BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-18 8:07 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

22/28, should be close to wrapped up by the end of the weekend. Just over 3 weeks until race day!

2014-06-18 8:43 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
20/28 today. A bit off the rails earlier this week. The weather here is not conducive to training (10 C and Rain, a lot of rain).

However I did get in a great swim this morning! 1100 m in 21 min.
2014-06-18 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

22/28, should be close to wrapped up by the end of the weekend. Just over 3 weeks until race day!

Congrats Thor on posting the 500th message on the forum. I'd give you some Molson Light as a prize but I know you already have a big supply of your favorite beer

Seriously - this group is awesome! We have the second most posts of anyone in the forum and that means we are all working to accomplish our goals and supporting each other along the way.

As a fan of Cleveland sports, I'm not used to doing so well! Let's keep it up!
2014-06-18 10:16 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jeakins

20/28 today. A bit off the rails earlier this week. The weather here is not conducive to training (10 C and Rain, a lot of rain).

You are a b@d in the pool Jeff! I can do 1:55x100 for maybe 100 or 200 meters tops, so good on you. Hope the weather gets warmer soon!
2014-06-18 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Problem I have with my kick is my rhythm. I can't chew gum and walk at the same time let alone kick with any type of rhythm while I am moving my arms. So I guess I am also one that just kinda lets their legs do their own thing. When I try to focus on my kick and timing my stroke goes to he77. So I just stop thinking about it and accept it for what it's worth.
2014-06-18 11:50 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
21/28 for the month. Looks good so far. First race of the season coming up on 7/6. It's my anniversary race so I'm pretty excited.

2014-06-18 12:27 PM

User image

Training has been crap for me lately. Last week I took a recovery week but did get a solid hill workout on the bike in Muskoka. I came home from my camping trip to find a burst pipe led to a flooded basement. I had to tear all the carpets out because of the smell. I've been dealing with that all week and haven't really done any training. I went out last night to compete in my first criterium of the year and it was cancelled because of high winds. I have an Olympic on the weekend and I don't think it's going to go as well I had hoped. 

Next week I'm in Ottawa to do some solid hill training, hopefully things go better then. 

2014-06-18 12:37 PM

User image

This week's training has been dismal for me...I was REALLY tired earlier in the week and we are getting ready to leave on vacation for three weeks. So I am only at 16/28, and I'll need a day of adjustment when we get there as it's 6K feet elevation. But, while on vacation my plan is to train, train, train....I'll call this a rest week. I come back and have 10 days until my first tri.

Thanks for the motivation of this group, I am hoping it gets me to the pool today. :-) Buying a wetsuit this afternoon, which had better spur me on for the OWS training for the cost.... :-)
2014-06-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by sandishr This week's training has been dismal for me...I was REALLY tired earlier in the week and we are getting ready to leave on vacation for three weeks. So I am only at 16/28, and I'll need a day of adjustment when we get there as it's 6K feet elevation. But, while on vacation my plan is to train, train, train....I'll call this a rest week. I come back and have 10 days until my first tri. Thanks for the motivation of this group, I am hoping it gets me to the pool today. :-) Buying a wetsuit this afternoon, which had better spur me on for the OWS training for the cost.... :-)

So what wetsuit did you decide on?

Three weeks vacation...sweet. Where are you vacationing?

2014-06-18 3:02 PM

User image

Got in a swim today despite a schedule change. may run after weights but for now I'm 10/28 also known as slacking.

when I went back I saw a thread on wetsuits, I bought a xterra last year and love it. I've only used it 3 times so far. They have good sales and I was able to get a transition bag for $10 from them.

Scott
2014-06-18 3:09 PM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by Qua17

You are a b@d in the pool Jeff! I can do 1:55x100 for maybe 100 or 200 meters tops, so good on you. Hope the weather gets warmer soon!

Thanks! The swim is by far my best part of any Tri. It was a bit discouraging during my first Tri as I was in the fastest heat and I knew my swim time was not correlated with my bike or run. As a result I had many people passing me after I got out of the pool. But I finished and I am getting faster at the other 2 events. If I can get to a point where can consistently run for 15 min without walking before my sprint in September I will be happy.

2014-06-18 3:40 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins 20/28 today. A bit off the rails earlier this week. The weather here is not conducive to training (10 C and Rain, a lot of rain). However I did get in a great swim this morning! 1100 m in 21 min.
Thanks! The swim is by far my best part of any Tri. It was a bit discouraging during my first Tri as I was in the fastest heat and I knew my swim time was not correlated with my bike or run. As a result I had many people passing me after I got out of the pool. But I finished and I am getting faster at the other 2 events. If I can get to a point where can consistently run for 15 min without walking before my sprint in September I will be happy.

Welcome to my world!

I come out of the pool/lake in the top 15%, only to be continually passed for the rest of the race! Hope to change that this year.

Biking is king. My wife is a middle of the pack swimmer(on a good day) but improved her bike this year to kick butt in her first tri of the year.

2014-06-18 3:55 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Made it the pool today for a 1000m workout. As one of the segments I did 400m at "mostly race pace" to see how my time would be for my upcoming sprint. My average for the distance was 2:06/100. I think I can push a bit harder on race day and get it down to 2:00 or a little below.

2014-06-18 4:38 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

Made it the pool today for a 1000m workout. As one of the segments I did 400m at "mostly race pace" to see how my time would be for my upcoming sprint. My average for the distance was 2:06/100. I think I can push a bit harder on race day and get it down to 2:00 or a little below.

nice. no run after weights today it was 100+
2014-06-19 8:31 AM

User image

Hi guys
I have something I'd like to know some thoughts on. Heart rate monitors.
Part of me wants to get one because I am one of those people who like to measure everything and also I am more than a little gaget crazy. On the other hand I don't know if that data is something that is useful for a brand new beginner like me or if it really only starts being something to pay attention to once you've been working out for a good while? Thoughts?

And if anyone wonders the one I am thinking about is Wahoo Blue HR, because I know several places around here where I can get my hands on it.
2014-06-19 9:48 AM
in reply to: Craftyviking

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Craftyviking Hi guys I have something I'd like to know some thoughts on. Heart rate monitors. Part of me wants to get one because I am one of those people who like to measure everything and also I am more than a little gaget crazy. On the other hand I don't know if that data is something that is useful for a brand new beginner like me or if it really only starts being something to pay attention to once you've been working out for a good while? Thoughts? And if anyone wonders the one I am thinking about is Wahoo Blue HR, because I know several places around here where I can get my hands on it.

First off a heart rate monitor is always good for training whether you are just starting or have been doing it for years. As for type...budget will play a part.

There is a new Tom Tom multisport cardio just out that will track swimming/running/biking at a pretty reasonable price. it is Bluetooth capable so you can use other blue tooth devices with it such as the Wahoo cadence/speed sensor(which I have). That being said there is fancy new Wahoo Tickr X coming out in the fall...Of course there is always the Garmin, Polar, timex etc that you can go with but these are the two I have been looking at.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/hr.html

http://sports.tomtom.com/en_us/

Decisions, decisions.

2014-06-19 11:42 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by MOlsen

Very nicely done. You should have no problem busting that 2:00 on race day!
2014-06-19 11:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Originally posted by Craftyviking Hi guys I have something I'd like to know some thoughts on. Heart rate monitors. Part of me wants to get one because I am one of those people who like to measure everything and also I am more than a little gaget crazy. On the other hand I don't know if that data is something that is useful for a brand new beginner like me or if it really only starts being something to pay attention to once you've been working out for a good while? Thoughts? And if anyone wonders the one I am thinking about is Wahoo Blue HR, because I know several places around here where I can get my hands on it.

First off a heart rate monitor is always good for training whether you are just starting or have been doing it for years. As for type...budget will play a part.

There is a new Tom Tom multisport cardio just out that will track swimming/running/biking at a pretty reasonable price. it is Bluetooth capable so you can use other blue tooth devices with it such as the Wahoo cadence/speed sensor(which I have). That being said there is fancy new Wahoo Tickr X coming out in the fall...Of course there is always the Garmin, Polar, timex etc that you can go with but these are the two I have been looking at.

Decisions, decisions.

I agree HR can be a valuable training tool. Especially when you are new. When I ran I thought I was going easy until I used a HR monitor and realized I was going way to hard. Now I train by zones and feel like it's helping me.

While the TomTom is sexy I always liked something with a HR strap. I read somewhere you get a better and more accurate reading. I didn't read much about the new technology on the TomTom I just saw it was based on no strap so I could be wrong. Plus I feel cool when I run shirtless with my HR strap haha. If it's more of a budget thing there are tons of other options that are considerably less.

Summary: HR training is very valuable if used correctly. The zones must be set up correctly. There is an article here on BT about HR zone training and set ups. It's under the drop down menu...Articles > Training > Heart Rate. Good stuff in there.

Edited by Burd 2014-06-19 11:58 AM
2014-06-19 2:23 PM
in reply to: Craftyviking

User image

Originally posted by Craftyviking

Hi guys
I have something I'd like to know some thoughts on. Heart rate monitors.
Part of me wants to get one because I am one of those people who like to measure everything and also I am more than a little gaget crazy. On the other hand I don't know if that data is something that is useful for a brand new beginner like me or if it really only starts being something to pay attention to once you've been working out for a good while? Thoughts?

And if anyone wonders the one I am thinking about is Wahoo Blue HR, because I know several places around here where I can get my hands on it.

+1 for good idea. I bought one about 4 months after I started training and it defiantly helped. I use the garmin 910xt not cheap but I like it and can see my workouts on garmin connect. I found that by staying in hrz 2 I could run seemingly forever. I'm interested in the polar v800 but it doesn't track swim (yet). I don't use the hr data on the bike as much but the cadence/ speed sensor is what I like fo track. DC rainmaker has pretty good reviews for all the fitness gadgets.

Scott
2014-06-19 7:41 PM

User image

Expert

Wow - BT edited my post. I guess big brother is indeed watching...
2014-06-19 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

21/28 for the month. Looks good so far. First race of the season coming up on 7/6. It's my anniversary race so I'm pretty excited.

Good luck with the race Alex! How's the knee?

2014-06-19 8:04 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Got in a swim today despite a schedule change. may run after weights but for now I'm 10/28 also known as slacking.

when I went back I saw a thread on wetsuits, I bought a xterra last year and love it. I've only used it 3 times so far. They have good sales and I was able to get a transition bag for $10 from them.

Scott

So, take stock. You had a good day and should feel proud of the fact that you managed to get a swim in despite the schedule change. And you have 10 days left in the month. Set a new goal for yourself and work hard to achieve it. You pick the number and report in. We will cheer you on!
2014-06-19 8:09 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

Decisions, decisions.

I agree HR can be a valuable training tool. Especially when you are new. When I ran I thought I was going easy until I used a HR monitor and realized I was going way to hard. Now I train by zones and feel like it's helping me.

While the TomTom is sexy I always liked something with a HR strap. I read somewhere you get a better and more accurate reading. I didn't read much about the new technology on the TomTom I just saw it was based on no strap so I could be wrong. Plus I feel cool when I run shirtless with my HR strap haha. If it's more of a budget thing there are tons of other options that are considerably less.

Summary: HR training is very valuable if used correctly. The zones must be set up correctly. There is an article here on BT about HR zone training and set ups. It's under the drop down menu...Articles > Training > Heart Rate. Good stuff in there.

X2

I would argue that HR monitors are more important for new triathletes than for experienced runners. Alex is spot on - people new to the sport push to hard (hell - this is my 3rd year and I still push too hard at times) and it often will lead to injuries. Buying a monitor can be a great tool to help grow your love for the sport and to maximize your progress
2014-06-19 8:57 PM

User image

just an update I did my first set of deadlifts since I tweaked my back, had to go light but had no pain from it. I have told our PT trainers that I am going to Sh*& can their lifting plan if they do not give me a plan that includes r/b/s not just heavy lifting. they are suppose to sit down with me Monday to address it.

Scott
2014-06-19 10:04 PM

Bismarck, ND
All this talk about HR monitors brings up a question that I have had, right now I am following a BT "custom" program. I am doing the balanced 3/week or each sport (having difficulty getting them all in).

What days should I be pushing and which days do I take it easy? My "long runs" on the program are actually shorter than my average runs prior to starting the program. I have trained for half marathons before so I am kinds of familiar. But, those were trying to build mostly endurance with some speed. Now, I want to maintain my endurance but gain speed.

When I bike, I just bike. I try to go as fast as I can and push as hard as I can. My biggest flaw is going to be getting enough miles in on the bike. I have never "trained" for a bike race so I don't know exactly what to do. From what I have read, it seems like to build speed you just need to get on the saddle and ride. I don't know, is this thinking wrong?

Swim, well swim is swim. I have been reading up on some things on that.

But, I guess, when do I push? When do I take it easy? Is there a different training program out there that would be better for me? My next tri isn't for 7 weeks.

Hope this makes sense. Trying to make as short as possible without making it confusing.

BTW, as I write this I am enjoying a Shock Top.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51175 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19856 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.