BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-06-04 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3531098

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL

deliriousxix - 2011-06-03 11:00 AM Hi everybody, Hope you all are having a great friiiday! Somebody sent this to me this morning and I figured it'd be a good little bike pick-me-up for my fellow manatees hahah! Enjoy http://www.break.com/index/kid-gives-speech-after-learning-to-ride-a-bike-2065802

Great video!! Way toooo cute!!

2011-06-04 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3531328

User image

Veteran
TriAya - 2011-06-03 12:35 PM

We have at least three Manatees racing this weekend--let us know if you are, too!!! (if I missed someone)

GOOD LUCK

JOHN (mackjenn)   HOLLY (hollz)   GRACE (GraceVanOwen)   TEDDIE (kussmaul)

Diddo on the above!!! Have a great race everyone!!! Woooohoooo!!!

2011-06-04 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3531328

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-06-03 1:35 PM

We have at least three Manatees racing this weekend--let us know if you are, too!!! (if I missed someone)

GOOD LUCK

You missed me, but I'll get over it.

2011-06-04 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran
Austin

I've spent the last two weeks on a family road/camping trip.  Over 5200 miles with a 6 y/o and 2 y/o crammed in a Prius.  It was a wonderful trip, but I certainly didn't get to train any where near as much as I would have liked.  It just didn't fit in, but I did get in some runs in some beautiful places.   

We got back late last night (a half-day early!).  I woke up and took a little bike ride to try and find my bike legs again.  Then I went to the expo to pick up my race packet and drop off my bike.  The bike racks were assigned by number and my rack is way far away.  Yikes!  I went for a short OWS while dropping off my bike.  It went much better than my last attempt.  I'm super nervous, but am also very ready to have my first tri under my belt.  

2011-06-04 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3529325

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Asalzwed - 2011-06-02 10:29 AM
Grainne Wynne - 2011-05-31 11:51 AM

Adrienne..... Can you share some of that marathon itching..... It could get me through my training. The rush is on..... 60 days to race day.

I have been falling off the training wagon and am feeling it today after a swim lesson and a spin class.

I keep checking in here for inspiration. Thanks manatees you keep me going.

Too bad the marathon itch doesn't spread like other itching, eh? Hahaha Tongue out

But I will attempt to share my running itch if someone will give me some swimming itch(errr swimmers itch?)! I have to drrrraaaaaag myself to the pool. Maybe it will be better when it's warm enough to open water swim.

Anyway, after a lot of thought I decided to skip out on the marathon at the end of June and just train really hard for the Seattle Marathon in November. I was in denial at first but I have come to terms with the fact I know I don't have the self control to not go hard. Also some information I withheld is that I will be doing a 200 mile bike ride 2 weeks after the June Mary and a century ride two weeks after that . Overexerting myself in a marathon I am not really trained for would probably not be ideal...I may do the half marathon though, I know I could do that no problem.

Yanti, your pictures are beautiful!!!! Oh and your knowledge is priceless. I really enjoy reading your posts; Even if I don't always have time to respond. 

I have to admit, I really was hoping you'd decide against the June marathon. So, good for you for making a smart decision! I think the cycling will really help to contribute to your running fitness as well.

2011-06-04 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3532518

User image

Master
Vista, CA
lounav - 2011-06-04 2:02 PM

I've spent the last two weeks on a family road/camping trip.  Over 5200 miles with a 6 y/o and 2 y/o crammed in a Prius.  It was a wonderful trip, but I certainly didn't get to train any where near as much as I would have liked.  It just didn't fit in, but I did get in some runs in some beautiful places.   

We got back late last night (a half-day early!).  I woke up and took a little bike ride to try and find my bike legs again.  Then I went to the expo to pick up my race packet and drop off my bike.  The bike racks were assigned by number and my rack is way far away.  Yikes!  I went for a short OWS while dropping off my bike.  It went much better than my last attempt.  I'm super nervous, but am also very ready to have my first tri under my belt.

Sounds like you're all ready and you'll have all the pent up energy from being in a small car ready to pounce!

Go get 'em! 

2011-06-05 2:44 AM
in reply to: #3532515

User image

Melon Presser
lounav - 2011-06-05 5:57 AM
TriAya - 2011-06-03 1:35 PM

GOOD LUCK

You missed me, but I'll get over it.

I've been missing you for weeks while you were away

and LOUISE!!!

2011-06-05 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3532943

User image

Dallas, TX

Thanks!!  The race was a lot of fun.  It was the Firefly Run and started at 9 pm.  We got flashing LED straps in our packets and there was lots of other glow in the dark going on.  I was fully decked out - shorts, shirt, glow hair gel, necklace, bracelets.  It was way bigger than I thought it would be, over 3000 people.  My friend had to pick up her packet there and there was at least 1000 people i the packet pick up line.  

I had planed to run the 10k, but my hip has been killing me.  I took Wed and Thursday off, but made the mistake of running Friday.  I bailed a little over two miles it hurt sooooo bad.  It was a bit better yesterday and I loaded up on Advil and Tylenol all day.  So I made the decision to only do 5k. 

The first mile of the race was crazy crowded.  Lots of weaving in and out and slow overall.  Then it got a little better, but slowed down again around mile 2.  I really thought about bailing around mile 2, my hip was killing me.  But I didn't.  Overall my time was slow, but given the crowds and pain, I was okay with it.  I ended up 23/204 for my age group.

2011-06-05 2:49 PM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS, TEDDIE!

Wow, with the hips and crowds and darkness and whatnot ... you did AMAZING, shoot, I wish I could do that in any road race.

2011-06-05 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3529325

User image

Veteran
Austin
Well, I did it!  I loved it, I hated it, I was inspired, I was humbled.  I'll write a full race report soon, but the summary of it - I freaked out a little/lot on the swim.  I got freaked out by people grabbing my feet and it made me start off a bit to fast to try and get away from people.  I was then really out of breath and started to think there was no way I could finish.  This went on for the first 150 yards, then I remembered I really could swim and the remainder of it went well.  My bike went great.  All the things I had worried about didn't make me nervous after all and I loved the bike.  And then came the run...well, I was feeling like the run would be my strongest, but I fell apart on the run and ended up walking about half of it.  My stomach started to cramp almost right away.  It was hot - almost 90 by the time my run started and I was just spent all around.  Some of it was mental.  I tried telling myself I had trained to hard to walk, but walk I did!  It was a bit disappointing to end it that way, but I was still very proud with how far I had come.  I never would have imagined finishing a tri and I did!
2011-06-05 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3533505

Charlotte, North Carolina
lounav - 2011-06-05 4:26 PMWell, I did it!  I loved it, I hated it, I was inspired, I was humbled.  I'll write a full race report soon, but the summary of it - I freaked out a little/lot on the swim.  I got freaked out by people grabbing my feet and it made me start off a bit to fast to try and get away from people.  I was then really out of breath and started to think there was no way I could finish.  This went on for the first 150 yards, then I remembered I really could swim and the remainder of it went well.  My bike went great.  All the things I had worried about didn't make me nervous after all and I loved the bike.  And then came the run...well, I was feeling like the run would be my strongest, but I fell apart on the run and ended up walking about half of it.  My stomach started to cramp almost right away.  It was hot - almost 90 by the time my run started and I was just spent all around.  Some of it was mental.  I tried telling myself I had trained to hard to walk, but walk I did!  It was a bit disappointing to end it that way, but I was still very proud with how far I had come.  I never would have imagined finishing a tri and I did!
Yay!! Congrats I did the exact same thing on the swim and a lot of people have had the same experience.. But at least the end of it got better!! Glad to hear the bike went well also!

2011-06-05 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3533092

User image

Master
Vista, CA
kussmaul - 2011-06-05 7:51 AM

Thanks!!  The race was a lot of fun.  It was the Firefly Run and started at 9 pm.  We got flashing LED straps in our packets and there was lots of other glow in the dark going on.  I was fully decked out - shorts, shirt, glow hair gel, necklace, bracelets.  It was way bigger than I thought it would be, over 3000 people.  My friend had to pick up her packet there and there was at least 1000 people i the packet pick up line.  

I had planed to run the 10k, but my hip has been killing me.  I took Wed and Thursday off, but made the mistake of running Friday.  I bailed a little over two miles it hurt sooooo bad.  It was a bit better yesterday and I loaded up on Advil and Tylenol all day.  So I made the decision to only do 5k. 

The first mile of the race was crazy crowded.  Lots of weaving in and out and slow overall.  Then it got a little better, but slowed down again around mile 2.  I really thought about bailing around mile 2, my hip was killing me.  But I didn't.  Overall my time was slow, but given the crowds and pain, I was okay with it.  I ended up 23/204 for my age group.

GREAT JOB OUT THERE TODAY!!  I hope you're all healed up soon.
2011-06-05 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
lounav - 2011-06-05 2:26 PM Well, I did it!  I loved it, I hated it, I was inspired, I was humbled.  I'll write a full race report soon, but the summary of it - I freaked out a little/lot on the swim.  I got freaked out by people grabbing my feet and it made me start off a bit to fast to try and get away from people.  I was then really out of breath and started to think there was no way I could finish.  This went on for the first 150 yards, then I remembered I really could swim and the remainder of it went well.  My bike went great.  All the things I had worried about didn't make me nervous after all and I loved the bike.  And then came the run...well, I was feeling like the run would be my strongest, but I fell apart on the run and ended up walking about half of it.  My stomach started to cramp almost right away.  It was hot - almost 90 by the time my run started and I was just spent all around.  Some of it was mental.  I tried telling myself I had trained to hard to walk, but walk I did!  It was a bit disappointing to end it that way, but I was still very proud with how far I had come.  I never would have imagined finishing a tri and I did!

Louise is a triathlete..Louise is a triathlete....Louise is a triathlete....Smiling yet?  GREAT and you have every right to be most proud of your accomplishment. YEA!!!
2011-06-05 7:08 PM

User image

Dallas, TX

lounav - 2011-06-05 4:26 PM Well, I did it!  I loved it, I hated it, I was inspired, I was humbled.  I'll write a full race report soon, but the summary of it - I freaked out a little/lot on the swim.  I got freaked out by people grabbing my feet and it made me start off a bit to fast to try and get away from people.  I was then really out of breath and started to think there was no way I could finish.  This went on for the first 150 yards, then I remembered I really could swim and the remainder of it went well.  My bike went great.  All the things I had worried about didn't make me nervous after all and I loved the bike.  And then came the run...well, I was feeling like the run would be my strongest, but I fell apart on the run and ended up walking about half of it.  My stomach started to cramp almost right away.  It was hot - almost 90 by the time my run started and I was just spent all around.  Some of it was mental.  I tried telling myself I had trained to hard to walk, but walk I did!  It was a bit disappointing to end it that way, but I was still very proud with how far I had come.  I never would have imagined finishing a tri and I did!

Congrats!!  The heat has been brutal, no shaming in walking.  

2011-06-06 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3533607

User image

Veteran
Austin

lmscozz - 2011-06-05 5:40 PM

Louise is a triathlete..Louise is a triathlete....Louise is a triathlete....Smiling yet?  GREAT and you have every right to be most proud of your accomplishment. YEA!!!

Yes, I'm smiling now.

2011-06-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3533092

User image

Seattle
kussmaul - 2011-06-05 9:51 AM

Wooow that sounds so cool! I want to do a run like this!!!! Good work too, not feeling up to par and still 23/204!

2011-06-06 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

Happy Monday manatees!

Well, I accomplished the Oly tri on Saturday. It wasn't all pretty but it was SO GREAT to get it done. I have been dreaming and training for this for over a year and when it didn't happen last summer...I don't think I really believed it ever would. I will do the full report here a little later but the gist of it was-It was exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time. It was very S...L...O...W... but I completed it and that was a WONDERFUL feeling!!!

funniest part-swim was .93 mile course. I easily swam 1.2 miles...some crooked -I have a pretty strong right turn in open water-it seems...and missed one corner buoy and had to go back and re-swim that part. (See, I am very near sighted and was relying on a group of about 4 gals I was swimming with to know where they were going....and apparently, they weren't seeing much better than me!!)

thanks for all your support here. It helps me so much to know you're all out here in my cheering section as I am in all of yours.

Holly

ps-right ON Louise! - you TRI TIGER you!

2011-06-06 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3535491

User image

Seattle
Hollz - 2011-06-06 3:28 PM

Happy Monday manatees!

Well, I accomplished the Oly tri on Saturday. It wasn't all pretty but it was SO GREAT to get it done. I have been dreaming and training for this for over a year and when it didn't happen last summer...I don't think I really believed it ever would. I will do the full report here a little later but the gist of it was-It was exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time. It was very S...L...O...W... but I completed it and that was a WONDERFUL feeling!!!

funniest part-swim was .93 mile course. I easily swam 1.2 miles...some crooked -I have a pretty strong right turn in open water-it seems...and missed one corner buoy and had to go back and re-swim that part. (See, I am very near sighted and was relying on a group of about 4 gals I was swimming with to know where they were going....and apparently, they weren't seeing much better than me!!)

thanks for all your support here. It helps me so much to know you're all out here in my cheering section as I am in all of yours.

Holly

I am looking forward to reading your race report! I have an Oly at the end of the summer (my "A" race) and I've never raced that distance. Well, in fact I am rather new to tri's all around so everything is a new experience. Congrats on finishing the distance (plus some Cool

2011-06-06 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3533607

User image

Melon Presser

lmscozz - 2011-06-06 7:40 AM
lounav - 2011-06-05 2:26 PM Well, I did it!  I loved it, I hated it, I was inspired, I was humbled.  I'll write a full race report soon, but the summary of it - I freaked out a little/lot on the swim.  I got freaked out by people grabbing my feet and it made me start off a bit to fast to try and get away from people.  I was then really out of breath and started to think there was no way I could finish.  This went on for the first 150 yards, then I remembered I really could swim and the remainder of it went well.  My bike went great.  All the things I had worried about didn't make me nervous after all and I loved the bike.  And then came the run...well, I was feeling like the run would be my strongest, but I fell apart on the run and ended up walking about half of it.  My stomach started to cramp almost right away.  It was hot - almost 90 by the time my run started and I was just spent all around.  Some of it was mental.  I tried telling myself I had trained to hard to walk, but walk I did!  It was a bit disappointing to end it that way, but I was still very proud with how far I had come.  I never would have imagined finishing a tri and I did!

CONGRATULATIONS, TRIATHLETE!!!

ferkit. I'm cryin'. We've been together a long ways, Louise ... you. are. an. awesome. TRIATHLETE!!!!!

2011-06-06 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Hollz - 2011-06-06 3:28 PM

Happy Monday manatees!

Holly

Way to go Holly!!!  It most feel so awesome to have reached that goal.  

2011-06-06 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3535621

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-06-06 4:25 PM

lmscozz - 2011-06-06 7:40 AM

CONGRATULATIONS, TRIATHLETE!!!

ferkit. I'm cryin'. We've been together a long ways, Louise ... you. are. an. awesome. TRIATHLETE!!!!!

Thanks.  I couldn't have done it with out this group.  Well, maybe I could have, but I don't like to think of how messy it would have been!  I couldn't have had such a positive experience without you guys for sure!

2011-06-06 6:52 PM

User image

Seattle
Oh, I had a quick question. For ease of getting my wetsuit off, is body glide my best/only option on my ankles and wrists or is there a cheap option or something I might already have on hand so I don't have to go buy more stuff. Yeah...I'm kinda of cheap. Cool
2011-06-07 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3535867

User image

Melon Presser

Asalzwed - 2011-06-07 8:52 AM Oh, I had a quick question. For ease of getting my wetsuit off, is body glide my best/only option on my ankles and wrists or is there a cheap option or something I might already have on hand so I don't have to go buy more stuff. Yeah...I'm kinda of cheap. Cool

PAM cooking spray. brand-name. garlic flavor is okay and yummy piglets may even be inclined to lick you.

2011-06-07 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3536848

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2011-06-07 10:20 AM

Asalzwed - 2011-06-07 8:52 AM Oh, I had a quick question. For ease of getting my wetsuit off, is body glide my best/only option on my ankles and wrists or is there a cheap option or something I might already have on hand so I don't have to go buy more stuff. Yeah...I'm kinda of cheap. Cool

PAM cooking spray. brand-name. garlic flavor is okay and yummy piglets may even be inclined to lick you.

You are making me hungry!!!!!!

2011-06-08 9:04 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Hollz - 2011-06-07 5:28 AM

Happy Monday manatees!

Holly

CONGRATULATIONS Holly!!! Hey look--you got a PR!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43