Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-07-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
The race looks beautiful, RICH. (I had found the link before you posted it :-)

You have your race-day nutrition all planned out? How long to you estimate each leg will take you? I imagine you practiced and sorted all of that out when you were up there, right?

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-07-06 1:26 PM

2007-07-06 4:24 PM
in reply to: #874781

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Vineman 70.3 Race Plan, Goals and Schedule
Hey Christine:

Here is the plan!

Saturday, July 21, 2007
1) Pick-up race packet
2) Set up T2
3) Swim/Ride/Run (15 minutes each - easy)
4) Hydrate all day

5:00 PM - Dinner at Mary's Pizza Shack (Pasta Dinner) plus water
8:00 PM - 1 Ensure and Bedtime
2:00 PM - 1 Ensure and back to bed
4:00 PM - Wake time
5:30 PM - Enter Transition Area
- Set up T1
- Body Markings
- Check on status of water/wetsuits.....there is question on wetsuits being legal for this race due to temp of water. Anything above 78 and wetsuits are not allowed!
7:34 PM - Wave scheduled to go off

Goals for race:
1) To get through it!
2) Swim: 45 minutes or less
3) T1: Less than 8 minutes.....there are logistics here like bagging your T1 into a transition bag for transportation back to finish line......also plan on running the bike up a small incline just outside of the transition area.
4) Bike: 3 hrs 30 minutes......first half of course is technical.
- Nutrition on the bike: 2 bottles of InfinIT Marathon Nutrition formula (Protein/Carbs)
- 3 Clif bars (small) ...... last one at least 30 minutes prior to end of bike ride.
- 2 GUs available if needed
- 4 bottles of Endurance Gatorade
(Will make at least 2 potty breaks on the bike....yes you read that right.....yuck
5) T2: Less than 2 minutes (Change socks)
6) Run: 2 hrs 45 minutes
- 2 flasks of infinIT (preset from previous day)
- Gatorade Endurance
- 2 drinks of flat coke
- (No solids......for me solids on a run does not work).
7) Overall goal is to do the complete course at less than 7 hrs.
8) Finish line photo... Arms raised above the head in triumph!

These are conservative times due to being my first 70.3 and the heat......it will be 85 to 90 degrees when I hit the later part of the bike course and the run. I'm already conditioning myself for the heat by starting bike rides and run!

So that is the plan and will stick to it! What questions might you have?

Rich

2007-07-06 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Inhale...exhale...
Okay...

I am officially getting pre-race nerves.

Gimmie all your advice.

I'm definitely going to talk with the fabulous gals around me at the start line to keep calm. What else ya got!?
2007-07-06 6:28 PM
in reply to: #875247

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Inhale...exhale...
That's right...... that is my first bit of advice....breathe!

First, remember that you will not be the only first timer out there tomorrow! There will be others with you!

Second, if you haven't created a checklist, make one up and make sure you have everything.

Third, remember to set up your transition area

Fourth, walk the ins and outs of the transitions.....where do you enter the water? where do you exit? where do you enter the T1 area? How do you go out of the Bike exit? How do you come in? How do you run out of the transition area? and how do you get to the finish line.

Fifth, remember where you placed your bike. Sooo many for get that little detail

Sixth, remember to just have FUN!!!!!!!!

You will do GREAT Barb! So enjoy, enjoy, and enjoy!

Rich......remember to breathe!
2007-07-06 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Guys,

im exhausted but have all of you in mind.Wanted to drop a quick BARB YOU CAN DO IT AND CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT IT.

if there is any advice I can give you its: SIMPLY HAVE FUN! enjoy the adrenaline, its amazing, just enjoy the swim focus on your breathing and your rhythm and just breezxe though it, dont tjhink about time or gogles falling, just you the water, your bike, the run....enjoy the race.

send you love and will be thinkinga bout you while i have my 2 hr bike ride tomorrow.

ROCK ON!!!
2007-07-07 1:03 PM
in reply to: #875353

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey folks! Rich - great to see your plan for your race! It really helps a lot in thinking about the preps for our next races....glad to hear your training has gone well.  Can't wait to see how you do!

Barb, you're going to do so well in your race.  Just remember that this is supposed to be FUN!! Enjoy the moment and run your race.  Can't wait to see your report when you're done!

I had a totally crazy week and lost three full days of training early.  At least I ended the week well.  I had a really great ride this morning - fastest on that particular route.  It helps that we finally saw some sunshine ("Lo! What is that bright orb in the sky?" and there was almost no wind.  I'm hoping for a far more normal week next week - whatever that is!

How is everyone else holding up?  I've lost track of when everyone is racing next, other than Barb and Rich....what's on the calendar, folks?

PS - If you're wondering about the avatar change, I'm participating in the Tour de France bike challenge on BT.  This is my team's avatar - Team Credite Agricole. Don't ask why we ended up with cheese - it's a long story....

2007-07-07 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: Can't wait to hear from Barb
Taking a few minutes out from working around the new house to read the latest...can't wait to hear from Barb!

RICH -- That looks like a well thought out plan. I hope the fates align with your good planning and you have a wonderful time! I bet with distances like that, the happiest part is finishing.

Not to be a bother, but what do you think your caloric intake is pre-race? During the race? You probably know exactly. :-)

I imagine you train using those fuels as well, correct? (So you know how they work for race day.)

Is it a challenge with diabetes to take in enough to sustain that level of energy output? Do you have obvious warning signs if you are having a blood sugar problem? (I do; but my endocrynologist (sp?)warned me that in time those "signals" could fade, change or disappear all together -- making it more essential to eat well and often, and not rely on "how you feel".) You throw in the possibility of dehydration, and you have to be an expert to keep up!

Just ONE more hurdle that makes the journey interesting and the victory sweeter, right?!?
2007-07-08 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Guess who's a triathlete!!!!!!!!

That was an absolute blast...and I am TOTALLY HOOKED on the wonderful world of triathlons. I posted my BT race report already. I imagine I'll do one on my blog later this evening. Here are the quick and dirty stats!!

Overall Rank 2886 of 3919
Class Rank 315 of 363
Swim 00:19:38
Swim Rank 2323
Trans1 00:05:35
Bike 00:58:59
Bike Rank 3248
MPH 13.2
Trans2 00:04:20
Run 00:38:43
Run Rank 2494
Pace 00:12:29
Final 02:07:17

I'm quite surprised with the swim AND the bike times. Clearly, the transitions are my downfall...

2007-07-08 6:30 PM
in reply to: #876469

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Barb....You ARE a triathlete!!!!
Hey Barb!

Great Job on your first triathlon! You are a Triathete!!!! CONGRATULATIONS! What was the most fun or aspect of doing your first triathlon? AWESOME JOB...... Barb!!!!

Rich
2007-07-08 6:40 PM

User image

Regular
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been posting, been kinda busy.

Great job Barb!!! you did awesome and I'm glad you enjoyed it the same way we enjoyed our first tri. Congratulations!!

Don't worry about the transitions, I think you will get better once you gain more experience and do more tri's.

On another note, congratulations to all you guys who have manged to lose weight and body fat %. That is one of my issues right now. My body fat % is at 13.6% according our coach that measured it last week. However, I have been gaining weight ever since I started my tri training.

Before I began training for my tri I used to be at around 160-163 lbs but wanted to be at an ideal 155 and 11-12% but since I added swimming and cycling to my workouts, (bearing in mind that I have been running consistently for the past 2 years) I have gained weight and I am now at around 170 -171 lbs. So I would appreciate any tips from you guys, hehehehe, specially Rich.

Hope you guys had a pleasant Sunday and have a great week.

FR

2007-07-08 11:01 PM
in reply to: #876551

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Felipe! Welcome back! CARU was telling us you were racing in the last week! Hope it went well!

In response to your question, let me suggest that you write down everything you eat for the next week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks (including time of day that you eat). Let me look at your diary and see if there is anything I can spot that might cause the weight gain....... include your workouts (workout type (bike, run, swim and/or weights) with the workout duration.

Don't know if you have been going to any fast food places more frequently, but that also could have resulted in some fat % gain.

It is probably just a minor adjustment that needs to be made!

Rich

2007-07-08 11:57 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Thanks so much you guys!!

It's so weird being done with my first tri. But I know what adjustments I need to make and all that jazz.

I posted an extended report on my Running Jayhawk blog (http://runningjayhawk.blogspot.com) along with a bunch of photos.

I can't wait until Harbor Lights in 2 weeks!!

I'm a little sad that it's over though!
2007-07-09 1:00 AM
in reply to: #876807

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Barb:

GREAT Blog! You make me laugh girl! And what a GREAT husband to keep you motivated! Loved his T-Shirt and loved the one he got you! Sounds like you had a good time!

As far as the racer that moved your stuff....let it go! Just let it go! That was totally uncool, but let it go!

Rich
2007-07-09 6:25 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Yay Barb!! You rock! I'm living vicariously through you as I think about my first tri coming up in August. You seemed to have everything thought out well, and that is something that I still need to do.

Thanks too, Rich, sor your race plan. Again, it illustrates the importance of proper planning.

As someone encountering their first tri (a sprint) next month, what times should we be expected to pull for our transitions? What is the greatest time killer? Time saver?

Hope you all had a great weekend! I got some good brick work in, and am happy to report that because of that continuous work, my jello legs after the bike are almost non-existant now. So cool!

Take care folks!
2007-07-09 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
WAY TO GO BARB!!! You did TERRIFIC! Congrats! You are probably either over the moon this morning or worn out. Let us know which. ;-)

My bro, John, and I did an hour of OWS at the clinic yesterday. I did not wear a wetsuit (first time in OWS) and did fine -- in fact, I was PASSING people. (First time I did this clinic back in May I was only being passed.) John had a bit of an issue putting his face in the water and swimming freestyle, but he got over it after the first 1/2 mile loop and settled down his breathing.

Our post-swim bike ride got cut short by a flat that I wasn't prepared for. We did the run course and it was wicked hot and humid; so we walked most of the way back.

RICH, Later that day, I was kneeling and went to stand up and got quite dizzy. (This happened a few times.) Could this be from dehydration? (I was covered with salt when I hit the shower and not sure if I drank enough during or after.)
2007-07-09 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

HOORAY, BARB!!! YOU DID IT!!! Congratulations on a great race....so glad you're as hooked as the rest of us!

Cris - whoa, girl - you gotta be careful with that stuff.  No passing out on us after a workout.  I've felt a bit shaky a time or two after a really intense bike/run, and it's usually been lack of fluids. Rich probably knows more about it than I do, but I would think that you didn't drink nearly enough!

Felipe - that weight gain can be frustrating! I totally sympathize - I've been struggling with my weight for years! Could it be that you're adding muscle mass rather than fat? I mean, you are working out a lot more these days. Just wondering....

I'm hoping for a more normal and predictable schedule this week  I'm also getting back on the weight training bandwagon - I totally missed all of my resistance training last week. I have a feeling I'll be paying for that in sore muscles! I'm sort of starting the cycle over a little bit, since I've come down off of my peak for my last race and I've got about eight weeks until I need to peak for my next one.  I'll be working the BT oly plan until then.

So what's on tap for everyone else?

2007-07-09 10:46 AM
in reply to: #876856

User image

Expert
Chicago
aduncan42 - 2007-07-09 6:25 AM
As someone encountering their first tri (a sprint) next month, what times should we be expected to pull for our transitions? What is the greatest time killer? Time saver?

I had anticipated taking around 3:30 in each transition...which clearly was an underestimate. Had there NOT been 4000 bikes, it would've been a lot easier to make my way through T1 and T2 and I would've saved time.

If you're wearing your hair in a ponytail and pull it through the hole in the back of your helmet, before the swim be sure you've got your ponytail positioned right. I didn't do that and it was part of the reason why the plastic part popped out from the inside of my helmet. I lost at least a minute or so getting all this fixed and comfortable.

My goal for Harbor Lights Tri in 2 weeks is to get around 3:00 in T1 and 2:30 in T2, which hopefully won't be difficult as there are only 800 athletes participating.

Thanks so much for all the kudos, you guys!! I am still beaming and cannot wait until my next tri!!
2007-07-09 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hey, I'm cleaning out my email and ran across this. Thought you may find it interesting. It may be an extra incentive to lay off the pop, too!

P.S. Rich, what is the purpose for drinking flat coke during the race? To settle the stomach or for sugar?

------

WATER

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half the world population.)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

#4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a ! printed page.

#8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should drink every day?

COKE

#1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

#2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

#4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

#5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

#6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake.

Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
(okay, one redeeming coca-cola benefit besides the taste)

#8... To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

#1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.
It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean engines of the trucks for about 20 years.

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water?

or Coke?
2007-07-09 4:15 PM
in reply to: #876881

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine:

You wrote: RICH, Later that day, I was kneeling and went to stand up and got quite dizzy. (This happened a few times.) Could this be from dehydration? (I was covered with salt when I hit the shower and not sure if I drank enough during or after.)

Could be one of two possible things:

1) Dehydration

2) Low blood sugar......after an intense workout or race, I can have trouble maintaining blood sugar levels.

Did you eat anything after the race? Did you monitor your blood sugar? Were you re-hydrating after the race?

You're heading into a "post-nutrition plan" which we have not spent a lot of time on!

Rich
2007-07-09 5:17 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Rich, I have a 25K run this weekend.  (It begins at 12:01 AM) They will have aid stations along the run with water and something called NUUN (it's sugarless too).  Should I bring something else to drink for the run?  I have a hydration belt I can wear with other drink options.  When I ran the 1/2 marathon in Feb, water was fine, but it's July in Texas and incredibly hot and humid outside.  I saw on your nutrition plan that you drink Ensure.  What's it do for the body? 

Thanks Rich!  Oh Wise One!

2007-07-09 6:30 PM
in reply to: #878090

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Angela:

Ensure is a meal replacement.....the body can absorb up to 300 calories....anything else will just go to fat. With the Ensure, I am increasing the ready / available glycogen in body. When one uses up the glycogen in the body, the body just says "I'm done for the day". The other word for it is "bonking".

I would think about bringing something else that you have used before.... you never want to try something new during a race.... so use something that you have used before in your endurance training.

Someone asked... how much do I consume..... the body can consume/absorb approximately 300 calories per hour. I try to keep pretty close to consuming that amount in an hour. On the bike, I can eat solids......30 minutes before the end of the bike ride, I stop eating solids........ I consume nothing but liquids through the end of the race.

Hope this helps.... ask more questions!

Rich

2007-07-10 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I had some water, a diet coke and maybe 2 cups of cheese ravioli with marinara sauce when I got home about 20 minutes after we finished the run.

It didn't FEEL like a blood sugar problem (usually by the time I am feeling light headed, I have also felt shaky, weak and if I let it go too far, a little disoriented or cranky). But something clearly was off for the rest of the afternoon and I had that sensation 3 or 4 times.

Can hydration issues effect blood pressure? I have heard people describe low blood pressure and it seemed a bit like that.

So what's good post-workout nutrition? Post race?
2007-07-10 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
ANGELA -- You're doing what?!? If I read that right you are running 25K in the middle of the night??? Is the heat getting to you guys down there?

For the record, we were at 102F yesterday with 82% humidity -- more of the same today. Fun. Needless to say, I did yoga and core strenthening INSIDE in the A/C.

Tonight John and I are going to the Y. My bike is in the shop until Saturday, so I guess I will run AM Wed, run PM Thurs (heat wave should break by then), swim AM Fri.
2007-07-10 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Guys!
Sorry I'be been neglecting our thread. I'm in my books all day! yeah fun times.... i have been training hard though, I need it more than ever now since I feel stressed.

ANyways, CONGRATS BARB!!! I will read your race report in a bit! I am so proud of you! yes you are hooked!!! hahah, like the rest of us.
I've been trying to avoid triathlon talk and read, otherwise i will grab my bike and not ocme back to the books!!!!

I haven't read whats going on, I know theres the 25 midnight nrace, that sounds awesome, rich yourm BIG A race, and Im not sure if Cris or kat have anything coming? Andi yours is in August. What happened to Derek??

Felipe and I have a race on the 5th of August, that will be good times! seems like all of us are progressing exponentially!

I am interested in post race/exercise nutrition.. lately after 2 hour bike rides of spinning I am nor hungry at all.. in fact the thought of eating makes me dizzy? what could it be?

Ok guys, send yuou love gotta go! take care and will drop by soon. I AM SOOO PROUD OF ALL of you!!! I love you all!

c
2007-07-10 12:02 PM
in reply to: #878090

User image

Expert
Chicago
yoblondie - 2007-07-09 5:17 PM

Rich, I have a 25K run this weekend.  (It begins at 12:01 AM) They will have aid stations along the run with water and something called NUUN (it's sugarless too).  Should I bring something else to drink for the run?  I have a hydration belt I can wear with other drink options.  When I ran the 1/2 marathon in Feb, water was fine, but it's July in Texas and incredibly hot and humid outside.  I saw on your nutrition plan that you drink Ensure.  What's it do for the body? 

Thanks Rich!  Oh Wise One!

If you haven't been training with NUUN, you may want to carry your own drink. I've had it a few times and like it. It's not thick and overly-sugary like gatorade/powerade. They're actually sold in alka-seltzer-like tables that you drop into your water bottle (at an aid station I imagine they'd have a powder mix, though I've never seen it).

I'm not a big fan of taking this mid-race as my preference is gatorade, but I do use it for hydration the day before a race. Most of the flavors are tasty and I really enjoy how light it is. Plus I can bring a tablet or two with me to work and drop it into my water bottle (no need to premix and let it sit for hours or anything like that).

I have heard of folks chewing tablets directly on the course, treating it like an e-tab. I haven't tried this yet, but you will foam a bit at the mouth upon chewing (hah!).

I've got some samples I can send to you in the mail if you like, though I'm not sure you'll get it in time.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46