BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-03-06 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3384560

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-03-05 11:04 PM

Dixbry - congrats on the testing and time with the swim coach!  You are going to have an amazing season!

Thanks.  Congrats on your first race of the season!

I having fun stepping up my training.  I feel like I am so much further ahead than I was last year when the season started.  

2011-03-07 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3384692

User image

Veteran

Congrats on your first pro race, Andrew! I got nervous just reading your post (seriously)!  Dixbry - thanks for the info. Ben - Can't wait to ride bikes with you :D

I am getting better from the flu but some days I have nothing in the tank. Yesterday was one of those days. Mentally - this has been very tough.  However, I'm going to keep on keeping on.  I'm supposed to do strength stuff today and my weight area is flooded That's what lunges and crunches are for, I guess.  Also, another friend wants to join me for the swim on Tuesday as a social thing and I already am worried about not getting the workout I am used to. I think I need to bite the bullet, balance life and enjoy the social swim (and see it as a light entry back into working out while my body kicks the last of this dern flu).

I came to work early today, only to find out there's a two hour delay today! I think I'll sleep on my classroom couch for a few minutes.  Have a great week, everyone

2011-03-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3386001

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
gcoller - 2011-03-07 9:40 AM

Congrats on your first pro race, Andrew! I got nervous just reading your post (seriously)!  Dixbry - thanks for the info. Ben - Can't wait to ride bikes with you :D

I am getting better from the flu but some days I have nothing in the tank. Yesterday was one of those days. Mentally - this has been very tough.  However, I'm going to keep on keeping on.  I'm supposed to do strength stuff today and my weight area is flooded That's what lunges and crunches are for, I guess.  Also, another friend wants to join me for the swim on Tuesday as a social thing and I already am worried about not getting the workout I am used to. I think I need to bite the bullet, balance life and enjoy the social swim (and see it as a light entry back into working out while my body kicks the last of this dern flu).

I came to work early today, only to find out there's a two hour delay today! I think I'll sleep on my classroom couch for a few minutes.  Have a great week, everyone

Yea, swimming with someone can definitely mess up your workout.  Is there anyway you can do the same workout, and have quick chats between sets?  I've never gone for a social swim, but have gotten caught up in conversation between sets, and before I know it, 5 minutes has gone by and i'm completely rested, not what I wanted.  but if you can at least do the same sets, or even if you know how long each set will take you, tell the person to swim for 5 minutes(if that's how long your set is) then break and chat for a minute then.  Just a thought?

2011-03-08 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3257746

Ordered my garmin 305 today!!! I am pretty stoked. I will be in Dallas this weekend and hope to try it out down there. It will be a new environment and I wont have any trails mapped out, so it will be a run around to hit a certain mileage. Should be a bit different.

-Doug

2011-03-08 10:32 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
So question for everyone. I am doing my first sprint on May15th. I don't have an open water place to try wetsuit, would it be a big deal to try it in my local pool? Any advice would be great, don't want to ruin my new suit, but would like to get a feel for the fit.
2011-03-09 5:08 AM
in reply to: #3389496

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

bledsoepatriot - 2011-03-08 11:32 PM So question for everyone. I am doing my first sprint on May15th. I don't have an open water place to try wetsuit, would it be a big deal to try it in my local pool? Any advice would be great, don't want to ruin my new suit, but would like to get a feel for the fit.

I have done that before :-)   And it should not hurt your wetsuit at all, as long as you rinse it off very well after getting out of the pool.  Leaving the chorine on the wetsuit would not be good for it.  Swimming with a wetsuit is a completely different feel than swimming without one.  My first time with a wetsuit, was just odd.  And you do not want that to happen on race day.  The neck is a little restricting, so I had to get used to that, not to mention the fact that it makes your legs really stay at the surface of the water, so if you kick, your feet practically come out of the water.  

2011-03-09 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3389496

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

bledsoepatriot - 2011-03-08 11:32 PM So question for everyone. I am doing my first sprint on May15th. I don't have an open water place to try wetsuit, would it be a big deal to try it in my local pool? Any advice would be great, don't want to ruin my new suit, but would like to get a feel for the fit.

Not a big deal. Most companies will ask you to do that right away to make sure it fits.  One time isn't going to hurt it.  Just don't make a habit of it as the chlorine will destroy it in time.

Like Dixbry said, it is a weird feeling swimming in it for the first time.  I did just that and did my first open water swim for my first/only half ironman.  One more thing...I'm tall, 6'4", so don't know if that's the case for you, but i had some serious issues with the length of the torso.  Basically the shoulders  were stretched pretty far up...which caused other area's of the suit to be pulled pretty far up....a very unpleasant feeling for a guy...and i believe the pain manifested itself during the run. again if you're not tall, not an issue, but if you are...make sure the torso is long enough!

Edited by RookieIM 2011-03-09 8:11 AM
2011-03-09 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3389746

User image

Veteran

Bledsopatriot - I also feel like the wetsuits feel VERY different, but perhaps you could also get to your race early and do your warm up in the water with your suit to help with this?

Today felt like a big deal to me. I ran for the first time in three weeks and three days. Between the flu and migraines and scheduling, I suffered the longest separation from running I have had to deal with since I started in 2008! I even had to cancel my much-anticipated swim last night because of a debilitating migraine.  The run went well...it felt hard but it sure did cheer me up.  It was a mere 1.7 miles but I'm STILL not feeling 100% from the flu OR the migraine and hey, it's a start (back).  

2011-03-12 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3390699

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA

Hey gang!  Sorry for the radio silence for the past few days.  Things have been CRAZY at work.  I'm actually packing for a two-week trip all over the U.S. for our upcoming Gatorade shoots.  While working with the best athletes in the world is an amazing experience, the travels and schedule really put a dent into my own training.  It will be a matter of pushing through the lack of sleep, long days, etc. and forcing myself to jump on the treadmill or find a pool.  

This is basically my way of begging for you to keep me on track.  

How is everyone's training going?  We are getting into the heavy racing season.  So excited to follow all of you!  We've had some great race recaps so far, and I'm looking forward to more.

Drew 

2011-03-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3395196

User image

New user

Greenville, SC

Drew, congrats on your first Pro race.  Sorry it has taken so long for the congrats.  What cities are on your upcoming trip? Hope you have a safe trip.

My training has been going well. I have two weeks left until my first race of the season. I am pumped up and ready to go. The weather is great this weekend in Greenville, SC, 70 and sunny. It make training a lot easier.

Tom

2011-03-13 9:48 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Ok, tried the wetsuit at pool. I did rise well. What a difference! Had plenty of movement, was amazed at how buoyant I was especially my legs. I have had an amazing training week. Working with a coach has been pushing me to new limits. I will try and get all my workouts entered into my logs. I have been building a base and feel confident that I will finish my first sprint in May. On a side note I was googling some tri stuff and happened upon microspawn blog. Small world.

2011-03-14 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry I have been out of pocket as well.

My training is starting to come back around after the bike crash. I feel like I am starting to hit my sessions again. I have a great weekend with the bike and the run. The back is still hurting on runs of about 10 miles. But I am getting stronger.
2011-03-16 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Let's get this back on the front page.

Me, I am getting back to myself. The run and bike are coming around and I have been in the pool twice this week!

Boston is in 5 weeks and although I will not race the marathon I am excited about the trip!
2011-03-18 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3383892

I have been using my garmin 305 this past week and what an awesome tool.

The very first time i went out I saw its value in that it told me right away that I was running too fast, so I died back and finished my route.

This last weekend I was in Dallas and went on a run. I wanted to run between 6 and 7 miles and without knowing any area around there, this kept me on pace and accountable to my mileage. I ran 6.57 miles after a night of partying til 530am, go me!

this week I have been pulling 14-15 hour days at work, so training is put on hold til yesterday. I ran 4 miles, but in some ways it was one of my harder runs. I normally keep a 10 min per mile pace. Yesterday the winds were blowing regularly at 20 mph. Running with the wind I was running atan 8.5 minute/mile pace and at the turn around, and running into the wind, I kept a 10 minute per mile pace. I was very hapy with that run. Today, I will be on a treadmill, boo! and tomorrow I am planning on running 7.5 miles, potentially 8 depending on feel.

I am getting very excited for my race on May 1st. This will be my first competitive (fill in blank here) for over 2 years.

Question for you all, have you ever had custom orthodics made for running shoes? I was told that I needed them due to my foot's bone structure. I can hardly use them just walking around. I can't imagine running in them, let alone running for a long distance in them.

Any thoughts?

2011-03-18 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3403347

User image

Veteran
loper245 - 2011-03-18 9:27 AM

I have been using my garmin 305 this past week and what an awesome tool.

The very first time i went out I saw its value in that it told me right away that I was running too fast, so I died back and finished my route.

This last weekend I was in Dallas and went on a run. I wanted to run between 6 and 7 miles and without knowing any area around there, this kept me on pace and accountable to my mileage. I ran 6.57 miles after a night of partying til 530am, go me!

this week I have been pulling 14-15 hour days at work, so training is put on hold til yesterday. I ran 4 miles, but in some ways it was one of my harder runs. I normally keep a 10 min per mile pace. Yesterday the winds were blowing regularly at 20 mph. Running with the wind I was running atan 8.5 minute/mile pace and at the turn around, and running into the wind, I kept a 10 minute per mile pace. I was very hapy with that run. Today, I will be on a treadmill, boo! and tomorrow I am planning on running 7.5 miles, potentially 8 depending on feel.

I am getting very excited for my race on May 1st. This will be my first competitive (fill in blank here) for over 2 years.

Question for you all, have you ever had custom orthodics made for running shoes? I was told that I needed them due to my foot's bone structure. I can hardly use them just walking around. I can't imagine running in them, let alone running for a long distance in them.

Any thoughts?

Awesome job with the running and pacing! I have nearly-custom orthodics and was told that if they feel funny they may not be right - they felt weird at first but now I use them all the time. Beware of reading Born to Run...awesome book but you will question your orthodics I know I am...it may be worth giving the place you got them a call?

In other news, I am knocking on wood but I've felt pretty healthy all week. I've gotten a few workouts in and I feel pretty close to where I was when I had to pause for the flu and migraines. I'm doing 40 minute workouts of each discipline (sbr) and 2 strength (short ones) workouts.  It's going well so far, but off I go this weekend to a skiing trip in Maine. I brought all of my workout gear as well since there is a facility there. I don't ski and I have a fear of the state of Maine, so hopefully I'll come back in one piece.

2011-03-18 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

TGIF everyone!  It is race weekend for me.  Shamrock 1/2 marathon is Sunday!  It is beautiful weather here in Virginia.  Makes me even more on cloud nine.  I LOVE race time.  I get a bounce in my step when it is so close.   Last week, all the allergens in the air got to me and I got a bad sinus infection.  Had a bad reaction to the first antibiotic they put me on.  It affected my joints tendons, made them hurt bad to where I felt like an 80 year old just trying to get out of bed.  Thankfully they switched me and I am doing tons better.  

My training had been very light this week since I started it off sick, and since it is race week.  Did a quick 3 mile run today to loosen the legs up.  Heading out to the expo in a couple of hours, then to dinner with friends.  Really hoping to knock the run out of the park on race day.

Did a short brick workout Wednesday.  Short bike followed by a 1.6 mile run.  I was able to avg 7:16 for the run.  That is a big improvement for me, when it comes to the run off of the bike.  

My first Tri of the season is coming up.  It is a sprint pool Tri, April 2nd.  Can't wait.  

How is everyone's training going?  

I have custom orthotics in my shoes.  I have been using them for about three years now.  I have super high arches.  Before I had the custom orthodics, my arches would hurt very badly after running.  They would colapse in some everytime I ran since they were so high.  I  have had no issues since using them.  I think there are people that swear by them and people that say they don't work.  You have to decided for yourself.  I am glad that I have mine.  I would not be able to run with out them.  And I am a RUNNER at heart :-)

Must go outside...it is so nice here.

2011-03-18 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3403498

User image

Expert
Dixbry - 2011-03-18 8:56 AM

How is everyone's training going?  

Good luck at the race this weekend!!  My training would be great if I were training for a running race...  Unfortunately I've got a Triathlon next weekend! Surprised

I have not swam in a few weeks (some sinus problems going on), and haven't biked either.  No excuse on the bike, just haven't had the motivation to get on the trainer.  And it's been too rainy to bike outside (trails are all mudded out).  My run mileage is good, and my runs feel great.  Even though I've been mostly relegated to road runs instead of trails due to the rains.

The upside, I think, is that with all the rain we've been having, and the rain forcast for next week, my triathlon (which is an Xterra sprint, so offroad) will probably be a total mudfest and survival race, so a lack of bike training won't be as apparent since we'll all be suffering and slogging through...

As a nutritional aside, I received my order from Infinit a while ago (from the 50% off sale, figured I'd try it out) and have been using it on my 1hr+ runs lately.  Seems great!  No taste issues, no gas (an occasional problem when I was using HEED), no GI issues, I feel great.  I think I'll stick with it.

2011-03-18 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3403621

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
norcal_SAHD - 2011-03-18 1:06 PM slogging through...

As a nutritional aside, I received my order from Infinit a while ago (from the 50% off sale, figured I'd try it out) and have been using it on my 1hr+ runs lately.  Seems great!  No taste issues, no gas (an occasional problem when I was using HEED), no GI issues, I feel great.  I think I'll stick with it.

I got infinit from the sale as well.  Have enjoyed it thus far.  I plan on using it for my May7th HIM.

You might be surprised that your down time might have actually helped you with the race.  Fresh legs and such.  I did nothing for a good 4 days, and when I finally could run, I nailed it.   

Thanks for the well wishes...I am so excited..

2011-03-18 7:59 PM

User image

Sunderland

I've been dealing with some sort of injury in my left foot for the past month or so and it's frustrating theout of me.  It was feeling pretty good last weekend and I was able to run (jog) 5 miles on Sunday.  It felt alright while I was running but afterwards (and for the next three days), pain.  I've been all over the internet trying to diagnose and the best I can come up with is peroneal tendonitis.  I have an appointment with a podiatrist next Wednesday.  We'll see what the experts have to say.  My guess is that he'll tell me to rest it for longer than I have been before running again.  I've been to the doctor twice in ten years so this is a pretty big step for me.

Drew - I haven't bought any paper cups yet but I made a block of ice in a Gladware container and used that to ice my foot.  It's very effective, much more so than one of those blue cold pack things from a sporting goods store.  I had a lady at running store suggest the paper cup trick as well. I thought that was cool.

Dixbry - Thanks for writing up your LT test process.  That sounds pretty involved.  When you first mentioned it, I was wondering if it was something you could do yourself but sounds pretty involved.

I brought home my new bike tonight.  I've been waiting on the pedals for a couple weeks (I'm still waiting) so one of the owners of the shop lent me his until they arrive.  I got fitted tonight and I'm really, really happy with how it went.  They made a few small adjustments and each one made me feel that much more comfortable.  Seat height and position, stem angle, cleat position, etc.  I was surprised out how much each tweak affected the feel.

The requisite pictures of the my bike:

Ben's new Specialized Roubaix

Another picture of Ben's Roubaix

I'm stoked.

2011-03-19 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

hey everybody-just catching up on the week. Been awol from the forum-great to see everyone's news....except for the sickness/ injury stuff. Hope you're able to get some good answers from the podiatrist, Ben. Your bike is AWESOME!! Glad to hear Grace and Spawn are on the mend. GOOOOO Dix!! Hope your race is awesome-I see your logs and you're a Powerhouse-I know you'll kill it!! Drew-congrats on your PRO race and good luck on the promo tour. Hope you're able to get some training in.

I have been enjoying all your comments here. It is very cool to share the excitement of triathlon with you all!

Had a 7K race last weekend through Lower Downtown Denver-Running of the Green. Super fun run with lots of costumes and revelry..and Irish Dancers/band and beer. Fun fun. I had a PR for the race distance and pacing, which was great! Next race isn't until May 1-a 5 miler and end of May a 10k. I am going to new distances with these...sounds goofy since all of you are chewing on 10 k's like snacks!! Ah well, I'll keep plugging along here working up to that Olympic distance this summer should be all the challenge I am up for....at this point anyway. I am planning 3 olys and 2 sprints.

I look forward to keeping up with you through your training and racing this spring and summer. Have a great week everyone!

Holly

2011-03-19 4:58 PM

User image

Expert

sigh...  my tooth infected again last night, I'm so swollen up i look like a squirrel with a cheek full of food... I had to go to Urgent Care this morning and am back on antibiotics and Vicodin.  I am exhausted, haven't really slept for about 2 nights now. 

On a personal brighter note, yesterday my wife got an official job offer with a new company!!  She got a layoff notice a few months ago, we've both been looking for work for a while now.  So, my days as a Stay at Home Dad will continue for a while longer. Smile

2011-03-19 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3403633

User image

Expert
Dixbry - 2011-03-18 10:12 AM

You might be surprised that your down time might have actually helped you with the race.  Fresh legs and such.  I did nothing for a good 4 days, and when I finally could run, I nailed it.   

I wish it were only 4 days.  More like 4 weeks... Surprised  I did 45 minutes on the rollers yesterday and it felt good, so I don't think I've lost much.  The bike has always been my strength, and I think all the running helps the bike a bit too.

2011-03-19 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3404320

User image

Expert
bendart - 2011-03-18 5:59 PM

I've been dealing with some sort of injury in my left foot for the past month or so and it's frustrating theout of me.  It was feeling pretty good last weekend and I was able to run (jog) 5 miles on Sunday.  It felt alright while I was running but afterwards (and for the next three days), pain.  I've been all over the internet trying to diagnose and the best I can come up with is peroneal tendonitis.  I have an appointment with a podiatrist next Wednesday.  We'll see what the experts have to say.  My guess is that he'll tell me to rest it for longer than I have been before running again.  I've been to the doctor twice in ten years so this is a pretty big step for me.

Man, I hope you are able to get it under control soon!  Injuries are so frustrating.

Love the bike, can you still ride with the foot pain?

2011-03-19 5:54 PM

User image

Sunderland

I was able to ride in the trainer during the fit with no pain.  I haven't been out on the road with it yet but I think I'll be okay.  We'll find out tomorrow when I take her on her maiden voyage.

I think my foot probably just needs more rest than I've been giving it.  Once it gets down to like a level 1 pain (meaning it's almost completely gone but I can still feel it a little bit) I go for a run and set myself back another another 4 days.  I need more patience.

Hollz - Thank You.  We need pics of your Cannondale!

Do you guys name your bikes?  I've named all of cars but never a bike.  I think I might name this one though.

2011-03-19 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3404895

User image

Sunderland
norcal_SAHD - 2011-03-19 5:58 PM

sigh...  my tooth infected again last night, I'm so swollen up i look like a squirrel with a cheek full of food... I had to go to Urgent Care this morning and am back on antibiotics and Vicodin.  I am exhausted, haven't really slept for about 2 nights now. 

On a personal brighter note, yesterday my wife got an official job offer with a new company!!  She got a layoff notice a few months ago, we've both been looking for work for a while now.  So, my days as a Stay at Home Dad will continue for a while longer. Smile

I hope your tooth gets better and your able to get some quality sleep.  Congrats on your wife getting a new job!  That's awesome.  My secret dream is to be a stay at home dad.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24