BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 91

2012-10-29 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4473532

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED

Artemis - 2012-10-29 9:39 AM So far, so good on the storm front!

Glad to hear it.

My niece is in New Milford, CT and 8 months pregnant. Not liking Sandy right now.

2012-10-29 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4458563

User image

Master
Orlando
2012-10-29 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4472805

User image

Master
Orlando
reecealan - 2012-10-28 8:21 PM
amd723 - 2012-10-28 6:20 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes Manatees.  I am home; powdered, puffed and eating pizza and drinking a beer!  I messed up my Garmin, so I have no idea what my time was and I haven't checked the website yet. 

I will write a RR soon, but here's a little hint: during the run, I changed the words to the  song  "the wheels on the bus go round and round ' to "the wheels on the bus are coming off, off, off!"

It was great to "meet" Chris.  He was nice enough to find me on the course and cheer for me!

Great job today Ann-Marie,

Results are up.  I think you did a great job all the way around Smile

Thank you!

2012-10-29 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4472601

User image

Master
Orlando
kgore - 2012-10-28 4:39 PM

Hey all, completed my 10k mud/obstacle race....1:34:00 or something....not bad...though I seem to have bruised my left hammy (stupid marine hurdles!) and pulled my right calf muscle....so I am happily hobbling around, trying to finish up the costumes.

While I love doing tris, I think I have more fun doing mud runs...something about the atmosphere of them; that and the challenge on the obstacles--doing more than you think is possible...

Congrats! I agree they are a ton of fun - especially if you don't mind get gross.  Hope your hammy and calf heal soon.

2012-10-29 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4472939

User image

Master
Orlando
bcraht - 2012-10-28 10:44 PM

Ok, back home where I have more reliable internet connection.  Reece, nice to hear from you.  Hope your relay went well.  Ann Marie, so sorry your swim got cancelled, but sounds like you had a great race!  Can't wait to read the RR.  Kate, you make me want to try one of those races for sure.  I think it would be a hoot.  Jenn, hope your race went well and same to Janyne on your ride!

So, I go to these agility trials with my SO.  They are always looking for volunteers--sometimes the dogs knock the bars off the jumps and you have to put them back up, when the bigger dogs run you have to put more bars on the jumps to make them higher, etc.  I usually volunteer at some point, because they feed you lunch.  So yesterday, I signed up to set the chute.  The chute is basically a barrel with a piece of fabric on the end that the dogs run through.  After they go through, the fabric is all twisted up, so you have to straighten it out so the next dog doesn't get caught.  I made the mistake of volunteering for several height classes, for a total of about 150 dogs.  I made up a song, too Ann Marie..."This is the class that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends, some people started running it not knowing what it was..." Ok, hold that thought.

We got back to the hotel and were going to go out for dinner, but I wanted to go for a bit of a run.  Of course, it is pouring out, it has been pouring all day.  So off I go, just 30 minutes, absolutely soaked at the end, but it was a good run.  We go out for dinner, sat for an hour or so.  I get up and I am feeling a little stiff.  Strange, I didn't run that far/fast.  I do some stretching and figure it was just the cold/wet.  This AM I get up and my hamstrings are KILLING me.  WTF?  Takes me an hour to realize...I did about 150 squats yesterday!  Get up from chair, walk to chute, crouch down, straighten chute, get up.  Holy cr@p.  Went out tonight for a short, slow, easy run to try and work some stiffness out...hopefully feeling better tomorrow!

Ha Ha. I guess your song applies to yourself   Sneaky way to get squats done!

2012-10-29 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4472947

User image

Master
Orlando
Artemis - 2012-10-28 10:59 PM

Hi Manatees!!  Had a great time at the 10k yesterday.  Super fun race with lots of costumes.  It was REALLY windy.  Ended up changing the location of the after party to be inside.  It was right next to our hotel, so that was nice.

The rain from Hurricane Sandy just started at home. We are prepared with lots of bottled water, canned food, a camp stove, and flashlights. There’s a good chance we’ll lose power - we seem to with every storm that has strong wind - and possibly water.

I am off work tomorrow and am keeping the baby home from daycare. Hubby still has to go to work, but it is about 10 minutes away, so it shouldn’t be too bad.

I’ll keep you updated when I can.

Glad you had a fun run.  Stay safe with the hurricane - hopefully it will be more hype then harm.

2012-10-29 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4473358

User image

Master
Orlando

cdban66 - 2012-10-29 9:25 AM I had the opportunity this weekend to volunteer at the Rev3 Half in Venice and I ended up leading the lead male runner through the course on my bike. I wrote in my log that I noticed the difference between the mental state of the pros and the "rest of us". By the rest of us, I guess I meant me, although I believe it applies to many. I was asked to elaborate and I thought about it and decided that the real difference was focus and mental fortitude. We were in the beginning of the run and there was no focus outside of his job at hand. In watching him I noticed that he never looked at the course, unless it was the 10-15 feet in front of him. He had an unwavering focus of the task at hand and was going to give anything within him to complete that task. On the out and back 2 loop run course, he was judging where he was in relation to the others behind him and calculating the entire time. His facial expression never changed (although I admit I missed the pass in mile 12 as I was riding into traffic and trying to make sure no one ran into me, the runners, or the film crew motorcycle.) His body language never let on to what he was feeling. WAY more mental effort then I have ever put into a race. All in all, it was very impressive, but as I have mentioned before, this is the largest struggle I have with racing. There were some other aspects that were pretty cool to watch, but that was the biggest thing I noticed.

Thanks for posting this Chris.  I guess I have a lot to learn about focus!

2012-10-29 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4473605

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
amd723 - 2012-10-29 12:05 PM

cdban66 - 2012-10-29 9:25 AM I had the opportunity this weekend to volunteer at the Rev3 Half in Venice and I ended up leading the lead male runner through the course on my bike. I wrote in my log that I noticed the difference between the mental state of the pros and the "rest of us". By the rest of us, I guess I meant me, although I believe it applies to many. I was asked to elaborate and I thought about it and decided that the real difference was focus and mental fortitude. We were in the beginning of the run and there was no focus outside of his job at hand. In watching him I noticed that he never looked at the course, unless it was the 10-15 feet in front of him. He had an unwavering focus of the task at hand and was going to give anything within him to complete that task. On the out and back 2 loop run course, he was judging where he was in relation to the others behind him and calculating the entire time. His facial expression never changed (although I admit I missed the pass in mile 12 as I was riding into traffic and trying to make sure no one ran into me, the runners, or the film crew motorcycle.) His body language never let on to what he was feeling. WAY more mental effort then I have ever put into a race. All in all, it was very impressive, but as I have mentioned before, this is the largest struggle I have with racing. There were some other aspects that were pretty cool to watch, but that was the biggest thing I noticed.

Of course. I'm not sure I want to be as focused as they were. But something between where they are and where I am would probably help me a bunch.

BTW, I thought you were fairly focused yesterday. If you weren't you might have been blown off your bike!
2012-10-29 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4473618

User image

Master
Orlando
cdban66 - 2012-10-29 11:14 AM

Of course. I'm not sure I want to be as focused as they were. But something between where they are and where I am would probably help me a bunch. BTW, I thought you were fairly focused yesterday. If you weren't you might have been blown off your bike!

I tend to let the demons in too much, but I try!

2012-10-29 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

I love inaguaral events, you just show up and god willing you end up with a podium spot.  Our team got third.  The team name was my idea, the three other guys on my team have done full Ironman races, I'm the half.  My average pace was 8:44 and our 2nd leg ran with me at my pace for 3.6 miles then our last runner ran with me for another 4.5 miles at MY pace so had we RACED this I think we would have given the Honey Badgers a run for their money.  And speaking of Honey, on about mile 12 of my leg is when some sweet honey of a runner passed me.   Her attire looked like a soccer uniform.  I only got pace booty for about a minute or two.  There were only maybe 40-50 teams and I was alone for the first 12 mies until I saw her.  I said something like, "this is a lonely race".

Edited by reecealan 2012-10-29 11:39 AM

(Bison 50 Top 5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bison 50 Top 5.jpg (80KB - 5 downloads)
2012-10-29 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4473649

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
amd723 - 2012-10-29 12:28 PM

cdban66 - 2012-10-29 11:14 AM

Of course. I'm not sure I want to be as focused as they were. But something between where they are and where I am would probably help me a bunch. BTW, I thought you were fairly focused yesterday. If you weren't you might have been blown off your bike!

I tend to let the demons in too much, but I try!

I'm right there with you, that is the part I am hoping to get better at this winter.

2012-10-29 11:39 AM

User image

Seattle

Looking forward to reading your report Ann-Marie.

And yes Chris, it's amazing the different levels of focus as you move through the pack. Holding some of those paces takes almost as much mental effort as it does physical. 

2012-10-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4473666

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2012-10-29 12:39 PM

And yes Chris, it's amazing the different levels of focus as you move through the pack. Holding some of those paces takes almost as much mental effort as it does physical. 

At this point I am convinced it is ALL mental.
2012-10-29 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4473659

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
reecealan - 2012-10-29 10:35 AM

I love inaguaral events, you just show up and god willing you end up with a podium spot.  Our team got third.  The team name was my idea, the three other guys on my team have done full Ironman races, I'm the half.  My average pace was 8:44 and our 2nd leg ran with me at my pace for 3.6 miles then our last runner ran with me for another 4.5 miles at MY pace so had we RACED this I think we would have given the Honey Badgers a run for their money.  And speaking of Honey, on about mile 12 of my leg is when some sweet honey of a runner passed me.   Her attire looked like a soccer uniform.  I only got pace booty for about a minute or two.  There were only maybe 40-50 teams and I was alone for the first 12 mies until I saw her.  I said something like, "this is a lonely race".

Nice job Reece! Love the team name.

BTW when I first saw your new avatar I wondered what new hottie was visiting the Manatee thread!

2012-10-29 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4473668

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2012-10-29 11:41 AM

Heh, I wish ... 

2012-10-29 11:52 AM

User image

Seattle
reecealan - 2012-10-29 11:35 AM

"and speaking of honey ... " HA! I love it!!! Nice work! 

2012-10-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4473671

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
rrrunner - 2012-10-29 11:42 AM
reecealan - 2012-10-29 10:35 AM

Nice job Reece! Love the team name.

BTW when I first saw your new avatar I wondered what new hottie was visiting the Manatee thread!

Awwwh Shucks, you made my day TJ!

(Tweety.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Tweety.jpg (24KB - 14 downloads)
2012-10-29 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4473689

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2012-10-29 12:51 PM

Heh, I wish ... 

It is for me. But I think I go through stages. Physical, mental, back to physical, etc. It kind of goes along with the plateaus that I see in my training, I think.

I can see where you probably have the mental aspect pretty well beat and are working pretty dang hard on the physical right now.
2012-10-29 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
reecealan - 2012-10-29 12:35 PM

Dude, you rocked that race, especially given that you weren't racing, but were training. Great job!
2012-10-29 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4473697

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2012-10-29 11:54 AM

Heh, I wish ... 

It is for me. But I think I go through stages. Physical, mental, back to physical, etc. It kind of goes along with the plateaus that I see in my training, I think. I can see where you probably have the mental aspect pretty well beat and are working pretty dang hard on the physical right now.

Nope, it's both. All the time. I don't think you ever have one aspect mastered. There are always improvements to be made. 

2012-10-29 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4473705

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2012-10-29 10:58 AM

Heh, I wish ... 

It is for me. But I think I go through stages. Physical, mental, back to physical, etc. It kind of goes along with the plateaus that I see in my training, I think. I can see where you probably have the mental aspect pretty well beat and are working pretty dang hard on the physical right now.

Nope, it's both. All the time. I don't think you ever have one aspect mastered. There are always improvements to be made. 

I think it was Kienle that talked about the mental aspect during the Kona coverage on Saturday. He basically said it is both. He said having mental strength doesn't help if your legs give up. But I think for many AGers we could improve A LOT by working on the mental side of the training. I know I could. 

2012-10-29 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4473710

User image

Seattle
rrrunner - 2012-10-29 12:01 PM

Heh, I wish ... 

I think it was Kienle that talked about the mental aspect during the Kona coverage on Saturday. He basically said it is both. He said having mental strength doesn't help if your legs give up. But I think for many AGers we could improve A LOT by working on the mental side of the training. I know I could. 

I do some training sessions where that is all I am focusing on. The mental aspect. In fact, treadmill sessions are pretty good for that. 

2012-10-29 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4473705

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2012-10-29 12:58 PM

Heh, I wish ... 

Thanks, I was afraid of that This is a never ending circle, huh? Kinda like life...
2012-10-29 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4473710

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
rrrunner - 2012-10-29 1:01 PM

Heh, I wish ... 

Yep. That sums up my winter.
2012-10-29 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4473711

Master
, California
Asalzwed - 2012-10-29 10:02 AM
rrrunner - 2012-10-29 12:01 PM

Heh, I wish ... 

I do some training sessions where that is all I am focusing on. The mental aspect. In fact, treadmill sessions are pretty good for that. 

I'll ride a bike alongside and yell at you like a drill sergeant.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 91