BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-27 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3521608

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
khharms - 2011-05-27 9:14 AM

Nicole - I don't have any advice for you, I wish I did Are you sure it's not sciatica? (I don't know if that's been mentioned or not) I have that, and the pain down your leg sounds similar. Is it your right leg by chance? I actually ended up having two outpatient surgeries on my back - steroid injections really, but the second one he really did a number on me. Saying that, I did or still do, have two bulging discs that were pressing on the sciatic nerve.

Anyway. Have you had an MRI done or anything?

Good luck on your race!!

I guess I don't know much about sciatica, other than my dad has it.

I have had this hip/back issue on and off for like 3 years now. I'm not sure what it is. It comes and goes. Sometimes it is very painful, like my whole hip/back locks up and it hurts to walk, other times it's fine. The last time I had an appt to see an MD it was fired up, and then the day before my appointment the pain went away on its own, so I cancelled the appointment. (That was January I think.) Now unfortunately it's back. It always seems to be when I run more than six miles. 

I can't really describe the pain very well. I'm not even sure I would call it pain all the time. It comes and goes. At times it hurts to walk, other times it doesn't. Sometimes it goes away with stretching and foam rolling. Sometimes it's more the hip, and sometimes it's more the back. I used to see chiropractors which sometimes helped. They told me a number of different things, from my SI joint being out of place to my alignment being out of place.  I had x-rays a few years ago on back (which I thought was the problem) and everything looked fine. I don't even know if anyone has been looking in the right place, now that I know about trigger points & referred pain problems. 

I'm inclined to think it's soft tissue related -- when I had my IT band issues in October (on the other side of my body) we were always finding these crazy knots in my soft tissue that required a lot of therapy to get out.

(Edited to get rid of the ramble that initially followed this reply Innocent)

Edited by nmladic 2011-05-27 11:36 AM

2011-05-27 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3521657

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
slornow - 2011-05-27 9:31 AM
nmladic - 2011-05-27 8:59 AM

Nicole-I am a big believer in ART "Active Release Therapy".  Met a local chiropractor at a race last December that is certified in ART.  He worked on a few spots after the race and it really helped.  Fortunately he is less than 5 minutes from my house.  He has helped me get through lots of issues including somethings right before races.  Some issues may take a few sessions and others he has been able to help significantly in only one visit.  He works with alot of triathletes and runners.  For what it is worth I have always been a skeptic about these types of treatment but am a big believer now.  May not "fix" you for your race but may be a long term option.

Randy

Been meaning to check out ART. Just need to find a close practitioner. Thanks for the reminder.

So how often endurance athletes rely on massage, ART, PT, etc.? Is this something that is just part of everyone's routine?

2011-05-27 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3521578

User image

Master
Baltimore
nmladic - 2011-05-27 9:59 AM

Hi guys: Looking for some advice here... I have my 10-miler race tomorrow (woot!). 

My hip/pirformis has been bothering me for the past 2 weeks. It's been tight and aggravated ..."fired up" as my PT used to call it. And my runs have been hurting like hell because of all the tightness - plus, I'm pretty sure it's pressing on a nerve. I have been stretching and foam rolling like CRAZY to relax it, and using heat therapy to get blood flowing to those tissues.

Last night I was using a tennis ball and I found a knot that I couldn't get out right where the hip joint and pirformis meet. I think this is causing some of the problems. However, when I tried to massage the knot, I was getting pain all down the back of my leg.

So here's my question. Given that race day is tomorrow, should I try to get a chiro/massage appt this afternoon? Is the day before race day bad to get treatment? I am not planning on going crazy tomorrow, I'm just racing to finish the race. My pace will be rather slow I think, so no worries there about affecting my time.  My bigger question is whether you should avoid massage the day before a long run (does it damage the tissues)?

Eek!  Good luck.  I'm of no use, I have no idea on massages and stuff like that.  I wouldn't do anything drastic right before the race, but then again if you may not even be able to race without it, it may be the lesser of two evils.

Just live to race again (when you're uninjured)!

2011-05-27 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3521781

User image

Master
Baltimore
[email protected] - 2011-05-27 11:26 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-05-26 6:11 PM
khharms - 2011-05-26 9:53 AM

I can only imagine what will happen when I have two kids to tend to on a daily basis!

You will be busy!  It is really hard to find time for yourself.  I wasn't able to do anything today (as far as training goes).  Like you said, life happens.   We can only do so much.  I was going to try to do something tonight, but  I just stuffed my face with Five Guys.  Not sure I can do anything but lay on the sofa. 

I did cut the grass and plant some flowers today.  That should free up some time this weekend for training.

Five Guys Rocks!!!!  it is a stuff your face experience and yummie : )  In the big scheme of things it's probably great to enjoy a day like today, don't freak out, and don't make it a habit : )  If you do you end up 20 pounds over what u want to be, like me.

haha, I'm creeping up there in weight too.  Been so off training the last 6 weeks but not off eating.  I just got the sponsorship race kit the other day (wore it yesterday for my ride) and noticed it wasn't quite as flattering as it would be if I were 10 lbs lighter :/

2011-05-27 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3521655

User image

Master
Baltimore

MattCan - 2011-05-27 10:31 AM I was pitching in the championship intramural softball game last night and took a line drive shot right off the top of my left ankle. It hurt pretty bad initially but I was eventually able to walk around and not feel much pain at all with moving it and was able to finish out the game. This morning I woke up to some swelling, lots of stiffness, and pain both to touch and move my ankle. I am hoping that it will go away for Sundays big race but we'll see I guess.

Ouch - hope it doens't keep you down for long!

2011-05-27 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3521822

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

(Edited to get rid of the ramble that initially followed this reply Innocent)

I was just going to comment on your ramble! It is hard when people you love don't understand. Don't feel like you need to go through that alone.  I'm sure we all have outside factors that make our training hard(er).  My husband gets upset with my desire to do longer races.  I understand how you feel.  Have a great race this weekend.  Hope the massage helps.

Christy

2011-05-27 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3521996

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
cbrookhart - 2011-05-27 12:01 PM

I was just going to comment on your ramble! It is hard when people you love don't understand. Don't feel like you need to go through that alone.  I'm sure we all have outside factors that make our training hard(er).  My husband gets upset with my desire to do longer races.  I understand how you feel.  Have a great race this weekend.  Hope the massage helps.

Christy

Aww thanks. After I re-read it, I was like, WOAH I HAVE A LOT OF ISSUES and then I deleted it, lol. The weird thing is that my man-friend doesn't mind at all. He thinks it's cool that I"m so independent. It's the peer/social pressures to just be a "normal" adult woman that really get me down sometimes. However, when I am like 70 and kicking in races and triathlons, maybe it will be more "normal" for women our age.

Edited by nmladic 2011-05-27 12:06 PM
2011-05-27 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3521849

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-05-27 10:53 AM
[email protected] - 2011-05-27 11:26 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-05-26 6:11 PM
khharms - 2011-05-26 9:53 AM

I can only imagine what will happen when I have two kids to tend to on a daily basis!

You will be busy!  It is really hard to find time for yourself.  I wasn't able to do anything today (as far as training goes).  Like you said, life happens.   We can only do so much.  I was going to try to do something tonight, but  I just stuffed my face with Five Guys.  Not sure I can do anything but lay on the sofa. 

I did cut the grass and plant some flowers today.  That should free up some time this weekend for training.

Five Guys Rocks!!!!  it is a stuff your face experience and yummie : )  In the big scheme of things it's probably great to enjoy a day like today, don't freak out, and don't make it a habit : )  If you do you end up 20 pounds over what u want to be, like me.

haha, I'm creeping up there in weight too.  Been so off training the last 6 weeks but not off eating.  I just got the sponsorship race kit the other day (wore it yesterday for my ride) and noticed it wasn't quite as flattering as it would be if I were 10 lbs lighter :/

Speaking of nutriton, (or lack there of) do you train to eat, or eat to train? Or is it somewhere in the middle?  I have been thinking alot about this.  I found a website called 100 days of real food.  It's all about eating whole foods.  I'm not sure I could totally cut out all processed food, but I think it is worth a try.  Except maybe my luna bars and sugar in my coffee.  Is beer processed?  There's a lot I need to look into.

There was a time when the only reason I worked out was so I could eat whatever I wanted.  Now I'm thinking that if I ate better, I could train better, which would lead to racing better.  What do you guys think?

Christy

2011-05-27 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3522104

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

I'm interested in that website! I have TONS to learn about nutrition, but I'm not really willing to sit down and read about it. I'm more the type to go sit in a seminar or semester of classes to learn about it.

Right now I'd say I train to eat, maybe?? lol - something to think about!

2011-05-27 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3522104

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Edited by khharms 2011-05-27 10:00 PM
2011-05-28 1:31 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Veteran

Hi everyone, sorry about being so quiet lately. Between being sick, dealing with a sick kid, working, keeping up in school and in my training it has left me with very little time to get up on the boards. Anyway I wanted to ask something for all you swimmers.

Usually I pull a 1/2 mile in 30 minutes or less. I know its not a fast pace but I did not start swimming till January. But on Thursday I more or less just flopped around in the water. I can normally at least swim decent and hold my own but Thursday was just plain pittyful. I did not even get though my first lap without being tired. Everytime I moved my arms I felt a deep tissue soreness and my legs just felt like weights. And my breathing, don't even get me started. I found myself doing two stroke breaths and even managed to do four stroke breaths, almost everything except the three stroke breaths that I was suppose to be doing.

And I could not believe how tired I felt. Normally I can do an easy 1/4 mile and not even feel winded. But after just one lap I found myself gasping for air and just not able to catch my breath. I had to force myself to get through the swim and left the pool angry at myself for such a poor showing.

I have not done anything new in the weights or the cross training and health wise I feel great. So I guess my question is how do you know when you are at the point of being over trained? And if I am over trained do I still stick with my tri training schedule builf for my by BT or do I back off of a little bit?

2011-05-28 6:29 AM
in reply to: #3522729

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hubbie - 2011-05-28 1:31 AM

Hi everyone, sorry about being so quiet lately. Between being sick, dealing with a sick kid, working, keeping up in school and in my training it has left me with very little time to get up on the boards. Anyway I wanted to ask something for all you swimmers.

Usually I pull a 1/2 mile in 30 minutes or less. I know its not a fast pace but I did not start swimming till January. But on Thursday I more or less just flopped around in the water. I can normally at least swim decent and hold my own but Thursday was just plain pittyful. I did not even get though my first lap without being tired. Everytime I moved my arms I felt a deep tissue soreness and my legs just felt like weights. And my breathing, don't even get me started. I found myself doing two stroke breaths and even managed to do four stroke breaths, almost everything except the three stroke breaths that I was suppose to be doing.

And I could not believe how tired I felt. Normally I can do an easy 1/4 mile and not even feel winded. But after just one lap I found myself gasping for air and just not able to catch my breath. I had to force myself to get through the swim and left the pool angry at myself for such a poor showing.

I have not done anything new in the weights or the cross training and health wise I feel great. So I guess my question is how do you know when you are at the point of being over trained? And if I am over trained do I still stick with my tri training schedule builf for my by BT or do I back off of a little bit?

I seem to have those types of swim days 1-2 times a month.  No real rhyme or reason but everything feels "off".  Seems to happen less the more often I swim but still occassionally pops up.  I always wonder when I get in thee pool if it will be one of those days.  If it is I try to do more drills and maybe more pull sets to try to focus on form/technique.

Randy

Edited by slornow 2011-05-28 6:32 AM
2011-05-28 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3522783

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
I feel like a fool.

A little back story here: so Greg (tri trainer) tells me that he takes this group of riders out every Saturday at 7, people of all levels. They have different groups that go 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30. so yesterday I asked him, hey, is your group going out? He kind of him-hawed but told me to email him my contact info and if they are going he would let me know. so I do, and he replies with: Yes, they are going.

Fast forward to this morning. I show up at 6:45, people are there unloading bikes, pumping up tires, fueling themselves, stocking water on their bikes... etc. I get out of my car, unload my bike - from the inside of my car, because you know, I don't have a rack yet. I check my tires, they need air. I borrow a pump from the guy next to me (I have one, but it hooks up to my car and is loud and obnoxious. I don't have a hand pump yet - added to list of 100 things to buy) I'm looking around at everyone, just noticing my surroundings. Every single person is wearing sponsor gear, they have a minimum of 3 bottles on their bikes, they have aero bars, racing bikes... and I walk up with my ridiculous hybrid $50 bike, and people looking at me like I'm crazy. I felt like I should be the person with a bell and a basket on my bars

At this point I know I'm way in over my head. Who am I kidding? Greg walks up, has me sign a waiver, and explains the route to me as he hands me a map. I'm thinking to myself, I need a map?! He tells me at what point there is a gas station where if I felt like I need to turn back, I could and that route would be 16 miles total. Great, I can handle that (I think).

We begin our ride, I keep up with the group for about.. 3 minutes. No big deal, I have my phone, I have the map, I still know the area. One group passes me, then about 2 mins later, another group comes up behind me and this guy yells out, hey, you know you have a flat? I kindly said thank you and begin to slow down. Greg is in that group and he pulls off the road with me and checks my tire, asks if I have a way to fix it, and I say no. He proceeded to tell me about a fix it kit that I can buy, checks my tire and tells me I have enough air to get back to my car.

As I head back I start to think to myself, am I in over my head? Is this what I really want to do? who am I kidding? I seriously feel like an idiot.

I know I have a LOT to learn, but I feel lost in a sea of superior people that can only offer so much information. I don't have the money to get GOOD training. I don't have money to just go out and buy all this gear I need, I have to buy things one at a time and build up my 'collection'.

What can I do? I really need some kind of reassurement here. I think it's going to take a while to get over the humiliation of today. :-(
2011-05-28 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3522853

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

khharms - 2011-05-28 8:33 AM I feel like a fool.

A little back story here: so Greg (tri trainer) tells me that he takes this group of riders out every Saturday at 7, people of all levels. They have different groups that go 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30. so yesterday I asked him, hey, is your group going out? He kind of him-hawed but told me to email him my contact info and if they are going he would let me know. so I do, and he replies with: Yes, they are going.

Fast forward to this morning. I show up at 6:45, people are there unloading bikes, pumping up tires, fueling themselves, stocking water on their bikes... etc. I get out of my car, unload my bike - from the inside of my car, because you know, I don't have a rack yet. I check my tires, they need air. I borrow a pump from the guy next to me (I have one, but it hooks up to my car and is loud and obnoxious. I don't have a hand pump yet - added to list of 100 things to buy) I'm looking around at everyone, just noticing my surroundings. Every single person is wearing sponsor gear, they have a minimum of 3 bottles on their bikes, they have aero bars, racing bikes... and I walk up with my ridiculous hybrid $50 bike, and people looking at me like I'm crazy. I felt like I should be the person with a bell and a basket on my bars

At this point I know I'm way in over my head. Who am I kidding? Greg walks up, has me sign a waiver, and explains the route to me as he hands me a map. I'm thinking to myself, I need a map?! He tells me at what point there is a gas station where if I felt like I need to turn back, I could and that route would be 16 miles total. Great, I can handle that (I think).

We begin our ride, I keep up with the group for about.. 3 minutes. No big deal, I have my phone, I have the map, I still know the area. One group passes me, then about 2 mins later, another group comes up behind me and this guy yells out, hey, you know you have a flat? I kindly said thank you and begin to slow down. Greg is in that group and he pulls off the road with me and checks my tire, asks if I have a way to fix it, and I say no. He proceeded to tell me about a fix it kit that I can buy, checks my tire and tells me I have enough air to get back to my car.

As I head back I start to think to myself, am I in over my head? Is this what I really want to do? who am I kidding? I seriously feel like an idiot.

I know I have a LOT to learn, but I feel lost in a sea of superior people that can only offer so much information. I don't have the money to get GOOD training. I don't have money to just go out and buy all this gear I need, I have to buy things one at a time and build up my 'collection'.

What can I do? I really need some kind of reassurement here. I think it's going to take a while to get over the humiliation of today. :-(

You should be proud of yourself for going out there and doing a group ride!!

I did my first race on a mountian bike.  I did the swim without a wetsuit.  The water was 65 degrees.  I didn't even know what a wetsuit was.  Never crossed my mind I'd need one.  

The next year I got a bottom of the line road bike.  I used that until this year.  I always felt a little embarrased riding with other people.  I think someone at a bike shop actually laughed at me when I took it in for a tune up before a race.

I have never had a flat tire.  I've often wondered how i would know I had one.

Triathlons can be REALLY expensive.  But there is no reason you have to spend the money.   All you really need is a bike and some running shoes.   I understand feeling out of place, but if you're having fun, who cares what other people are thinking.  And honestly, I doubt anyone was thinking you didn't belong.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  At least you were out there!

Christy

2011-05-28 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3522853

User image

Master
South Alabama
khharms - 

Karla-sounds like you had a tough morning.  You should be proud that you put yourself out there in a new situation.  That's HUGE!  Don't compare who you are and what you have to everyone else.  There is always someone faster with cooler more expensive stuff.  

You say you don't have the "money to get good training".  You dont need money to train...of course pool/gym memberships cost money but heading out on the bike, going for a run or swimming don't cost money (other than wering out shoes, swimsuits etc.....)  Maybe you are speaking of coaching?  I think the vast majority of people can reach close to 100% of their potential without a coach.  The biggest investment as a newer triathlete is the investment of time.  Solid consistent workouts through a BT plan or other well thought out plan can take you a long way.

As long as you are getting what you want out of training and racing triathlons who cares....you are way ahead of most of the general population.  Its like Nicole pointed out in her "rant" yesterday....there are always people who think you should be doing something else or spending your time in a different way.  We are all uncertain about ourselves, what we do and how we do it.   Think about how you felt when you finished your race a few weeks ago......excited, satisfied, proud??? Thats why I do this...that feeling of accomplishment.  That's a ME thing.  Not something I feel because I wear a cool shirt or have a nice bike. Not something that someone can provide for me.  Remember after your race how you identified certain things you wanted to improve?  Focus on one or two of those things.  Hitting some of these little goals we set for ourselves keeps us going.  Nothing happens overnight regardless of how expensive an outfit we wear or the brand of our bike.

Don't let this get you down!  All of the bike shops in my area do multiple group rides with at least one being a "no drop" ride.  Check around and see if there is something like that and get back out there......do it for youself.  Whether its for fitness, a few minutes of time away to yourself or just because its fun....enjoy yourself.    

Keep up the good work..we all have those days when we wonder why we are doing this.

Randy    
2011-05-28 4:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi everyone! I finished the 10-Miler in 1.40 - exactly my goal time! What a great day! 

You can check out the race report here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=254143 

(Let me know if it works for you)

Some days everything just clicks for you, and today was that day. This race went exactly as I envisioned it - which is saying a lot when you're running a 10-mile course with 15,000 others.  I don't think I would have done anything different.

I'm really glad I got the massage yesterday and worked on some of the knots. My hip didn't bother me at all today. Remarkable. I don't know why I get knots, but this episode reminded me that this body needs some regular maintenance in order to complete those higher distances. (And yes, I can certainly deal with massages every now and then.)

If I was down in the dumps about endurance sports on Friday, it just took this one race to remind me of why I do it. Because I love it. No more, no less. 

Half marathon? I think I'll try it. After today, I am in love with endurance sports again.

Starting tomorrow, I get to focus less on running and more on tri-ing. Mentally it will be a welcome change. I am still worried about the July tri, but today gave me some confidence that I really needed and a great reminder about my passion for all things sports. Thank you Soldier Field 10 Miler!

2011-05-28 5:20 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Way to go Nicole!  Great race.

Randy 
2011-05-28 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3523139

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-05-28 4:32 PM

Hi everyone! I finished the 10-Miler in 1.40 - exactly my goal time! What a great day! 

Some days everything just clicks for you, and today was that day. This race went exactly as I envisioned it - which is saying a lot when you're running a 10-mile course with 15,000 others.  I don't think I would have done anything different.

I'm really glad I got the massage yesterday and worked on some of the knots. My hip didn't bother me at all today. Remarkable. I don't know why I get knots, but this episode reminded me that this body needs some regular maintenance in order to complete those higher distances. (And yes, I can certainly deal with massages every now and then.)

If I was down in the dumps about endurance sports on Friday, it just took this one race to remind me of why I do it. Because I love it. No more, no less. 

Half marathon? I think I'll try it. After today, I am in love with endurance sports again.

Starting tomorrow, I get to focus less on running and more on tri-ing. Mentally it will be a welcome change. I am still worried about the July tri, but today gave me some confidence that I really needed and a great reminder about my passion for all things sports. Thank you Soldier Field 10 Miler!

Awesome!!  Sounds like a great day.

2011-05-28 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3523089

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

slornow - 2011-05-28 2:55 PM
khharms - 

Karla-sounds like you had a tough morning.  You should be proud that you put yourself out there in a new situation.  That's HUGE!  Don't compare who you are and what you have to everyone else.  There is always someone faster with cooler more expensive stuff.  

You say you don't have the "money to get good training".  You dont need money to train...of course pool/gym memberships cost money but heading out on the bike, going for a run or swimming don't cost money (other than wering out shoes, swimsuits etc.....)  Maybe you are speaking of coaching?  I think the vast majority of people can reach close to 100% of their potential without a coach.  The biggest investment as a newer triathlete is the investment of time.  Solid consistent workouts through a BT plan or other well thought out plan can take you a long way.

As long as you are getting what you want out of training and racing triathlons who cares....you are way ahead of most of the general population.  Its like Nicole pointed out in her "rant" yesterday....there are always people who think you should be doing something else or spending your time in a different way.  We are all uncertain about ourselves, what we do and how we do it.   Think about how you felt when you finished your race a few weeks ago......excited, satisfied, proud??? Thats why I do this...that feeling of accomplishment.  That's a ME thing.  Not something I feel because I wear a cool shirt or have a nice bike. Not something that someone can provide for me.  Remember after your race how you identified certain things you wanted to improve?  Focus on one or two of those things.  Hitting some of these little goals we set for ourselves keeps us going.  Nothing happens overnight regardless of how expensive an outfit we wear or the brand of our bike.

Don't let this get you down!  All of the bike shops in my area do multiple group rides with at least one being a "no drop" ride.  Check around and see if there is something like that and get back out there......do it for youself.  Whether its for fitness, a few minutes of time away to yourself or just because its fun....enjoy yourself.    

Keep up the good work..we all have those days when we wonder why we are doing this.

Randy    

You are absolutely right, Randy. I guess I just know which areas I need to work on the most based off my first tri. Now that I have the 'competitor spirit' in me, I want to push harder, or get better gear, or become a runner/biker overnight, lol.

I checked my bike shop, they don't do group rides anymore because no one was interested. I checked meetup.com, there are a couple I sent inquires to, we'll see what they say.

2011-05-28 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3522900

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

You should be proud of yourself for going out there and doing a group ride!!

I did my first race on a mountian bike.  I did the swim without a wetsuit.  The water was 65 degrees.  I didn't even know what a wetsuit was.  Never crossed my mind I'd need one.  

The next year I got a bottom of the line road bike.  I used that until this year.  I always felt a little embarrased riding with other people.  I think someone at a bike shop actually laughed at me when I took it in for a tune up before a race.

I have never had a flat tire.  I've often wondered how i would know I had one.

Triathlons can be REALLY expensive.  But there is no reason you have to spend the money.   All you really need is a bike and some running shoes.   I understand feeling out of place, but if you're having fun, who cares what other people are thinking.  And honestly, I doubt anyone was thinking you didn't belong.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  At least you were out there!

Christy

This is me, exactly, lol! When i take my bike in and tell the guy I need tires put on for a tri, he looks at me like I have 3 eyes! I can tell he's laughing on the inside! I bought my bike for $50 from a friend, it's a Trek Hybrid, men's bike. Hey, the price was right! I'm working on getting a race bike, but in the $600 range... not $12k!

You are right, we all have to start somewhere, and those people out there today were me at one time in their lives. Cyclists are very cliquey, I am beginning to understand! (And if anyone here is a cyclist, please don't take offense!!) I'm not used to that kind of sportsmanship - it's as if I walked up with a $6000 bike and acted like I knew what I was doing. Swimmers aren't like that (not any that I know, at least) we are more apt to give advice and help you. I just didn't get that vibe today, at all. Only from the instructor, and he knows I'm a total newbie, lol

At least I tried, I told him I would show up, and I did. so I had a set back. It's just another story to share on my journey!

2011-05-28 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3523139

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
nmladic - 2011-05-28 4:32 PM

Way to go Nicole!! I'm glad you're hip/leg was feeling good today! Sounds like everything fell in to place for you

2011-05-29 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3523276

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
khharms - 2011-05-28 7:54 PM

At least I tried, I told him I would show up, and I did. so I had a set back. It's just another story to share on my journey!

Um, who has two thumbs and has never done a group ride before because she's too intimidated? THIS GIRL. At least you got out there. Way to go!

Edited by nmladic 2011-05-29 11:20 AM
2011-05-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3523640

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
ha ha!! thanks Nicole!
2011-05-29 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3523753

Congrats Nicole! I did the Chicago marathon last year and your report's bringing back some pretty great memories. Good luck with training through the summer... it becomes a battle of attrition. Between my will to head outside and my desire to sit in front of the A/C and watch other people sweat on TV.
2011-05-29 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3523640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-05-29 11:17 AM
khharms - 2011-05-28 7:54 PM

Um, who has two thumbs and has never done a group ride before because she's too intimidated? THIS GIRL. At least you got out there. Way to go!

Well said!  I couldn't agree more.

I'm going for a 56 mile ride tomorrow.  My longest ride so far is 40 miles.  I think my brother in law is going with me.  That should be interesting.  It's also going to be 96 degrees.  Heat, humidity and in-laws.  What could be better?

Christy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56