifer, after thinking more about Patriot and talking to my PT, I didn't register for HIM Aquabike. I do plan to be there either just cheering or volunteering. BTers have a dinner every year the night before if you guys can make it.

2012-02-02 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4024347

User image

Champion
MA
Jennifer, interesting how your youngest came up with a tri plan for you....shows what you are doing is influencing your kids. Thanks for posting her plan for you!
2012-02-02 3:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I can walk.

It was the strangest thing to be allowed to walk but unable to do so.  Now I can really do more. 8 weeks and 3 days on crutches was enough.

2012-02-02 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4026043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
KathyG - 2012-02-02 9:06 PM

I can walk.

It was the strangest thing to be allowed to walk but unable to do so.  Now I can really do more. 8 weeks and 3 days on crutches was enough.

Thats awesome Keep up the great work!!

------------------------

Don't know anything about football, don't watch it and I really don't care but let the better team win

2012-02-02 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4026043

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
KathyG - 2012-02-02 4:06 PM

I can walk.

FANTASTIC!!!! Congrats!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's 2012 Awesome Mentor Group-Full up Rss Feed  

of 35