BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-05-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2851382

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Both race reports were very entertaining to read.  Good job on those and in your races!

2010-05-11 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Master
WooooHooooo *** GO Dineen !!!
2010-05-12 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
You two are awesome.  I'm so bummed that I don't have any big races until June. 

Now tell me if I'm crazy.  I've been looking at my training volume and current goals and realized I could probably complete a HIM by the end of the season.  I can already do the swim distances comfortably.  I've done up to 40 miles on the bike already, which still needs some work but is easily doable.  My longest run so far has been just about 9 miles and I've been ramping up for a half mary in August so I should be able to get that as well.

I've done one sprint so far.  I want to do an Oly in July.  Am I overreaching to think I could do a HIM in September?  There's one in Lake Geneva that has fewer than 200 people but includes something like 4000ft of climbing on the run.  What do you all think?
2010-05-12 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2853911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
thndrcloud - 2010-05-12 11:12 AM You two are awesome.  I'm so bummed that I don't have any big races until June. 

Now tell me if I'm crazy.  I've been looking at my training volume and current goals and realized I could probably complete a HIM by the end of the season.  I can already do the swim distances comfortably.  I've done up to 40 miles on the bike already, which still needs some work but is easily doable.  My longest run so far has been just about 9 miles and I've been ramping up for a half mary in August so I should be able to get that as well.

I've done one sprint so far.  I want to do an Oly in July.  Am I overreaching to think I could do a HIM in September?  There's one in Lake Geneva that has fewer than 200 people but includes something like 4000ft of climbing on the run.  What do you all think?

I am no expert but as long as you have sufficient time after the half mary to recover I would say go for it, esp if you are able to do the Oly in July as a gauge of where you stand fitness wise.  How many weeks are in between the half mary and the HIM you are considering?  How difficult is the course for the HIM?  Is is similar to the terrain that you currently train on?  

2010-05-13 12:17 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-05-12 11:12 AM You two are awesome.  I'm so bummed that I don't have any big races until June. 

I've done the LG sprint (my only triathlon to date)...The bike is not terrible, lots of rollers to get going fast...I don't think the 1/2 extreme course finds any extraordinary hills.  The run has an awful hill and a few awful-ish hills, but I can't remember if you have to do them twice or not for the 1/2.  Let me look at the course and I'll re-post.  I am certain you could do a HIM, and I don't think this course is so awful that it is prohibitive to you. 

Have you read any race reports on this race?  Some people don't like the RD, but others think it's no big deal.  YMMV.

2010-05-13 8:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-05-13 1:12 AM You two are awesome.  I'm so bummed that I don't have any big races until June. 

thndrcloud - 2010-05-13 1:12 AM You two are awesome.  I'm so bummed that I don't have any big races until June. 

Of course you're crazy. You're a triathlete; moreover, you're on BT; moreover, you're a Manatee. WELL, now that that's out of the way ...

I'm all for taking on ridiculous challenges provided that you have no expectations and that you have a hope of finishing the race within the time limits without injury to yourself.

4000ft is a LOT of climbing. Are you doing hill training for the half-mary? If not, are you a fast enough runner that you could MASSIVELY slow down on the HIM run and still finish?

How close is the half-mary to the HIM, and is the half-mary an "A" or all-out race? Or is it fun-n-finish?

I tend to fall (probably too much) on the side of DO IT DO IT DO IT (whatever "it" is). Mainly because just taking on the challenge, whether you get to the race or not, whether you finish it or not, brings you so many amazing worthwhile gifts.

I also think most people can pretty much do anything provided they do it slowly enough. As I said, though, the question is whether it's going to be fast enough for the race time limits and whether you're okay with not making them if it comes to that.

2010-05-13 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I don't see anything anywhere on the race site about time limits.  This isn't an mdot race so maybe they don't have cutoffs?  If I do that HIM I may end up not doing the half mary but if I do both they would be 4 weeks apart. 

I feel like I could do it although I think I'd be looking at coming in around 6:30.  Plus, I'm tired of hearing my friend's husband saying crap about how anyone can do a "short" triathlon as long as they don't drown on the swim.  Stupid fat jerk won't even put his money where his mouth is. 

Anyway, I think I'm going to start loosely following a HIM training plan and see where I am after I finish the Oly in July.  If all feels/looks good I'll register.
2010-05-13 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Good Morning Manatees!!

Allison - I know exactly how you feel when people say things about "short" triathlons and how that would be easy and anybody could do it.  It is so frustrating.  Of course, those people would never get out and do any length of tri.  If they did, they would see how much hard work we are putting in to it.  I have done sprints and an Oly.  I do want to do a HIM sometime.  When?  I am not sure.  I think I could do one at the end of this season.  Looking at your logs, I know you could do one!  Please don't take this the wrong way, but just do it when you want and when you feel ready, not to prove a point to someone else.  Although that is tempting - just to rub his face in it.  Maybe ask him to come along on a training ride or run??  Laughing  Do it for yourself!  I think that following the HIM training plan is a great idea and will give you an idea of how you stand with the training level and volume.  Whatever you decide, you know that we will be here to support you the entire way!!!

Dineen - noticed the new avatar picture - is that you?  You have great legs!!!!

My swim this morning was so frustrating.  How do you remember everything?  The past few swims I have been concentrating on pulling, and felt like it was actually going well, and I was faster.  This morning I was trying to concentrate on my kick and I kept finding that I would forget the things I had learned about my arms.  There is just too much to remember and put all together!!  ARG!!

Have a great day everyone.  I am hoping that the rain will stop sometime soon here.  It has rained every day for a week, and isn't actually supposed to stop for a while.  I am getting tired of riding inside!!

Karen
2010-05-13 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Allison, I don't feel qualified to advise you on the HIM, but I will say you are not crazy.  If you think you have and will have the training volume, I think it is a fine goal! 

Karen, thanks for noticing -- yes, those are my legs!  After the tri on Sunday, we went out to brunch and that is what I wore.  Why I thought it was a good idea to pack heeled sandals for wearing after a triathlon, I am not sure, but there it is.  In any event, my friends I had raced with were agog at how good my legs looked in that outfit, which was hugely flattering.  My husband is always agog, but I figured he was just biased, haha.  In any event, he snapped that shot wanting to capture the race marking (hard to see in the avatar, but obvious in the full size photo) and it turns out it is my favorite pic from the whole weekend:  just makes me feel strong and beautiful.  Now, to make the rest of my body match!

This week has been a terrible training bust, ugh.  Work is kicking my butt big time (including, I have to fly to another part of the state for a work thing tomorrow, 6:45am flight) and I haven't done a thing.  I am supposed to race this Sat, and I will go, but it won't be all that much with no base whatsoever this week.  Next week I will get back on track, I hope.
2010-05-13 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Allison...Go for it!  If you think you can, you can.  Be sure you do it for you

I've got an itch to do a HIM as well.  I know I can do the swim, it's the swim training that bores me to tears.  The ride shouldn't be a problem, I can comfortably ride 50-60 miles.  I did a full mary in March, I would just have to put running back into my training.  It's kind of slipped lately. 

I have a question about riding shorts.  I have a couple of pair that I switch back and forth between.  With the longer rides these last few weeks, my ummm parts are not always comfortable (during and after the ride).  My seat is a Terry Butterfly, and it has always been fairly comfortable.  It seems that they are just getting back to normal, the it's time for another long ride.  Is this normal?  It's not tons of pain or anything, just uncomfortable at times. 
2010-05-13 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Why does this thread run off to the right so far sometimes?
Am I the only one seeing this?

2010-05-13 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2856013

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
dinabean - 2010-05-13 9:35 AM  

This week has been a terrible training bust, ugh.  Work is kicking my butt big time (including, I have to fly to another part of the state for a work thing tomorrow, 6:45am flight) and I haven't done a thing.  I am supposed to race this Sat, and I will go, but it won't be all that much with no base whatsoever this week.  Next week I will get back on track, I hope.

Wait!  NO!  You just did a race that you trained and trained for.  One week is not going to blow your fitness, in fact, resting a lot more than a normal training week was probably necessary before the 5k.  Go out and run it...you may be surprised at how fast and strong you are!  Just my 2.5 cents...
2010-05-13 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Dineen - your legs are hawt in that pic!  Show 'um off gurl-friend!
2010-05-13 11:15 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Hi Manatees!

I'm stuck in my ankle brace until the 29th. I'm supposed to be staying off the ankle completely, but that's only working so well. Then I was told to "ease" back into things once I'm allowed out of the brace. I pretty much overstretched every bit of connective tissue, so there's a lot that needs to get back in place. *sigh* I have no idea when I can start training or dancing again like I was.

On a positive (and unrelated) note, I got a new job. I've been profoundly unhappy in my current job for the better part of a year. I got the offer yesterday and my first day is the 24th. I'd already planned a beach trip next week, so I'm just going to take the whole week off and start my new job refreshed.

I hope everyone's training is going well. I'll probably be less active between my vacation and starting the new job.
2010-05-13 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Sorry to hear the ankle is going to take longer than expected.  Hmmmm, sounds like a set of pull bouys and a pool is about your only option.  No stress on the ankle that way.

Congrats on the new job and have fun at the beach 
2010-05-13 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Geeeez, when are we going to start a new page???
The uber stretchy page is driving me crazy!!

2010-05-13 2:01 PM

User image

Master
ChaChing
2010-05-13 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2856419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Sorry to hear about your ankle Emily...that really stinks.  But it's better to stay off of it in the short-term than risk further injury in which you would have to stay off of it for even longer. But it's still frustrating.
Congrats on the new job though...that's really exciting.  I did the same thing before I took my current job (took 1 week off to vacation in between jobs). It was wonderful just to celebrate and relax during that week.
2010-05-13 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Alrighty boy and girls,

I'm off to Baghdad by the Bay...I don't know how much connectivity I'll have, but I'll definitely try to check in while we're out there.   Stand by for some fun pix and race report...

Got my Saturday swim in today and will run at least 2x and bike 1x while we are out there.  

Wish me luck.  Happy racing to everyone with an event this w.e.

Heart,
2010-05-13 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Emily, major bummer about your ankle.  As hard as it is, be patient now so that you are not out of commission all summer!  Congrats on the new job, though.

Thanks for all the kind words about my race.  Makin' me blush.  =)

Lynn, I keep meaning to say -- you look so much like my sister in your new avatar that every time I see it I think it's Keri talking.  Love it!

2010-05-14 12:07 AM
in reply to: #2857987

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good luck Quincy!! Have fun!

Sorry about your ankle Emily. Good time to practice swimming? And, good for you on the job. Hope the transition goes smoothly.

TGIF everyone (well almost). It's still Thursday night as I write this west coast time.

Anyone else racing this weekend? If not, want to do a sound off on your training plans?

I'm running and swimming tomorrow, taking a hike in the mountains on Saturday and running in the mountains on Sunday.

Edited by lmscozz 2010-05-14 12:08 AM

2010-05-14 5:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
HAve fun, Q!

Lynn, sounds like a good plan.

My plan is to survive the weekend.    I am at the airport for a 6:40 am flight right now, and will be back, if all goes well, at 3:30pm. I am EXHAUSTED -- was barely able to make the drive here without nodding off.  Don't know how I am going to be up for the argument I havfe to make in 3 hours.  Assuming i get through today, I will race a 5K Sat. at 7 am, then take the boys to their 9 am soccer practice, and then collapse.  Sunday, we'll go to the IL's house and swim in their pool.  They live on a lake, actually, and I've been wanting to try a swim in the lake for OWS practice, but that might not happen this weekend.

Did I mention I am so not a morning person?  Worse, my husband is not a morning person, and he is a terrible influence.  I cannot go to bed at midnight and consistently get up at 5 to work out.  That's just not enough sleep for me!  That's mostly why this week has been terrible for me.  Hoping I handle next week better.
2010-05-14 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2857984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Good luck this weekend Quincy.  I really need a June Tri haha...I am getting jealous of all of these races even though I have a 5k next weekend and another one on the 27th.  But I need longer distances and a tri.  But a 5k is a good way to kickoff my season I suppose.

I plan on doing it all this weekend.  Bike and run tomorrow and a swim on Sunday.  Maybe throw in another run on Sunday too.
2010-05-14 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
quick check in before I head out for errands.  Good luck Quincy!  Emily sorry to hear that the ankle is still giving you trouble but I echo what others said about getting in the pool and working on the swim.  
Anyone else racing this weekend?  I have nothing officially until June 12th (an oly) but may do a 5K next weekend... still thinking about it.  

Gotta go run errands.  Happy training all!

2010-05-14 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Ryan, sign up for Pleasant Prairie on June 27.  My daughter is probably doing the kids tri on Saturday then I'll be back up for the sprint on Sunday. 

I'm trying to head out for a run before I hit the gym for today's swim but I'm waiting for the teenager's principal to call me back so I can find out what she did to warrant the message I received earlier.  Grrr.

Hubs has been sick all week after a week of late to all-night working last week.  I'm burned out and at the end of my rope.  Hoping to get a long bike and run in this weekend but we'll see how it goes.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60