BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-24 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4008129

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 11:08 AM

quincyf - 2012-01-23 12:10 PM Oh, and yesterday I was posting in a thread in Iron Distance talk that kind of got out of hand, but some of you might find interesting. Some really deep and heart felt posts despite the snarky OP...if you have a few minutes...

Thanks for pointing this out. Some truly inspiring stories of what some of the people in this community have overcome and accomplished. Your story is definitely one of them.

Thanks Ted, glad you read it...it really is a classic BT thread...

2012-01-24 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

OK guys, we talked about race planning, or actually picking and that got me thinking about how I plan my life around Triathlon. I have two small kids, and a husband who races the same races as I do, so my life can become a train wreck really fast. I have to stay on top of things, and my nature is to plan it all out. Anyway, I was going to show you guys my planning system (actually it's just a bunch of calendars on a door, but it works for me)...but it seemed like such a great topic, I went ahead and wrote a post in my blog...I'll repost here as I don't expect you guys to read my blog...just wanted you to understand the voice I wrote in might sound a little different than the voice I post in here on this mentor group...ok that's an overly complex thought...apparently I am at CaffoMax...better stop with the coffee...

Race and Training Planning

I always go a bit stir crazy during Chicago winters.  Nothing magical about that, everyone deals with some cabin fever here…it’s hard to get outside, hard to get a workout, the house gets stale, the kids go crazy, everyone gets sick.

So we cope. We find things to do, we try to get outside as much as the weather will allow, and most importantly, we get ready for next season!

My first year I just tried to stay in shape. Last year I tried to stay in shape and I spent a LOT of time planning our season. This year I am staying in shape, planning our season, AND trying to work ahead on anything I can so I have less to do when the weather is nice…but that’s a topic for another day. Let’s talk planning today!

For many years I have used a large paper calendar hanging in our kitchen to keep everyone organized. I would love to do this electronically, but for now, the low tech solution, along with the huge visual anchor in the heart of our home is still the most efficient way to keep everything humming along smoothly. It is color coded…Pink for Her Highness, Light Blue for the Boy, Dark Blue for Babydaddy, Dark Green for Family, Light Green for other folks (babysitters/dog walkers/etc.) and Red for changes (sorry, can’t help that…it’s from my Navy days of running a flight schedule on a white board). Oh, I almost forgot…I am Orange!

Here is a pic, the paper calendar is on top…

Above the paper calendar is two sets of pens. I love sharpies for writing on the paper calendar.

So far I haven’t shared anything particularly earth shattering here, but the really handy tool is hanging below the paper calendar. It is a laminated 2012 calendar. The other set of pens on the right are dry erase pens in the same colors as my sharpies.

When I first started trying to plan races, I would look at my paper calendar, but it didn’t give me a global sense of how training and racing would intersect with other important events in our family life…

It also was difficult to understand how all of the races we wanted to do would impact our training for (then HIM Racine) other races, and how things like a week of night shifts or a family vacation would fall in a training cycle…

Now you can see in the close up how we have some races pencilled in…you can also see some other stuff in there…the orange is the earliest date I might be able to start back swim training…the pink is my daughter’s last day of school…the black is the training anticipated based on Don Fink’s 30 week Ironman plan…

I love having everything laid out because it becomes very apparent when I have scheduled myself into some sort of trainwreck. The dry erase also makes it easy to ‘spitball’ race ideas…what might work in a certain weekend, etc…the stuff on top of the June is just races I am contemplating or might try to fit in if I am healthy by then.

I cannot emphasize enough how useful these two calendars together have been…it’s a cheap, low tech solution to organizing and scheduling 4 busy lives made busier by Mommy and Daddy’s insistence on not giving up our selfish pursuits. Although it can be complex, having everything laid out for everyone to see goes a long way toward keeping everyone sane and happy.

I often read stories about how family members become resentful of Mommy or Daddy pursuing endurance sports, and it always seems to be the result of a lack of communication and a lack of ownership for everyone in the family. It’s not all puppie dogs and rainbows at my house, but at least everyone gets a piece of the calendar and it’s never a surprise to anyone else…

2012-01-24 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4007872

User image

Sutton
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 10:43 AM
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-24 8:31 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 9:05 PM
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-23 6:05 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-23 11:51 AM

So, what's everyone up to today?

I had a nice streak going, but my son caught a cold at the gym daycare and now my daughter and I have it. I could press through and get a workout done, but I don't really see a reason to do that.

instead I'm going to spend some time working on my off season house projects. For those of you who are planning on their first real season of training and racing, it might behoove you to look around your house and see if there are any places you can "work ahead" now so you don't have to worry about it later...my house tends to get neglected when it's nice out and I want to be runningridingswimmingdrinkingbeeronthepatio...

I have identified 3 major choke points in my home that need to be fixed. Both to make getting to my bike and tri gear easier and make everyone's stuff easier to find/put away. For me it's our office, our mudroom, and our master closet...all of our disorganization stems from those three places, so I'm on a mission to reorganize them now so I can 'play' all summer long. I've got DH on board and we're slowly putting a dent in all three (they have to be done simultaneously). I am being really hard on myself about getting rid of crap we don't need or don't use anymore. (and no Dave, I can't talk Chris into converting the office into a workout room...not yet anyhow)...

What non-training/tri related stuff can you do now so you can spend more time training (relatively) guilt free?

Ahhh! THE LIST... I've debate for sometime and I think, I've resolve this issue. I'm selling the house including THE LIST. Darn Q, you had to remind me...

Where were we, Oh, went for a 6km run at 5:30pm, 36F, windy, rainy, icy roads, slipped, stepped into several pot holes, I decided to shorten it to 4km.

In my sweats, watching the NFL Total Access to see how I'm going to bet the SB (partial to the Pats).

Working from home all week, so my DW has booked meetings for the next 3 evenings, 25 years of marriage. Got to love it, more time to train.

Michel   how do you see the SB going on points?  (50.5 I think it is)    besides training, you can also have beer and pizza every night. 

Those numbers look good, haven't looked at the spread though, is it 3.5 for the Giants?

Wine is the preferred beverage (Beer makes me feel blotted), Pizza is always good! Cool

That's it for this mornin'

Back to work...

I'm thinking the over if Gronkowski is healthy, if he's not then under. He makes that much of a difference.

btw, for the record, this is not a happy SB for a disgruntled Jets fan. Just sayin.

I had a nice streak going, but my son caught a cold at the gym daycare and now my daughter and I have it. I could press through and get a workout done, but I don't really see a reason to do that.

instead I'm going to spend some time working on my off season house projects. For those of you who are planning on their first real season of training and racing, it might behoove you to look around your house and see if there are any places you can "work ahead" now so you don't have to worry about it later...my house tends to get neglected when it's nice out and I want to be runningridingswimmingdrinkingbeeronthepatio...

I have identified 3 major choke points in my home that need to be fixed. Both to make getting to my bike and tri gear easier and make everyone's stuff easier to find/put away. For me it's our office, our mudroom, and our master closet...all of our disorganization stems from those three places, so I'm on a mission to reorganize them now so I can 'play' all summer long. I've got DH on board and we're slowly putting a dent in all three (they have to be done simultaneously). I am being really hard on myself about getting rid of crap we don't need or don't use anymore. (and no Dave, I can't talk Chris into converting the office into a workout room...not yet anyhow)...

What non-training/tri related stuff can you do now so you can spend more time training (relatively) guilt free?

Ahhh! THE LIST... I've debate for sometime and I think, I've resolve this issue. I'm selling the house including THE LIST. Darn Q, you had to remind me...

Where were we, Oh, went for a 6km run at 5:30pm, 36F, windy, rainy, icy roads, slipped, stepped into several pot holes, I decided to shorten it to 4km.

In my sweats, watching the NFL Total Access to see how I'm going to bet the SB (partial to the Pats).

Working from home all week, so my DW has booked meetings for the next 3 evenings, 25 years of marriage. Got to love it, more time to train.

Michel   how do you see the SB going on points?  (50.5 I think it is)    besides training, you can also have beer and pizza every night. 

Those numbers look good, haven't looked at the spread though, is it 3.5 for the Giants?

Wine is the preferred beverage (Beer makes me feel blotted), Pizza is always good! Cool

Back to work...

I'm thinking the over if Gronkowski is healthy, if he's not then under. He makes that much of a difference.

btw, for the record, this is not a happy SB for a disgruntled Jets fan. Just sayin.

Giant's front four is going to be too much to handle for the Pats... They don't need to blitz and they'll have 5 players roaming the secondary. Tom B is great, but he can't thread the needle that well and without making mistakes. And the Pats defence is not going to have many 3 and outs against Eli, Cruz and Nicks... 3.5 is looking easy.

The SB, It's all about who makes the best chilli, drinking beer and the entertainment... Back to work.

Ciao

PS mind if I ask what ski resort your going to carve some turns?

2012-01-24 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4008117

User image

Sutton
trei - 2012-01-24 12:02 PM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-21 7:30 AM
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-20 6:03 PM

Got my run in today, not bad.  Took a cool shower, as per Dave Innocent, felt a little better.  Thanks

We really need to stop texting while driving!  At least 6 drivers passed me while "playing" with their phones.  I kept my eye on them just in case I had to bail.  Cry

"LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE"

How about you experienced runners, any suggestions?

I run in the dark all the time, but I ground myself "on campus" when it's dark.  That means I won't go out of my neighborhood.  I always wear a reflective vest when it's even a little dark.  Having passed runners when I'm driving in the dark, I can tell you the vest makes a big difference.  I always run against the flow of traffic so I can hurl myself out of the way if someone doesn't see me, which I've had to do many times.  You just have to pay special attention b/c most drivers don't.  I'm lucky b/c our town has a great trail system for running and biking.  Something like 50 miles of trails.  So when it's daylight and I'm running long, I run about 2 miles to get on the trail and then stay on it.

You are right, though.  The phone/driving thing is a big issue.  I'll admit I've been a chronic offender.  BUT, my New Year's resolution has been to silence my phone and put it in my purse every time I get behind the wheel.  I'm glad to say I've been pretty good about keeping it so far!

Off to a spin class and then running after.  Have a good day everyone!

I run in the dark all the time also, but I have the "luxury" of living in the boonies, so when I see a car on the dirt road its me that is surprised.

Same here, boonies, is the way to live! Run with the frontal just to keep the deer from running into me.

2012-01-24 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

A video for you...

"maybe I'll just use a snorkel."

2012-01-24 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4008242

User image

Another quick question:  I bought a compression shirt - just exactly how tight are these supposed to be?  Lets just say I feel a little self conscious looking at myself with it on.  Maybe after my training???

I have made pretty good progress now with breathing on the right side while swimming.  It doesn't seem so unnatural now and I can switch right to left as needed. 

I thought it would be fun if everyone could post one of their favorite workout songs, so that I can add that to my MP3 player then think of the group when the tunes come on.  Since its my suggestion I will go first:  Journey - Anything is possible (off the newest CD).  Looking forward to hearing your suggestions...

2012-01-24 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4008237

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-24 1:07 PM

Back to work...

Back to work...

Giant's front four is going to be too much to handle for the Pats... They don't need to blitz and they'll have 5 players roaming the secondary. Tom B is great, but he can't thread the needle that well and without making mistakes. And the Pats defence is not going to have many 3 and outs against Eli, Cruz and Nicks... 3.5 is looking easy.

The SB, It's all about who makes the best chilli, drinking beer and the entertainment... Back to work.

Ciao

That's how the Giants beat them last time, smack Brady in the mouth and he becomes mortal. Oh, and for me, watching those teams square off will definitely make it all about the beer.

Going to Mad River Glen up by Stowe Vermont, hopefully I won't need the services of anyone in your field of work

2012-01-24 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran

My Reality check for comments

I got upto 7 1/2 minutes of jogging in my walk'n.  I did 10 minutes of warm up on nordic trak (indoor cross country ski)

By the way, since I live in New Jersey, Go Giants!  However we do resent they are still called NY.  Can't wait for Baseball!

2012-01-24 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4008237

User image

Veteran

Back to work...

[

Back to work...

Ciao

Wine is also my beverage of choice. WINO = me!

RE: the SB predictions...from your lips to God's ear! Not that God cares much about football.

Funny...in 2007 when the Giants beat the Pats in the SB, I broke my toe the day before the game. Derailed my training for a Half Marathon that spring. BUT...I'm superstitious...so if it means that I need to break my toe on 2/4 in order to have Eli and the Giants smack Brady and the Pats down on 2/5 in the HOUSE THAT PEYTON BUILT...it just might be worth it!!

2012-01-24 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4008828

User image

Veteran
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-24 5:18 PM

I got upto 7 1/2 minutes of jogging in my walk'n.  I did 10 minutes of warm up on nordic trak (indoor cross country ski)

By the way, since I live in New Jersey, Go Giants!  However we do resent they are still called NY.  Can't wait for Baseball!

Great job on the jog.  You're getting there!

Yes... Go Giants!  Most of my out-laws are in NJ.  Hopefully a few of them will come out to Indy to watch the Giants beat the Pats in 2 weeks!  Makes it easier with a place to stay. 

2012-01-24 6:53 PM

User image

New user

Athens, GA
Welp, Doc said no running for several weeks, so looks like I'm gonna have to suck up and get in the pool Sad Panda! Thanks Q for the scheduling. Being a student and mom makes life crazy. Anyone know of a good calendar where I can try to track all of this together? I know this semester is going to be nuts while trying to add in the training.

2012-01-24 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4008828

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

Tom, well done!! Celebrate those wins and use them as motivation to keep pushin further.

I see you have the Suffolk County 5k in your race listing. That's in my neck of the woods and I'll be there this year. Let me know if you want a scouting report on the course(spoiler alert...flat and windy)

As far as the Giants go....Jersey can have them

2012-01-24 7:44 PM
in reply to: #4008636

User image

Sutton
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 3:52 PM
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-24 1:07 PM

Back to work...

Back to work...

Ciao

That's how the Giants beat them last time, smack Brady in the mouth and he becomes mortal. Oh, and for me, watching those teams square off will definitely make it all about the beer.

Going to Mad River Glen up by Stowe Vermont, hopefully I won't need the services of anyone in your field of work

How's the base at MRG and Stowe. Cause where I am (hour and a half due north), it is melting away this week... Hope you get some good snow...

2012-01-24 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4008291

User image

Veteran
trei - 2012-01-24 1:37 PM

Another quick question:  I bought a compression shirt - just exactly how tight are these supposed to be?  Lets just say I feel a little self conscious looking at myself with it on.  Maybe after my training???

I have made pretty good progress now with breathing on the right side while swimming.  It doesn't seem so unnatural now and I can switch right to left as needed. 

I thought it would be fun if everyone could post one of their favorite workout songs, so that I can add that to my MP3 player then think of the group when the tunes come on.  Since its my suggestion I will go first:  Journey - Anything is possible (off the newest CD).  Looking forward to hearing your suggestions...

I could use some new music! I'll add that one to my playlist.  I have a few different ones, for running I really like:

This is How a Heart Breaks - Rob Thomas

Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall

Temperature - Sean Paul

Shake It - Metro Station

Hit That - Offspring

Wow, now that I see all of those together I have a very strange collection of music on my ipod! Embarassed Oh Well, whatever keeps you movin right?!?

2012-01-24 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4009176

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Emmrald - 2012-01-24 6:53 PM Welp, Doc said no running for several weeks, so looks like I'm gonna have to suck up and get in the pool Sad Panda! Thanks Q for the scheduling. Being a student and mom makes life crazy. Anyone know of a good calendar where I can try to track all of this together? I know this semester is going to be nuts while trying to add in the training.

Wendy,

I bought the laminated calendar at Office Depot (Max?). Same with the large paper calendar. I use the laminated one for long range planning (kids vacations, school events, races, weddings, finals, term papers due, etc) then I transfer over to the paper one for day to day living...I HIGHLY recommend both, positioned closely together like in my picture...

And....go get in the pool!

2012-01-24 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4007426

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-24 6:45 AM

Thanks to some early comments I tried a new route for my running (really walking  LOL) in a developement across the street from my house.  And it is exactly a 2 mile loop.  Plus there are a number of side streets that I'm sure will almost double it when I'm ready.

It's funny, most have commented about the "dreadmil", I go out with no music, concentrate on my body, and enjoy the scenery.  I like the quiet, allows me to think, or not.

Of course I get to hear my thighs and calfs yell at me the whole TIME!  LOL

I also went to Sam's and picked up some wind pants and a jacket.  I think I might have caught something.  This site is contagious hehehe

Hold up hold up.  Did you say Sam's?   this group is practically sponsored (hoping) by Costco 

2012-01-24 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4007872

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 9:43 AM

Back to work...

Ok  I'm in really good shape here in this playoff pool I'm in.   I essentially KNOW the other 5 contenders are going to take the Pats.    I own a tie breaker advantage that was chosen before the playoffs.   I picked the SB loser as the Pats.  

I HAVE to take the Giants to win this thing.   This could mean a new bike for me since the other $$  I had saved for the bike  is going for Melissa's braces.        So I know I'm taking the Giants no matter what the point spread is (Giants + 3.5 right now)     the over/under is now at 55 points.      I like your comment about Gronkowski  that makes sense. to me   So  I'll keep my eye on his health.              I know you all will be hoping for  Giants win for ME!  wont you????   

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-24 9:24 PM
2012-01-24 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4008071

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-01-24 10:47 AM
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 9:36 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 9:08 PM
Sammeg - 2012-01-23 1:53 PM

Hey everybody, long time no post Embarassed

Work's been way crazy the last coupla weeks and has knocked me off track(which by the way, is REALLY easy to do). But, got back at it yesterday w/a 5 mile run in some snow and ice thanks to a small snowstorm we got over the weekend. Last year this storm woulda been blip on the radar with all the snow we had but this weekend, the local supermarkets looked like the zombie apocalypse was upon us and they could only be stopped with bread and milk.

Here's a lil clip of my wifes's running partner enjoying the white stuff over the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9ZJVjsCb4&list=UUedRO_4h-ilEkMFbOk2tf8w&index=1&feature=plcp

As far as taking care of the home stuff, that's awesome advice. I put together 2 lists, one for the stuff that really needs to get done and another listing what tasks buys me the most equity w/the wife. Then I throw the first one away Smile.  Makes for a much happier household if the garage door is working while I'm out running.

I have a 10 mile race on the calendar for Saturday which I have decided to approach like a training run since we're leaving for a ski trip later that day and I want to save my legs for the mountain.

Happy Monday!

Ted-   Re: list(s)  You are a smart man!    10 mile run then ski?  THAT would be impossible for me.   Good luck with that!    Love that Dog!

Hahaa, My wife has the same sentiments. I think her exact words were, "What's wrong w/you? You're such a jacka$$@!!"

Truth is I'm in it for the free beer, it ends at the Blue Point Brewery and it definitely will not be run at race effort.

I often think about beer in the last miles of a race...other times I cry a little bit...I like to mix that with some random angry shouting...Oriolepwr and I actually ended up running the last 6 of the Chicago Mary together so he can vouch for me...love the beer at the end....have a great time. And on another note, aren't you glad you are now the kind of guy that drops 10 and then goes skiing. If that's being a , then sign me up!!!

Ya but I think you were angerly shouting at ME!  J/K    Seriously Q had a plan!  and we stuck to it.  Till she dropped me  on that damn bridge with .10 to go.     The beer was really good at the end.   

2012-01-24 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
trei - 2012-01-24 12:37 PM

Ya, those are tough...compression means tight. DH used to throw a large tank top over his compression shirts b/c he felt weird...now he just rocks them...a combo platter of losing some pudge and just not worrying about it anymore...

This is so great, you will not regret this. 

Switch-Will Smith

Paralyzer-Finger 11

In the Middle-Jimmy Eats World

Hot 'n' Cold-Katy Perry

My Love is Like Whoa-Mya

Catch Yer Own Train-The Silver Seas

That's Not My Name-The Ting Tings

FULL DISCLAIMER: My husband hates my music choices. You may too, I am ok with that. I think I pick stuff for running that matches my cadence. Thanks for sharing yours...I'll check them all out...always looking for new ideas...

Edited by quincyf 2012-01-24 9:38 PM
2012-01-24 9:44 PM
in reply to: #4009439

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-01-24 9:34 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-24 10:47 AM
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 9:36 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 9:08 PM
Sammeg - 2012-01-23 1:53 PM

Hey everybody, long time no post Embarassed

Work's been way crazy the last coupla weeks and has knocked me off track(which by the way, is REALLY easy to do). But, got back at it yesterday w/a 5 mile run in some snow and ice thanks to a small snowstorm we got over the weekend. Last year this storm woulda been blip on the radar with all the snow we had but this weekend, the local supermarkets looked like the zombie apocalypse was upon us and they could only be stopped with bread and milk.

Here's a lil clip of my wifes's running partner enjoying the white stuff over the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9ZJVjsCb4&list=UUedRO_4h-ilEkMFbOk2tf8w&index=1&feature=plcp

As far as taking care of the home stuff, that's awesome advice. I put together 2 lists, one for the stuff that really needs to get done and another listing what tasks buys me the most equity w/the wife. Then I throw the first one away Smile.  Makes for a much happier household if the garage door is working while I'm out running.

I have a 10 mile race on the calendar for Saturday which I have decided to approach like a training run since we're leaving for a ski trip later that day and I want to save my legs for the mountain.

Happy Monday!

Ted-   Re: list(s)  You are a smart man!    10 mile run then ski?  THAT would be impossible for me.   Good luck with that!    Love that Dog!

Hahaa, My wife has the same sentiments. I think her exact words were, "What's wrong w/you? You're such a jacka$$@!!"

Truth is I'm in it for the free beer, it ends at the Blue Point Brewery and it definitely will not be run at race effort.

I often think about beer in the last miles of a race...other times I cry a little bit...I like to mix that with some random angry shouting...Oriolepwr and I actually ended up running the last 6 of the Chicago Mary together so he can vouch for me...love the beer at the end....have a great time. And on another note, aren't you glad you are now the kind of guy that drops 10 and then goes skiing. If that's being a , then sign me up!!!

Ya but I think you were angerly shouting at ME!  J/K    Seriously Q had a plan!  and we stuck to it.  Till she dropped me  on that damn bridge with .10 to go.     The beer was really good at the end.   

OMG I totally forgot that...I was genuinely confused as to where you had gone...I was about to go back and search thru those bushes. I mean one minute you were there and then poof, you were gone. We were both altered mental status...remember me trying to get us home on the train...what a disaster. I couldn't pick the right one to save my life. And Chris was giving me a hard time, yet not contributing anything helpful. I just remember wanting potato chips and beer...I still do, but for different reasons...

2012-01-24 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4009422

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-01-24 9:23 PM
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 9:43 AM

Back to work...

Ok  I'm in really good shape here in this playoff pool I'm in.   I essentially KNOW the other 5 contenders are going to take the Pats.    I own a tie breaker advantage that was chosen before the playoffs.   I picked the SB loser as the Pats.  

I HAVE to take the Giants to win this thing.   This could mean a new bike for me since the other $$  I had saved for the bike  is going for Melissa's braces.        So I know I'm taking the Giants no matter what the point spread is (Giants + 3.5 right now)     the over/under is now at 55 points.      I like your comment about Gronkowski  that makes sense. to me   So  I'll keep my eye on his health.              I know you all will be hoping for  Giants win for ME!  wont you????   

Not to dredge up personal ethos here, but can I just say what a good Dad you are to put Melissas beautiful smile before a tri bike. Without getting into minutae, not every parent does this for their kids. It deserves applause! And you deserve to win that damn pool. When are you and Eileen and the girls coming down to hang? PM me and we'll set it up...

2012-01-24 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
trei - 2012-01-24 12:37 PM

Don't be self conscience.  Be comfortable.     That's great news  about the bi-lateral swim progress!   Think about how good you will be at it in a couple more months!

Compression shirts are extremely tight.   I get the next size up to feel a lil more comfortable.    After you do a couple of tri's  look around, we all do not look like Craig Alexander, But wear compression stuff anyhow.    

Great idea about posting workout songs!

A song I play before a running race is   "You wreck me" - Tom Petty   it gets me fired up for some reason.

on long runs  I listen to a lot of Neil Young songs,  it reminds me that its a long slow distance and to just settle back and enjoy the music. 

2012-01-24 10:46 PM

User image

New user

Sacramento area

Hey Everyone.  Just a quick check-in.  Been focusing on running with swim and bike workouts starting next week.  Woot woot!  Looking back over my running log from last year I realize that I spent a good deal of 2011 complaining about the heat.  Northern Cali gets hot.  So I'm trying to be grateful for the cool weather.  It's funny that we're talking about running/racing tunes because all my runs prior to today have been sans tunes.  I'm trying to get used to the idea that my races will feature a soundtrack of me wheezing and panting and drooling and whimpering.  However, today I forgot my Garmin and needed my i-phone, so I put on my headphones and treated myself to . . . wait for it . . . Mastodon's "Crack the Skye" in its entirety.  Yep.  Prog metal.  That, some hip-hop, some funk, and some classic rock tend to keep me on the road.  Here are a few off the top of my head that have come in handy on recent runs:

Phish, "The Divided Sky" and "Time Turns Elastic"

Run DMC, "Rock Box"

Ted Nugent, "Great White Buffalo"

Korn, "Freak on a Leash"

Allman Brothers, "Jessica"

Rush, "Spirit of Radio"

Anything by James Brown. 

Oh - and an embarassing pleasure that works amazingly well on the road is Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light."  I've gotten MILES out of that one.   

Props to all you folks getting it done in the cold weather, in the pool, with injuries and time conflicts and family priorities and all else.  I'm consistently inspired by reading all you do - from the vets to the newbies.  And I'm clearly in good company.  

Cheers!

-Kent 

2012-01-25 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4009185

User image

Veteran
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 7:58 PM

Tom, well done!! Celebrate those wins and use them as motivation to keep pushin further.

I see you have the Suffolk County 5k in your race listing. That's in my neck of the woods and I'll be there this year. Let me know if you want a scouting report on the course(spoiler alert...flat and windy)

As far as the Giants go....Jersey can have them

Thanks, I want to make sure I will upto it before I register.  I'll let you know.  I'm really a Miami fan anyway.

2012-01-25 7:38 AM

User image

Sutton
trei - 2012-01-24 1:37 PM

Here a few songs that I enjoy:

A Quiter Never Wins   Jonny Lang  Album Lie to Me (I believe, he recorded it in is mid teens)

It's A Man's Man's Man's World James Brown

Meterology  Overseer off the Claim Soundtrack (Greatest ski movie, until "All. I. Can." came out)

Tin Pan Alley Stevie Ray Vaugnan

But then on the Ipod nano, I've got Classical, country, prog metal, rap (yes to my sons' disbelief), folk, new age, jazz, blues, reggae, R&B, Latin, classic rock and oldies like Ray, Frank and Etta James ... The state of mind dictates.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44