BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-03-30 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
Thanks for the advice/tips/comments everyone. 

My bike is in fact used.  I ride a 2005 Ibex Corrida which has seen it's share of upgrades thanks to it's previous owner.  My problem is that I don't know the first thing about bikes, minus a few simple things, so I need to brush up on that area for sure.  

I had my bike fit a few weeks ago, so it's all good, I think for that specific ride my posture was pretty bad, especially at the end when I started to feel it.  

I'll put aero bars on it once the govt $$ comes in, my LBS is extremely helpful and great, so I know they'll get the job done. I'll also take it in for a tune-up at the same time.  

I've got another 1 hr ride today plus a pretty big road interval workout, we'll see how I come out of it, should be fine though, back is feeling good today.  

2010-03-30 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

There are several really good books on bike maintenance. Bicycling magazine has one.  The Zinn and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance is another.  Also, several bike shops and junior colleges offer courses. When they didn't have them here, I suggested them.  The JC offers one every semester now.  Very popular.  The reason I mention that is that every one should be able to do the basics...change a flat (We know what that almost cost Chrissie Wellington a couple of years ago), adjust shifters, deal with a broken spoke or an out of round wheel...  We need to know these things so we are confident that when we head out into the country, we can get back home.  We also need to know what the heck the mechanics are talking about to make good decisions on what to buy, what to upgrade, what to fix, routine maintenance to ask about.

Ask your bike shop to host a Saturday seminar for a couple of hours.  They do it for free, offer refreshments, maybe during their spring open house, they will get lots of people there.  If they want to make it more extensive, tell them to charge $20.  I used to be afraid of touching anything mechanical.  Now I have my own tools, work stand, little bike repair shop, and I do my own routine maintenance.  I don't have to stand in line or pay bucks for something that is very simple to do myself and I get to putter with my favorite toys -MY BIKES!  Great fun. 

BT and Bicycling magazine's web site have lots of good information about bike care too. 

2010-03-30 8:04 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good info Scott and you are absolutely right about getting familar with bike mechanics!  Unfortunately for me, our local bike shop has a course every winter that I have yet to make due to scheduling conflicts!  But I have read the Zinn book you mention and due to the businesses I am in I have a fairly strong mechanical back ground.

The only things I can add to what Scott posted is my group rides 90% of the time are with other triathletes and we are all on TT bikes.  We respect that fact so there is no drafting (usually  )  But he is absolutely correct if you are riding in a mixed group or non-tri group.  In most cases if you are only going to have one bike, it should be a road bike for just this reason.

The other thing I will add to the fitting comments is to periodically have it checked.  As we become better cyclists and improve our bike fitness adjustments can be made to take greater advantage of these improvements.

2010-03-31 8:20 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

According to the weatherman we are going to get some great weather this weekend to finally get the bike outside!!! Already have a small group ride set for Saturday!  Unfortunately spending all day Sunday flying to CA for a week, but I have some great running routes out there (I go often) so that works out ok I guess.

Anyone else taking advantage of the weather this weekend?

How is everyone doing with their swimming?

2010-04-01 1:03 AM
in reply to: #2759661

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
kenj - 2010-03-31 8:20 AM

According to the weatherman we are going to get some great weather this weekend to finally get the bike outside!!! Already have a small group ride set for Saturday!  Unfortunately spending all day Sunday flying to CA for a week, but I have some great running routes out there (I go often) so that works out ok I guess.

Anyone else taking advantage of the weather this weekend?

How is everyone doing with their swimming?

Definitely going to take advantage this weekend. Got a nice bikeride and run planned for Saturday and Sunday, couldn't let the nice weather go without getting out. Swimming..I'm not sure how I'm coming along with it to be honest, getting pretty frustrated. I'm stuck in the rut of pacing myself v going too slow. Right now I can consistently do 1:40/100m which seems way too slow to me, but if I crank up the pace at all I get all out of whack and my stroke goes to hell and back.I've really only been swimming for the last 3 months consistently when I started training, but there are plenty of days when I feel like I'm a rock in the water. As I'm poor beyond belief, lessons aside from my cousin are out of the question, so I have to do reading and find out on my own how to get faster. Anyone else have updates on their swimming?
2010-04-02 5:40 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I have been swimming consistently twice a week for the past couple of months, but doing it on my own.  I was getting in some real solid distance and my endurance was definitely getting to where I needed for my race schedule this summer, but I wasn't getting any faster and I was slower than I was the last couple of years.  I had planned on changing my schedule and returning to masters at least once a week so I would get pushed.  I finally did that last night and my pace for that workout was .15 seconds per hundred faster than I had been swimming on my own! 

My point here is that as uncomfortable as we may be with our swimming, getting into a masters group or finding some other triathletes to train with is a good way to push ourselves and step outside of our comfort zones.   Even if it is once every couple of weeks! 

Happy Easter and have a great weekend!!!

Edited by kenj 2010-04-02 5:40 AM

2010-04-02 6:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I hate to beat this topic to death but when I do group rides with people on TT bikes they are called races.  We have a regular Tuesday night time trial.  People go off at 15 second intervals, no drafting, USAT rules, known course.   Otherwise I won't usually go on group rides with people in TT bikes unless I stay way ahead or way behind to avoid trouble.  I've had too many people crash big time in the past couple of years, life changing experiences...broken pelvis,  missed months of life from head injuries even with helmets.  Not worth a little company.   

Learning to ride in groups in a peloton is a skill that takes practice for sure.  Hands are not to be on the hoods braking all the time.  That's dangerous too. But hands must be near the brakes when in in groups.  Choose riding partners carefully.  A little company is not worth a blown race year. In fact, I ride group rides only with a chosen few friends on road bikes or with my coaching group who are ALWAYS on road bikes in groups, no exception.     

The Masters rocks.  I go twice a week.  Getting faster slowly.  But I never intend to win a tri on the swim, just not lose one.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-04-02 6:54 AM
2010-04-02 7:37 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

My masters group is a great bunch of guys/gals.  2 reasons I don't swim with them more is that they generally swim shorter sets (under 2000 yds a practice) which is fine for shorter races and to build speed and improve form.  But my biggest reason for not swimming with them more is that I am a morning person, up at 4 or so and they don't start until 8:30 at night.  Still, it is worth it to get there at least once a week to have that type of workout as part of my swim training.

I'm with you Scott on the swim goal.  Can't win a tri in the swim, but it sure can cost you if you aren't prepared!

Edited by kenj 2010-04-02 7:38 AM
2010-04-02 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
My Masters group offers early mornings, when I go and night both twice a week.  Longer swims are at the gym. The masters coaching is really great here.  Helped me tons!

Have a great weekend! 
2010-04-02 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2764842

User image

Welllington, NZ
You know, over the period of 3 months now that we've been group'd up there's been some great topics covered and some great advice.

One thing keep reoccuring though - and that's the swim. It's funny isn't it that to most of us the swim is the worst part - the bit we are frightened of failing at. I guess that's because we can all bike and walk/run already and it's the medium we're entering (the water). One of the TI books states to "embrace the swim" - that will be one of my main goals/mantras over the winter whilst getting ready for the next season. Once i'm done with the gliding-on 4 week swim course i will look at joining a masters class - i actually work better with having some form of accountability (just like you lot on BT)!

Off for the easter break with the family for a week now - training wise it's a scheduled easy week so only a few light runs planned (apart from normal family stuff) - but there'll be no more posts for the period. So, good luck with your training for the week everyone - i look forward to reading a fair few posts on my return!

Lewis.
2010-04-02 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2765529

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-04-02 3:56 PM You know, over the period of 3 months now that we've been group'd up there's been some great topics covered and some great advice.

One thing keep reoccuring though - and that's the swim. It's funny isn't it that to most of us the swim is the worst part - the bit we are frightened of failing at. I guess that's because we can all bike and walk/run already and it's the medium we're entering (the water). One of the TI books states to "embrace the swim" - that will be one of my main goals/mantras over the winter whilst getting ready for the next season. Once i'm done with the gliding-on 4 week swim course i will look at joining a masters class - i actually work better with having some form of accountability (just like you lot on BT)!

Off for the easter break with the family for a week now - training wise it's a scheduled easy week so only a few light runs planned (apart from normal family stuff) - but there'll be no more posts for the period. So, good luck with your training for the week everyone - i look forward to reading a fair few posts on my return!

Lewis.

Enjoy your Easter break with your family!  We'll still be here when you get back!!

2010-04-03 11:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I don't fear the swim.  I put it in perspective.  You can't pick up time on the swim, you can't get nourishment on the swim very easily, you can't do much but get in and get it done saving as many strokes as you can by being as aero as you can and keeping your heart rate as low as you can and still get the job done.

I want to finish in a decent time without losing too much juice. Then on to the bike where some real damage can be done...Then if I've trained well for the bike, I'll have enough left to get a decent time on the run.  The bike is the center for me, always will be. 

At the same time, I like swimming, especially open water.  I have learned to like running.  So, it's all fun now.  I don't dread anything.
2010-04-04 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good perspective on the swim Scott!  Unfortunately some people get themselves so worked up over the swim that it over taxes them to a point of hurting the bike and run results.  Getting the time in the pool is great for building swimming skills, but also confidence to complete the distance.  Nothing prepares us though like some quality time in the open water with our wetsuits on. 

2010-04-04 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2767379

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I wrote an open water swim story that will be published before an open water swim, first one in downstate Illinois by the Masters.  It has some tips.  I'll post it from work.  Main thing is as you say, make sure you can complete the distance in the pool.  Learn to sight so you swim in a straight line.  Breath easy.  Learn to swim on your back for rest, to fix your goggle, etc. (Wish I'd thought of that my first race.  Water filled my goggles, I was blind and rather than stopping., I tagged along with a swimmer about my own speed.  Worked out but a pain) and to take nourishment on Ironman distances when they offer rest stops. 

Happy Easter to the Christians among you.
Ice.
2010-04-04 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Great advice from everyone on the swim.  Completely agree with it.  You can't win in the swim, but you certainly can put yourself in a bad frame of mind for the rest of the race.  

Injury time for me, yay. Did my first brick on Friday and when I was finished, had a twinge in the back of my right knee, it's a pulled hamstring down where the hamstring meets the calf.  Played a bit of soccer on Saturday AM to loosen it up, felt good but can't hit my long run this week which is disappointing.   

Hoping I can get rid of this pretty quick.  
2010-04-04 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Ice, heat and no soccer to "loosen it up." Ibuprofen.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-04-04 10:19 AM

2010-04-04 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2767411

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-04-04 11:03 AM Great advice from everyone on the swim.  Completely agree with it.  You can't win in the swim, but you certainly can put yourself in a bad frame of mind for the rest of the race.  

Injury time for me, yay. Did my first brick on Friday and when I was finished, had a twinge in the back of my right knee, it's a pulled hamstring down where the hamstring meets the calf.  Played a bit of soccer on Saturday AM to loosen it up, felt good but can't hit my long run this week which is disappointing.   

Hoping I can get rid of this pretty quick.  

Ouch!  I had the same injury about 5 weeks out from the Disney marathon.  I tried to train through it, and for the most part did, but the long runs suffered and subsequently so did my race.  My advice would be the same as Scott's with the ice, rest, ibuprofen and massage.  May be a good week for a swim focus training! 

Good luck.

2010-04-05 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Well I'm back!

It was too depressing reading about everyone training while I was out with the knee surgery so I kind of dropped off the radar.  But got the OK to "take it slowly" late last week.

Sunday I went on a 3 mile ride and 1/2 mile run with my 8 year old who is doing the kids tri at St A's again this year (that's the kid's distance plus a 100 yard swim... he does 1500+ daily at swim practice so I don't think that'll be an issue)

Knee did not hurt but it told me that was enough for the day.  Wow.. it's like starting all over...

I don't think the logs will accept 3 miles as a bike ride...LOL

2010-04-05 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2768269

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TriRSquared - 2010-04-05 8:22 AM Well I'm back!

It was too depressing reading about everyone training while I was out with the knee surgery so I kind of dropped off the radar.  But got the OK to "take it slowly" late last week.

Sunday I went on a 3 mile ride and 1/2 mile run with my 8 year old who is doing the kids tri at St A's again this year (that's the kid's distance plus a 100 yard swim... he does 1500+ daily at swim practice so I don't think that'll be an issue)

Knee did not hurt but it told me that was enough for the day.  Wow.. it's like starting all over...

I don't think the logs will accept 3 miles as a bike ride...LOL

Glad to hear that you are back on your feet (and bike)!  Take it slowly and listen to your doctor and it will be full steam ahead before you know it!

Good luck to your son at St A's! 

2010-04-05 7:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
TriRSquared.  You rock.  Easy does it.  It is NOT like starting over.  You are carrying all that wisdom you had before on how to ramp up gradually to avoid re-injury.   That is a huge asset.  Good luck! Keep us posted.
2010-04-05 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Thanks guys.  I've been acting as my wife's coach for St As's as well.  Her first Olympic.  She's gonna rock it.

2010-04-05 9:22 AM

Subject: Race Day Equipment
From you more advanced participants, what equipment is needed on race day?
The obvious being a wetsuit, bike helmet, running shoes,, etc.

What I am looking for is the overlooked by a first timer.

Is a race belt needed? Is a timing chip ankle strap needed? What type of suit under the wetsuit is needed? Is fuel belts needed? Should I be there the day before or is the morning of acceptable? What generally is in a race packet?

Any help to get over the anxiety of not having what I should or forgetting something, will be a great help.
2010-04-05 9:28 AM

User image

Which distance race are you doing, Doug?
2010-04-05 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2768525

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Race Day Equipment

DougJ - 2010-04-05 10:22 AM From you more advanced participants, what equipment is needed on race day?
The obvious being a wetsuit, bike helmet, running shoes,, etc.

What I am looking for is the overlooked by a first timer.

Is a race belt needed? Is a timing chip ankle strap needed? What type of suit under the wetsuit is needed? Is fuel belts needed? Should I be there the day before or is the morning of acceptable? What generally is in a race packet?

Any help to get over the anxiety of not having what I should or forgetting something, will be a great help.

You are right on for the basics.  A race belt is not necessary, but nice.  I prefer using one and the one I have has elastic hoops for gels which is nice.  They will give you straps for your chip, some times they are the plastic ones which may rub your ankle the wrong way.  You should also have a towel and another for a mat or a mat of some sort to lay out your transition. 

You will want sun glasses, maybe socks if you haven't been training without them.  There may be others that I am not thinking of.  Here is a link to an article here that also talks about the basics.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=101

There are a lot of other good articles for your first tri, just click on the button above and look around! 

2010-04-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2768539

bswcpa - 2010-04-05 10:28 AM Which distance race are you doing, Doug?

800 m/ 40 k/ 8 k, what ever distance that is. This late May, water temp expected to be low 70's.

http://www.thtriathlon.com/
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29