BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-07-13 12:00 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Originally posted by Meljoypip

So how important is it to take a complete rest day?

I thought I had my training plan down but now I am starting to second guess it Tongue out.

My legs were tired last night on bike and I wondered if that was because I ran that morning. Not so tired I could not bike, just did not feel as strong as when rested...

I'm going to try and attach my plan if anyone can take a look and give an opinion.

I am going for 4 bikes, 4 runs a week. Friday is short bike, short run. I could take those off and make Friday a rest day...

Also I am trying to increase run millage gradually to avoid injury. Does this increase look too gradual?

Bike and run I aim for distance; time is an estimate on plan. For pool swims (Tu & Th) I am for 30 minutes. Will get in some OWS in weekends.

OK- I am adding links for my training plan (you might be able to view it here on BT, I could not tell)

July Training Plan

August Training PLan

September Training Plan

Looking at it- I think I will take off Friday's bike but not run and Saturdays Strength is really stretch/ flexability

Melody - I took a look at your plan.  Looks pretty good except you need to plan some rest days.  Maybe something like the following.

Week 1 - 1 day rest Sunday

Week 2 - 1 day rest Sunday 

Week 3 - 2 days rest Sunday & Wednesday

repeat...

Looks like Sunday would be a good rest day...I'd drop that 4th run.  You will feel much more refreshed.

Or keep to your plan but if you are feeling tired take a look at what you've done...and if many, many training days in a row - skip a day or two and then pick up where left off.

2013-07-13 12:03 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good luck to Hilde tomorrow/today!  Nice transition set up.  I especially love the toaster.

Janette - It is good to hear that you are back in training again!  You'll be back in shape in no time.

Michelle- AG win!!! Yeah!

Janet - Register for the tri.  Challenges are always worth it.

Shad - OMG on training load.

2013-07-13 12:04 PM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Middle Tennessee
My first epic century ride has been delayed by a two hour trip to the vet with our geriatric Lhasa Apso, Bailey. Not to be too graphic but he usually poopd himself silly, anytime Sheila is out of town. He gets all anxious if he doesn't see her everyday. That boy worships her. But when the poopt turned to blood it was off to the vet this morning. He has hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, a serious and potentially deadly intestinal issue. But he will recover fine. They filled him full of subcutaneous fluids, a shot to help slow the pooping, and 3 different meds to be given for the next week. I love that old curmudgeon dog something fierce, just glad I got him there in time. I'm now waiting for my phone to charge as I about killed it relaying his condition and treatment to Sheila and my Mama. I may not get the full hundred miles in but I will ride for however long daylight lasts,once I start. My triathlon motto is "Adapt, Improvise,and Overcome" so that's what I'm doing! Happy Training and good luck to all the Beasties racing this weekend!!
2013-07-13 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Shad- Sorry to hear about Bailey but glad to hear he's going to be OK.  

I bet your riding your heart out right now - there is about an hour of daylight left, hope you get another 25m at least!!

2013-07-14 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Shad, glad you got to the vet in time and got Bailey all fixed up! 

Just got home from the race, and I am tired!  I had a super great race and took 2nd in my AG and there were more than 2 people in it!  Actually there were 10 and I missed 1st place by only a couple of minutes and would have had it if my run had been better.  I did a run walk, and it worked well, but I easily spent more than 2 minutes walking... no official results yet, but from what I can remember seeing of my splits I had a fantastic bike leg!!  Even the run was not bad for me considering the walking, and the weather was great, overcast and kinda cool, I think it hit 85 once I was done.  Mr. Hilde had a good race too, he was thrilled he wasn't DFL and is already looking forward to the next one!!  I'll put up a race report once I have me results....  thanks so much for all your inspires, hope I made the Beasties proud!

2013-07-14 6:07 PM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

New user
Originally posted by Hildebeast

Shad, glad you got to the vet in time and got Bailey all fixed up! 

Just got home from the race, and I am tired!  I had a super great race and took 2nd in my AG and there were more than 2 people in it!  Actually there were 10 and I missed 1st place by only a couple of minutes and would have had it if my run had been better.  I did a run walk, and it worked well, but I easily spent more than 2 minutes walking... no official results yet, but from what I can remember seeing of my splits I had a fantastic bike leg!!  Even the run was not bad for me considering the walking, and the weather was great, overcast and kinda cool, I think it hit 85 once I was done.  Mr. Hilde had a good race too, he was thrilled he wasn't DFL and is already looking forward to the next one!!  I'll put up a race report once I have me results....  thanks so much for all your inspires, hope I made the Beasties proud!

congratulation Hilde and Mr. Hilde!

(IMG_0918.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0918.JPG (184KB - 27 downloads)

2013-07-15 7:57 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Nice going Hilde!  Looking forward to the race report.  Sounds like you both had a great race.

Charlie --- So jealous of your photos and training area.   Cool

2013-07-15 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Nice going Hilde!  Looking forward to the race report.  Sounds like you both had a great race.

Charlie --- So jealous of your photos and training area.   Cool

X2-

This is exactly what i was thinking, Congrats Hilde & Hubby!!

and WOW! What a view!!!

2013-07-15 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
2013-07-15 10:07 AM
in reply to: arquillo

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Congrats to Michelle and Hilde on your tri's and finishes. Great work. As for me. I went out to the backwoods for a multiple day camping trip. Took the travel trailer and boat. Spent time fishing kids and wife caught fish which is great. I caught one but no biggie. Time spent on the beach. I did do some swimming but did not keep track. Time on the beach and around the camp fire eating s'mores and drinking beer might have put a dent in the fitness but I don't care it was a great weekend. I did bring my running shoes so I at least had the thought of working out. Got back yesterday and unpacked during the down pour. Weather looks good today going to do something to day not sure what but something.
2013-07-15 2:04 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana
Congrats, Michelle and Hilde on your race finishes! After reading Hilde's race report, I wondered if ANYONE ever sleeps well the night before a race. I know I don't. Also, Hilde you impress me for sitting on the ground to put on bike and road shoes. I am afraid, I have a hard time getting all the way down and back up in transition. Hence, my favorite 5 gallon bucket seat!

I rode my road bike this morning for the first time in a month. It felt great to be out and pedaling in a good cadence. I thought I was really in the flow and then I turned back into the wind and realized I was getting a nice boost from Mother Nature!! It was still an awesome morning.

2013-07-15 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Race report is done!

Hildebeast's Race Report

woohoo!!! congrats, hilde! 2nd AG is fantastic, especially given your training setbacks this season. and yay for your husband finishing his first tri and not being DFL!
2013-07-15 4:29 PM
in reply to: jaykayjay

User image

Expert
Missouri

I rode my road bike this morning for the first time in a month. It felt great to be out and pedaling in a good cadence. I thought I was really in the flow and then I turned back into the wind and realized I was getting a nice boost from Mother Nature!! It was still an awesome morning.

This happens to me alot too when I ride outside.  I always seem to start out with the wind at my back but don't realize it until I turn around and it smacks me in the faceSmile.  Great job getting back on the bike!

Hilde - congrats to you and your husband on your race this weekend! 

2013-07-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Expert
Hi everyone! I'm back from the weekend conference in Utah (and WOW is it lovely out there...made me wish I had a MTB so I could barrel down those trails I saw at Sundance too-- looked like such fun!). More importantly, I'm back on schedule: just got the OK from my doc today to race the Racine HIM this weekend if I feel up to it, so I'm glad I got my bike checked out at the bike shop earlier today, just in case! (I'm using my roadie, Joe, as a number of people have recommended due to the hilly course.) So let the taper week begin...I know I won't be super-speedy on the day, but it'll give me a sense of how I *am* doing physically under race conditions. Ah, the jitter of taper week nerves... HURRAY for Hilde's return to the racing world: even with 6 weeks out, she still snags 2nd AG-- love it! And so glad your hubby liked the experience-- tell him to come on over to the dark side: we have cookies! Have a great week, everyone-- you'll likely hear more from me this week because of taper nerves, despite a crazy appointment-filled schedule (most interesting one is a meeting with a nutritionist who works with endurance athletes on Thursday-- will report on what I find out!).
2013-07-15 6:45 PM

User image

New user

Race report is done!

Hildebeast's Race Report

congratulations Mr and Mrs Hilde! don't dread the run, love it. start slowly. maintain a good heart rate at the start.

@Melanie and Melody, thank you for the comment on the picture i posted you are welcome to come and visit anytime.
2013-07-15 7:26 PM
in reply to: wrkinprogress

User image

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by wrkinprogress

Hi everyone! I'm back from the weekend conference in Utah (and WOW is it lovely out there...made me wish I had a MTB so I could barrel down those trails I saw at Sundance too-- looked like such fun!). More importantly, I'm back on schedule: just got the OK from my doc today to race the Racine HIM this weekend if I feel up to it, so I'm glad I got my bike checked out at the bike shop earlier today, just in case! (I'm using my roadie, Joe, as a number of people have recommended due to the hilly course.) So let the taper week begin...I know I won't be super-speedy on the day, but it'll give me a sense of how I *am* doing physically under race conditions. Ah, the jitter of taper week nerves... HURRAY for Hilde's return to the racing world: even with 6 weeks out, she still snags 2nd AG-- love it! And so glad your hubby liked the experience-- tell him to come on over to the dark side: we have cookies! Have a great week, everyone-- you'll likely hear more from me this week because of taper nerves, despite a crazy appointment-filled schedule (most interesting one is a meeting with a nutritionist who works with endurance athletes on Thursday-- will report on what I find out!).

So happy you got clearance to race! Just getting to the starting line is winning! Jitter away! We're all here to support ya!

2013-07-15 7:26 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by wrkinprogress

So happy you got clearance to race! Just getting to the starting line is winning! Jitter away! We're all here to support ya!
2013-07-16 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Charlie, you are making where I work out feel like hell!!  You live in a really gorgeous part of the world!  (In spite of the jellyfish!)

Janette, YEA on getting back on the bike, so glad to hear you inching your way back into the tri world!!!  Are you going to have a nasty scar on your leg??  My dermatologist swears on keeping it "wet" with Bacitracin or Vaseline until it is fully healed.  I'm using something called "Scarprin" on the one that shows, been almost 2 months, it's a 100% silicone gel, and I see improvements, only thing it won't help is the coloring and my scars are very pink for a LOOOOONNNNG time before they fade.  Working out makes them particularly ugly, like they fill up with blood or something?

Alex, I have no doubt that if you have clearance to race you will even if you DON'T feel ready!!  Enjoy the taper madness!!  You might as well start carb loading now!

Have a great week everyone!!  We had a solid day of rain all day long yesterday, it was glorious!  MY plan was to stay in jammies and watch Lifetime movies all day, but what I didn't count on was hubby took the day off... so we went out to lunch of course!  I tried to take a nap, but I was just falling asleep when a cold, wet, basset hound nose wanted to come up on the bed!  Hoping the race photos are ready soon and I'll post some, that's one thing kind of new here, FREE photos are included with the race entry!

2013-07-16 6:53 PM

User image

New user
how about some photos too Hilde?
2013-07-17 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good to hear Alex is cleared for racing!

I never, ever sleep well before a race.  Always just toss and turn.

Been pretty hot & humid here in the DC area.  My A/C hasn't stopped running.  No other news on this end.  Will try to get in a ride mid-day but that is iffy.

On another note, both my girls have seemed to realize that Iron Girl is just 4 weeks away.  They both did it two years ago and were not prepared.  I think memories of the past are starting to motivate them!  My oldest has been training fairly consistently.  She's been heading out the door after work for a bike or a run --- even when she gets home on her late days (8:00pm).  My youngest is also getting her runs in.  I am working to get her on the bike more.

2013-07-17 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Originally posted by oldSAP how about some photos too Hilde?

Still waiting, they aren't up yet!!  I usually HATE my photos, but I will post some!

2013-07-17 6:18 PM

User image

New user

Been pretty hot & humid here in the DC area.  My A/C hasn't stopped running.  No other news on this end.  Will try to get in a ride mid-day but that is iffy.

On another note, both my girls have seemed to realize that Iron Girl is just 4 weeks away.  They both did it two years ago and were not prepared.  I think memories of the past are starting to motivate them!  My oldest has been training fairly consistently.  She's been heading out the door after work for a bike or a run --- even when she gets home on her late days (8:00pm).  My youngest is also getting her runs in.  I am working to get her on the bike more.

Tri runs in the family. that's wonderful.
2013-07-18 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by oldSAP

Tri runs in the family. that's wonderful.

We will see!  I am pleased with their efforts so far.  I have not told my youngest that she will get to borrow a nicer bike for the race and two weeks prior to the race.  She riding an older heavy bike and the course is quite tough for a beginner race.  I want her to work a bit for the next two weeks!  If she shows interest in continuing to ride, we will spring for a new one.  I have looked a used road bikes but she is very petite at 4'9" so right-sized bikes are hard to find.  Luckily a friend has a friend who has a right-sized bike to lend.

2013-07-18 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Love the stories of tri running in families: hope your daughter earns that new bike! The interesting news here is that I saw the nutritionist today: Monique Ryan, who's written a book on nutrition for endurance athletes and has worked with quite a few. Very interesting and informative meeting, the upshot of which is that I've actually been eating too little (! as a former fat kid, I'm so much more accustomed to eating less...), I need to eat more carbs (especially grains and starches, which I've often avoided), and I need to start drinking 24oz of sports drink per hour on the bike (oof). She drew up two sample meal plans for two different days-- one lighter day and one medium day. I'll adapt as needed for the long days. Will be interesting to see how it goes when I put it into place after Racine! Until then, it's tick, tick, tick...and look at the weather forecast. :P Hope everyone's weeks are going well and are cooler than it is here in the stupefyingly hot and humid Midwest!
2013-07-19 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana
I. too, love the training within the family. I don't usually work out with anyone else, but once in awhile, I love to have my husband or my daughter go along with me. It makes it so much more fun.

The tri race I was initially planning for this summer is this weekend. I will not be traveling there, but I have a good friend who is doing her first one at this race. She came over last night and we went through her transitions and I told her what I remembered about the course. I am excited for her, but a little envious too. I am no where near a position to do this race, but it motivated me to commit to something. I have registered for a half marathon in September and this weekend I will be researching a tri race that isn't a terrible distance away. My options from southeastern Montana are pretty slim.

I can be ready in the bike and run, but I need to get over the fear that I have to be a stellar swimmer just to enter. I am planning on getting clearance to get in the water this next week. Most of the OWS in my area is so dirty that my doctor thought it would be too risky to expose my leg with any open areas to infection.

Have a great weekend, Beasts!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29