BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-05-27 6:50 AM
in reply to: #4230954

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL!
erin1621 - 2012-05-27 6:26 AM

For the second time trying to do a brick my quads cramp up. The first time I was doing a hill and just tried to run through it which I did. This time we had done 20 miles on our bike which included some serious hills! I went to run stretched for a few seconds and just couldn't do it with out it cramping up!!!!!! What am I doing wrong, I am worried as I am now so close to my race day and dont want that to happen that day. I know I was not dehydrated as I was drink on my ride and I had a shot block gummy thing before the run! ANyone have any suggestions? I am going to roll and try to stretch again today and every day till the race and hope it will work. Thanks

In physiology, the primary ions of electrolytes are sodium (Na+), potassium (K+), calcium (Ca2+), magnesium (Mg2+), chloride (Cl-), hydrogen phosphate (HPO42-), and hydrogen carbonate (HCO3-).

Most sports drinks are sugar water. You probably need some potassium and magnesium. People get the sugar right, sometimes the sodium, but rarely the potassium/magnesium/calcium bit.

Also make sure you keep those heels down when you bike. The foot should stay fairly neutral/flat and the toes do NOT point. Keeps the calf stretched. Try that.

2012-05-27 6:51 AM
in reply to: #4230954

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
erin1621 - 2012-05-27 6:26 AM

For the second time trying to do a brick my quads cramp up. The first time I was doing a hill and just tried to run through it which I did. This time we had done 20 miles on our bike which included some serious hills! I went to run stretched for a few seconds and just couldn't do it with out it cramping up!!!!!! What am I doing wrong, I am worried as I am now so close to my race day and dont want that to happen that day. I know I was not dehydrated as I was drink on my ride and I had a shot block gummy thing before the run! ANyone have any suggestions? I am going to roll and try to stretch again today and every day till the race and hope it will work. Thanks

Oh, and is your seat high enough?
2012-05-27 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4230198

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-05-26 7:21 AM

First race this morning coming up in 3.5 hours.

To keep up with training, I tried an OWS yesterday afternoon. I think I went through every symptom of a cold water swim: dive reflexes, nerves, anxiety...and then a BIG bass swam out from a rock under me and it really freaked me out. 200 yds maybe. Jumped out for a 1K run, then went to the gym for a 1000yd pool session.

My knee got bumped during work yesterday, and it's a little sore. I'm also a little tired from increased work load and poor sleep. Should be a fun race today otherwise. 

Can't wait to hear how it went? Work injury, that seems wrong somehow!! Let us know.
2012-05-27 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4230623

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
oak73 - 2012-05-26 5:44 PM

Completed my second race EVER!!  Thought I wasnt ready, but I surprised myself.  The course was amazing, beautiful neighboorhood, beautiful houses, great lake shore view of Lake Michigan, and OMG the hills!  Was not ready for hills.  When I hit the second hill, my heart dropped...this is Indiana, where did a hill like that come from...lol.

My time was 44:48, overall 299th place, 9th in my age group.  Not sure how many people there were in my age group, I havent visited the web site yet.  Even though my time was 24 seconds slower then my first race, I have to take in count those hills...lol.  Im proud.

It was such a great event.  So many people showed up to support a great cause.  The coolest thing was that most of the neighbors along the course were out in their lawns cheering, clapping, and ringing noise makers as we passed.  That sure added some extra encouragement and motivation to keep going.

My jogging partner also raced.  Her time was 34:30, overall 231st place, 9th in her age group.  It was great, after she finished, she came back a little bit and was waiting for me, and ran the last leg with me, giving me some more support!

Overall it was a great day.  I hope everyone else had a great day too.

Okey

YEE HAW!!! Nice work!
2012-05-27 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4128264

Great job Oak!! Sounds like you might have a new hobby. I never ever wanted to race, but now I'm kind of hooked. The best part of being active is seeing the physical gains (and lossesCool) over time, as well as improved pace and endurance. Racing keeps me motivated to try and achieve a better fitness level.

Speaking of fitness level...I took first place in my mud/obstacle run Saturday. Won a new pair of running sneakers from The North Face. My finish time was 25:??, which was almost 5 minutes ahead of second place. I even got lost at the very end and had to stop, back track, look around, go off course, and then get back on course. I feel like I pushed the pace hard a few spots, but the obstacles and mud really slowed things down. That was the first race in the series. Next is a bike race in July.

2012-05-27 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4231112

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN
skibummer - 2012-05-27 10:18 AM

Great job Oak!! Sounds like you might have a new hobby. I never ever wanted to race, but now I'm kind of hooked. The best part of being active is seeing the physical gains (and lossesCool) over time, as well as improved pace and endurance. Racing keeps me motivated to try and achieve a better fitness level.

Speaking of fitness level...I took first place in my mud/obstacle run Saturday. Won a new pair of running sneakers from The North Face. My finish time was 25:??, which was almost 5 minutes ahead of second place. I even got lost at the very end and had to stop, back track, look around, go off course, and then get back on course. I feel like I pushed the pace hard a few spots, but the obstacles and mud really slowed things down. That was the first race in the series. Next is a bike race in July.

Thanks...it was a great feeling.  And yes Im hooked...while I was at the pre-race, my jogging partner and I found 3 other races we are going to enter.  Its kind of funny, because so far while I am running in them, its hard, ruff, and im out of shape and struggling to finish, but when its over I feel great and say how fun it was...wish I had that fun attitude during mile 2.5 and rounding up a hill...lol.  It will definatly get better.

And congrats on first place.  That is great.  What is a mud race?  Is it anything like the Spartan Race?

2012-05-27 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4230999

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN
stephsprint - 2012-05-27 6:55 AM
oak73 - 2012-05-26 5:44 PM

Completed my second race EVER!!  Thought I wasnt ready, but I surprised myself.  The course was amazing, beautiful neighboorhood, beautiful houses, great lake shore view of Lake Michigan, and OMG the hills!  Was not ready for hills.  When I hit the second hill, my heart dropped...this is Indiana, where did a hill like that come from...lol.

My time was 44:48, overall 299th place, 9th in my age group.  Not sure how many people there were in my age group, I havent visited the web site yet.  Even though my time was 24 seconds slower then my first race, I have to take in count those hills...lol.  Im proud.

It was such a great event.  So many people showed up to support a great cause.  The coolest thing was that most of the neighbors along the course were out in their lawns cheering, clapping, and ringing noise makers as we passed.  That sure added some extra encouragement and motivation to keep going.

My jogging partner also raced.  Her time was 34:30, overall 231st place, 9th in her age group.  It was great, after she finished, she came back a little bit and was waiting for me, and ran the last leg with me, giving me some more support!

Okey

YEE HAW!!! Nice work!

Thanks Steph

2012-05-27 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-05-27 11:18 AM

You must be ONE TOUGH MUDDER!
2012-05-27 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Races. Some people, like me, love to race. I like that there is an official time, lots of people, safety in blocked off routes, early morning (usually) etc etc.

Some people are a little unsure about racing. They think people will 'notice' something they feel is inadequate - how they look in shorts, how slow they are, how heavy or thin they are. Guess what? Nobody notices or cares. There's a certain camaraderie out there that is really nice. Most people will just give an 'atta boy/girl' and be pleased you are putting for the effort. No matter how badly it hurts, or how much torture you may feel... it melts at the finish line! DONE, ACCOMPLISHED... and yes Oakey.... NEXT!?!?
2012-05-27 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4231243

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN

stephsprint - 2012-05-27 2:28 PM Races. Some people, like me, love to race. I like that there is an official time, lots of people, safety in blocked off routes, early morning (usually) etc etc. Some people are a little unsure about racing. They think people will 'notice' something they feel is inadequate - how they look in shorts, how slow they are, how heavy or thin they are. Guess what? Nobody notices or cares. There's a certain camaraderie out there that is really nice. Most people will just give an 'atta boy/girl' and be pleased you are putting for the effort. No matter how badly it hurts, or how much torture you may feel... it melts at the finish line! DONE, ACCOMPLISHED... and yes Oakey.... NEXT!?!?

So true Steph...the first race I ran I was nervous, and almost left at the pre-race because I felt out of place.  Although I stayed and was very happy that I completed the race.  The people are great.  Its such a friendly enviornment.  They dont care what level you compete on, they just care that you are there.  One thing is true no matter what sport or activity you are involved in...we all were new at one point!

2012-05-27 4:46 PM

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN

Oh yeah, Steph....you asked whats next.

Well I have the Necktie 5K, Father's Day weekend...Firecracker 5K, June 23...Washington Park Zoo 5k, July 7.

I was planning a sprint tri in August, but I have only hit the pool once this whole year.  My gym does not have a pool so its hard to get swim time in.  I also have a cheap Walmart mt. bike and everyone tells me how much harder its going to be to race with that.  So that one is still up in the air.

2012-05-27 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4231318

oak73 - 2012-05-27 5:46 PM

Well I have the Necktie 5K, Father's Day weekend...Firecracker 5K, June 23...Washington Park Zoo 5k, July 7.

I was planning a sprint tri in August, but I have only hit the pool once this whole year.  My gym does not have a pool so its hard to get swim time in.  I also have a cheap Walmart mt. bike and everyone tells me how much harder its going to be to race with that.  So that one is still up in the air.

Is it a yellow Mongoose? That's the bike I have. I am supposed to be saving for a good road bike, but I don't know if that is going to ever happen. My plan is to rent a bike for my bike race and then again at my tri in August if I don't have one by then. I may have to *gulp* put a bike on credit.

The mud race that I did was just a local ski resort watered down version of a 'Tough Mudder', but I think I liked this event more than I would an actual TM because it wasn't a gimmicky product. But maybe it is because I gots new shoesLaughing Those Spartan and Death Races etc... are for the hardcore suffer junkies. I feel that those things are a really good way to get injured with all those obstacle elements, not to mention the other crazies running on course. BUT I do respect the participants' undertaking of such an enormous challenge. 

Like your attitude on the race scene, Oak. Just about everyone is always super friendly. I always go back to the finish line to clap and encouraging the other finishers. I like to talk later about the course and which parts were cool or difficult. And you can find out about other races and routes.

My next race is Saturday. A 5K in town to raise money for pancreatic c@^$*#. My super fast buddy is running it, so that means I'm already aiming at second place. Seriously though, hoping for a top 10 spot.

2012-05-28 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Regarding bikes...I did my first two races on my old Mongoose cruiser style bike. (aka: Granny Bike)  Hey, doesn't matter.  Yes you will go slower, but you are going!  When you are ready to get a new bike, great.  Until then enjoy the race no matter what you are riding.

Also, as fas as renting a bike, unless you have experience riding a road bike I wouldn't rent one to race.  A road bike handles very differently than a mountain bike and it takes some getting used to.  The excitement and speed of other riders during a race is not the time to be experiencing something new.

Edited by suzimmer 2012-05-28 4:42 PM
2012-05-28 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4231318

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
oak73 - 2012-05-27 5:46 PM

Most races have a 'fat tire' division for people with mt bikes.

THe bike doesn't matter, Suz is right. Lots of people on mt bikes and hybrids.. i'm always amazed to see $400 to $9,000 bikes together in the same race. It's a wonderful sport that way, everyone cheers for everyone and hangs TOGETHER.
2012-05-28 11:18 PM

User image

Colorado

Did my first 10K today (so, automatic PR, right?)! I did the Bolder Boulder, which is THE BEST race I've ever run. It was so much fun and I had a smile on my face for the whole race. I danced, I did the slip and slide (!), and while I declined the bacon, marshmallows, beer, cotton candy, and Doritos (and similar racecourse fare offered by homeowners on the residential part of the course), I think I partook in all of the best parts of the race. It was AWESOME! (My time was 1hr 11 min 6sec - avg pace of 11:26 and I was totally happy with that).

2012-05-29 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4232616

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
amybecca - 2012-05-29 12:18 AM

Did my first 10K today (so, automatic PR, right?)! I did the Bolder Boulder, which is THE BEST race I've ever run. It was so much fun and I had a smile on my face for the whole race. I danced, I did the slip and slide (!), and while I declined the bacon, marshmallows, beer, cotton candy, and Doritos (and similar racecourse fare offered by homeowners on the residential part of the course), I think I partook in all of the best parts of the race. It was AWESOME! (My time was 1hr 11 min 6sec - avg pace of 11:26 and I was totally happy with that).

Yay! Glad you enjoyed it, I'm sure it was beautiful... kudos on the bacon, I'm not sure I could have resisted. Although I LOVE beer and I still can't do a morning race and drink beer after. I don't know how people do that!!

Slip n Slide... so cool!

2012-05-29 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
A few days left in May. Fortunately it's a long month. Nice big holiday weekend and you have a couple of days to regroup, plan for June, and have no regrets.

If you had a great training month, pat yourself on the back! If you didn't.... the only thing that matters is what you do today. ONWARD!!! Every day is another chance to do something good for yourself!
2012-05-29 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4230623

User image

Elite
washington state
oak73 - 2012-05-26 2:44 PM

Okey

Good for you!  Glad that you enjoyed your race and did so well.  Surprise hills are always interesting!  LOL

2012-05-29 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
washington state
amybecca - 2012-05-28 9:18 PM

Congrats!  Sounds cool

2012-05-29 9:51 AM

User image

Elite
washington state
skibummer - 2012-05-27 8:18 AM

Great job and new shoes to boot!

2012-05-29 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4233062

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN
deehtz - 2012-05-29 9:41 AM
oak73 - 2012-05-26 2:44 PM

Okey

Good for you!  Glad that you enjoyed your race and did so well.  Surprise hills are always interesting!  LOL

Thanks Dee...Im from Des Moines, WA, you would think I would remember what hills are like...lol.

2012-05-29 8:04 PM

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN
amybecca - 2012-05-28 11:18 PM

Great job!  Sounds like an amazing race.

2012-05-30 5:58 AM

User image

New user
Stonington, CT

I joined a running group at a local bar/restaurant in town.  They meet on Tuesday's at 6pm, run 5K and get timed- at the end of the run we got a popsicle stick with the time we finished (I was 37th) which we trade in at the bar for a beer, wine or soft drink (I had a beer )  What a cool group- I finished with a new personal best time of 33 minutes!  Yay!  I'm not so afraid of that HM in September now.  

And finally, I got my bicycle off of layaway!  Did a few leisure rides with dd over the holiday weekend, and pushed it with my Y friends up some scary hills!  

This Sunday is my first tri- although I am volunteering.  Going to bring dd & dh along as well.  

Take care all!

Bridget

2012-05-31 11:23 AM

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN
Im going to be sore tomorrow.  Going to the gym today to make up my Monday and Wensday workouts.  Then got my run tonight.  Monday was not my fault, the gym was closed.  Wensday, well...had a lazy day  lol.
2012-05-31 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Relaxing at home unable to sleep. Had a follow up appt at my orthopedic surgeon today, 2 weeks after surgery on my fractured ankle. Bone healing well with the exception of some fracture blisters. I have never seen so many staples before and gawked when they took off my cast. I swear my foot look like frankenstein foot. I now sport a walking boot but not allowed to walk yet so still hobbling around on crutches. My dear hubby now calls me "Herman Munster or Robocop".
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45