BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-10 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3490844

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
GoGoGo - 2011-05-10 4:45 AM

QOTD:

Aero position...Who has either a tri bike or aero bars on a roadie?

Are you physically comfortable in Aero? How long can you stay in Aero?  

Are your mentally comfortable in Aero?

Just a little chatting topic...

Richard

I have a TT bike so shifters on the aero bars.

I am not comfortable in aero, I have times when I can stay in aero for 10 minutes.

I like the aero position because, well, it's cool looking but it is difficult mentally because I am in so much pain.

I've been professionally fit, tried several different saddles, shorts, chamois cream, new crank, more spacers, change in seat position, cleets the list goes on and on. I have easily spent $1K just trying to get more comfortable on my bike to ZERO avail. This is my #1 most frustrating part of triathlon and the only reason over the last 2 years I have thought of throwing in the towel. The bike is pure misery for me from the time I get on until about 24 hours after I get off.

2011-05-10 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Pro
Houston

It was a crazy but wonderful weekend here. Friday night we met prom date and her parents for dinner.

Daughter #1 had a swim meet Saturday and after a short nap I took boy #1 to order his tux for prom.

Sunday we got up CRAZY early to drive across town to volunteer at an all women's tri and support my best friend. This was my very first race 2 years ago. Had a great time volunteering with my daughter and cheering my amazing friend. Came home to cards from all the kids and some gift cards from the husband. Then took a not so short nap and went out to dinner.

Monday was pretty busy - I homeschool and the girls are in a a homeschooling coop, yesterday was our last day of class so afterward we hung out at the park for a couple of hours.

Son #2 had a band solo and FFA banquet so it was a very full day.

Unfortunately there has been ZERO training the last 3 days. I will fix this today!

Wednesday the prom date is coming over for dinner.

Son #2 has another banquet Friday, daughter #1 has her first triathlon Saturday and I have a sprint tri Sunday.

Thankfully we don't have any plans Memorial weekend and I am really looking forward to that!

2011-05-10 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3490829

User image

Pro
Houston

Hubbie - 2011-05-10 2:35 AM Can we talk about swimming please? I notice how most everyone has either a trainer, a partner to train/race with, or has been doing for years. I don't fit in any of those. This is my fist year with the tri's and my first year swimming. I am reading on BT about how to increase speed by my arms and shoulders hurt after just a quarter mile. Can anyone tell me how I'm suppose to hold my arms when I swim? When I do it my way I can go an easy 1/2 mile but not very fast.

My husband learned how to swim last January, he did his first Oly in the fall and his first HIM this spring. It was very frustrating for him and swimming did not come easy. He was in the pool 3-4 times per week. He also met a few of times with a coach. The first two times he was filmed and the coach was able to show him the changes he needed to make in his technique. The last time the coach was just able to watch him swim and give him some tips to improve his speed.

I'd look into finding an instructor in your area and working on drills, drills and more drills. My husband did drills for weeks & probably months before he started swimming any distance in the pool.

Good luck!

2011-05-10 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3491329

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
KeriKadi - 2011-05-10 9:58 AM

QOTD:

Richard

I am not comfortable in aero, I have times when I can stay in aero for 10 minutes.

I like the aero position because, well, it's cool looking but it is difficult mentally because I am in so much pain.

I've been professionally fit, tried several different saddles, shorts, chamois cream, new crank, more spacers, change in seat position, cleets the list goes on and on. I have easily spent $1K just trying to get more comfortable on my bike to ZERO avail. This is my #1 most frustrating part of triathlon and the only reason over the last 2 years I have thought of throwing in the towel. The bike is pure misery for me from the time I get on until about 24 hours after I get off.

I feel your pain.  I built up my Tt bike, an Orbea Oru, then suffered ...12.5 miles were fine.  But felt like I was gasping for breath.  Pain settled in by mile 22.  Hurt anything over 25.   Went for a "pro" bike fit and came out no different.

Then I started to read.  The message from the professionals was that you cannot hammer a bike race when you are in pain.  There must be a meeting of the two goals. 1. Pain free and 2. aero as possible (see 1.)   So I went to another bike fitter who is a friend of mine and told him that I wanted to be raised up in the front.  No BS.  Up.  He raised me a lot.  And I did a 56 mile half IM pain free.  This is supposed to be fun.  I have averaged just under 23 mph with the new setup,.  I'm good with that.   And I look forward to the ride now instead of dreading it.  

Going to get the TT bike out and start to ride it on Sundays.   First race is three weeks from Saturday.  Sprint.  Will hammer that sucker. 

2011-05-10 2:58 PM

User image

Regular

QOTD:

Richard

I started with a roadie with aero bars, I had to shorten the stem and a couple other minor adjustments to make it comfortable.  Also played a lot with the saddle, to me a tri saddle is important because of where you sit.  I couldn't stand aero for more then 10 miles  on a road saddle.  Since then I have changed my roadie back to a road bike and have been riding a cannondale slice and I love it.  The huge thing on tri bike fitting is finding a tri bike that has the right geometry thats fits you.  Now I prefer aero positio, maybe that is from all of the trainer rides playing video games in aero hhahaha...

2011-05-10 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3490842

User image

Veteran
Georgia
GoGoGo - 2011-05-10 5:40 AM

May Race Round-Up:

Who is racing this month?

What event & when, so we can cheer you on...

R

PS.  Bit slow around hereInnocent

Racing this Saturday in the Peachtree International..Top 33% in age groups qualify for nationals..Going to try a PR this weekend..

2011-05-10 4:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
GoGoGo - 2011-05-10 5:45 AM

QOTD:

Richard

Started doing tri last year on my road bike..Bought a used Guru Tri Ti at the end of the season..Love it..?Very comfortable in aero can stay there for the entire ride..Have climbed several hills in aero also..I feel like I'm much faster and my legs are good for the run,unlike riding my road bike..Last race had a 23 mph average on the tri bike..

2011-05-10 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3488630

User image

Expert
Viyoung - 2011-05-09 7:04 AM

Hey there friends, I'm back after a week pretty much off completely Undecided

Went for a run this morning and pushed myself regardless of the pain.  Most of all I hated it, but there were glimpses of glory.  Mostly I'm glad it's over with and I'm glad I did it.  Waiting for that runner's high to wash over me now.

Well done! That makes me think of when I first started running about 8 years ago. Someone goaded me into trying a local 10K, and when I first started training I felt like I was going to die after running less than a mile, and I almost quit. I had no idea how I would ever manage 6 miles. Now I really enjoy running, 6 miles is an easy training run, and after my morning runs I get such a great feeling of well being, and I am energized for the rest of the day.

2011-05-10 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3492297

User image

Expert
shake-n-bake - 2011-05-10 5:49 PM

May Race Round-Up:

R

Racing this Saturday in the Peachtree International..Top 33% in age groups qualify for nationals..Going to try a PR this weekend..

Good luck going for that PR! Those long rides that you have done are going to really help you get there.

I am doing the American Zofingen Short Course Duathlon. 5 miles/29 miles/5 miles, so not too long but very very hilly. This will be my fifth straight year doing it, and I hope to PR the course. The last 2 years I was 2nd in my AG. OK, there were only 4 in my AG, but still, it's fun to podium. This is a great race, plus they have chili  and kegs of locally brewed beer for post race food

2011-05-10 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3491361

User image

Pro
Houston
IceManScott - 2011-05-10 10:15 AM

QOTD:

Richard

I feel your pain.  I built up my Tt bike, an Orbea Oru, then suffered ...12.5 miles were fine.  But felt like I was gasping for breath.  Pain settled in by mile 22.  Hurt anything over 25.   Went for a "pro" bike fit and came out no different.

Then I started to read.  The message from the professionals was that you cannot hammer a bike race when you are in pain.  There must be a meeting of the two goals. 1. Pain free and 2. aero as possible (see 1.)   So I went to another bike fitter who is a friend of mine and told him that I wanted to be raised up in the front.  No BS.  Up.  He raised me a lot.  And I did a 56 mile half IM pain free.  This is supposed to be fun.  I have averaged just under 23 mph with the new setup,.  I'm good with that.   And I look forward to the ride now instead of dreading it.  

Going to get the TT bike out and start to ride it on Sundays.   First race is three weeks from Saturday.  Sprint.  Will hammer that sucker. 

Our bikes are long lost sisters/cousins. I went to THE dude, the guy who is supposed to be THE man in Houston. But I have also thought of adding spacers. Lots of pain = no power. I have to come out of the saddle a lot to re-position so anything I gain in aero I promptly lose. Posting a pic of my Orbea, your turn.

(orbeasmaller.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
orbeasmaller.JPG (60KB - 10 downloads)
2011-05-10 11:28 PM
in reply to: #3492403

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
KeriKadi - 2011-05-10 5:16 PM

QOTD:

Richard

Our bikes are long lost sisters/cousins. I went to THE dude, the guy who is supposed to be THE man in Houston. But I have also thought of adding spacers. Lots of pain = no power. I have to come out of the saddle a lot to re-position so anything I gain in aero I promptly lose. Posting a pic of my Orbea, your turn.

Nice bike! To bad you are not enjoying it. Is there one main thing that bothers you or is it the whole set up?

2011-05-10 11:35 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
GoGoGo - 2011-05-10 3:45 AM

QOTD:

Richard

I started on a road bike and had aerobars put on by the end of the first season. I was always in the drops and really wanted somewhere to rest my arms.   I purchased a tri bike last season so have aero bars on both bikes.

I think I am pretty comfortable in the aero position.  I did a HIM last summer and was in my aero bars pretty much the whole time. My neck and one shoulder do get sore on occasion.  

Mentally comfortable is another story.  I more comfortable on my road bike in the aero position due to the fact that I have better control on my road bike. It is easier to handle and certainly not as twitchy.  I could definately stand to improve on my bike handling skills.

2011-05-11 4:45 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
GoGoGo - 2011-05-10 6:45 AM

QOTD:

Richard

I, like some others, think aero is relatively comfortable.  I can not stay in for hours, but my butt likes it better than my road bike, where most of my weight is on seat.  In aero, it is distributed more.  

Mentally, don't fear aero, but usually use it on quiet roads, where don't need brakes quickly.

I "feel" fast in aero!!

2011-05-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3492751

User image

Pro
Houston
Kath2163 - 2011-05-10 11:28 PM

Nice bike! To bad you are not enjoying it. Is there one main thing that bothers you or is it the whole set up?

Cannot get/stay comfortable in the saddle. The girly bits are incredibly unhappy.

2011-05-11 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

I just wanted to pop in and say "Hi!"  I am still here.  I have been slacking this week (and last week, tooEmbarassed  I have been using spare time to plant in my yard, play with my son, and trying my hand at making my own wine.  I did do a lot of physical activity on Saturday in my yard.  I do keep busy even if I am not doing a structured run or bike.

Gym today (ab class).  Maybe a swim this evening.  Spin class tomorrow.  I will run on Friday.

I am toying with the idea of doing a 10k on May 30th.  Looks like it is only $8 to pre-register.  How can it be so little?

2011-05-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3493177

User image

Regular
Maryland
scraver - 2011-05-11 8:47 AM

I just wanted to pop in and say "Hi!"  I am still here.  I have been slacking this week (and last week, tooEmbarassed  I have been using spare time to plant in my yard, play with my son, and trying my hand at making my own wine.  I did do a lot of physical activity on Saturday in my yard.  I do keep busy even if I am not doing a structured run or bike.

Gym today (ab class).  Maybe a swim this evening.  Spin class tomorrow.  I will run on Friday.

I am toying with the idea of doing a 10k on May 30th.  Looks like it is only $8 to pre-register.  How can it be so little?

Hey Sherri,

Good to hear from you.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have the scary training schedule.  I admire the discipline that the rest of you have, but to be honest, I find it a bit foreign to me.  Maybe if I stick with you all it will be more familiar.

I had a nice run this morning, was able to run for a longer distance - at least 1 1/2 mi. out of 3! 

Progress is sure, but slooooW.  Tongue out

2011-05-11 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3492297

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

May Race Round-Up:

R

Sounds like a great goal!  Good luck and have fun!
2011-05-11 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3492314

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
amschrod - 2011-05-10 6:06 PM

May Race Round-Up:

R

Good luck going for that PR! Those long rides that you have done are going to really help you get there.

I am doing the American Zofingen Short Course Duathlon. 5 miles/29 miles/5 miles, so not too long but very very hilly. This will be my fifth straight year doing it, and I hope to PR the course. The last 2 years I was 2nd in my AG. OK, there were only 4 in my AG, but still, it's fun to podium. This is a great race, plus they have chili  and kegs of locally brewed beer for post race food

After visiting the area of your race I have a whole new respect for the race you are doing!  Good luck!
2011-05-11 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3492403

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-05-10 7:16 PM

QOTD:

Richard

Nice bike! 
2011-05-11 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3490842

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

May Race Round-Up:

R

All of my May races are B races, but I still enjoy them all the same.

F1 Duathlon next Saturday (21st.) 2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 1 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run or as I like to call it, transition practice!
Chase corporate challenge - 3.5 mile run on 5/24
Local 5k on 5/28
Then first tri of the season will be the first weekend in June! 
2011-05-11 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-05-10 5:45 AM

QOTD:

Richard

I am very comfortable in aero, outside.  On the trainer I struggle a bit but it is mostly mental.

I have both a tri bike and a road bike and when I am on the road bike I prefer to be in the drops, unless it is a more social group ride.

But, just like everything else in this sport, learning to be comfortable in aero takes a bit of conditioning, which means time on the bike doing it.  Of course a proper fit is essential, but you still have to build the comfort level.

I am fortunate that the local shop I deal with has one of the best fitters around as the owner.  Some fitters reputation is not what it should be.  In my opinion they have developed what they beleive through training and experience is the optimal position and try and fit you to that position.  Their goal (and why I like my fitter) should be to make you comfortable in the most aero position you can get to.  It is about as individual as you can get.  And, what fits you today may not work as well in a year or 2 as you gain or lose conditioning on the bike. 

2011-05-11 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I think I have caugth up on everything I missed while I was AWOL!  Should be around more the rest of the week.

Great conversations guys and gals!!
2011-05-11 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Have you tried an Adamo saddle?  After cancer surgery (prostate) I tried them and have never used anything else since.  Can't see it well here.  Only one I have here at work off it.  I have better at home.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-05-11 9:29 AM

(lowres scott trisharks 2010.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
lowres scott trisharks 2010.jpg (89KB - 8 downloads)
2011-05-11 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I have a roadie with aero bars.  Not super comfortable physically or mentally - I can stand maybe 5 minutes in aero. However, it is very hilly here and that seems to make it harder.  Also almost crashed 2 days ago as I looked behind me while in aero. Swerved all over the road, luckily no cars where near. Scared the crap out of me. 
2011-05-11 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I was supposed to swim today, however I pulled a muscle in my bicep? a couple of days ago lifting boxes and it hurts pretty bad right now. In fact it seems to have gotten worse (tingling pain all the way into my fingers) - most likely b/c I was helping hubby put sheetrock up on bathroom ceiling last night.

I am doing the ibruprofun regimen and have placed  anelgesic cream on my arm - any other suggestions? ice? heat?

BTW - it is snowing hard here right now (hence the planned swim). Maybe I can get some abwork and leg weights at the gym in today.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72