BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-12 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3256274

Albany, NY
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
have been taking it abit easy the last week or so.  I've been tired and focusing on shorter quality workouts rather than volume.  Ususally not my style, but everyone in my house (3 kids, one wife..) seem to be perpetually sick and I am afraid one of thier many illnesses will catch up with me although it hasn't happened yet. 

Had a good 45 minute swim today with the first set focusing on drills and the second set just repeat 100's.  Good news is, I do feel like I am getting better at swimming...

On a separate note, I finally broke down and got a new trainer.  I got a Kurt Kinetic Pro.  I have it all set up with my bike (Cervelo S1) ready to go in the basement for tomorrow morning.  My plan is to do a 15 min warm up, 60 minute spinervals DVD (came with the KK) and 15 minute warm down.  Anyone ever do spinervals?  I have heard it can be very hard.  I've done spin classes at the Y so I am assuming (possibly incorrectly..) that the DVD will be similar.  Any experience /advice on spinervals would be, as always, appreciated...

2011-01-12 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3295758

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-12 7:21 PM Anyone have a good way to make sweet potato fries???

We usually make them a little less "fry-like"... chop up the sweet potatoes in cubes, and bake them at 350* in tin foil with onion slices, extra virgin olive oil, a little butter, and some Montreal steak spice.  Bake for 20min, flip, and bake for another 20.  So good, but not exactly "fries".

I had a good recipe from Men's Health a couple years ago for sweet potato fries that were sliced like fries and shaken in a ziplock bag of cinnamon and olive oil (maybe garlic as well) before baking.  Also, very good!
2011-01-12 9:04 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Okay so my issue with the sweet potato fries is this.  I basically have put some ex virg olive oil and cayenne pepper and basted them on a cookie sheet.  I cooked them 30-35 mins at 375.  They were just sort of mushy.  How do I get that crispy shell on them?  AND WHY ARE THEY STICKING TO THE TIN FOIL WITH OLIVE OIL ON THEM!!!?!??  I swear I'm not lost in the kitchen and this annoys the hell out of me.

I may also be a little irritable because the pool is closed because of the snow. 

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2011-01-12 9:05 PM
2011-01-12 9:14 PM

Lancaster
1/2 lb. sweet potatoes cut like fries
1 tablespoon reduced fat parmesan
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of cayenne
pinch of pepper
salt to taste after cooking

toss them all together in a bowl and cook at 450.  bake for about 8 minutes, flip and bake another 10-12.  I cook them on a baking stone so they crisp a lot better.  If they are still mushy, I'll turn on the broiler and let them crisp up but pay close attention as the broiler doesn't take long to from crisp to burnt. 

That is for one serving so adjust the amounts accordingly for however many people are eating. 

Per serving: 249 calories, 5g protein, 49g carb, 4g fat, 7g fiber
2011-01-12 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
so far, my sweet potato fries have either been mushy or burnt, so I just err on the side of mushy
2011-01-13 12:20 AM

User image

I found out that the way to hide your minor errors in the kitchen is to learn to eat so fast you can barely taste or feel the texture of your food.

2011-01-13 1:15 AM
in reply to: #3296321

User image

Regular
Augusta
tri808 - 2011-01-13 12:20 AM I found out that the way to hide your minor errors in the kitchen is to learn to eat so fast you can barely taste or feel the texture of your food.

You military as well or something?    That's something that's ingrained in all Soldiers...eat fast, cause you never know when the time to stop is...or when your next meal will be.
2011-01-13 5:05 AM

User image

I am looking into what kind of mileage/yardage is appropriate for each discipline based on doing exclusively sprint events for 2011.

What sort of mileage on the bike, road, swim yards are people doing?  Percentages?

2011-01-13 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3295746

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
silentcs42 - 2011-01-12 6:14 PM Nice job Deb!

I find that the wind is the killer outside as well.  If it's too windy, I'll hit the TM.  But then again, this is only my first year outdoor running in MN.  Maybe I'll toughen up next year!

I don't know if it's a matter of toughing up or an additional year to acquire cold weather gear!  Figuring out what works for you and getting it makes so much difference.
2011-01-13 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3295758

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-12 6:21 PM Anyone have a good way to make sweet potato fries???

I slice them like steak fries and season them (I use Penzey's black and red) and bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes.  I turn them over half way through.

DH and I go to a lot of Carolina Hurricane's games and this is one of our go-to game night sides.  I love them and don't feel like I'm missing a thing when people come in with their food from the vendors at the game.
2011-01-13 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3296161

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-12 10:14 PM 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes cut like fries
1 tablespoon reduced fat parmesan
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of cayenne
pinch of pepper
salt to taste after cooking

toss them all together in a bowl and cook at 450.  bake for about 8 minutes, flip and bake another 10-12.  I cook them on a baking stone so they crisp a lot better.  If they are still mushy, I'll turn on the broiler and let them crisp up but pay close attention as the broiler doesn't take long to from crisp to burnt. 

That is for one serving so adjust the amounts accordingly for however many people are eating. 

Per serving: 249 calories, 5g protein, 49g carb, 4g fat, 7g fiber

I am on it.  Thanks B.J.  Will let you know how they come out.

2011-01-13 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3296144

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-12 10:04 PM Okay so my issue with the sweet potato fries is this.  I basically have put some ex virg olive oil and cayenne pepper and basted them on a cookie sheet.  I cooked them 30-35 mins at 375.  They were just sort of mushy.  How do I get that crispy shell on them?  AND WHY ARE THEY STICKING TO THE TIN FOIL WITH OLIVE OIL ON THEM!!!?!??  I swear I'm not lost in the kitchen and this annoys the hell out of me.

I may also be a little irritable because the pool is closed because of the snow. 

It's probably the temperature.  I'd go 425-450.

I just use Pam type spray on the foil.  Wash potato.  Slice potato.  Foil + nonstick stray.  Place potato slices on the tray (not touching) and season (make sure all the skins are down when you season).  Bake.  Turn potatoes half way through.
2011-01-13 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3296569

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
I'm looking for suggestions on developing a more propulsive kick.  I'm kind of working under the assuming that more time kicking with the kickboard is the answer -- kind of like hill repeats on the bike help with hills.   Am I on the right track?
2011-01-13 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
PA

Okay so the plan for today/tonight is to push my run to 40 minutes-- I have done 4 solid 30 minute runs in the past week. I am feeling good and motivated and I have found some pleasure in my running again…….Laughing

2011-01-13 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3296579

Lancaster
jmkizer - 2011-01-13 9:09 AM I'm looking for suggestions on developing a more propulsive kick.  I'm kind of working under the assuming that more time kicking with the kickboard is the answer -- kind of like hill repeats on the bike help with hills.   Am I on the right track?

As with anything, I would say the old practice makes perfect would hold true with this as well so you are on the right track.  I would suggest working on your form first and make sure it is good so you are not continually drilling bad habits that will reduce your progress.  It's hard to know if you are doing it right without being able to see yourself obviously, but if you have a training partner or somebody that can watch, that will help you a lot in making sure your form is good.  Proper form alone will help your kick a lot and keep you from feeling like you are struggling and wasting energy, but the time on the kickboard after you establish good form is likely where you are going to improve your power and propulsion. 

Here is a decent video that shows some good angles.  Not sure how to embed but here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZ5-oatDg8&feature=related
2011-01-13 8:55 AM

User image

Fall River, WI
What a rough morning working out.  Not sure if it was the fact that I swam right before my run instead of after like I always have in the past, or all the homebrews I "tested" last night.  Probably a combination of both.  Either way I sure did have a lot of quit in me today, but I fought through it and finished everything I was scheduled to do.  Now it's nap time.

2011-01-13 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3296639

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-13 9:37 AM
jmkizer - 2011-01-13 9:09 AM I'm looking for suggestions on developing a more propulsive kick.  I'm kind of working under the assuming that more time kicking with the kickboard is the answer -- kind of like hill repeats on the bike help with hills.   Am I on the right track?

As with anything, I would say the old practice makes perfect would hold true with this as well so you are on the right track.  I would suggest working on your form first and make sure it is good so you are not continually drilling bad habits that will reduce your progress.

Thanks!  I'm relatively new to swimming -- I had the not drowning thing down but only started to swim real freestyle about two years ago.  I took classes two years ago, set it aside due to my back acting up and I had some rides coming up.  I want to get into tris and last winter I started taking private lessons.  It took a loonnnggg time for me to get kick to be OK in terms of knees being straight.  Then we focused on my pull and now we are back to my kick.  I guess more than anything I'm looking for encouragement to keep this kickboard stuff up. 

I'll check out the video tonight.  Thanks again!
2011-01-13 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Dave I seem to be having some troubles on my trainer this winter so far. I can't figure out what is going on and maybe you can offer some insight. First the main problem for me is that my quads seem to be overloaded every ride whenever I up the tempo, or get into a gear higher then 53/19, and I'm usually around a 85-95 rpm cadance. I didn't do much biking after IMWI this fall, but do not think that a loss in my cycling fitness is the problem. Second I have tooled a bit with my fit and my seatpost has changed some positions but now I have it back into the same position as I had it all summer. Thirdly I switched from my Specialized Avater Gel saddle to the ISM Adamo saddle. I feel this may be the issue at hand since it is such a unique saddle, but can't figure out why a saddle would cause my quads to feel the way that they do. Did an hour ride yesterday and when I did my 3x5 minute inervals my quads started to really feel like they were building up lactic acid. I know trainers are hard, but I have had many similiar and harder rides in winters past and never encoutered this problem. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
2011-01-13 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3296827

User image

Champion
jonathan,

sounds like you are just not cooking them hot enough. 400-475 depending on your oven and time will range from 20-40min depending on again how large the oven is/how big the cuts are.

For stove top its easy to get larger steak type fries. No stick pan, little olive oil (you dont need much), put them in on med-high head and put a lid on to start with, keep stiring them every few min as they will start to burn if you dont, but this will get you some nice crispy ones on the outside.
2011-01-13 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
chasingkona - 2011-01-13 8:39 AM

Dave I seem to be having some troubles on my trainer this winter so far. I can't figure out what is going on and maybe you can offer some insight. First the main problem for me is that my quads seem to be overloaded every ride whenever I up the tempo, or get into a gear higher then 53/19, and I'm usually around a 85-95 rpm cadance. I didn't do much biking after IMWI this fall, but do not think that a loss in my cycling fitness is the problem. Second I have tooled a bit with my fit and my seatpost has changed some positions but now I have it back into the same position as I had it all summer. Thirdly I switched from my Specialized Avater Gel saddle to the ISM Adamo saddle. I feel this may be the issue at hand since it is such a unique saddle, but can't figure out why a saddle would cause my quads to feel the way that they do. Did an hour ride yesterday and when I did my 3x5 minute inervals my quads started to really feel like they were building up lactic acid. I know trainers are hard, but I have had many similiar and harder rides in winters past and never encoutered this problem. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Few things might be going on here (or all of them).

you may have adjusted the fit a bit when you switched saddles. Have you rode outside on this one at all?

maybe back off the trainer resistence a bit, could just be set too high and/or you are in a harder gear than you should

slow down a bit, you are trying to ride harder than fitness is allowing

mental, you dont want to be riding inside to start with

-You might need some rest/better diet (sorry logs are not loading for some reason right now for me, cant check recent training).
2011-01-13 10:08 AM

User image

Fall River, WI
We switch between 2 bikes on our trainer and I can tell if there is more tension that the last time I rode right away.  I had also forgot to pump up the tire for a while and that made a big difference as well.  For a week or so I was riding on 20psi.  There was a lot more tire contact with the roller.

2011-01-13 10:44 AM

User image

chasingkona - 2011-01-13 4:39 AM Dave I seem to be having some troubles on my trainer this winter so far. I can't figure out what is going on and maybe you can offer some insight. First the main problem for me is that my quads seem to be overloaded every ride whenever I up the tempo, or get into a gear higher then 53/19, and I'm usually around a 85-95 rpm cadance. I didn't do much biking after IMWI this fall, but do not think that a loss in my cycling fitness is the problem. Second I have tooled a bit with my fit and my seatpost has changed some positions but now I have it back into the same position as I had it all summer. Thirdly I switched from my Specialized Avater Gel saddle to the ISM Adamo saddle. I feel this may be the issue at hand since it is such a unique saddle, but can't figure out why a saddle would cause my quads to feel the way that they do. Did an hour ride yesterday and when I did my 3x5 minute inervals my quads started to really feel like they were building up lactic acid. I know trainers are hard, but I have had many similiar and harder rides in winters past and never encoutered this problem. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

It took me about 4-5 sessions on the trainer just to get used to it again this winter.  At first, I was having trouble just getting through the warmups...but now the workouts seem much more manageable.  Could be that your legs/quads just needs to get used to the trainer and the fact that you can't coast or soft pedal.
2011-01-13 10:56 AM

User image

chasingkona - 2011-01-13 9:39 AM Dave I seem to be having some troubles on my trainer this winter so far. I can't figure out what is going on and maybe you can offer some insight. First the main problem for me is that my quads seem to be overloaded every ride whenever I up the tempo, or get into a gear higher then 53/19, and I'm usually around a 85-95 rpm cadance. I didn't do much biking after IMWI this fall, but do not think that a loss in my cycling fitness is the problem. Second I have tooled a bit with my fit and my seatpost has changed some positions but now I have it back into the same position as I had it all summer. Thirdly I switched from my Specialized Avater Gel saddle to the ISM Adamo saddle. I feel this may be the issue at hand since it is such a unique saddle, but can't figure out why a saddle would cause my quads to feel the way that they do. Did an hour ride yesterday and when I did my 3x5 minute inervals my quads started to really feel like they were building up lactic acid. I know trainers are hard, but I have had many similiar and harder rides in winters past and never encoutered this problem. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Changing to the Adamo also requires that you adjust the saddle fore/aft positioning as this saddle is much shorter than your average road saddle.  Also this saddle is designed to work best with the rails angled slightly down ( which puts the saddle level ).  Both of these could affect your riding with this saddle. 
2011-01-13 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
So, this morning I completed a 6km (3.7mi) run in -27c (-16f).  If I ever start whining about not wanting to train, remind me that I possess the ability to HTFU.

Having said that, it was too cold.  Yesterday, not so bad.  Today, I needed warmer clothing and I'm not willing to buy another pair or running tights this year because I don't plan to fit them by next winter.

I think my cut off might be a few degrees warmer then what I ran in today.

I also did 35 minutes on the bike trainer last night.  It was the first one in a long time that I really really did not feel like doing.  I don't know what was wrong with me.  My cadence sensor is out of adjustment so it wasn't giving me a reading (I know how to fix it; just have to do it.)  I almost called it quits out of frustration.  In the end, I did it, but it was honestly a mental battle the whole time.

Also thanks for all the tips on sweet potato fries!  I gave up on them a while ago as I have the same problem with them being either mushy or burnt.  Maybe I'll give it another go.  I loooove sweet potatoes.
2011-01-13 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
For those of us who ride the trainer 6 months out of the year, it's a bit easier, but I know exactly what you guys are talking about.  And I also think it's partly mental.  There's nothing good to look at and you are forced to sit on a bike that doesn't move side to side.  It's good for you though.  My dad tells me it builds character.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57