BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-14 4:15 AM
in reply to: #4576652

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED

rquinn23 - 2013-01-13 9:18 PM Good weekend of training--had a really nice 12 mile run on Saturday morning, most of it with a small group of people from my running group. Weather was foggy (humid) but a perfect temperature before the sun burned through, and I felt pretty good. Did the second half faster than the first which is not normal for me. Today got out on the road bike for the first time this year, and immediately felt how out of shape my cycling muscles are! Not too worried, I get it back quickly, but nothing like a couple of group sprints to highlight the lack of conditioning in my quads! But on the ride I met a woman who did IM Louisville last year, her first IM, so I chatted with her for a while and got some good feedback from her, so that was a bonus! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Nice work this weekend!

It is good you have someone that can give you the insight on your IM! 

2013-01-14 4:16 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Up early as usual, headed to the pool this morning!  Lunch time run and then a test on the bike tomorrow!

I am looking forward to the weekend already as we head to St. Maarten Saturday for the week (or most of it)!

2013-01-14 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Hey all. Been a crazy week for me, so I apologize for being MIA. Hope things are going well for everyone!! I'll hopefully be around more this week.

2013-01-14 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4576363

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2013-01-13 4:50 PM

I ran 13.1 training run yesterday in 1:58.  That may not be fast for you but blazing for me.  That is about 5 days after the worst FTP test on the bike of my life.  Then the next time I went downstairs to ride found a flat tire.  I wonder if that affected things.  We are tossing the test either way.  Trying to balance more running earlier in the year with consistent bike improvement and it's not easy.  The long run is on day one of my week and I've been trying to to bike intensity on tired legs. Modifying the plan.  Full speed ahead. 

You guys write ALOT!  I have to catch up. 

That is great... Much like you, I am not a fast runner so I can appreciate how you feel....
2013-01-14 8:05 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Think I needed a little break this weekend.  Honestly, Saturday was sooo busy, I just didn't get to a workout.  I was up at 7am to get things done that had been piled up during the season.  Just soooo much to do around the house.  I got some stuff done just in time for my contractor to come by and plan out my pain cave/basement.  I should have a quote shortly!   After that, I was soooo tired!  We had plans with friends and I knew if I had started my workouts I would have to cxl plans.  So I skipped them.  Had a little too much red wine while out with friends Saturday night, and was worthless Sunday! LOL  Have to live a little sometimes!.  Back up and at them this week.  Talked to my coach last night, and he's got me doing an easy spin on the trainer to get back in the groove tonight instead of a planned rest day.  We've got some testing this week.  Not expecting much though with the diet.  I did hit 171 this weekend so that's good!  I usually race at 170.  Never been this close to race weight 2 weeks into January!  Hopefully, this means a new lower race weight this season!!
2013-01-14 8:07 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Oh yeah!..........besides getting my basement planned/quoted, I bought myself a new wetsuit this weekend.  I'll have to wait till the ice thaws to try it out though.  13 degrees here this am!  LOL

2013-01-14 8:49 AM

User image

Sunday was my 44th Birthday. I played hockey with the boys in the morning then went over to my brother's place to have pizza and birthday cake with my niece and nephew. Played some Just Dance 4 with the kids then was in bed by 9:30pm. I was up at 5:10am this morning to get in my Masters swim class. Then after work it is 1.5 hours of indoor bike followed by a 2 mile run brick.

The NHL is back and my Jets first home game is Saturday afternoon. They are sure cramming a lot of games in the next 3 months. There are a lot of home games on Tuesday and Thursday, which are my run days. I guess I will have to run at lunch instead of afterwork. I just hope I don't fall asleep during the third periods because I am used to going to bed at 9:00 - 9:30 each night.

We had a blizzard here over the weekend. 10+cm of snow, winds of over 70km/hr and temps with the windchill of -35C. I spent 45 minutes on Saturday morning snowblowing the chest high snowdrifts just so I could get my car out of the garage and drive way so I could get to my bike session. Then came home after and spend another 1.5 hours finishing off what I missed. I am looking forward to March when I head down to Weslaco, Texas for 3 weeks to visit my parents and do some swimming and biking in the nice Texas heat.

2013-01-14 9:04 AM

User image

Congrats on your new wetsuit!  What did you get?  I'm looking for a new one as well (old one no longer fits very well).  Any suggestions on how/where to shop?  It seems like there are a lot of sales now. Living in the desert our local sports shops don't carry many tri suits and online most places won't take returns, especially not after trying it out in the pool.  
2013-01-14 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4577181

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

RunningJoke - 2013-01-14 9:04 AM Congrats on your new wetsuit!  What did you get?  I'm looking for a new one as well (old one no longer fits very well).  Any suggestions on how/where to shop?  It seems like there are a lot of sales now. Living in the desert our local sports shops don't carry many tri suits and online most places won't take returns, especially not after trying it out in the pool.  

I got a Desoto T1 First wave.  It's a 2 piece, so can't wait to try it out.  I have a trishop in town that has an endless pool and they let you try them there.  However, they didn't carry Desoto.  I'm basically taking a chance on the 2 piece being good for me.  I've always had a hard time with longer than average legs and short torso frame.  I took advantage of the trisports.com 25% off this weekend and had a gift certificate for there from xmas.  Wetsuits are tough!  I'd suggest renting some before you buy.  But, like I said, I basically took a shot on this one.

2013-01-14 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4576990

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
zee744 - 2013-01-14 8:17 AM

Hey all. Been a crazy week for me, so I apologize for being MIA. Hope things are going well for everyone!! I'll hopefully be around more this week.

No need to apologize, we have no minimum attendance rules!  But good to hear from you, I was wondering!

2013-01-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4577074

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2013-01-14 9:07 AM Oh yeah!..........besides getting my basement planned/quoted, I bought myself a new wetsuit this weekend.  I'll have to wait till the ice thaws to try it out though.  13 degrees here this am!  LOL

Lake Michigan hasn't frozen over yet has it?  Give it a try a lunch time! Cool

2013-01-14 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4577138

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
DeVinci13 - 2013-01-14 9:49 AM

Sunday was my 44th Birthday. I played hockey with the boys in the morning then went over to my brother's place to have pizza and birthday cake with my niece and nephew. Played some Just Dance 4 with the kids then was in bed by 9:30pm. I was up at 5:10am this morning to get in my Masters swim class. Then after work it is 1.5 hours of indoor bike followed by a 2 mile run brick.

The NHL is back and my Jets first home game is Saturday afternoon. They are sure cramming a lot of games in the next 3 months. There are a lot of home games on Tuesday and Thursday, which are my run days. I guess I will have to run at lunch instead of afterwork. I just hope I don't fall asleep during the third periods because I am used to going to bed at 9:00 - 9:30 each night.

We had a blizzard here over the weekend. 10+cm of snow, winds of over 70km/hr and temps with the windchill of -35C. I spent 45 minutes on Saturday morning snowblowing the chest high snowdrifts just so I could get my car out of the garage and drive way so I could get to my bike session. Then came home after and spend another 1.5 hours finishing off what I missed. I am looking forward to March when I head down to Weslaco, Texas for 3 weeks to visit my parents and do some swimming and biking in the nice Texas heat.

Happy Birthday!  And a blizzard doesn't sound like anymore fun when discussed in the metric system!

Good to have the NHL back in action, but I don't know if I can handle watching 5 games a week!  Maybe I'll DVR them and watch them on the trainer and fast forward through the commercials.

2013-01-14 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4577181

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

RunningJoke - 2013-01-14 10:04 AM Congrats on your new wetsuit!  What did you get?  I'm looking for a new one as well (old one no longer fits very well).  Any suggestions on how/where to shop?  It seems like there are a lot of sales now. Living in the desert our local sports shops don't carry many tri suits and online most places won't take returns, especially not after trying it out in the pool.  

If you click on the sponsors link about it will take you here.

Xterra is a sponsor of this site and has a pretty good deal from what I can tell.  Also, Nytro and One Tri both sell wetsuits and have BT codes for discounts.  I found with most suits I tried, the online size guides were fairly accurate.  I heard from other reports that Xterra has a fairly reasonable return policy if you get it and find it doesn't fit. 

2013-01-14 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Looks like everyone is having unusual weather!! Has been raining here in Anchorage since Sat. morning - ground is frozen so we have flooding - schools are closed today due to the water freezing on the already icy roads.

Missed my saturday workout as I just wasn't feeling it - it was a swim so not worried. Got in my 65 minute treadmill run yesterday (no way was I getting outside!).  I had a spin class and short run scheduled today but may to have alter my plans since kids will be home.

Happy Monday!!!!

2013-01-14 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4577242

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2013-01-14 9:28 AM

RunningJoke - 2013-01-14 10:04 AM Congrats on your new wetsuit!  What did you get?  I'm looking for a new one as well (old one no longer fits very well).  Any suggestions on how/where to shop?  It seems like there are a lot of sales now. Living in the desert our local sports shops don't carry many tri suits and online most places won't take returns, especially not after trying it out in the pool.  

If you click on the sponsors link about it will take you here.

Xterra is a sponsor of this site and has a pretty good deal from what I can tell.  Also, Nytro and One Tri both sell wetsuits and have BT codes for discounts.  I found with most suits I tried, the online size guides were fairly accurate.  I heard from other reports that Xterra has a fairly reasonable return policy if you get it and find it doesn't fit. 

I hear a lot of good things about the Xterra suits.  I just wanted something a little more "fancy" this time!

and the lake still hasn't frozen!  We were above 50 on saturday morning.  It's now in the teens so it's in the freezing process now!  I'd get some practice sighting trying to avoid all the little iceburgs though! lol

2013-01-14 12:17 PM

User image

New user

2013-01-14 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hello All,

I am just now recovering from the emotional exhaustion of the Saturday Bronco game. I am not a huge football fan but I got sucked and it was so stressful. If you saw it, you know what I mean.

The weather here has been brutally cold! The current temp is 0 degrees!  I think it made it to maybe 14 today.  I didn't leave my house all weekend. Fortunately I have some work out equipment in the basement so I had no excuses to not get some training in.  

My coach has me focusing on running and I am now running four times a week consistantly. That is big for me. She also has me doing different type of workouts so maybe, just maybe I might see some improvement this year. Running is extremely tough for me but I haven't given up quite yet.

I am signed up to do a 10 mile race on Saturday. I might do the 5 miler instead but I haven't decided yet. It takes me a LONG time to do 10 miles and of course I have the whole "I don't want to be the last person" thing going on in my head (most or all of you probably haven't had to think that Tongue out)

I am having a new bike fit on Wednesday. It is really about finding a saddle for my tri bike but along with that will come a fit. There has got to be a saddle out there that will work for me but I haven't really found it yet.

I read something here about a chart or list of races people are doing?  where is that?  It is hard to keep up with all of you So great that this group is so active.

I bit the bullet and signed up for Kansas. I also reserved a room at the Holiday Inn Express. I am not a real camper so I wouldn't even know where to start with that!

I read the talk about evening workouts. I do almost all of my workouts in the evening. I just can't seem to get it together in the morning. 

All for now.

2013-01-15 12:21 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
Kathleen, I may be able to help you out with saddle issues, as I've been through numerous of saddles myself and found one that works very well, its just the matterof finding the right shorts (part of it is I lost weight and didn't realize the extra fabric is causing my issues. ) if you rather talk by PM that's fine too.

Do you know the shape of saddle you need? Pear shape or T shape. Do you know your sit bones width for both road position and tri position?

Have you tried Sells Italia Ldy Gel Flow? I have been in aero for this saddle and I'm super comfortable, even though its on a roadie.

I can help you with other saddles and what I hated and what I liked that may work for you.

Off for a search on perfect bike shorts!
2013-01-15 12:33 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
No decent workout today, unless if you call vacuuming the furry couch cushions and pillows. 6 cushions, 13 pillows and two bucket full of fur in vacuum. I put if off far too long. LOL!! I also pounded the pillows to give it life again, my arms got a workout.

It was freezing in Vegas...20-30 degrees. Fountains froze over, pools froze, water pipes froze, heck, even ice showed up on roads. It was a what the...? Caught myself saying, "Where am I? Rochester?" LOL!!! (I went to RIT for a few years).

But it'll be in the 60's this weekend, and I'm thinking about going to Calville Bay (hard climbs) or easy ride. Some of the people that are doing the ride isn't really into pace line and I may just end up doing the ride on my own (some of the girls are better climbers, faster than me, and others are much slower...not consistent). We'll see what happens.

2013-01-15 4:16 AM
in reply to: #4577640

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rquinn23 - 2013-01-14 1:17 PM This weekend's blog entry, if you're interested. http://beakersironmanjourney.blogspot.com/2013/01/dare-to-dreambut-...

Interesting post Becky! I get the IM dreams once in a while, but not this far out from the race! 

2013-01-15 4:17 AM
in reply to: #4578752

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2013-01-14 11:13 PM

Hello All,

I am just now recovering from the emotional exhaustion of the Saturday Bronco game. I am not a huge football fan but I got sucked and it was so stressful. If you saw it, you know what I mean.

The weather here has been brutally cold! The current temp is 0 degrees!  I think it made it to maybe 14 today.  I didn't leave my house all weekend. Fortunately I have some work out equipment in the basement so I had no excuses to not get some training in.  

My coach has me focusing on running and I am now running four times a week consistantly. That is big for me. She also has me doing different type of workouts so maybe, just maybe I might see some improvement this year. Running is extremely tough for me but I haven't given up quite yet.

I am signed up to do a 10 mile race on Saturday. I might do the 5 miler instead but I haven't decided yet. It takes me a LONG time to do 10 miles and of course I have the whole "I don't want to be the last person" thing going on in my head (most or all of you probably haven't had to think that Tongue out)

I am having a new bike fit on Wednesday. It is really about finding a saddle for my tri bike but along with that will come a fit. There has got to be a saddle out there that will work for me but I haven't really found it yet.

I read something here about a chart or list of races people are doing?  where is that?  It is hard to keep up with all of you So great that this group is so active.

I bit the bullet and signed up for Kansas. I also reserved a room at the Holiday Inn Express. I am not a real camper so I wouldn't even know where to start with that!

I read the talk about evening workouts. I do almost all of my workouts in the evening. I just can't seem to get it together in the morning. 

All for now.

I was hoping Denver would win that game too!

The running consistancy will help more than you probably realize.  It will take a bit, but you will get there!

2013-01-15 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4578752

User image

New user

Hello All,

I might do the 5 miler instead but I haven't decided yet. It takes me a LONG time to do 10 miles and of course I have the whole "I don't want to be the last person" thing going on in my head (most or all of you probably haven't had to think that  

All for now.

Good luck to you with your running goals, Kathleen. And don't talk yourself out of the 10 miler--even if you're last, you're still beating everyone still in bed or on the couch, so keep up the positive self talk, never negative! Find the mantra that will work for you in a race that you can repeat to yourself when needed. When I am feeling like I just want to stop running and curl up on the side of the road and let everyone else pass, I start singing "Just keep running, just keep running" to the tune of Dori singing "Just keep swimming" from Nemo. I also think about previous runs or races that were difficult, but that I made it through, so that lets me know that I KNOW I can do it. I just have to keep running! Let us know how it goes.
2013-01-15 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4577640

User image

Expert
San Jose

rquinn23 - 2013-01-14 10:17 AM This weekend's blog entry, if you're interested. http://beakersironmanjourney.blogspot.com/2013/01/dare-to-dreambut-...

The beauty of having those dreams this early is they'll really make you get prepared! It'll be a fun year for you.

2013-01-15 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4579038

User image

Expert
San Jose
rquinn23 - 2013-01-15 6:35 AM

Hello All,

I might do the 5 miler instead but I haven't decided yet. It takes me a LONG time to do 10 miles and of course I have the whole "I don't want to be the last person" thing going on in my head (most or all of you probably haven't had to think that  

All for now.

Good luck to you with your running goals, Kathleen. And don't talk yourself out of the 10 miler--even if you're last, you're still beating everyone still in bed or on the couch, so keep up the positive self talk, never negative! Find the mantra that will work for you in a race that you can repeat to yourself when needed. When I am feeling like I just want to stop running and curl up on the side of the road and let everyone else pass, I start singing "Just keep running, just keep running" to the tune of Dori singing "Just keep swimming" from Nemo. I also think about previous runs or races that were difficult, but that I made it through, so that lets me know that I KNOW I can do it. I just have to keep running! Let us know how it goes.

Ditto! Slow is still faster than the people not getting out of the house. I'm a slow runner too. It's only been in the last year that I feel like I could really work on some speed and that has taken me to an average pace Whichever distance you chose, just have fun with it.

2013-01-15 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Failed at getting up yesterday morning for swim I got 3 swims in last week but looks like this week is only going to be 2.

Went out for a run with my daughter last night. I'm doing a walk/run program with her to get her going. We walked 2 min and ran 7 min and averaged 10:40 for 3 miles. That was the fastest we've gone so far. I'm getting used to these walk breaks! After our 10K next month I really need to get back to regular running but it's been fun to ease back into running.

Here's the lastest puppy video in case anyone needs a fix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdRu7cWy8s

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64