BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 240

2012-01-18 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1137328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!

Wow, I feel like I just walked into a conversation and can't seem to follow everyone.

Hi... I am one of the new people to the group.  I live in GA and is currently trying to sell my house so that we can move to SC.  I have done 2 sprints, 2 olympics and 1 HIM triathlons, and too many 5k, 10k and half marathons in my lifetime.  Currently I am training for another marathon (I have been known to fall apart during the race) in February.  This weekend is my 20 mile training run.

I am seriously thinking of doing a full IM this year as I found one that is still open and I don't think I can wait another year.  Will make that decision after the marathon.

Would love to go to AZ to cheer you all on!

It sounds like we are needing to post our activities in the training log, is that correct?  Me bad, I haven't been doing that. 

Oh, and I am 42 years old, married with 1 dog.  I work for a company that provides products to financial institutions so I do travel quite a bit.  After my HIM my husband who does not run decided to start training for his 1st half marathon in March.

2012-01-18 1:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!
One piece of info for the new folks - Marianne (MAV) is our resident colorist. Please consult with her on anything of color - Tri shorts, bikes, shoes, sox, etc - and she will render a speed assessment of the color.

Susie gets and award for reading at least 15 archived pages - some haven't read that many that have been here years - you know who you are.

Swim little fishes swim - it will click - I think I can I think I can. Remember one more stroke at the end of your last lap. Go!!!
2012-01-18 2:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Some more from the old site...

krazytallchick

Posted 2012-01-16 5:11 PM (#3993649 - in reply to #3993459)
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

Way to go Monte!  It does sound like you got a good bike.

I agree, practice clipping in and out because you will fall.  And remember no matter how long you have been riding there will be a time you forget to clip out and will fall.

Thank you for all the great information!  

dnoble

Posted 2012-01-17 12:36 PM (#3995234 - in reply to #3965644)

Veteran

Silver member
My blasted foot just won't recover and it's starting to tick me off in a major way.  I went for a 4 mile run about 6 weeks ago when I wasn't really feeling the love if you know what I mean.  The bod felt tired and tight but I went anyway, because if you wait till you feel good you'll never go, right?  Turned out to be a freaking disaster.  My legs never loosened up and I never got my stride going and I think that is the run where I hurt my foot.  It still aches and I'm afraid that I might have really hurt it.  I went for a short bike ride on a freakishly warm day last week and even that made it hurt afterwards.  Arrrgghhh!  What makes it even more annoying is that I did this to myself during my "downtime". 

Not much anyone can tell me execpt to go to a Dr.  I guess I'm just venting a bit at not being able to start my training and explaining why I'm not posting any workouts.  Grrr, I wanted to get going at Jan 1 and it's not happening so I'm a bit riled.  Can you tell I don't have tons of patience?  Hopefully everyone is working their program and making progress!

-----
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

Suzie Weathermon

Posted 2012-01-17 12:52 PM (#3995274 - in reply to #3965644)

DNoble - I hear you saying everyone tells you to go to a doctor...maybe for the last 4 weeks even, but I gather you haven't gone...? (Just sayin) I have a husbanad who won't go to the doctor until the morning he cant get out of bed, which makes the logistics a lot harder for the rest of us.  His will is stronger than his body I guess. 

The only other thing I think there is to say is how old are your shoes and did they fit right when you got them?

-----
Suzie

dnoble

Posted 2012-01-17 1:42 PM (#3995426 - in reply to #3965644)

Veteran

Silver member
Yes, I'm one of those stubborn male types, I admit it.  And no I haven't gone to the Doc.  He will want xrays, at least, and he'll want to give me a physical too.  And we all know where that leads, nope, not going.  At least for now.  Stubborn male stereotype confirmed....

My shoes are relatively new, only about a hundred miles on them or so.  I was planning on replacing them in the spring when they get up to around 200.  By then they will actually have some age in addition to miles working against them so out they will go.  But they are not as wide as I would like and was going to buy the same shoe but in a wider width.  I honestly hadn't thought that shoe fit might have been the problem, I was blaming my bad stride.  Maybe it was both and I should get new shoes now....  Thanks for the response, I really wasn't thinking about it that way.

-----
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

krazytallchick

Posted 2012-01-17 4:15 PM (#3995862 - in reply to #3995426)

dnoble, I used to live in St. Louis....go to Fleet Feet and they will take great care of you.  Shoes really do matter.  I can always tell when I need to get new shoes as my stress fracture starts bothering me years after it has healed.  

2012-01-18 2:13 PM

User image

Richmond Hill

My training log is up to date for all to laugh and jeer at.  Only goes back to mid-April last year. Previous data is in Garmin Connect. I'm a data and gadget junkie - wish my skills were commensurate with my toys!

Rick - That ride looks awesome! Best wishes on your recovery.

Monte - I like the bike - YELLOW is my color also!.  Forget the comment about upgrading later - you won't need to unless you wear something out with all those miles you'll be putting on it.

Marianne - What are you hearing about the HITS Series? I originally was going to do the Oly in Ocala, but don't think I'll be ready - too much sandbagging in November & December.

OK - time to run - I mean leave - so I can go to Fleet Feet - so I can run.

Thanks,

Robbie

2012-01-18 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Okay, I think I am caught up now as I read all the post from 2008, bits and pieces from those in 2009 and 2010 and somehow I just realized I forget to read up on those that joined the group in 2011.  Sorry will have to go back.

Mav - loved you training goal - not to throw up after a race.  I laughed out loud when I read that as I was told one that you didn't go out hard enough if you didn't throw up.  Doesn't sound like something I want to do.

I have entered my training info from Training Peaks into the log.  I just did it for the month of January.

I am really looking forward to getting to know all of you and learning from you.  

Today is a rest day for me and it probably a good thing as I can't seem to raise my arm above my shoulder.  It seems I worked the upper body harder then what I thought the other day.

2012-01-18 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3997871

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

I've been logging training since Jan 1'st.  I'm comfortable with the swimming and running, but not with the bike.  I took over an hour to ride 14 miles on the stationary bike today.  Is that pretty acurate in regards to a ride on the road? It was one of the expresso stationary bikes that have hills, but I barely averaged 13 mph.  Can't imagine doing 112 miles at that pace.  I'd be out there all day.

Also, how often do you replace your running shoes?  I generally do it every 500 miles, ( although they still look pretty good at that point) but I'm wondering if that is too long. 

Kathy - Good luck on the 20 mile run.  Hope your not up here in the north.  Brrr.

John

2012-01-18 5:48 PM

Uxbridge

http://sweatscience.com/the-incredible-unaging-triathlete/

My coach sent me this article today...it reinforces why we must do this sport!!!!

2012-01-18 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3997871

Uxbridge
krazytallchick - 2012-01-18 3:50 PM

Mav - loved you training goal - not to throw up after a race.  I laughed out loud when I read that as I was told one that you didn't go out hard enough if you didn't throw up.  Doesn't sound like something I want to do.

I only have 2 goals every race 1. Not to throw up and 2. Not to finish last...So far so good on all fronts!!!!

If you are planning on moving to the Carolinas you might want to consider Beach to Battleship IM. Its not an ironman branded race but my understanding is that its a great race. I think Billy and Gary did this as a relay....feel free to chime in here guys

2012-01-18 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3998036

Uxbridge
irishod - 2012-01-18 5:00 PM

I've been logging training since Jan 1'st.  I'm comfortable with the swimming and running, but not with the bike.  I took over an hour to ride 14 miles on the stationary bike today.  Is that pretty acurate in regards to a ride on the road? It was one of the expresso stationary bikes that have hills, but I barely averaged 13 mph.  Can't imagine doing 112 miles at that pace.  I'd be out there all day.

Also, how often do you replace your running shoes?  I generally do it every 500 miles, ( although they still look pretty good at that point) but I'm wondering if that is too long. 

Kathy - Good luck on the 20 mile run.  Hope your not up here in the north.  Brrr.

John

It takes a while to build speed on the bike. The expresso bike is not an accurate indicator of your speed, but it will help you train. The more you bike, the faster you will bike...also known on BT as T.I.T.S Time  In The Saddle. Nothing replaces time on the road with your bike. The next best method is get a bike trainer ( Blackburn, cyclops) and ride inside. Do lots of interval work. There is a plan on BT called Jorge's winter training plan. You will get faster if you do that plan. Next best is gym bikes/spin bikes. In the longer HIM/IM races it is all about the bike IMO!!!!

I replace my running shoes every 250 miles. I am very prone to knee injury so I really do adhere to that rule. I write the date on the instep and I keep track of my mileage in my training log. Its pricey but if it keeps me running its worth it!!!

2012-01-18 6:03 PM

Uxbridge
Robbie I actuallly heard from a few people that the HIT series is a good race. I read the info and it looks great. I am also planning on doing a half Marathon in March and havent quite figured out how I am going to do it. Swimming anywhere in a Florida Lake scares me a bit!!!!
2012-01-18 10:05 PM

User image

Expert

I made a post earlier but it didn't show up, makes me mad, I had made some really funny snide remarks and now can't remember them.  Dang!

Oh yea, I think I said how excited I was about all the new people.  Makes it fun to read the posts and also inspires me to trainer hard again.  Thank you.

Yes, the quarterback and I did the B2B as a relay.  Let me tell you about a brutal marathon.  That thing was horrible, but I think I am the only one in the world that feels that way.  Everyone else loves it.

I am doing everything I can to improve my bike during the offseason in order to finish IMKY in under 13 hours.  That means spending a lot of time on the trainer.  Not just time, but quality time.  Hired a local coach as well!

Has anyone seen my little Ruskie?  I really miss her!

2012-01-18 11:39 PM

User image

New user

Billy:  Thanks for the reminder.  Have loaded up all the Garmin data.  There isn't a lot there from the last 6 to 7 weeks due back issues, but should be more frequent from now. 

Does anyone on the the forum also use Strava?  Living in Hong Kong I find it useful to keep track of what friends are doing around the world.  Facebook for Athletes!  Smile

2012-01-19 9:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
Rick - what is strava?

I think from reading the recent posts there are a couple of things to reinforce.
1. Running shoes are worn out (and can cause injury) before they shoes actual wear signs. The padding is compressed with every step. Imagine a weight 7 times your body weight crashing on that sole 800-1000 times per mile. You need to have a pro fit you at a running store. After 250-300 miles or so most people replace them. Me - at the first sign of leg or lower back pain - they are gone. I also always have two pair going at least - I rotate every run. Initially it costs a bit more but then the costs are the same. I ask for running shoes every Christmas and birthday. They seem to last a bit longer as the foam has more time to decompress. NEVER put your running shoes in a washer or dryer. The dirt and muck proves you are an ANIMAL. Blood scores you extra cool points.

Second - the way to be better in all things bike - do more bike. Period. Trainer, spin, long rides, intervals, hill repeats, etc. here's a fun one - warm up - then sprint one minute and then pedal out (active recovery) one minute. Try to up to an hour total (30 intervals) at as close to the same intensity as possible. This sounds easy - good luck. We ride this in spin class and there is a lake under my bike after the hour.
2012-01-19 9:37 AM

User image

New user

Strava?

Check out www.strava.com  It is a cool way to upload and share your rides and runs.  Free.  I have used it for about six months, and as I said it is a great way of seeing what my friends around the world are up to.  There are various leaderboards where you can compete virtually against your friends or yourself.  It would be a good supplement to this wonderful forum and site.  Especially to follow the members of this group.

2012-01-19 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
On the issue of running shoes.  If you are replacing your shoes like you should, they probably still look pretty good,, correct.  I know that you can't look at mine and tell they are worn out but they are.  On to my next point.  I am involved with a mission in Belize,(the one I raised money for in my Ironman), these boys could sure use your old shoes.  If you would like, you can send them to me and I would be glad to take them down when I go several times a year.  If you are like me you keep the old shoes to knock around in and what not, but even I end up having 2 or 3 extra pairs a year that I can take down.  It really means a lot to the boys.  Just someting to think about.
2012-01-19 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
I miss Lena!!!!!!

2012-01-19 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3999560

User image

Expert

elcaminobill - 2012-01-19 11:16 AM On the issue of running shoes.  If you are replacing your shoes like you should, they probably still look pretty good,, correct.  I know that you can't look at mine and tell they are worn out but they are.  On to my next point.  I am involved with a mission in Belize,(the one I raised money for in my Ironman), these boys could sure use your old shoes.  If you would like, you can send them to me and I would be glad to take them down when I go several times a year.  If you are like me you keep the old shoes to knock around in and what not, but even I end up having 2 or 3 extra pairs a year that I can take down.  It really means a lot to the boys.  Just someting to think about.

Do you take woman's shoes as well?  I probably have a couple of pair laying around that I could send to you.  

2012-01-19 1:49 PM

User image

Expert

Of course, but only if they are high heels!  I wear them late a night myself!!!!!

Calm down people, I am just kidding.   Yes I would take womens shoes as well.  I am specifically talking about trainers and or running shoes, or maybe tennis shoes. 

Come on now, you know that was funny.

2012-01-19 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Billy, I want to see you wearing women shoes.  Laughing   The store I go to for my running shoes has a box for us to dispose of our shoes and they denote them.

I have a Cannodale SuperSix road bike and it worked well for me for my HIM.  However, if I move up to an IM I am debating about getting a tri bike.  I was thinking of getting another road bike and fixing it up to be my tri bike thinking it would be alittle bit more practical meaning I would have another road bike if I decide I am done with tris.  (Can you believe this) The hubby believes if I am going to do it I should go all out and get a tri bike.  Thoughts??  What kind of bikes do you ride?

Kathy

2012-01-19 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3999926

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Guess I just need to get on my bike and ride - after I get one. I like the suggestion on the interval workout - I'll try that one soon. My shoes have 351 miles on them, so a trip to "The Running Spot" is on tap in the near future. On a positive note, it was warm enough here for a weather wimp like me to get in a good outdoor run today. Felt great!
2012-01-19 4:04 PM

Washington DC

Ran for 3 minutes straight today, which is more than I think I ever have before in my life, I'm pretty excited about that. I wasn't going to run today as it's cold, but today is the day I had scheduled a run, and tomorrow it's supposed to snow, so I bundled up and did it this afternoon, since I'm working late tonight.

Weird thing was, I actually kind of enjoyed it.

I had no idea that shoes needed to be replaced that quickly! More incentive to keep on tracking here I guess.

2012-01-19 4:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
One more new one for the group. Here's the bio. I think you will all be as impressed as I am.

Awesome!

So - I am a 2-time cardiac event survivor; heart attack and 5 stents April 2004, and a triple bypass July 2008. I actually started cycling with Team In Training in 2007, and since then have completed over 25 century rides-the most enduring was the 120-mile Triple Bypass (somewhat appropriate for me) in Colorado with 10,300 feet of climb and 3 mountain passes. I started triathlon in 2010, more as a way to cross-train than anything else. My first tri actually ended up being the LoneStar 70.3 in Galveston, as a result of calendar and weather issues. Since then, I have started 3 other 70.3 events, crashing the bike in Galveston in 2011. My first Ironman was Florida 2011. That was awesome just to be a part of. I am now registered for IMAZ 2012, and will be part of the IronHeart Racing team, though I "participate" more so than "compete"... I take the title "Plodding Elephant" very seriously.  2012 will be an exciting year for me in many ways - LoneStar 70.3, IMKansas 70.3, probably Redman or something else around September, and some sprints along the way. I have one awesome supporter/SAG driver who will be getting married July 28th, so more commitments there. I am a serious believer in heart health, and doing what you can to support those supporting health-related charities, to the extent that I am in the process of setting up a 501(c)(3) to support that effort.

I am excited to be a part of this group, and look forward to learning as much as I can from everybody.

-----
You wanna see what a "plodding elephant" looks like?
Riding sweep for IronHeart Racing... hey, SOMEBODY has to be last!
www.Cardiac-Iron.us
TheCardiacIronman.blogspot.com
Do It Like It Means Something... Because It Does!

left.right.repeat

2012-01-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4000275

User image

Veteran
Austin

left.right.repeat - 2012-01-19 4:19 PM One more new one for the group. Here's the bio. I think you will all be as impressed as I am.

Awesome!

So - I am a 2-time cardiac event survivor; heart attack and 5 stents April 2004, and a triple bypass July 2008. I actually started cycling with Team In Training in 2007, and since then have completed over 25 century rides-the most enduring was the 120-mile Triple Bypass (somewhat appropriate for me) in Colorado with 10,300 feet of climb and 3 mountain passes. I started triathlon in 2010, more as a way to cross-train than anything else. My first tri actually ended up being the LoneStar 70.3 in Galveston, as a result of calendar and weather issues. Since then, I have started 3 other 70.3 events, crashing the bike in Galveston in 2011. My first Ironman was Florida 2011. That was awesome just to be a part of. I am now registered for IMAZ 2012, and will be part of the IronHeart Racing team, though I "participate" more so than "compete"... I take the title "Plodding Elephant" very seriously.  2012 will be an exciting year for me in many ways - LoneStar 70.3, IMKansas 70.3, probably Redman or something else around September, and some sprints along the way. I have one awesome supporter/SAG driver who will be getting married July 28th, so more commitments there. I am a serious believer in heart health, and doing what you can to support those supporting health-related charities, to the extent that I am in the process of setting up a 501(c)(3) to support that effort.

I am excited to be a part of this group, and look forward to learning as much as I can from everybody.

-----
You wanna see what a "plodding elephant" looks like?
Riding sweep for IronHeart Racing... hey, SOMEBODY has to be last!
www.Cardiac-Iron.us
TheCardiacIronman.blogspot.com
Do It Like It Means Something... Because It Does!

left.right.repeat

That would be me... TripleByPat/Patrick. I was also at IMAZ and had the opportunity to meet Bryan and the other "characters" in the Ironman book - was at the finish to watch Bryan cross the line, and (he must have been a stalker that weekend!) again on the plane coming home. If you were there, you probably saw us IronHeart folks running around in our bright orange t-shirts...

I feel like I am still a novice at all this tri stuff and still have a lot to learn. So I look forward to hearing from you all, and seeing some of you somewhere down the road!

Rubber side down, all!

2012-01-19 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN

Ok I have been trying to catch up on my reading.  Hopefully I will get that accomplished this weekend.  So exciting to have all the new people in our group!  WELCOME EVERYONE!!!  

One thing that stood out to me when reading....questions about the bike and Bryan reinforcing that it's about the engine not the bike.  Time in the saddle will give you the most benefit.  Believe me I speak from experience.  I have been on the bike almost every single day beginning December 1st and have put in 948 miles.  I have spent most time on the trainer and using lots of Spinerval DVDs.  I did the 32 day Spinerval Challenge and now doing Spinervals Super 6.  And I am sweating buckets daily. I am determined to improve my bike time.   In addition I'm working on my run, swim, and doing strength training.  

Hey BILLY....I will see you in Louisville!  I will be volunteering!  I'm not doing Louisville because I am doing Wisconsin this year.  I also have a pair of women's shoes you may be interested in wearing since you like to wear them late at night!  I'll get a pic on here in a few days and you can let me know what you think!!!!  

I still have lots of catching up to do!  I'm excited to read about everyone!  

2012-01-19 11:45 PM

User image

Walla Walla

Maria - way to go on that run!  I did 3 minute intervals once (once) and I think I kept doing it just because it was so freaking cool that I could! And then my head gets in it and I think about how I'm going to feel when I can do 5 and 10 minute intervals. And then I cry. There I said it.

Mav - thanks for welcoming us all so warmly.  I feel like we have a LOT of mentors in this group.  You too, Billy.  I see right through you.

FBP - thinking of you today as we are iced in in Walla Walla - Iced in not so much from the all-day sleet freezing on the ground as from the city's decision not to plow it. Gr.  Not too inspired to clean up the bike yet.  BTW if all y'all want some hills to ride on, come visit. 

But where is Dnoble?  Last time he was here I was scolding him for not going to the Dr. (it was transference, I admit - I finally got Mr. to the Dr. this week and on a dose of predizone so he can get out of bed in the mornings without screaming in agony) and he was going to buy shoes...

Workout today was good - 18 minutes in the pool and I think I accomplished about 1200m(rotating, rotating, even though it feels like I'm dog paddling when I do it) and 38 minutes on the bike with 30 second sprint intervals, but not fast enough to get my heartrate as high as I do when I "run". Oh, and at least a half hour shoveling ice.  So I'm good for the day, I think.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  

of 240