BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-01-24 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4593811

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
Here is another pic.

(20130114_200256a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20130114_200256a.jpg (82KB - 3 downloads)

2013-01-25 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Expert

Nice workout room Brian :=) We have exercise equipment fit into a lot of the nooks and crannies of our home. 

Steve, this week is technically recovery week according to my plan, with no more than a 6 mile run planned for the weekend. Shall I bump that up a bit? 

Also, wondering if there is any chance of improving my pace safely before my March event.  

2013-01-25 10:09 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Kate, if it is a recovery week then ya 6 miles for your long is fine.  So then you are looking at like 6 (this weekend) then 9, 10, 11, 7, 12, 13, 8, 6, race for long runs.  That should get you functional for the run.  Faster.... probably not so much.  You are going to be spending so much time building endurance you won't have much left in you to do a lot of speedwork.  That will be for your next HIM.  By the time you have your base solid for this race it will be time to taper.  After the race, your base will be strong enough that you can add in more hill work and intervals.  You can do a tempo run and bike each week and if you really want to you can do some 800 repeats once a week.  You run at an easy pace 10 min, then run 800 at a faster pace, then recover for 400, and repeat.  For you I would probably start with 3 of those and make them 1 minute faster than your comfortable run pace.  Then each week you add one more.  On the bike you can do the 30 sec fast 30 sec comfortable repeats 5x 30/30 recover 5 minutes and repeat 4x week one, 1:00 fast 1:00 slower x 5 4x with 5 minutes easy between sets and then 4:00 fast, 1:00 slow x 5 with 5 min between sets x5.  Do one of those each week on the bike.  Swim, well ya mix that up too.  I just don't think at that distance, in only 2 months you are going to get too much faster, but that is how you would do it.  Speed usually comes in terms of years in endurance sports.  So next year I would expect you could drop 30 mintues off your HIM time from this year if you do workouts like that.     

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-25 10:18 AM
2013-01-25 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey there, we're almost to the weekend!

Ken, LOL, hoping you didn't fall off the trainer!

Stu, hope you get some better weather this weekend.

Brian, nice workout room! You even have a window.  I agree, it is nice to have the bike already on the trainer.  Frame crack appeared in my (not so) old bike over the summer, so I have a dedicated trainer bike now.  Not the way I planened it, but one of those silver lining kind of things.

Steve, how did your first day back go?  Hope your brother is closer to IMTX than we are (3.5 hours away).  But if you ever come through DFW airport, we're only a couple miles away.

Kate, I hear you on the nooks and crannies.  Our trainers are set up in the living room.  I have a pic somewhere of mine decorated for Xmas that I'll have to post sometime.

Was on the fence yesterday about taking a rest day or doing 10 miles.  Headed out for the 10.  Made it less than 1.5 miles and had stomach issues.  Decision made for me...walked it home.  Back out for a bit over 6 this morning.  MUCH better.  Didn't want to do much more than that since HM is tomorrow morning, but will still wind up with around 43ish miles for the week.  Funny, a friend I met here on BT is running her first mary at Cowtown.  We've swapped staying w/ each other for races, and I look forward to seeing her again.  Anyway, she has struggled this week and we talked about that yesterday.  Then I had my failed run attempt and had to take all the same advice I gave to her about accumulated fatigue, shaking it off, etc.  Poetic!

2013-01-25 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Hah -- you people and your fancy workout rooms. .  I'm actually quite jealous; I'd love a treadmill at home!!

Back from my trip, and looking to get out for a run tonight. Won't be warm, thats for sure.  Leg/butt muscle issue seems to be receeding, as I didn't notice any issues yesterday and even better when I got out of bed this AM. Fingers crossed.

2013-01-25 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Hey Everybody!! Hope all is well. Its Friday so I have no complaints. I was just wondering if anyone had an Olympic training schedule that they are/were fond of. I have been looking at the TriathlonGeek schedule. I like it, but it seems too easy at the beginning. I suppose I can make a hybrid version for myself. To find a link to the schedule google this

beginnertriathlete.com: triathlon geek

and the first option has a link in the forum. I think the training schedule begins on page 8. I haven't been diligent with my training log but it looks something like this for the last 4 weeks.

Swimming 3 times a week following the 0 to 1600 plan (I'm on week 3). I was thinking I would continue this swimming program and then when finished I would switch to the training schedule swim workouts.

Cycling 2 times a week for an hour (spin class or some workout on the gym trainer)

Running 4 times a week (3-5 miles each time)

Last year for my sprint race I just did what I could or what I felt like. This year I would like to really adhere to a training schedule. My goal race is the Olympic REV3 Knoxville (May 5th). I would like to finish strong and build up a good base to build on for other olympics later this year. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to write a novel right now so let me know if you would like anymore details: goals, previous race details, etc.

Have a great weekend!

2013-01-26 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Oh my, this morn I went running with hubby.  How does it go...something like quote the raven, "Nevermore."  For the sake of our marriage, his running, my sanity - nope, not going to happen again.  Our styles are polar opposite and his major Type A sucks all of the ummpphh from me.  At mile 7, I got him to leave me and I enjoyed the last 3 miles a lot more.  Anybody else train with their spouse?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2013-01-26 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Haha! Pam, glad you got a run in with the hubby! Glad you did your own thing at the end and salvaged some fun. I go running with my wife on the weekends. My wife enjoys just being outside running. She isn't super fast, but it doesn't bother her. I used to let my type A get the best of me, but now I realize its more fun to run together. She likes running farther than I do, so I use the weekends as my long runs. That way she keeps me at a resonable pace. Then on the weekdays I let my type A take over. That way I am the only one that suffers.
2013-01-26 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Pink Socks - 2013-01-26 1:26 PM

Anybody else train with their spouse?

I cycle with him. It's nice, but we don't usually chit chat too much. 

He doesn't care much for running or swimming. 

Congrats on your nice run :=

I got a nice run in and a swim at the pool. I've some soreness coz I tipped over on my bike last night :=/ ouch. 

2013-01-26 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

You guys crack me up!  "Nevermore"...ha!  My hubby isn't keen on running and has no desire to try swimming.  But this summer when my bike met it's untimely end, we BOTH purchased road bikes and he likes cycling, yay!  We did a couple road rally's, and he swore I was trying to kill him after the first one.  But he did another one after that and wants to revisit the one where the supposed attempted murder took place .

Had a good time at the half mary this morning.  Really nice running weather, and met up with a friend I met here on BT and a few of her friends and hubby.  2:04 (5th in AG out of I'm not sure how many) with close to identical first half and last half avg paces.  Almost but not quite negative split, but felt like a nice even effort.  HR stayed pretty flat and had some gas in the tank at the end.  Hilly course, and tested 3 times, so a bit up and down on the pacing.  Considering accumulated fatigue, I'm pretty happy with it.  Hopefully was conservative enuf to not derail my last big mileage week coming up.  Oh, and more importantly, my first half marathon without an IPOD!  New one was on the porch when I got home .

2013-01-26 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Hello everyone.  Sorry for my lurking the last couple of days.  It had been incredibly busy.  I really hate it when life gets in the way of my training.  Wednesday's run was preempted by work.  Thursday's ride was cancelled by weather.  Friday's swim was interrupted by the threat of weather again.  Augh.  

I did get out today for my long run.  I was supposed to go 16.  It was an out and back course but on the way out I ran in a closed trail and it costs me over 2 miles.  Not very happy with that.  

Steve, today was my first time running with a cadence counter and my cadence was eerie consistent between 88 and 90 rpm.  However my pace didn't stay consistent.  Is that normal?  

2013-01-26 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Carol, great job in the HM!  And 5th AG is awesome!

Kate, so sorry about the tipover.  Been there, done that - way too much.  Hope you are feeling better.

Ken, great job on the run.  I'm interested to find out about the cadence too so I'm waiting for Steve's response too.  Longer stride, maybe?

2013-01-26 6:00 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hey everyone - happy Saturday!

Congrats Carol on the HM - sounds like you also raced it smart with the big goal in mind!

All you runners are doing fantastic!!  I look forward to getting long runs back in the double digits next month.

Training with spouse... well, we did go to the gym together today :-)  That's about as close as we come to training together.  I think the only frustration is that sometimes she gets a little annoyed when I get some training in every day (in a "you're going to do that AGAIN?" kind of way).  But that's just a matter of priorities.  I don't think we'd fare too well if I ever trained for an IM though.  That's okay, I don't think I'd fare too well either ;-)

Anyway, while we were at the gym today I started swimming (was planning on starting with a 1x1000) and my lane cleared and the lane next to me cleared and I thought it was a message to go on and do the 1 hour continuous swim, so I did.  Ended up with 3300 yards and some nasty calf and foot cramping in the last 200 yards.  Pretty happy with that overall for just getting back in the pool this month and I'm pretty sure that's my longest swim since high school.  Seems to me I've always stopped at 3000 yards in workouts.  I'd like to see if I could get in 2 miles sometime this year.  That turned out to be a really good goal to get me motivated about swimming again. 

Anthony, my BIL is planning on doing the Rev3 in Knoxville and I'm considering doing it as well.  That's a long way for you to go... do you have friends or family down there?

Stu

2013-01-26 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Mike the slug checking in. Did nothing on Th/F due to travel for work. Today was totally overtaken by our pending kitchen renovation project. Feel like a total slacker with the workouts, but nothing short of armageddon will stop me from getting to my long run tomorrow AM. Glad to see everyone else is getting things done! Still ridiculously cold here, but that's OK. Will check in again tomorrow.

2013-01-27 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Kate, I'm trusting you were OK after your fall?  And your bike?  Yes, have definitely been there done that.  Did you have an audience?

Ken, I looked at your log, and you are a pacing machine! So nice and even. 

Stu, glad the swim goal is making it fun.  You are a fish!

Mike, life happens, but know you will bounce back and post how your next workouts go.

Went to move boxes out of my FIL's house yesterday afternoon.  All that was left was...you guessed it....the upstairs.  So got a stair climing workout in after the race.  Yeeehaw!  And then got ready to go to sleep after dinner and realized I had not done my situps.  Very glad it's still "only" 30, so got them done.

Happy Sunday to all!

2013-01-27 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
almost felt inevitable, but the stomach bug has me down. Youngest daughter had it the other day, and have been living in fear ever since . Nothing good happening today, but hopefully tomorrow I can get back at it.

2013-01-27 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Well today was a rest day for me.  Tomorrow begins my half iron training program.  It's an 18 week program.  I have done the majority of the program before but this time I am increasing the intensity.  I am a little nervous but excited at the same time.  I know that I will be ready in Jun.  

2013-01-27 5:18 PM
in reply to: #4595952

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Stu, that would be great if you did the race also! We could meet up. My wife has an aunt and uncle that live in Knoxville so we are planning a couple days to spend with them. We also have friends in Nashville so we are making a week long vacation out of it to see them also. Keep me posted about your plans.

Edited by Antwonathon 2013-01-27 5:20 PM
2013-01-27 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm so far behind, which means the group is busy training. So cool!

My training has been under par, but great at the same time. What I have gotten in has been quality stuff. I did a 6 mile run at 10:55/mile, which is fast for me. It even included patches of ice and snow, so speed with added obstacles made me feel accomplished. Swim coaching seems to be fine. Though I'm not sure how I fit into the class yet. What I do know is I'm working on my cadence. Today I did 2800 and started feeling very comfortable with 25-27 strokes/length vs. 22. I'm learning how to adjust the amount of power I'm putting into the pull to keep my arms from getting trashed with the higher turn-over. It's interesting and takes so much concentration to count my strokes. I don't know how Steve keeps that up. I also pulled off a 15mph trainer ride today. I think this was the first time I was able to do that. I usually land in the 14's. Nice to see improvements.

Brian - I love your training room.

My roommate commented on how amazing it is that I have a very small bedroom that is also an office and a training room. Bed, dresser, bookcase, desk, fan and bike with trainer. It works.

2013-01-27 11:55 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Carol- Great job on the HM!

Ken - At least your cadence is coincidently right. My understanding is 90 is the general rule of thumb. I struggle to get that high, I seem to be more at 85 withour really concentrating on it.

Pam - New workout room = working out with my wife. But that is different than going for a run together. I do enjoy it when we can but that is few and far between since we have 2 young girls. But if it was a regular thing I might be right with you. 

Stu - Nice 2 hour swim, do you know the cause of the foot cramping? Sometimes I get that. I try not to push off the wall too hard and that seems to help. I am going to go for 1 hour on Tuesday.

Mike - uhhg that sucks to get sick, So far I have escaped while my wife and daughter were sick last week.

Samantha - Thanks. That is what we did until it hit us we never step foot in the guest room. Now if we have guest they get my daughters room and she gets booted to her sisters. 

My weekend was good. I had to work today (which is a first for a Sunday) but got my run in. Starting my second to last build. Long runs will be 10, 11 and 12. These will all be the longest I have ever run. Long bikes will be 45, 50, 55. 

2013-01-28 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Good luck with Day 1, Ken. Question -- with you having just run a marathon, how do you handle the run training for the HIM plan? Are you continuing a pre Mary run routine/weekly milage and incorporating it into the plan? Or just doing what the plan says and incorporating the other 2 sports into the routine? Curious about how folks handle that.

Samantha -- glad the swm is feeling better.  Noticed you are using higher stroke turnover; Is that something someone is coaching you about?

I'm feeling better today, and did a nice 5 mile run this AM. Great way to start the day.

2013-01-28 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4597348

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Mike_D - 2013-01-28 6:39 AM Good luck with Day 1, Ken. Question -- with you having just run a marathon, how do you handle the run training for the HIM plan? Are you continuing a pre Mary run routine/weekly milage and incorporating it into the plan? Or just doing what the plan says and incorporating the other 2 sports into the routine? Curious about how folks handle that.

Mike D - I am incorporating my marathon run plan with my half-ironman plan.  My plan included 3 days of running and so I am only adding one additional day.  

Had a great swim this morning.  Right now I am concentrating on technique.  Breathing and recovery.  Just like with running, I am trying to get to consistent strokes per 25.  I am normally an overthinker so I am trying to shut off my brain and let muscle memory kick in.  

2013-01-28 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Mike - I wish I had your morning ambition. Yes I have a new swim coach and that is what he is teaching me to do. He wants my turnover to be faster and involve my fast twitch muscles. Do you have thoughts about this?
2013-01-28 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Samantha -- just thought it was intersting since I'm being coached to do the exact opposite . My coach is emphasizing the need to stretch out my stroke, and emphasize the glide. I do about 17 strokes/25 yard length. Funny how 2 folks can have such different approaches to doing the same thing.
2013-01-28 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Ok catching up.  Yes 90 right foot strikes per minute is the goal.  If you are taller this might be somewhat fewer strikes, if shorter possibly more.  Your stride rate will depend on footing (icy/rough) and slope up/down, but should land somewhere around  90 on the flat.  So ya bike cadence 90, run cadence 90...

So swim efficiency is what you want.  If one is a slow glider, then the coach wants you to bring up the cadence and then once you are comfortable with that work on maintaining form.  Ideally you want to increase stroke rate without increasing stroke count per pool length.  If you are a thrasher, swinging fast and getting little propulsion then your coach will want to slow you down get your form right and then speed you back up again.  Distance= stroke rate x stroke distance.  If you double your stroke rate and half your stroke distance you go the same pace.  Now doing is way different than talking 8).  

Carol you asked about my training or lack there of.  Ya pretty frustrating.  So I am around a 2 mile walk with 2x 1:00 of jogging total.  I tried 4:00/1:00 walk jog for 2 miles and it was too much oy.  Biking was ok for 15 miles, and breaststroke 1500 yards (975 breaths), but probably no freestyle for 4 weeks if I am smart 2 weeks if I get stupide, it is still all a day by day thing. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52