BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 220

2011-01-12 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2558074

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - CLOSED!

Tif and I were talking yesterday and the idea of investing in a power tap came up...of course we are looking for a good deal on one.  But that also brings up the question how much power should I be generating and still be efficient?  We have a friend who has a power tap and has offered to work with us on adjusting our areo setup so we are generating the max. amount of power efficiently and that sounds good to me....I just want to know how much I should be putting out.

2011-01-12 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3294187

User image

Expert
hippotude - 2011-01-12 8:14 AM

Tif and I were talking yesterday and the idea of investing in a power tap came up...of course we are looking for a good deal on one.  But that also brings up the question how much power should I be generating and still be efficient?  We have a friend who has a power tap and has offered to work with us on adjusting our areo setup so we are generating the max. amount of power efficiently and that sounds good to me....I just want to know how much I should be putting out.

Send KenOtt a PM, I know he is very happy with is power tab and he got a very deal from an on-line company. trin2bfast also dealt with the same company.
2011-01-12 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
got a couple of minutes for a quick laugh?

http://tinyurl.com/yullgetachuckl
2011-01-12 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3294536

User image

Payson, AZ
golfpro - 2011-01-12 9:06 AM got a couple of minutes for a quick laugh?

http://tinyurl.com/yullgetachuckle

Fixed your link for you.  Missing an e.  You know, there will be a triathlon when I am in New Zealand, and apperently Lance will be racing it.  I just kept my mouth shut and am trying to push all thoughts from my head.  That story makes it easier. 

ETA: Stupid link.  Now it is throwing a quote in there that is not there.  I need more coffee.  Or maybe a beer

Edited by bzgl40 2011-01-12 10:16 AM
2011-01-12 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3294575

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
bzgl40 - 2011-01-11 11:14 AM golfpro - 2011-01-12 9:06 AM got a couple of minutes for a quick laugh?

http://tinyurl.com/yullgetachuckle

Fixed your link for you.  Missing an e.  You know, there will be a triathlon when I am in New Zealand, and apperently Lance will be racing it.  I just kept my mouth shut and am trying to push all thoughts from my head.  That story makes it easier. 

thanks! - ha,ha, -  
2011-01-12 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

PowerTap

Here is the link to the PT wheel. Its a full set up so you get the computer and cables just no HR strap.

I may be in the need of that one because I think my PT wheel has crapped the bed. I did a test last night and it wasnt pretty. I can say 3 months of non biking will do that but I did a 20 min test at 170w and 5 min at 215. Gave me a FTP of 155 and a 1.66 Watts / Kg. That was all done on the trainer. So with some weight loss and actually getting my butte in the saddle and HTFU I can see some big improvments this year.

I wouldnt worry too much of where you are at but use it as a tool to get better and be able to have better pacing for the HIM. Race it with a disc cover and it is good to go.

2011-01-13 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston

I purchased the wired version about 1 year ago from: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=1 they seemed to have the best price around.  I will say the display flakes out on occassion which can be frustrating.  I know most people with the wired version have the same issue if not down altogether needing a new harness, battery or shark fin (pick up for the reading).  When it's working correctly (for me about 90%) I think the information can't be beaten.  Who cares how fast you are going?  What really matters is your power as compared to what you have left.  Hills and wind are taken out of the equation since you are sticking to a power goal you know you can meet and still run.  You want to go as hard as you possibly can and still be able to run - get a PT.  The key is setting a conservative power goal and nailing it for the race.  I have a cover for the rear wheel for race day and I should have a Sram S-80 for the front this year.

Get the wireless if you can swing it - more reliable and prettier on your bike.

If you a "perceived effort machine" like Justin Phillips don't bother spending the money.  He can generally tell me how much power I am pulling within 10W if we are riding next to each other based on his effort.

YOUR power number depends on you (weight, aero position, and strength) 300-310W is awesome for me.  Those that are lighter are awesome with a lower number.  I hope to be riding 220-230W for the HIM effortlessly (got a ways to go yet).
2011-01-13 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3297711

User image

Expert
Kenott - 2011-01-13 1:58 PM

I purchased the wired version about 1 year ago from: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=1 they seemed to have the best price around.  I will say the display flakes out on occassion which can be frustrating.  I know most people with the wired version have the same issue if not down altogether needing a new harness, battery or shark fin (pick up for the reading).  When it's working correctly (for me about 90%) I think the information can't be beaten.  Who cares how fast you are going?  What really matters is your power as compared to what you have left.  Hills and wind are taken out of the equation since you are sticking to a power goal you know you can meet and still run.  You want to go as hard as you possibly can and still be able to run - get a PT.  The key is setting a conservative power goal and nailing it for the race.  I have a cover for the rear wheel for race day and I should have a Sram S-80 for the front this year.

Get the wireless if you can swing it - more reliable and prettier on your bike.

If you a "perceived effort machine" like Justin Phillips don't bother spending the money.  He can generally tell me how much power I am pulling within 10W if we are riding next to each other based on his effort.

YOUR power number depends on you (weight, aero position, and strength) 300-310W is awesome for me.  Those that are lighter are awesome with a lower number.  I hope to be riding 220-230W for the HIM effortlessly (got a ways to go yet).

If you are referring to my perceived effort(s) as hurting and really hurting, then yes, I guess I'm a machine, I can differentiate between the two 
2011-01-13 4:50 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Tiff, weren't you talking last season about wanting new bikes?  Do you need new bikes or want new bikes?  Cause if I was needing a new bike I would buy that before Power.  Plus I do believe there are some exciting new changes coming to the power world that will get you power for cheaper, and probably more reliable.  At least that appears the direction it is moving in.  If I had nothing left to buy I wouldn't wait on it of course. 
2011-01-14 7:52 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
A few more hours and I am home free.  No more silly pager to ruin my week. 
2011-01-14 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3298192

Extreme Veteran
You just had to ask the economics teacher if she needed or wanted a new bike...

I really want a new bike...but it will soon become more of a need, since this triathlon thing is apparently sticking around for me. I have an entry-level aluminum road bike I purchased without even the slightest thought I would ever get into triathlon. Unfortunately, I'm learning from the lessons I teach, and am on a pretty strict budget that will not have a bike on the horizon for at least another year. It's depressing, but I'm trying to make the most of it.

Really, the power discussion only came up when a friend offered to let us use his to maximize our position, etc. If  there's a really good deal out there for something, I'd be interested in pulling the trigger, but it's not something that's on the top of the list unless it really is a good deal.

bzgl40 - 2011-01-13 4:50 PM Tiff, weren't you talking last season about wanting new bikes?  Do you need new bikes or want new bikes?  Cause if I was needing a new bike I would buy that before Power.  Plus I do believe there are some exciting new changes coming to the power world that will get you power for cheaper, and probably more reliable.  At least that appears the direction it is moving in.  If I had nothing left to buy I wouldn't wait on it of course. 

2011-01-14 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3299011

Extreme Veteran
Yay! I can't imagine the hassle...although I'm thinking about telling Nik to turn off the business phone this weekend until Monday. I'm ready to have an actual weekend...training and sleeping...doing lots of both!

bzgl40 - 2011-01-14 7:52 AM A few more hours and I am home free.  No more silly pager to ruin my week. 
2011-01-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3299052

User image

Veteran
I will agree to that!  I am ready for a weekend too!

roadrhino - 2011-01-14 8:07 AM Yay! I can't imagine the hassle...although I'm thinking about telling Nik to turn off the business phone this weekend until Monday. I'm ready to have an actual weekend...training and sleeping...doing lots of both!

bzgl40 - 2011-01-14 7:52 AM A few more hours and I am home free.  No more silly pager to ruin my week. 
2011-01-14 9:45 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
so, after a month of no swimming my pool is suppose to open Monday.  What does everyone thing about my plan to ignore my plan in regards to swim until I come back from vacation and instead just swim every day for 30 minutes (everyday is just M-F) and then when I come back get back into the real plan?  I am not sure how much swimming I'll get in while in New Zealand so I am potentially looking at another 9 day layoff really soon.  I wasn't going to worry about speed or anything of the sort, just form. 
2011-01-14 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3299296

User image

Expert
bzgl40 - 2011-01-14 9:45 AM so, after a month of no swimming my pool is suppose to open Monday.  What does everyone thing about my plan to ignore my plan in regards to swim until I come back from vacation and instead just swim every day for 30 minutes (everyday is just M-F) and then when I come back get back into the real plan?  I am not sure how much swimming I'll get in while in New Zealand so I am potentially looking at another 9 day layoff really soon.  I wasn't going to worry about speed or anything of the sort, just form. 
2011-01-14 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3299296

User image

Expert
bzgl40 - 2011-01-14 9:45 AM so, after a month of no swimming my pool is suppose to open Monday.  What does everyone thing about my plan to ignore my plan in regards to swim until I come back from vacation and instead just swim every day for 30 minutes (everyday is just M-F) and then when I come back get back into the real plan?  I am not sure how much swimming I'll get in while in New Zealand so I am potentially looking at another 9 day layoff really soon.  I wasn't going to worry about speed or anything of the sort, just form. 

I think you should be fine.... The one good thing about the swim is that you can increase volume pretty aggressively with out the potential risk of injury. Take the week to just work on your form and when you come back from NZL start up again with the plan.

Edited by Houstonrider 2011-01-14 2:27 PM

2011-01-17 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3300121

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
x 2 on that.

Houstonrider - 2011-01-14 2:24 PM

I think you should be fine.... The one good thing about the swim is that you can increase volume pretty aggressively with out the potential risk of injury. Take the week to just work on your form and when you come back from NZL start up again with the plan.
2011-01-17 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
So yesterday after swim I stopped into 7-11 to get a drink. There was a lady in there that had a flat and was a little frantic so I offered to change it. She had a 350z, oh they are so pretty. The 2 back tires on her car were down past the metal. I cannot fathom she had any traction on those things. I dont knnow how the tire was even together still. I have never even seen tires wore that much in my life. I told he to get to a tire place asap. They could have been over inflated because the middles were wore out to about 2" past the outer parts. Nice lady just never had to take care of a car on her own. You can bet that when my daughter get to drive she will know how to change a tire and at least the basics.
2011-01-17 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3304375

User image

Payson, AZ
Newtons1st - 2011-01-17 11:10 AM So yesterday after swim I stopped into 7-11 to get a drink. There was a lady in there that had a flat and was a little frantic so I offered to change it. She had a 350z, oh they are so pretty. The 2 back tires on her car were down past the metal. I cannot fathom she had any traction on those things. I dont knnow how the tire was even together still. I have never even seen tires wore that much in my life. I told he to get to a tire place asap. They could have been over inflated because the middles were wore out to about 2" past the outer parts. Nice lady just never had to take care of a car on her own. You can bet that when my daughter get to drive she will know how to change a tire and at least the basics.

All girls know how to change a tire dude.  Your exhibit number 1.  lol  I'm only kinda kidding.  You should for sure make sure she knows at least the basics.  But I know how to change my tire and I still am more then willing to step back and let the guys change it.  There's just something in men that makes them what to do that for some reason, be it vehicle or bike.  It doesn't even matter if they are interested in the girl.
2011-01-17 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3304413

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston

RANT: Am I the only person who is a bit offended by the non-essential nakedness in the gym changing room?  I had the hardest pool swim in my life on Sunday and nearly puked in the pool towards the end.  Once completed I quickly head towards the changing room because I know Keri is waiting on me.  I turn the corner and BAM 300+ lbs of nakedness just "hanging out" in the middle of the aisle.  UUGHH!  Dry off and get your dang clothes back on dude before I toss my cookies!

2011-01-17 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3304952

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Kenott - 2011-01-17 5:18 PM

RANT: Am I the only person who is a bit offended by the non-essential nakedness in the gym changing room?  I had the hardest pool swim in my life on Sunday and nearly puked in the pool towards the end.  Once completed I quickly head towards the changing room because I know Keri is waiting on me.  I turn the corner and BAM 300+ lbs of nakedness just "hanging out" in the middle of the aisle.  UUGHH!  Dry off and get your dang clothes back on dude before I toss my cookies!

Naked in the locker room doesn't usually bother me... but if you're naked and talking to me while lotioning your entire body for example, THAT goes a bit too far.

I'm naked frequently when changing, but never for longer than I need to be and I certainly dont make eye contact while I am.

2011-01-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3304952

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
uhh Keri I really think you might be breaking some rules being in there but I guess when there are so many kids at the house couples find ways...

Ken at least you didnt "bump" into him.

Kenott - 2011-01-17 4:18 PM

2011-01-17 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3304967

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Or we have found a new way to get Ken to get in his swims

Newtons1st - 2011-01-17 4:24 PM uhh Keri I really think you might be breaking some rules being in there but I guess when there are so many kids at the house couples find ways...

Ken at least you didnt "bump" into him.

Kenott - 2011-01-17 4:18 PM

2011-01-17 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3304962

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
So is that what goes on in the girls locker rooms. I KNEW IT!!

Oh where is Justin when you need him. We need some ODB comments.

Nicole83 - 2011-01-17 4:23 PM

Naked in the locker room doesn't usually bother me... but if you're naked and talking to me while lotioning your entire body for example, THAT goes a bit too far.

QUOTE]
2011-01-17 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3304962

User image

Payson, AZ
Nicole83 - 2011-01-17 3:23 PM Naked in the locker room doesn't usually bother me... but if you're naked and talking to me while lotioning your entire body for example, THAT goes a bit too far.

I'm naked frequently when changing, but never for longer than I need to be and I certainly dont make eye contact while I am.

What if instead that person was lotioning your entire body?!?!?!?  Just some random thoughts in my mind.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 220