BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-05-15 4:27 PM
in reply to: #641608

User image

MotoQueen
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL
Mel, how did your open water swim go the other day? It's different than being in a pool, isn't it?

2007-05-15 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Cathy - Thanks so much for all your help in answering SO many detailed questions. You have been a great source of information, but DON'T feel like you need to continue in the Mentor role if that is too much pressure. I think it would be great to see this group continue to support each other on this thread and we can hopefully answer each others questions and you can join us at that level and not feel like you have to check in on everyone's logs and answer everyone's questions.  That's my 2 cents!
2007-05-16 12:28 PM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Thanks Cathy and everyone for letting me join your group so late in the game. It has been great to follow your progress. I would like this thread to stick around also.
2007-05-16 12:33 PM

User image

Hi gang!

WTG on your Tri's!!! I love the pictures--keep posting 'em. Does that mean that we have 3 or 4 Tri's completed?

Thanks for all the words of wisdom-- you ladies keep me going. I haven't been able to post in a while-- work outs have been going well-- time to pick up the running and biking a bit.

Cathy-- thank you being such a wonderful mentor-- It has been a great help--- getting started was the hardest part and you made it seem like such a reachable goal. Good luck-- remember if you need to vent we're here for you!

Hope you all had a relaxing mother's day! (I got to take care of two sick kids and a sick husband--- so, really three sick kids)

Melissa
2007-05-16 9:20 PM

Yes, I definitely want this group to stick around. I have just gotten on board and I love having you guys to talk to and to read about. We can all still have each other to vent with and learn from.
Well, I survived my first race this past Sat. It was harder than I thought and it was also fun. 400 m pool swim, 12 m bike, 5K run. I accomplished the goals that I had, which was to finish and do it in around an hour and half. I finished in 1:38:08. I did finish last in my age group 35-39, but overall, I was 154 out of 174. My swim was not as fast as I had practiced, but it made a difference with all the commotion in the pool. It was about 11:50. Bike was 15.8 avg, which took about 48 mins. Then the dreadful run. That was the hardest of all. Legs were like lead in the start, luckily it was downhill to start with. I was able to drink lots of water on bike, but by the time I got to the run, into the last 10 mins, I started cramping in my right leg. I stopped a bit to beat it out, then headed on. It finally went away. I walked some, but I just did not run as fast as I thought I could. It was hilly, and it was getting hot. I finished it in 36 mins. The run was definitely my weakest part. Transitions were okay. I had to pull my biking shorts over my swimsuit. I now have a pair of Tri Shorts and Top for this weekend. YES... I am doing another one on Sat. Swim is only 275 yards this time and the course is supposed to be easier.

Overall, I felt great about it. I had several different emotions out there. About 8 m into the ride, I was lonely out by myself and wondered if I would make it. Then I got motivated again and felt like crying. --- I remembered that Erika was out there too. She was 10 mins ahead of me in the pool. She made it to the finish in 1:48:15. She felt like quitting on the bike, because it was pretty hilly. She walked alot in the run, but there were several men that came along and motivated her to run with them. She was beat when it was over and so was I.

I will try to find out how to do the Race Report on here. I know somebody told us what link to go to, so I will do that soon.

Since Jan, I have lost 10 lbs and I feel the best that I have ever felt. I think this is where I want to be. I want to have these races to strive for. I did not make up my mind to do a Tri, until about 2 months ago. I had been working out swimming and running on treadmill. Have always rode my bike. All of a sudden, I said, I will do a triathlon, before I am 40. So here I am. I turned 39 this past Feb and I am on my way.

Whew... I got a little chatty on here. Yall have a great week. Pray for me again on Saturday.
Hoping for better swim and run. Kids will be doing a kids race at 12. Less distance for Erika.
2007-05-16 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi girlies I have been really loving reading about all of your great experiences! I have been trying not to talk myself out of my tri on June 17th. I wasa not able to train to run at all due to my hip problem however I am still swimming between 3-4000 yards 3X per week and spinning twice a week. I have done several road rides now, ave about 15 mph. I guess it will be okay if I do the swim, the bike, and walk the 5k.

I am not where I want to be weight wise, but I feel very strong. Mainly I just feel like I want to do it! I started this with Team in Training in mind as my 50 year old aunt died of cancer in March and now my grandmother is battling cancer as well. I promised my aunt I would do this for her!

Anyhow enough rambling I hope you all are doing well! And thanks for all of the advice and stories! It has been motivating me not to talk myself out of this!

Heather

PS Cathy---thanks for all of the support!!!!! I understand about school I just finished the semester and I had a really hard time finding the time to train!

2007-05-16 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

luv2bike - that is such a great success story about your first tri! You should be very proud of yourself, if I remember correctly from earlier posts, Erika is your daughter. Is that right? Sounds like she did great.

Heather - You can do it! Sounds like you are totally ready for the tri given your swimming and bike times and to be honest, your first tri is tough on the run as the jello legs set in and there will probably be many people walking. I hope you stick with it! It really is a great feeling of accomplishment.

2007-05-16 11:44 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Congrats luv2bike!

Heather, definitely still do it!  You will do just fine

OK, let's keep the thread here, it's nice to have a place to "meet."  That way we can keep track of each other! 

carbongirlco, please feel free to chime in too! 

2007-05-17 5:38 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Heather, walking the run is not as awful as it sounds. I walk, rather than run, and had lots of company walking on my tri. My goal was to beat 2 hours for a sprint tri and I did it, and that was with walking. So now I will set my goal to beat my last time, and I certainly plan on doing that. Of course, at some point I may start running (doubt it, never have been a runner), but I do want to improve my swim time and bike time first.

Being the grandmother of the group, you all inspire me to keep up. Took time off of training last week, due to work and Relay for life, but I'm back to training this week. Just got a promotion at work so that will be taking up more time with more stress, but all the more reason to work out, right?

Mixed doubles tennis is starting up and it looks like I might get to play more than twice this season. Cool.

Since I have been a mother a long time, mothers day is really just another day, and I like to let my daughter have it as her day, this year, I wasn't really going to celebrate it, but my son, who we booted out of the house in Feb (long story, but working out for the best for him) insisted on coming over to go to dinner with us. That was a nice feeling that on his own he wanted to share that day with us. (warm fuzzy feelings). I keep trying to get him interested in racing.

Keep it up girls !
2007-05-17 9:37 AM

User image

Broomfield, CO
luve2bike - what a great story! Congrats on your first race - it sounds like a great experience. You know what's funny? Sometimes I get all choked up just thinking about how good it is going to feel to cross that finish line.

Heather, go for it! Sounds like you are as prepared as you can be!
2007-05-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: #804432

User image

New user
Heather - Good luck this weekend! When I have a race that I feel I'm not ready for (most of them!!), I just think about it as a day training with about a few hundred people and a day to have fun. Just go out and do what you can and have fun - I know you'll do great!!

Kaci

2007-05-17 10:15 AM
in reply to: #804101

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

[ Being the grandmother of the group, you all inspire me to keep up.

Kendra - I just had to tell you that my MIL was in town for Mother's Day and I am working on trying to talk her into doing a triathlon. I think she thought I was absolutely nuts at first, but now I have gotten an email from her saying she is looking into it and really considering it!

Z
2007-05-17 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

So I took a day of from work to ... swim, bike and run of course ;-)

I'm test riding and test running my sprint course for thi weekend race, and I already swam 1700 m this morning. My hubby is takinga a day off with me to tag along, just in case i fall of my bike ;-)

Looks like everyone is having a lovely start of the race season. I enjoy reading your reports girls. This site is grate! I was always humorous about  people making friends online, and now i'm on of them. Just look at our group, what a great bunch of ladies, mothers and athletes! And this fall one of the coolest members here Max (look him up if you have not met his yet) is coming here to Northern VA with his wife to do a Marine Corps Marathon, so we already made plans to meet for dinner!

Off biking now...

Z. 

2007-05-17 11:50 AM

Yes, I love this site. I look forward to reading up on everyone.
I agree with NOT being ready for the race. I had my first one on Sat, NOW, I have another one this Sat. AM I CRAZY? It is just that they are Sprint ones and pretty good to start with and they happen to be Back to Back. Of course, everyone thinks I am just nuts. I love it.
Yesterday morning I went and swam 500 m. I was tired. I wanted to "Try" out my New Tri suit. It felt really neat swimming in it. I am sure I felt better than I looked. So today I went out and did a Brick.... Biked 16.5 m. Then ran for 2 m. BOY is my Hiney sore. I am so used to riding in Biking Shorts. These have a little pad in them, but not alot. I normally never feel that bad after riding. Luckily, my race is only 12 m.... so maybe it will be okay.

I really don't have anything planned for a Tri after this weekend, except for one in Sept. I will probably do a few 5K's.... I will just keep on my training. Speaking of training, I have never went by anything on this site, although, I know that several folks have. I got into it with not alot of time to get ready. Now, maybe I will stick to a training plan on here, being that I will have a few months before another Tri race.

Well, off to Mow the Yard.... on to the Wife, Mom stuff for the day.

Check in later.......... --- CHRISTINE
2007-05-17 12:38 PM

OK--- I did my Race Report. You guys can read if you like.

2007-05-17 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Christine, Wow, You did an awesome job!  I can only hope to do that well on Sat.   Your times were great.  Good luck on your next race this weekend.

Heather, Good luck on the OWS Sat.  I'm going to go to the one on 6/9.  I'm going to the bike at Latta on Sun am.

Kaci, That is a good way to look at the race as a training where there will be a lot of people there.  That helps me not to be quite so nervous.

Zoya, Good luck on your race this weekend! I hope it goes well for you!

Kendra, Thanks for asking about my OWS.  It was a little scary at first.  I had swam in a lake but this was a lot different.  Kaci has given me some good tips for next time.

What does everyone eat the morning of a race?  How long before the race did you eat?

Mel 

2007-05-18 6:36 AM

User image

MotoQueen
I usually have a banana before a race and depending on how much time I have a granola bar.

Have any of you tried the Jelly Belly sport beans yet? We ried them at the last race, my sister who thought I was nuts telling her to carry them just in case, actually found them to be very helpful. She was nauseus (i can't spell) after the bike and going into the run and she opened up the beans and started munching on them one at a time and her nausea all sent away. And being little jelly beans you can eat as little or much as you need.
2007-05-18 10:44 AM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Great job, Christine! I have never tried any type of gels or jelly beans - what are some brands you can recommend? What do they do?
2007-05-18 2:03 PM

User image

MotoQueen
http://www.sportbeans.com/
Here is the link to information on the sport bean.
They are supposed to help you with energy during exercise. Give you some carbs that can help sustain you.

http://www.gusports.com/
Here is the link to GU, which is a sport gel.

http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=6677
This is a link to an articel on gels while running

I personally don't like the gels, but my husband does. I have found that I can tolerate the sport bean. So I think it really depends upon your preference as to what you use during a race. That is my beginners opinion
2007-05-18 4:04 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Hey all....how's it going?  I had some bad luck, I went for a run on Wednesday and felt a pop in my calf.....I tore my soleus muscle.  So no running for 4 weeks.  And when is my first race?  You guessed it, 4 weeks.  So I'll see how I do for a bit.  For now, I can swim and wt train.  Biking hurts a bit so I'll wait on that too.  ARGH! 

Zoya, I'm so jealous that you will meet Max!  Good luck in your race!  I'll be looking forward to your report!

Mel, Good luck to you also!  You will do GREAT!  I usually eat breakfast (soy shake with rice milk) about 2 hours or so before a race, then I use a gel before the swim.  Your race day nutrition is something that will take a little trial and error!  Just make sure you eat something that isn't upsetting to your stomach!  Like....avoid having a can of beans for breakfast

Kateri, good info from Kendra.  There are also Clif Shot Bloks.  I like those but I also use gels.  Pick up a few different kinds and try them out during some workouts to test how you will tolerate them. 

have a great weekend everyone!

2007-05-19 11:12 AM

User image

Broomfield, CO
That is awful about your injury!

Thanks for the tips on the gels, beans, and bars. I have never taken anything during training for a boost of energy. I'll have to read up on those links.

2007-05-19 1:38 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Cathy, I'm so sorry about your injury. I hope it heals up so that you can enjoy some of the season.

Who is Max?

Edited by kns57 2007-05-19 1:38 PM
Z
2007-05-19 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

Just look Max up :-), Search forums for Max and check his logs. He is one great guy.

2007-05-20 12:47 AM
in reply to: #807365

User image

New user
Cathy - so sorry about your injury! Hope you heal quickly.

About the nutrition - I use the sharkies electrolyte chews. They're like little gummy sharks, but organic and have electrolytes. I was using gu, but I was having a really bad upset stomache at mile 8 of my runs - I actually threw up on my race day at mile 10 after trying to push through it. Haven't figured out running nutrition yet. Biking and swimming I usually eat a banana or a half a sunrise bar a couple hours before the race. When deciding on nutrition - think about your race day and the temperatures. I've had bars completely melt and gu in a bottle stuck at the wrong end. I guess I don't have great luck with nutrition. LOL!

2007-05-20 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

Cathy, I am so sorry to hear about your injury.  I hope you are able to heal quickly.  I'm sure that is really frustrating for you.

I had an awesome time yesterday.  We all had a great time.  I'm really psyched for my race in June now.  I ended up placing 3rd for my age group (35-39).  I didn't even know I had won a medal (since we left before the awards ceremony) until I went to an after race party that one of my friends had last night.  I almost started crying when he handed it to me.  It was funny that he gave me the medal b/c I had kept on telling him he was going to place since he is such an excellent swimmer & really fast on the bike.  He didn't end up placing though.  I beat out my other friend.  She is in my age group and we were running together and then I sprinted out and finished before her.  I'm a faster biker than her and I think my time on the bike was faster than hers.

My dh, children & I left before the awards ceremony since they were getting antsy(my kids not my husband) and my dh was getting very grouchy.  I didn't get a chance to look at my times on the printout and they haven't posted them yet.  As soon as they post the times on their web site I'll do my race report.  I'll figure out how to post pictures on here.

Mel  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34