BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-24 12:00 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Happy Birthday Rachel, headed out camping this weekend, so no phone, no internet, and hopefully a warm enough river to swim in, planning on a couple of runs at the minimum, and a couple of swims. Have a great weekend everyone.

2013-05-24 3:43 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Happy birthday Rachel!

My plans for the weekend are just to get that long'ish' bike ride out of the way!
2013-05-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Happy birthday, Rachel! Hope you have a wonderful evening out. My birthday is on Monday and my husband asked what I wanted to do. My response was, "Well, the local bike shop is riding the half Ironman course that morning..."

Had a good swim (for me) today...3 X 500 yards and and took a good 10 minutes off my 1500 time from earlier this week.

Today was also my last day of work until July 31st. I'm ready to get serious with training!
2013-05-24 6:23 PM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
AAHHHH I've been in seminars for the last two days so my brain is fried!!

RACHEL - Happy Birthday!! And enjoy your ride this weekend.
Mary - Good luck this weekend!
Scott - good luck to you as well!!

We are unseasonably cold for May here in the Northeast. The Marathon in Burlington, VT this weekend and I think they are going to see some snow! YIKES.

Treadmill for me tomorrow. Had my last pool swim lesson yesterday. Wednesday we move to open water. EEK!

Enjoy your holiday everyone!
2013-05-24 6:23 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Rachel - Happy birthday!

Blanda – Have a great swim! The last time I was in Hawaii I swam with a sea turtle all day. It was so cool.

Jim – Thanks for the Hoka update. I’m going to have to get me a pair of those. My GTS 1300 Brooks do well for short runs (10k and less) but for the longer runs I do feel beat up. And yes, we are getting older, but as a triathlete, at a slower rate.

I got in a good steady 1450m swim and a 4.8 mile run this am. I have a moderate bike ride on tap for tomorrow (1.5 hour) and a short run on Sunday, as long as the weather holds out.
2013-05-24 7:36 PM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

Veteran
Denton

Rachel - Happy Birthday!

Long training day completed. 3000 yard swim this morning followed by a 30 minute run/90 minute bike reverse brick. I am beat now ... 

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. Enjoy the time spent with the family and/or friends. 

2013-05-24 8:57 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey everyone, just checking in. I got in a 7 mile run this morning and a 3,500yd swim this afternoon. Nate and I are heading up to NC to do a practice ride on the Ironman Raleigh 70.3 course. It looks like a pretty perfect weekend as far as weather goes, so if I can get some sleep tonight, it should be a fun weekend. I hope everyone enjoys the holiday weekend!
2013-05-25 6:48 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Weather in the "Georgialina" regions is PERFECT this weekend. Today's high is 77 degrees...can't wait to get out on my bike this morning.

Regular open water swims start this week for me. We've got 3 great places here in Augusta...a local spring fed pond, which is a great entry level site, the dam (Clarks Hill Lake/Strom Thurmond Dam) 10 miles north (and the site of the Hot Dam triathlon in September) and the Savannah River (site of Augusta 70.3). Will be hitting up all three throughout the summer. I had a confidence building swim session yesterday (3 X 500 yard swims), but I still have no idea how I'll ever be able to swim 1500 yards without a break! I'm sure it'll come eventually...

Have a great weekend everyone. Happy Memorial Day for those of you in the states!
2013-05-25 12:11 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Just checking in....

I'm trying to overload myself different groups in my area for training. I found a Tri Club called Houston Racing Tri Club - they are huge and it seems like they do a lot of fun activity type things. I'm not sure yet what kind of training groups they have, but I am sure I will find out soon. I know that once a month they do what is called 'Splash and Dash' - a 400m OWS and 1 mile run. I've seen them do it before and it looks like a lot of 'friendly competition'

I also joined a Girls on Wheels group - they just started really and I know a few of the people from various tri's I've done. Very friendly, and they ride at a pace I can hold! We went out today and did a easy loop, then did a second loop at your own pace. One day I know I'll be able to hang with the 'fast people' but today was not that day. Gotta start somewhere, right?

This ride is an excellent place to get in a brick workout. Now that everyone in my house is back to normal health, I can actually start training. Looking forward to a new week!
2013-05-25 4:05 PM
in reply to: khharms

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-beautiful morning here today. Was having a great bike workout until about 45 miles in when I hit a depression/hole in the road and crashed. I've passed that spot literally a hundred times but today it caught me, I lost control and went off the right side of the road crashing into the dirt/grass between the road and the sidewalk. Several people stopped and checked on me and I caught a ride 2 miles back to the car in a guys truck.   Road rash on right shoulder/back, right hip and a big gash/gouge in my right knee. Eventually hit my head during the course of the crash and cracked my helmet.

Felt OK but bike chain was a mess and wanted to get the bike checked out so packed up and dropped the bike off at my LBS before heading home to get cleaned up. I've got my priorities in order. The fact that I was bloody and dirty didn't phase the folks at the bike shop Eventually, wife and I agreed that I should get checked out. No broken bones, no noticeable head injury and no stitches in the knee. Should be able to race next weekend assuming nothing gets worse. Antibiotics, muscle relaxer and lortab to help me get through.

My LBS already has the bike checked out. Only casualty was my front Zipp race wheel which cracked. Had the race wheels on as I always like to get in a ride on them outdoors before a race.

Could have been so much worse. Not excited to join our ever growing "I had a bike crash club."  Looks like tomorrow will be an unscheduled rest day. BE SAFE OUT THERE...this one came out of nowhere.  I've got some grisly pictures but I'll spare you.

2013-05-25 4:33 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by slornow

Could have been so much worse. Not excited to join our ever growing "I had a bike crash club."  Looks like tomorrow will be an unscheduled rest day. BE SAFE OUT THERE...this one came out of nowhere.  I've got some grisly pictures but I'll spare you.

Hey, who said you could join our club! I am sorry but this is a very exclusive club and NO ONE else from this group is allowed to join.

Everyone please be careful out there, especially on this holiday weekend. In addition to roads coming up and biting you there are lots more cars out there. Be Safe!

2013-05-25 4:53 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Veteran
Denton
Randy - Glad you are ok and hope you can make it to the race next weekend. Sorry about the wheel but at least that can be replaced. Take care and feel better. 
2013-05-25 5:59 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Randy -- very glad you're OK... seems to be an unsettling trend with this mentor group though!  

Hope everyone stays safe.  I'm in last-minute prep for the HM tomorrow -- have been hydrating all day, currently preparing a good pasta meal for dinner.  Start time is 7am sharp which means leaving home at 5:30...  no midnight workouts tonight!

Good news is the weather should be perfect.   Forecast is for 6C (42F) at the gun, rising to 13C (55F) by the time I finish.   Some of you may find that a bit on the chilly side -- for this Canadian, it's exactly the running weather I love!

2013-05-25 6:02 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

New user
Randy, I am so glad you are ok. I am sorry to hear about your crash but it sounds like it could have been so much worse. It will be great if you can race the weekend after something like that!
I did a 41 mile ride this morning. I was pretty tired by the end but that is the farthest I have ridden.
Enjoy the holiday weekend everyone.
2013-05-25 9:20 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Sorry to hear about the crash but glad to hear you're ok. Every person I know who's a bicyclist says eventually everyone crashes. Not looking forward to my time.
2013-05-25 9:51 PM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Got in a 32 mile ride this am. Windy but it's Kansas. Got a 10k planned for tomorrow am. Have a safe Memorial Weekend. Remember those who have sacrificed their lives in service for our Nation.

2013-05-26 3:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Happy belated birthday, Rachel!! Hope you had a great day.

Randy, I'm so glad you didn't get hurt more and the bike didn't suffer too much damage. Take care of the injuries, and rest to let the body heal nice and well for the race!

Did my 2.5 mile swim event this morning in 1:53. It wasn't the sightseeing adventure I was expecting, but an amazing experience even though. I was surprised by my how 2 minutes before take off I was going through all the what ifs in my head, but when the guy said go, all of the anxiety disappeared. I put my head down and swam. I was cautious because it was tough to see from one buoy to the next, but I swam confidently. I was really happy with my sighting. I was only herded back towards the course once, and I wasn't that far off. The problem was I was mistaking white caps on the waves for swimmers. It was tough with the sun in the eyes. When we got cloud coverage it was SO much easier to spot the swimmers ahead and I was able to speed up a bit.

I did end up with a horrible headache. I had not eaten a thing, stupid me! My stomach was such a mess this morning I couldn't imagine putting anything into it. I wish I had forced down something. Came out of the water, pulled off my goggles and cap and it's like the headache was waiting under the cap to spill down into my forehead and eyes. Blech! They made me sit at the med section for some iburprofen and water. Felt fine after the meds kicked in.

A great experience, and I can't wait to do it again.

Enjoy your weekends, folks! Those of you healing, I hope you've made some progress to be happy with.

Happy training!

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-26 3:58 AM
2013-05-26 5:39 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Randy-I am glad to hear it wasn't worse, but having just gone through it I know the next couple of days will  be rough.  Did you buy a new helmet?  My one day old Kasis sits in our garage with a ding looking all lonely, but I heard if you fall once, it's done.  What about the wheel?

Blanda--congratulations on a great swim!

I've been enjoying some sunny, but very cool weather to get some longer rides in outside while in Minocqua.  Still on the road bike, but hope to give my TT bike a try late next week.  Things are still sore, but I am definitely healing!  Pain has traversed from a Level 7 to 3 in two weeks.

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-05-26 5:41 AM
2013-05-26 5:48 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Randy! I'm glad you're ok, very scary stuff... and it can happen so easily...

I am delighted I done a proper bike ride today (although realized that I do need to learn to change a flat as I hit a bump so hard I heard a pop and thought that was it - it wasn't, and now seeing Randy's crash I'm thinking a flat would have not been the worst that could have happened).
Anyway, done 14 miles, short for most of you and not quite as much as I should have been doing at this stage but I'll get there. Getting there.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318133121
2013-05-26 6:14 AM

User image

Randy...I'm so sorry about your crash, but so pleased to hear that you're okay.

Speaking of bikes...I have a question. I have a Felt B16. I love my bike, but am having a few issues when I'm on the aerobars. I can't ride on them as much as I'd like as I do a lot of my riding with the local bike shop, and rule #1 when riding with them is NO AEROBARS. I totally respect that, particularly when riding in a group of 60 people in close quarters.

I do make myself get on the bars, though, when I'm doing my 45-60 minute rides by myself during the week. And it just feels squirrely up there. The front end seems so much more unstable. I don't know if it's because of how I'm positioning myself on them, the amount of weight I have up on the front end, etc. I've had a proper bike fit, so that shouldn't be the issue. I know a lot of it is just time and practice, but I feel that whenever I shift my weight a smidge, my front end gets a little erratic. It's not comforting.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-05-26 6:14 AM
2013-05-26 6:33 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Everyone-sounds like a good training day yesterday. Good job.

Blanda-2.5 mile swim. That is phenomenal. Can still remember when you were trying to get from one end of the pool to the other. Really impressed with your accomplishment and determination.

Dave-funny but right after...like as soon as I sat up, I thought....OK so I fianlly crashed.....it was just a matter of time. Good luck with the 10k today.

Suzy-the helmet is scrap as it is cracked all the way through the styrofoam liner in several places. Will head to the LBS for a new one on Tuesday. So glad I went to the doctor and had xrays done as my shoulder/neck gave me fits last night and I would have been worried about a broken collarbone.

I have thought back about the crash alot since yesterday. I was well into a hard interval, going about 23-24mph and close to my  turn around spot. Had just passed a string of cars that were parked off the right side of the road which is unusual for this road. I think I missed the visual clues that I usually rely on to remind me of the depression in the road. Or, I may have been checking my Garmin or grabbing a water bottle....just don't remember why I didn't see it.  Looking back at the minutes afterward I think I hit right lower body. right shoulder/back and then head. I was a little foggy for a minute or two after the crash. Even though it was not a direct hit the helmet took alot of impact. I would never ride without a helmet and am certain that without a helmet I would have suffered a serious head injury. No matter how short the trip or slow the ride...put that helmet on! My wife is now threatening to make me wear one on the rollers in the garage. Have to admit that in hindsight I was very lucky. Thanks for all the  well wishes.

Today will be more couch time and trying to clean up some of my gear. It was my first ride in my new tri shoes. Pretty, white and comfy Specialized Tri Vents. My firs new bike shoes in 3+ years. They got all scraped up and now look like my "old" tri shoes. Will be online looking for a front wheel replacement. Not how I want to be spending money right now but better than wasting money in the hospital

Have fun today everyone. I didn't need mine yesterday but if you don't have a road ID for when you run/ride. GET ONE!

Edited by slornow 2013-05-26 6:37 AM

2013-05-26 9:58 AM

Hudson Valley Region
Randy, glad to hear you are not seriously injured. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

I keep an expired driver's license in my top tube bag, as well as my cell phone so, if someone finds me in a ditch I hope they check for it :-) I also hope no one ever finds me in a ditch.

Did a short 40-lap swim this morning. Going to try to squeeze in an easy walk/run later today. It's chilly in the Northeast today -- great running weather.

-Mark
2013-05-26 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Calgary, AB
Half marathon complete - and I beat my goal!! Haven't seen official results but my Garmin time was 2:10:20. It was a perfect day for running and I felt great. Last 5k were a challenge but I can't complain about anything. Icing on the cake - I did the first 10k in 59 minutes which was a goal of mine for 2013. Thanks all for the support and encouragement! Scott
2013-05-26 11:57 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Master
South Alabama
Great job Scott!
2013-05-26 12:39 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Hoos Half marathon complete - and I beat my goal!! Haven't seen official results but my Garmin time was 2:10:20. It was a perfect day for running and I felt great. Last 5k were a challenge but I can't complain about anything. Icing on the cake - I did the first 10k in 59 minutes which was a goal of mine for 2013. Thanks all for the support and encouragement! Scott

Woo-Hoo!  Time to celebrate!

Randy--I definitely wear my Road ID all the time.  For me, I think it is better than the driver's license or cell phone.  I'm epileptic and it lets people know it in case I am out cold on the side of the road.  It also can outline any drug allergies you might have.  well worth the $20.

Long run done, skipping a bike to go have lunch with some friends.  Wine tasting tonight.  The Holiday Weekend continues.  Enjoy it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88