BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-01-14 6:02 AM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Blanda and Renee-Congrats on the races!

Thanks for the encouragement on taking time off. It's been frustrating because I was just sick and took a couple of weeks off around Thanksgiving and I was just getting back on track with the training that time after choosing to take a little downtime. Now I was getting back on track from that and-sick again! Arrrrgh!

Seriously, though, I've been through it before and I know I'll be ok-I'm just anxious to get going.

I didn't end up doing anything yesterday. I have better hopes for today.

2013-01-14 6:08 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Congrats to the racers!

To those new at racing -- what Randy said.  It starts to feel 'comfortable' pretty quickly.  (I don't mean that it doesn't hurt.  I mean the pain begins to feel comfortable!)

I made it out on the bike this weekend for what used to be a routine ride, but was really really hard this time around.  It felt great, though (more of that comfortable pain) and the weather was ridiculously nice.  A little warm, in fact.

2013-01-14 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4576813

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hoos - 2013-01-13 11:40 PM

Finished my 4th run of the week (for 3 weeks straight!) --  a good, long run -- 70 minutes.  Same as last week's long run.

Best part is -- I did it through a very tough work week -- yes, it can be done!

Scott.

Scott-you will see huge benefits from the consistency and increased frequency in running.  I always appreciate my workouts more during a tough work week. Need that outlet!

2013-01-14 8:55 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Congratulations to all of the racers this last weekend and to everyone for getting in some pretty awesome training. Like I said before, this group is proving to be very inspiring.

I had a brief swim lesson yesterday and I just wanted to post a little bit of my takeaway from it because I think I may make good gains based on one, very short, lesson. I have worked with this coach on and off for the last six months and she is pretty incredible. I feel fortunate to have found someone local who is this good.

Takeaways from a 15 minute swim lesson:

A couple little things with my catch out in front and pulling deeper in the water/away from my body more to generate more power. She also made me work on flip turns which was interesting but actually very productive as far as getting faster over 100 yards. Making me look more like a real swimmer is a side benefit.

The big thing was that she said my stroke looked really good and that I should be able to go fast with my current stroke. She then watched me out of the periphery while coaching my daughter (for 45 minutes). Afterwards she told me that no matter how hard I was swimming that my cadence was the same, I was just pulling harder. She says I will never go faster without increasing my cadence. She set me up with a tempo trainer with the goal of increasing the tempo gradually over the next two weeks.

I swam this morning with the tempo trainer and at first it was really hard to keep up with the higher pace. As the workout got longer and longer the faster cadence got easier and easier. It is pretty amazing how the body can adapt, even over the duration of one workout. The best part is that by the end I was actually going faster and feeling somewhat comfortable with the higher cadence. I think tomorrow I will increase the rate on the tt by 1 stroke per minute and see how that goes. I really felt pretty amazing in the pool by the end of the workout (after feeling pretty lousy at the beginning) and think this may yield some good results.

Nothing ground breaking but it is amazing how sometimes you can think you are doing all the right things and be missing something as important as stroke turnover/cadence. I have been pretty stagnant in my swimming progress but I have only been working on catch and pull. I have ignored cadence. Here is hoping that a slightly different, additional focus will get me off of this plateau.

Time will tell.
2013-01-14 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4577156

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Great information Jason, thanks!

At some point I might need to pull my coach aside at Masters practice to take a look at my stroke, but the cadence information is good too. I might try to turn it up a notch next practice.

Practice this morning went well! I kept up with the people in my lane and even had to pass a guy! I'm no longer the slowest on the team! lol

Maybe in a few months I can graduate to a faster lane.

Training plan calls for a Z1 spin at 100 RPM cadence. I really don't feel like I get much out of these particular workouts. I do concentrate on form, so maybe that's a plus, but it's REALLY hard to force myself to stay in a Z1 heart rate zone!

2013-01-14 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Jason, so is more strokes better? If so, why the focus on reducing swim strokes and increasing glide? It seems like glide is bad if you're trying to increase strokes per lap.

2013-01-14 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4577405

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
WoodrowCall - 2013-01-14 11:36 AM

Jason, so is more strokes better? If so, why the focus on reducing swim strokes and increasing glide? It seems like glide is bad if you're trying to increase strokes per lap.

There is not a lot of consensus that glide is a good thing. In fact, may people think that the TI based swimming with reduced strokes per length and long glide is a great way to learn to swim but a terrible way to learn to swim fast. People tend to fall on one side or the other of this issue, either advocating more glide or less glide/more strokes. I learned to swim using TI and after great progress early in my triathlon career, I have essentially stalled out in swim speed gains. Hence my need to try something different.

With swimming, speed is a function of number of strokes/minute x length (distance) per stroke. If you take 25 strokes to go 25 yards and it takes you 25 seconds, you are getting 1 yard/stroke. If you can do the same 25 yards in 12.5 strokes you are now getting 2 yards per stroke. If you can then continue to take 1 stroke per second, in the same 25 seconds you can now go 50 yards.

It is all part of the swimming equation. You can go too far in either direction. Imagine a 5 year old just wind-milling away, taking 100 strokes/minute but going nowhere. Not good. Imagine the 70 year old in the lane next to you. Only taking a stroke every 15 seconds but going nowhere. Not good. We need to find the proper balance between stroke efficiency and stroke rate. It is often different for different swimmers. You can look up how many strokes it takes different Olympic swimmers to go 50 meters. It is very different for different Olympians, yet they are all pretty darn fast.

For me, I have been working pretty hard on stroke efficiency but I had sort of forgotten that an efficient stroke won't do much if you only use it 30 times/minute.

My goal is to maintain my current number of strokes per lap (maintain efficiency) while increasing my number of strokes per minute (cadence) so I can go further in the same amount of time.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-01-14 11:02 AM
2013-01-14 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4577443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Jason-That makes sense, thanks for clarifying!
2013-01-14 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4577454

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
WoodrowCall - 2013-01-14 12:01 PM

Jason-That makes sense, thanks for clarifying!

If you go to Randy's blog there are some links to videos with Gerry Rodriguez (an all time open water swimming great--ie he would likely beat Andy Potts out of the water in his prime--per report) talking about exactly this issue. Well worth watching.

Sheila Taormina's book, "Swim Speed Secrets" also addresses this exact same thing.

Both are excellent swimming resources. Too bad for me that reading and watching videos can't make me faster. I have to actually do the work and learn to apply the principles.....
2013-01-14 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4577443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

wannabefaster - 2013-01-14 8:58 AM
WoodrowCall - 2013-01-14 11:36 AM Jason, so is more strokes better? If so, why the focus on reducing swim strokes and increasing glide? It seems like glide is bad if you're trying to increase strokes per lap.
There is not a lot of consensus that glide is a good thing. In fact, may people think that the TI based swimming with reduced strokes per length and long glide is a great way to learn to swim but a terrible way to learn to swim fast. People tend to fall on one side or the other of this issue, either advocating more glide or less glide/more strokes. I learned to swim using TI and after great progress early in my triathlon career, I have essentially stalled out in swim speed gains. Hence my need to try something different.

With swimming, speed is a function of number of strokes/minute x length (distance) per stroke. If you take 25 strokes to go 25 yards and it takes you 25 seconds, you are getting 1 yard/stroke. If you can do the same 25 yards in 12.5 strokes you are now getting 2 yards per stroke. If you can then continue to take 1 stroke per second, in the same 25 seconds you can now go 50 yards.

It is all part of the swimming equation. You can go too far in either direction. Imagine a 5 year old just wind-milling away, taking 100 strokes/minute but going nowhere. Not good. Imagine the 70 year old in the lane next to you. Only taking a stroke every 15 seconds but going nowhere. Not good. We need to find the proper balance between stroke efficiency and stroke rate. It is often different for different swimmers. You can look up how many strokes it takes different Olympic swimmers to go 50 meters. It is very different for different Olympians, yet they are all pretty darn fast.

For me, I have been working pretty hard on stroke efficiency but I had sort of forgotten that an efficient stroke won't do much if you only use it 30 times/minute.

My goal is to maintain my current number of strokes per lap (maintain efficiency) while increasing my number of strokes per minute (cadence) so I can go further in the same amount of time.

If you don't mind a former swimmer chiming in here.  The key as you stated above is finding the optimum balance.  In endurance swimming glide in not necessarily bad.  It's about rhythm.  Getting maximum power at a stroke rate that you can maintain for a long distance.

Too many swimmers that want to increase the stroke rate end up compromising thier stroke quality and/or efficiency.  If I am swimming anything over 500 yards I am trying to find that 'go forever' pace.  i stretch out and try to get maximum benefit for the energy expended.

Increasing the stroke rate and being dead at the end of a swim is a poor way to do a triathlon.

Just my 2 cents.

2013-01-14 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

So I didn't get out yesterday at all.  That thing called life got in the way.  This morning it was back to the PT.  Here is what he had in store for me today:

45 minute stationary bike ride with 4 hill climbs.  Heart rate at 140 on the climbs and 130 other than that.  I have not yet done heart rate training so I am not sure what those number mean.

45 minute core exercise routine.  I have been doing this just over a week and I think it is helping.  I see the difference most after a bike ride.  Far less fatique even when riding faster.

1 mile on the treadmill.  He wanted to see my technique accepting that it is not exactly the same as being outdoors.  I ran the mile in 11:30 which is slow but two good things.  First I was able to run the entire mile without having to walk.  Second I did the last quarter mile at a 6 MPH pace.

I have seen these guys for multiple achilles issues and a hamstring issue.  One of the young therapists who works with the local high schools is going to be working with me on training through the sprint I am doing in April.  This should be fun.

Bottom line is I am tired and now get to go to work.  Such is the life.  My wife asked if I was exhausted.  I said, actually more energized.  I love this sport.

Everybody have a great day.

2013-01-14 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4577568

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuartap - 2013-01-14 12:45 PM

wannabefaster - 2013-01-14 8:58 AM
WoodrowCall - 2013-01-14 11:36 AM Jason, so is more strokes better? If so, why the focus on reducing swim strokes and increasing glide? It seems like glide is bad if you're trying to increase strokes per lap.

If you don't mind a former swimmer chiming in here.  The key as you stated above is finding the optimum balance.  In endurance swimming glide in not necessarily bad.  It's about rhythm.  Getting maximum power at a stroke rate that you can maintain for a long distance.

Too many swimmers that want to increase the stroke rate end up compromising thier stroke quality and/or efficiency.  If I am swimming anything over 500 yards I am trying to find that 'go forever' pace.  i stretch out and try to get maximum benefit for the energy expended.

Increasing the stroke rate and being dead at the end of a swim is a poor way to do a triathlon.

Just my 2 cents.

Mind?

I love it.

Good reminder. I don't want to work so hard turning my arms over that I burn myself up or lose my hard earned form gains. Conversely, I don't want to leave all that speed out there if I could simply go faster while maintaining form. At first when I tried to up the cadence my form went to hell but as I got used to it I was able to concentrate on form while maintaining the higher cadence.

This coach pointed out to me that my spm was about 35 and most of her high school swimmers are around 45 spm, so I am significantly outside of what she sees as the "norm". Like I said, all I can do is try it and see if it makes me faster.

As always I am a work in progress.
2013-01-14 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

I get what everyone is saying about finding the happy medium between stroke frequency and stroke effort, but what's the first step in diagnosing what I need to do in order to go faster? I'm happy with what I can do right now, which in races last season worked out to be 2:00-2:20/100 depending on the length, but if I'm working to get faster, what do I work on first? Should I start by figuring out my stroke count per length, or per 50 (lap), or per minute? My workout sets are all generally at a pace I can maintain, I really never sprint, so I keep a consistent pace...should I try speeding up if my stroke count is low and I feel like I'm at a pace I can maintain? 

Thanks for all the advice!

2013-01-14 2:41 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-its hard to know the optimum balance between effort and stroke count. I would recommend trying some swim golf to compare strokes per 50 with time. Swim golf is basically you do a 50 and count your total strokes (up and back) and add it to your time. Say you swam the 50 in 51 seconds and used 30 strokes-your score would be 81.

Maybe do an easy, moderate and hard set using your current stroke rate and see what your "score" looks like. Might even want to do it a couple of times to have a better sample.

Then do the same easy, moderate and hard focusing on a quicker stroke rate and record the numbers. Comparing the 2 should at least give you an idea of how effort and stroke count influence your times. Certainly not an exact science but worth a shot.

2013-01-14 2:42 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Went to the gym to swim today now that the pool is back online but the water temp was 61 degrees! No way was i doing that. instead , I did a bike trainer for 60 minutes. Kind if tired from yesterday's race but overall I feel good. Question - I'm applying he 10% rule to my increases in my s/b/r but is it for the total, for the longs, the shorts, what does it refer to?
2013-01-14 2:54 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

With all of this talk about stroke cadence, glide and strokes per length I think its important to first get a comfortable, reproducible stroke.  Chances are that if someone is swimming 2:00 or more per 100 there are other more important things to work on with swim technique rather than your stroke rate/cadence.  With swimming being such a technically specific sport I think stroke rate/cadence is one of those things that will not fix or improve your technique. Until someone has a solid, technically sound stroke I would not worry too much about it.  I think there are lots of things that can be addressed that will make a bigger difference to a 2:00/100 swimmer rather than focusing on stroke rate.  Just my opinion as Ive been struggling to slowly improve over the last 3.5 years.

2013-01-14 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4578010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

dacuna01 - 2013-01-14 12:42 PM Went to the gym to swim today now that the pool is back online but the water temp was 61 degrees! No way was i doing that. instead , I did a bike trainer for 60 minutes. Kind if tired from yesterday's race but overall I feel good. Question - I'm applying he 10% rule to my increases in my s/b/r but is it for the total, for the longs, the shorts, what does it refer to?

I did a swim in Nov and they neglected to tell me the heaters had been off for 10 days.  The water temp was 49!  It was just a few weeks before my first tri so I was wearing my wetsuit to get more comfortable in it.  Still it was a VERY short workout.  I think I lasted about 500 yards.

As for the 10% rule, I am not sure how it is intended to be applied but this is how I am doing it.

Swim - ignore it completely.  I am a very strong swimmer so I doubt I can push myself too hard.  I have too much expereince to hurt myself in a pool.

Bike - I looked at it early but tend to fudge it a little now.  I think the difference is I have rides I want to do and they are as long as they are.  I wouldn'y try a 100 mile ride but if there was a stretch ride for me that exceeded 10% by a little, I would not hesitate.  40% or 50% I would not do however.

Run - I treat the 10% as gospel. I have had too many injuries running to make that mistake again.  My running time was severely limited last year with Achilles tendonitis and then a hamstring problem.  I am working with my PT and will not violate the 10% rule.

So I guess the bottom line is a diaper answer...it depends.Smile

2013-01-14 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Jason: Love the swim input!

Stuart: Thanks so much for your input too. It made me realize something I discovered yesterday during endurance day at swim team. I found myself covering more distance when I stretched out and glided a bit. Of course, on speed days it's hard to do that on the short stuff, but when he has us doing 200s and over, it gives me time to think about my stroke quality.

Missing workouts: I've missed my share. If I miss a long run day, I have my "rest" day that I can make it up on, but I haven't been bothered enough to do that. I just pick up on the next training day.

Last night I was late to swim team on endurance day, but got in 1600 meters before quitting time. Once a month he has warm up, then swim till he says stop.

Today I'm "Running up that road, running up that hill..." 4 mile hill run then swim team tonight.

Have a great evening!
2013-01-14 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4578052

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
slornow - 2013-01-14 12:54 PM

With all of this talk about stroke cadence, glide and strokes per length I think its important to first get a comfortable, reproducible stroke.  Chances are that if someone is swimming 2:00 or more per 100 there are other more important things to work on with swim technique rather than your stroke rate/cadence.  With swimming being such a technically specific sport I think stroke rate/cadence is one of those things that will not fix or improve your technique. Until someone has a solid, technically sound stroke I would not worry too much about it.  I think there are lots of things that can be addressed that will make a bigger difference to a 2:00/100 swimmer rather than focusing on stroke rate.  Just my opinion as Ive been struggling to slowly improve over the last 3.5 years.

Randy I would agree.  Working on stroke, rhythm & cardio at 2:00/100 would time better spent than worrying about cadence.  A solid foundation of those three should get most people down to 1:30-1:40/min with practice.  Worry about getting more strokes per after you are strong enough to swim 1000 yards straight through without killing yourself with a powerful stroke and comfortble rhythm.

2013-01-14 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4578010

User image

Master
South Alabama

dacuna01 - 2013-01-14 2:42 PM Went to the gym to swim today now that the pool is back online but the water temp was 61 degrees! No way was i doing that. instead , I did a bike trainer for 60 minutes. Kind if tired from yesterday's race but overall I feel good. Question - I'm applying he 10% rule to my increases in my s/b/r but is it for the total, for the longs, the shorts, what does it refer to?

Dave-I would have more flexibility with the 10% rule with biking and swimming as they are not as hard on the body as running....there is less impact. Of course, if someone has chronic shoulder issues they should probably be more careful with increasing their swim volume too quickly. I've always assumed the 10% rule applied to total weekly volume...for instance, increasing run total from 20 miles to 22 in roughly the same number of workouts. So, if you do 4X5 miles one week you should break down the 22 miles in a similar or relatively similar fashion.....Not 1 run of 15 miles and 1 of 5 miles

But, as with all things I think it depends on the experience of the athlete. Someone with years of consistent training in one discipline may be able to increase their weekly volume by more than 10% as their body is likely more acclimated to the work load.  

2013-01-14 6:00 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Just saw this link posted by my local tri club. 20 Best Running Songs of All Time. I have about half of them on my Ipod currently. Going to have to check out several of the ones I don't have.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-running-songs

2013-01-14 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4576912

User image

New user
Experior - 2013-01-14 6:08 AM

Congrats to the racers!

To those new at racing -- what Randy said.  It starts to feel 'comfortable' pretty quickly.  (I don't mean that it doesn't hurt.  I mean the pain begins to feel comfortable!)

I made it out on the bike this weekend for what used to be a routine ride, but was really really hard this time around.  It felt great, though (more of that comfortable pain) and the weather was ridiculously nice.  A little warm, in fact.

I don't know what comfortable pain is. I want the no pain triathlon route! I am in a pain flee zone. I understand sharp, stabbing, crushing, dull, pain scales, trauma pain, relationship pain, pain in the ___ pain, joint pain ok ok ok.I don't get Comfortable Pain.
2013-01-14 10:18 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

10% Rule:  Randy -- I think you pretty much nailed it.  People (like me) who have flaws in the swim stroke should be a little careful because very rapid increases can lead to shoulder problems.  Obviously the solution is to fix the flaws, but this doesn't happen overnight.  I would also say that once you've got a lot of miles (thousands) on your legs, it might be possible to be more aggressive with the run.  I would also add that intensity is a huge factor.  More so in running than in S/B, your total 'volume' is a combination of intensity and time.

Running songs:  I have nothing to contribute here as I don't (any longer) listen to music while running, but while typing this I'm watching (well, mostly listening) to a youtube video of "Chet Atkins and Friends" from 1987 (title says it's from 2004, but Chet died in 2001 and yes I can call him 'Chet', or at least did -- I met him a few times and even once recorded with him!  I'm sure he forgot, but I didn't...).  It is very 1980s (especially the hair), and has a lot of music that isn't really my style, but the segment (near the beginning if you look) with Mark Knopfler and Chet playing together is pretty amazing, and Chet is always amazing.  I love that he plays with nails like a classical player.  Neither of them is shredding the thing, but they were both just about at their best around that time in ways that matter (to me).  If I listened to music while running, some of these guys' playing would be in there.

Comfortable pain:  Trust me; it happens.  I can't think of a better description.  I remember very distinctly how it felt at my last half marathon.  It's as if your body is saying "this really hurts, but we will continue to try to find a way through it".  Another way I'd describe it is as a combination of honest doubt about whether you will put in the performance you aspire to, coupled with a kind of comforting confidence that you are going to give it everything you can, and knowing (largely from failing) what that feels like.

2013-01-15 5:31 AM
in reply to: #4578447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
Chunga - 2013-01-14 7:37 PM

Congrats to the racers!

I don't get Comfortable Pain.

You will as you keep training and you'll find that it's not as bad as it sounds. Like Micheal said it's pain that you know you can work through. It's the pain that you expect to have to work through at a certain point in a race (or training). You know it's coming. You know it's normal when you feel it and you know that it doesn't have to stop you. It's the pain that makes you stronger-not just in training/racing but in all aspects of life. After a while you come to embrace it, even seek it and wonder if that makes you crazy (I still don't know). You'll get there in the course of your training like any other aspect of this sport (or really any sport) and when you do it will be ok.

Got on the trainer last night and just rode easy for 45 minutes. Hoping to get a short run tonight but I'm still coughing stuff up so I might not if I don't feel good after work. hoping to get back to the Winter Bike Program on wednesday. I really do feel a lot better and I think I'm at the end of this thing.

Edited by nicoleg 2013-01-15 5:32 AM
2013-01-15 5:51 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning all! Swim at lunch and bike this evening. Hope everyone has a good day....enjoy those workouts. This is suppose to be fun!

Edited by slornow 2013-01-15 2:25 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66