BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-05-28 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2770190

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED!
Kip, nice bike!

Michelle... For me, that'd be a close call.  I guess the question is, how important is that half to you, and is a 30-mile ride really pushing your limits (ie would it take you more than a few days to recover)?  If it's an A-race and a 30-mile ride will really leave you exhausted, I'd skip it and see if she'd want to reschedule after your race.  If you're just doing the half marathon as a B- or C-race, and 30-miles is not that big of a deal for you, then go ahead and ride but just take it easy!  Though for me, biking doesn't really wear me out too much, so I'd probably go ahead and ride.... I did my first long ride (38 miles) about a week before my first tri, and I was totally fine for the race.

2010-05-28 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
New bikes are always fun!  Enjoy it.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and gets an extra day off on Monday.  I switched up my schedule a little this week so I can get in the workouts and hopefully take Sunday as a rest day and enjoy time with the family.  Will spend time at the lake on Monday and get in another open water swim.  Hope to help out a new triathlete whose first race is June 6th.
2010-05-28 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2887215

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
fungi32 - 2010-05-27 5:46 PM Got the new bike today, Im lovin it, long ride SaturdayLaughing

Thats looks like a nice ride!!! Hopefully your new bike treats you well!
2010-05-28 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2887685

User image

Veteran
michwea - 2010-05-27 10:10 PM Sorry I haven't been very participative lately, guys.  Lots going on at work, plus the usual business travel has left me NOT wanting to get on the computer when I get home at night. 

In the last throes of training for my half on Saturday, the 5th.  Just going to do 9 on Saturday at race pace, some speedwork on Tuesday, and an easy 3 on Thursday and call it good.  I haven't been on the bike as much as I would like due to the work and travel commitments.  A friend and I were going to do a longish ride last weekend (well, longish for me at about 30 miles).  She ended up canceling at the last minute, which was fine.  Now she's suggesting we reschedule for this Sunday.  Here's my question:  Do I risk it when technically I'm in my taper week before the race?  The route is hilly, but there's no reason for us to go balls out; just a nice HRZ 2-3 effort, hopefully.  Is it possible to trash my legs so bad that I won't recover sufficiently by the following Saturday?

Any advice is appreciated!

I guess it all depends on how you normally recover from rides. I would personally go ahead and do the ride becasue I think my body would be able to recover by next day. If you take it at an easier pace, I don't see any reason why you could go for the ride.
2010-05-28 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2887685

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

Go for the ride but make sure to get your protein in and that should help significantly with not trashing your legs as much.

Any way avoid the hill ride and just do a flat ride instead?  That would help too.

2010-05-28 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Nice bike Kip, have a good long ride tomorrow...

2010-05-29 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2888593

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
yogachic - 2010-05-28 8:51 AM Kip, nice bike!

Michelle... For me, that'd be a close call.  I guess the question is, how important is that half to you, and is a 30-mile ride really pushing your limits (ie would it take you more than a few days to recover)?  If it's an A-race and a 30-mile ride will really leave you exhausted, I'd skip it and see if she'd want to reschedule after your race.  If you're just doing the half marathon as a B- or C-race, and 30-miles is not that big of a deal for you, then go ahead and ride but just take it easy!  Though for me, biking doesn't really wear me out too much, so I'd probably go ahead and ride.... I did my first long ride (38 miles) about a week before my first tri, and I was totally fine for the race.

Good advice Missy.  This would be a B race for me...I want to do well, but given that it's an out of town event that I haven't done before and weather/wind could be a factor, I don't have a high set of expectations.  Also, as for the ride, 30 should be no problem, and I generally don't have issues recovering from the bike in a day.  Long runs sometimes take me 48 hours before I recover, but cycling so far hasn't caused long recovery times.

Carrie--the place we're supposed to ride is called Yokol Valley.  My understanding is that you ride the hills to get to valley.  I presume the valley is flat, or flatter anyway.  At the very least, there should be rollers as this is in the Sierras.  In any case, I already made a pact with my friend that we're going to take it easy.  She seemed relieved as I don't think she has spent much time in the saddle.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'll let you all know how it went.
2010-05-29 11:30 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Scott,
I had my massage today.  HEAVEN.  THe therapist said something pretty interesting that I thought I would pass along.....you may not want the deep tissue work before the race incase they stir up stuff that takes a while to recoup from.  She especially advises that if you haven't had a massage before and the therapist doesn't know your trouble spots.

I am not allowed to go a full year in between massages.  Have the next one scheduled already.  Going to put them into my life like a haircut!!
2010-05-29 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2887215

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2010-05-27 5:46 PM Got the new bike today, Im lovin it, long ride SaturdayLaughing

Sweet ride!  I hope you have many happy miles together!
2010-05-29 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2890008

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
michwea - 2010-05-29 9:54 AM
yogachic - 2010-05-28 8:51 AM Kip, nice bike!

Good advice Missy.  This would be a B race for me...I want to do well, but given that it's an out of town event that I haven't done before and weather/wind could be a factor, I don't have a high set of expectations.  Also, as for the ride, 30 should be no problem, and I generally don't have issues recovering from the bike in a day.  Long runs sometimes take me 48 hours before I recover, but cycling so far hasn't caused long recovery times.

Carrie--the place we're supposed to ride is called Yokol Valley.  My understanding is that you ride the hills to get to valley.  I presume the valley is flat, or flatter anyway.  At the very least, there should be rollers as this is in the Sierras.  In any case, I already made a pact with my friend that we're going to take it easy.  She seemed relieved as I don't think she has spent much time in the saddle.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'll let you all know how it went.

Glad to hear you are doing the ride.  With a week to go before the HM you should have plenty of time to recover.  Relax, don't try to kill it, and just enjoy yourself.  Sounds like a fun ride.
2010-05-29 5:17 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
On the topic of recovery after a hard ride, apparently 3 hours is not enough lol!  I did a 80 mile ride this morning, which turned out to be a pretty hard effort due to a pretty stiff headwind for the last half.  I ate, took a nap, and got dressed to run 3 hours later.  As I walked down the steps of my apartment my legs were pretty much telling me no way.  Guess I'll wait till morning to see if they're any happier.

I'm gonna grab a beer and fire up the grill.  It's sorta like running, right?

2010-05-30 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Finally got to ride and run yesterday after my back problems.  I have an OLY in 2 weeks with my training team and this weekends schedule was 25 mile ride and 25 minute run fairly hard.  Haven't run for two weeks and the only ride I did was coasting 35 miles down a mountain in Hawaii.  My back felt fine starting but about half way in it started tightening up.   I focused on increasing my cadence and avoiding hammering the hills.  Run felt great.  What a great surprise. 

Felt so good I walked 18 holes of golf but that's when my achilles tendon started to hurt from walking up steep hills.  I've never had any problem with my achilles so I don't know what to do.  Wasn't sharp pain but enough to make me limp.  Still sore this morning.  I'm taking off a couple of days and see what happens.

Neal, if grilling and drinking beer count as running I may have over trained in Hawaii.

2010-05-30 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Very nice bike!

My hubby and I did a quarter marathon today.  Odd distance 6.55 miles.  My motto, "the quarter marathon, longer than a 10K."  Very warm, humid, sunny.

How hot was it?

Heat Shuts Down Madison Marathon Early

Organizers Decide Heat Too Dangerous

Updated: 7:28 pm CDT May 30, 2010

The Madison Marathon was closed early this year, due to heat concerns. Race organizers had been tracking the weather for weeks, but by 10:30 a.m. they decided the heat index was too dangerous. "I know that the runners are going to be mad at the decision to close it, but our first priority is always their safety," said Event Director Keith Peterson. At 11 a.m. Peterson announced runners could choose to finish the race, but the course was officially closed. Medical staff said heat filled their infirmary tent much quicker compared to last year.  "We have a lot of people coming in dehydrated, some of the overheated, high temperatures and we just start an IV, get fluid into them real quick, putting them in ice baths," said Mary Timm, a medical volunteer.

Not sure how I feel about the closure of the race course.  People did the right thing by slowing down and then were penalized for being slower.  No official times listed after 4:10.  I feel really bad for people who trained hard for months and had the weather take their race away from them.
2010-05-31 6:17 AM

User image

31 mile ride on the new bike this weekend felt great, couple little tweaks to the gears and it will be perfect. Took it easy last week will ride today and probably give the leg a try tomorrow on a run.
2010-05-31 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2890092

User image

Veteran
QueenZipp - 2010-05-29 11:30 AM Scott,
I had my massage today.  HEAVEN.  THe therapist said something pretty interesting that I thought I would pass along.....you may not want the deep tissue work before the race incase they stir up stuff that takes a while to recoup from.  She especially advises that if you haven't had a massage before and the therapist doesn't know your trouble spots.

I am not allowed to go a full year in between massages.  Have the next one scheduled already.  Going to put them into my life like a haircut!!

Good to know. Did you you just get a sports masage, then? hopefully i dont become addicted to these, they don't really seem to ever be that cheap.
2010-05-31 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2891834

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
scotty930 - 2010-05-31 8:30 AM

Good to know. Did you you just get a sports masage, then? hopefully i dont become addicted to these, they don't really seem to ever be that cheap.

It was a deep tissue massage with some stretching too.  I will be going fairly regularly (8 weeks apart max) until the HIM then probably space it out more as the volume decreases off season. 

Expensive?  Yes....Worth the price in terms of body maintenance?  Yes...... 

Probably as beneficial as the few minutes taken to stretch, do yoga or use a foam roller are but she definitely hits areas you just can't get doing those things.

2010-05-31 2:31 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I ran trails at a state park today.  It was a nice run, but the day in itself was epic failure........pay for parking.....yeah, I have nothing on me but water and a drivers license so my husband had to come over and pay my parking fee. 

My daughter and her freind got off their intended trail with no fuel/ fluid.  They were walking at that point at least.....Over an hour later they returned.  I had finished my run and did yoga in the grass waiting for them.  Then walked around looking for them........

To top it all off, I got my car stuck in a ditch dropping the friend off and it took my husband, the friend's father and brother to get me out.  It was ugly and my husband is a wee bit more than ticked off at me. 

Thankfully, no damage to the car.

Edited by QueenZipp 2010-05-31 2:31 PM
2010-05-31 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2891540

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
retiretotri - 2010-05-30 9:55 PM Very nice bike!

My hubby and I did a quarter marathon today.  Odd distance 6.55 miles.  My motto, "the quarter marathon, longer than a 10K."  Very warm, humid, sunny.

How hot was it?

Heat Shuts Down Madison Marathon Early

Organizers Decide Heat Too Dangerous

Updated: 7:28 pm CDT May 30, 2010

The Madison Marathon was closed early this year, due to heat concerns. Race organizers had been tracking the weather for weeks, but by 10:30 a.m. they decided the heat index was too dangerous. "I know that the runners are going to be mad at the decision to close it, but our first priority is always their safety," said Event Director Keith Peterson. At 11 a.m. Peterson announced runners could choose to finish the race, but the course was officially closed. Medical staff said heat filled their infirmary tent much quicker compared to last year.  "We have a lot of people coming in dehydrated, some of the overheated, high temperatures and we just start an IV, get fluid into them real quick, putting them in ice baths," said Mary Timm, a medical volunteer.

Not sure how I feel about the closure of the race course.  People did the right thing by slowing down and then were penalized for being slower.  No official times listed after 4:10.  I feel really bad for people who trained hard for months and had the weather take their race away from them.

Hmmm, I guess it is up to the RD to call a race because of safety concerns, however, I disagree the decision to say that the runners could finish if they wanted to.  If you are going to close the course for safety concerns then pull the runners too.  Don't tell them they can finish, but without the on-course support that is necessary for their safety.  Seems like that only exacerbates the problem.  Of course, some people will try to finish no matter the circumstances and there is really no way to physically stop them.... 
2010-06-01 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2892254

User image

Expert
QueenZipp - 2010-05-31 2:27 PM
scotty930 - 2010-05-31 8:30 AM

It was a deep tissue massage with some stretching too.  I will be going fairly regularly (8 weeks apart max) until the HIM then probably space it out more as the volume decreases off season. 

Expensive?  Yes....Worth the price in terms of body maintenance?  Yes...... 

Probably as beneficial as the few minutes taken to stretch, do yoga or use a foam roller are but she definitely hits areas you just can't get doing those things.

I agree that despite the expense, massages are definitely worth it.  I am trying to get them on a fairly regular basis this year as well in prep for IMFL.
2010-06-01 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Well, as it turns out, the RD just stopped timing the event but kept the medical and aid stations open.  He hoped that stopping the timing would encourage people to either slow down or stop.  Buses were also sent out on the route to pick anyone up that wanted a ride back to the start/finish line.

I don't get it.  Either completely shut it down and stop everything or keep the timing going.  Trust me, plenty of people looked bad (quarter/half/full marathoners).  Reports stated that medical was overwhelmed with many people taken off the course on stretchers.  Safety of the runners was first priority, shut it all down and pick them up. 
2010-06-01 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2893965

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
retiretotri - 2010-06-01 11:04 AM Well, as it turns out, the RD just stopped timing the event but kept the medical and aid stations open.  He hoped that stopping the timing would encourage people to either slow down or stop.  Buses were also sent out on the route to pick anyone up that wanted a ride back to the start/finish line.

I don't get it.  Either completely shut it down and stop everything or keep the timing going.  Trust me, plenty of people looked bad (quarter/half/full marathoners).  Reports stated that medical was overwhelmed with many people taken off the course on stretchers.  Safety of the runners was first priority, shut it all down and pick them up. 

That should be priority number one .....especially in really hot and humid conditions.  If there isn't enough fluid for the aid stations close it all down ASAP.  If medical is on overwhelm.....close it all down.   Sheesh, to leave it open but remove the timing?  What is that doing other than frustrating anyone who wanted to see a final result and not a guesstimate time ater the months of training.  Wasn't any safer to the participants at all!

2010-06-01 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Hi guys, sorry for being MIA again.  Sheesh, all this training is taking away from my BT time Wink  I'll try to catch up to the thread later (when my boss isn't looking, ha!)  And hopefully if I have more time, I'll poke my nose into everyone's blogs and see how you're all doing

I had a pretty good weekend.  Ran 2 miles Saturday morning from my house to the meeting spot for my tri club group run, then we ran 6 miles to Soldier Field to cheer on our fellow club-mates doing the SF 10-miler.  Fun morning, and I got a total of 8 miles running - only 2 miles less than the racers!

Sunday was Bike the Drive.  I'd hoped to get in 50+ miles during the 3.5hrs they had Lake Shore Drive dedicated for bikes, but I slept in and only had access to the Drive for 2.5 hrs before they kicked all the bikers off to let cars back on.  So I only got in 36 miles, but still had a fun time!  Sunday night, my running friends did a running bar crawl, where we ran from bar to bar and took a shot at each bar.  We ended up doing 7.3 miles, but I ran to/from the start as well so my total mileage that night was 9.3 miles/8 bars/a lot of alcohol.

Yesterday, I was hoping to swim & go to yoga, but I forgot they changed the gym hours for memorial day, so I wasn't able to do either of those things   Luckily I was still able to lift since my lifting buddy has a home gym.

This morning I got my first open water swim in of the season!  The lake was beautiful, warm, and calm today!  I only did a 1/2 mile though because my wetsuit felt really restrictive.  I'm sure it'll loosen up after a few more swims, though.
2010-06-01 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2894424

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2010-06-01 1:16 PM Hi guys, sorry for being MIA again.  Sheesh, all this training is taking away from my BT time Wink  I'll try to catch up to the thread later (when my boss isn't looking, ha!)  And hopefully if I have more time, I'll poke my nose into everyone's blogs and see how you're all doing

I had a pretty good weekend.  Ran 2 miles Saturday morning from my house to the meeting spot for my tri club group run, then we ran 6 miles to Soldier Field to cheer on our fellow club-mates doing the SF 10-miler.  Fun morning, and I got a total of 8 miles running - only 2 miles less than the racers!

Sunday was Bike the Drive.  I'd hoped to get in 50+ miles during the 3.5hrs they had Lake Shore Drive dedicated for bikes, but I slept in and only had access to the Drive for 2.5 hrs before they kicked all the bikers off to let cars back on.  So I only got in 36 miles, but still had a fun time!  Sunday night, my running friends did a running bar crawl, where we ran from bar to bar and took a shot at each bar.  We ended up doing 7.3 miles, but I ran to/from the start as well so my total mileage that night was 9.3 miles/8 bars/a lot of alcohol.

Yesterday, I was hoping to swim & go to yoga, but I forgot they changed the gym hours for memorial day, so I wasn't able to do either of those things   Luckily I was still able to lift since my lifting buddy has a home gym.

This morning I got my first open water swim in of the season!  The lake was beautiful, warm, and calm today!  I only did a 1/2 mile though because my wetsuit felt really restrictive.  I'm sure it'll loosen up after a few more swims, though.

Sounds like a fun weekend!  Could you still run by the end of the bar run? I'm thinking 8 shots would do me in
2010-06-01 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Question for the group --- if you really suck at hills on the bike what would you do to get better (I do on the run too, but am not going to push the run, just happy I am running)?  How often would you do hills each week?  For how long?
2010-06-01 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Got another questions for garmin watch users --- is there any way when you download you activity to your computer to get how many climbing feet you did?  I wore the watch on a bike ride on Saturday and was wondering how many climbing feet I did in total.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 46